Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

myki

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:44 am

kriskim wrote:
Pre-covid, MEL was the busiest route for HBA, SYD and ADL so will be great to see these markets open up again.

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe also for PER too.
The busiest out of BNE was SYD, and out of DRW was BNE.

qf789

Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:07 am

REX planning in operating 8 daily flights between SYD and MEL. Is also aiming to have 30-40 jets operating across domestic routes by end of 2022

https://uk.reuters.com/article/rex-expa ... KL1N2HX09V
Forum Moderator

ArtV

Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:58 am

qf789 wrote:
REX planning in operating 8 daily flights between SYD and MEL. Is also aiming to have 30-40 jets operating across domestic routes by end of 2022

Well, that is a lot of domestic capacity together with QF, JQ & VA....something will need to give. I know Bain have deep pockets, although they may be loathed to use them. Does Rex really have the capacity or desire to go toe-to-toe with the incumbents?

tullamarine

Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:02 am

ArtV wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Well, that is a lot of domestic capacity together with QF, JQ & VA....something will need to give. I know Bain have deep pockets, although they may be loathed to use them. Does Rex really have the capacity or desire to go toe-to-toe with the incumbents?

REX will lose millions. They are going from a market segment where they were often a monopoly or subsidised. The open market they are entering will be very different.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

EK413
Topic Author

Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:30 am

Qantas Boeing B787-9 Dreamliner VH-ZND “Emily” was off on another Repatriation Flight today, this time to Johannesburg. This will be the first time a Qantas Dreamliner has visited South Africa, and they have used the same QF63 Flight Number from the B747 days. Originally planned to go to 56°S, their actual track has been somewhat north of that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHcRIKyBTnW ... 6j5101h5ff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

VHVOZ

Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:30 am

Bankstown-based Pionair Australia will shortly take delivery of an Embraer ERJ-190LR (MSN 19000435) with the registration VH-SEF. The aircraft has previously flown for Niki, Air Berlin & Helvetic Airways. Per Pionair's website the aircraft will be based in Brisbane for charter passenger and freight services from January 2021. Exciting to see yet another E190 operator in Australia and a rather nice livery!

Source - Aviatior.aero
Source - Pionair Australia - Our Fleet

qf789

Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:53 am

EK413 wrote:

Qantas Boeing B787-9 Dreamliner VH-ZND “Emily” was off on another Repatriation Flight today, this time to Johannesburg. This will be the first time a Qantas Dreamliner has visited South Africa, and they have used the same QF63 Flight Number from the B747 days. Originally planned to go to 56°S, their actual track has been somewhat north of that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHcRIKyBTnW ... 6j5101h5ff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correction, ZND operated a repatriation flight MEL-JNB on 28 April, so not the first time a QF 787-9 has visited South Africa
Forum Moderator

IndianicWorld

Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:58 am

ArtV wrote:
qf789 wrote:

The amount of capacity is certainly bordering on insanity, especially as the economy will have significant weakness for some time to come.

With the Qantas group having both ends of the market well covered, VA trying to battle their way back from extinction and now Rex joining the jet setting line up, it will be very interesting to watch things play out over the next couple of years.

My prediction.. Yes it’s a big call but I tend to see VA and Rex eventually merging, giving them a strong network on the jet routes, and a return for VA to the regional network through Rex. I just can’t see enough room for 4 carriers of significant scale, especially given the strong position that QF and JQ have.

ClassicLover

Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:21 am

qf789 wrote:

They would be silly to operate any less than that, as Australians are used to a lot of choice on this route from a frequency perspective.

If you're going to be a contender, operating twice daily or something like that would have the punters going to other airline sites immediately on seeing such a low frequency.

I think Rex have every chance of making this a success. The issue is going to be the frequent flyers. People just will not move from their Qantas and Virgin frequent flyer programmes to try something else. "If I can't earn points / can't use the lounge due to my status / don't get perks, why bother?". People will usually stick to their usual airline even if it costs a premium.

Marketing, pricing and market positioning will be crucial to Rex's success here.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

FromCDGtoSYD

Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:48 am

People give a lot of flak to Rex and their new strategy and I for one thought this was completely stupid of them. But we have to realise Rex's business model has basically been charging astronomical fares by maintaining a monopoly on subsidised routes. Not really the most sustainable thing.

Small turboprobs aren't exactly being pumped out of factories these days and their fleet isn't getting any younger, eventually they'll have to upgauge and the larger they get the more vulnerable they will be to competition. It was do or die for Rex and they saw an opportunity, Virgin was on its knees, QF is struggling, slots are available.

Covid might not be the best things that happened for the industry but it created an opening for Rex to wedge itself in, the window was small hence why they accelerated their timeline (the delay between start of service and debut of their FFP is telling). Time will tell whether they will succeed or not, at least they will have tried.

ClassicLover

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:25 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
Covid might not be the best things that happened for the industry but it created an opening for Rex to wedge itself in, the window was small hence why they accelerated their timeline (the delay between start of service and debut of their FFP is telling). Time will tell whether they will succeed or not, at least they will have tried.

Slots are crucial, especially at SYD. I analysed the slots for my aviation masters and there were none available at SYD in the peak morning period at all. Rex had to do this now or they would never really be able to do it. Also, the leasing deals will have made this potentially very profitable, since lessors needed to place the aircraft. They have also chose the correct equipment.

So far, I can see no fault whatsoever with what Rex are doing. They are making a play at the right time in so many respects.

ArtV

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:52 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

Slots are crucial, especially at SYD. I analysed the slots for my aviation masters and there were none available at SYD in the peak morning period at all. Rex had to do this now or they would never really be able to do it. Also, the leasing deals will have made this potentially very profitable, since lessors needed to place the aircraft. They have also chose the correct equipment.

So far, I can see no fault whatsoever with what Rex are doing. They are making a play at the right time in so many respects.

I agree that this is the best time for a new entrant (lowest barriers to entry, that at any other time would be close to insurmountable), BUT....long term sustainability is the question. The domestic aviation market is just not big enough for 4 carriers (treating JQ & QF as separate carriers), and even questionable for 3....so someone will need to give. Not saying it will necessarily be Rex that breaks, but there will be casualties as the market tries to recover and the 4 carriers chase market share with capacity greater than demand on core routes.

ClassicLover

Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:06 pm

ArtV wrote:
I agree that this is the best time for a new entrant (lowest barriers to entry, that at any other time would be close to insurmountable), BUT....long term sustainability is the question. The domestic aviation market is just not big enough for 4 carriers (treating JQ & QF as separate carriers), and even questionable for 3....so someone will need to give. Not saying it will necessarily be Rex that breaks, but there will be casualties as the market tries to recover and the 4 carriers chase market share with capacity greater than demand on core routes.

Personally, I have always disagreed completely with the "domestic market isn't big enough..." argument. I think the market is definitely big enough, which is indicated by the constant profitability of the Qantas domestic unit. The issue is that Qantas has unbelievable brand and marketing power, plus the majority of the market and virtually all of the corporate segment. All of the emotive marketing over the years means Australians are wedded to Qantas as a brand, making it exceptionally difficult for anyone to break in.

Taking Qantas on at its game is doomed to failure. Any new airline needs to carve their own niche and then be happy with normal profits. They then need to stick with the course and continue to be happy with those profits. The issue with the competitors that fell by the wayside is that they decided to go head to head with Qantas. Virgin, after all, was doing perfectly fine until it decided to transform into Qantas.

Rex will do just fine as long as they stay in their lane, so to speak. I completely believe there is room for another competitor, especially on the lucrative SYD-MEL-BNE triangle. They're not some of the most profitable routes in the world for nothing, and a new entrant should be able to cream some of this off for themselves.

Chipmunk1973

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:21 am

Looks like Rexy is trying to be a bit sexy...

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... nationwide

I was always under the impression that they were going to use a “Euro-Business” product. I.E. The 3x3 economy seating with a slightly bigger seat pitch and the centre seat blocked off with a temporary tray table. This would have meant they could fly an all economy configuration when there was no demand for business and the seats would have been sold as an “Economy +” due to the increased pitch.

Using the VA configuration probably saves on money and delivers a proper domestic grade J seat. If memory serves, I think VA only had 8 x J seats in the front? I wonder what else is included to make it a competitive product.

Personally I’m still not convinced that we’ll be seeing them with 30-40 737s. But good luck to them if they do. Given the amount of people losing jobs in the sector, hopefully it’s another opportunity to keep working in it.
Cheers,
C1973

B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
AN, EK, MI, QF, SB.

smi0006

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:23 am

ClassicLover wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

My understanding is there aren’t actually any slots available. QF/JQ and VA still hold their historical rights from the precovid season. And VA still hold the TT AOC which gives them the TT slots also. I know SYD is battling the change this to allow ZL into the market, but be interesting how far they get.

Obzerva

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:01 am

Out of interest, can anyone recall how many flights a day VQ were running a day between MEL and SYD during their "peak" on that route around 2001?

My concern for ZL is that VQ couldn't fill the plane at a decent yield and they had around 70 less seats to try and fill per flight.

zkncj

Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:10 am

Obzerva wrote:
Out of interest, can anyone recall how many flights a day VQ were running a day between MEL and SYD during their "peak" on that route around 2001?

My concern for ZL is that VQ couldn't fill the plane at a decent yield and they had around 70 less seats to try and fill per flight.

Back then you also had AN/QF running 767s on MEL-SYD, the market has changed allot in 20 years.

tullamarine

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:34 am

zkncj wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Back then you also had AN/QF running 767s on MEL-SYD, the market has changed allot in 20 years.

Not really, QF has the option to put A332s and A333s onto MEL-SYD and did. If it sees demand, it will do it again. ZL will struggle to get yield and QF/VA can flex supply to drive ZL's yield down. It may have made more sense for it to compete as a ULCC.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

SCFlyer

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:36 am

zkncj wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Both QF and AN had 762s and 763s on the triangle back in the day.

AN was acquiring a few more 763s during that period (and some ex-AC 763s that were freshly painted in AN livery unfortunately arrived too late into MEL after AN went into Voluntary Administration).

One of the ex-AN 763s ended up being picked up by QF and kept the AN rego. (VH-BZI)

RyanairGuru

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:47 am

[twoid][/twoid]
Chipmunk1973 wrote:

I was always under the impression that they were going to use a “Euro-Business” product. I.E. The 3x3 economy seating with a slightly bigger seat pitch and the centre seat blocked off with a temporary tray table. This would have meant they could fly an all economy configuration when there was no demand for business and the seats would have been sold as an “Economy +” due to the increased pitch.

Using the VA configuration probably saves on money and delivers a proper domestic grade J seat. If memory serves, I think VA only had 8 x J seats in the front? I wonder what else is included to make it a competitive product.

Personally I’m still not convinced that we’ll be seeing them with 30-40 737s. But good luck to them if they do. Given the amount of people losing jobs in the sector, hopefully it’s another opportunity to keep working in it.

It really sounds like they are trying to be VA 2.0

I still don’t see how they can make this work, but I’m increasingly keen to see them try. We still don’t have a clear idea about the future direction of VA, so maybe there is a (very) small gap in the market that they can squeeze into if VA does become closer to a pure LCC. Then again, I’m not sure the market that VA was trying to corner was ever really there in the first place.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

SCFlyer

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:54 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:

A suggestion is that VA and/or ZL could adopt Spirit's "Big Front Seat" concept for the 8 J seats in front. The differentator largely being a larger seat with bigger legroom. WestJet's Premium Class added complimentary snacks/drinks in domestic J + bags, which REX and/or VA mk 2 could do.

eamondzhang

Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:11 am

IMO if Rex can keep a very close eye on their costs well they should be fine - there'll always be traffic on SYD-MEL/BNE as long as borders are open

Remember a big factor in VA1's failure was their quickly ballooning cost which they can never press that back to the optimal level

Michael

CraigAnderson

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:11 am

I was surprised that Rex didn't try to buy one Virgin B737, rip out a bunch of its economy seats and install them into the business class cabin of its leased B737s, get rid of the purple divider and reduce the spacing on the first few 'Economy X' rows to create an all-Y layout but with the same Euro-Business as BA etc and also Air New Zealand's 'Works' package where the middle seat is left empty, because if you get rid of the hard divider between J and Y cabins you have more flexibility in choosing how much Y or 'J' you can sell on any given flight.

CraigAnderson

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:05 am

Executive Traveller on Twitter says "Melbourne's Herald-Sun reporting on imminent launch of the Virgin Australia 2.0 advertising campaign."

https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/1326775920825430017

This is an extract from the H-S article: "Annie Jones, a 12 year-old from Glenroy who made it onto this year's hit reality show America's Got Talent, was chosen to feature in the 'You Can't Keep A Good Thing Down’ ads starting Friday. She is playfully wafting through the terminal to the INXS classic 'What You Need’."

Wow, that sounds very mid-market or even down-market!

IndianicWorld

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:29 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Executive Traveller on Twitter says "Melbourne's Herald-Sun reporting on imminent launch of the Virgin Australia 2.0 advertising campaign."

https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/1326775920825430017

This is an extract from the H-S article: "Annie Jones, a 12 year-old from Glenroy who made it onto this year's hit reality show America's Got Talent, was chosen to feature in the 'You Can't Keep A Good Thing Down’ ads starting Friday. She is playfully wafting through the terminal to the INXS classic 'What You Need’."

Wow, that sounds very mid-market or even down-market!

Very hard to work out how that is designed for any particular segment based on a description. It will all depend on the execution.

I think it’s fairly clear by now though that VA will only be pushing mainly for a middle of the market position, leaving QF to play in the space above. They have the data of what was working and what wasn’t with VA Mark 1, so trying to find a stronger position, along with a reduced cost base, gives it a foundation.

There will be some that are upset by VA’s changes I am sure, but it has to try and find a market position that works for it, especially with JQ and Rex around time compete with.

SCFlyer

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:38 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
I was surprised that Rex didn't try to buy one Virgin B737, rip out a bunch of its economy seats and install them into the business class cabin of its leased B737s, get rid of the purple divider and reduce the spacing on the first few 'Economy X' rows to create an all-Y layout but with the same Euro-Business as BA etc and also Air New Zealand's 'Works' package where the middle seat is left empty, because if you get rid of the hard divider between J and Y cabins you have more flexibility in choosing how much Y or 'J' you can sell on any given flight.

Wouldn't be able to work even if REX actually wanted to acquire a 737 outright.

Aside from half the VA 737 fleet being leased, the owned 737 fleet is encumbered through SQ/EY/et al applying multiple loans against them with the banks.

Effectively stopping Bain from 'asset stripping' since SQ/EY/et al has beaten them to 'asset stripping' the owned fleet (737s, 777s) or having REX deal with the banks had they were been actually interested in any of the VA "owned' 737 fleet.
Last edited by SCFlyer on Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

SYDSpotter

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:38 am

So VA 2.0 have dropped ~30 aircraft from the pre-COVID fleet and now Rex is aiming to have 30-40 aircraft by the end of 2022? Pretty optimistic is putting it mildly....

Is domestic traffic going to recover to pre-COVID levels? If not, the only way for Rex to get to 30-40 aircraft is if QF/JQ give up market share. As the international market isn't going to recover until much later than domestic, QF/JQ will be focusing on their domestic ops and I think we can safely say QF/JQ will not be giving up market share.

Bain have pumped $3.5bn into VA, they sure aren't going to have their already reduced fleet being underutilised, so QF/JQ and VA competing hard on domestic routes, where is the market for Rex to have 30-40 jet aircraft plying domestic routes?

This is going to come down to who has the deepest pockets, and Rex is last on that list. QF/JQ and VA have so much already invested in their fleet and ops that they won't just let Rex come in a take a slice of the pie, let alone a portion of the market which can support 30-40 jets.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

CraigAnderson

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:56 am

SCFlyer wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Aside from half the VA 737 fleet being leased, the owned 737 fleet is encumbered through SQ/EY/et al applying multiple loans against them with the banks.

Effectively stopping Bain from 'asset stripping' since SQ/EY/et al has beaten them to 'asset stripping' the owned fleet (737s, 777s) or having REX deal with the banks had they were been actually interested in any of the VA "owned' 737 fleet.

I also meant to say that a bought B737 could be used for parts as needed, but I suppose you're right, just very expensive and if Rex wanted all-Y it could have picked up the 10 ex-Tiger B737s.

qf789

Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:02 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

I also meant to say that a bought B737 could be used for parts as needed, but I suppose you're right, just very expensive and if Rex wanted all-Y it could have picked up the 10 ex-Tiger B737s.

TT only had 6 737’s not 10
Forum Moderator

Dan23

Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:35 am

Qantas 787-9 VH-ZNN flew a B1 on the 11th PAE-MWH-PAE and then positioned PAE-VCV today (12th) both as BOE282. All three of the remaining QF 787's are now stored at Victorville.

qf789

Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:34 am

Dan23 wrote:
Qantas 787-9 VH-ZNN flew a B1 on the 11th PAE-MWH-PAE and then positioned PAE-VCV today (12th) both as BOE282. All three of the remaining QF 787's are now stored at Victorville.

Unlike ZNL and ZNM, ZNN entered storage without being in full QF livery, was this aircraft due for a special paint job

https://twitter.com/jenschuld/status/13 ... 00321?s=21
Forum Moderator

qf789

Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:40 am

Virgin 738 VH-BZG is destined for REX and will be the fifth 737 it receives. I suspect 2 other 737’s REX will receive are VH-VUI and VUJ

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... tt-godfrey
Forum Moderator

tullamarine

Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:56 am

VA has now released its new ad online. I assume it will start appearing on TV over the weekend.

It looks like it was largely filmed in SYD T2 though some of it may also be T1?? SYD gurus may be able to determine if this is correct.. There is some white-tailing of some JQ A320s in the background at one point.

Looks like the point of campaign is to inform consumers that VA is back with a "Welcome Back" being the only real spoken words in the whole ad. The timing of the campaign makes sense with borders coming down in a meaningful way over the next week as well as VA coming out of administration and new management formally going into place next Tuesday.
https://specials.virginaustralia.com/good-thing?icmpid=va|c_mar|gl_hp|l1|hepburn|nov20

anstar

Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:00 am

smi0006 wrote:

My understanding is there aren’t actually any slots available. QF/JQ and VA still hold their historical rights from the precovid season. And VA still hold the TT AOC which gives them the TT slots also. I know SYD is battling the change this to allow ZL into the market, but be interesting how far they get.

Given VA are going to be significantly smaller - they can't hold onto the slots forever.

SCFlyer

Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:02 am

My guess is that VA would be requested to hand over/release the TT slots back into the pool if they ain't going to use them.

RyanairGuru

Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:43 am

tullamarine wrote:
VA has now released its new ad online. I assume it will start appearing on TV over the weekend.

It looks like it was largely filmed in SYD T2 though some of it may also be T1?? SYD gurus may be able to determine if this is correct.. There is some white-tailing of some JQ A320s in the background at one point.

Looks like the point of campaign is to inform consumers that VA is back with a "Welcome Back" being the only real spoken words in the whole ad. The timing of the campaign makes sense with borders coming down in a meaningful way over the next week as well as VA coming out of administration and new management formally going into place next Tuesday.
https://specials.virginaustralia.com/good-thing?icmpid=va|c_mar|gl_hp|l1|hepburn|nov20

You’re right, definitely filmed in both T1 and T2 at SYD.

To be blunt, I’m really not sure what this commercial is supposed to communicate. I get the ‘welcome back’ message, and the timing makes sense in that regard, but I honestly cannot pick who it is intended to resonate with.

EDIT: The intended market is clearly the leisure, LCC crowd. And after sitting on it for five minutes, I think it is very strategic and well executed. That’s the sort of ad Virgin Blue would put out, not Borghetti’s Virgin. It’s putting the ‘fun’ back in the Virgin brand.
Last edited by RyanairGuru on Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

tullamarine

Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:45 am

The SYD Slot Administration Manual requires operators to return slots they do not intend using every 6 months. The next slot return deadline is 15/1. At the same time, new applicants have to apply for slots by the same date and must prove eligibility for these slots.

ZL would need to prove it is eligible; its existing regional slot allocation does not automatically make it eligible for mainline slots. Regional slots are not able to be converted to mainline slots. The main eligibility ZL would need by this date is a jet AOC.

VCVSpotter

Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:46 am

qf789 wrote:
Dan23 wrote:

Unlike ZNL and ZNM, ZNN entered storage without being in full QF livery, was this aircraft due for a special paint job

Given that a Qatar 789 flew to VCV unpainted, it seems like Boeing doesn’t want to paint an aircraft that will just sit in the desert fading away for a year or more. It makes sense financially too since they wouldn’t have to repaint it for the customer on final delivery.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell KLM 747-400M

smartplane

Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:55 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Dan23 wrote:

Given that a Qatar 789 flew to VCV unpainted, it seems like Boeing doesn’t want to paint an aircraft that will just sit in the desert fading away for a year or more. It makes sense financially too since they wouldn’t have to repaint it for the customer on final delivery.

Financiers and lessors prefer white if there is absolutely any risk the aircraft may not return to an operator. Ditto for pods. And a white exterior means a cooler interior.

QF744ER

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:03 am

qf789 wrote:
Virgin 738 VH-BZG is destined for REX and will be the fifth 737 it receives. I suspect 2 other 737’s REX will receive are VH-VUI and VUJ

Clearly if these 2 frames are REX bound they’ll be re-registered as they’ve been registered N341CG and N343CG respectively in the short-term.

qf789 you’re more of a VA expert than me, but I think -BZG has the later BSI interior too.

tullamarine

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:13 am

QF744ER wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Clearly if these 2 frames are REX bound they’ll be re-registered as they’ve been registered N341CG and N343CG respectively in the short-term.

qf789 you’re more of a VA expert than me, but I think -BZG has the later BSI interior too.

I thought it still had the older style interior but could be either as it was delivered in May 2011. In May 2011, VA was receiving both the last of its leased VU* series aircraft (old style) and its first BSI aircraft (YFC).

It would be strange for ZL to receive aircraft with both interiors given they will need a greater variety of spares across what is a small fleet.

zkncj

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:28 am

SCFlyer wrote:
My guess is that VA would be requested to hand over/release the TT slots back into the pool if they ain't going to use them.

By the time that VA/QF need all of there current slots, WSZ should be ready which would free up some SYD slots.

Do slots for SYD have an cost attached to them? More once they are adwarded they are free as long as you use them.

qf789

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:38 am

QF744ER wrote:
qf789 wrote:

BZG has the old interior, no BSI interior
Forum Moderator

QF744ER

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:49 am

Yep apologies tullamarine and qf789, just watched a short YouTube clip and you’re both correct, older interior.

a320fan

Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:49 am

Seems Rex have been flying some proving flights today in VH-VUF
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vh-vuf

Presume they have crewed the 73 fleet from retrenched QF, VA and TT pilots? Doesn’t seem to have been enough time to get SAAB pilots trained up, and I’m sure that CASA would want experienced pilots on the type in the operation before signing off on it.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

qf2220

Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:00 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
My prediction.. Yes it’s a big call but I tend to see VA and Rex eventually merging, giving them a strong network on the jet routes, and a return for VA to the regional network through Rex. I just can’t see enough room for 4 carriers of significant scale, especially given the strong position that QF and JQ have.

My prediction has been for some time that this is a spoiler by REX to try and get itself bought out of the way by (now) Bain so that the VA investment doesnt fail. The timing, strategy and now grandiosity is not consistent with a commercial operation.

CraigAnderson

Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:30 am

QF744ER wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I read somewhere that all six Rex B737s date from the Virgin Blue era and don't have the Boeing Sky Interior.

Chipmunk1973

Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:51 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

I read somewhere that all six Rex B737s date from the Virgin Blue era and don't have the Boeing Sky Interior.

So that probably means that they’re leasing the cheapest possible 737s that they can source quickly. Probably makes good financial sense given this whole expansion is probably going to be quite expensive for them.

Just hope they get the nasty smell of 2 minute noodles out of them before they fly commercially. :rotfl:
Cheers,
C1973

B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
AN, EK, MI, QF, SB.

melpax

Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:23 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
EDIT: The intended market is clearly the leisure, LCC crowd. And after sitting on it for five minutes, I think it is very strategic and well executed. That’s the sort of ad Virgin Blue would put out, not Borghetti’s Virgin. It’s putting the ‘fun’ back in the Virgin brand.

No point trying to sell to Corporates at the moment, especially when most are still working from home in some capacity, and in-person meetings are either banned, or severely limited in numbers. Even when things start getting back to some normalcy, the days of flying MEL-SYD, etc for a 1-2 hour meeting are pretty much over, people will probably want to get a lot more done when they do have to travel, especially with employers finally embracing WFH.

So Leisure/VFR is where it's at, at least for the next year or so, all going well.

moa999

Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:44 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
So that probably means that they’re leasing the cheapest possible 737s that they can source quickly.:

Or maybe the bulk of the aircraft available are 10-12yo lease returns, of an age before BSI

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos