Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jbs2886

Re: AirAsia X plans overhaul to survive

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:18 pm

Polot wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Jetport wrote:

No source, just speculating. That's why I said it was my bet. Not good when your largest customer will not take any aircraft until at least 2027, and even 2027/28 is highly dubious.

Well, after cancellations, DL will be the largest customer and has already taken delivery.

The second largest order (after AAX) is actually a UFO for 40, placed shortly before the pandemic began in late 2019. That UFO is heavily rumored, but never confirmed, to be the HNA group, apparently as a way of getting out of A330ceo/A350 commitments by taking A330neos later. Of course HNA group is also not doing so hot and is also bankrupt…

Good call, had totally forgotten about that one.

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:48 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Jetport wrote:
AaronPMI wrote:

Any source for your last call and end of production statement?

No source, just speculating. That's why I said it was my bet. Not good when your largest customer will not take any aircraft until at least 2027, and even 2027/28 is highly dubious.

At this point Delta's order is all keeping the A330NEO going. I see a few potential orders, but I speculate that is to take up white tails.

What are the leasors' position? I cannot imagine any are not cutting A330NEO commitments.

AirAsiaX has mucked up the leasing market, A330NEO, and I imagine the AirAsia side of the house isn't playing nice either.

The proposals from AirAsiaX scream reposses aircraft. All aircraft. That would be too much of a glut of A330NEO.

Lightsaber

How many A330CEO does AAX Control/Lease/Operate?

Will this be a significant shift to the second hand A330CEO landscape?

moa999

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:39 pm

ScottB wrote:
The lessors aren't making back their money -- they're taking a gigantic haircut without even the potential for some appreciation by way of an equity stake.

Situation seems a bit like Virgin Australia. The business is so far on the red that it needs additional capital, and government assistance/investment.

The capital isn't there if lessors get a substantial equity stake

lightsaber

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:44 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Jetport wrote:

At this point Delta's order is all keeping the A330NEO going. I see a few potential orders, but I speculate that is to take up white tails.

What are the leasors' position? I cannot imagine any are not cutting A330NEO commitments.

AirAsiaX has mucked up the leasing market, A330NEO, and I imagine the AirAsia side of the house isn't playing nice either.

The proposals from AirAsiaX scream reposses aircraft. All aircraft. That would be too much of a glut of A330NEO.

Lightsaber

How many A330CEO does AAX Control/Lease/Operate?

Will this be a significant shift to the second hand A330CEO landscape?

Please look at the aircraft lease values threads:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1460947

Latest:
A330-200 – $8.0 - 51.0M, $90-440,000
A330-300 - $6.0 - 58.0M, $90-480,000
A330-900 - $90.5 - 110.0M, $550-820,000

Prior to Covid19 thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1440991
A330-200 – $14.0 - 80.0M, $140-610,000
A330-300 - $11.4 - 91.0M, $140-690,000

(too little information on A349)

So an A339 a little used is worth less than a brand new A333 pre-Covid19. What is striking is in 18 months the top value of A333 has gone from $91 M to $58M or about a 40% hit. Is it any surprise that conversion demand increased?

I do not think AirAsiaX will have that big an impact on the A330CEO market. The used widebody market is already bloody with little hope of recovery for years. Low interest rates make new designs more attractive. After we recover from Covid19, we must recover from low interest rates.

AirAsiaX is a startling bankruptcy. Their proposed restructuring does tremendous damage to the leasing market.

Lightsaber

Speedy752

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:09 am

ScottB wrote:
Speedy752 wrote:
Essentially flying current fleet into the ground so lessors can make back their money.

That's not the plan at all. AAX wants the creditors (largely lessors and Airbus) to agree to wipe out $15 billion in debt in exchange for a promise to pay a grand total of $48 million several years down the road, if they can. The lessors aren't making back their money -- they're taking a gigantic haircut without even the potential for some appreciation by way of an equity stake.

That’s all sunk cost. If AAX never flies again they won’t get that money, liquidation leaves them nothing. They can’t re lease the aircraft or sell in this environment, so this at least gives them some potential revenue. They have no assets to collect, no better use for the planes, my point is they have no viable alternate. They should get some rent payments on planes the lessors would otherwise have parked in the desert.

lightsaber

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:35 am

Speedy752 wrote:
ScottB wrote:
Speedy752 wrote:
Essentially flying current fleet into the ground so lessors can make back their money.

That's not the plan at all. AAX wants the creditors (largely lessors and Airbus) to agree to wipe out $15 billion in debt in exchange for a promise to pay a grand total of $48 million several years down the road, if they can. The lessors aren't making back their money -- they're taking a gigantic haircut without even the potential for some appreciation by way of an equity stake.

That’s all sunk cost. If AAX never flies again they won’t get that money, liquidation leaves them nothing. They can’t re lease the aircraft or sell in this environment, so this at least gives them some potential revenue. They have no assets to collect, no better use for the planes, my point is they have no viable alternate. They should get some rent payments on planes the lessors would otherwise have parked in the desert.

I just posted aircraft values. The aircraft are valuable as freight conversions or scrap (even if scrap values are way down today). In my opinion, the offer from AirAsiaX is too low and aircraft should be repossessed.

Lightsaber

Jetport

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:49 am

lightsaber wrote:
Speedy752 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

I just posted aircraft values. The aircraft are valuable as freight conversions or scrap (even if scrap values are way down today). In my opinion, the offer from AirAsiaX is too low and aircraft should be repossessed.

Lightsaber

That is what I was thinking, this restructuring offer is a joke. Lease holders and other creditors would be better off liquidating AAX and taking any scraps they can get. Even a few cents on the dollar is better than AAX's proposal and hoping there is a pony in here somewhere many years down the road.

RoyalBrunei757

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:00 am

Is A330ceo freight conversion market that hot currently? I don't see many cargo airlines clamouring over whichever frames that comes into the used market every other day. Apart from the few CDB Aviation own frames (previously leased to CZ) and few SQ birds that are being or have been converted, most retired ones went into desert storage immediately. Those EY, AA or HNA Group A330ceo would have been converted long time ago even the demands is/was indeed that hot........but in reality it isnt'

filipinoavgeek

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:20 am

I guess if the order cut does happen, the A330neo is all but toast.

dstblj52

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:31 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:

probably delta buys everyone last one built and thats the end of that

ScottB

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:47 am

Speedy752 wrote:

AAX has SOME assets or they would already be liquidated. There has to be some money paying for lawyers, financiers, skeleton staff at HQ, etc. Those assets are probably more than the joke of an offer made to the creditors, and in a liquidation, the assets are used to pay off as much as possible to creditors. That is my point: the offer to creditors is a farce and they'd almost certainly be better off with a liquidation of AAX. And any restructuring which doesn't completely wipe out the existing shareholders isn't fair to the creditors.

brindabella

Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:28 pm

ScottB wrote:
Speedy752 wrote:

AAX has SOME assets or they would already be liquidated. There has to be some money paying for lawyers, financiers, skeleton staff at HQ, etc. Those assets are probably more than the joke of an offer made to the creditors, and in a liquidation, the assets are used to pay off as much as possible to creditors. That is my point: the offer to creditors is a farce and they'd almost certainly be better off with a liquidation of AAX. And any restructuring which doesn't completely wipe out the existing shareholders isn't fair to the creditors.

I rush to mention that I am no expert in Bankruptcies (like the vast majority of us, thankfully!).

But I wonder if the AAX owners have not been just too bold.

Their offer is so low that liquidation is hardly more risky, so there is really no reason to accept it - but also I wonder that the Creditors might just take it over and have a look under the hood.
Then if it has to be liquidated - OK, nothing lost.
Worth the effort.
:spit:

cheers

lightsaber

Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:48 pm

I am bearish on the A330NEO, but not as much as some. Delta, Virgin Atlantic, Air Belgium, Kuwait airways and others will accept A330NEOs. Oh, it is now the 717 of the widebody world which can only aspire to doing as well as the MD-11, but it isn't done. Production will continue for years. It doesn't matter if AAX survives or not, the number of A339s they accept in the next decade will be very small (if any), so the type's #1 buyer is pretty much out of consideration. I think, analogous to the 717, Airbus or leasing companies will find a few more operators. That said, I only see enough entering service for parts support for unique components to limp along.

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/air-bel ... e-a330neo/

ScottB wrote:
Speedy752 wrote:

To build on ScottB's note:
I posted above the values of the aircraft. While the placement rates are poor, they can be replaced, offered as freight conversion stock, or scrapped at today's lower scrap values. As bad as those options are, they are better than AAX's offer.

At this point, AAX is asking to be subsidized by the people they are supposed to be paying. AAX must increase their offer to creditors or it would be foolish for them to participate. The prior owners were far too greedy in their offer. I'm not sure about completely wiping them out, their needs to be some incentive for the prior owners to play along, but the current offer is out of balance.

The stay on creditors will make it harder for AirAsia X to borrow in the future. That actually makes a recovery more tenuous. Cest la vie
https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/s ... 17.article

Lightsaber

bbowma77

Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:22 pm

I can see why Delta was so keen on the NMA, when the 767's time out there wide-body fleet will consist of a medium haul and a long haul 3 class, 300 passenger wide-body fleet. If the A350-900 can offer the same or better efficiency with more capability than the A330 neo ,the price difference is going to begin to be a moot point. I can see Delta starting to switch there A330neo orders for A350 orders in the future and if the NMA never happens (seems likely) order A321XLR or possibly 787.

MrBryan86

Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:19 pm

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
Is A330ceo freight conversion market that hot currently? I don't see many cargo airlines clamouring over whichever frames that comes into the used market every other day. Apart from the few CDB Aviation own frames (previously leased to CZ) and few SQ birds that are being or have been converted, most retired ones went into desert storage immediately. Those EY, AA or HNA Group A330ceo would have been converted long time ago even the demands is/was indeed that hot........but in reality it isnt'

I think the issue is not about demand, but rather the slots available. As far as I know, the only facilities which are doing P2F conversions are ST Aerospace in Singapore and EFW in Dresden, with the slots all taken up for the next 2 years at least. That’s partly due to the fact that apart from the first few examples, the rest has been converted by EFW, the ST Aero facility is doing mainly 767BCF conversions right now. The list of P2F operators will only get bigger, with the likes of Turkmenistan/MNG/MASAir all already signed up.

oldJoe

Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:42 pm

MrBryan86 wrote:
RoyalBrunei757 wrote:

I think the issue is not about demand, but rather the slots available. As far as I know, the only facilities which are doing P2F conversions are ST Aerospace in Singapore and EFW in Dresden, with the slots all taken up for the next 2 years at least. That’s partly due to the fact that apart from the first few examples, the rest has been converted by EFW, the ST Aero facility is doing mainly 767BCF conversions right now. The list of P2F operators will only get bigger, with the likes of Turkmenistan/MNG/MASAir all already signed up.

Absolutely correct! EFW cannot convert more or faster at the moment. ULS / Turkey has leased its A330 for passenger flights because they do not get a free slot for conversion. ULS is missing from your list by the way. Because we are here in Air Asia X thread, MSN 713 has been converted
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10215655

JayinKitsap

Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:43 pm

Jetport wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Speedy752 wrote:

Lightsaber

That is what I was thinking, this restructuring offer is a joke. Lease holders and other creditors would be better off liquidating AAX and taking any scraps they can get. Even a few cents on the dollar is better than AAX's proposal and hoping there is a pony in here somewhere many years down the road.

AAX's offer is to surrender a plane for just a few months lease payment, why would a creditor take that. No need to liquidate AAX, just repossess the asset on lease or financed. Then at least 25% of the value can be recovered, who would take a 5% recovery. That hasn't happened even with A380's in the market. This is the only option financially for the planes already delivered.

For Airbus, basically the whole backlog will be cancelled with the prepayments their only compensation. There are a bunch here that have long lead parts already in production. A lot of potential white tails. An opportunity for DL if the price is right, that price may not appear until desperation hits a year or so out.

jbs2886

Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:04 pm

JayinKitsap wrote:
Jetport wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

AAX's offer is to surrender a plane for just a few months lease payment, why would a creditor take that. No need to liquidate AAX, just repossess the asset on lease or financed. Then at least 25% of the value can be recovered, who would take a 5% recovery. That hasn't happened even with A380's in the market. This is the only option financially for the planes already delivered.

For Airbus, basically the whole backlog will be cancelled with the prepayments their only compensation. There are a bunch here that have long lead parts already in production. A lot of potential white tails. An opportunity for DL if the price is right, that price may not appear until desperation hits a year or so out.

It can’t be repossessed while in bankruptcy/restructuring.

AaronPMI

Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:18 pm

lightsaber wrote:
I am bearish on the A330NEO, but not as much as some. Delta, Virgin Atlantic, Air Belgium, Kuwait airways and others will accept A330NEOs. Oh, it is now the 717 of the widebody world which can only aspire to doing as well as the MD-11, but it isn't done. Production will continue for years. It doesn't matter if AAX survives or not, the number of A339s they accept in the next decade will be very small (if any), so the type's #1 buyer is pretty much out of consideration. I think, analogous to the 717, Airbus or leasing companies will find a few more operators. That said, I only see enough entering service for parts support for unique components to limp along.

ScottB wrote:
Speedy752 wrote:
That’s all sunk cost. If AAX never flies again they won’t get that money, liquidation
leaves them nothing. They can’t re lease the aircraft or sell in this environment, so this at least gives them some potential revenue. They have no assets to collect, no better use for the planes, my point is they have no viable alternate. They should get some rent payments on planes the lessors would otherwise have parked in the desert.

I posted above the values of the aircraft. While the placement rates are poor, they can be replaced, offered as freight conversion stock, or scrapped at today's lower scrap values. As bad as those options are, they are better than AAX's offer.

At this point, AAX is asking to be subsidized by the people they are supposed to be paying. AAX must increase their offer to creditors or it would be foolish for them to participate. The prior owners were far too greedy in their offer. I'm not sure about completely wiping them out, their needs to be some incentive for the prior owners to play along, but the current offer is out of balance.

The stay on creditors will make it harder for AirAsia X to borrow in the future. That actually makes a recovery more tenuous. Cest la vie

Lightsaber

I have to disagree to the 717 or MD11 comparison. The 330NEO is a Version of the 330 which sold about 1800. Just like the 777X is a Version of the 777. Every unit sold increases the total sales of the family even If a Version is not as successful as others.

MIflyer12

Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:28 pm

AaronPMI wrote:
I have to disagree to the 717 or MD11 comparison. The 330NEO is a Version of the 330 which sold about 1800. Just like the 777X is a Version of the 777. Every unit sold increases the total sales of the family even If a Version is not as successful as others.

You can disagree, but to the extent there are ANY parts unique to a 330neo, a small production run cripples economies of scale and long-term parts availability. DC-9 commonality didn't save the MD-90s nor 717s. DL isn't going to want to own 30 of the (perhaps) only 100 330neos ever built. It just sets them up for grief 15 years from now, a burden that neither 787s nor A350s will face.

Polot

Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:00 pm

AaronPMI wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

ScottB wrote:

Lightsaber

The 717 is just a version of the successful DC-9 family and the MD-11 is just a version of the successful (for its time) DC-10 family…

The biggest risk on the A330neo if not successful is the same thing that DL ended up facing with MD-90: engine overhaul costs. The T7000 has a lot of commonality with the T1000, just like the MD-90’s IAE V2500-D5 had a lot of commonality with the -A5 on the A320 family. But there are still differences between the two, since the T1000 is bleed less while the T7000 is not. Delta, with a big in house engine operation, could deal with it but that is when you start seeing smaller carriers who outsource all their engine mx looking at other options.

There is also the fact that if the A330neo falls further it can actually start to get more expensive to acquire new, as lenders would be less willing to give favorable interest rates vs loans on the A350 or 787.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:22 am

Polot wrote:
AaronPMI wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

The 717 is just a version of the successful DC-9 family and the MD-11 is just a version of the successful (for its time) DC-10 family…

The biggest risk on the A330neo if not successful is the same thing that DL ended up facing with MD-90: engine overhaul costs. The T7000 has a lot of commonality with the T1000, just like the MD-90’s IAE V2500-D5 had a lot of commonality with the -A5 on the A320 family. But there are still differences between the two, since the T1000 is bleed less while the T7000 is not. Delta, with a big in house engine operation, could deal with it but that is when you start seeing smaller carriers who outsource all their engine mx looking at other options.

There is also the fact that if the A330neo falls further it can actually start to get more expensive to acquire new, as lenders would be less willing to give favorable interest rates vs loans on the A350 or 787.

The problem with the MD-90 is Delta let their own overhaul certification expire as they had three vendors on the V2500D5 they could bid against each other. The issue was, there wasn't enough business for more than one vendor. Suddenly Delta was left with one vendor in New Zealand certified on the engines who didn't negotiate on cost.

The A330 NEO could face that issue. Just as the DC-10-10 at the end had expensive engines to overhaul even though related to other engines. There is quite the risk on the T7000... oh, Delta will be ok, I would be very concerned at any other airline. This will handicap A330NEO lease placements and purchases unless the airline has a contract with RR (which is never cheap). The engine maintenance costs on the power by the hour basis will handicap airframe sales. Oh well...

The 717 shared business jet engines that worked as long as DL was paying for overhauls (BMR700 where the high spool is common) with DC-9 wing and gear, but more modern subsystems. The A330NEO is an A330CEO where the wing modifications won't effect maintenance significantly, but the rare new subsystems will be a problem. I think the analogy is spot on.

Per Wikipedia, there are 63 A330NEO deliveries, Four the A338, the rest A339
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A3 ... deliveries

Of 331 orders, 78 are AirAsiaX whose credit is toast and they accepted 2
46 for "undisclosed" I assume is HNA and thus at deep risk
28 for Iran Air that isn't happening yet and ... I don't think will, but that quickly goes into politics.

Then we get the leasing companies
25 for CIT group
23 for ALC

Some of those are at risk (but I've lost track of how many accepted...)
I also think Guardia, Lion Air, and Cebu Pacific will cut orders (Cebu will take A320NEOs in place)

331-76 (lost AirAsiaX)-28 (Iran Air), -46 (I believe HNA) leaves only 181. Then Guardia, Lion Air, and Cebu Pacific will cut orders. So will leasing companies. But I can only guess how many. I always come out with a number much less than the 156 Boeing 717s delivered, but I assume there will be some future sales.

Coronavirus failed AirAsia X. They are really trying to stiff leasing companies. I think anyone who loses a bonus has a long memory... (Leasing company executives.) So one airline failure has major riples through the leasing market which really hurts the A330NEO... Just my opinion.

Lightsaber

Speedy752

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:01 am

lightsaber wrote:
Polot wrote:
AaronPMI wrote:

The problem with the MD-90 is Delta let their own overhaul certification expire as they had three vendors on the V2500D5 they could bid against each other. The issue was, there wasn't enough business for more than one vendor. Suddenly Delta was left with one vendor in New Zealand certified on the engines who didn't negotiate on cost.

The A330 NEO could face that issue. Just as the DC-10-10 at the end had expensive engines to overhaul even though related to other engines. There is quite the risk on the T7000... oh, Delta will be ok, I would be very concerned at any other airline. This will handicap A330NEO lease placements and purchases unless the airline has a contract with RR (which is never cheap). The engine maintenance costs on the power by the hour basis will handicap airframe sales. Oh well...

The 717 shared business jet engines that worked as long as DL was paying for overhauls (BMR700 where the high spool is common) with DC-9 wing and gear, but more modern subsystems. The A330NEO is an A330CEO where the wing modifications won't effect maintenance significantly, but the rare new subsystems will be a problem. I think the analogy is spot on.

28 for Iran Air that isn't happening yet and ... I don't think will, but that quickly goes into politics.

25 for CIT group
23 for ALC

I also think Guardia, Lion Air, and Cebu Pacific will cut orders (Cebu will take A320NEOs in place)

331-76 (lost AirAsiaX)-28 (Iran Air), -46 (I believe HNA) leaves only 181. Then Guardia, Lion Air, and Cebu Pacific will cut orders. So will leasing companies. But I can only guess how many. I always come out with a number much less than the 156 Boeing 717s delivered, but I assume there will be some future sales.

Coronavirus failed AirAsia X. They are really trying to stiff leasing companies. I think anyone who loses a bonus has a long memory... (Leasing company executives.) So one airline failure has major riples through the leasing market which really hurts the A330NEO... Just my opinion.

Lightsaber

I think the customer base the A330neo has shouldered an outsized impact from the pandemic. With few exceptions these are small operators with only a few examples per, and now these airlines are bankrupt or at the very least in no position to take new aircraft. As a lessor I can’t imagine with this default risk they would take on a new plane where a 787/a350 would be much easier to find a home for, or where the attractiveness of continuing to lease current aircraft wouldn’t win out. We already see planes being repainted twice before entering service, what appear to be last minute deals struck, I think 100 deliveries looks optimistic at this point.

aemoreira1981

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:01 am

dstblj52 wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

probably delta buys everyone last one built and thats the end of that

Delta will still need frames in the 225-250 seat class. Could the A338 be pitched to Delta, as they have 767s closing in soon on 137,000 hours (validity limit is 150,000 hours)? The NMA doesn’t exist currently and DL could take A338s at 242t, although they would be much heavier than their 187t B763s and 205t B764s.

It is looking as though the fate of the program is reliant now on Delta. BTW, how many A339s have been built for AirAsia X?

JayinKitsap

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:25 am

lightsaber wrote:

25 for CIT group
23 for ALC

Lightsaber

What is the probable cost for a A339 to DL, how does this compare to the A359? There would be points where DL would buy used 332 and 333's or used 359's instead of more new A339's. Airbus may need a lot of sweetener or buy back clauses to get DL to order more A339's.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:39 pm

Speedy752 wrote:
I think the customer base the A330neo has shouldered an outsized impact from the pandemic. With few exceptions these are small operators with only a few examples per, and now these airlines are bankrupt or at the very least in no position to take new aircraft. As a lessor I can’t imagine with this default risk they would take on a new plane where a 787/a350 would be much easier to find a home for, or where the attractiveness of continuing to lease current aircraft wouldn’t win out. We already see planes being repainted twice before entering service, what appear to be last minute deals struck, I think 100 deliveries looks optimistic at this point.

I agree with you, but I want to rephrase.

The pandemic took out the #1 buyer of the A330NEO, an aircraft that had too few sales as is. Now, the future hope of the A330NEO was all those small operators you note and for the most part, they are down for the count and need to avoid acquiring new widebodies for a while and seriously see if the A321xLR is good enough to cut costs. (I'm serious.) So the A330NEO took a triple hit one the largest buyer (this thread) really being tenuous on survival. They might or might not survive which won't have a material impact on the A330NEO at this point either way.

A fourth issue is the pause the pandemic created combined with the 787 drop in production. Suddenly Boeing is going to be a much more competitive purchase decision. I bet Boeing is scrambling to better support small purchases with the complicated 787 (software, support team) to get in their with 789 and possibly 788 sales.

Airbus/RR were already having to Sell A330NEOs cheap. With the 787 sales teams also out there, I cannot imagine any new sale will be easy. The only hope for avoiding a "last call" on the A330NEO is short term sales. At this time Airbus must be really regretting not doing an A338F and in my opinion it is too late to offer it to ride out the widebody slump we are in (it takes more years to certify an aircraft post MAX, in my opinion). So literally the only hope for the A339 is DL.

Yet DL is amicable to cheap enough A359s and Airbus really needs to look to the future and solidify new orders for that airframe/engine. So... in my opinion Airbus executives will really have to earn their pay and bonus and decide if they offer A339s to Airbus at a loss to try and save the A330NEO (but can they?) or bolter up the A350 with a top off sale to DL at a small profit, but a discount from before (my opinion on pricing).

JayinKitsap wrote:

What is the probable cost for a A339 to DL, how does this compare to the A359? There would be points where DL would buy used 332 and 333's or used 359's instead of more new A339's. Airbus may need a lot of sweetener or buy back clauses to get DL to order more A339's.

We need to go back to the used prices.
The LATAM A359s we agreed above are probably at the low end of the price range (if not setting a new low as DL is a nasty negotiator, with a smile):
viewtopic.php?t=1460947

A350-900 - $77.0 - 149.0M, $450-1,030,000

You really cannot compete with mid 70s M pricing with the A359. The variable cost is just too low.

Unfortunately for DL and Airbus, the 787 costs will push down A330NEO pricing:
B787-8 - $47.8 - 100.5M, $290-650,000
B787-9 - $72.5 - 140.0M, $410-940,000

Ok, the top of the 789 is going to be poor negotiated purchases. The top of the 788 is about to drop below $100 million. Rhoo Rhoo. That will put down A339 values as that will be potential competition (e.g., AA bought 788s supposedly for really good pricing).

With Delta flying some international less than daily, they have adopted a strategy that allows more granular purchasing of aircraft. The issue is the A338 doesn't cost much less per flight than the A339. That means the 789 is going to be too competitive in ranges it flies (obviously the A338 has more range). I do not see DL flying ULH with the A338.

DL is in the drivers seat and needs enough new ordres. They'll either buy more A339 at a steep discount. I wouldn't rule out Boeing and even possibly GE coming in with a killer 787 deal in quantity either. With an airline as large as DL and as efficient at incorporating multiple subfleets, I won't rule anything out. Oh, I think DL is overall on a fleet simplification, but I also believe their mangagement is canny in extracting the most from every negotiation and Boeing could come in. I would think only say a 25% probability, but that isn't zero.

DL should be paying less than the top of the A339 market, so less than $110 M. It could be less than $100M, I don't know and am just speculating. But the A338? That will have less value as a freight conversion. As much as I admire DL using up airframe value to almost the economic end, I think this pandemic has them thinking of exit strategies if they mis-buy. (Obviously, just my opinion.)

But with used A359 pricing being less than new A330NEO pricing, DL should negotiate hard and survey that market first.

What is sad is AirAsiaX has gone from the drivers seat on the A330NEO to irrelevant. It is bad when the government has to step in and prevent creditors from suing for their property. This is going to make lending to the whole nation under a new set of rules in my opinion. This actually, in my opinion, should reduce the chance of an AirAsiaX revival.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 021-06-18/

The creditors are having to suck up 6 months of no payments due to... a government changing the rules. It is almost as if they never read any books by Bernstein (Trade a marvelous exchange or others) which all point out consistent known rules of law stimulate business activity in a country. So that silly move alone makes me *far* more bearish on AirAsiaX than I would be.

The international community needs to step in and allow the seizure of AirAsiaX aircraft in bulk. The whole system has enough trouble as is without one country trying to reset the rules.

Lightsaber

jeffrey0032j

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:54 pm

lightsaber wrote:
With Delta flying some international less than daily, they have adopted a strategy that allows more granular purchasing of aircraft. The issue is the A338 doesn't cost much less per flight than the A339. That means the 789 is going to be too competitive in ranges it flies (obviously the A338 has more range). I do not see DL flying ULH with the A338.

DL is in the drivers seat and needs enough new ordres. They'll either buy more A339 at a steep discount. I wouldn't rule out Boeing and even possibly GE coming in with a killer 787 deal in quantity either. With an airline as large as DL and as efficient at incorporating multiple subfleets, I won't rule anything out. Oh, I think DL is overall on a fleet simplification, but I also believe their mangagement is canny in extracting the most from every negotiation and Boeing could come in. I would think only say a 25% probability, but that isn't zero.

DL should be paying less than the top of the A339 market, so less than $110 M. It could be less than $100M, I don't know and am just speculating. But the A338? That will have less value as a freight conversion. As much as I admire DL using up airframe value to almost the economic end, I think this pandemic has them thinking of exit strategies if they mis-buy. (Obviously, just my opinion.)

But with used A359 pricing being less than new A330NEO pricing, DL should negotiate hard and survey that market first.

If DL needs to fly ULH, they already have the 359 to do it. As for the 339, I would think that DL may take a second look at their 339 order, being stuck with an orphan fleet of aircraft has its own drawbacks, as we have seen with the MD90s. There will be increased parts costs due to lack of scale and scarcity of parts, and this will determine whether it is worth it keeping the order, and even if they decide to keep the order intact, the longevity of the 339 in DL's fleet will come into question - they will have to retire once it becomes untenable, ie when common parts (non life expired ones) with the 330ceo becomes scarce.

Speedy752

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:07 pm

I think as you point out, the a321LR/XLR are probably the right aircraft for smaller airlines looking to fly longer routes. It would have to be pretty lucrative to bring on a wide body. Hence if Airasia survives they could really just take XLRs and fill the gap of AAX.

Even if Airbus sold frames to Delta at a large loss, what are they hoping to do? This is like selling a380s to EK. It just stalls a foregone conclusion. It’s curious DL added to their order after they saw NEO sales not taking off. I suppose they could switch orders to a350s and order 787s. Will be interesting to watch

Revelation

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:19 pm

lightsaber wrote:
It is bad when the government has to step in and prevent creditors from suing for their property. This is going to make lending to the whole nation under a new set of rules in my opinion. This actually, in my opinion, should reduce the chance of an AirAsiaX revival.

The creditors are having to suck up 6 months of no payments due to... a government changing the rules. It is almost as if they never read any books by Bernstein (Trade a marvelous exchange or others) which all point out consistent known rules of law stimulate business activity in a country. So that silly move alone makes me *far* more bearish on AirAsiaX than I would be.

The international community needs to step in and allow the seizure of AirAsiaX aircraft in bulk. The whole system has enough trouble as is without one country trying to reset the rules.

That doesn't seem outlandish to me. Remember when United spent 1,150 days (so a bit over 3 years) in bankruptcy (late 2002 - early 2006)?

I don't know if there will be a stigma against countries for this kind of action, or if so, if it will last for very long. Post recovery we'll hear about the untapped market with so many people spread across so many islands, airline salesmen love their commissions, so do bankers.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:28 pm

jeffrey0032j wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

If DL needs to fly ULH, they already have the 359 to do it. As for the 339, I would think that DL may take a second look at their 339 order, being stuck with an orphan fleet of aircraft has its own drawbacks, as we have seen with the MD90s. There will be increased parts costs due to lack of scale and scarcity of parts, and this will determine whether it is worth it keeping the order, and even if they decide to keep the order intact, the longevity of the 339 in DL's fleet will come into question - they will have to retire once it becomes untenable, ie when common parts (non life expired ones) with the 330ceo becomes scarce.

You post an interesting plausible scenario. Without AirAsiaX, does DL have delivery clauses based upon a take up rate/quantity with other airlines? If so, they will renegotiate. Having another fleet with orphan engines is not desirable. While DL has shown they can, to a limited degree, manage around such costs, I'm not certain they want to again.

They must do a case study on the costs of accepting versus the costs of moving on. I would love to sit in on those discussions. I take nothing for granted with any widebody order in the Covid19 timeline and post global vaccination for say the next 5 years.

The need to "overhaul" AirAsiaX took out 74 orders from a poor selling airframe. I don't know how to make the A330NEO viable.

That said, what news does AsiaAsiaX have on the restructure. So far it has been stuff a bad deal down the creditors' throats. I personally think it is time to cur the losses and reposses all aircraft. I know many will sit for a year or so, many will be scrapped, but what can will become freighter stock. I just don't see enough being offered creditors to do better than reposses aircraft.

Lightsaber

MrBryan86

Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:45 pm

jeffrey0032j wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Except 95% of the parts are actually common with the ceo, and with ceos being built till fairly recently, parts will probably not run out anytime soon. Even 10 years would be easily doable with how many A330s are still out there flying and plenty in storage.

Speedy752

Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:06 pm

MrBryan86 wrote:
jeffrey0032j wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Except 95% of the parts are actually common with the ceo, and with ceos being built till fairly recently, parts will probably not run out anytime soon. Even 10 years would be easily doable with how many A330s are still out there flying and plenty in storage.

It’s the 5% that are the issue, and the bespoke engines. The MD90 is the most apt example, very unsuccessful itself but following a broadly used airframe and using “broadly” the same v2500s on so many a320s. I wouldn’t be surprised the see DL retiring NEOs at the same time or earlier than CEOs if the situation stays the same. Just like the MD88s looked set to outlast the 90s solely because of engine overhaul cost.

JayinKitsap

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:38 pm

lightsaber wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:

We need to go back to the used prices.
The LATAM A359s we agreed above are probably at the low end of the price range (if not setting a new low as DL is a nasty negotiator, with a smile):
viewtopic.php?t=1460947

A350-900 - $77.0 - 149.0M, $450-1,030,000

You really cannot compete with mid 70s M pricing with the A359. The variable cost is just too low.

Unfortunately for DL and Airbus, the 787 costs will push down A330NEO pricing:
B787-8 - $47.8 - 100.5M, $290-650,000
B787-9 - $72.5 - 140.0M, $410-940,000

Ok, the top of the 789 is going to be poor negotiated purchases. The top of the 788 is about to drop below $100 million. Rhoo Rhoo. That will put down A339 values as that will be potential competition (e.g., AA bought 788s supposedly for really good pricing).

What is sad is AirAsiaX has gone from the drivers seat on the A330NEO to irrelevant. It is bad when the government has to step in and prevent creditors from suing for their property. This is going to make lending to the whole nation under a new set of rules in my opinion. This actually, in my opinion, should reduce the chance of an AirAsiaX revival.

Lightsaber

Thanks for your insight. To me it appears that DL should go for the A350 selecting choice used frames, the dilemma is the current A339 orders, keeping them on the books and not ordering further make it all the more of an orphan. There could be a case where ordering more is better, as well as a case to swap the A339 orders to A359's, but those already in early production Airbus would want DL to still take.

---
History has shown that when entities such as AirAsiaX &/or countries like Indonesia change the rules after contracts are signed might get away with it in a given case, but they freeze out the possibility of future lending, those getting burned have very long memories and lots of alternates. Why invest in a high risk environment when the lower risk case is available. AirAsiaX's actions likely have killed any future chance of obtaining leased aircraft or equipment, why would a lender risk it.

jbs2886

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:53 pm

Revelation wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
It is bad when the government has to step in and prevent creditors from suing for their property. This is going to make lending to the whole nation under a new set of rules in my opinion. This actually, in my opinion, should reduce the chance of an AirAsiaX revival.

That doesn't seem outlandish to me. Remember when United spent 1,150 days (so a bit over 3 years) in bankruptcy (late 2002 - early 2006)?

I don't know if there will be a stigma against countries for this kind of action, or if so, if it will last for very long. Post recovery we'll hear about the untapped market with so many people spread across so many islands, airline salesmen love their commissions, so do bankers.

That’s just a bankruptcy rule and as Lightsaber notes, lenders understand that and lease aircraft accordingly. A government changing the rules to favor a company is VERY different and will make other lenders far more cautious. It really isn’t about the length of restructuring or what happens, it’s about clear rules. A government that changes the rules in the middle of the game risks a lot of consequences.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:12 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

That’s just a bankruptcy rule and as Lightsaber notes, lenders understand that and lease aircraft accordingly. A government changing the rules to favor a company is VERY different and will make other lenders far more cautious. It really isn’t about the length of restructuring or what happens, it’s about clear rules. A government that changes the rules in the middle of the game risks a lot of consequences.

As any reader of the economist Bernstein knows, Bad rules that are known can be planned and costed. A rule change... makes lenders assume more rule changes. There has to be pricing on unknowns which ends up spooking investors.

AirAsiaX will suffer more from the rule changes then if they had just kept to a bankruptcy under normal rules. This won't just effect AirAsiaX, it will effect business that borrow in all the countries that allowed the rule change.

The more I find out about the AirAsiaX bankruptcy, the less optimistic I am they can recover. This isn't a negotiated bankruptcy...
To say the least, this quarter's leasing companies conference calls (e.g., ALCs is 2nd week of August) will be mighty interesting.

Lightsaber

MIflyer12

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:21 pm

Revelation wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

You're suggesting that the international community - whatever that is - step in to override relevant national bankruptcy law. I don't think we want to go there. (See how Brexit became an ugly assertion of sovereignty.) I agree with another poster - aircraft leasing companies are big boys and price for risk, including 'flexible' bankruptcy law. They regularly choose venues for tax purposes. This is just another risk element.

As for DL's widebody fleet strategy - 330neo, 350, 787 - I'll save that for another thread.

VV

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:47 pm

It's everyone's interest that EurAsia X survives.
So perhaps it will survive after all. Or not.

oldJoe

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:12 pm

VV wrote:
It's everyone's interest that EurAsia X survives.
So perhaps it will survive after all. Or not.

EurAsia X :?:
When that airline started operations or exist at all ???

lightsaber

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:36 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

You're suggesting that the international community - whatever that is - step in to override relevant national bankruptcy law. I don't think we want to go there. (See how Brexit became an ugly assertion of sovereignty.) I agree with another poster - aircraft leasing companies are big boys and price for risk, including 'flexible' bankruptcy law. They regularly choose venues for tax purposes. This is just another risk element.

As for DL's widebody fleet strategy - 330neo, 350, 787 - I'll save that for another thread.

I'm suggesting the international community enforce existing law (Cape Town convention) on aircraft financing. Either these international agreements have the force of law, or leasing companies need to come up with new terms (e.g., large amounts of funds in escrow).

One possible solution is exercise Chicago convention rules and force airlines to only register in countries the leasing companies approve. e.g., Indonesia could lose registration authority effectively if there is enough of a disruption.

https://www.hklaw.com/-/media/files/ins ... .pdf?la=en

I personally find the implications of the Chicago convention facinating:
https://www.mcgill.ca/iasl/files/iasl/a ... .%E2%80%9D

AirAsiaX is going to force another convention on aircraft leasing and regulation in my opinion due to how bad this bankruptcy is.

Lightsaber

moa999

Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:43 am

It's no different to Virgin Australia Imho.

The equity is worth nothing.
Debt/lessors has to take a haircut and have some ongoing relationship, or get nothing.

New equity comes in (in VAs case private equity, in D7s case from AAG).

The only difference here is that some investors still seem to think AAX.MK has value.

RoyalBrunei757

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:51 am

To put on record, AerCap repossessed Thai AirAsia X A330-343 MSN 1065 HS-XTL recently. Flew SIN-CRK as VQ-BCU for further storage on 8th July 2021. Ex-Aeroflot machine VQ-BCU. It was only delivered on 24th January 2020, stored March 2020, before it flew to SIN for lease return check in January 2021.

Thai AirAsia X is locked in dispute with same lessor for another airframe HS-XTM MSN 1072, also ex-Aeroflot machine VQ-BCV. Currently stored in HKG since April 2020 in full livery.

jbs2886

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:07 am

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
To put on record, AerCap repossessed Thai AirAsia X A330-343 MSN 1065 HS-XTL recently. Flew SIN-CRK as VQ-BCU for further storage on 8th July 2021. Ex-Aeroflot machine VQ-BCU. It was only delivered on 24th January 2020, stored March 2020, before it flew to SIN for lease return check in January 2021.

Thai AirAsia X is locked in dispute with same lessor for another airframe HS-XTM MSN 1072, also ex-Aeroflot machine VQ-BCV. Currently stored in HKG since April 2020 in full livery.

Was it returned or actually repossessed? Repossession meaning against the will of Air Asia X. There’s quite a big difference if it’s mutual or repossessed. Moreover, creditors can’t just repossess assets in restructurings - that entirely defeats the purpose - the court needs to approve the transfer (otherwise it’s removing assets from the business).

Flying-Tiger

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:08 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
Thanks for your insight. To me it appears that DL should go for the A350 selecting choice used frames, the dilemma is the current A339 orders, keeping them on the books and not ordering further make it all the more of an orphan. There could be a case where ordering more is better, as well as a case to swap the A339 orders to A359's, but those already in early production Airbus would want DL to still take.

If rumours are to be believed about 15 of the AAX A330-900 will be taken up by Condor, with the first three MSN already being allocated (MSN 1966, 1971 and 1972). That deal alone all of the sudden changes the overall equation of the discussion as another larger client is added to the order / lessor book. I don´t but into this whole doom & gloom saga at the moment, and looking on how flexible fleet planning and market development currently is it may easily be the case that some carrier will need to add capacity rather sooner than later, and have drawn down too low already (Delta & Lufthansa seem to be such candidates, though both of them appear to be the most opportunistic of all large airlines currently).

RoyalBrunei757

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:06 am

jbs2886 wrote:
RoyalBrunei757 wrote:

Was it returned or actually repossessed? Repossession meaning against the will of Air Asia X. There’s quite a big difference if it’s mutual or repossessed. Moreover, creditors can’t just repossess assets in restructurings - that entirely defeats the purpose - the court needs to approve the transfer (otherwise it’s removing assets from the business).

Despite being granted restraining order extension recently by High Court of Malaysia recently, AerCap (although being listed as one of the creditors in the restraining order) has been removing their aircraft from AirAsia X and its associate company Thai AirAsia X. This happened last year before the restraning order was put in place.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ning-order

To recap, BOC Aviation and AerCap (previously ILFC) won their civil suits against AirAsia X last year. Both lessors collectively have 8 A330s (Aercap 4, BOC 4) stuck with AirAsia X Group.

As far as lessors are concerned, BOC has not reposess their assets. AerCap has done so last year March 2020. The first restraining order was approved in March 2021 to last until June 2021, then granted another 9 months extension. AerCap has removed their three out of four A330s. They took back MSN 781 HS-XTB and MSN 741 HS-XTD in March 2020; HS-XTL in May 2020. Now locked in dispute for HS-XTM.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/b ... 45.article
https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/a ... 34.article

While we are at this topic, AWAS has also took possession of MSN 1533 9M-XXS and MSN 1549 9M-XXT. AWAS is listed as two of the 15 creditors in the restraining order list (AWAS 1533 and AWAS 1549) but both were flown to Manila anyway in May and June 2021.

On last count, before the repossesion, 31 (out of approx. 39) A330 of AirAsia X Group are owned by lessors, majority of them have agreed to negotiate the deals and would not want to see AirAsia X fails.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:18 am

lightsaber wrote:
One possible solution is exercise Chicago convention rules and force airlines to only register in countries the leasing companies approve. e.g., Indonesia could lose registration authority effectively if there is enough of a disruption.

Sure. That goes directly to my point of lease companies choosing venues where they're relatively more satisfied with BK law (and the prospects for long-term stability of that law).

VV

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:46 am

Is AirAsia X worth saving?

Or should they just close the airline?

RoyalBrunei757

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:25 pm

VV wrote:

Not worth saving at all, liabilties are in tune of US$15.9 billion, even taking of Airbus portion the debt is still too much to stomach. Like what BOC Aviation said, the airline is hopelessly insolvent.

moa999

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:37 pm

But in effect that's what the proposal is..

Effectively AAG is buying the shell and AOC for $1, agreeing to kick in $xx million new equity.
And agreeing to keep on certain select liabilities and future contracts.

It's ugly either way for the lessors and Airbus.

MrBryan86

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:48 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
RoyalBrunei757 wrote:

Despite being granted restraining order extension recently by High Court of Malaysia recently, AerCap (although being listed as one of the creditors in the restraining order) has been removing their aircraft from AirAsia X and its associate company Thai AirAsia X. This happened last year before the restraning order was put in place.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ning-order

To recap, BOC Aviation and AerCap (previously ILFC) won their civil suits against AirAsia X last year. Both lessors collectively have 8 A330s (Aercap 4, BOC 4) stuck with AirAsia X Group.

As far as lessors are concerned, BOC has not reposess their assets. AerCap has done so last year March 2020. The first restraining order was approved in March 2021 to last until June 2021, then granted another 9 months extension. AerCap has removed their three out of four A330s. They took back MSN 781 HS-XTB and MSN 741 HS-XTD in March 2020; HS-XTL in May 2020. Now locked in dispute for HS-XTM.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/b ... 45.article
https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/a ... 34.article

While we are at this topic, AWAS has also took possession of MSN 1533 9M-XXS and MSN 1549 9M-XXT. AWAS is listed as two of the 15 creditors in the restraining order list (AWAS 1533 and AWAS 1549) but both were flown to Manila anyway in May and June 2021.

On last count, before the repossesion, 31 (out of approx. 39) A330 of AirAsia X Group are owned by lessors, majority of them have agreed to negotiate the deals and would not want to see AirAsia X fails.

HS-XTB and HS-XTD are both slated to be bound for Wamos Air. XTB is already been repainted into Wamos livery at SIN and awaiting delivery.

VV

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:57 pm

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
VV wrote:

Not worth saving at all, liabilties are in tune of US$15.9 billion, even taking of Airbus portion the debt is still too much to stomach. Like what BOC Aviation said, the airline is hopelessly insolvent.

So what would be the outcome of the "restructuring" effort?
Does it mean creditors will lose money?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos