Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

JSX Announces DAL-HOU

Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:59 pm

Starting November 20, JSX is launching flights between Dallas Love Field and Houston Hobby using the Embraer 145. According to their bookings, they'll operate twice daily except Saturdays with one daily flight.

This directly competes against Southwest's (dominant?) service between the two airports.

Our flights between Dallas Love Field and Houston Hobby are designed with the day trip in mind. With daily service between convenient downtown locations, get there and get back without the hassle of airport crowds.

Kick back and relax on our spacious single-seating aircraft, flying exclusively intra-Texas. Each seat features 30 comfortable seats in a unique 1x1 configuration giving you even more personal space to spread out and relax on the quick hop between cities.

https://www.jsx.com/destinations-texas

JSX will operate out of private terminals at both airports: https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... field.html

Right now, Southwest displays 10 DAL-HOU flights on November 20. In April, Southwest has hourly service from 6 AM to 9 PM on DAL-HOU which is 16 daily flights. Good luck to JSX on entering its first "permanent" Texas route.

ScottB

Re: JSX Announces DAL-HOU

Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:35 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Right now, Southwest displays 10 DAL-HOU flights on November 20. In April, Southwest has hourly service from 6 AM to 9 PM on DAL-HOU which is 16 daily flights. Good luck to JSX on entering its first "permanent" Texas route.

Yeah 2x daily is not going to be competitive even if you get to save a few minutes by not having to deal with TSA. Parking at DAL & HOU is convenient in the terminal garages and the airports themselves are small enough that you can easily get from your car to the gate in 15 minutes if you've got Precheck. The schedule is pretty Dallas-centric, too. If you're flying from Houston, the early flight gets to DAL at 1005 while the late flight back departs at 1500. That's not great for anything more than a couple of hours of meetings around lunch.

Alias1024

Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:59 pm

They've gone into other WN heavy markets and made them work by differentiating their product. Skimming 60-70 passengers away per day that would pay extra for the convenience of flying out of the FBO seems like an easy proposition.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

tphuang

Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:40 pm

ScottB wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Yeah 2x daily is not going to be competitive even if you get to save a few minutes by not having to deal with TSA. Parking at DAL & HOU is convenient in the terminal garages and the airports themselves are small enough that you can easily get from your car to the gate in 15 minutes if you've got Precheck. The schedule is pretty Dallas-centric, too. If you're flying from Houston, the early flight gets to DAL at 1005 while the late flight back departs at 1500. That's not great for anything more than a couple of hours of meetings around lunch.

Well, what is wn running at this very moment? If jsx is starting off at 2x and increasing when demand comes back, it’s not that uncompetitive. Also, they are now based in Dallas, so it would make sense for them to make schedule most convenient for Dallas originating traffic.

This is just first of many routes they will add. I think Austin and San Antonio will come.

Iloveboeing

Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:45 pm

tphuang wrote:
ScottB wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Well, what is wn running at this very moment? If jsx is starting off at 2x and increasing when demand comes back, it’s not that uncompetitive. Also, they are now based in Dallas, so it would make sense for them to make schedule most convenient for Dallas originating traffic.

This is just first of many routes they will add. I think Austin and San Antonio will come.

Well, I don’t know about now, but I remember fifteen years ago when WN was running nearly 30 flights per day between DAL and HOU. Now that the Wright Amendment has been fully repealed, it wouldn’t surprise me if the schedule has been cut by 2/3.

F9Animal

Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:08 pm

Anyone know what is going on with Seattle? They are here one day, and gone the next. They also never sent any notice they were discontinuing service. Really hope they come back.
I Am A Different Animal!!

ScottB

Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 pm

tphuang wrote:
Well, what is wn running at this very moment? If jsx is starting off at 2x and increasing when demand comes back, it’s not that uncompetitive.

WN is running the same number of flights today as they plan on 11/20 -- ten in each direction. Compared to that, the announced 2x is not competitive. In March, WN is hourly -- so even if JSX goes to 4x or 5x/day, it's still not very competitive.

Iloveboeing wrote:
Now that the Wright Amendment has been fully repealed, it wouldn’t surprise me if the schedule has been cut by 2/3.

I would say the larger impacts on DAL-HOU have been the speed limit on much of I-45 going from 55 to 75 along with TSA. Also, WN doesn't have 122-seat aircraft anymore. The schedule is basically about half of what it once was -- it used to be every half hour.

DaCubbyBearBar

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:06 am

2020 strikes again!! I never saw this one coming....not sure with so little frequency how this works out, but I wish them good luck
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:08 am

2x might be ok for now. Once business travellers return(God only knows when) they will need to really up that to have any chance of survival. Might just be a short term route they see demand for their product , it's gonna be Corona nervous people not business travellers right now

tphuang

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:33 am

ScottB wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Well, what is wn running at this very moment? If jsx is starting off at 2x and increasing when demand comes back, it’s not that uncompetitive.

WN is running the same number of flights today as they plan on 11/20 -- ten in each direction. Compared to that, the announced 2x is not competitive. In March, WN is hourly -- so even if JSX goes to 4x or 5x/day, it's still not very competitive.

Iloveboeing wrote:
Now that the Wright Amendment has been fully repealed, it wouldn’t surprise me if the schedule has been cut by 2/3.

I would say the larger impacts on DAL-HOU have been the speed limit on much of I-45 going from 55 to 75 along with TSA. Also, WN doesn't have 122-seat aircraft anymore. The schedule is basically about half of what it once was -- it used to be every half hour.

Keep in mind JSX also started off BUR-OAK at 3x vs whatever WN runs on these routes and they were doing well at 5 to 6x before pandemic hit. Same with BUR-LAS and several other routes they competed against WN. If the 2 times they do fly are at convenient times for Dallas travelers, then they can capture a portion of high fare traffic between the 2 cities. Having hourly flights also mean that you have to sell a lot more tickets and sell them at not so convenient times. This model of smaller schedule (with high day to day variability) targeted for high end traveler has clearly worked enough in other high frequency WN markets that intentionally picked DAL as their new home and DAL-HOU as their first route.

ScottB

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:05 am

tphuang wrote:
Keep in mind JSX also started off BUR-OAK at 3x vs whatever WN runs on these routes and they were doing well at 5 to 6x before pandemic hit. Same with BUR-LAS and several other routes they competed against WN. If the 2 times they do fly are at convenient times for Dallas travelers, then they can capture a portion of high fare traffic between the 2 cities. Having hourly flights also mean that you have to sell a lot more tickets and sell them at not so convenient times. This model of smaller schedule (with high day to day variability) targeted for high end traveler has clearly worked enough in other high frequency WN markets that intentionally picked DAL as their new home and DAL-HOU as their first route.

Well, JSX's parent company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy a month into the pandemic, so I'm not sure that "doing well" is necessarily applicable. We don't know what their financials looked like, but they can't have been great if the company needed protection from its creditors within a month.

Yes, WN has to fill more seats at lower fares, but they have much, much lower unit costs on a 143-seat 737 than a 30-seat E145. They also benefit from being able to offer a comprehensive set of connecting markets at both DAL and HOU. Further, they have a huge loyal customer base in both cities and they offer a relevant frequent flyer plan.

HOU/IAH is the obvious short-haul market to serve from DAL along with DEN.

tphuang

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:48 am

ScottB wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Well, JSX's parent company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy a month into the pandemic, so I'm not sure that "doing well" is necessarily applicable. We don't know what their financials looked like, but they can't have been great if the company needed protection from its creditors within a month.

Yes, WN has to fill more seats at lower fares, but they have much, much lower unit costs on a 143-seat 737 than a 30-seat E145. They also benefit from being able to offer a comprehensive set of connecting markets at both DAL and HOU. Further, they have a huge loyal customer base in both cities and they offer a relevant frequent flyer plan.

There is a huge difference between filling 60 seats vs filling 1430 seats. JSX adding 2 flights here will capture a different crowd than WN and have very little effect on WN's business.

HII

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:50 am

ScottB wrote:
tphuang wrote:

FYI, JetSuite hasn’t been JSX’s parent company for a while, and that change took place quite a bit before the BK filing. JSAir was separated, presumably for an anticipated BK.

wedgetail737

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:26 am

F9Animal wrote:
Anyone know what is going on with Seattle? They are here one day, and gone the next. They also never sent any notice they were discontinuing service. Really hope they come back.

JSX did return to BFI...but to LAS 4X weekly. They have not brought back the OAK-BFI route.

N62NA

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:40 am

The planes are much nicer than what WN flies. Looks like a very nice product.

VenturiEffect

Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:32 am

Looks to me from the pictures that they have further refit the e135/145’s to be 1-by-1, so they’re really only 20 seats. I don’t see how they make the numbers work starting at $99 one way.

reltney

Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:41 am

Not being a smart ass but living in Houston and flying for the airlines for 40 years, I never heard of JSX airlines. I know ground airline employees use airline codes and figure that might be a code, but never heard of it... there should be a list in this site that pops up so we can Interpret what airline you are talking about. Many of you non pilots don’t know it but those travel agency codes are not known by most airline employees as we work only with the airline that hired us. Have no clue who f10 or c6 is much less jsx .

Cheers.... yes naysayers and airline wannabes please correct me....

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

TWA772LR

Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:50 am

Anyone think DAL-DWH/Conroe would be more up JSXs alley?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

ScottB

Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:04 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Anyone think DAL-DWH/Conroe would be more up JSXs alley?

It's an interesting thought, but neither DWH nor CXO would be significantly more convenient from The Woodlands than IAH. DWH is just off the Grand Parkway but it's maybe five or ten minutes closer than IAH. CXO is about the same distance timewise but more of the trip is on surface roads. Plus by the time you get to the north side of Conroe it's maybe 2.5 hours to Dallas by road since you're past most of the Houston traffic. Not much time saved by flying.

HII

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 pm

VenturiEffect wrote:
Looks to me from the pictures that they have further refit the e135/145’s to be 1-by-1, so they’re really only 20 seats. I don’t see how they make the numbers work starting at $99 one way.

All of the 135s are still 1x2 seating, the 145s are going to a 1x1 seating. Both aircraft have 30 seats, the 145s just have slightly less legroom.

HII

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:32 pm

reltney wrote:
Not being a smart ass but living in Houston and flying for the airlines for 40 years, I never heard of JSX airlines. I know ground airline employees use airline codes and figure that might be a code, but never heard of it... there should be a list in this site that pops up so we can Interpret what airline you are talking about. Many of you non pilots don’t know it but those travel agency codes are not known by most airline employees as we work only with the airline that hired us. Have no clue who f10 or c6 is much less jsx .

Cheers

JSX is the name, the code is XE for Delux Public Charter. A simple google search would have done wonders for you here.

VenturiEffect

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:10 pm

HII wrote:
VenturiEffect wrote:

All of the 135s are still 1x2 seating, the 145s are going to a 1x1 seating. Both aircraft have 30 seats, the 145s just have slightly less legroom.

Thanks for the information. I guess that makes sense as to why they did the “hummer console” over the aisle seat on the two side as it’s not a new seating configuration, but an equipment change.

jholio

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:55 pm

reltney wrote:

Cheers

It was nice when a.net would auto populate aviation codes for you before the forum software was changed. Anyways, JSX is the brand name. It's a startup that originated in California but moved to Dallas about 2 years ago. Until now, they have been entirely west coast centric with a single DAL-LAS flight on the weekends.

HII

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:21 pm

VenturiEffect wrote:
HII wrote:
VenturiEffect wrote:

Thanks for the information. I guess that makes sense as to why they did the “hummer console” over the aisle seat on the two side as it’s not a new seating configuration, but an equipment change.

When the first 145s came on, they were in the 2x1 seating as well, but there was a god-awful gap in the back of the aircraft and spacing was just awkward in general. This is such an improvement over that!

seat1a

Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:28 pm

So does JSX just use one jet between DAL-HOU? What does it do the rest of the day when not flying between the two?

zuckie13

Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:10 pm

I'd assume they have long term plans for more flights in Texas, but initially, yeah, it'll probably just be doing those flights. They will probably swap the plane out using the once a week flights to/from LAS. Does JSX pay the pilots by the flying hour, or a daily rate? They'd only have like 4 hours in a day flying on that route.

usdcaguy

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:46 pm

They won’t be capturing the lucrative North Houston business by flying into HOU. So yes, the service is mostly for Dallas-based flyers. Seems to me that, with TSA precheck, hopping on a short WN flight would be easiest since it would give you direct access to the rental car shuttles on arrival, but maybe JSX or the FBO will take people who need cars around to the lots.

HII

Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:44 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
I'd assume they have long term plans for more flights in Texas, but initially, yeah, it'll probably just be doing those flights. They will probably swap the plane out using the once a week flights to/from LAS. Does JSX pay the pilots by the flying hour, or a daily rate? They'd only have like 4 hours in a day flying on that route.

JSX is a day-rate, so one or four flights are the same pay for the crew.

usdcaguy wrote:
They won’t be capturing the lucrative North Houston business by flying into HOU. So yes, the service is mostly for Dallas-based flyers. Seems to me that, with TSA precheck, hopping on a short WN flight would be easiest since it would give you direct access to the rental car shuttles on arrival, but maybe JSX or the FBO will take people who need cars around to the lots.

Historically, they've always had a "partnership" with Go-Rentals at all of their locations, not sure how this will factor in.

DalDC9Bos

Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:07 pm

usdcaguy wrote:

The North Houston Business areas are nothing compared to the Texas Medical Center(World’s Largest Med & Research Campus), The Galleria & Post Oak District, and even parts of Downtown. All of these areas are closer to Hobby. There will def be companies that would be interested in this, but like you said they might prefer just using the priority lanes, flying WN with their hourly service to DAL and its frequent flyer program. I’d also say marketing, specifically if they have a budget to get the word out of the new service could be a problem. Other entrants at Hobby in the past seemed to struggle because nobody knew they were even flying from HOU. ATA, JetBlue, and even AA ptp flights to AUS & LGA, etc.

jholio

Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:55 pm

JSX's inaugural flight from Dallas to Houston and back happened this morning.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JSX224

I was listening to the KDAL tower on LiveATC and it sounds like the flight received a water cannon salute upon their arrival into Dallas.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:01 am

In the pandemic I can see there being enough people who want to avoid the terminals and large planes. They have a shot. Not a route with a ton of risk.

ScottB

Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:43 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
In the pandemic I can see there being enough people who want to avoid the terminals and large planes. They have a shot. Not a route with a ton of risk.

If you really don't feel comfortable with terminals and planes, Dallas-Houston isn't a terrible drive.

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 pm

ScottB wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

If you really don't feel comfortable with terminals and planes, Dallas-Houston isn't a terrible drive.

Honestly, if I lived in Dallas and has business in Houston that required renting a car, I’d probably drive because of the enormous time sap that is car rental at both Houston airports. (Going the other way, DFW is just as bad.) For trips where a cab or Uber makes sense the calculus is different, though for those I’m not sure how much of a time saver JSX is because we are talking about terminals that are not huge where security is typically pretty easy.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

tsra

Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:41 pm

Now that JSX is in Texas I hope they make their way up to Kansas City. Assuming they would use MKC vs MCI, I would love to literally walk across the Buck O'Neil Bridge and jump on a flight - more likely just take an Uber... I bet they would do good in Kansas City as the old Midwest Airlines was a niche airline that the people around this area really loved.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos