Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N62NA

Re: UA Plans to Return to JFK in 2021

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:49 pm

psa1011 wrote:
So where will UA operate once T7 is gone?

There has been a lot of speculation about that earlier in this topic.

FlyGuy27

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:28 pm

Regarding the lounge situation - UA flyers are used to sub-optimal lounges at EWR and probably don't expect much. I'm assuming that the folks flying J out of JFK on UA are there for network reasons, e.g. UA or *A loyal. I can't imagine a lounge would materially impact the purchase decision.

That said, no lounge is not exactly a good way to entice new customers.

flight152

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:54 pm

FlyGuy27 wrote:
Regarding the lounge situation - UA flyers are used to sub-optimal lounges at EWR and probably don't expect much. I'm assuming that the folks flying J out of JFK on UA are there for network reasons, e.g. UA or *A loyal. I can't imagine a lounge would materially impact the purchase decision.

Sub-optimal? Guess they’ve never been to the Polaris lounge.

jetmatt777

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:57 pm

Baby steps. There is no business travel right now, and many airline clubs are still closed or offer reduced service on account of the pandemic. United can never do anything right it seems. They have to start service and see if the effort is worth it financially before dumping millions in real estate leases and remodels. I am sure United is searching for a long-term solution to the JFK station, but the first step has to be made of bringing airplanes in. They have done that. Give them some time to work on the facilities, it's not as if JFK has hundreds of thousands of square feet of vacant space.

gsg013

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:55 pm

flight152 wrote:
FlyGuy27 wrote:

You don't get in the Polaris Lounge flying J EWR-LAX or EWR-SFO... I am fairly certain those flights get the domestic United Club experience.

This is the explanation of United Premium Service on the Newark to San Francisco and Los Angeles Transcon... (I would think it would be nice if they added polaris ground service to this route, but what do I know)
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/tr ... vices.html

ContinentalEWR

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:18 pm

flight152 wrote:
FlyGuy27 wrote:

Polaris Lounges are actually amazing but on UA, flying in Polaris to/from LAX/SFO to/from EWR doesn't get you access to Polaris, only the United Club. At JFK, looks like UA will be subcontracting with either BA or AS in T7 though those lounges are shut so there's really nothing right now to subcontract. The BA Terraces Lounge at JFK is meh, even after the renovation. Haven't been to the AS Boardroom at JFK but ironically, as has been mentioned here before, it is located exactly where the UA Red Carpet Club used to be in T7.

VC10er

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:21 pm

EWR United Club improvement is just a matter of time (even if it’s a long time). EWR is getting a brand new giant United Club upstairs on the roof (entrance near Gate 132 I think?) and will have an outdoor space and probably a great view of the runways. Once open the original upstairs club over the food court is supposed to be truly renovated vs the band aids that are currently there.

“One day” both East and West coasts will have very good clubs... and those of us who recall old RCC clubs (and the porcelain Chinese lions) will be VERY distant memories!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

STT757

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:28 pm

I was hoping that United would use the new Terminal One at EWR for Transcon LAX/SFO flights. They could build a dedicated “Coastal” lounge.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

codc10

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:39 pm

FlyGuy27 wrote:

Unfortunately there is no "lounge situation" at JFK T7. All lounges (BA/AS) at closed due to COVID, and there's simply no reasonable possibility of getting either airline to reopen their space(s) to serve premium passengers on just two non-daily flights (for the moment). UA's announcement of JFK service was relatively recent, and the lead time for major construction at any airport, let alone a facility in the New York area overseen by the PANYNJ, is much greater than the barely six months that have elapsed since United went public with plans to resume JFK flying.

I suppose things would be different if UA resumed operations from T4 rather than T7, but I have no idea what went on behind the scenes in reaching this decision.

With all that said, I decided to reach out to a UA contact regarding the issue, who assures me that the absence of a lounge at JFK should by no means be considered a permanent state of affairs. "Stay tuned," is the response I got... we shall see.

VC10er wrote:
EWR United Club improvement is just a matter of time (even if it’s a long time). EWR is getting a brand new giant United Club upstairs on the roof (entrance near Gate 132 I think?) and will have an outdoor space and probably a great view of the runways. Once open the original upstairs club over the food court is supposed to be truly renovated vs the band aids that are currently there.

“One day” both East and West coasts will have very good clubs... and those of us who recall old RCC clubs (and the porcelain Chinese lions) will be VERY distant memories!

There has been activity at the C-3 club for a month or two, based on my observation. It's unclear exactly what work is going on, and its pace, but there are signs of life behind the Tyvek walls... a few months ago it was disclosed that United would soon be resuming certain (not all) capital projects that were halted in early 2020, so I very much hope this is one, and the scope of the work has not been curtailed too dramatically.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos