Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Ishrion
Topic Author
Posts: 3052
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:50 pm

From the ACL site, JetBlue has been given slots for Boston to London Stansted and New York JFK to London Gatwick for summer 2021: https://www.acl-uk.org/latest-airport-info/

According to the ACL site, JetBlue secured 868 slots for BOS-STN and 434 slots for JFK-LGW.

JetBlue also has a "next destination" announcement tomorrow. Could it be confirming the London flights?
Last edited by Ishrion on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
BusBlitz
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 13, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:52 pm

yay
 
eaa3
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:49 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:53 pm

AMS or CDG I would think
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:55 pm

But no LHR....
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10870
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:57 pm

Splitting up their London flights between LGW and STN does not seem ideal.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Polot wrote:
Splitting up their London flights between LGW and STN does not seem ideal.


Especially with neither being LHR...
 
zuckie13
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:01 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
But no LHR....


LHR was not going to be likely. Obviously these had to be awarded on the assumption that all the currently suspended operations are going to return.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2238
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:01 pm

I don't see the purpose of STN at all with this demand environment. Are they expecting connections onto FR or something?
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10870
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
I don't see the purpose of STN at all with this demand environment. Are they expecting connections onto FR or something?

I’m guessing they couldn’t get enough LGW slots. Obviously LHR was the dream but that was always a long shot.
 
Antarius
Posts: 2719
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:04 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
I don't see the purpose of STN at all with this demand environment. Are they expecting connections onto FR or something?


O&D traffic
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:06 pm

Does anyone really see BOS-STN working?
 
n9801f
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:29 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:07 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
I don't see the purpose of STN at all with this demand environment. Are they expecting connections onto FR or something?

BOS has a lot of tech companies, as does the area near STN. Could this be a niche tech route like AUS-Bay Area was in the US?
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3346
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:11 pm

Ishrion wrote:
From the ACL site, JetBlue has been given slots for Boston to London Stansted and New York JFK to London Gatwick for summer 2021: https://www.acl-uk.org/latest-airport-info/

According to the ACL site, JetBlue secured 868 slots for BOS-STN and 434 slots for JFK-LGW.

JetBlue also has a "next destination" announcement tomorrow. Could it be confirming the London flights?


I saw that teaser this morning as well, I'd say its what you have just shared.

Very surprising that they would look to operate at two different airports, even though they may not have gotten their choice to combine.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:25 pm

Sans LHR, B6's London foray is a lot less impactful, and relevant and just makes their operation another player in the London TATL market from the US. Interesting to see BOS and JFK split between STN and LGW. BOS-STN isn't coincidental. STN is situated in the UK's tech corridor. JFK-LGW just makes them another player in a crowded field. BUT, the industry will watch this closely given the role of the A321 and the quasi-full service element of B6's service and how the experience may change the way the majors cater to these markets.
 
AC4500
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:33 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Does anyone really see BOS-STN working?

It'll be tough, but not impossible, IMO.

It'll depend on how much O&D low-cost traffic B6 can attract.
Last edited by AC4500 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
tphuang
Posts: 5460
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:33 pm

I find it very surprising they would split up their operation if it doesn't involve LHR. I will wait and see what JetBlue actually announces.

Ishrion wrote:
From the ACL site, JetBlue has been given slots for Boston to London Stansted and New York JFK to London Gatwick for summer 2021: https://www.acl-uk.org/latest-airport-info/

According to the ACL site, JetBlue secured 868 slots for BOS-STN and 434 slots for JFK-LGW.

JetBlue also has a "next destination" announcement tomorrow. Could it be confirming the London flights?

They already announced london. The announcement tomorrow is for a new yet to be announced destination if you looked at their replies.
 
Galwayman
Posts: 913
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Yes STN makes perfect sense for the tech industry, City workers and the more experienced London travellers . I wonder if AA will attempt STN spoiler routes again........
 
eaa3
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:49 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:41 pm

It does look like there may some remedy slots for BOS-LHR. Maybe they applied for that.

But it looks like the LHR slots haven't been announced yet... I can't find the document on the ACL website. I wonder if they applied for LGW and STN as backup and intend to return it if they get LHR. They have some time to return them, I think

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploa ... _clean.pdf
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8493
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:48 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Yes STN makes perfect sense for the tech industry, City workers and the more experienced London travellers . I wonder if AA will attempt STN spoiler routes again........


I doubt B6 is starting London with the expectation of relying heavily on UK point of sale. Most Americans know nothing of Stansted. There were reasons that all U.S. carriers stampeded to LHR when they could.
 
x1234
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:55 pm

So how's the payload of the A321XLR long range? Is it Latin America (deep south)? Personally I don't see B6 successful after pulling out of MEX. Sure there's less LCC in GRU, EZE and SCL but will they be successful? Or is it Hawaii? Another player on LAX-HNL!? One thing to note is that on most Latin America flights theres a TON of baggage as families are going shopping in the USA.
Last edited by x1234 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10197
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:56 pm

I doubt B6 would even try London without LHR. My guess is they are still working on the LHR slots and given the state of the airline industry post-Pandemic those shouldn't be too hard to get. I have always suspected that B6's strategy for London was always LHR+1 or maybe even LHR+2. It makes zero sense for B6 to go into London without LHR.
 
Mikeer50
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:12 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:34 pm

I’m not familiar with the geography of London. Why has LHR historically been the airport everyone wants to get into? I’m assuming it gives the best connection to downtown London? Thanks.
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3346
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:46 pm

Mikeer50 wrote:
I’m not familiar with the geography of London. Why has LHR historically been the airport everyone wants to get into? I’m assuming it gives the best connection to downtown London? Thanks.


yes, and at least with LGW you do have a good option with the Gatwick Express into central London. STN/LTN are way out. Although, my preference is LCY!!

Airport to Big Ben via rail/subway departing at 10am:
LHR: 34 min.
LTN: 65 min.
LGW: 43 min.
STN: 66 min.
LCY: 31 min.
SEN: 91 min.
 
fcogafa
Posts: 1288
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:58 pm

If Stansted is so great for the tech corridor, why are there currently no US flights (ignoring covid reasons)? Several airlines have tried and all failed.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 5089
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Polot wrote:
Splitting up their London flights between LGW and STN does not seem ideal.

from having worked charters :LGW and STN have advantages in that they have maintenance providers there who can service and repair airplanes. At LHR? It can be done but facilities are spoken for and even gates are hard to come by. I don't think any of you has ever seen a new carrier just get into LHR because they said so.
If and when B6 gets into LHR? It will be on the strength of their hub at JFK as an advantage...
 
VS11
Posts: 1673
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 6:34 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:18 pm

Interesting move - one could reach both London airports connecting in the applicable US city. Maybe they were going for a choice of London airports - I can’t imagine LGW slots being unavailable now. Or maybe they will trade STN for LGW slots with one of the European carriers....
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5811
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:21 pm

STN will fail if tried. Most people originating in London see Stansted as the“Ryanair airport” and they would not even think of flying from there. At least not for business.

A million different carriers have tried flights from STN to the US and Asia and all failed. The only long haul service before COVID was Emirates which doesn’t mean a lot considering how gigantic EK is in London and the UK.
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3346
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:31 pm

If I'm B6, I'm making a phone call to Korea and see if they want to sell an OZ slot at LHR (not knowing off the top of my head what their slots are)
 
VS11
Posts: 1673
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 6:34 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 pm

eaa3 wrote:
It does look like there may some remedy slots for BOS-LHR. Maybe they applied for that.

But it looks like the LHR slots haven't been announced yet... I can't find the document on the ACL website. I wonder if they applied for LGW and STN as backup and intend to return it if they get LHR. They have some time to return them, I think

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploa ... _clean.pdf


These remedy slots can be at either LHR or LGW so B6 can still serve just LGW.
 
User avatar
MillwallSean
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:57 pm

Going into LGW is the right move and it will work. There is enough O&D for it to do so.

Going to STN wont work, they might fly it, but there isnt enough demand from two ends unless they compete solely on price and Jetblue don't have such a strategic competitive advantage.

Tech companies in Essex? Really?

London is simple, LHR is number one. LGW is number two and London city is for a few people working in the city. Thats it.
STN and Luton is something else, it is something considered when price is the sole determining factor. Great for a stag do or a cheap lager infused weekend in Budapest. Not sure how jetblue plans to gain yields there, but well good on them for trying. I am sure that on a map it looks feasible, reality though...
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.
 
WorldFlier
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:02 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
But no LHR....


LHR was not going to be likely. Obviously these had to be awarded on the assumption that all the currently suspended operations are going to return.


If a Company is willing to operate flights now, they should be given slots from the largest operator not using the highest % of their slots.

This is clearly anti-competitive actions to protect established players.
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5246
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:05 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Does anyone really see BOS-STN working?


No unless they offer $49 one way fares. What a waste of resources. Again more cheap seat in an already over crowded market.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5246
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:06 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
But no LHR....


LHR was not going to be likely. Obviously these had to be awarded on the assumption that all the currently suspended operations are going to return.


If a Company is willing to operate flights now, they should be given slots from the largest operator not using the highest % of their slots.

This is clearly anti-competitive actions to protect established players.


Agreed LHR slots not being used should be reissued especially if a new carrier is willing to enter the market..
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5246
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:09 pm

airbazar wrote:
I doubt B6 would even try London without LHR. My guess is they are still working on the LHR slots and given the state of the airline industry post-Pandemic those shouldn't be too hard to get. I have always suspected that B6's strategy for London was always LHR+1 or maybe even LHR+2. It makes zero sense for B6 to go into London without LHR.


I think LGW could work for them but not STN.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
jfk777
Posts: 7388
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:22 pm

Gatwick is the best airport for Jetblue right now. If they ever get 787 or A350 then they can take a stab Heathrow. JB needs to decide if London is a niche market or are they going to be competitive with BA, AA and Virgin. That would require several daily frequencies spread throughout the day and their slots. We are in for an interesting ride with JB.
 
User avatar
tb727
Posts: 2239
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:40 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:27 pm

I know there are a lot of B6 fans here on a.net, and they do have a nice domestic product the couple times I've flown on them, but I think this is a terrible decision on their part to cross the Atlantic. I just don't think the money will be there.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!
 
User avatar
DLHAM
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:10 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:31 pm

Instead of jumping on already highly served and crowded markets I think JetBlue should make use of the big advantage of their A321s and serve more secondary markets with high demand that are under- or even unserved. This way they have the biggest chance to steal some customers from the big ones because they have a real advantage -- offering a nonstop vs having to connect. Why would travelers with their FQTV status fly another Airline serving the same route but not be able to collect miles to keep their status? They need a good reason to do this.

For example Emirates tried to compete against Continental on the Hamburg to New York market -- and failed. Lufthansa Miles and More status members kept flying via FRA anyway even with two daily "non Star Alliance nonstops", but there were quite some Continental/SkyTeam Status members, Frequenz Flyers on HAM-EWR (but also LH Status frequent flyers) who tried the Emirates flight once. They were absolutely astonished by the amazing product Emirates offered, especially compared to Continentals 757. But they said, as great as it is, they would not want to give up their status so they kept flying their Continental or Lufthansa.

This is why I think that JetBlue could have a hard time getting enough (high yielding) frequent fliers from other Airlines on markets that are crowded with tons of direct competition. Maybe this is the reason they go for STN and LGW, they try to find a niche. Yes, especially STN has been tried and failed soooo often in the last 20 years. Most of these flights were 757s and 767s, a lot of them with all Business Class configurations. A A321neo is so much cheaper to operate, also they most probably only will have like 16 seats in Business. This is how Continental was so sucessful with starting new secondary markets with their 757s 15 years ago, planes that were 30%+ thirstier! Could work! Also because STN partly is a completely different market than LHR.
My Instagram Account: Instagram
 
tphuang
Posts: 5460
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:39 pm

tb727 wrote:
I know there are a lot of B6 fans here on a.net, and they do have a nice domestic product the couple times I've flown on them, but I think this is a terrible decision on their part to cross the Atlantic. I just don't think the money will be there.

I don't think B6 fans would disagree with you that splitting operation up at STN and LGW would be a disaster. I assume this is a backup options until more slots become available.

DY somehow claimed they need more slots at LGW and got granted that. I don't think they will make it to even March.
 
JFKalumni
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:42 pm

I’m surprised everything wasn’t consolidated at LGW. Especially considering the dire situation over at Norwegian. There should be more slot allocations soon.
 
kavok
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:47 pm

I just find it hard to believe that enough LGW slots for the full B6 operation... are too difficult to get right now. I would think there would be some airline out there desperate enough for short term cash that they’d lease a LGW slot to B6 for a few years, which is long enough for B6 to find a more long term solution.

LHR, yes I get it. But LGW? And no, the split LGW/STN operation doesn’t make sense either.
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2696
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:53 pm

airbazar wrote:
I doubt B6 would even try London without LHR. My guess is they are still working on the LHR slots and given the state of the airline industry post-Pandemic those shouldn't be too hard to get. I have always suspected that B6's strategy for London was always LHR+1 or maybe even LHR+2. It makes zero sense for B6 to go into London without LHR.


Pandemic or not, LHR slots are around $75 million dollars. Money that JetBlue doesn't have. JetBlue isn't special. They can hang out LGW like the other US carriers had to do for years.
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5246
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:55 pm

DLHAM wrote:
Instead of jumping on already highly served and crowded markets I think JetBlue should make use of the big advantage of their A321s and serve more secondary markets with high demand that are under- or even unserved. This way they have the biggest chance to steal some customers from the big ones because they have a real advantage -- offering a nonstop vs having to connect. Why would travelers with their FQTV status fly another Airline serving the same route but not be able to collect miles to keep their status? They need a good reason to do this.

For example Emirates tried to compete against Continental on the Hamburg to New York market -- and failed. Lufthansa Miles and More status members kept flying via FRA anyway even with two daily "non Star Alliance nonstops", but there were quite some Continental/SkyTeam Status members, Frequenz Flyers on HAM-EWR (but also LH Status frequent flyers) who tried the Emirates flight once. They were absolutely astonished by the amazing product Emirates offered, especially compared to Continentals 757. But they said, as great as it is, they would not want to give up their status so they kept flying their Continental or Lufthansa.

This is why I think that JetBlue could have a hard time getting enough (high yielding) frequent fliers from other Airlines on markets that are crowded with tons of direct competition. Maybe this is the reason they go for STN and LGW, they try to find a niche. Yes, especially STN has been tried and failed soooo often in the last 20 years. Most of these flights were 757s and 767s, a lot of them with all Business Class configurations. A A321neo is so much cheaper to operate, also they most probably only will have like 16 seats in Business. This is how Continental was so sucessful with starting new secondary markets with their 757s 15 years ago, planes that were 30%+ thirstier! Could work! Also because STN partly is a completely different market than LHR.



I agree 100% they should go into some smaller secondary markets that are underserved while they wait for LHR slots to open up. These airlines are not going back to 100% for a long time and airlines should not be allowed if they just sit on those slots for more than a year without using them.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
gdavis003
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:09 am

I think that BOS-STN will be a miserable failure. Sure, there's plenty of tech out in that area, but that is all they are relying on, especially in a world where business travel is minimal. It's a mixed message. Intending to catch business travel, but STN is primarily a leisure travel based airport with dirt cheap fares (RyanAir, EasyJet, the list goes on). I flew STN-LIS on RyanAir in February because I wanted something cheap. If B6 ends up charging normal fares for a flight into STN, it will fail miserably. Really need to get slots that are not at STN or LTN for this to work. LGW is even somewhat of a stretch
 
marcogr12
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:51 am

CALMSP wrote:
Mikeer50 wrote:
I’m not familiar with the geography of London. Why has LHR historically been the airport everyone wants to get into? I’m assuming it gives the best connection to downtown London? Thanks.


yes, and at least with LGW you do have a good option with the Gatwick Express into central London. STN/LTN are way out. Although, my preference is LCY!!

Airport to Big Ben via rail/subway departing at 10am:
LHR: 34 min.
LTN: 65 min.
LGW: 43 min.
STN: 66 min.
LCY: 31 min.
SEN: 91 min.

Using the Piccadilly line from ..Piccadilly to LHR Terminals 1,2,3 is 55'...Using the freakishly expensive Heathrow Express from Paddington is another story..

I have serious doubts too STN could work..And it s not even N.York we are talking about..LGW is a good 2nd choice..Will DY be there in the summer? Will BA short-haul return or will they stay at LHR? Is Virgin planning to operate JFK route or any route from there? So many slots to be freed if not...
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..
 
catiii
Posts: 3637
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:55 am

CALMSP wrote:
If I'm B6, I'm making a phone call to Korea and see if they want to sell an OZ slot at LHR (not knowing off the top of my head what their slots are)


And if you were B6 and went to BUY a slot pair, you’d blow your business case sky high
 
Aliqiout
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:59 am

WorldFlier wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
But no LHR....


LHR was not going to be likely. Obviously these had to be awarded on the assumption that all the currently suspended operations are going to return.


If a Company is willing to operate flights now, they should be given slots from the largest operator not using the highest % of their slots.

This is clearly anti-competitive actions to protect established players.

Maybe, but I doubt that B6 would be willing to operate to London now either.
 
JBLUA320
Posts: 3086
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 8:51 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:22 am

They want LHR, but they don't need it. LGW will work and Norwegian's Premium yields are proof of it. Norwegian flew up to 3x/daily 789s JFK-LGW and the route's success in the Premium cabin (pre-pandemic of course) was one of the main drivers behind increasing that cabin's capacity on the UK-based 787 fleet to 56. It went full - often - with contracted, corporate, and high value leisure fares averaging well north of $2,000 RT if booked far enough in advance. If an ultra-low-cost carrier that most Americans didn't know could command that price, with a majority point of sale origin of the US, then JetBlue can also command the price it will need, bearing in mind they'll likely have less than half of that Premium that capacity to fill. The problem for the true road warriors will be frequency.

But...given JetBlue will launch a refreshed Mint product on this route, along with existing loyalty to Mint and JetBlue both already quite strong, I don't think JetBlue will have any issue generating sustainable yields. Remember that Mint was designed for high-end leisure, leisure looking to splurge, and small-to-medium business travelers that were priced out of transcon front of cabin seating. The success of the Mint offering beyond that target has allowed JetBlue to compete well on transcon and raise prices, but there's no reason to believe that those initial target segments alone aren't enough to do the job for LGW. Anything extra is gravy - and because Mint is quite popular already, I'm very certain B6 will attract lucrative corporate contracts.

The Gatwick Express is - dare I say - easier than the Heathrow Express, although tube connectivity once in London varies between the two. By the time you get to the Heathrow Express, the journey may be slightly faster, but let's not forget that from most parts of LHR, the travel time just to that station is an epic haul in and of itself!

Now, STN on the other hand...
Last edited by JBLUA320 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2038
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:29 am

While others mostly NON US airlines have Failed US-STN. B6 has a bigger US catchment to feed the BOS-STN.
The northeast alone has a high community college Backpacker that love JetBlue. I'm sure it will be fine at 138 seat capacity.
B6 is bringing in a cheaper LCC business Mint class at none Business prices. This should help feed the revenue.
Everyone said Mint would fail fighting the legacies from NY and BOS. They have proven everyone wrong so far.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 2966
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:38 am

B6 to STN but not LTN?
IMHO, B6 would be more akin U2 (LTN) than FR (STN).
Another thing, for an airline starting a new route, consolidating operations in just one airport rather than flying to two in the same city seems to be a good idea.
I'm not on CM's payroll.
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3346
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: JetBlue Secures Slots For BOS-STN, JFK-LGW

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:46 am

wonder if they would partner up with U2 to increase their footprint beyond London?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos