Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jetty

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - Q4 2020

Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:09 pm

EIBPI wrote:
It’s quite outrageous that the Dutch government is doing nothing to help residents and citizens stranded in the U.K. There are dozens of legitimate reason a Dutch resident might have been in the U.K. including work or on compassionate grounds.

Since March there has been a very clear warning that the government wouldn’t do anything for Dutch citizens (let alone non-citizens) when traveling to a high risk area, and the UK is a country outside the EU designated as such. Not outrageous at all.

FlyingHonu001

Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Belgium to extend UK travelban for another 24 hrs...

Source: https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2020/12/21 ... om-the-uk/

Flanker7

Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:32 pm

Jetty wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
It’s quite outrageous that the Dutch government is doing nothing to help residents and citizens stranded in the U.K. There are dozens of legitimate reason a Dutch resident might have been in the U.K. including work or on compassionate grounds.

Since March there has been a very clear warning that the government wouldn’t do anything for Dutch citizens (let alone non-citizens) when traveling to a high risk area, and the UK is a country outside the EU designated as such. Not outrageous at all.

Jetty, wait till you're in the position I am right now and others who are not here for fun with no assistance from the government. We where advised by the ministry of foreign affairs to take the first ferry out only to be told when there, we are not taking you.
Flying blue only if possible

Jetty

Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
Jetty wrote:
EIBPI wrote:

Jetty, wait till you're in the position I am right now and others who are not here for fun with no assistance from the government. We where advised by the ministry of foreign affairs to take the first ferry out only to be told when there, we are not taking you.

I didn’t say I blame all the people impacted, many made very understandable choices. But sometimes you have to accept that you’re in a situation you didn’t deserve without finding someone else or a government to blame. What are they supposed to do? Arranging accommodation (effectively payed by people that didn’t choose to travel)? Let the thousands of people impacted in and accept uncontrolled spread of the English COVID?

Note that there are many people that were supposed to travel from the UK that planned to behave irresponsible as well, as proven by the many people complaining they’ll miss spending Christmas with their family while they were already too late for Christmas when they would quarantine.

EIBPI

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Jetty wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:
Jetty wrote:

I didn’t say I blame all the people impacted, many made very understandable choices. But sometimes you have to accept that you’re in a situation you didn’t deserve without finding someone else or a government to blame. What are they supposed to do? Arranging accommodation (effectively payed by people that didn’t choose to travel)? Let the thousands of people impacted in and accept uncontrolled spread of the English COVID?

Note that there are many people that were supposed to travel from the UK that planned to behave irresponsible as well, as proven by the many people complaining they’ll miss spending Christmas with their family while they were already too late for Christmas when they would quarantine.

Define a clear testing and quarantine protocol for people returning from the U.K.? Leaving residents stranded with no timeline for a resolution is a disgrace, and the longer they are left in the U.K. the more likely they are to catch the COVID strain and eventually find another way home (such as through Ireland).

Jetty

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:06 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Jetty wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

Define a clear testing and quarantine protocol for people returning from the U.K.? Leaving residents stranded with no timeline for a resolution is a disgrace, and the longer they are left in the U.K. the more likely they are to catch the COVID strain and eventually find another way home (such as through Ireland).

That is exactly what they are doing, hence the advise to arrange something in the UK while that is being worked out. A specific timeline isn’t helpful with so many things yet uncertain which they have no control over.

LAXintl

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Another sign that preflight testing hardly the sole answer to preventing transmission.

The Hawaiian island of Kauai traced most of the island’s 84 October and November cases to returning residents and tourists who brought the virus in despite the pre-flight testing

https://apnews.com/article/travel-pande ... 524program

Health officials recommending a combination of pre-flight testing, a quarantine period, and a follow up testing.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

dutchflyboi

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Jetty wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
Jetty wrote:

That is exactly what they are doing, hence the advise to arrange something in the UK while that is being worked out. A specific timeline isn’t helpful with so many things yet uncertain which they have no control over.

They just announced that they will let people come back with a negative Covid test. The details to be worked out. According to the news article, meetings with the airlines are taking place today.
This is for people stuck in both the UK and South Africa
Link in Dutch: https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achter ... ~bce42eef/

N766UA

Re: COVID-19 News and Reference Thread

Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:02 pm

jporterfi wrote:
BA, DL, and VS are now requiring passengers to test negative for COVID-19 before boarding flights to JFK.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/21/british ... es-to.html

Delta has a hub in JFK; only flights arriving from London require said test.

UPlog

Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:40 pm

If we need another example of how travel spreads COVID even with pre departure testing, now Antarctica reports it has 36 cases of COVID at the O’Higgins Base following receipt of supplies and personnel from Chile.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... ting-36-at
I fly your boxes

Jetty

Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:49 pm

UPlog wrote:
If we need another example of how travel spreads COVID even with pre departure testing, now Antarctica reports it has 36 cases of COVID at the O’Higgins Base following receipt of supplies and personnel from Chile.

It's very simple when you consider incubation period. Greece and Cyprus already got it right with 3 test over multiple days and they still allow travel from the UK. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ponse.html

I hope the the whole EU will consider this when allowing travel from the UK again.

Tiredofhumanity

Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:06 am

Jetty wrote:
UPlog wrote:

It's very simple when you consider incubation period. Greece and Cyprus already got it right with 3 test over multiple days and they still allow travel from the UK. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ponse.html

I hope the the whole EU will consider this when allowing travel from the UK again.

I seriously question how Mainland China is able to keep a lid on this thing with domestic flights, even with more sensitive tests.

FlyingHonu001

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:57 am

:alert: Dutch government release:

The ban on passenger flights from South Africa and the ban on both sea and air travel for passengers from the United Kingdom will be lifted as of Wednesday 23 December (00.01 Dutch time). These bans will be replaced by a requirement that prior to the start of their trip, all passengers – including EU nationals – must be in possession of a declaration documenting a recent, negative PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test. Once they arrive in the Netherlands, all passengers are strongly urged to quarantine themselves for a period of 10 days.

Source: https://www.government.nl/latest/news/2 ... uth-africa

FlyingHonu001

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:06 am

And the plot thickens...

"Negative test declaration now mandatory for all international air travel to the Netherlands..."

... From 00.01 on 29 December 2020 all passengers, including Dutch nationals, must have a recent negative PCR test declaration in order to board an aircraft bound for the Netherlands. Everyone arriving in the Netherlands is strongly advised to self-quarantine for a period of 10 days.

The negative test required for boarding is not a substitute for self-quarantining on arrival. The government made this decision today...

Source: https://www.government.nl/latest/news/2 ... etherlands

dcajet

Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:19 am

In addition to arrivals from the UK, Argentina has added the following countries to the no-flights list:

* Australia
* Denmark
* Italy
* Netherlands

All through January 8th.

It affects AZ, BA & KL as there are currently no direct airline flights between Australia & Denmark to Argentina.

https://twitter.com/KLM_AR/status/1342156018378272768
Keep calm and wash your hands.

panamair

Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:02 am

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
And the plot thickens...

"Negative test declaration now mandatory for all international air travel to the Netherlands..."

... From 00.01 on 29 December 2020 all passengers, including Dutch nationals, must have a recent negative PCR test declaration in order to board an aircraft bound for the Netherlands. Everyone arriving in the Netherlands is strongly advised to self-quarantine for a period of 10 days.

The negative test required for boarding is not a substitute for self-quarantining on arrival. The government made this decision today...

Does this also apply to those transiting AMS to a destination that does not require a test?

FlyingHonu001

Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:10 am

panamair wrote:
FlyingHonu001 wrote:
And the plot thickens...

Does this also apply to those transiting AMS to a destination that does not require a test?

Yes, Royal Netherlands Marechaussee will do checks on arrivals within the transitarea

LAXintl

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:52 pm

Canada to require all arriving air passengers to show negative COVID-19 test, in addition to existing quarantining requirement after arrival.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7547089/coro ... te-dec-30/

Increasingly the standard operating procedure for countries.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

aerolimani

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:48 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Canada to require all arriving air passengers to show negative COVID-19 test, in addition to existing quarantining requirement after arrival.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7547089/coro ... te-dec-30/

Increasingly the standard operating procedure for countries.

It’s purely an onerous requirement designed to discourage Canadian citizens, and permanent residents, from travelling out of the country. And that, IMHO, is purely for optics. The number of cases brought in by non-essential travel, is minuscule.

All foreigners, who are travelling as essential workers, are already forbidden to enter Canada. Essential workers are already excluded from the quarantine rule and from this new testing requirement too. So, this is aimed purely at Canadians.

So, all your farm workers from Mexico can come into Canada, without a test before or after they arrive, without undergoing quarantine, and you can encounter them shopping at the local grocery store. And, who knows how careful they were at home in Mexico, or how careful they are in Canada? Certainly, they live in group accommodations. That can’t be good.

But, people with legitimate reasons to travel, like caring for elderly relatives who can’t come to Canada, are penalized. I even have sympathy for responsible vacationers. Let’s face it… the people who are going to behave irresponsibly are going to do it whether they’re abroad or in Canada.

What would actually work is the testing program they’re trying at the Calgary airport; to make it official and expand it to all Canada. The other thing that would help would be some actual enforcement of quarantine. I’ve done the 14-day quarantine twice now, and I followed the guidelines to the letter. The first time, there were absolutely no checks on me whatsoever. I only had to check in daily on an app, which didn’t even ask for me to share my location. The second time, on day 8, I answered my phone to receive a pre-recorded message from Canada Border Services, reminding me I had another week to go. What a joke!

hayzel777

Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:17 am

The 72-hour pre-arrival screen has already proven to be a near-waste. Appears to just be a showpiece at this point straining the already strained medical system. Just look at the whole Hawaii situation, especially Kauai, or even some of the other countries/territories like Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong. One could easily get COVID-19 the 72 hours between the test and the flight, especially in highly infectious areas like Los Angeles.

In other news, Taiwan discontinues transit services, entry to foreigners, and all business travel exemptions or bubbles effective 1/1. Everyone must now undergo a 14-day quarantine followed by a 7-day self-management (avoid crowded areas, reduce contact with the public etc.). Taiwan identified its first case of B117 in a quarantining teenager that arrived from the UK and the recent BR pilot fiasco has given the country a bit of a scare.

ArtV

Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:28 am

hayzel777 wrote:
The 72-hour pre-arrival screen has already proven to be a near-waste. Appears to just be a showpiece at this point straining the already strained medical system. Just look at the whole Hawaii situation, especially Kauai, or even some of the other countries/territories like Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong. One could easily get COVID-19 the 72 hours between the test and the flight, especially in highly infectious areas like Los Angeles.

In other news, Taiwan discontinues transit services, entry to foreigners, and all business travel exemptions or bubbles effective 1/1. Everyone must now undergo a 14-day quarantine followed by a 7-day self-management (avoid crowded areas, reduce contact with the public etc.). Taiwan identified its first case of B117 in a quarantining teenager that arrived from the UK and the recent BR pilot fiasco has given the country a bit of a scare.

Vietnam has consistently required a 72 hour test (RT-PCR) prior to departure, AND 14 day quarantine for all incoming foreign experts (the only way for a non-Vietnamese to enter Vietnam is if they get approval as a foreign "export"), and yet Vietnam is constantly reporting positive cases in the 14 day quarantine period, particularly from countries that have large numbers of infections like Russia.

qf789

Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:05 am

Please continue discussion in COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - Q1 2021

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1455909
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos