Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
RWA380
Topic Author
Posts: 5755
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Did PA ever serve LGW via LHR?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:00 am

I was paging through departed flights & looking at the routings from the back of the OAG's & I came across flight 120 routing LAX-SEA-LHR-LGW. Now flight 121 shows FRA-LHR-SEA-LAX.
I am imagining it's likely a typo, I am submitting the link, so I don't get called crazy, well here at least.

I have not heard of airplane service between these airports, I know helicopter service has existed in the past, but has PA or for that fact any carrier that served both LHR & LGW via one or the other London airport?

http://www.departedflights.com/OAG0285itin14.html

If you look at flight 408, it flew MEX-IAH-LGW, so I guess Yes is the answer they served LGW, but as I want to know if via LHR was real or a misprint?
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
LH982
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Did PA serve LGW ever?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:07 am

PA never operated Heathrow - Gatwick. After the S61 services I don't believe there has ever been an air service between the two.

PA did serve Gatwick, after they sold off the Heathrow routes
 
User avatar
RWA380
Topic Author
Posts: 5755
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Did PA serve LGW ever?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:17 am

LH982 wrote:
PA never operated Heathrow - Gatwick. After the S61 services I don't believe there has ever been an air service between the two.

PA did serve Gatwick, after they sold off the Heathrow routes


IAH was into LGW according to the link I provided, I'm sure this was Bermuda II related, maybe it was a temporary bridge of aircraft. Although IIRC IAH was served with the L15 & SEA the 747, I think SEA was flown by the L15 in a couple off seasons, as well as being tagged with both LAX & SFO. The fares were about $59.00 each way to SF & $79 to LAX.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
n729pa
Posts: 1197
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Did PA ever serve LGW via LHR?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 am

SEA was standing alone service peak season then extended to either SFO or LAX in winter using 747s not the the L15 as I recall they were only on LHR-DTW before the A310s came on mass.

I remember doing the LHR-SEA with both the extension although I forget off hand where it was going beyond SEA now (Feb 89) plus also LHR-SEA as a terminating flight (May 87)
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5401
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Did PA ever serve LGW via LHR?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:01 am

n729pa wrote:
SEA was standing alone service peak season then extended to either SFO or LAX in winter using 747s not the the L15 as I recall they were only on LHR-DTW before the A310s came on mass.

I remember doing the LHR-SEA with both the extension although I forget off hand where it was going beyond SEA now (Feb 89) plus also LHR-SEA as a terminating flight (May 87)


The L-1011 was never regularly used on the DTW-LHR route it went from a 747 to an A310. The L-1011 flew DTW-JFK but not DTW-LHR
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Did PA ever serve LGW via LHR?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Pan Am did briefly serve LGW (CLE-DTW-LGW) which was flown post sale of the LHR slots to United, using an A310. Believe Delta acquired the route shortly after and tried it for a time, but eventually just axed it completely, as DTW (and CLE) route authorities to LHR were not part of the sale to United Airlines.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3269
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: Did PA serve LGW ever?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:36 pm

LH982 wrote:
After the S61 services I don't believe there has ever been an air service between the two.



No quite true, there was the airlink helicopter service between 78 and 86.
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5401
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Did PA ever serve LGW via LHR?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:26 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Pan Am did briefly serve LGW (CLE-DTW-LGW) which was flown post sale of the LHR slots to United, using an A310. Believe Delta acquired the route shortly after and tried it for a time, but eventually just axed it completely, as DTW (and CLE) route authorities to LHR were not part of the sale to United Airlines.


The route was never axed it was sold to Northwest. Delta held out and insisted that they get the route authority in the Pan Am bankruptcy. The route was not allowed to be sold to United along with MIIA which also switched over to Gatwick when Delta took it over.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5401
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Did PA ever serve LGW via LHR?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Now, for the same price, Delta also is acquiring Pan Am`s routes between New York and the European continent; its hub operations in Frankfurt, Germany; and its routes to London from Miami and Detroit. Moreover, Delta will assume leases on 45 of Pan Am`s 150 airplanes to service the routes it is buying.


https://www.deseret.com/1991/12/17/1895 ... emporarily
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
departedflights
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Did PA ever serve LGW via LHR?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:50 pm

RWA380 wrote:
I am imagining it's likely a typo, I am submitting the link, so I don't get called crazy, well here at least.


I am thinking it must have been a typo.

I pulled out the actual Pan Am timetable dated February 15, 1985 - the same month as those OAG itineraries.

In Pan Am's February 15, 1985 timetable, it shows flight 120 operating Los Angeles-Heathrow-Frankfurt or Los Angeles-Seattle/Tacoma-Heathrow-Frankfurt depending on the day of the week.
The opinions are expressed are my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my coworkers or my employer.
 
LH982
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Did PA serve LGW ever?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:17 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
LH982 wrote:
After the S61 services I don't believe there has ever been an air service between the two.



No quite true, there was the airlink helicopter service between 78 and 86.


That's the S61 I was talking about
 
n729pa
Posts: 1197
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Did PA ever serve LGW via LHR?

Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:59 am

klm617 wrote:
n729pa wrote:
SEA was standing alone service peak season then extended to either SFO or LAX in winter using 747s not the the L15 as I recall they were only on LHR-DTW before the A310s came on mass.

I remember doing the LHR-SEA with both the extension although I forget off hand where it was going beyond SEA now (Feb 89) plus also LHR-SEA as a terminating flight (May 87)


The L-1011 was never regularly used on the DTW-LHR route it went from a 747 to an A310. The L-1011 flew DTW-JFK but not DTW-LHR


The L15 was used very briefly for one season, granted not long but it was used never the less. I can't remember exactly what year it was now without checking my old PA time tables but living under the flight path, in the shadow of LHR then you would see it go over.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos