Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
TheSonntag
Topic Author
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm

TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:25 pm

Today the last fligh took place in Berlin Tegel. Air France Was the first and the last airline from Tegel (Berlin Tegel was in the french Sector of Berlin and was constructed during the Berlin Air Lift. The terminal itself was opened in 1974.

The airport officially remains an airport until May 2021, however, no flights will take place anymore. The Terminal Building will not be torn down. There are development Plans for the area for the next 30 years.

I will remember TXL. Not Sure that I will miss it,though.
 
Noshow
Posts: 2625
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:31 pm

Not the last flight altogether. The military air base Tegel Nord will continue to operate as a pure military helipad until at least 2029.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:54 pm

Noshow wrote:
Not the last flight altogether. The military air base Tegel Nord will continue to operate as a pure military helipad until at least 2029.


Last fixed wing?

What was the aircraft type, flight number and departure time of the AF flight?
 
Andrw
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:55 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:56 pm

Somehow I don't see it work after TXL is closed. I remember reading an article not that long ago about new EDDB - most equipment in need of changing alredy, stairs to nowhere, additional floor for shops had to be built because the architect didn't like shopping area at airports so he didn't bother including one, claims that EDDB even before opening (like opening now) is likely too small to handle all traffic to Berlin. All that kind of makes me think... not to mention bilions of euro wasted.
 
Antarius
Posts: 3436
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:04 pm

Andrw wrote:
Somehow I don't see it work after TXL is closed. I remember reading an article not that long ago about new EDDB - most equipment in need of changing alredy, stairs to nowhere, additional floor for shops had to be built because the architect didn't like shopping area at airports so he didn't bother including one, claims that EDDB even before opening (like opening now) is likely too small to handle all traffic to Berlin. All that kind of makes me think... not to mention bilions of euro wasted.


Thats why BER was delayed. But it's done now and open.

As much as I love TXL and the core terminal, Terminal C is worse than EWR. Its time for the city to move on.
 
User avatar
lindy field
Posts: 2991
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2001 1:52 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:05 pm

This is a sad day for me. I used the airport frequently when I lived in Berlin and always found it convenient. The planespotting was a lot of fun too with lots of nice spots at and around the airport. Close parallel runways meant that one rarely missed any traffic and the special government visitors meant there was a good chance of seeing and photographing something unexpected.

 
Antarius
Posts: 3436
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:05 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Noshow wrote:
Not the last flight altogether. The military air base Tegel Nord will continue to operate as a pure military helipad until at least 2029.


Last fixed wing?

What was the aircraft type, flight number and departure time of the AF flight?


I believe it was https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AFR1235

Air France 1235 with a 3 pm departure. A321 equipment.
 
Noshow
Posts: 2625
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:53 pm

A320. F-GKXP.
 
TheSonntag
Topic Author
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:59 pm

Very unique architecture. Short ways. Built for cars. Very 70s like. Lots of concrete. Octagonal Design. Outdated but unique.
 
PANAMsterdam
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:08 pm

 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 8435
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:27 pm

I had a couple of days spotting there back in 2012 I visited because it was then not far from closing .and it was not really known what spotting facilities the new airport would have. I very iconic viewing deck and some interesting movements.- got a russian IL76 and the govt A340s,
 
Tokyo777
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:29 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:28 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:


Thanks for posting. Seems the pilot paused to get a good wash out of the deal. I expect this to be the cleanest plane in AF's fleet now.
 
PANAMsterdam
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Tokyo777 wrote:
PANAMsterdam wrote:


Thanks for posting. Seems the pilot paused to get a good wash out of the deal. I expect this to be the cleanest plane in AF's fleet now.


You're welcome! I have to admit: I was a bit confused when the firetrucks were on the right and the plane was turning left. Then I realized it would do one final round around the Terminal before getting its free exterior cleaning.

Boy, what I would give to see Pan Am make one final round around TXL again. :cry2:



Danke Schön TXL!
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:27 pm

My most recent flight into TXL was on AB, from JFK, in August 2017, a week before the airline announced it would cease operations that October. Arrived on a gorgeous, sunny, Saturday morning, parked at a remote stand all the way at the corner behind the temporary international terminal, alongside 2 other company A330-200s. Flight from JFK was half empty, with bad food, but pleasant, courteous crews and a very comfortable ride in the extra legroom cabin. The arrival process was a complete mess and it took 45-50 minutes to clear passport control. Walked to the bus stop in front of the main, hexagonal terminal and was at our hotel in 20 minutes. The airport had character and had history. A few days later, I left from SXF, on Norwegian, to Bergen. The terminal and everything about it was awful and much worse than TXL. We taxied past the new BER terminal, and lifted off from the new runway.
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 3514
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:51 pm

Interesting that they are keeping the terminal and redeveloping the area. Though I am sure the the IKEA......errrr.......Terminal C will be razed.
 
Delta777Jet
Posts: 1476
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2000 6:19 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:17 am

The last flight was scheduled with an A-321. But as Air France decided to charge 500 EURO for a oneway in Economy Class the flight was rather empty and they brought an old A-320 instead , which was dirty as we know the AF plane. They could have showed a better plane as this is kinda free advertising for them as everyone here watched the news or was at the airport. This plane was Dirty and old. But the TXL firetrucks washed it clean. The pilot used all the water and waited until it was clean !

Good Bye TXL. I have fond memories flying to and from you with Air Berlin, Lufthansa, Finnair, Air Baltic, easyJet, Brussels Airlines and many many more.

We will miss you.... and finally Berlin doesn't have any airport ( BER is on Brandenburg state soil , not in Berlin )
 
gabik001
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:16 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:29 am

I had an opportunity to fly via TXL to KRK on AB. We did not get on our original flight to KRK as flight from ORD was delayed and had spare 7 hours to see the airport, do some planespotting. Caught plenty of unique (as for me) airlines from viewing terrace.Visited every accessible corner of the terminals. Very good experience however terminals for me looked outdated. Good bye TXL!
 
pythoniels
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:54 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:40 am

Delta777Jet wrote:
The last flight was scheduled with an A-321. But as Air France decided to charge 500 EURO for a oneway in Economy Class the flight was rather empty and they brought an old A-320 instead , which was dirty as we know the AF plane. They could have showed a better plane as this is kinda free advertising for them as everyone here watched the news or was at the airport. This plane was Dirty and old. But the TXL firetrucks washed it clean. The pilot used all the water and waited until it was clean !

Good Bye TXL. I have fond memories flying to and from you with Air Berlin, Lufthansa, Finnair, Air Baltic, easyJet, Brussels Airlines and many many more.

We will miss you.... and finally Berlin doesn't have any airport ( BER is on Brandenburg state soil , not in Berlin )
One ways are often more expensive than return tickets ;-) Shorter before departure makes it even more expensive. I've noticed return tickets for as low as EUR250,-

Sad to see the airport close, but time to move on and away from the dated interior. While the terminal building will last, does anyone know if items like signs etc will be auctioned? Would be great to have some TXL memorabilia in my house.
 
TheSonntag
Topic Author
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:36 am

Regarding the worn state of TXL - one should remember that the closure of TXL was already planned since the late 1990s, and was to happen in 2012. So they already reduced the investments around 20 years ago and did just what was necessary.

What I find very interesting is the big change in airport design from the early 1970s to 1990. Since 1990, many terminals use lots of glass, open space, much light. A terminal from 2020 does not look that much different from the Terminal 1 in MUC from 1992, for example.

TXL and CGN T1, or CDG T1 ,used lots of concrete. In the old days I found it terrible, today it seems rather cool and unique.
 
Airdolomiti
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 10:05 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:40 am

I was on the final AF flight yesterday - certainly one of the more emotional moments I've witnessed in aviation.

I was very fond of Tegel, with its eccentric architecture, the ridiculously short distances from kerb to gate that saved me from missing many a flight while travelling on business, and of course the giant rooftop viewing deck. All that will be sorely missed.

On the other hand, it was bursting at the seams and it wasn't a particularly pleasant airport to fly from if your flight left from anywhere other than Terminal A (the hexagon). I certainly won't miss the shack they called Terminal C. And the lack of rail connections was also a disadvantage at times.

I arrived at BER for the first time as a passenger last night, after having been on site almost on a daily basis prior to its commissioning. Of course it doesn't quite have the character of TXL or THF (I have a feeling that no new airport ever will), but honestly: it's a perfectly good airport and it took me all of five minutes to step on the express train into town from the moment I stepped off the aircraft.

Delta777Jet wrote:
The last flight was scheduled with an A-321. But as Air France decided to charge 500 EURO for a oneway in Economy Class the flight was rather empty and they brought an old A-320 instead , which was dirty as we know the AF plane. They could have showed a better plane as this is kinda free advertising for them as everyone here watched the news or was at the airport. This plane was Dirty and old. But the TXL firetrucks washed it clean. The pilot used all the water and waited until it was clean !

Good Bye TXL. I have fond memories flying to and from you with Air Berlin, Lufthansa, Finnair, Air Baltic, easyJet, Brussels Airlines and many many more.

We will miss you.... and finally Berlin doesn't have any airport ( BER is on Brandenburg state soil , not in Berlin )


I booked in late September and paid EUR 350 return (flex fare!) for my flight yesterday - the final TXL-CDG flight, and back to BER in the evening. I had reserved a window seat before the change of equipment, which I'm told was due to the scheduled A321 having gone tech. I ended up having an aisle seat, but it was still a great experience.
 
Noshow
Posts: 2625
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:42 am

Tegel was quite elegant. Like one master design for everything until they messed it up with those cheapo expansion terminals.
Looking back it is impressive how much traffic it could cover compared to what is was planned for. Certainly one of the better airport designs from a passenger standpoint.
 
User avatar
keesje
Posts: 14525
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:29 am

I guess some building, hall will be kept, someone wants them. The aprons, taxi & runways provide opportunity for new use.

Image
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABBx

Image
https://www.dw.com/en/opinion-closing-b ... a-55434210

Creative minds will take care. Who gets the tower..
 
TheSonntag
Topic Author
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:59 pm

The Tower might actually be one of the larger issues - it is lacking the so called Zweiter Rettungsweg (second escape route) - that is why the firefighters in TXL have a 45m long ladder. If the stairs burn, there is no way out. No longer certifiable, and if you change the building, you need to adapt modern standards. So this remains interesting to be seen.

I like what they plan for TXL. Could have been much worse.
 
PANAMsterdam
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:09 pm

Image
Posted by @BERlinairport on Twitter back in 2018
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:12 pm

One day short of the 31st anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Kind of ironic, given the whole purpose of the airport was directly tied to the wall.
 
bennett123
Posts: 10865
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:16 pm

When I was there in 2016, Museum fur Verkehr und Technik had B717-458 4X-ATB marked as Lufthansa D-ABOC.

Is it still there?.
 
 
User avatar
ro1960
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:19 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:51 pm

One of the best observation decks! It will be missed.

Image

Image
 
hpff
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:20 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:26 pm

It would have been excellently repurposed as a short haul airport, but alas. Goodbye, TXL. I'll miss aspects of you.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1989
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:38 pm

I think I'm more sad I didn't fly to/from THF when I could, than having missed TXL. FO many years I've been expecting my next visit to Berlin to be via BER, and now it will be :)

It will be interesting to see how the TXL repurposing goes - is there a sense of commercial development or public?
 
Antarius
Posts: 3436
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:32 am

hpff wrote:
It would have been excellently repurposed as a short haul airport, but alas. Goodbye, TXL. I'll miss aspects of you.


That's basically what it has been.

Not like TXL or BER are busting at the seams with tons of longhaul traffic. It has, what, 8 longhaul routes?
 
A350OZ
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:59 am

TXL was my home airport for the first 20 years of my life, before I moved to FRA and later MEL. Great memories of the mid- and late '90s and early 2000s spend on the visitor terrace and being up close to rare and interesting birds such as the MIAT A310, the Royal Jordanian A310, the always present BA 757, a Delta 763, Lufthansa's A300s doing the hourly FRA run, Lithuanian's Saabs, and so many others. The TXL I remember is the hexagon with its short ways and the usually unfriendly (it was Berlin, after all) security personnel at each gate. The dreadful 'shed' aka terminal C came later, I think I only had to arrive there once.

I moved to Australia in late 2009, with the expectation of not flying into or out of TXL ever again. Well, that did not happen and I was back a few times over the years. Coincidentally, my last flight out of TXL was also on Air France, on an A320 to CDG in October 2015.

Well, this is it. Finally going to BER then - whenever I'll be back.

 
steman
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2000 4:55 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:46 am

bennett123 wrote:
When I was there in 2016, Museum fur Verkehr und Technik had B717-458 4X-ATB marked as Lufthansa D-ABOC.

Is it still there?.


Yes, it´s still there. A former EL AL B707 who was also involved in some hijack episode.
Boeing wanted to give LH a present for the delivery of LH´s 200th Boeing airplane.
Since there were no ex LH B707 available, Boeing got this former EL AL example, painted it in classic LH colours
and brought it to Berlin. However, since LH was not allowed to fly to Berlin back then (before the Reunification) Boeing
had to modify the livery and remove the Lufthansa name (I´m not 100% sure of the details, I´ve read this story some time ago).
Anyway Lufthansa didn´t want it and donated it to the Technisches Museum Berlin. The Museum really didn´t want it,
they expressed it clearly and the plane has been rottening at the south west corner of the airport for decades.
Unfortunately it is in such a terrible conditions that it will be impossible to recuperate.
It will be destroyed and the Technisches Museum has already said that LH has to pay for the removal.
That´s a shame because it had such a convoluted and interesting history.
 
bennett123
Posts: 10865
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:18 am

Pity that Boeing didn't realise that LH didn't want it.
 
A350OZ
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:07 am

steman wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
When I was there in 2016, Museum fur Verkehr und Technik had B717-458 4X-ATB marked as Lufthansa D-ABOC.

Is it still there?.


Yes, it´s still there. A former EL AL B707 who was also involved in some hijack episode.
Boeing wanted to give LH a present for the delivery of LH´s 200th Boeing airplane.
Since there were no ex LH B707 available, Boeing got this former EL AL example, painted it in classic LH colours
and brought it to Berlin. However, since LH was not allowed to fly to Berlin back then (before the Reunification) Boeing
had to modify the livery and remove the Lufthansa name (I´m not 100% sure of the details, I´ve read this story some time ago).
Anyway Lufthansa didn´t want it and donated it to the Technisches Museum Berlin. The Museum really didn´t want it,
they expressed it clearly and the plane has been rottening at the south west corner of the airport for decades.
Unfortunately it is in such a terrible conditions that it will be impossible to recuperate.
It will be destroyed and the Technisches Museum has already said that LH has to pay for the removal.
That´s a shame because it had such a convoluted and interesting history.


Wow. Interesting, thanks for this. Is this the same frame that used to sit on the approach road into TXL, on the left just before the tunnel?
 
TheSonntag
Topic Author
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:08 am

Kent350787 wrote:
I think I'm more sad I didn't fly to/from THF when I could, than having missed TXL. FO many years I've been expecting my next visit to Berlin to be via BER, and now it will be :)

It will be interesting to see how the TXL repurposing goes - is there a sense of commercial development or public?


Yes. Further details can be seen here: https://www.tegelprojekt.de/

Basically, they keep the terminal and rebuild it for a university of applied sciences. They will build a new quarter, and it seems they keep one runway as a memory.
 
Noshow
Posts: 2625
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:09 am

It was still used by LH to promote their interest in flying to Berlin themselves. It was displayed next to the Tegel entrance freeway in Lufthansa colors during the late wall times.
 
PANAMsterdam
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:36 am

A350OZ wrote:
steman wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
When I was there in 2016, Museum fur Verkehr und Technik had B717-458 4X-ATB marked as Lufthansa D-ABOC.

Is it still there?.


Yes, it´s still there. A former EL AL B707 who was also involved in some hijack episode.
Boeing wanted to give LH a present for the delivery of LH´s 200th Boeing airplane.
Since there were no ex LH B707 available, Boeing got this former EL AL example, painted it in classic LH colours
and brought it to Berlin. However, since LH was not allowed to fly to Berlin back then (before the Reunification) Boeing
had to modify the livery and remove the Lufthansa name (I´m not 100% sure of the details, I´ve read this story some time ago).
Anyway Lufthansa didn´t want it and donated it to the Technisches Museum Berlin. The Museum really didn´t want it,
they expressed it clearly and the plane has been rottening at the south west corner of the airport for decades.
Unfortunately it is in such a terrible conditions that it will be impossible to recuperate.
It will be destroyed and the Technisches Museum has already said that LH has to pay for the removal.
That´s a shame because it had such a convoluted and interesting history.


Wow. Interesting, thanks for this. Is this the same frame that used to sit on the approach road into TXL, on the left just before the tunnel?


Google Maps can show you exactly where it stands, including some cool (but sad) pictures.
https://goo.gl/maps/AfuvuTjz81itoLhA8
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1959
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:50 am

The terminal would make a nice hotel and conference centre. The runways can be used for drag racing or Formula 1.
 
User avatar
NeBaNi
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:45 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 pm

[quote="ro1960"]One of the best observation decks! It will be missed.

Agreed, I always made it a point to go to the Besuchersterrasse whenever I was in Berlin. My profile pic is a picture taken from there, when airberlin was still around.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:25 pm

bennett123 wrote:
When I was there in 2016, Museum fur Verkehr und Technik had B717-458 4X-ATB marked as Lufthansa D-ABOC.

Is it still there?.


Technically a Boeing 707, but we all knew. Great job with the Boeing code and registrations!

I have a book in storage somewhere, which I will have to get out and re-read at some point. It is called "Skyjacked!", written in 1972 (I believe), detailing the history of skyjackings up to that point. I first learned of the region of Eritrea from this book, as one of the earliest skyjackings was of an Ethiopian Airlines flight, specifically for the purpose of publicity for the skyjackers and their cause. Cuba, obviously, is discussed at length, both with Cuba-U.S. planes as well as U.S.-Cuba flights.

And of course there is the Middle East. El Al's one and only real hijacking occurred in 1968, and Israel eventually got the hijacked 707 and crew returned from Algeria. From that point on, El Al vowed there would never be a hijacking on their watch again.

To that end, the now well-known security measures standard on any El Al flight were implemented. Not that strict immediately, as the Black September attempted hijacking showed there was more to do - but it had begun.

The book details the events of that flight. After the 1968 hijacking, Israel had wanted much more in the way of armed security for their flights, given that they had taken control of who gets on the plane, it was now time to deal with security on the ground AROUND their planes. However, the Swiss did not want to appear too militarized - thus violating their principles of neutrality - and thus denied the request from El Al. The airline took matters into their own hands by stationing armed security personnel on their planes. On this day in 1969, the armed security guard slipped down into the wheel well of the taxiing plane and fired on the attackers, killing one of them. The co-pilot was badly injured in the attack and died about a month after this incident.

The book does a tremendous job in its description, remaining objective and trying only to explain the objective: to provoke a state of fear in which the citizenry must live. It took neither side in its discussion of the Middle East nor of Cuba - it only attempted to explain the motives, and nothing more.

My one and only time to fly into TXL (from Salzburg on an Air Berlin DH8) proved to be incredibly un-scenic: rainy, cloudy, and a short hop to southeast side terminal C, away from the field and the action. The Quonsett hut masquerading as a terminal had no view of the field, so whether or not the 707 in question was here in late June of 2017, I don't know. Even if it was, I missed it. However, if I ever get back to Berlin (come on, Covid vaccine!!), I definitely want to drive out to Lady Agnes!!
 
bennett123
Posts: 10865
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:40 pm

PSAatSA4ever

Sorry about the slip up.

Given that you are the first to comment it s hard to know how many others spotted it.

As for 4X-ATB, it was there on 21/05/2016, but my only picture is not up to airliners standards.

I have tried to copy it here, but it doesn't work.
 
User avatar
YMX4ever
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:18 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:15 pm

I really wish I had a chance to fly out of TXL :(
 
Noshow
Posts: 2625
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:18 pm

Easy. You just need to sign up for service with Luftwaffe to get on one of their helicopters left.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:12 pm

bennett123 wrote:
PSAatSA4ever

Sorry about the slip up.

Given that you are the first to comment it s hard to know how many others spotted it.

As for 4X-ATB, it was there on 21/05/2016, but my only picture is not up to airliners standards.

I have tried to copy it here, but it doesn't work.


No worries - we all knew what you meant. All good!

Here's what I do to post a picture that is NOT on the a.net picture forum:

1) Go to [url]postimages.org[/url] - no account is necessary.

2) Click on "upload images".

3) Select the image you want.

4) When it has been uploaded, copy the "link for forums" for your a.net response. No [ul] stuff is necessary - it's all built in.
 
dmurray
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 am

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:24 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
My most recent flight into TXL was on AB, from JFK, in August 2017, a week before the airline announced it would cease operations that October. Arrived on a gorgeous, sunny, Saturday morning, parked at a remote stand all the way at the corner behind the temporary international terminal, alongside 2 other company A330-200s. Flight from JFK was half empty, with bad food, but pleasant, courteous crews and a very comfortable ride in the extra legroom cabin. The arrival process was a complete mess and it took 45-50 minutes to clear passport control. Walked to the bus stop in front of the main, hexagonal terminal and was at our hotel in 20 minutes. The airport had character and had history. A few days later, I left from SXF, on Norwegian, to Bergen. The terminal and everything about it was awful and much worse than TXL. We taxied past the new BER terminal, and lifted off from the new runway.


When we arrived at TXL from Moscow, we had a two hour wait to get through passport control. We missed our transport connection to Berlin, but just took a cab into our hotel which was only about 15 minutes. We got our money back from the planned connection so it turned out fine. TXL is well connected to Berlin. We used Berlin as a back end to our Russian river trip from St. Petersburg to Moscow via Viking and really enjoyed the trip. My wife had been to West Berlin before the wall was torn down and really wanted to see East Berlin. We had a great time seeing both parts of the city. Our travel agent got us a great tour of Berlin including both parts of the city. Just a reminder to use travel agents when going to a city you haven't been to. They usually have good contacts.
 
User avatar
Martinairger
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:57 pm

I had my last departure out of Berlin Tegel 3 days before the final closure and it was more emotional as expected. A short trip report can be find here: https://www.mach-photos.com/single-post/last-departure-from-berlin-tegel-just-a-few-of-days-before-closure

Homepage of Rogosz Photography: https://www.mach-photos.com/
 
luckyone
Posts: 4014
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: TXL closed - last flight today [08 NOV 2020]

Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:14 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
A350OZ wrote:
steman wrote:

Yes, it´s still there. A former EL AL B707 who was also involved in some hijack episode.
Boeing wanted to give LH a present for the delivery of LH´s 200th Boeing airplane.
Since there were no ex LH B707 available, Boeing got this former EL AL example, painted it in classic LH colours
and brought it to Berlin. However, since LH was not allowed to fly to Berlin back then (before the Reunification) Boeing
had to modify the livery and remove the Lufthansa name (I´m not 100% sure of the details, I´ve read this story some time ago).
Anyway Lufthansa didn´t want it and donated it to the Technisches Museum Berlin. The Museum really didn´t want it,
they expressed it clearly and the plane has been rottening at the south west corner of the airport for decades.
Unfortunately it is in such a terrible conditions that it will be impossible to recuperate.
It will be destroyed and the Technisches Museum has already said that LH has to pay for the removal.
That´s a shame because it had such a convoluted and interesting history.


Wow. Interesting, thanks for this. Is this the same frame that used to sit on the approach road into TXL, on the left just before the tunnel?


Google Maps can show you exactly where it stands, including some cool (but sad) pictures.
https://goo.gl/maps/AfuvuTjz81itoLhA8

Wow, they could not have tucked that further away if they tried!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos