Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
DLASFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:12 am

The Jackson Hole Airport has announced a nearly three month closure for runway construction in Spring 2022. This will impact an estimated 80,000 airline passengers and 90,000 aircraft movements. The closest alternate commercial airport is IDA, 2 hours away.

https://228k3g4ee2bb2v3oe82te2b2-wpengi ... 6.2020.pdf
 
gdavis003
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:03 am

This is a pretty substantial closing and will be devastating to the tourism industry there. Wonder if there would be a thought to temporarily open up some flights by commercial, express airlines at DIJ from a temporary terminal or something maybe? To provide something at least a little closer than IDA. The demand would surely be there. DIJ has a long enough runway to handle regional jets and maybe even an A319.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5302
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:14 am

I think the town of Jackson will do ok there's enough airports close(ish). Plus alot of the volume for jac still flies into SLC and DEN and it's a stop on a much larger western roadtrip so all that traffic will be there. I'd say this will be harder for all the second home private plane people who rely on that airport for quick in and outs more than tourists.

Delta already flies to to West Yellowstone airport. Good alternative for people headed to Yellowstone. I could see united adding Skywest to that airport while JAC is closed.

Too bad they couldn't do it this summer instead!
 
gdavis003
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:45 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I think the town of Jackson will do ok there's enough airports close(ish). Plus alot of the volume for jac still flies into SLC and DEN and it's a stop on a much larger western roadtrip so all that traffic will be there. I'd say this will be harder for all the second home private plane people who rely on that airport for quick in and outs more than tourists.

Delta already flies to to West Yellowstone airport. Good alternative for people headed to Yellowstone. I could see united adding Skywest to that airport while JAC is closed.

Too bad they couldn't do it this summer instead!


I knew some people who were out there this summer and said it was packed. Huge COVID tourism destination these days it seemed. I guess their traffic is lowest between April and June though.
 
User avatar
redzeppelin
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:50 am

The release doesn't give exact dates. This could be just late April to early June? That is the shoulder season. Ski season is over, but summer tourism hasn't picked up yet. Probably the best scenario for them.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 9075
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:32 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I think the town of Jackson will do ok there's enough airports close(ish). Plus alot of the volume for jac still flies into SLC and DEN and it's a stop on a much larger western roadtrip so all that traffic will be there. I'd say this will be harder for all the second home private plane people who rely on that airport for quick in and outs more than tourists.

Delta already flies to to West Yellowstone airport. Good alternative for people headed to Yellowstone. I could see united adding Skywest to that airport while JAC is closed.

Too bad they couldn't do it this summer instead!


I was under the impression West Yellowstone was SkyWest at risk? Not that it really changes the point, but I don’t think it’s a CPA route for Delta.
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1307
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:40 am

gdavis003 wrote:
This is a pretty substantial closing and will be devastating to the tourism industry there. Wonder if there would be a thought to temporarily open up some flights by commercial, express airlines at DIJ from a temporary terminal or something maybe? To provide something at least a little closer than IDA. The demand would surely be there. DIJ has a long enough runway to handle regional jets and maybe even an A319.


April to June is the shoulder/mud season. Better than Summer or Winter.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5302
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:02 am

gdavis003 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I think the town of Jackson will do ok there's enough airports close(ish). Plus alot of the volume for jac still flies into SLC and DEN and it's a stop on a much larger western roadtrip so all that traffic will be there. I'd say this will be harder for all the second home private plane people who rely on that airport for quick in and outs more than tourists.

Delta already flies to to West Yellowstone airport. Good alternative for people headed to Yellowstone. I could see united adding Skywest to that airport while JAC is closed.

Too bad they couldn't do it this summer instead!


I knew some people who were out there this summer and said it was packed. Huge COVID tourism destination these days it seemed. I guess their traffic is lowest between April and June though.


It was a HUGE destination this corona season. National parks in general definitely were. There was an article that SLC and DEN saw some of the lowest decreases in the country because of this demand. People fly into DEN or SLC and do lots of circle routes. But most dont fly into JAC thats very small numbers for the town and area. The town will do fine with the closure thats the quiet time anyway in mud season between ski season and summer. The RV and van life boom it seems like almost everyone visits jackson not in winter so i think there will still be plenty of demand. JAC is the new iceland overly crowded, a few less people in the quietest time of year wont be the worst thing.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 6412
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:00 am

Is it possible to indicate it is about an airporr in the title? Because I read the title and I thought it is about Japan Air Commuter, an airlines which's also in the news recently
 
DLASFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:09 am

There’s going to be a cargo impact as well. I wonder if UPS Next Day Air/FedEx Overnight will even be possible during the closure.
 
gdavis003
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:13 am

DLASFlyer wrote:
There’s going to be a cargo impact as well. I wonder if UPS Next Day Air/FedEx Overnight will even be possible during the closure.


I wonder if maybe the cargo ops shift to DIJ. More than likely has suitable facilities for something very temporary but no clue. Just a Beechcraft 1900 or two per day from SLC
 
SFOThinker
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:22 pm

The airport restaurant badly needs the expansion that is planned.
The drive from IDA goes through some fairly high mountains, and I would not like to attempt it in the rain.
 
User avatar
WesternDC6B
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:09 pm

I feel so old...! I flew into Jackson Hole in 1955. Dirt or gravel strip, DC3s were the biggest thing going in, and the “terminal” was a log cabin with a counter, few chairs, a desk, and a lady behind the counter who served double-duty for the airline (Western) and the car rental.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 11132
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:25 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I think the town of Jackson will do ok there's enough airports close(ish). Plus alot of the volume for jac still flies into SLC and DEN and it's a stop on a much larger western roadtrip so all that traffic will be there. I'd say this will be harder for all the second home private plane people who rely on that airport for quick in and outs more than tourists.

Delta already flies to to West Yellowstone airport. Good alternative for people headed to Yellowstone. I could see united adding Skywest to that airport while JAC is closed.

Too bad they couldn't do it this summer instead!


I knew some people who were out there this summer and said it was packed. Huge COVID tourism destination these days it seemed. I guess their traffic is lowest between April and June though.


It was a HUGE destination this corona season. National parks in general definitely were. There was an article that SLC and DEN saw some of the lowest decreases in the country because of this demand. People fly into DEN or SLC and do lots of circle routes. But most dont fly into JAC thats very small numbers for the town and area.


It's really a fairly small fraction of Yellowstone or Grand Teton visitors that fly into JAC. Airport reports make this clear. https://www.jacksonholeairport.com/reco ... y-reports/

Runways need major maintenance. It's not as if one could justify building a second runway for this once-a-decade event.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 9322
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:27 pm

This is scheduled appropriately so during mud season. The ski resort is closed, in a normal year many of the roads within the national parks aren’t even plowed out and opened until mid/late May, even the locals leave town and head to warmer places before summer season.

Much ado about nothing for needed and once an every couple of decade infrastructure repair.

The wanna be billionaire cowboys that want to fly into “J-Hole” during mud season will just have to fly their private jets into IDA for a few weeks.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:30 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
This is a pretty substantial closing and will be devastating to the tourism industry there. Wonder if there would be a thought to temporarily open up some flights by commercial, express airlines at DIJ from a temporary terminal or something maybe? To provide something at least a little closer than IDA. The demand would surely be there. DIJ has a long enough runway to handle regional jets and maybe even an A319.


April to June is the shoulder/mud season. Better than Summer or Winter.


Those in charge have made the only decision they could, hoping that Mother Nature cooperates.

If spring can start "on schedule", the ice and snow will be gone, and work can start quickly to ensure as early a starting date as possible.

If Mother Nature is feeling vindictive, she might keep winter around until mid-June and the whole re-build might be delayed.

I would imagine, however, that the rental car fleets at the airport itself will have be moved to surrounding airports, as tourists unable to fly there will fly elsewhere and make the trek to the park.
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:32 pm

WYS, COD, BZN, and IDA will be fine alternatives during this time. I know SLC gets a lot of Jackson Hole bound passengers that end up renting cars to drive up there since SLC can be a lot cheaper to fly into than JAC.
 
User avatar
knope2001
Posts: 3149
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:54 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:04 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
This is scheduled appropriately so during mud season. The ski resort is closed, in a normal year many of the roads within the national parks aren’t even plowed out and opened until mid/late May, even the locals leave town and head to warmer places before summer season.

Much ado about nothing for needed and once an every couple of decade infrastructure repair.

The wanna be billionaire cowboys that want to fly into “J-Hole” during mud season will just have to fly their private jets into IDA for a few weeks.



JAC enplanements by month in 2019 show the relative impact
39,580 January
37,589 February
46,236 March
13,144 April
18,979 May
48,197 June
62,672 July
64.082 August
47,781 September
25,500 October
13,072 November
26,725 December

Anecdotally a couple of years back we got remarkable air fares, an amazing room rate and a jaw-dropping hotel upgrade traveling to JAC in later June. Nearly everything in the area was open but no crowds. April, May and early June is the perfect time to shut down.
 
TrafficCop
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:53 pm

I guess if John Dutton hadn't fought so hard to keep his land we would possibly
have a new airport on the Yellowstone Ranch by now.Thus helping the situation when JAC
is down for repairs :hyper: :lol:
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15624
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:41 pm

knope2001 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
This is scheduled appropriately so during mud season. The ski resort is closed, in a normal year many of the roads within the national parks aren’t even plowed out and opened until mid/late May, even the locals leave town and head to warmer places before summer season.

Much ado about nothing for needed and once an every couple of decade infrastructure repair.

The wanna be billionaire cowboys that want to fly into “J-Hole” during mud season will just have to fly their private jets into IDA for a few weeks.



JAC enplanements by month in 2019 show the relative impact
39,580 January
37,589 February
46,236 March
13,144 April
18,979 May
48,197 June
62,672 July
64.082 August
47,781 September
25,500 October
13,072 November
26,725 December

Anecdotally a couple of years back we got remarkable air fares, an amazing room rate and a jaw-dropping hotel upgrade traveling to JAC in later June. Nearly everything in the area was open but no crowds. April, May and early June is the perfect time to shut down.


Yup. Perhaps more to the point than mud season, it’s extremely unpredictable weather season. It can and does snow in Yellowstone into June.
 
texl1649
Posts: 2135
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:38 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:28 pm

Pretty incredible. I’m reminded of SeaBee construction projects in WW2 for huge airfields that took...days, not months.
 
oosnowrat
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:57 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Delta already flies to to West Yellowstone airport. Good alternative for people headed to Yellowstone. I could see united adding Skywest to that airport while JAC is closed.
!


I was under the impression West Yellowstone was SkyWest at risk? Not that it really changes the point, but I don’t think it’s a CPA route for Delta.


WYS is a OO EAS city with seasonal service. PIH is about the same distance from JAC as WYS, too. These two are better alternates than BZN and COD.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 6151
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:59 pm

Why don’t they do it Alaska style where they just close half at a time? Or use the taxiway as a runway?
 
Dominion301
Posts: 3145
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:24 pm

90,000 movements in 3 months? That seems like a lot at JAC’s quietest time of the year. Does JAC really have 350,000 movements a year?
 
User avatar
FiscAutTecGarte
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:01 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
April to June is the shoulder/mud season. Better than Summer or Winter.


Same issue with most Northern Areas... In the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate NY, April-June is shoulder/mud/blackfly season.... Definitely no man's land between Mother's day and Father's day.
 
Cactusjuba
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:33 am

It's a shame they can't extend the runway length at the same time. Safety 2nd I suppose.
 
Toinou
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:21 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:39 am

Dominion301 wrote:
90,000 movements in 3 months? That seems like a lot at JAC’s quietest time of the year. Does JAC really have 350,000 movements a year?

It's enplanements number.
 
DLASFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:50 am

Cactusjuba wrote:
It's a shame they can't extend the runway length at the same time. Safety 2nd I suppose.


Grand Teton National Park would not allow. There was a runway safety area added a few years ago but it is not to be used in runway calculations.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5884
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Regarding the exact dates of this closure, I can say that AS's new SAN-JAC service is scheduled to (seasonally?) end on Sunday, April 11. That could indicate the closure date being April 12 perhaps?

bb
 
DLASFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:51 pm

[*]
SANFan wrote:
Regarding the exact dates of this closure, I can say that AS's new SAN-JAC service is scheduled to (seasonally?) end on Sunday, April 11. That could indicate the closure date being April 12 perhaps?

bb


AS dates are for the 2020-21 ski season. The closure is not until the end of the 2021-22 winter.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 3145
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Toinou wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
90,000 movements in 3 months? That seems like a lot at JAC’s quietest time of the year. Does JAC really have 350,000 movements a year?

It's enplanements number.


Not according to the OP:

This will impact an estimated 80,000 airline passengers and 90,000 aircraft movements.


Perhaps the OP put one too many zeros on the aircraft movements total? 9,000 in 3 months would make a lot more sense.
 
DLASFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:49 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Toinou wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
90,000 movements in 3 months? That seems like a lot at JAC’s quietest time of the year. Does JAC really have 350,000 movements a year?

It's enplanements number.


Not according to the OP:

This will impact an estimated 80,000 airline passengers and 90,000 aircraft movements.


Perhaps the OP put one too many zeros on the aircraft movements total? 9,000 in 3 months would make a lot more sense.


I screwed up. One number is boardings and the other is departing passengers from the same period 2019.
 
Redbellyguppy
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:57 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:50 am

I remember using a parallel taxiway as a runway at rsw, oak... too bad that couldn’t happen at jac
 
DLASFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:00 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
April to June is the shoulder/mud season. Better than Summer or Winter.


Same issue with most Northern Areas... In the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate NY, April-June is shoulder/mud/blackfly season.... Definitely no man's land between Mother's day and Father's day.


We are in a shoulder season right now at JAC and still getting the following flights daily:

2x A320 (DEN)
6x A319 (SLC, DFW, ORD)
1x E75 (SLC)

That’s over 1,000 seats a day for a town of 10,000. I wonder if UA and DL will send larger aircraft and/or more frequencies to IDA during the closure. AA probably won’t as they do not serve any nearby airports.
 
zuckie13
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Redbellyguppy wrote:
I remember using a parallel taxiway as a runway at rsw, oak... too bad that couldn’t happen at jac


I think the problem is there is not much separation between the only main taxiway and the ramp and JAC. I also wouldn't be shocked if they are also doing repaving of the taxiways/ramps while they are at it. Just get it all done in parallel.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5884
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:10 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Regarding the exact dates of this closure, I can say that AS's new SAN-JAC service is scheduled to (seasonally?) end on Sunday, April 11. That could indicate the closure date being April 12 perhaps?
bb

AS dates are for the 2020-21 ski season. The closure is not until the end of the 2021-22 winter.

Ooooops! Sorry for not paying attention to the details.

Never mind...

bb
 
NYC-air
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2000 6:59 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:36 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
It's a shame they can't extend the runway length at the same time. Safety 2nd I suppose.


Agreed!!!!!!!! And this is coming from someone who once volunteered to be bumped off a UAL A320 that couldn't make weight at that airport.
 
AWACSooner
Posts: 2674
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:23 pm

NYC-air wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:
It's a shame they can't extend the runway length at the same time. Safety 2nd I suppose.


Agreed!!!!!!!! And this is coming from someone who once volunteered to be bumped off a UAL A320 that couldn't make weight at that airport.

Well, as the airport is officially inside a NATIONAL PARK, there's jusssssssssst a bit more bureaucratic red tape to cut through to do any additions/improvements vs. upkeep/renovations.
 
drdisque
Posts: 1584
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:32 pm

RIW and RKS are also not terrible drives.
 
User avatar
YQBexYHZBGM
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:57 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
WYS, COD, BZN, and IDA will be fine alternatives during this time. I know SLC gets a lot of Jackson Hole bound passengers that end up renting cars to drive up there since SLC can be a lot cheaper to fly into than JAC.

We chose COD over the alternatives (JAC, WYS, BZN, BIL) for a camping trip to Yellowstone in August 2019. We were very pleased with our choice and the friendly and helpful service provided by OO staff at COD. Our alternative choice would have been BIL because it was part of our trip anyway and offered at least a few mainline flights, but sked didn't work for us. Icing on the cake: car rental from COD was significantly cheaper than any of the surrounding airports.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1630
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: JAC to close April-June 2022

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 am

BZN is fairly close. That would be my alternate.

DLASFlyer wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
April to June is the shoulder/mud season. Better than Summer or Winter.


Same issue with most Northern Areas... In the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate NY, April-June is shoulder/mud/blackfly season.... Definitely no man's land between Mother's day and Father's day.


We are in a shoulder season right now at JAC and still getting the following flights daily:

2x A320 (DEN)
6x A319 (SLC, DFW, ORD)
1x E75 (SLC)

That’s over 1,000 seats a day for a town of 10,000. I wonder if UA and DL will send larger aircraft and/or more frequencies to IDA during the closure. AA probably won’t as they do not serve any nearby airports.


Yeah, well gosh, you probably know that it is like Aspen. Just another small town, right? Maybe it doesn't look like a major city, but the amount of money there makes it a major destination.
 
DLASFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:25 am

The closure dates have been announced as April 11, 2022 - June 27, 2022. During that time, a larger security checkpoint and hold room will be added. The goal is for JAC to be able to handle up to 12 A320 sized aircraft in 90 minutes.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5302
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:46 pm

That time of year there are alternative airports. The biggest impact will be on hotels and restaurants. It's a very slow time for jackson "mud" season as they call it at all the ski areas but most of those passengers and flights are taking advantage of good deals. The actual impact to locals and cargo wont be that bad. Best time to have the airport closed. BZN I bet will become the alternative if airlines upgauage. Not a bad drive in spring weather and has N/S to all the places jackson has at that time and more.
 
DLASFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:53 am

Sure enough Delta has pulled its JAC flights for April-June 2022 and up-gauged IDA. Going mainline with A319s for the first time in years.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17798
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:57 am

The planners missed out - should have done it April - June 2020.
 
codc10
Posts: 3380
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:00 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
The planners missed out - should have done it April - June 2020.


If they did, I think they would have been less a “planner” and more clairvoyant.
 
alasizon
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:45 pm

codc10 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
The planners missed out - should have done it April - June 2020.


If they did, I think they would have been less a “planner” and more clairvoyant.


Not to mention the project wasn't fully greenlit until the end of 2019 so to have a timetable published for 2020 would have required a lot of hoops being jumped through.
 
slider
Posts: 7791
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:04 pm

April to June is probably the best possible time to do it.

Only risk is late spring winter weather that could delay the start, but that's absolutely the lowest traffic period. If they can jam on it, rock the project, then summer tourism traffic can be retained and they'll be set for winter peak.

That's a tough thing though, oof. Gotta be done though.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 9322
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:41 pm

slider wrote:
April to June is probably the best possible time to do it.

Only risk is late spring winter weather that could delay the start, but that's absolutely the lowest traffic period. If they can jam on it, rock the project, then summer tourism traffic can be retained and they'll be set for winter peak.

That's a tough thing though, oof. Gotta be done though.

Is winter or summer peak in JAC?
 
alasizon
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: JAC (Jackson Hole Airport, WY) to close April-June 2022

Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:57 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
slider wrote:
April to June is probably the best possible time to do it.

Only risk is late spring winter weather that could delay the start, but that's absolutely the lowest traffic period. If they can jam on it, rock the project, then summer tourism traffic can be retained and they'll be set for winter peak.

That's a tough thing though, oof. Gotta be done though.

Is winter or summer peak in JAC?


Technically summer sees more operations but in my opinion winter sees longer stays.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos