Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11160
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:58 pm

Welcome to New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1451079
Forum Moderator
 
NZ6
Posts: 1613
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:08 am

We're free... well sort of. Depends if you want to come back.

This is the real kicker in the whole situation which I raised last week and is quoted here "They have a very different strategy to us". Went want it gone or 'eliminated' as we call it, while Australia are happy to manage it. That unfortunately may mean, we never see a true clean bubble.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12369939
 
NZ6
Posts: 1613
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:57 am

Are we putting all these changes down to COVID or do we suspect other factors at play?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12370658
 
NZ516
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:38 am

NZ6 wrote:
We're free... well sort of. Depends if you want to come back.

This is the real kicker in the whole situation which I raised last week and is quoted here "They have a very different strategy to us". Went want it gone or 'eliminated' as we call it, while Australia are happy to manage it. That unfortunately may mean, we never see a true clean bubble.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12369939


Yes I agree adds more complications. If Australia welcomes in Kiwis with no Qurantine requirements and NZ does not recipricate for a very long time it will make it unfair.
 
NZ516
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:52 am

'End of an era': Remembering the last flight of the Argosy, the king of cargo

Saying goodbye to the Argosy was like saying goodbye to an old friend, says former pilot Captain Allan Graham, recalling the moment 30 years on.

The enormous air freighter was the king of cargo for 16 years, flying cross-country from its Marlborough base, before Safe Air wound down its flying operations
Graham remembered arriving back at Woodbourne airport on September 30, 1990, with “a big lump in the stomach”, knowing it was the end of an era.

“It was like losing a close member of the family,” Graham said, poring through photographs of the aeroplane’s heyday
more:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/122920 ... g-of-cargo

A good story and a historic video clip as well. Lucky one of the pilots offered to buy one of them to save them from the scrapyard. I remember them faintly they did take a long time to start up all four propellors before they departed off the gate. With their retirement it paved the way for Air Chathamns to bring in their Convairs.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3910
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:05 am

NZ516 wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
We're free... well sort of. Depends if you want to come back.

This is the real kicker in the whole situation which I raised last week and is quoted here "They have a very different strategy to us". Went want it gone or 'eliminated' as we call it, while Australia are happy to manage it. That unfortunately may mean, we never see a true clean bubble.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12369939


Yes I agree adds more complications. If Australia welcomes in Kiwis with no Qurantine requirements and NZ does not recipricate for a very long time it will make it unfair.


Which I would say is Scott Morrison’s take, it it a couple of weeks an public pressure in New Zealand will demand it to be two way.
 
zkeye
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:05 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:56 am

Which I would say is Scott Morrison’s take, it it a couple of weeks an public pressure in New Zealand will demand it to be two way.



You can bet that a week out from the election there will be an announcement.
Bring out the gimp
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:16 am

NZ516 wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
We're free... well sort of. Depends if you want to come back.

This is the real kicker in the whole situation which I raised last week and is quoted here "They have a very different strategy to us". Went want it gone or 'eliminated' as we call it, while Australia are happy to manage it. That unfortunately may mean, we never see a true clean bubble.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12369939


Yes I agree adds more complications. If Australia welcomes in Kiwis with no Qurantine requirements and NZ does not recipricate for a very long time it will make it unfair.

It won't be "unfair" - it may be inconvenient, but just the way things pan out. It may just be a question of the NZ government following different public health advice for a different situation here compared to Australia. As we are fully entitled to do.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
NZ6
Posts: 1613
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:57 am

zkeye wrote:
Which I would say is Scott Morrison’s take, it it a couple of weeks an public pressure in New Zealand will demand it to be two way.



You can bet that a week out from the election there will be an announcement.


I'd imagine there's a number of trigger points that need to be met before a bubble will be approved. I just wish it's was laid clear on the table what that is specifically. At the moment, it's guessing games. Does it rely on Australia having no other bubbles or an agreement on how/when we bring in the likes of the Pacific or PNG etc... does it rely on an agreed exit from the bubble.. whenever that is / vaccine or no vaccine?

Ardern said in response to questioning last week, that the 28 day community free transmission was one of criteria.. but it's unclear if that's an Australian wide or state by state requirement - it was in response to NSW and NT welcoming Kiwis. NSW is on day 12 I think? so almost halfway there but some states are past that already!?!?!

Is the hold up around uncertainty of state borders? Given we have no control, is there too much risk of QLD opening to, NSW who may open to VIC which provides a loop hole for VIC's with the Virus to come here? So many questions with no answers.

All these "unknowns" is why I say... let us know what the requirements are.. we just kept being told. There's in a very different position to us and we're just not ready yet...

I'm not sure why some of the other discussion was removed, but to reprint something. I'm not against what we've done to date. I fully support it and am proud of what we've achieved as a nation..

I just like to look forward and realize there's huge benefits in a bubble when it's safe and a bubble is realistic and something we should plan for. It'll be good for Air NZ, Agents, Airports, Transport providers and so on. Then there's in the inbound tourists who'll come here and spend money. That's the reason I'm so interested in it.
 
NZ516
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:09 pm

Good story from Seven Sharp on the growth of Tourism to the Chathams and a interview with Duane Emery of Air Chathams about the up coming ATR services

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/seven-shar ... leaving-nz
 
PA515
Posts: 1609
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:28 pm

There's this 08 Oct 2020 'Eurospot' photo of Air NZ ATR72-600 ZK-MZE (msn 1633) at TLS as F-WWEB.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146519169 ... 436689396/

It's had two flights in the past week.

https://flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-wweb

PA515
 
User avatar
SXI899
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:26 am

PA515 wrote:
There's this 08 Oct 2020 'Eurospot' photo of Air NZ ATR72-600 ZK-MZE (msn 1633) at TLS as F-WWEB.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146519169 ... 436689396/

It's had two flights in the past week.

https://flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-wweb

PA515

From speaking with my old colleagues, it should be here by the end of the month.
We deliver......
 
PA515
Posts: 1609
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:02 am

SXI899 wrote:
From speaking with my old colleagues, it should be here by the end of the month.


Thanks Yorden. Will ZK-MZF be arriving before the end of the year?

PA515
 
User avatar
SXI899
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:55 am

PA515 wrote:
Will ZK-MZF be arriving before the end of the year?

PA515

No idea. I haven’t heard anything about it.
MZE was initially planned for delivery earlier in the year I understand, but events got in the way of that.
We deliver......
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:38 pm

The old WLG tower has gone up for sale if anyone is looking to a do-upper. https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/home ... p-for-sale
 
darrellpearce
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:19 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:19 pm

[quote="PA515"]There's this 08 Oct 2020 'Eurospot' photo of Air NZ ATR72-600 ZK-MZE (msn 1633) at TLS as F-WWEB.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146519169 ... 436689396/

It's had two flights in the past week.

https://flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-wweb

PA515[/quote]
ZK-MZE will arrive into Christchurch on the 25th of October. ZK-MZF around May or October next year.
 
777ER
Head Moderator
Posts: 10114
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:04 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:45 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
The old WLG tower has gone up for sale if anyone is looking to a do-upper. https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/home ... p-for-sale

That would make a very popular air BnB with a bedroom on the top floor. Sadly I highly doubt it would be allowed to stay in its current height/form due to residential rules and will be pulled down with apartments taking its place
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR
 
NZ516
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:07 pm

Originair touches down to reconnect North Island's two river cities

Originair has officially re-established the umbilical travel cord between Hamilton and Palmerston North.

Water cannons formed a welcoming arch for the carrier’s new Jetstream aircraft after it touched down at Hamilton Airport on Monday, about 12 minutes ahead of schedule.

Palmerston North Mayor Grant Smith and his wife Michelle were among the passengers on the first flight to disembark at Hamilton.

They reported a smooth 45-minute journey between the two river cities, with the 19-seat aircraft near capacity


more:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123137 ... ver-cities

Good to see regional services expanding just hope it is a success for them. Another ex Air NZ route taken up.
 
NZ516
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:10 pm

Air New Zealand returns with extra Invercargill Auckland jets for Christmas

Good news for those flying home for Christmas, as Air New Zealand has said it is laying on extra direct A320 services between Auckland and Invercargill for the festive period.

The direct service will have 10 additional flights scheduled between 21 December and 10 January to help those flying home for the holidays. It is expected that many Kiwis using the summer holidays to explore more of Southland, Fiordland and Stewart Island.


more:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/air-n ... PBVE6IWYA/

Make sense not to cut it over the Christmas period the route still needs to bed down.
 
NZ516
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:18 pm

Another interesting story for Invercargill airport:

Invercargill Airport could become a car park for private jets

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123105 ... ivate-jets
 
User avatar
SXI899
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:02 am

darrellpearce wrote:
ZK-MZE will arrive into Christchurch on the 25th of October. ZK-MZF around May or October next year.

Was actually planned for 27-Oct, but that’s been delayed. According to the crew it’ll be more like 2-Nov now.
Wouldn’t be surprise if it was even later than that, as ATR are notorious for last minute delivery delays plus the delivery/ferry flight itself is a fairly long journey.
We deliver......
 
axio
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:44 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:16 am

NZ516 wrote:
Originair touches down to reconnect North Island's two river cities
...
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123137 ... ver-cities
Good to see regional services expanding just hope it is a success for them. Another ex Air NZ route taken up.


I admit I hadn't realized until now the HLZ-PMR-WLG was still gone which surprised me a little as it used to manage 2-3 B1900 weekdays, and I think was still 2 Q300s before the lockdowns.
Leaving that flight out also effectively gives up PMR-NSN because the connections via AKL or CHC make for long journeys (3:25, 4:05, 4:15 are the best on a random Thursday) vs Origin's 50 minutes.
Time for a new viewing deck at AKL!
 
NZ516
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:00 pm

axio wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
Originair touches down to reconnect North Island's two river cities
...
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123137 ... ver-cities
Good to see regional services expanding just hope it is a success for them. Another ex Air NZ route taken up.


I admit I hadn't realized until now the HLZ-PMR-WLG was still gone which surprised me a little as it used to manage 2-3 B1900 weekdays, and I think was still 2 Q300s before the lockdowns.
Leaving that flight out also effectively gives up PMR-NSN because the connections via AKL or CHC make for long journeys (3:25, 4:05, 4:15 are the best on a random Thursday) vs Origin's 50 minutes.


They are certainly giving up on a sizeable market there. A lot of people still connect with Air NZ especially the longest way possible on many routing I have seen. Some of the the routings take longer to fly including the layover than driving. Many do TRG-CHC-NPE vv and HLZ-CHC-PMR vv another strange one is IVC-CHC-DUD/ZQN. People often do in direct flying as well if non stop flights are sold out eg ZQN-AKL-CHC and vv. Or just have preference for Jet travel only eg CHC-AKL-IVC flying they are certainly not in a rush to get to their destination it seems!!!.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1613
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:46 am

Has anyone or does anyone know of anyone that's booked or intending to book one of these mystery breaks?

There's been a lot of talk around them lately. While it's a fun concept and they're well suited for things like prizes and gifts. They did die a death when domestics airfares become more affordable under CEO Ralph Norris with one-way, express and online booking etc.

Are people lacking domestics inspiration or what? They're not cheap.

I would have thought there would be more uptake on a luxury escape type package. Block sold as 2 or 3 nights with airfares and accommodation and various luxury or boutique properties.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3910
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:54 am

NZ6 wrote:
.
Are people lacking domestics inspiration or what? They're not cheap.
.


I would say so.... I’ve travelled more domestically this year, than probably the last 10 years. You really start of run out of places to visit for an 2-3 day weekend (which don’t cost more than an overseas holiday day).

When you gone from travelling internationally every 4-6 weeks, trying to get the same out of New Zealand is pretty hard. I’ve already been to Queenstown 3 times this year, and don’t think I could do another.
 
User avatar
MillwallSean
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:16 am

zkncj wrote:
When you gone from travelling internationally every 4-6 weeks, trying to get the same out of New Zealand is pretty hard. I’ve already been to Queenstown 3 times this year, and don’t think I could do another.


Hehehe, same here twice in Queenstown, once in Wanaka (same same sort of). Twice to Hawkes Bay. Done some weekend trips I have no clue where else we can go that offers much. Chathams probably but thats more of a longtime project.

I have a contract in Doha that ill fly out for in December and I cant wait for it. Normally Doha isnt the funniest place but I am truly looking forward to it.
Touch wood there isnt as strict quarantine rules when i return at end of March 2021 - wishful thinking but...
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.
 
darrellpearce
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:19 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:37 am

[quote="SXI899"][quote="darrellpearce"]ZK-MZE will arrive into Christchurch on the 25th of October. ZK-MZF around May or October next year.[/quote]
Was actually planned for 27-Oct, but that’s been delayed. According to the crew it’ll be more like 2-Nov now.
Wouldn’t be surprise if it was even later than that, as ATR are notorious for last minute delivery delays plus the delivery/ferry flight itself is a fairly long journey.[/quote]
ZK-MZE will depart Toulouse Blagnac France at 7.00pm NZDST tomorrow SXI2055 arrive into Auckland on Monday November 2 before positioning to Christchurch on November 3.
 
zkeoj
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:00 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:12 pm

NZ6 wrote:
Has anyone or does anyone know of anyone that's booked or intending to book one of these mystery breaks?

There's been a lot of talk around them lately. While it's a fun concept and they're well suited for things like prizes and gifts. They did die a death when domestics airfares become more affordable under CEO Ralph Norris with one-way, express and online booking etc.

Are people lacking domestics inspiration or what? They're not cheap.

I would have thought there would be more uptake on a luxury escape type package. Block sold as 2 or 3 nights with airfares and accommodation and various luxury or boutique properties.


I won one a few years ago. I bought the 75 year Air NZ book at Whitcoulls, and they put me automatically into the draw. I didn't even know there was a draw, and when they emailed me that I won a mystery break I thought it was spam, haha. Ours was to Nelson, and it was lovely. We had a nice hotel and shuttle was included. But I agree that it is pricey, and I can book the same cheaper when I do it myself. Maybe some people are just lazy/insecure/less experienced and prefer it all being organised for them?
 
NZ6
Posts: 1613
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:48 pm

zkeoj wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
Has anyone or does anyone know of anyone that's booked or intending to book one of these mystery breaks?

There's been a lot of talk around them lately. While it's a fun concept and they're well suited for things like prizes and gifts. They did die a death when domestics airfares become more affordable under CEO Ralph Norris with one-way, express and online booking etc.

Are people lacking domestics inspiration or what? They're not cheap.

I would have thought there would be more uptake on a luxury escape type package. Block sold as 2 or 3 nights with airfares and accommodation and various luxury or boutique properties.


I won one a few years ago. I bought the 75 year Air NZ book at Whitcoulls, and they put me automatically into the draw. I didn't even know there was a draw, and when they emailed me that I won a mystery break I thought it was spam, haha. Ours was to Nelson, and it was lovely. We had a nice hotel and shuttle was included. But I agree that it is pricey, and I can book the same cheaper when I do it myself. Maybe some people are just lazy/insecure/less experienced and prefer it all being organised for them?



I too have done one. It wasn't a bad way to spend the weekend but it was gifted so wasn't really going to be anything otherwise..

It's the price that stumps me. Do it yourself and do it cheaper. Why sink so much into a random weekend and potentially end up somewhere you don't want to go. NSN would be one of the better smaller centers to end up.

I can't see the number of cooperates rewarding or gifting these breaks being overly high given COVID and the number given out as prizes wouldn't be more than 3 digits at an absolute stretched best case.

It's a nice product option to offer - I'm just surprised how much publicity there's been around them over the last week or two.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3910
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:01 am

NZ6 wrote:
It's the price that stumps me. Do it yourself and do it cheaper. Why sink so much into a random weekend and potentially end up somewhere you don't want to go. NSN would be one of the better smaller centers to end up.


Seems to be very targeted an older generation maybe? Or those who lack the ability to plan an holiday.

In the day of APP based booking, you can get allot of decent deals booking last minute (post covid-19). Even booking domestic airfares 24-1hr before departures seems great at the moment.

I’ve done an couple of trips I the last few weeks that we’re booked 1-2hours before departure and got an way better deal.

The likes of save GoogleFlights have made it essay to book an last minute in planned break away.
 
User avatar
SXI899
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:23 am

darrellpearce wrote:
ZK-MZE will depart Toulouse Blagnac France at 7.00pm NZDST tomorrow SXI2055 arrive into Auckland on Monday November 2 before positioning to Christchurch on November 3.

Looks like arrival in AKL on 3-Nov now, although timing wise they could’ve made it on 2-Nov. Likely related to the return travel for the ferry crew.
Full routing should be TLS-HER-RUH-MCT-NAG-PEN-DPS-DRW-BNE-AKL.
We deliver......
 
zkncj
Posts: 3910
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:30 am

Does anyone know of NZ is planning to use MZE in the near term? Or will it go into storage once it’s arrived in CHC?
 
NZ516
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:59 am

zkncj wrote:
Does anyone know of NZ is planning to use MZE in the near term? Or will it go into storage once it’s arrived in CHC?


I expect they will get it into service for the peak Christmas period as domestic demand is building up nicely and some routes need more capacity.
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 8353
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:42 am

MZE will surely just go into service. The MOH flights have been almost all A320/ATR72 (couple of DH8s too) and with the plague spec cleaning taking much longer any spare aircraft are useful for maintaining schedules disrupted. With the schedule over December being basically 100% of pre-covid schedule the A321s will continue domestically, the A320s will continue to cycle through maintenance and the A320NEOs and 787 are the international flights.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
NZ516
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:21 am

Sold! Wellington's old air traffic control tower 'Arnold' off the market

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/home ... the-market

It is certainly a hot property market right now. i wonder what the new owner will do with it.
 
zkeoj
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:00 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:05 am

aerorobnz wrote:
MZE will surely just go into service. The MOH flights have been almost all A320/ATR72 (couple of DH8s too) and with the plague spec cleaning taking much longer any spare aircraft are useful for maintaining schedules disrupted. With the schedule over December being basically 100% of pre-covid schedule the A321s will continue domestically, the A320s will continue to cycle through maintenance and the A320NEOs and 787 are the international flights.


I wish you were not using Trumpian rhethoric (plague) in this forum...
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 8353
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:42 am

zkeoj wrote:

I wish you were not using Trumpian rhethoric (plague) in this forum...


Opinions on that politician notwithstanding, the definition of plague as per the Collins dictionary is "a very infectious disease that spreads quickly and kills large numbers of people." . Seems as appropriate a word to use as anything else for this scenario.. ie: cleaning specification.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:32 am

So we now know who's bought the old Wellington Airport control tower.

Wellington Airport. *laughs*

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/w ... trol-tower
 
zkncj
Posts: 3910
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:52 pm

Reportly this morning, that the Tasman bubble (from the New Zealand side) to be announced this week! Holding low hopes, as we have been there before with his sort of announcement in the media.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-coronavirus-new-zealand-australia-bubble-claims-transtasman-travel-to-resume-before-christmas/KYUOHMICL5QFOLNE2Y5EGM4CIU

If an two way Tasman bubble is open by Christmas, does NZ even have the people resources to make this happen? With an extra 500 787/777 cabin crew made redundant in the last week, there can’t be much cabin crew left that could operate the 787s?
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 8353
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:03 am

zkncj wrote:
Reportly this morning, that the Tasman bubble (from the New Zealand side) to be announced this week! Holding low hopes, as we have been there before with his sort of announcement in the media.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-coronavirus-new-zealand-australia-bubble-claims-transtasman-travel-to-resume-before-christmas/KYUOHMICL5QFOLNE2Y5EGM4CIU

If an two way Tasman bubble is open by Christmas, does NZ even have the people resources to make this happen? With an extra 500 787/777 cabin crew made redundant in the last week, there can’t be much cabin crew left that could operate the 787s?


A320/A321 NEOs will be able to cope with the shortfall for the most part, They still have enough cre to maintain current widebody t-t ops and they can probably still reverse a few pending redundancy dates (say for those with final days over the next 8 weeks or so if they really have to.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1613
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:08 am

zkncj wrote:
Reportly this morning, that the Tasman bubble (from the New Zealand side) to be announced this week! Holding low hopes, as we have been there before with his sort of announcement in the media.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-coronavirus-new-zealand-australia-bubble-claims-transtasman-travel-to-resume-before-christmas/KYUOHMICL5QFOLNE2Y5EGM4CIU

If an two way Tasman bubble is open by Christmas, does NZ even have the people resources to make this happen? With an extra 500 787/777 cabin crew made redundant in the last week, there can’t be much cabin crew left that could operate the 787s?


I'm not expecting anything in the next week. I do think we'll see something early next year. Earlier than I expected a few months back.

It'll depend on what Australia intends to do with TPE, SIN, HKG, Japan etc as well. A bubble works well when it's exclusive but you could quickly loose control.

Don't think we'll see a whole bunch of 787 flights on the Tasman so crew won't be a concern. I think the airline expects to 're-hire' crew as needed too.

I've not been in touch with anyone in the tech area for a while. I know from a QF contact many retained pilots haven't had the hours 'behind the wheel' to remain certified to fly given everything that's happened over the last 9 months. I'm not sure if NZ will face this issue.
 
NZ321
Posts: 1230
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:03 am

Time to lock the thread... and start a new one for November :)
Plane mad!
 
Toenga
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:17 am

I also think reopening will depend on agreed "hotspot" definitions, bubble enlargement protocols, interstate and international contract tracing methods, and repatriation arrangements in case of further outbreaks, all to be negotiated between the various state governments, the NZ government, and the Federal Government.
I also see the various Australian Labor led states, and NZ deferring strongly to their health advisors, and the Austrslian Federal Government and NSW not wanting to let detail derail quick political wins. Interesting times still ahead.
 
777ER
Head Moderator
Posts: 10114
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:04 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2020

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:58 am

Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos