Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Steelhead
Topic Author

United States Postal Service network question

Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:04 pm

Hello, I'm looking for information about the United States Postal Service network operated in the 1980/90's. I'm talking about their own network of freighters operated by Ryan International, Evergreen etc. Where was their hub and why was it stopped? I know that USPS is now using mainly UPS for their air shipping needs. Thanks!

COSPN

Re: United States Postal Service network question

Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:05 pm

Indianapolis it’s one of the reasons the FedEx hub was located at IND

Boof02671

Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:40 pm

More mail is moved on passenger airlines than cargo.

MO11

Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:45 pm

The USPS had/has several different air contracts. The one you remember was "A-Net" which moved mostly Express and Priority Mail. It began in June 1987 with the contract awarded to Evergreen using Terre Haute as a hub. Evergreen subcontracted several of the flights. In August 1989 the contract was moved to Air Train, a subsidiary of CNF, which was being acquired by Emery. Emery managed the operation, which moved the hub to the "old" Purolator facility in Indianapolis.

In 1992 Postal Air (a joint venture between American International and Kitty Hawk) won the contract, however the award was voided and the air portion of the contract remained with Emery. In 2000 the Postal Service issued a "no-bid" award to Federal Express to carry Express and Priority Mail, which it continues to do today.

1337Delta764

Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:44 am

Boof02671 wrote:

Specifically, most First Class airmail is moved on passenger airlines, with some going on cargo airlines such as FedEx and UPS. However, most Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express is moved on FedEx since the USPS has a contract with them for that. The contract runs until September 29, 2024. Also, most First Class and Priority in Zones 1-4 is moved via surface mail, although some Priority in Zone 4 is occasionally flown.
Last edited by 1337Delta764 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boof02671

Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:46 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Specifically, most First Class airmail is moved on passenger airlines, with some going on cargo airlines such as FedEx and UPS. However, most Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express is moved on FedEx since the USPS has a contract with them for that. The contract runs until September 29, 2024.

I see plenty of priority cases on passenger airlines and the PO scans it plans side.

1337Delta764

Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:55 am

Specifically, with FedEx's ops, the daytime flights carry most of the Priority Mail, with some FedEx 2-Day and Saver. The overnight FedEx flights carry most of the Priority Mail Express, FedEx Overnight, and some FedEx 2-Day and Saver as well.

FlyingElvii

Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:04 am

COSPN wrote:
Indianapolis it’s one of the reasons the FedEx hub was located at IND

The building FedEx uses was built by CF Air Freight. Built and ready to go, it was too good of a situation for FX to pass on. It was designed so that could nose a 727 INTO the building, drop a ramp, and level load, unload the aircraft. FedEx filled the ports in with concrete when the 72’s started going away. (I interned at CF AF)

He is talking about the Kalitta/Evergreen operation that operated from the other side of the airport. It is still referred to as the “Postal Ramp” today. Before coming to Indy, Roadway, then Evergreen, operated it with 727’s and Kalitta DC-8’s from HUF/Terre Haute, in the building that is now the Indiana State University School of Aviation.

SkyVoice

Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:24 am

It's been several years, but I used to see at least one USPS Boeing 727 whenever I flew through Grand Rapids, Michigan. I saw more than one of those three-holers at GRR a few times. What kind of an operation did the USPS have at GRR?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos