Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
atimp
Topic Author
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:19 am

ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:50 am

I wonder if ILG will get upgrades now that Biden is President Elect?
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8906
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:47 am

What? Umm no. Not with it being in the shadow of PHL and air travel demand at 30-40% of pre-pandemic levels.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 5106
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:51 am

I don;t think ILG will see much more than what they're seeing unless PHL becomes overcrowded for some reason, though It sure would be nice if ILG could be accessed by SEPTA from PHL on the suburban trains directly wouldn't it? Wilmington can be accessed by Amtrak from 30th street station in Philadelphia but I have never seen the SEPTA trains even go to ILM which I always thought they should have when I was stationed on the east coast while in the Navy. (which was many years ago) I live on the West coast now and we don't have local service between the Bay Area Airports and SMF (Sacramento) So I really can't fault anybody.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 5106
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:07 am

strfyr51 wrote:
I don;t think ILG will see much more than what they're seeing unless PHL becomes overcrowded for some reason, though It sure would be nice if ILG could be accessed by SEPTA from PHL on the suburban trains directly wouldn't it? Wilmington can be accessed by Amtrak from 30th street station in Philadelphia but I have never seen the SEPTA trains even go to ILM which I always thought they should have when I was stationed on the east coast while in the Navy. (which was many
years ago) I live on the West coast now and we don't have local service between the Bay Area Airports and SMF (Sacramento) So I really can't fault anybody.
II I stand Corrected SEPTA does have a line that goes to Wilmington DE and on to Newark DE. My question is can I get there easily from the PHL Suburban train Station?? I might have to try it when next I go home to visit from my home in Northern California.
 
fcogafa
Posts: 1330
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:07 am

It will probably be subject to the same massive disruption that PBI gets currently when the prez is at Mar a Lago, airspace closures and TRA's
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9883
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:11 am

atimp wrote:
I wonder if ILG will get upgrades now that Biden is President Elect?


Do you think Biden will make 500 visits to properties he owns in the next four years? :) https://www.citizensforethics.org/repor ... roperties/

When he wants to travel from the White House a motorcade will make this a quick trip: A rolling closure of I-95 will give him a clear path, and speeds 20 mph over the posted limit. How far do they take Marine One?

Bush 1's trips from Ellington Field up I-45 into downtown Houston were things of orchestrated beauty.
 
gdavis003
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:30 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
I don;t think ILG will see much more than what they're seeing unless PHL becomes overcrowded for some reason, though It sure would be nice if ILG could be accessed by SEPTA from PHL on the suburban trains directly wouldn't it? Wilmington can be accessed by Amtrak from 30th street station in Philadelphia but I have never seen the SEPTA trains even go to ILM which I always thought they should have when I was stationed on the east coast while in the Navy. (which was many
years ago) I live on the West coast now and we don't have local service between the Bay Area Airports and SMF (Sacramento) So I really can't fault anybody.
II I stand Corrected SEPTA does have a line that goes to Wilmington DE and on to Newark DE. My question is can I get there easily from the PHL Suburban train Station?? I might have to try it when next I go home to visit from my home in Northern California.


I could be completely wrong, but last I remember, the Wilmington/Newark line does stop at Suburban, then it goes to 30th, if you're going to Wilmington from Suburban. Of course, on the return trip, 30th is the station before Suburban, but most SEPTA lines do run through 30th/Suburban/Jefferson
 
Antarius
Posts: 3436
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:41 pm

fcogafa wrote:
It will probably be subject to the same massive disruption that PBI gets currently when the prez is at Mar a Lago, airspace closures and TRA's


I don't think "massive disruption" and ILG go in the same sentence. They could shut down ILG for hours and it wouldn't have as much of an impact as PBI for an hour.
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:18 pm

That's not how airport upgrades work. Especially to something like ILG. Although Frontier should be returning come Feb 2021.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15270
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:22 pm

Antarius wrote:
fcogafa wrote:
It will probably be subject to the same massive disruption that PBI gets currently when the prez is at Mar a Lago, airspace closures and TRA's


I don't think "massive disruption" and ILG go in the same sentence. They could shut down ILG for hours and it wouldn't have as much of an impact as PBI for an hour.


Yup. Biden to or from ILG - and I think that will happen some even if he goes by ground on certain trips - will be much more Bush 43 to ACT than Trump to PBI.
 
seat1a
Posts: 705
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:24 pm

I was thinking about Wilmington as possible destination for Breeze (or other airlines). ILG-ORD/DFW/LAX/MIA perhaps? I recall UA had service at one point. Thoughts welcome.
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:46 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
How far do they take Marine One?


I've seen reports that it has flown to Camp David. Aerial photo near the bottom of this page shows the helicopter landing area https://whitehouse.gov1.info/camp-david/

One the first uses of a helicopter by a President was to take Eisenhower from the White House to Gettysburg.

It certainly has the range to get to ILG, maybe even closer to Biden's home if there is a suitable landing facility.

Time of day might be a factor in whether or not Biden uses a motorcade or Marine ONE.
 
atcdan
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:52 am

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:45 pm

They will use VM1 any time it’s feasible, traveling by road is a massive security risk particularly when the route is obvious and the schedule known in advance.

I’ve seen VM1 used from BUR-VNY, LAX-Orange County. There’s no way it would be cost effective for the Secret Service to sweep 100 miles of freeway on a regular basis versus a trip with two or three helicopters that can go direct or change route mid course. Much more defensive depth in the air.
 
djack
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:23 pm

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:53 pm

Wilmington resident here. Currently SEPTA runs a line from Wilmington to Philly. To get to the airport you'd have to travel all the way to 30th Street Station and then backtrack. There are talks to open up a SEPTA line from Wilmington direct to PHL using an existing abandoned freight line. Sadly, not much has been said since this linked article from January 2017.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2017/01/02/del-airport-train-plan-progresses-but-hurdles-remain/95961882/

It's about 25-35 minutes from Downtown and Riverfront to PHL (with no 95 backups) and about a $45-50 Uber ride. Or park at Wally right off of 95 for about $12 a day with a bus that pulls up to pick you up before you've gotten out of the car.

Frontier had just started up service when I moved to Wilmington from Florida in 2013. Cheap flights to Florida, 5-10 minutes from the Riverfront to the airport, free parking, 10 feet from the front door to security, was a pretty good deal. Flights were limited so at times I had to mix and match Wilmington and Philly flights, flying out of Wilmington on a Friday and back into Philly on Sunday night. Frontier has name recognition in the region now with their expansive PHL service. They ended ended 2019 with up to 4 flights a day on PHL-MCO, so they have to know that traffic is coming from Delaware. We'll see what happens this time around at ILG.
 
gdavis003
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: ILG Upgrades

Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:14 pm

djack wrote:
Wilmington resident here. Currently SEPTA runs a line from Wilmington to Philly. To get to the airport you'd have to travel all the way to 30th Street Station and then backtrack. There are talks to open up a SEPTA line from Wilmington direct to PHL using an existing abandoned freight line. Sadly, not much has been said since this linked article from January 2017.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2017/01/02/del-airport-train-plan-progresses-but-hurdles-remain/95961882/

It's about 25-35 minutes from Downtown and Riverfront to PHL (with no 95 backups) and about a $45-50 Uber ride. Or park at Wally right off of 95 for about $12 a day with a bus that pulls up to pick you up before you've gotten out of the car.

Frontier had just started up service when I moved to Wilmington from Florida in 2013. Cheap flights to Florida, 5-10 minutes from the Riverfront to the airport, free parking, 10 feet from the front door to security, was a pretty good deal. Flights were limited so at times I had to mix and match Wilmington and Philly flights, flying out of Wilmington on a Friday and back into Philly on Sunday night. Frontier has name recognition in the region now with their expansive PHL service. They ended ended 2019 with up to 4 flights a day on PHL-MCO, so they have to know that traffic is coming from Delaware. We'll see what happens this time around at ILG.


Airport Line really isn't too bad to be honest from 30th to PHL. I come in from NJ all the time via Trenton line, transfer at 30th to airport line, and the ride from 30th to airport is not bad at all and is relatively short with only a few stops near UPenn and a couple others. A direct line from Wilmington would definitely be convenient for Wilmington residents but not sure whether they would do it with how easy it is to connect to airport line at 30th.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos