Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eraugrad02
Topic Author

Carolinas Airports Thread - 2020

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:01 am

I was in the process of starting another Carolinas thread before reading about the much needed AVL expansion. I live in ILM which is 45mi away from OAJ and 100mi from EWN so I'll be updating the thread on these airports. Please feel free to put in your .02 about info on airports all across the Carolinas.

Cheers,
Des
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited in accordance with forum rules
Desmond MacRae in ILM

eraugrad02
Topic Author

Re: The official Carolinas airports thread

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:58 am

ILM is in the process of a large expansion. Its going into the 3rd and final phase which will expand the gates. I'll attach the virtual video. Last year we had over 1-million passengers go through ILM. This past year, we saw service to ATL from Delta use 737-800 (now all CR9) as well as AA half of the 8 trips to CLT were with 737-800's & A319's with the others were CR9's (7 CR9's & 1 A319. This was all before COVID-19. UAX pulled ORD service but were still getting service to IAD. We also seemed to have lost our 3 LGA trips on AA but they did add a 3rd DFW (all on E75's). PHL is 4 trips on AA E145's. BOS on weekends with 1 AA E170.

ILM currently

When done 2022

Virtual Tour
https://youtu.be/c27hXpL06hE
Desmond MacRae in ILM

eraugrad02
Topic Author

Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:22 am

Updates on Jacksonville (OAJ)

All trips to ATL (4) are with CR9's. AA has 4 trips to CLT (2 CR7 & 2 CR9). Since they added the new terminal, OAJ now has a control tower. Before this, ILM used to control traffic in and out of OAJ.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

eraugrad02
Topic Author

Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:35 am

EWN has had traffic drastically reduced since COVID-19. AA only has 3 trips to CLT but with CR7. This makes since now that i think about it since there are no longer receiving Dash-8's. Delta has suspended service there. The terminal is in desperate need of remodeling. There are no jet bridges out to the aircraft. I figure this airport is next in line to be updated in the state on NC.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

MD8090orDRIVE

Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 am

My work partner and I flew into Jacksonville NC (OAJ) last year to save the ACC $250 each while working some tennis matches at NC and NC state. We were both impressed with how nice a terminal they had there. It was very spacious and clean. I hope to fly there again sometime.

eraugrad02
Topic Author

Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:10 pm

MD8090orDRIVE wrote:
My work partner and I flew into Jacksonville NC (OAJ) last year to save the ACC $250 each while working some tennis matches at NC and NC state. We were both impressed with how nice a terminal they had there. It was very spacious and clean. I hope to fly there again sometime.

Yes, it is very nice. The old terminal was destroyed. It looked like a mobile home. EWN (New Bern) looks like what OAJ was. I hope DL will start Pitt-Greenville service to fill in from AA pull out. Rarely do you see a city with a large University like ECU with no air service. That terminal was remodeled less than 10yrs ago.

Des,
Desmond MacRae in ILM

Airtrambus

Re: Carolinas Airports Thread - 2020

Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:29 pm

It is nice to see a thread about eastern Carolina airports! Thank-you.
Having worked at both EWN and ILM I can agree that ILM needed a make-over. My first thought is they are spending a lot of money to add a couple of jetways. In 2015-2017 AA would use gates 4, 6 & 8 with 2 jetways. Gate 4 was use for ground boarding of Dash 8's now replaced with CRJ's, no jetway needed. Gate 8 had two positions, so the jetway could be moved from one to the other and Gate 6 I believe also had that capability, which was rarely used. DL used gates 5 & 7 with jetways and I believe the gate 1 jetway was reinstalled for UA. With traffic down and an unknown future, I think the expansion could have been scaled back until the future looked better. Nothing wrong with ramp boarding aircraft. I loved walking out to an aircraft. My 2 cents.

Airtrambus

Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Looking at the airport layout when completed in 2022, I sense great optimism in Airbus 319 & 320 and Boeing 737's with a couple E175's. Not a single CRJ or ERJ depicted. Recovery from the Wuhan flu will make all the difference!

ahj2000

Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:49 pm

eraugrad02 wrote:
MD8090orDRIVE wrote:

Yes, it is very nice. The old terminal was destroyed. It looked like a mobile home. EWN (New Bern) looks like what OAJ was. I hope DL will start Pitt-Greenville service to fill in from AA pull out. Rarely do you see a city with a large University like ECU with no air service. That terminal was remodeled less than 10yrs ago.

Des,

My understanding was that AA had added Greenville to its list to drop but the community had assumed they'd return after this weird fall semester at ECU? Hope AA stays through the pandemic's end.

On another note, any idea if JQF/USA is going to ever recieve a new terminal? If Allegiant grows any more it is going to get swamped.
-Andrés Juánez

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:54 pm

Any thoughts on whether DL discontinuing EWN is permanent?

JohanTally

Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:57 pm

eraugrad02 wrote:
MD8090orDRIVE wrote:

Des,

One would assume AA will resume PGV with increased demand and/or additional Cares Act funding

eraugrad02
Topic Author

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:47 pm

Airtrambus wrote:
It is nice to see a thread about eastern Carolina airports! Thank-you.
Having worked at both EWN and ILM I can agree that ILM needed a make-over. My first thought is they are spending a lot of money to add a couple of jetways. In 2015-2017 AA would use gates 4, 6 & 8 with 2 jetways. Gate 4 was use for ground boarding of Dash 8's now replaced with CRJ's, no jetway needed. Gate 8 had two positions, so the jetway could be moved from one to the other and Gate 6 I believe also had that capability, which was rarely used. DL used gates 5 & 7 with jetways and I believe the gate 1 jetway was reinstalled for UA. With traffic down and an unknown future, I think the expansion could have been scaled back until the future looked better. Nothing wrong with ramp boarding aircraft. I loved walking out to an aircraft. My 2 cents.

We still get A319's from CLT. We got 737-800 from both DL & AA over the summer but during these rough times we're still filling up the big RJ's & E-jets. Our DFW service went from 1 CR9 to 3 E-170/-175's a day. When did you work in ILM? I worked there for years. UAX then ASA. The ILM ticket counters are done. It's a HUGE change and size. Ill post a pic below.

https://www.facebook.com/flyilm/videos/583984285840007

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
Any thoughts on whether DL discontinuing EWN is permanent?

That I'm not sure. The loads there were decent but what I think is happening is the reduction of CR2's in the fleet is more of the issue.

Airtrambus wrote:
Looking at the airport layout when completed in 2022, I sense great optimism in Airbus 319 & 320 and Boeing 737's with a couple E175's. Not a single CRJ or ERJ depicted. Recovery from the Wuhan flu will make all the difference!

Again, we still get A319's and an evening A320 but at peak turns. During this past summer ILM got the following equipment: AA A319/320/321 and 737-800's DL brought in a daily A319 and a 737-800. ILM is a bigger city and airport than most think.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

Airtrambus

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:30 pm

I worked at ILM 2015-2017 and we got multiple daily A319's, sometimes an A320 or A321 and lots of CRJ's, ERJ's and E175's. AA used gates 4, 6 & 8 and usually had no problems. IRROPS was a challenge though. DL only needed 1 gate.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos