Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8
 
dolphinflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 9:57 pm

WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:36 pm

Andrew Waterson just announced at the Boyd Conference that Southwest will launch service to IAH and ORD during the first half of 2021. Details and schedules to be announced within the next few weeks.
 
Airlines0613
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:06 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:37 pm

WOW, did not expect this move at all. :O
 
x1234
Posts: 949
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Why not DFW, EWR and JFK? Those are the only major airports left that WN isn’t in. I know JetBlue benefits enormously of the international airlines at JFK with people making their own connections (e.g. Norwegian TATL).
 
Western727
Posts: 1798
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:43 pm

IAH and ORD?? I had to do a big double take, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Jack @ AUS
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3071
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:43 pm

x1234 wrote:
Why not DFW, EWR and JFK? Those are the only major airports left that WN isn’t in. I know JetBlue benefits enormously of the international airlines at JFK with people making their own connections (e.g. Norwegian TATL).


See here for DFW: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1452713

Under the 5-party agreement between Southwest Airlines, American Airlines, the DFW International Airport Board, the City of Dallas, and the City of Fort Worth, WN will be able to serve airports other than DAL in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex without having to give up any gates at DAL starting in 2025, which is less than 5 years away.
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10310
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:46 pm

dolphinflyer wrote:
Andrew Waterson just announced at the Boyd Conference that Southwest will launch service to IAH and ORD during the first half of 2021. Details and schedules to be announced within the next few weeks.

Fits with the MIA move. Transition to being a full legacy.
Last edited by enilria on Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5435
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:46 pm

UA management isn't going to like this at all, they already have to deal with B6 in EWR now WN in ORD/IAH

This is big for people in the northern suburbs of Chicago, WN was normally never an option for me.

I wonder if this has any impact on WN's MKE service, likely a limited amount, but could be interesting....
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 2967
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:51 pm

It should say "WN returns to IAH", as WN did fly IAH-HOU for some time, if I recall correctly, about the same time Continental flew IAH-DAL.
I'm not on CM's payroll.
 
ILikeTrains
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:18 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:52 pm

F*** yea! No more having to drive an extra 30 minutes to fly WN! I really hope this is true.

I’m curious which terminal they would sit in at ORD.
Last edited by ILikeTrains on Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
joeljack
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:38 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Wow! Very interesting! ORD is a big market and just think, DEN is the biggest and most profitable hub for UA right now and WN is huge there. Maybe it won’t hurt UA or AA that much. I would think it will hurt their MDW operation some.

From ORD, I could see DEN, DAL, BNA, BWI and LAS to start with. Unless they throw Florida in the mix too.
Last edited by joeljack on Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14636
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:53 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
UA management isn't going to like this at all, they already have to deal with B6 in EWR now WN in ORD/IAH

This is big for people in the northern suburbs of Chicago, WN was normally never an option for me.

I wonder if this has any impact on WN's MKE service, likely a limited amount, but could be interesting....


Assuming the ORD operation is smaller than MKE - and that seems likely given the present gate sitaution at ORD - there's objectively only a narrow band of the north and northwest suburbs where options at ORD make WN significantly more attractive. But on some level perception is reality, and lots of north side folks look exclusively to ORD.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
DaCubbyBearBar
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:55 pm

ORD better not be a joke!!! ABOUT TIME!!!
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine
 
Italianflyer
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:06 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Be interesting to see how UA responds when they inevitably link ORD/IAH up to DEN.
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 948
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:59 pm

What the heck? Thrilled about ORD, but why the sudden reversal of longstanding practices? Where are they even going to go in ORD?

I wonder if they sense blood with AA and are trying to take advantage?
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3071
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:04 pm

 
WN732
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:07 pm

All I can say is WOW!
 
tphuang
Posts: 5477
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:10 pm

UA is really not going to like this.
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:11 pm

Like MIA ORD opens a huge segment of the local population. Getting from South Miami to FLL is a PITA as well as North Chicago to MDW & not worth saving $50.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2045
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:14 pm

Let's be honest with the ever increasing pressure from ULCC at ORD the lure of WN at MKE to the north and MDW to the south has come down drastically in the last 5 years alone.
Now ORD gives MDW a much Alt destination during in severe weather at MDW.

Now if UA or AA buckle under pressure from the Pandemic and financial fallout will we see WN abandon MDW in years to come should a lot of gates become available? Or watch MDW only feed DEN,BWI,STL and ATL in the future?
Crazy times.

Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
737MAX7
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:25 pm

But hey I’m supposed to take a paycut
 
joeblow10
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Both ORD and IAH are somewhat constrained - I doubt there are going to be very many ops - even if successful (a la DEN of 2005), it's going to be tough to expand in a big way at either. But it's nice to at least have the alternative to their other airports.

On another note - this is bound to make tensions with employees (FAs, pilots) worse. Not only is the expansion continuing while asking for pay cuts - now crews will likely have to commute across town, in base... certainly wouldn't make me happy. Somebody let me know if the WN contract says otherwise...
Last edited by joeblow10 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Vctony
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 1999 10:51 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:27 pm

If they’re into the multiple airports in the same market strategy they should go back to EWR. Especially as they have geographic limitations with LGA and a limited catchment area with ISP.
 
departedflights
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:29 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
It should say "WN returns to IAH", as WN did fly IAH-HOU for some time, if I recall correctly, about the same time Continental flew IAH-DAL.


Actually, Southwest has served Intercontinental twice in the past.

When Southwest first started flying on June 18, 1971, its initial routes were between Dallas Love Field to San Antonio (6 times daily) and Houston Intercontinental (12 times daily).

On November 14 of that year, Hobby was added to the route system and Southwest served both airports until May 1972 when all operations were moved to Hobby.

In September 1980, Southwest returned to Intercontinental and remained there until the station was again closed on April 5, 2005.
The opinions are expressed are my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my coworkers or my employer.
 
WN732
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:31 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Let's be honest with the ever increasing pressure from ULCC at ORD the lure of WN at MKE to the north and MDW to the south come down drastically in the last 5 years alone.
Now ORD gives MDW a much Alt during destination in severe weather at MDW.

Now if UA or AA buckle under pressure from the Pandemic and financial fallout will we see WN abandon MDW in years to come should a lot of gates become available? Or watch MDW only feed DEN,BWI,STL and ATL in the future?
Crazy times.

Flyguy


I wouldn't see that happening at all. The reason being that MDW would become a cesspool of ULCC. WN would end up losing market share in that situation and WN would be stuck duking out everything against UA and AA (or what's left of them). With the current scenario, Chicago is somewhat parsed where you have 3 major airline hubs that can sustain themselves without crushing each other. I don't think WN wants to throw all of their eggs in one basket.

I feel that they see this as an opportunity to serve a major MAJOR airport where in previous times half of Chicago was too far to get to WN. This is akin to how they serve SFO, SJC, and OAK together, but maintain a token presence to SFO. I foresee the same setup being for MIA, IAH, and ORD. DEN was honestly a dark horse that exploded with growth that WN probably couldn't imagine at the time. But there has never been a better time to get into these airports as airlines are questioning their gate leases at these major hubs where there were meager opportunities before.

What this does clearly show, is that no airport is off the table (except DFW) for WN, and we will probably see even more markets come online.
Last edited by WN732 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11229
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:31 pm

Crosstown service would be a blessing given all the construction. ;)
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8533
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:33 pm

enilria wrote:
Transition to being a full legacy.


That's meaningless in this context. 'Legacy' doesn't mean 'flies to a bunch of big airports.' The original definition was a carrier that had interstate routes before the Airline Deregulation Act - which WN most surely did not. It has been expanded to meaning a carrier with F cabins, lounges, and interline agreements. Again, not WN of the past or present.

The IAH and ORD expansion mean they're chasing after O&D traffic (passengers with a preference for those airports vs. HOU and MDW) at the cost of competing with their own 'focus cities' a bit. Given the geographical size of the Chicago and Houston metros (and the population growth potential in Houston) this may not be a bad bet. Fans don't give a thought to WN serving LAX + BUR, ONT, LGB, and SNA; nor BWI + IAD + DCA.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8533
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:36 pm

x1234 wrote:
Why not DFW, EWR and JFK? Those are the only major airports left that WN isn’t in. I know JetBlue benefits enormously of the international airlines at JFK with people making their own connections (e.g. Norwegian TATL).


I'd really like to see numbers on the self-connecting crowd. I suspect they're pretty small relative to international passenger counts at DFW/EWR/JFK - especially in the era of duplicate bag fees. A.net lore perhaps unsupported by fact.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2045
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:44 pm

I'm gonna say It with the MAX returning to service in 2021 and a new Bigger Terminal 1 coming to EWR WN Is going to return to EWR.
In addition I can see WN adding at least one Gate and had full of flights to JFK since everyone else has scaled back.
The pandemic slot wavers will not last forever and WN can dip it's toes into JFK causing B6 to either defeated JFK And un focus on building up LAX.

Let's not forget UA sees opportunity of Space opening up at JFK during this pandemic fallout. B6 is gonna need some serious defence in 2021.

Definitely a shocker with ORD and IAH.


Strange times of NEVER say never.
Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6194
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:44 pm

What’s happening is that WN is taking advantage of UAs ultra conservative approach. I suppose if there was one positive to AAs approach is that it’s making it hard for competition to move in. UA is doing right by its checkbook, but it’s leaving itself open to poaching.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5256
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:45 pm

joeljack wrote:
Wow! Very interesting! ORD is a big market and just think, DEN is the biggest and most profitable hub for UA right now and WN is huge there. Maybe it won’t hurt UA or AA that much. I would think it will hurt their MDW operation some.

From ORD, I could see DEN, DAL, BNA, BWI and LAS to start with. Unless they throw Florida in the mix too.



I could see DTW as well.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
bob75013
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:47 pm

enilria wrote:
dolphinflyer wrote:
Andrew Waterson just announced at the Boyd Conference that Southwest will launch service to IAH and ORD during the first half of 2021. Details and schedules to be announced within the next few weeks.

Fits with the MIA move. Transition to being a full legacy.



Not hardly. Legacy airlines operate a relatively small number of massive hub and spoke operations.

That sure as heck does not describe WN.
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3354
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:50 pm

I don't see this as much of a shocker. As time goes on, WN needs to continue to look to airports they do not serve, and these are two airports they do not currently serve (and MIA), sooner or later, when you continue to take delivery of a/c, you are going to have to enter into airports that you currently do not serve.
 
User avatar
usdcaguy
Posts: 1550
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:41 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:54 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
enilria wrote:
Transition to being a full legacy.


That's meaningless in this context. 'Legacy' doesn't mean 'flies to a bunch of big airports.' The original definition was a carrier that had interstate routes before the Airline Deregulation Act - which WN most surely did not. It has been expanded to meaning a carrier with F cabins, lounges, and interline agreements. Again, not WN of the past or present.

The IAH and ORD expansion mean they're chasing after O&D traffic (passengers with a preference for those airports vs. HOU and MDW) at the cost of competing with their own 'focus cities' a bit. Given the geographical size of the Chicago and Houston metros (and the population growth potential in Houston) this may not be a bad bet. Fans don't give a thought to WN serving LAX + BUR, ONT, LGB, and SNA; nor BWI + IAD + DCA.


This is a good move for WN, and it will be dependent upon them cherry-picking the best routes out of ORD and IAH. I’m sure people will be thrilled, but WN’s success will ultimately come down to the markets being served.

The reason why WN is a legacy carrier in layman’s terms is that they have high labor costs and fares that are similar to the US3 and have a number of cities like MDW and HOU that are effectively hubs. WN does bring down prices when they enter captive markets but not nearly as much as NK or F9. They are hardly a low-cost carrier anymore. But they are very likable and easy to do business with and will be very welcome in their new airports.
 
YoungDon
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu May 31, 2001 9:33 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:55 pm

They're taking advantage of perceived weakness by the hub carriers, UA in particular.

Excited to see what they're planning on adding initially out of IAH (even though I prefer to use HOU when possible). I'm thinking BWI, LAX, FLL, MDW, and maybe DEN or PHX to start with?
 
kiowa
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:55 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Let's be honest with the ever increasing pressure from ULCC at ORD the lure of WN at MKE to the north and MDW to the south has come down drastically in the last 5 years alone.
Now ORD gives MDW a much Alt destination during in severe weather at MDW.

Now if UA or AA buckle under pressure from the Pandemic and financial fallout will we see WN abandon MDW in years to come should a lot of gates become available? Or watch MDW only feed DEN,BWI,STL and ATL in the future?
Crazy times.

Flyguy



To be honest, many people in Wisconsin drive to ORD to AVOID having to fly Southwest out of Milwaukee. I loved the direct quality service from Midwest Airlines but Southwest is nowhere near that quality of an airline. I would love to able to fly direct out of MKE but not on Southwest.
 
WN732
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:59 pm

kiowa wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Let's be honest with the ever increasing pressure from ULCC at ORD the lure of WN at MKE to the north and MDW to the south has come down drastically in the last 5 years alone.
Now ORD gives MDW a much Alt destination during in severe weather at MDW.

Now if UA or AA buckle under pressure from the Pandemic and financial fallout will we see WN abandon MDW in years to come should a lot of gates become available? Or watch MDW only feed DEN,BWI,STL and ATL in the future?
Crazy times.

Flyguy



To be honest, many people in Wisconsin drive to ORD to AVOID having to fly Southwest out of Milwaukee. I loved the direct quality service from Midwest Airlines but Southwest is nowhere near that quality of an airline. I would love to able to fly direct out of MKE but not on Southwest.


It's been 12 years. I think the folks in Milwaukee have come to terms with Midwest being gone.
 
airtran737
Posts: 3484
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:47 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Assuming that WN will have to go to T5. Terminal 1-3 are filled up.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3599
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:00 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
x1234 wrote:
Why not DFW, EWR and JFK? Those are the only major airports left that WN isn’t in. I know JetBlue benefits enormously of the international airlines at JFK with people making their own connections (e.g. Norwegian TATL).


I'd really like to see numbers on the self-connecting crowd. I suspect they're pretty small relative to international passenger counts at DFW/EWR/JFK - especially in the era of duplicate bag fees. A.net lore perhaps unsupported by fact.


When I told my wife about this one of the first things she said was well that makes it easier to use ORD as a self connect to INTL. I don’t think it’s a huge number but I think there will be some.


Overall take. I assume like MIA these won’t be big stations. Probably some leisure routes or routes to other “hubs”. I guess they could possibly try some business routes down the road once that comes back, but I would assume most business traffic in these cities will still stick to legacy.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3030
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:02 pm

ILikeTrains wrote:
F*** yea! No more having to drive an extra 30 minutes to fly WN! I really hope this is true.

I’m curious which terminal they would sit in at ORD.



They would have to go to terminal 5, UA owns terminal 1 and 75% of terminal 2, Delta owns the remaining gates in terminal 2, American own 98% of terminal 3, the remaining gates on the "L" concourse are split up amongst the LCCs/ULCC,s and B6 which only leave terminal 5.

Most of the airlines at ORD have long term leases and many of those leases were just resigned either in 2018 or 2019 Unless an airline at ORD has decided to return some gates to the City of Chicago then the only gates where Chicago has free rein at located at Terminal 5.

tphuang wrote:
UA is really not going to like this.


United is going head to head against WN at DEN during a pandemic and DEN is still our most profitable hub. UA's operations at DEN at one point back in April and May were down to 69 daily departures UA and UAX. United has rebuilt DEN from 69 daily departures to 254 daily departures and come November UA at DEN will be north of 300 daily departures. United has bee successful at DEN, with DEN having the highest load factors of any UA hub and DEN is still UA most profitable hub. Our hub at IAH came in second in terms of load factor we don't know where IAH ranks in terms of profitability Kirby did not mention it. But judging from UA's success in rebuilding DEN, UA knows how to go head to head with WN and win.

Also dont forget United still owns gates at MDW that we lease out to WN. United also has a history of going into MDW for a year then leaving for several years, then going back in. I'm not saying UA is going to do that this time around but UA still owns gates at MDW and if (not saying we will) but if we wanted to we could go back into MDW once the lease on those gates are up.
Last edited by jayunited on Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
joeblow10
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:03 pm

airtran737 wrote:
Assuming that WN will have to go to T5. Terminal 1-3 are filled up.


Even T5 can be a mess depending on the time of day. Afternoon especially. I’m also curious where they are going to go, and how many ops they’ll really be able to operate given the constraints. I could see it being a Dulles type operation with only 4-5 ops to limited cities daily
 
LH658
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:04 pm

Wow such a crazy year in aviation, I wonder how UA will respond.
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:05 pm

Trying to capitalize on Kirbys conservative approach - UA may weather the storm, but will lose market share and come out in a weaker position. They’ve already created an enormous amount of animosity amongst the labor ranks that will last for decades that’s not going to be easily repaired. I’m afraid United is making some unforced errors throughout this crisis.
 
flight152
Posts: 3463
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 8:04 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
Trying to capitalize on Kirbys conservative approach - UA may weather the storm, but will lose market share and come out in a weaker position. They’ve already created an enormous amount of animosity amongst the labor ranks that will last for decades that’s not going to be easily repaired. I’m afraid United is making some unforced errors throughout this crisis.


Conservative? Hardly. They’ve added many new international routes and a few new domestic stations in a time when every other airline isn’t.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3030
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:14 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
Trying to capitalize on Kirbys conservative approach - UA may weather the storm, but will lose market share and come out in a weaker position. They’ve already created an enormous amount of animosity amongst the labor ranks that will last for decades that’s not going to be easily repaired. I’m afraid United is making some unforced errors throughout this crisis.



UA's weaker position? Correct me if I'm wrong but UA has already surpassed WN in daily departures out of DEN an airport we already go head to head with WN. UA is operating over 300 daily departures out of ORD, and over 220 daily departures out of IAH, these numbers here are from our September schedule. By the time November comes around DEN will be UA's largest hub a title it held briefly during the months of April, May and June.

To say Kirby is taking a conservative approach and UA will come out of this in a weaker position is simply not true. If WN wants to go head to head with UA at IAH and ORD then bring it on. WN's CEO had a lot to say about DEN back in April, May and June, I find it interesting how the table have turn in DEN. Kelly gave a lot of statement where he thought WN would be able to capitalize on UA's weaker position in DEN during Q2 where at one point UA was only operating 69 daily departures (UA and UAX combined). Now UA has surpassed WN at DEN, DEN has the highest load factors out of all of our hubs and DEN is still UA most profitable hub.

Kirby is not afraid to take on WN and our operational turnaround at DEN during this pandemic proves just that.
Last edited by jayunited on Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
737max8
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:15 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Both ORD and IAH are somewhat constrained - I doubt there are going to be very many ops - even if successful (a la DEN of 2005), it's going to be tough to expand in a big way at either. But it's nice to at least have the alternative to their other airports.

On another note - this is bound to make tensions with employees (FAs, pilots) worse. Not only is the expansion continuing while asking for pay cuts - now crews will likely have to commute across town, in base... certainly wouldn't make me happy. Somebody let me know if the WN contract says otherwise...


Uhh adding service helps their jobs...adds more trips/hours they can work instead of getting furloughed.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388
 
Flflyer83
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:16 pm

737MAX7 wrote:
But hey I’m supposed to take a paycut


WN is literally opening new stations to spread out airplanes and people to TRY furlough fewer employees come January. If you don’t like it, play chicken but don’t bitch when you’re on the losing end.
 
User avatar
BMWdrvr75
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:23 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:20 pm

This is going to get everyone riled up on this page because this is an over the top speculation..... however, just bear with me on this, follow the logic... This is what’s happening let me tell you......
Chicago O’Hare United Airlines hub Houston’s Bush Continental Airlines previous headquarters. However, still large hubs for United. Although when Continental Airlines and United Airlines merged the new United kept their HDQ in Chicago... United has not been able to pull their you know what together and have been quickly retiring their Airbus 320s, 757s and 767s they will only be flying 737s, 777s,and 787’s. Southwest recently announced flying to Miami hey Siri United does not have a large presentation however can be grown to compete with American. Southwest Airlines seems to be putting all the pieces in place to buy United a large 737 international airline with widebody experience to grow Southwest to be the “worlds most flown airline” this new Southwest Airlines will keep headquarters iN Dallas, keep the United name and just fly a fleet of 737 and 787’s... boom Southwest just secured themselves a seat at the table to be one of the big three for the next 50 years.
We Make Flying Easy......Come fly the Silver Bird........Something Special in the Air......
 
tphuang
Posts: 5477
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:23 pm

jayunited wrote:
tphuang wrote:
UA is really not going to like this.


United is going head to head against WN at DEN during a pandemic and DEN is still our most profitable hub. UA's operations at DEN at one point back in April and May were down to 69 daily departures UA and UAX. United has rebuilt DEN from 69 daily departures to 254 daily departures and come November UA at DEN will be north of 300 daily departures. United has bee successful at DEN, with DEN having the highest load factors of any UA hub and DEN is still UA most profitable hub. Our hub at IAH came in second in terms of load factor we don't know where IAH ranks in terms of profitability Kirby did not mention it. But judging from UA's success in rebuilding DEN, UA knows how to go head to head with WN and win.

Also dont forget United still owns gates at MDW that we lease out to WN. United also has a history of going into MDW for a year then leaving for several years, then going back in. I'm not saying UA is going to do that this time around but UA still owns gates at MDW and if (not saying we will) but if we wanted to we could go back into MDW once the lease on those gates are up.


I'm not saying UA is in trouble at ORD. If anything, AA is more likely to bring things back more slowly. Even so, WN moving into ORD would have an adverse affect on UA's performance there. Same with IAH.

I think there might be some businesses more willing to fly on WN now that they also offer service out of the primary airport in Chicago and Houston.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2549
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:24 pm

Maybe they should try and reenter EWR first
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
WN732
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: WN to Launch IAH and ORD service in 2021

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:24 pm

BMWdrvr75 wrote:
This is going to get everyone riled up on this page because this is an over the top speculation..... however, just bear with me on this, follow the logic... This is what’s happening let me tell you......
Chicago O’Hare United Airlines hub Houston’s Bush Continental Airlines previous headquarters. However, still large hubs for United. Although when Continental Airlines and United Airlines merged the new United kept their HDQ in Chicago... United has not been able to pull their you know what together and have been quickly retiring their Airbus 320s, 757s and 767s they will only be flying 737s, 777s,and 787’s. Southwest recently announced flying to Miami hey Siri United does not have a large presentation however can be grown to compete with American. Southwest Airlines seems to be putting all the pieces in place to buy United a large 737 international airline with widebody experience to grow Southwest to be the “worlds most flown airline” this new Southwest Airlines will keep headquarters iN Dallas, keep the United name and just fly a fleet of 737 and 787’s... boom Southwest just secured themselves a seat at the table to be one of the big three for the next 50 years.


Whew, I think this gave me a contact high.

But in all seriousness though, I'd personally love to see something like that happen. But I don't think the Feds would allow that kind of merger to take place, and no one has the cash on hand to pull off such a major transaction. Could you imagine the political ish storm that this would cause?
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos