Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seatback
Topic Author

Southwest Crew Base in Hawaii?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:07 pm

Southwest continues to run a pretty consistent intra-island schedule out of HNL. Meanwhile their mainland flights are sharply down (OAK only). How does WN staff the intra-island flights? If it's crew from the mainland, that OAK flight must be full of deadheaders.

futuresdpdcop

Re: Southwest Crew Base in Hawaii?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:15 pm

From what I’ve heard on here, it’s a 3 day trip. Mainland to Hawaii on day 1, inter island flights on day 2 and Hawaii to mainland on day 3.

departedflights

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:06 pm

futuresdpdcop wrote:
From what I’ve heard on here, it’s a 3 day trip. Mainland to Hawaii on day 1, inter island flights on day 2 and Hawaii to mainland on day 3.

There are also 4 day trips with the two middle days being intra-island.
The opinions are expressed are my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my coworkers or my employer.

wnflyguy

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:23 pm

kiowa wrote:
I suspect they are rethinking how long they want to loose money going to Hawaii. Their timing was horrible.

Prior to COVID-19 Hawaii was WN quickest return on investment in it's history. Post Covid 19 and now the soon Ungrounding of the MAX WN will be able to free up all the 737-800ETOPS aircraft to increase Hawaii capacity. And 2021 WN will get that MAX8/MAX7 ETOPS certified to fly further to Hawaii. In addition The timing to gain valuable additional gate space at the expense of others in HNL never been better. With leisure travel being the focus I think the December schedule release for April-June 2021 your gonna see them add dots and frequencies to Hawaii especially HNL.
In SoCal WN has a huge void to Hawaii.
LGB and ONT were seen as the two first possible SoCal gateways to Hawaii.
But the Business travel market has been completely tanked so WN now has Ample schedule flexibility at LAX unlike before. It also has it's final gate opening up LAX this will probably Now make it ground Zero for LA-Hawaii in spring 2021.
I'm sure ONT and LGB could come later with a single daily flights but I can see LAX being the main focus point. Nobody thought they would add MIA,ORD or return to IAH 8 months ago so anything possible.
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

wnflyguy

Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:26 pm

As for a Crew Base in Hawaii only the FA could see a Possible satellite base. I believe that pilots have an agreement of No Hawaii bases because of the cost of living impacts to membership.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

lightsaber

Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:29 pm

Discuss the topic, not other users. Ad hominem attacks will result in a ban. This is your warning.
5 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

LAXintl

Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:50 pm

It took SWA 37 years of flying to Los Angeles basin with hundreds of daily flights before they finally opened a crew base at LAX.

Think a Hawaii base is extremely unlikely.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

hiflyeras

Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:53 pm

I can't imagine a base in HNL...cost of living is horrific and with pay cuts looming at WN I doubt there'd be many takers.

KLMatSJC

Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:03 am

hiflyeras wrote:
I can't imagine a base in HNL...cost of living is horrific and with pay cuts looming at WN I doubt there'd be many takers.

But then people will have an excuse to live in Hawaii. I think it would go senior very quickly.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

AWACSooner

Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:46 am

Given how they’ve taken on HA on the inter-island traffic, and had some modest success pre-COVID, I’d actually lean towards betting on a HNL base in the next 5 years.

JohanTally

Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:14 am

hiflyeras wrote:

Is there a situation where pilots could be given a cost of living adjustment? Service members in Hawaii receive higher pay to offset the high cost of living and I know ground workers throughout the US receive different pay depending on station location and cost of living.

Silver1SWA

Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:28 am

JohanTally wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

Is there a situation where pilots could be given a cost of living adjustment? Service members in Hawaii receive higher pay to offset the high cost of living and I know ground workers throughout the US receive different pay depending on station location and cost of living.

There are no cost of living adjustments for WN employees working in Hawaii. Ground employees make the same as any other city.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

COSPN

Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:41 am

Same at UA
If you dislike the costs in your station.. “move”.. same pay for all,

IrishAyes

Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:08 am

It’s not like other major legacy carriers haven’t had bases in Hawaii before. Southwest is no exception to that possibility

zuckie13

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:57 pm

I just don't see this coming anytime soon. Multiple west coast bases can easily support the schedules they do via 3-4 day trips, and leaves a lot more crew flexibility. A crew member on Reserve there would only be able to support limited flights - one in LAX or OAK is a lot closer to support a lot more.

BrianDromey

Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:36 pm

How does the 737 do with the multiple short turns and short flights? The engines cope because they are regularly rotated out of the inter-island shuttles?

32andBelow

Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:36 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
How does the 737 do with the multiple short turns and short flights? The engines cope because they are regularly rotated out of the inter-island shuttles?

How long are the southwest turn time’s? I think the Hawaiian 25 minute turn times has a lot to do with the challenge.

PhilMcCrackin

Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm

BrianDromey wrote:

Southwest's turns aren't near as tight as Hawaiian's are, so it's not an issue.

BettaFish7

Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:00 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Given how they’ve taken on HA on the inter-island traffic, and had some modest success pre-COVID, I’d actually lean towards betting on a HNL base in the next 5 years.

I concur. Combined with the fact that HNL is rennovating as Hawaii may as well become the next major city (an idea that will not sit well with many residents), a WN base is inevitable. The inter-island market has become very difficult, but they can gamble much more money than HA into making inter-island operations profitable, and can more easily pull out if it's just not worth it. I know UAL at least pre-covid sharply expanded their Hawaii operations and criticized HNL for not looking good enough, though i think it looks beautiful the way it is now.

F9Animal

Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:44 am

JohanTally wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

Does WN have their own staff in Hawaii in regards to Customer Service and Ramp agents? I think Alaska outsources all their customer service and ramp?
I Am A Different Animal!!

Silver1SWA

Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:52 am

F9Animal wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

Does WN have their own staff in Hawaii in regards to Customer Service and Ramp agents? I think Alaska outsources all their customer service and ramp?

Yes, WN has their own employees at all stations in Hawaii.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jmc1975

Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:20 am

Would not be surprising to see WN close Hawaii altogether. It was one lowest RASM operation in the network pre-Covid.

Redbellyguppy

Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:24 am

The longest flight is hnl-ito. About 35 minutes. The turn times are all at least 50 minutes if not longer. We routinely downs lire time in the ground then we do flying, out there.

During covid cancelations of flights from San, Smf, sjc... there was lots and lots of deadheading. Dozing for dollars isn’t as bad as it sounds, but I would rather be operating the aircraft.

adv40624

Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:14 am

Southwest is not about to stop flying to Hawaii. Hawaii was one of the top destinations their FF base wanted for many years. Covid-19 and the 737Max problems impacted their Hawaii plans, but they are not about to pull out of Hawaii. Once they start receiving the 737Max planes you will see new routes to Hawaii from the mainland. DEN-HNL is one of the routes that has been mentioned several times.

FriscoHeavy

Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:57 pm

jmc1975 wrote:
Would not be surprising to see WN close Hawaii altogether. It was one lowest RASM operation in the network pre-Covid.

Simply isn’t going to happen, when they have been exceeding expectations.
Whatever

WN732

Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:01 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

There is some sadistic desire to see WN fail at Hawaii on Anet.

kiowa

Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:07 pm

jmc1975 wrote:

Their timing was bad for the launch (virus) and the 737 is a horrible aircraft to ride in for more than a couple of hours.

DiamondFlyer

Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:13 pm

kiowa wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

Their timing was bad for the launch (virus) and the 737 is a horrible aircraft to ride in for more than a couple of hours.

Because Southwest is the only carrier flying a 737 to Hawaii. Totally, give me a break, this place hates WN.
From my cold, dead hands

32andBelow

Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:38 pm

kiowa wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

It’s worked so poorly for Alaska for the last decade.

They were a tad earlier but this winter Hawaii will be great if the reopening happens as planned

Silver1SWA

Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:40 pm

WN732 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

People here also fail to understand that what’s been happening in Hawaii is due to temporary measures out of their control and it’s impacting all airlines so patience is key. Demand for Hawaii is there, it’s pent up and thanks to the pre-travel testing program that started 3 days ago it’s already snapping back. Let’s hope the program is successful and another shutdown can be avoided.

afcjets

Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:10 pm

WN732 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

There is nothing sadistic about wanting them to fail at inter-island flights when HNL based Aloha who succeeded for almost a century failed, as have almost every other Hawaii based airline except Hawaiian. Natives and others don't want them to lose substantial market share to WN or possibly go out of business in no small part to a potential massive foreign invasion by WN.

barney captain

Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:52 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
As for a Crew Base in Hawaii only the FA could see a Possible satellite base. I believe that pilots have an agreement of No Hawaii bases because of the cost of living impacts to membership.

Flyguy

No such restrictions.

HI is already rebounding. The last three days saw an extra section added OAK-HNL, and this last Thursday we ran a total of four. The Port of Oakland doing free rapid testing at two different sites at OAK was a smart move by the Port.
Southeast Of Disorder

kiowa

Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:53 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
kiowa wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

Because Southwest is the only carrier flying a 737 to Hawaii. Totally, give me a break, this place hates WN.

OK, you get a break. Lots of carriers fly 737s to Hawaii. Lots of carriers offer a larger, more comfortable ride to Hawaii also. Southwest does not. They only have 737s. I travel to Hawaii quite a bit but will not do so in a 737 by choice.

FriscoHeavy

Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:06 pm

afcjets wrote:
WN732 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

There is nothing sadistic about wanting them to fail at inter-island flights when HNL based Aloha who succeeded for almost a century failed, as have almost every other Hawaii based airline except Hawaiian. Natives and others don't want them to lose substantial market share to WN or possibly go out of business in no small part to a potential massive foreign invasion by WN.

That’s been shown to not be the case. All evidence points to local Hawaiians being very happy to have WN flying there and most are thrilled with the competition and fly them a lot.
Whatever

FriscoHeavy

Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:09 pm

WN732 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

Yes, they do and I can’t understand why. It’s truly asinine.

Do I love every single thing about Southwest? No. But for the most part, it’s hard to find anything really wrong with them on a material level.

But no one can honestly say they like everything about any one particular airline. They all have pros and cons.
Whatever

FriscoHeavy

Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:12 pm

kiowa wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
kiowa wrote:

OK, you get a break. Lots of carriers fly 737s to Hawaii. Lots of carriers offer a larger, more comfortable ride to Hawaii also. Southwest does not. They only have 737s. I travel to Hawaii quite a bit but will not do so in a 737 by choice.

No worse than any 757 or 320/321 aircraft.

Would I prefer a widebody? Sure, because I love 767s, 777s and 747s, but realistically, those are going the way of the dodo bird, so we now are left with a lot of narrow bodies. No big deal.
Whatever

Cubsrule

Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:27 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
kiowa wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

No worse than any 757 or 320/321 aircraft.

Would I prefer a widebody? Sure, because I love 767s, 777s and 747s, but realistically, those are going the way of the dodo bird, so we now are left with a lot of narrow bodies. No big deal.

To be fair, as generally configured most 757s have more dead/circulation space in the cabin than do most 737s (the 321 is closer to the 757 because of exit configuration). My last trip to Hawaii, we flew a 753 to OGG and a 763 back to the mainland and the experience was similar between those two aircraft but different from a 737.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Bazooka

Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:11 pm

Not a chance! The only people wanting WN to fail in Hawaii probably are employed by Hawaiian Airlines. WN is taking market share from HA, and stepping on HA's toes inter-island has got to hurt! Monopoly no more!

DaCubbyBearBar

Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:41 pm

The topic is Crew Base... not who hates the 737, who hates WN, and not about market share!
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

KLMatSJC

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:08 am

kiowa wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
kiowa wrote:

Better legroom than the rest and better free food in Y than everyone except HA. It's a no-brainer.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

Max Q

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:54 am

COSPN wrote:
Same at UA
If you dislike the costs in your station.. “move”.. same pay for all,

Continental always had a cola for the Gum based pilots, does UA ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

adv40624

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:57 am

As a part-time resident of Kauai, I can tell you having competition on interisland flights is a good thing. I grew up flying Aloha between Honolulu and Lihue. There were no nonstop flights to Lihue from the mainland, so you always transferred in Honolulu. Aloha participated in United's Mileage Plus Program, so the default carrier was always Aloha between the islands. I miss Aloha and the wonderful people that worked there. Hawaiian Airlines has controlled the interisland market since Aloha went out of business. We have had some attempts at other carriers such as go!, Mahalo Airlines and others. Today, you are able to fly nonstop into Lihue from the mainland, so I do not fly interisland as much as I did growing up. I welcome Southwest to Hawaii, and I hope they do well in the market, as competition is a good thing. I have never flown Southwest, but I will have no problem booking them if the need arises.

F9Animal

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
F9Animal wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

Wow!! That is awesome!! Just another reason I love Luv WN. I bet the stations are high seniority.
I Am A Different Animal!!

MrBretz

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:04 pm

I have friends on the Big Island. The love SWA. They fly to/from Oahu for doctor visits. They love the airfares. Prior to SWA, it was not unusual to pay $300 for an inter island round trip. SWA changed that.

strfyr51

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:06 pm

LAXintl wrote:
It took SWA 37 years of flying to Los Angeles basin with hundreds of daily flights before they finally opened a crew base at LAX.

Think a Hawaii base is extremely unlikely.

as long as Hawaii has wonderful Hotels? Then WN may never need a crew Base t a Hotel here. But United actually Owned a Hotel in Honolulu for the flight attendants and every now and then an employee could get a room there ( It wasn't often). So WN might want to look into that there are a lot of properties off of Kuhio which might serve very well though I'm sure they have good arrangements already.

Boof02671

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:27 pm

UA use to have a COLA for all HI based ground employees

TWA772LR

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:38 pm

kiowa wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

I'll admit I was one of the haters before SWA started HA service. Maybe it was I was treated like crap during my employment there, maybe because I legitimately thought they weren't going to do well, but who knows. Besides AS and UA both fly 737s to Hawaii. In fact, I find Southwests 737 to be more comfortable than my own airlines 737s!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:41 pm

F9Animal wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
F9Animal wrote:

Wow!! That is awesome!! Just another reason I love Luv WN. I bet the stations are high seniority.

Not terribly so. Hawaii is still pretty expensive to live and you better have a well-paid spouse or sugar momma/daddy to live there on WN ground ops pay. When I was a CSA, a good chunk of the senior people that put in for a transfer to Hawaii dropped out due to cost of living. So eventually that meant some of the junior agents (Denver is VERY junior for ground ops, also for cost of living) got to go.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Silver1SWA

Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:05 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
F9Animal wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:

Not terribly so. Hawaii is still pretty expensive to live and you better have a well-paid spouse or sugar momma/daddy to live there on WN ground ops pay. When I was a CSA, a good chunk of the senior people that put in for a transfer to Hawaii dropped out due to cost of living. So eventually that meant some of the junior agents (Denver is VERY junior for ground ops, also for cost of living) got to go.

For some of us, coming from California was a parallel move and we were already adjusted to comparable cost of living.

The initial bids for Hawaii were very senior but as the reporting date got closer people backed out which is very common. All Hawaii stations have hired locally since opening.

Laulau

Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:16 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
kiowa wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

I'll admit I was one of the haters before SWA started HA service. Maybe it was I was treated like crap during my employment there, maybe because I legitimately thought they weren't going to do well, but who knows. Besides AS and UA both fly 737s to Hawaii. In fact, I find Southwests 737 to be more comfortable than my own airlines 737s!

A depressed inter-island market with poor loads and a quarantine and the topic is a base???? GIVE ME A BREAK! The inter-island market was a 1 and 1/2 airline market before SW came into the market and after covid-worse????
Im not sure why people on this tread are enormoured with a base in Hawaii with itʻs high costs. Because of the loss of business travel I am not sure the leisure market in Hawaii is gonna save SW.........With the market already saturated out of Bay Area (UA) and LAX (DL) It will be a fight to get any type of market share.
The tourism market in Hawaii is changing. The state is more in favor of LESS TOURIST and a higher end/high dollar tourist. Not sure these type are flying on a 737 out of OAK/LAX when they can choose wide bodied AC for a 5-6 hour flight.
Just a REALISTIC OBSERVATION of the transpac market and what the future holds. Just don't see any bases from ANY AiRLINE opening in Hawaii.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos