Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
777luver
Topic Author
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Air Transat launches YUl-ATH, scheduled 9 hours eastbound and 12 hours eastbound, very impressive!

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2020/
 
airbuster
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:43 am

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:45 pm

Whilst impressive I’m not sure if the westbound return is without a techstop or at least some margin to allow for a possible techstop. But still impressive to see the 321 capable of doing this.
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!
 
kaneporta1
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:22 am

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:14 pm

I've done ATH-YUL on their A330. Flight time was about 9.40 hours. This leads me to believe that a tech stop is planned for the A321 flight.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7054
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:16 pm

One can hardly talk about launch when in fact, as written on the linked post: "Air Transat in late-October 2020 schedules one-time service to Greece".
 
Sightseer
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:04 am

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:59 pm

The 3:15 disparity between eastbound and westbound block times makes me think there has to be a tech stop en route back to YUL, right?
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 4181
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:21 pm

No way in hell I would take that flight even if it were free.
 
MO11
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:22 pm

airbuster wrote:
Whilst impressive I’m not sure if the westbound return is without a techstop or at least some margin to allow for a possible techstop.



Certainly, since the 3+ hour difference between eastbound and westbound can't be attributed solely to winds. Between YUL and FRA, the Lufthansa schedule shows a 45 minute differential eastbound/westbound on the same day.
 
777luver
Topic Author
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:43 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
One can hardly talk about launch when in fact, as written on the linked post: "Air Transat in late-October 2020 schedules one-time service to Greece".


New user here, I’m not sure how to change the title of the thread, but let’s get technical
 
Nicoeddf
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 am

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:51 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
No way in hell I would take that flight even if it were free.


Ok, thanks for sharing your personal feeling about that.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7054
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:05 pm

777luver wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
One can hardly talk about launch when in fact, as written on the linked post: "Air Transat in late-October 2020 schedules one-time service to Greece".


New user here, I’m not sure how to change the title of the thread, but let’s get technical


After posting, you have 30 minutes during which you can edit your post by clicking on a pen-like icon, in the upper right corner of your post. Once that time is over, you can ask for a change through the moderators by clicking on the triangle and filling in the form according to what you need.
 
tomcat
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 4:14 am

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:35 pm

777luver wrote:
Air Transat launches YUl-ATH, scheduled 9 hours eastbound and 12 hours eastbound, very impressive!

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2020/


YUL-ATH is 4131nm per GCmap so this one-off flight can be operated without tech stop on the outbound flight with a meaningful load if they need to.

When tourism will re-open for good, I'm wondering if Air Transat could be tempted to fly directly to Santorini or Mykonos now that they have these NEO-LR in their fleet. These 2 islands are quite unique markets within the Greek touristic market. With their relatively short runways (about 2000m long), they wouldn't allow for non-stop flight back to YUL even with an XLR I guess but at least the YUL-island leg would be non-stop and that could be an incentive to launch such flights.
 
marcogr12
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:42 pm

tomcat wrote:
777luver wrote:
Air Transat launches YUl-ATH, scheduled 9 hours eastbound and 12 hours eastbound, very impressive!

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2020/


YUL-ATH is 4131nm per GCmap so this one-off flight can be operated without tech stop on the outbound flight with a meaningful load if they need to.

When tourism will re-open for good, I'm wondering if Air Transat could be tempted to fly directly to Santorini or Mykonos now that they have these NEO-LR in their fleet. These 2 islands are quite unique markets within the Greek touristic market. With their relatively short runways (about 2000m long), they wouldn't allow for non-stop flight back to YUL even with an XLR I guess but at least the YUL-island leg would be non-stop and that could be an incentive to launch such flights.


The only other high-traffic airports with a runway long enough to have TATL takeoffs are : Rhodes, Thessaloniki, Chania...they all have 3000m + long runway..HER has a 2700m runway
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..
 
tomcat
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 4:14 am

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:56 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
tomcat wrote:
777luver wrote:
Air Transat launches YUl-ATH, scheduled 9 hours eastbound and 12 hours eastbound, very impressive!

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2020/


YUL-ATH is 4131nm per GCmap so this one-off flight can be operated without tech stop on the outbound flight with a meaningful load if they need to.

When tourism will re-open for good, I'm wondering if Air Transat could be tempted to fly directly to Santorini or Mykonos now that they have these NEO-LR in their fleet. These 2 islands are quite unique markets within the Greek touristic market. With their relatively short runways (about 2000m long), they wouldn't allow for non-stop flight back to YUL even with an XLR I guess but at least the YUL-island leg would be non-stop and that could be an incentive to launch such flights.


The only other high-traffic airports with a runway long enough to have TATL takeoffs are : Rhodes, Thessaloniki, Chania...they all have 3000m + long runway..HER has a 2700m runway


Thanks. But besides the fact that an XLR would be needed to make the westbound leg non-stop, having the runway is not sufficient to sustain the flight (by the way, what's the runway length required for an XLR takeing-off at 100 tonnes at sea level and 35°C?). There has to be a sufficient demand at the required yield. That's why I had been thinking about Santorini and Mykonos because they could support higher yields than say Chania.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 26317
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:14 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
No way in hell I would take that flight even if it were free.

Different folks, different strokes, go figure...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
fjhc
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:25 pm

Think I'd prefer to fly on of their A321neos than one of their A330s , given that they squeeze 9 across. The only downside would be the time taken for the tech stop.
 
RvA
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:36 pm

fjhc wrote:
Think I'd prefer to fly on of their A321neos than one of their A330s , given that they squeeze 9 across. The only downside would be the time taken for the tech stop.


I would say so too when comparing to a 9 abreast A330. Anyone have any pitch and width numbers handy to compare the two?
 
fjhc
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Seat Guru says 31x18 for the A321 and 32-33x 17 for the A330.
 
arcticcruiser
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:48 pm

Westbound refuelling at either SNN or YQX. Both smack on the great circle track.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9628
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:47 am

Tough to get excited about a single round-trip.
 
ramprat320
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:42 am

Well the Air Canada ATH - YUL flight is blocked at 09:50 on the 787. Obviously the 321 is planned to do a tech stop if it’s showing 11+hrs.
 
DylanHarvey
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:18 am

ramprat320 wrote:
Well the Air Canada ATH - YUL flight is blocked at 09:50 on the 787. Obviously the 321 is planned to do a tech stop if it’s showing 11+hrs.

The dream liner is .85 Aircraft and the 321 is going to be .78 or maybe .76 @LRC
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2635
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Air Transat Launches A321neoLR YUL-ATH

Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:39 am

fjhc wrote:
Seat Guru says 31x18 for the A321 and 32-33x 17 for the A330.


See! I'd personally go for the legroom, and never mind about seat-width, I have a small ass anyway.
Seriously, there's no comparison in terms of 'big cabin feel' between a big A330, even in high density config, vis a vis a narrow body...
Flying long haul on a narrow body gets claustrophobic after a short few hours....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos