Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:45 am

Thinking about Rex trying to cover the triangle with just six jets, it seems a bit of a stretch. You'd have to imagine they will sync the B737 schedule against the arrival and departure of their regional flights, which won't leave much room for other flights between those times to try and win over other passengers.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:10 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Thinking about Rex trying to cover the triangle with just six jets, it seems a bit of a stretch. You'd have to imagine they will sync the B737 schedule against the arrival and departure of their regional flights, which won't leave much room for other flights between those times to try and win over other passengers.


At least in Sydney their regional timetable is all over the place, with no clearly defined waves, so I doubt they will run a banked hub structure. With enough frequency on the capital city routes no particular connection would be burdensomely long.

With 6 frames they could operate about 10 flights per day on both routes with a bit of slack, so as a starting point that’s not a bad schedule. They can add frequencies (and aircraft) as things mature.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:19 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
With 6 frames they could operate about 10 flights per day on both routes with a bit of slack, so as a starting point that’s not a bad schedule.


Wouldn't they be doing three routes of SYD-MEL, SYD-BNE and BNE-MEL?
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2758
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:27 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
With 6 frames they could operate about 10 flights per day on both routes with a bit of slack, so as a starting point that’s not a bad schedule.


Wouldn't they be doing three routes of SYD-MEL, SYD-BNE and BNE-MEL?

6 frames is nowhere near enough to offer meaningful frequency over the 3 triangle routes so REX will struggle to attract business travelers. It also means their on-time performance threatens to be dreadful with delays knocking on throughout the day.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
a320fan
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:52 am

It’s still yet to be seen what brand positioning Rex will take on the jet flights. Trying to start out the operation as a high frequency service targeting corporates sounds too ambitious. They’d be better off focusing on a good quality budget connection of the capitals IMO. With TT gone there’s room at the lower end of the market, whilst TT wasn’t exactly profitable for much of its 13 year lifespan id put that more on the constant operational and market position failures for most of TTs tenure.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
LTEN11
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:58 am

tullamarine wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
With 6 frames they could operate about 10 flights per day on both routes with a bit of slack, so as a starting point that’s not a bad schedule.


Wouldn't they be doing three routes of SYD-MEL, SYD-BNE and BNE-MEL?

6 frames is nowhere near enough to offer meaningful frequency over the 3 triangle routes so REX will struggle to attract business travelers. It also means their on-time performance threatens to be dreadful with delays knocking on throughout the day.


Have they said when they're going to start BNE-MEL ? Anyway, they have to start somewhere and anyone expecting this to start without some hiccups is just being unrealistic.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:40 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
With 6 frames they could operate about 10 flights per day on both routes with a bit of slack, so as a starting point that’s not a bad schedule.


Wouldn't they be doing three routes of SYD-MEL, SYD-BNE and BNE-MEL?


To the best of my knowledge they haven’t announced BNE-MEL?

I’m only talking about SYD-MEL and SYD-BNE.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
D7A330
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:45 pm

a320fan wrote:
It’s still yet to be seen what brand positioning Rex will take on the jet flights. Trying to start out the operation as a high frequency service targeting corporates sounds too ambitious. They’d be better off focusing on a good quality budget connection of the capitals IMO. With TT gone there’s room at the lower end of the market, whilst TT wasn’t exactly profitable for much of its 13 year lifespan id put that more on the constant operational and market position failures for most of TTs tenure.


I've heard rumours that they're going to focus on the lower end of the market so I'm curious to see how, and if, it pans out.
 
zkncj
Posts: 4176
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:52 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
Thinking about Rex trying to cover the triangle with just six jets, it seems a bit of a stretch. You'd have to imagine they will sync the B737 schedule against the arrival and departure of their regional flights, which won't leave much room for other flights between those times to try and win over other passengers.


Didn’t they already have an deal, to take on another 6x 738s in 2021 when they need them? There isn’t an shortage of 738s in the market at the moment, and likely would be the same for the most of 2021.

If they take on 6 more 738s taking them to 12. That would leave them with an decent size operation between MEL/SYD/BNE. I wouldn’t expect that traiffic will be back to 100% in 2021.

For comparison NZ has 17x Domestic a320’s, which are mainly dedicated to AKL-WLG/CHC/ZQN.
 
Deano969
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:12 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:58 pm

It's not only REX that QF seem to be trying to knock out of marginal markets
It seems that QQ are in their sights as well
QQ recently launched Maroochy Cairns and Canberra along with Canberra Cairns 1 stop via Maroochy
So QF jumps in yesterday announcing Canberra to Maroochy and Cairns direct

Nobody likes a bully and I hope that QQ fire back with their ERJ-190s on the triangle along with REX and pull a ton of pax away from QF
 
myki
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Deano969 wrote:
It's not only REX that QF seem to be trying to knock out of marginal markets
It seems that QQ are in their sights as well
QQ recently launched Maroochy Cairns and Canberra along with Canberra Cairns 1 stop via Maroochy
So QF jumps in yesterday announcing Canberra to Maroochy and Cairns direct

Nobody likes a bully and I hope that QQ fire back with their ERJ-190s on the triangle along with REX and pull a ton of pax away from QF

People do like competition though, and it is a free market (as long as they dont capacity and price dump) so if QQ can fly the route, then why not others?
Good luck to them all, hope it all works!
 
Qantas16
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:46 am

Qantas737 wrote:
Some great photos there! Is that two Nauru Airlines 737s parked at the bottom of the second image? I would have thought they would have continued to be busy during COVID with freight operations at least?


I believe they have been parked there for a few years. No ON 737's have left the fleet recently, except for VH-ONU that is in the USA for freighter conversion. The sole ON 737F (VH-VLI) has been very busy, operating a lot of domestic freight services for QF and its regular twice weekly BNE-INU service. The passenger aircraft have been a lot less utilised now that they aren't doing the NF work and BNE-INU pax flights have cut back to fortnightly.
 
a320fan
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:32 am

zkncj wrote:
If they take on 6 more 738s taking them to 12. That would leave them with an decent size operation between MEL/SYD/BNE. I wouldn’t expect that traiffic will be back to 100% in 2021.


TT operated for much of its life with around 12 frames and had operating bases in MEL, SYD and BNE, capital connect flights, including trans cons, and decent coverage of leisure destinations. Obviously frequency wasn’t their focus and the operation easily broke down and became unreliable causing their brand to be tarnished from a reputation of delays and cancellations.

I hope Rex takes the case study and learns from that example that spreading the fleet too thin over lots of bases and destinations may not be the best idea and do focus more on schedule integrity than tt ever did except for the brief 18 months post grounding where they were limited in scope by casa, so had the fleet more concentrated over a smaller schedule leading to best in industry otp over the circa 2012 era (roughly).

Having said that I’d expect a 12 frame operation to cover more than the east coast triangle. Rex is already an airline managing 57 frames over 7 bases operating to 60 destinations, with good otp figures, often leading the pack. They fly (mid 2019 figures) nearly as many monthly sectors as JQ, and were about 3 times the size of TT by sectors flown. Whilst I’m sure buzzing Saab’s into nearly dead regional ports will be different to capital city ops in the 73, it’ll be interesting how they can scale up the operation.

I think a lot of us had a bit of an initial laugh at the prospect of Rex jumping into the jets, but logically thinking about it they are an established airline with national coverage. The sub 40 seat market has limited opportunities for fleet growth/renewal so to grow the business a change is needed. With covid shaking up the duopoly, it’s provided that opportunity to sneak in and establish something new.

The biggest risk I see is launching the operation into the covid travel recession, it’s unknown at this time what state borders, and freedom of the population could look like throughout 2021, we all hope for a vaccine that will rapidly get us back to normality or if not, low case numbers that allow for largely business as usual with protections in place. Interesting times.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
TN486T
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:33 am

Deano, do you dislike QF that much? QF or no QF, this country is based on competition plus, and I must agree with myki's comments. If a business can't take the heat in the kitchen, then either stay away, or remove thy self from the heat. AACC is there to ensure all is above board, and if it aint, they shall intervene. cheers mate.
 
atal17
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:45 am

Sorry, can’t see this anywhere but ScoMo’s just announced that direct flights between Tasmania and NZ will start in 2021 under a new arrangement with the AFP and Border Patrol.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/430093 ... t-morrison
 
zkncj
Posts: 4176
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:09 am

atal17 wrote:
Sorry, can’t see this anywhere but ScoMo’s just announced that direct flights between Tasmania and NZ will start in 2021 under a new arrangement with the AFP and Border Patrol.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/430093 ... t-morrison


Did he clear it with Cindy first? Seems that we would need an two way Tasman bubble first...

Who would operate the route? Alliance with on of there E190s? Or maybe even Skytraders with an a319.
 
NZ516
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:39 pm

Cindy is not opening up NZ to Aussies yet unfortunately so wont likely happen.
 
User avatar
a36001
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:30 pm

Deano969 wrote:
It's not only REX that QF seem to be trying to knock out of marginal markets
It seems that QQ are in their sights as well
QQ recently launched Maroochy Cairns and Canberra along with Canberra Cairns 1 stop via Maroochy
So QF jumps in yesterday announcing Canberra to Maroochy and Cairns direct

Nobody likes a bully and I hope that QQ fire back with their ERJ-190s on the triangle along with REX and pull a ton of pax away from QF


It is not about being a bully it is about a business doing business and creating choice for the market, Qantas like many others are wounded and need to and have said publicly they will chase any revenue they can. And why shouldn't they?

If QQ VA and REX have a solid product and operation they will do fine operating along side Qantas. But Qantas is not the bully, they are competitive which as far as I know is legal.
 
Deano969
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:12 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:47 pm

TN486T wrote:
Deano, do you dislike QF that much? QF or no QF, this country is based on competition plus, and I must agree with myki's comments. If a business can't take the heat in the kitchen, then either stay away, or remove thy self from the heat. AACC is there to ensure all is above board, and if it aint, they shall intervene. cheers mate.



No particular dislike of QF
Very thin routes like Sunny Coast to Cairns or Canberra will only ever support 2-4 flights per week
So QQ had a go and obviously have done ok
So QF have now thrown their hat into the ring
The result will NOT be competition on the route with lower fares for us, it will see 1 operator pull out and it will not be the one with the deepest pockets

Not the first time they have done it BTW
REX Sydney to Ballina (morning departure from Ballina)
Linkt Brisbane to Tamworth
Plus many others

For years Sunny Coast locals have been crying out for a direct service to the north which would have been perfect for QLink, but made no attempt to try the route
QF again waited for QQ to have a go and once the route proved viable they will dump seats onto the route to push out QQ
So where will be the competition with this tactic

IMO
On thin routes that will realistically only support 1 carrier (lower than 500 seats per week)
Routes should be regulated and put to tender
Each interested airline should nominate a maximum price per seat and schedule and the preferred carrier be awarded a 3 year contract
This would give certainty and reasonable pricing for locals
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:29 pm

Deano969 wrote:
TN486T wrote:
Deano, do you dislike QF that much? QF or no QF, this country is based on competition plus, and I must agree with myki's comments. If a business can't take the heat in the kitchen, then either stay away, or remove thy self from the heat. AACC is there to ensure all is above board, and if it aint, they shall intervene. cheers mate.



No particular dislike of QF
Very thin routes like Sunny Coast to Cairns or Canberra will only ever support 2-4 flights per week
So QQ had a go and obviously have done ok
So QF have now thrown their hat into the ring
The result will NOT be competition on the route with lower fares for us, it will see 1 operator pull out and it will not be the one with the deepest pockets

Not the first time they have done it BTW
REX Sydney to Ballina (morning departure from Ballina)
Linkt Brisbane to Tamworth
Plus many others

For years Sunny Coast locals have been crying out for a direct service to the north which would have been perfect for QLink, but made no attempt to try the route
QF again waited for QQ to have a go and once the route proved viable they will dump seats onto the route to push out QQ
So where will be the competition with this tactic

IMO
On thin routes that will realistically only support 1 carrier (lower than 500 seats per week)
Routes should be regulated and put to tender
Each interested airline should nominate a maximum price per seat and schedule and the preferred carrier be awarded a 3 year contract
This would give certainty and reasonable pricing for locals


The thing you are overlooking is that right now Qantas aren’t really in a position to run flights at a loss just to keep the competition in check. This isn’t a situation analogous to the capacity wars circa 2013.

Cash flow is the only things airlines are chasing right now. Given how long it will take the business market to recover, places like MCY are the best places to find cash paying customers right now, especially for the coming December-March season as people who would ordinarily travel overseas will holiday in Australia this year.

I wish Alliance the best of luck in their scheduled flights, but they would have known that they face an uphill battle in that market with very limited brand awareness in cities such as Canberra.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:32 am

Deano969 wrote:
It's not only REX that QF seem to be trying to knock out of marginal markets
It seems that QQ are in their sights as well
QQ recently launched Maroochy Cairns and Canberra along with Canberra Cairns 1 stop via Maroochy
So QF jumps in yesterday announcing Canberra to Maroochy and Cairns direct

Nobody likes a bully and I hope that QQ fire back with their ERJ-190s on the triangle along with REX and pull a ton of pax away from QF


QF has a 15.99% stake in QQ on last check.

QF initially bought a 19.8% stake in QQ but that has since been diluted down.
 
Deano969
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:12 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:43 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Deano969 wrote:
TN486T wrote:
Deano, do you dislike QF that much? QF or no QF, this country is based on competition plus, and I must agree with myki's comments. If a business can't take the heat in the kitchen, then either stay away, or remove thy self from the heat. AACC is there to ensure all is above board, and if it aint, they shall intervene. cheers mate.



No particular dislike of QF
Very thin routes like Sunny Coast to Cairns or Canberra will only ever support 2-4 flights per week
So QQ had a go and obviously have done ok
So QF have now thrown their hat into the ring
The result will NOT be competition on the route with lower fares for us, it will see 1 operator pull out and it will not be the one with the deepest pockets

Not the first time they have done it BTW
REX Sydney to Ballina (morning departure from Ballina)
Linkt Brisbane to Tamworth
Plus many others

For years Sunny Coast locals have been crying out for a direct service to the north which would have been perfect for QLink, but made no attempt to try the route
QF again waited for QQ to have a go and once the route proved viable they will dump seats onto the route to push out QQ
So where will be the competition with this tactic

IMO
On thin routes that will realistically only support 1 carrier (lower than 500 seats per week)
Routes should be regulated and put to tender
Each interested airline should nominate a maximum price per seat and schedule and the preferred carrier be awarded a 3 year contract
This would give certainty and reasonable pricing for locals


The thing you are overlooking is that right now Qantas aren’t really in a position to run flights at a loss just to keep the competition in check. This isn’t a situation analogous to the capacity wars circa 2013.

Cash flow is the only things airlines are chasing right now. Given how long it will take the business market to recover, places like MCY are the best places to find cash paying customers right now, especially for the coming December-March season as people who would ordinarily travel overseas will holiday in Australia this year.

I wish Alliance the best of luck in their scheduled flights, but they would have known that they face an uphill battle in that market with very limited brand awareness in cities such as Canberra.



The thing you are overlooking is that right now Qantas aren’t really in a position to run flights at a loss just to keep the competition in check. This isn’t a situation analogous to the capacity wars circa 2013.
My point exactly
QF and QQ can not exist at the same time on this route
So the only other conclusion that can be made is that QF intend to use their might to squeeze QQ out of this route
Its a shot across the bow of QQ REX Linkt and any other potential upstart

With the demise of VA Mk1 QF will be gifted 60-70% of the Australian domestic market
Australia needs competition to keep fares in reasonable to keep our tourist industry viable
However
The number one mandate for any company is to provide a return to shareholders
To achieve this, said company needs growth and profits
Unfortunately, when you already enjoy such a large market share, this mandate can only lead towards a monopoly
Once you have a monopoly, you are then free to increase your return to shareholders by increasing fares to grow revenue
This is not a great outcome for the traveling public

And for those that think that VA Mk2 will be our saviors, think again
Bain will simply want to fatten up the business to sell to the highest bidder

I can see VA and QF heavily competing on the triangle, claiming they are competing with each other, but in reality, eliminating REX
Then strategically working together to eliminate any competition on thinner point to point routes to keep the likes of QQ out of RPT
Once the dust has settled VA Mk2 will be sold and 2 mainline carriers and 1 quasi LCC will have an informal agreement so that all make plenty of money due to a pseudo 2 airline agreement
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2758
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:22 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Deano969 wrote:
It's not only REX that QF seem to be trying to knock out of marginal markets
It seems that QQ are in their sights as well
QQ recently launched Maroochy Cairns and Canberra along with Canberra Cairns 1 stop via Maroochy
So QF jumps in yesterday announcing Canberra to Maroochy and Cairns direct

Nobody likes a bully and I hope that QQ fire back with their ERJ-190s on the triangle along with REX and pull a ton of pax away from QF


QF has a 15.99% stake in QQ on last check.

QF initially bought a 19.8% stake in QQ but that has since been diluted down.

QF originally wanted to fully acquire QQ but this is very unlikely to ever be approved by ACCC due to the effect such a situation would have on competition in both regional and FIFO operations in Australia.

QF are now in a situation where they are unable to exercise any management control or gain board representation. To date the investment has been profitable, but given how the current Covid-induced situation for QF, there may be better uses for its cash than a passive investment.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
Aviator34ID
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:34 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:03 am

Deano969 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Deano969 wrote:


No particular dislike of QF
Very thin routes like Sunny Coast to Cairns or Canberra will only ever support 2-4 flights per week
So QQ had a go and obviously have done ok
So QF have now thrown their hat into the ring
The result will NOT be competition on the route with lower fares for us, it will see 1 operator pull out and it will not be the one with the deepest pockets

Not the first time they have done it BTW
REX Sydney to Ballina (morning departure from Ballina)
Linkt Brisbane to Tamworth
Plus many others

For years Sunny Coast locals have been crying out for a direct service to the north which would have been perfect for QLink, but made no attempt to try the route
QF again waited for QQ to have a go and once the route proved viable they will dump seats onto the route to push out QQ
So where will be the competition with this tactic

IMO
On thin routes that will realistically only support 1 carrier (lower than 500 seats per week)
Routes should be regulated and put to tender
Each interested airline should nominate a maximum price per seat and schedule and the preferred carrier be awarded a 3 year contract
This would give certainty and reasonable pricing for locals


The thing you are overlooking is that right now Qantas aren’t really in a position to run flights at a loss just to keep the competition in check. This isn’t a situation analogous to the capacity wars circa 2013.

Cash flow is the only things airlines are chasing right now. Given how long it will take the business market to recover, places like MCY are the best places to find cash paying customers right now, especially for the coming December-March season as people who would ordinarily travel overseas will holiday in Australia this year.

I wish Alliance the best of luck in their scheduled flights, but they would have known that they face an uphill battle in that market with very limited brand awareness in cities such as Canberra.



The thing you are overlooking is that right now Qantas aren’t really in a position to run flights at a loss just to keep the competition in check. This isn’t a situation analogous to the capacity wars circa 2013.
My point exactly
QF and QQ can not exist at the same time on this route
So the only other conclusion that can be made is that QF intend to use their might to squeeze QQ out of this route
Its a shot across the bow of QQ REX Linkt and any other potential upstart

With the demise of VA Mk1 QF will be gifted 60-70% of the Australian domestic market
Australia needs competition to keep fares in reasonable to keep our tourist industry viable
However
The number one mandate for any company is to provide a return to shareholders
To achieve this, said company needs growth and profits
Unfortunately, when you already enjoy such a large market share, this mandate can only lead towards a monopoly
Once you have a monopoly, you are then free to increase your return to shareholders by increasing fares to grow revenue
This is not a great outcome for the traveling public

And for those that think that VA Mk2 will be our saviors, think again
Bain will simply want to fatten up the business to sell to the highest bidder

I can see VA and QF heavily competing on the triangle, claiming they are competing with each other, but in reality, eliminating REX
Then strategically working together to eliminate any competition on thinner point to point routes to keep the likes of QQ out of RPT
Once the dust has settled VA Mk2 will be sold and 2 mainline carriers and 1 quasi LCC will have an informal agreement so that all make plenty of money due to a pseudo 2 airline agreement


Oh dear, so many conspiracy theories! Relax and smell the roses a bit mate.
 
kriskim
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:01 pm

I was thinking about REX new 737's and I think it's the perfect opportunity to do a brand refresh. IMHO the current branding is very early 2000's.

- The current uniforms look tired, generic and very 'coporate', would love to see a new modern uniform for the FA's
- New livery to fit with 737's, the current livery looks nice on the SAAB's but won't translate well to the 737's
- I love the current rex. font, I hate the 'Regional Express' font, maybe we can drop 'Regional Express' entirely, like what QANTAS did
- Current Rex lounges are quite bare bones, will need a modern refresh
A world built upon connectivity.
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:26 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
With 6 frames they could operate about 10 flights per day on both routes with a bit of slack, so as a starting point that’s not a bad schedule.


Wouldn't they be doing three routes of SYD-MEL, SYD-BNE and BNE-MEL?


To the best of my knowledge they haven’t announced BNE-MEL?

I’m only talking about SYD-MEL and SYD-BNE.


Rex hasn't specified BNE-based routes, it just said it would include flights to Brisbane by Easter.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 2052
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:07 am

kriskim wrote:
I was thinking about REX new 737's and I think it's the perfect opportunity to do a brand refresh. IMHO the current branding is very early 2000's.

- The current uniforms look tired, generic and very 'coporate', would love to see a new modern uniform for the FA's
- New livery to fit with 737's, the current livery looks nice on the SAAB's but won't translate well to the 737's
- I love the current rex. font, I hate the 'Regional Express' font, maybe we can drop 'Regional Express' entirely, like what QANTAS did
- Current Rex lounges are quite bare bones, will need a modern refresh


I dont know, some of that is perhaps warranted. But whatever you do, dont touch that website, it is a historical artefact of the 2000s and probably has heritage status given website useful lives are usually months not years...
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:34 am

qf2220 wrote:
I dont know, some of that is perhaps warranted. But whatever you do, dont touch that website, it is a historical artefact of the 2000s and probably has heritage status given website useful lives are usually months not years...


Yes, if Rex ever decides to go some 'retro' events like Qantas their website is already in 'retro' mode!
 
a320fan
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:07 am

A new website is a must before they start selling capital flights. I can see people being turned off by the fact it looks like a pop up ad from 2004.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3424
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:15 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Wouldn't they be doing three routes of SYD-MEL, SYD-BNE and BNE-MEL?


To the best of my knowledge they haven’t announced BNE-MEL?

I’m only talking about SYD-MEL and SYD-BNE.


Rex hasn't specified BNE-based routes, it just said it would include flights to Brisbane by Easter.


Given Rex have stated previously they will focus their jet operation on SYD routes first, and then either expand further there or start a MEL base down the track, More than likely it will just be SYD-BNE.

The only caveat to that is the apparent expediting of the BNE flights from the initial planned roll out plan, so who knows what they will do. One thing is for sure though, with an initial 6 aircraft, it’s likely best to focus on one base and then look at second bases once the fleet expands.
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:16 pm

Speculation that Bain will eventually offload VARA as they reposition VA mk 2 as a domestic 'value carrier'
IMO, is that another phrase for "New World" LCC?

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/pas ... ons-cloud/
 
Fuling
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:17 pm

a320fan wrote:
A new website is a must before they start selling capital flights. I can see people being turned off by the fact it looks like a pop up ad from 2004.


Very true. Actually Airnorth and REX seemed to have used the same web designer. They look very similar.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2758
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:14 pm

SCFlyer wrote:
Speculation that Bain will eventually offload VARA as they reposition VA mk 2 as a domestic 'value carrier'
IMO, is that another phrase for "New World" LCC?

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/pas ... ons-cloud/

Why do you listen to that website? The author appears to be quoting himself as his source. GT is a joke.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
User avatar
bjwonline
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:10 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:13 pm

I noticed yesterday afternoon a CX 777parked on the closed runway in SYD and this morning it's joined by an A330. Are they storing these birds there for a while? Anyone have any info if more are to join?
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:18 pm

tullamarine wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
Speculation that Bain will eventually offload VARA as they reposition VA mk 2 as a domestic 'value carrier'
IMO, is that another phrase for "New World" LCC?

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/pas ... ons-cloud/

Why do you listen to that website? The author appears to be quoting himself as his source. GT is a joke.


I wasn’t going to bother reading the article as I think GT is a joke at the best of times, but this comment piqued my interest. I agree, he does appear to be using himself as his source.

Journalism at its finest.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1858
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:55 pm

bjwonline wrote:
I noticed yesterday afternoon a CX 777parked on the closed runway in SYD and this morning it's joined by an A330. Are they storing these birds there for a while? Anyone have any info if more are to join?


Interesting. CX already has 37x777 stored at ASP, plus 10 or 12 A333. I haven't heard anything about storage on 07/25 in Sydney, but can see B-KQX has been in SYD since yesterday morning - I thought it was scheduled to head back to HKG via BNE? B-LBJ (A333) arrived in SYD this morning.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
User avatar
EK413
Topic Author
Posts: 5653
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:31 am

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1858
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:53 am

Very curious
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
Foopz
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:04 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Speculation that Bain will eventually offload VARA as they reposition VA mk 2 as a domestic 'value carrier'
IMO, is that another phrase for "New World" LCC?

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/pas ... ons-cloud/


As usual GT can't even get his facts right, while VARA has indeed stored the 2 oldest (Ex-Skywest - YUD/FNP) A320s, the 4 Ex-Tiger A320s (VNB/VNF/VNJ/VNP) are all currently in use (one did recently come back from heavy maintenance though, which I'm guessing he confused for storage, or perhaps he forgot it existed). They're still using those A320's for XCH/CCK and FIFO, while some 73H's are doing FIFO work it's not as many as GT implies.

He would have conjured up this article after the VA/Alliance proposal was announced last week.
 
A350OZ
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:13 am

Kent350787 wrote:
bjwonline wrote:
I noticed yesterday afternoon a CX 777parked on the closed runway in SYD and this morning it's joined by an A330. Are they storing these birds there for a while? Anyone have any info if more are to join?


Interesting. CX already has 37x777 stored at ASP, plus 10 or 12 A333. I haven't heard anything about storage on 07/25 in Sydney, but can see B-KQX has been in SYD since yesterday morning - I thought it was scheduled to head back to HKG via BNE? B-LBJ (A333) arrived in SYD this morning.


Maybe they are staging them in SYD over a few days, to then transfer them to ASP all at once? Would only need one diversion of a regular SYD-HKG service to ASP later that day to pick up the crews of multiple planes going into storage. Just a guess though...
 
kriskim
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:51 am

A350OZ wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
bjwonline wrote:
I noticed yesterday afternoon a CX 777parked on the closed runway in SYD and this morning it's joined by an A330. Are they storing these birds there for a while? Anyone have any info if more are to join?


Interesting. CX already has 37x777 stored at ASP, plus 10 or 12 A333. I haven't heard anything about storage on 07/25 in Sydney, but can see B-KQX has been in SYD since yesterday morning - I thought it was scheduled to head back to HKG via BNE? B-LBJ (A333) arrived in SYD this morning.


Maybe they are staging them in SYD over a few days, to then transfer them to ASP all at once? Would only need one diversion of a regular SYD-HKG service to ASP later that day to pick up the crews of multiple planes going into storage. Just a guess though...


MEL also had one CX 77W parked up and taped up today too.
A world built upon connectivity.
 
cx777fan
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:22 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:33 am

bjwonline wrote:
I noticed yesterday afternoon a CX 777parked on the closed runway in SYD and this morning it's joined by an A330. Are they storing these birds there for a while? Anyone have any info if more are to join?

I've wondered over the past few months that the cross runway has become a parking lot what would happen at SYD if there was a day or two of stiff westerlies blowing that made landing on 16/34 problematic due to cross winds. Would it be feasible to tow the parked a/c to elsewhere on the tarmac in the space of an hour or two and reopen 07/25? Or would flights just have to divert until the winds change? Maybe it's kind of moot now seeing as August-September are typically when steady westerlies blow.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:09 pm

cx777fan wrote:
bjwonline wrote:
I noticed yesterday afternoon a CX 777parked on the closed runway in SYD and this morning it's joined by an A330. Are they storing these birds there for a while? Anyone have any info if more are to join?

I've wondered over the past few months that the cross runway has become a parking lot what would happen at SYD if there was a day or two of stiff westerlies blowing that made landing on 16/34 problematic due to cross winds. Would it be feasible to tow the parked a/c to elsewhere on the tarmac in the space of an hour or two and reopen 07/25? Or would flights just have to divert until the winds change? Maybe it's kind of moot now seeing as August-September are typically when steady westerlies blow.


Even in the worse winds, you could keep most traffic flowing by closing one of the parallels. Not ideal, but in the current situation one would be enough. Rarely are the winds bad enough in Sydney to force diversions if the original runway was unavailable.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1858
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:58 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
cx777fan wrote:
bjwonline wrote:
I noticed yesterday afternoon a CX 777parked on the closed runway in SYD and this morning it's joined by an A330. Are they storing these birds there for a while? Anyone have any info if more are to join?

I've wondered over the past few months that the cross runway has become a parking lot what would happen at SYD if there was a day or two of stiff westerlies blowing that made landing on 16/34 problematic due to cross winds. Would it be feasible to tow the parked a/c to elsewhere on the tarmac in the space of an hour or two and reopen 07/25? Or would flights just have to divert until the winds change? Maybe it's kind of moot now seeing as August-September are typically when steady westerlies blow.


Even in the worse winds, you could keep most traffic flowing by closing one of the parallels. Not ideal, but in the current situation one would be enough. Rarely are the winds bad enough in Sydney to force diversions if the original runway was unavailable.


There were a couple of days with strong westerlies, but operations continued despite some (visually) hairy moments. Good point about single runway ops - which is what SYD mostly is atm.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2758
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:23 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
cx777fan wrote:
I've wondered over the past few months that the cross runway has become a parking lot what would happen at SYD if there was a day or two of stiff westerlies blowing that made landing on 16/34 problematic due to cross winds. Would it be feasible to tow the parked a/c to elsewhere on the tarmac in the space of an hour or two and reopen 07/25? Or would flights just have to divert until the winds change? Maybe it's kind of moot now seeing as August-September are typically when steady westerlies blow.


Even in the worse winds, you could keep most traffic flowing by closing one of the parallels. Not ideal, but in the current situation one would be enough. Rarely are the winds bad enough in Sydney to force diversions if the original runway was unavailable.


There were a couple of days with strong westerlies, but operations continued despite some (visually) hairy moments. Good point about single runway ops - which is what SYD mostly is atm.

SYD is basically operating as a single runway airport at the moment and even that is not particularly busy. The E/W runway is still used for parking whilst the 3rd runway is basically dormant though I note Porsche used it for a drive day for press and VIP customers last week which was pretty unique.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
QF744ER
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:59 am

Moving onto something a little more positive...Network Aviation/QF Link A320 VH-UVO entered service this morning as NWK2640 up to KTA, she’s currently enroute back to PER as NWK2641.

-UVO is the first of 4 ex 3K birds to enter service with NWK, with 9V-JSA/B and H all following, which will also be registered into the -UV* block.

Hearing there’s eventual plans for NWK to operate up to 19 A320’s.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2758
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:16 am

QF744ER wrote:
Moving onto something a little more positive...Network Aviation/QF Link A320 VH-UVO entered service this morning as NWK2640 up to KTA, she’s currently enroute back to PER as NWK2641.

-UVO is the first of 4 ex 3K birds to enter service with NWK, with 9V-JSA/B and H all following, which will also be registered into the -UV* block.

Hearing there’s eventual plans for NWK to operate up to 19 A320’s.

Pre-Covid, I flew on these 3K birds fairly often. Too say they are "tired" is an understatement. Hopefully, they get a bit of love internally whilst getting a repaint.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:19 am

QF744ER wrote:
Moving onto something a little more positive...Network Aviation/QF Link A320 VH-UVO entered service this morning as NWK2640 up to KTA, she’s currently enroute back to PER as NWK2641.

-UVO is the first of 4 ex 3K birds to enter service with NWK, with 9V-JSA/B and H all following, which will also be registered into the -UV* block.

Hearing there’s eventual plans for NWK to operate up to 19 A320’s.


Wow 19 is alot! Will there be a gradual wind down of F100s? My biggest gripe is marketing flights as QF and yet getting JQ comfort
 
kriskim
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:45 am

Tasmania to open borders with Victoria from 23 November:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-11/ ... c_news_web

Interesting to see how many flights open up and what the schedule will look like. South Australia to make announcement on Friday. Pre-covid, MEL was the busiest route for HBA, SYD and ADL so will be great to see these markets open up again.
A world built upon connectivity.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1730
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:12 am

The first Qantas repat service for JNB is enroute with VH-ZND operating as QF63. I've not been able to find details of the JNB-DRW sector. Later today local time, VH-ZNK is scheduled to operate LHR-DRW for what I believe is the final UK repat sector of this round.

Interestingly, VH-ZNC (which arrived in DRW this morning from Delhi) is operating DRW-SYD this afternoon as QF847, arriving at the domestic terminal. Suggests it's carrying domestic pax though unsure 5 hours on the ground in DRW would be sufficient to clean the aircraft?
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos