Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LondonXtreme
Topic Author

LHR is no longer Europe's busiest airport

Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:53 am

https://mediacentre.heathrow.com/pressr ... ws-1/12582

UK should completely scrap the 14 days quarantine, and instead by implementing the Covid 19 testing program. LHR might potentially lose its connecting business to FRA, AMS, CDG, etc. Self quarantine in Western countries is useless if government don't impose strict control and lockdown.

Anyway, it is what it is now. In my opinion, UK-US/Canada travel bubble should come anytime soon before it's too late, transatlantic flights is crucial to LHR, especially for BA and VS. The number of daily departure LHR-US flights are far more than any European hubs do. Nowadays, I see US3 are more willing to resume flight between US and Continental Europe. For example, UA has announced service resumption between DEN/IAH-FRA, but not DEN/IAH-FRA. EWR-LHR goes from 6 daily to 1 daily compare to EWR-FRA is always 1 daily without any reduction.

If US3 plan to dump LHR in favour of European connecting hub in future. The economic impact to UK is huge and it won't go back to the Pre Covid 19 level as it was.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title for clarity

Westerwaelder

Re: LHR is no longer Europe's biggest airport.

Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:04 am

LondonXtreme wrote:
https://mediacentre.heathrow.com/pressrelease/details/81/News-1/12582

UK should completely scrap the 14 days quarantine, and instead by implementing the Covid 19 testing program. LHR might potentially lose its connecting business to FRA, AMS, CDG, etc. Self quarantine in Western countries is useless if government don't impose strict control and lockdown.

Anyway, it is what it is now. In my opinion, UK-US/Canada travel bubble should come anytime soon before it's too late, transatlantic flights is crucial to LHR, especially for BA and VS. The number of daily departure LHR-US flights are far more than any European hubs do. Nowadays, I see US3 are more willing to resume flight between US and Continental Europe. For example, UA has announced service resumption between DEN/IAH-FRA, but not DEN/IAH-FRA. EWR-LHR goes from 6 daily to 1 daily compare to EWR-FRA is always 1 daily without any reduction.

If US3 plan to dump LHR in favour of European connecting hub in future. The economic impact to UK is huge and it won't go back to the Pre Covid 19 level as it was.

This is not a surprise given LHR's high reliance on transatlantic travel and the current restrictions.

I don't see any evidence of LHR losing out to smaller direct routes as far as the US3 go. None of them have reduced flying to LHR pre Covid 19. Of course UA prioritises FRA over LHR as it has a connecting partner there.

What the new landscape will look like is highly uncertain and it will take years before we can sum up the full impact.

Measuring sizes is not very meaningful right now. Both FRA and CDG have larger short haul networks which are a lot less impacted right now.

Caymanair

Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:28 am

LondonXtreme wrote:

Traffic has declined relative to other European cities for the moment, but I'm not sure traffic at this time is really a reflection of long term changes. Lockdowns and quarantines continue across Europe with varying degrees of severity and success. Canada, I believe, will continue to enforce restrictions (especially from countries with higher risk like the USA) and Canadian provinces will also maintain some semblance of control (such as the Atlantic bubble).

LHR will lose some connecting business for the moment, but no reason why that won't come back with the gradual reduction in restrictions. The trick is not to be alarmist, and to adjust business steadily to reflect the conditions of the day. London remains a hub of the global economy for the time being and traffic will reflect that and provide the basis for a hub that other European cities can't quite match at the moment.The US3 won't dump LHR. They may adjust service for now, as needed to serve the vastly reduced connecting business, but ultimately LHR continues to offer a better alternative to CDG, AMS, or FRA.

Boeing74741R

Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:22 am

LondonXtreme wrote:

I think right now is far too early to be reading much into traffic levels. It’s worth remembering that LHR has a lot of TATL traffic which would have been affected by the US borders being closed - the same with anywhere that has flights to the US.

I also see no signals of AA/UA/DL pivoting their TATL strategies anytime soon. If anything, they are probably too busy with ensuring they’re still in business like most other airlines in the world at the moment.

Jomar777

Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:30 am

LondonXtreme wrote:

Anything pos-COVID19 is, at best, pure speculation right now given we do not even know when will that be and who will operationally survive. Look at LGW, for example - it is basically deserted. Yet, those slots will go as quick as demand do pick up. LHR is the same. At present, Airlines overall are running a shadow of what they would intend to run and this will change for the future. It is not because UA is gradually resuming services to FRA (will use LH's network there - their Star Alliance Partner) now that it will not go back to LHR later.

factsonly

Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:06 am

LondonXtreme wrote:

Well, I have VERY GOOD news for you !!!

AIRPORTS: LHR was the busiest European Airport on 27 October 2020:

1. - London/Heathrow was the busiest airport with 524 Dep/Arr flights on 27 October (+7% over the last 2 weeks)
2. - Amsterdam (515, -10%),
3. - Paris CDG (504, +4%),
4. - Frankfurt (450, +2%),
5. - İGA Istanbul Airport (441,+12%),
6. - Istanbul/Sabiha (376, -11%),
7. - Oslo (341, -4%),
8. - Munich (321, +3%)
9. - Madrid (312, +8%)

AIRLINES on October 27, 2020:

1. - Turkish Airlines 540 flights a decrease of -3% compared to Tuesday 13 October (-18 flights),
2. - Ryanair (489 flights, -38%, -302flights),
3. - Air France (454 flights, -1%, -6 flights),
4. - Lufthansa (416 flights, +4%, +15 flights),
5. - Wideroe (342 flights,+3%, +9 flights),
6. - KLM (333 flights, -8%, -27 flights)
7. - British Airways (316 flights, +4%, +13 flights).

Source: Eurocontrol COVID 19 impact on European aviation
https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defau ... 102020.pdf

DaCubbyBearBar

Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:48 am

All major hubs all over the world are down in traffic. LHR is going to be fine in the end. Besides, to the general public, they have no idea who is the busiest, .... or ... largest
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

Cointrin330

Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:37 am

The title of this thread should read "busiest" not biggest. Either way, LHR will very likely regain its crown. Traffic is down everywhere. COVID is on the upswing in Europe and in the US, and with French and German lockdowns going into effect, traffic will no doubt fall at CDG, FRA, etc...

JannEejit

Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:38 pm

Producing stats about which airports are biggest or busiest during the pandemic makes about as much sense as drinking bleach, to be honest.

uta999

Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:47 pm

I think both Atlanta and Amsterdam grew to their current size and importance today, because of the vast area of available land set aside, great planning, and future-proofing for expansion.

If London Airport was planned better in 1946, it would have been much further north and west of London, somewhere along the now M40, and not built with a central island surrounded on all sides by runways. Leaving no place to build out.

The chaos that is now London is the result of poor planning. No-one knew that 150m+ would want to fly here back in 1950.
Your computer just got better

Pentaprism

Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:48 pm

factsonly wrote:
LondonXtreme wrote:

Well, I have VERY GOOD news for you !!!

AIRPORTS: LHR was the busiest European Airport on 27 October 2020:

1. - London/Heathrow was the busiest airport with 524 Dep/Arr flights on 27 October (+7% over the last 2 weeks)
2. - Amsterdam (515, -10%),
3. - Paris CDG (504, +4%),
4. - Frankfurt (450, +2%),
5. - İGA Istanbul Airport (441,+12%),
6. - Istanbul/Sabiha (376, -11%),
7. - Oslo (341, -4%),
8. - Munich (321, +3%)
9. - Madrid (312, +8%)

Source: Eurocontrol COVID 19 impact on European aviation
https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defau ... 102020.pdf

These figures suggest that Istanbul, with 827 movements/day, probably has more combined flights than any other City in Europe as I can't imagine secondary Airports in London or Paris would have enough traffic for London or Paris to surpass that number. If you were asked at a Trivia night which European City has the most Commercial Aircraft movements I wonder what % would get it right?

atcsundevil

Re: LHR is no longer Europe's busiest airport

Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:17 pm

Please keep the thread on topic. There have been a large number of off topic comments. This thread is discussing LHR traffic counts, not AMS, COVID restrictions (which should be primarily discussed in the applicable Civil Aviation or Non Aviation threads), or the US. Please stick to discussing the reason this topic exists, or it will be locked.

PatrickZ80

Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:37 pm

uta999 wrote:
I think both Atlanta and Amsterdam grew to their current size and importance today, because of the vast area of available land set aside, great planning, and future-proofing for expansion.

If London Airport was planned better in 1946, it would have been much further north and west of London, somewhere along the now M40, and not built with a central island surrounded on all sides by runways. Leaving no place to build out.

The chaos that is now London is the result of poor planning. No-one knew that 150m+ would want to fly here back in 1950.

Very true.

By the way, London isn't the only city with bad planning. New York is arguably even worse, with all three airports in the middle of the city where there's no room for expansion. Basically New York needs to do what Istanbul did, build a new airport outside the city where there's plenty of room for expansion and close the old ones in the city to make room for city expansion within the city. Fast and reliable transport between the airport and the city can overcome the disadvantage of distant airports.

Before Istanbul did so, Kuala Lumpur did the same. The old Kuala Lumpur airport (Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah) might still be open, but it's scaled down significantly. The new Kuala Lumpur International Airport is some 50 kilometers outside the city. Drawing a circle of 50 kilometers around New York, there's plenty of locations where an airport can be built. Even Newburgh (Stewart Airport) isn't that impossible as long as the transport links to the city are good.

In London it's even easier, with so many secondary airports already existing that could take over the role of Heathrow as primary airport. You could for example expand Gatwick, there's plenty of room around Charlwood to build new some runways and terminals. Once that's completed, close Heathrow and move everything over to the new Gatwick. What once was Heathrow can become a residential area. If Istanbul and Kuala Lumpur can be served by an airport further out, so can London.

fcogafa

Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:39 pm

The only way Heathrow has been the busiest or biggest in Europe for some years has been by international passenger count. Dubai overtook it as worlds busiest by international pax count. Very poor wording by the airport operator in that statement,
Last edited by fcogafa on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dominion301

Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:42 pm

Getting back on topic, I wonder what impact COVID is having on LHR's 3rd runway plans? It's safe to assume that traffic will return eventually (probably 5 years minimum). However, the financial hit this is taking on airports' bottom lines, could we see delays or even outright cancellations of capital-intensive projects like this?

GlobalAirways

Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:39 pm

JannEejit wrote:
Producing stats about which airports are biggest or busiest during the pandemic makes about as much sense as drinking bleach, to be honest.

Just when I was getting thirsty... Best comment on this feed.
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone

JibberJim

Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:55 pm

Pentaprism wrote:
These figures suggest that Istanbul, with 827 movements/day, probably has more combined flights than any other City in Europe as I can't imagine secondary Airports in London or Paris would have enough traffic for London or Paris to surpass that number. If you were asked at a Trivia night which European City has the most Commercial Aircraft movements I wonder what % would get it right?

From the url provided in the top 40 airports, Luton and Stanstead give another 295 flights, which take London to 819, which means 9 flights needed from Gatwick, Southend and City, so I think London probably still the largest airport as all airports are open currently, even the smallest of those manages 9 flights by the looks of things.

Faro

Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:02 pm

uta999 wrote:

It is realised, is it not, that 1946 was 64 years ago?...I wonder who today can plan wisely for 2084 in any domain or endeavour...

Faro
The chalice not my son

Coronado990

Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:34 pm

Faro wrote:
uta999 wrote:

It is realised, is it not, that 1946 was 64 years ago?...I wonder who today can plan wisely for 2084 in any domain or endeavour...

Faro

I believe that would be 74 years ago.
SFO=NoCal LAX=SoCal SAN=LoCal

maverick4002

Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:06 pm

LondonXtreme wrote:

Talk about over reaction.

DobboDobbo

Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:15 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Getting back on topic, I wonder what impact COVID is having on LHR's 3rd runway plans? It's safe to assume that traffic will return eventually (probably 5 years minimum). However, the financial hit this is taking on airports' bottom lines, could we see delays or even outright cancellations of capital-intensive projects like this?

It was doomed before the pandemic and it is doomed now.

DobboDobbo

Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:16 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
LondonXtreme wrote:

Talk about over reaction.

It is this type of overreaction that has led to the absurd level of over-centralisation in the U.K. today.

Revelation

Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

Delayed from 2026 opening (ahem) to 2030 earliest possible opening ( ref: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 08330.html ).
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

MIflyer12

Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:37 pm

LondonXtreme wrote:
If US3 plan to dump LHR in favour of European connecting hub in future.

They don't 'plan to dump.'

UA was already using FRA.

DL was already using CDG and AMS. VS offered few meaningful connections; the JV is about LON O&D.

AA isn't going to dump BA at LHR.

Vicenza

Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:14 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
All major hubs all over the world are down in traffic. LHR is going to be fine in the end. Besides, to the general public, they have no idea who is the busiest, .... or ... largest

The general public have absolutely no reason to 'have any idea', or even care. Such statistics often bandied about on a.net are generally meaningless, except to those who like them more or less for the sake of them. On a personal note, when I fly to anywhere in the world the very last care, or thing, on my mind is what 'ranking' in any aspect either the departure or arrival airport is

Vicenza

Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:20 pm

LondonXtreme wrote:

Anyway, it is what it is now. In my opinion, UK-US/Canada travel bubble should come anytime soon before it's too late, transatlantic flights is crucial to LHR, especially for BA and VS. T

And the United Kingdom (or any country is this situation for that matter) is much more than, and crucial, than LHR.....and especially BA or anyone else.

Dominion301

Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:41 am

Revelation wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Delayed from 2026 opening (ahem) to 2030 earliest possible opening ( ref: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 08330.html ).

In other words never. For the people slated to lose their homes to the runway, I’m sure they aren’t shedding any tears.

chunhimlai

Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:28 pm

Unless LHR start 3rd runway project it will loss this title eventually

hpff

Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:09 pm

Vicenza wrote:
LondonXtreme wrote:

Anyway, it is what it is now. In my opinion, UK-US/Canada travel bubble should come anytime soon before it's too late, transatlantic flights is crucial to LHR, especially for BA and VS. T

And the United Kingdom (or any country is this situation for that matter) is much more than, and crucial, than LHR.....and especially BA or anyone else.

The UK is about to lock down again, so things are going to go backwards again. Announcng no outbound int'l flights for a month.