Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lowfareair
Topic Author

2nd go-around for AA4345 (Republic) at PHL?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:13 pm

Looking at FR24, it seems that AA4345 IND-PHL did a quick goaround, and now is heading East over Southern NJ at the moment after a 2nd attempt. Anyone know what's up with it? It's raining here in PHL, but it doesn't seem like any sort of weather that would require multiple go-arounds to land.

EDIT: Looks like they switched the runway ops to East-to-West instead of West-to-East as the wind isn't that bad right now. Not sure why that required 2 goarounds for a 175 on fairly long runways, but that it likely the culprit.

tsra

Re: 2nd go-around for AA4345 (Republic) at PHL?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:38 pm

Just spitballing here but it looks like they had to switch from the 9’s to the 27’s due to wind. The aircraft before this flight were all landing 9’s and everyone after this flight landed on 27’s.

Longhornmaniac

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:23 pm

lowfareair wrote:
Looking at FR24, it seems that AA4345 IND-PHL did a quick goaround, and now is heading East over Southern NJ at the moment after a 2nd attempt. Anyone know what's up with it? It's raining here in PHL, but it doesn't seem like any sort of weather that would require multiple go-arounds to land.

EDIT: Looks like they switched the runway ops to East-to-West instead of West-to-East as the wind isn't that bad right now. Not sure why that required 2 goarounds for a 175 on fairly long runways, but that it likely the culprit.

If it's outside our limitations, which at YX is a 10-knot tailwind component, it's not a question of how long the runway is, it's a simple yes or no "are we exceeding a limitation?" If the answer is yes, it's a mandatory go-around.

Any number of things can happen on one approach, right down to human errors. Last week going into CLT we were landing in heavy rain and gusty winds and a wind gust coupled with my easing back on the yoke too early in very poor visibility meant we got high. Go around.

Nothing unusual here; good decision by the crew.
Cheers,
Cameron

Cubsrule

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:26 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:
lowfareair wrote:

If it's outside our limitations, which at YX is a 10-knot tailwind component, it's not a question of how long the runway is, it's a simple yes or no "are we exceeding a limitation?" If the answer is yes, it's a mandatory go-around.

Any number of things can happen on one approach, right down to human errors. Last week going into CLT we were landing in heavy rain and gusty winds and a wind gust coupled with my easing back on the yoke too early in very poor visibility meant we got high. Go around.

I agree completely with your larger point, though FWIW it seems unlikely that winds were the culprit. The last three wind METARs were 340 at 8, 330 at 10, and 340 at 6.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

32andBelow

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:28 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:
lowfareair wrote:

I agree completely with your larger point, though FWIW it seems unlikely that winds were the culprit. The last three wind METARs were 340 at 8, 330 at 10, and 340 at 6.

The Metar is one reporting point on the ground at the airport. The runway end could be 2 miles away. The actual current winds on the runway can vary greatly from the last metar. Especially when the weather is rapidly changing.

Cubsrule

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:31 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:

The Metar is one reporting point on the ground at the airport. The runway end could be 2 miles away. The actual current winds on the runway can vary greatly from the last metar. Especially when the weather is rapidly changing.

I know - but it seems like the weather - while disgusting - wasn't changing especially rapidly.

Longhornmaniac

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:38 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:
lowfareair wrote:

Sure. And I didn't do a deep dive at all into the conditions then, just providing some cockpit context for things.
Cheers,
Cameron

Cubsrule

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:05 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:

Sure. And I didn't do a deep dive at all into the conditions then, just providing some cockpit context for things.

. . . which all of the non-professional pilots around appreciate and probably don't thank you enough for.

Longhornmaniac

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

. . . which all of the non-professional pilots around appreciate and probably don't thank you enough for.

Ha! Don't need the thanks/appreciation, just paying it forward!
Cheers,
Cameron

MSJYOP28Apilot

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:34 pm

Turning the airport around during an arrival push can cause holding and if the winds were stronger than forecast can cause diversions if airlines were not warned about the potential for the airport being turned around. ATC tries to wait for a lighter arrival demand period to turn airports around. If the wind is light enough, ATC will often keep an airport in a tailwind configuration all day if they are not getting any refusals. This allows them to maintain a higher arrival rate depending on the configuration.

It very well could be that this RPA crew was trying to help ATC keep them in favorable landing configuration and thus gave the approach a second try to avoid turning the airport around.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos