Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread - October 2020

Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:33 pm

Welcome to the Australian Aviation Thread - October 2020. Please add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1451077
Forum Moderator

PlutekPlutek

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:38 am

Does anyone know when Singapore Airlines introduced the 747-400 on the SIN-SYD route?
I flew on Singapore Airlines 747 (not sure which variant) from Singapore to Sydney in July 1991.
I did some searching for historical timetables, and the closest I found was for 1992, which has them operating SIN-SYD once daily, SQ211 with 743 listed as equipment. The flight timings match - I do remember departing late in the evening, and landing first thing in the morning.

Cheers
LP

EK413

Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:55 am

Nice short 4 minute clip overview of ASP aircraft in storage.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CFrMaNZB4b ... mtwa4g2da7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

melpax

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:06 am

Flight Centre closing another 90 stores in Australia.

Not a suprise when some of the larger malls here have 2 Flight Centre outlets, and sometimes more, when you take their other brands into account.

Have also heard that store management staff have been told to reapply for their jobs....

https://www.theage.com.au/business/comp ... 560zs.html
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

IndianicWorld

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:42 am

melpax wrote:

Not a suprise when some of the larger malls here have 2 Flight Centre outlets, and sometimes more, when you take their other brands into account.

Have also heard that store management staff have been told to reapply for their jobs....

Sad news for all involved.

I do think that this day was coming for the Flight Centre business model anyway though, as the mix of online and in-person sales continues to shift.

This pandemic has obviously stopped travel in its tracks, but this has just quickened the pace of change. There was going to be a time soon that carrying those additional costs were going to become a necessity to cut. Just the way travel is going, and retail in general has transformed into.

melpax

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:58 am

IndianicWorld wrote:

Sad news for all involved.

I do think that this day was coming for the Flight Centre business model anyway though, as the mix of online and in-person sales continues to shift.

This pandemic has obviously stopped travel in its tracks, but this has just quickened the pace of change. There was going to be a time soon that carrying those additional costs were going to become a necessity to cut. Just the way travel is going, and retail in general has transformed into.

As you said, this was likely to happen in the future anyway, especially when they had multiple stores in some malls - one of my local malls (Eastland in Ringwood) pre-Covid, had 2 Flight Centre branded outlets, and 1 other FC outlet under the Student Traveller brand. There was an STA Travel outlet & a Helloworld store. I suspect when non-essential retail is allowed to reopen down here, that mall will most likely only have the 1 FC outlet & the Helloworld outlet remaining.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Chipmunk1973

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:31 am

Just came home after a week in Cairns. While enjoying the “smoking lounge” outside CNS, I was lucky to see a QF Freight B737 being unloaded and the operation of the freight door. At a guess I think it was a B737-300 as it was in QF livery. Surprised to see they still have the “eyebrow” windows on the flight deck.

I’m quite amazed by the size of the freight door. They must remove a substantial part of the fuselage to fit that. How do you reinforce for all that removed frame?

Thanks.
Cheers,
C1973

B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.

NZ801

Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:54 am

Does anyone think much will change in terms of flights being offered to NZ after October 16 or will airlines wait until there is two way travel?

IndianicWorld

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:54 am

NZ801 wrote:
Does anyone think much will change in terms of flights being offered to NZ after October 16 or will airlines wait until there is two way travel?

I doubt there will be a big uplift in demand.

Tourism is still not likely to be a big boost given the quarantine requirements on the return to NZ, and without Australian traveler demand the economics aren’t as favourable.

Only once it is a true travel bubble will it be a significant step forward.

VH-BZF

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:10 am

VH-ZNK looks as though it may be the next in line to depart BNE for LAX/VCV. Don't have a firm date as yet, but it could be in the next week or so.

BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

zkncj

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:28 pm

NZ801 wrote:

NZ is already flying SYD 7x weekly 789 and 2x weekly a320 (these are passenger services). In addition to that there is often extra 787 services which are freight only.

The catch will be likely there will have to be services run which are only for Tasman passengers.

Example at the moment NZ is current transiting passengers from LAX, NRT, PVG, HKG onto SYD/BNE. Which then could effect the Tasman only passengers.

zkncj

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:33 pm

If the Tasman (selected states) was to go to way travel by the end of the month.

How pre-pared would QF/VA be to make this happen on there end? Both of them have pretty much mothball 99% of there International Operations.

Have they both been keeping there 738s up to required standards to operate long distance over water?

Also on an crewing front, how short notice can they re-call crew and get them current again?

NZ801

Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:12 am

QF and JQ have started selling fares to NZ from 16/10. Interestingly they state flights between destinations we have not see before is possible.

JQ have some good prices but QF is on the steep side. VA are not flying.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industri ... ubble-news

DavidByrne

Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:55 am

If we really want a Transtasman bubble, the sensible way to do it would be to require long-haul pax to quarantine at the first point of entry. So US-originating pax bound for Australia would quarantine in Auckland, and NZ-bound pax transiting Australia would quarantine there. Then they could fly pax on the existing Tasman flights. But somehow I doubt that would get traction at a political level, despite the upside for the airlines.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

xiaotung

Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:37 am

DavidByrne wrote:
If we really want a Transtasman bubble, the sensible way to do it would be to require long-haul pax to quarantine at the first point of entry. So US-originating pax bound for Australia would quarantine in Auckland, and NZ-bound pax transiting Australia would quarantine there. Then they could fly pax on the existing Tasman flights. But somehow I doubt that would get traction at a political level, despite the upside for the airlines.

I think Australia has already said anyone who has spent at least 14 days in New Zealand will be welcome to travel to NSW/NT.

jrfspa320

Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:19 am

xiaotung wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

I think Australia has already said anyone who has spent at least 14 days in New Zealand will be welcome to travel to NSW/NT.

With no direct flights from NZ to NT, guessing travellers would have to fly via BNE to avoid quarantine? As Sydney is still a hotspot according the NT gov.....

myki

Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:39 am

1 a week AKL-DRW as a temporary route perhaps?

xiaotung

Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:44 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
xiaotung wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

With no direct flights from NZ to NT, guessing travellers would have to fly via BNE to avoid quarantine? As Sydney is still a hotspot according the NT gov.....

NT has announced Sydney will be removed from the hotspot list from 9 Oct. They would not have grouped NSW/NT together if there was still state border restrictions.

zkncj

Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:08 am

myki wrote:

Maybe once two way travel is allowed? Hardly think there would be much of an market of an NT holiday when you have to pay $3000NZD on your return to New Zealand.

Although could become an back door into QLD for New Zealanders, that want to avoid the 14 managed isolation in QLD currently from New Zealand. Spend 14 days in NT doing what you like, then arrive into QLD an free person from NT.

NZ801

Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:09 am

zkncj wrote:
myki wrote:

Maybe once two way travel is allowed? Hardly think there would be much of an market of an NT holiday when you have to pay $3000NZD on your return to New Zealand.

Although could become an back door into QLD for New Zealanders, that want to avoid the 14 managed isolation in QLD currently from New Zealand. Spend 14 days in NT doing what you like, then arrive into QLD an free person from NT.

I think we need to remember these flights are about Australians coming home not people from NZ holidaying.

DavidByrne

Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:33 am

xiaotung wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

Exactly, so to avoid mixing pax originating in NZ with US-originating pax who may be transiting to Australia via AKL, have the transit pax do their quarantine in AKL. Then no probs for anyone on arrival, no segregation of pax etc, and no need to run both Covid-free and potentially-Covid-carrying flights.

DavidByrne

Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 am

myki wrote:

I've got my heart set on AKL-HBA, which I've been flying regularly for more than 30 years with an irritating change at either SYD or MEL. The locals have been telling me for about 5 years that NZ is on the cusp of launching the route, but nothing so far. Given Tassie's covid-free status, it could be very appealing for NZers. I hope . . .

NZ801

Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:48 am

DavidByrne wrote:
myki wrote:

I've got my heart set on AKL-HBA, which I've been flying regularly for more than 30 years with an irritating change at either SYD or MEL. The locals have been telling me for about 5 years that NZ is on the cusp of launching the route, but nothing so far. Given Tassie's covid-free status, it could be very appealing for NZers. I hope . . .

I read yesterday the Tasmanian Premier said it would be Christmas early next year before the airport was ready for international flights.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-02/ ... e/12726536

tullamarine

Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:27 am

DavidByrne wrote:
myki wrote:

Tasmania won't be allowed to consider international flights until it opens to interstate travellers even if its airport could handle them. It is in the same basket as other provincial states WA and Qld.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

DavidByrne

Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:38 am

NZ801 wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
myki wrote:

I read yesterday the Tasmanian Premier said it would be Christmas early next year before the airport was ready for international flights.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-02/ ... e/12726536

I'd be happy with that! But I'm not holding my breath.

NZ801

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:13 am

tullamarine wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
myki wrote:

Tasmania won't be allowed to consider international flights until it opens to interstate travellers even if its airport could handle them. It is in the same basket as other provincial states WA and Qld.

Tasmania is opening its borders October 26.

qf002

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:43 am

DavidByrne wrote:
Exactly, so to avoid mixing pax originating in NZ with US-originating pax who may be transiting to Australia via AKL, have the transit pax do their quarantine in AKL. Then no probs for anyone on arrival, no segregation of pax etc, and no need to run both Covid-free and potentially-Covid-carrying flights.

Now would be a great time to trial running Tasman services within the domestic infrastructure. That way you are completely segregated from "dirty" international passengers.

I don't know how it would work but with such low volumes and such tight controls now would be the time to try something new.

RyanairGuru

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:54 am

qf002 wrote:

Now would be a great time to trial running Tasman services within the domestic infrastructure. That way you are completely segregated from "dirty" international passengers.

I don't know how it would work but with such low volumes and such tight controls now would be the time to try something new.

Sadly it would be almost impossible to manage from an immigration perspective. I think customs and quarantine could actually be handled relatively easily, but not immigration.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

grh

Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:05 am

Looks like the first QQ Ejet

Embraer 190 AR 190.00222 N922QQ TVPX Aircraft Solutions regd 02oct20, parked at SJO ex HP-1569CMP

zkncj

Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:56 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
qf002 wrote:

Sadly it would be almost impossible to manage from an immigration perspective. I think customs and quarantine could actually be handled relatively easily, but not immigration.

Right now immigration could be handled very simply, the majority of the passengers would have the right to live/work in Australia or New Zealand.
I would suggest that Immigration is handled at the point of departure e.g. USA's Pre Clearance but simpler setup.

It could be done at the departure gate with two SmartGates per gate etc, and an Immigration officer there to vet / deal with special cases.

Once an passenger checks in, they are already getting vetted.

RyanairGuru

Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:08 am

zkncj wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
qf002 wrote:

Right now immigration could be handled very simply, the majority of the passengers would have the right to live/work in Australia or New Zealand.
I would suggest that Immigration is handled at the point of departure e.g. USA's Pre Clearance but simpler setup.

It could be done at the departure gate with two SmartGates per gate etc, and an Immigration officer there to vet / deal with special cases.

Once an passenger checks in, they are already getting vetted.

I was thinking that a smart gate at the aerobridge would work, but beyond the logistics of installing it, in Australia the departure and arrivals smart gates are different, so it isn't as simple as installing one and being done with it.

The issues aren't insurmountable, but won't be easy to overcome.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

SCFlyer

Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:32 am

Branson (Corvina Holdings) expected to take a 5% stake in Virgin Australia (mk 2). Queensland Government also expected (controversially) to take a minority 2% stake.
Bain holds the 93% stake and is expected to take the company private.

Branson: https://www.afr.com/street-talk/branson ... 004-p561uq
Qld Government: https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 5624r.html

tullamarine

Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:12 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Branson (Corvina Holdings) expected to take a 5% stake in Virgin Australia (mk 2). Queensland Government also expected (controversially) to take a minority 2% stake.
Bain holds the 93% stake and is expected to take the company private.

Branson: https://www.afr.com/street-talk/branson ... 004-p561uq
Qld Government: https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 5624r.html

Of course it has to be private. There is no public stock available for trading. From a management point of view, it is easier and cheaper to remain unlisted so I wouldn't expect VA to return to the ASX for many years, if ever. At some point Bain may want to exit or sell-down but, even then, it may decide a trade sale is more effective than an IPO.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

tullamarine

Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:23 am

It's interesting to see NZ's reaction to AU opening up potential flights between the 2 countries. So far, they have refused to allow traffic between Covid-free regions of Australia and NZ without 2 weeks self-quarantine which, unsurprisingly, has made the whole proposal pointless. Of course there is politics at play here with NZ in election mode but it does seem they are adopting an eradication strategy which will probably mean that is borders will remain shut for the foreseeable future.

AU, probably sensibly, has decided that it needs to open up sooner rather than later even if only to countries that are equally as successful in suppression as itself. I wonder if this means we may see travel bubbles with countries such as Singapore and Fiji before the trans-Tasman bubble ever happens.

CraigAnderson

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:16 am

melpax wrote:

I've heard as well that all staff have to reapply for their jobs, which sounds to me like a breach of employment terms? Anyway, had to come at some stage. I was always amazed that Flight Centre had so many retail stores, multiple stores in many suburbs, plus all the offshoot brands. Some consolidation was bound to happen.

tullamarine

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
melpax wrote:

I've heard as well that all staff have to reapply for their jobs, which sounds to me like a breach of employment terms? Anyway, had to come at some stage. I was always amazed that Flight Centre had so many retail stores, multiple stores in many suburbs, plus all the offshoot brands. Some consolidation was bound to happen.

A "spill and fill" is not illegal as long as handled fairly with redundancy for those staff not retained. Flight Centre did have a number of divisions including corporate (Corporate Traveller), events and student travel. Not all of these run retail outlets but it does indicate the breadth of the business which is naturally reducing due to the current situation.

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:40 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
melpax wrote:

It's true, all retail staff must reapply for their positions.

While the process was slow pre-Covid, FCTG was in the process of consolidating their footprint. They retired the Escape and Cruiseabout brands, which is part of the reason their are multiple Flight Centre branded stores seemingly next to each other, and we're closing stores as leases came up. Covid has given them both the impetus and excuse to speed things up significantly.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

aschachter

Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:11 am

I know they are not in the best financial situation to be doing this, but I wonder if Qantas would be interested an a bargain buy of 737 Max aircraft, given Boeing have a number of white tails after a number of airlines have either cancelled orders or gone broke... They may need to fight off Alaskan and Delta, the usual bargain shoppers...

I also wondering whether Qantas would be interested in some of the Delta 717s, given their announcement that they will be removing them from their fleet...

qf002

Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:20 am

aschachter wrote:
I know they are not in the best financial situation to be doing this, but I wonder if Qantas would be interested an a bargain buy of 737 Max aircraft, given Boeing have a number of white tails after a number of airlines have either cancelled orders or gone broke... They may need to fight off Alaskan and Delta, the usual bargain shoppers...

I also wondering whether Qantas would be interested in some of the Delta 717s, given their announcement that they will be removing them from their fleet...

717s perhaps (ie to replace the Fokker fleet) but I can't imagine MAXs have any appeal to QF at this point.

moa999

Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:30 am

Qantas isn't averse to deals
(Afterall the original 737-800s came from AAs post 9/11 cancellation.

But at the moment they've simply got an excess of aircraft, and I can't see things getting back to normal anytime soon with no international tourism.

More likely for older 737s to be retired with no replacement and possibly some of the 321neoLRs which were due for JQ may be shifted.

soyuz

Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:48 am

EY confirm that they will not be returning to BNE.
https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... dodiocODQo

SCFlyer

Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:53 am

If I recall, EY was underperforming at BNE in the 6-9 months prior to the pandemic hitting its height, so not really a surprise considering EY were also undergoing their own bankruptcy restructuring to fix up Hogan's mess.

On the other hand, it would also strengthen QR's case to serve BNE on a full-time basis now that EY is departing the market.

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:02 am

Brisbane was Etihad's first Australian destination. 3 weekly AUH-SIN-BNE launched (IIRC) in September 2007.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

StefanP

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:24 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Brisbane was Etihad's first Australian destination. 3 weekly AUH-SIN-BNE launched (IIRC) in September 2007.

Sydney was first. Launched March 2007.
Stefan

IndianicWorld

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:42 am

SCFlyer wrote:
If I recall, EY was underperforming at BNE in the 6-9 months prior to the pandemic hitting its height, so not really a surprise considering EY were also undergoing their own bankruptcy restructuring to fix up Hogan's mess.

On the other hand, it would also strengthen QR's case to serve BNE on a full-time basis now that EY is departing the market.

Contrary to what some had believed, I had long ago been told that BNE wasn’t a top performer for EY, even at its peak.

SYD and MEL were stronger performers and saw EY take a far more aggressive market position over the years in those markets where higher yielding demand was easier to capture.

I agree though that it does strengthen the case for QR to be able to increase its frequencies to service BNE permanently. QR are in a better position to try and sustain services over the longer term, but who knows what will play out over the next few years once the dust settles as the aviation landscape will be very different. Which carriers will be left standing? Only time will tell.

So far the moves made by the Gulf carriers:

- EK permanently cease ADL services
- EY permanently cease BNE services
- QR temporarily added BNE services

kriskim

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:56 am

SCFlyer wrote:

That's quite harsh if it was underperforming in better times. Even EK decided to axe BNE-SIN-DXB before all this mess. BNE a very marginal destination for airlines like EY, TG, MH, with the later two also in bad financial health they could be the next to go as well.

Fingers crossed that QR is able to gain permanent rights into BNE, they seem to be very keen.
A world built upon connectivity.

IndianicWorld

Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:21 pm

kriskim wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

That's quite harsh if it was underperforming in better times. Even EK decided to axe BNE-SIN-DXB before all this mess. BNE a very marginal destination for airlines like EY, TG, MH, with the later two also in bad financial health they could be the next to go as well.

Fingers crossed that QR is able to gain permanent rights into BNE, they seem to be very keen.

I think MH, D7 and TG will all have to make some very difficult decisions soon about their networks, as each were already struggling prior to COVID.

Given the significant presence that they all have in Australia, and an even bigger role for D7 for an airport like AVV for instance, some of these cuts will certainly hit hard.

The landscape will look very different after COVID eventually becomes a thing of the past, with a lot of long talked about but very abruptly implemented changes coming through. Being in a business consulting role at this stage would be a nightmare, as there are opportunities but just as many options that carry a risk profile most wont go near.

eta unknown

Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:24 pm

EY in BNE was struggling. The last few years the local staff was down to 3: 2 sales & 1 airport manager. When they flew AUH-SIN-BNE with the A330 50% of their load was only to SIN. When the route became nonstop with the 3 class 787 there was immense pressure to sell beyond AUH and this is when the price cutting started. Of course, filling first class to BNE is difficult, so then the aircraft was changed to 2 class- soon after the job culling started. Having said all that, if things returned to normal and QR entered the market EY wouldn't have survived (same story as PER).

CraigAnderson

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:41 pm

Rex will keep the business class seats on its B737s which came from Virgin Australia's leased fleet although apparently the airline isn't sure what it will do with those seats, if it will sell them as proper 'Business Class' or make them more of a 'premium' add-on to economy

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... -melbourne

I've also heard that the ex-Virgin B737s which Rex has picked up are among the older leased jets, the ones without the Boeing Sky Interior cabin. Once Rex 'registers' these with CASA I suppose we will know exactly which jets it has picked up?

tullamarine

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:19 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

I've also heard that the ex-Virgin B737s which Rex has picked up are among the older leased jets, the ones without the Boeing Sky Interior cabin. Once Rex 'registers' these with CASA I suppose we will know exactly which jets it has picked up?

That will mean these are VU* series aircraft. I believe a couple of the VU* aircraft had gone to Tiger so these ones obviously won't have J class. Not sure if they get a different registration when they move to Rex.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos