Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CX747

Re: Peak Season 2020 Cargo/Express Discussion Thread

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:11 am

Weekend is almost over but did it ever begin for the ragtag bunch of 747s operating for Aerotranscargo?

ER-BAJ: NQZ-??? Westbound out of home plate. Visited HKG today, returned to NQZ and is now over Russia, bound for Europe.

ER-BAM: NQZ-??? Roll Tide is Eastbound out of frigid Kazakhstan. Pulled a NQZ-EBMB-NQZ since we last checked in.

ER-BBB: Yep...NQZ still.

ER-BBC: Out of Hong Kong, Westbound at 30,100ft and 509kts. Pulled quite a trek of FRA-NQZ-HKG during the past 24hrs.

ER-BBJ: The Upper Crust Society, Factory Made, Only Nose Loading 747 of the bunch is nipping at the heels of ER-BAJ headed West bound for Europe also. The Blue Blooded Jet pulled a NQZ-KHN-NQZ but was several hours late when leaving the gate for KHN.

ER-JAI & ER-BAC: MRO and cocktails at CGK for peak 2020!!!

ER-BAG: The red headed step child, operating for Terra Avia has just blasted out of GYD Eastbound. It is cooking along at 33K and 600+ kts.

National Cargo 747-400
N756CA: Still waiting to play for someone at SDF.

Western Global 747-400
N344KD: Still at SHV getting looked at.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

travaz

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:33 am

I noticed the Boyle and Fed Ex truck were refers and the UPS truck was a dry van (non-Reefer). My son drives a reefer and He often hauls frozen food and other items at -20 F. I would guess the colder the trailer is the longer the vaccine would keep cold.

jreeves96

Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:31 am

So FedEx answered one of my questions today.

I was curious on how the vaccine was going to be shipped in smaller quantities. FedEx brought a few of the boxes into the load planning office I was working in today. Seems as if SoftBox has a cardboard box that has dry ice in and UN3481 lithium batteries. I'm assuming the batteries are a fan to circulate the air. Boxes are a decent size. UPS posted a picture on their Instagram of a container filled with the same boxes. Not sure how many doses each box holds, but we only sent one box on the GEG flight. (That I know of) The boxes also had impact detectors so I'm curious to know what happens if one of those is red. I'm sure Pfizer is paying more than a little money for these extremely urgent, almost custom critical shipments

Also read an article that the shipments coming out of the Michigan plant had US Marshal service. Thought that was kinda cool.

gdavis003

Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:52 am

jreeves96 wrote:
So FedEx answered one of my questions today.

I was curious on how the vaccine was going to be shipped in smaller quantities. FedEx brought a few of the boxes into the load planning office I was working in today. Seems as if SoftBox has a cardboard box that has dry ice in and UN3481 lithium batteries. I'm assuming the batteries are a fan to circulate the air. Boxes are a decent size. UPS posted a picture on their Instagram of a container filled with the same boxes. Not sure how many doses each box holds, but we only sent one box on the GEG flight. (That I know of) The boxes also had impact detectors so I'm curious to know what happens if one of those is red. I'm sure Pfizer is paying more than a little money for these extremely urgent, almost custom critical shipments

Also read an article that the shipments coming out of the Michigan plant had US Marshal service. Thought that was kinda cool.

If we’re thinking of the same box, which I think we are, it holds 975 vials, which contain 5 doses per vial. So, almost 5000 doses in one box, which weighs about 80 pounds, 50 of that being dry ice

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:13 am

travaz wrote:
I noticed the Boyle and Fed Ex truck were refers and the UPS truck was a dry van (non-Reefer). My son drives a reefer and He often hauls frozen food and other items at -20 F. I would guess the colder the trailer is the longer the vaccine would keep cold.

That's a good observation. Given that they're packed to be independently-cold, I guess it's for extra protection. Even if they were just going to the airport.

The expertise on this forum is remarkable. I'm really enjoying all the knowledgeable posts on this stuff!

747classic

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:01 am

747classic wrote:
Just received a PM from one of our A-net members :
Delivery of N625UP is pushed forward from December 17th to next monday (December 14th), hopefully no snags are found during the upcoming customer acceptance flights (this weekend ?)

After two customer acceptance flights on Friday and Saturday, a flight plan has been filed for the delivery flight of N625UP, the next UPS 747-8F, at December 14th to join the peak season in a few days.
See : https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UPS ... /KPAE/KSDF
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

HPRamper

Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:49 am

We had some come in to the Seattle ramp last night and has been trucked to the stations for morning delivery. This is moving very quickly. This coming week will be the busiest peak shipping time, this is going to be fun.

tjwgrr

Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:44 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
FX’s closest operation to Pfizer’s facility in Kalamazoo is in GRR, and indeed, it does look like there’s a one off A300 flight tomorrow morning from GRR to MEM: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX ... /KGRR/KMEM
Will be very interested to see whether any dedicated vaccine cargo flights persist on the FX end of things, as it’s a much longer haul by road from Michigan to Memphis than it is to SDF. GRR might see some serious increases in FX volume or it might not, who knows

Local article with an embedded Twitter video of FDX884 departure from GRR yesterday

https://www.fox17online.com/news/corona ... al-airport
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:33 pm

Both SkyLease 744-factory-Fs are on the way this morning (Monday 12/14) to SDF (from MIA and LAX) to join the fun. N903AR and N904AR.

On Sunday, Skybus DC8-73CF OB-2059-P did a round-trip MIA-PTY. Nothing yet today.

usairways85

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:59 pm

Two Western Global MD11s and one 744 flying ONT-PHL today

frmrCapCadet

Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:35 pm

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/News/Ar ... ve-monday/

A statement from General Perna on vaccines and deliveries. Later today I will post on the vaccine delivery thread with at least a few links, along with my comments about how and why the military often gets charged with this sort of civilian enterprise. The system works pretty well.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:57 pm

IFL's 727-200F N216WE flew to SDF this morning from its base at PTK, where it was getting some maintenance. Looks like she'll be assisting in Peak, as had been reported. The other two currently aren't moving, although N215WE is in MEM.

As far as the Kalitta Charters 727-200Fs go, N724CK continues on DHL, N726CK is running for Amerijet (brief diversion to STI after takeoff from SDQ for MIA, but back in business), and N729CK is at MIA since Saturday, probably being fixed: given the volume they have been doing, they seem to run hard when they're working. Bonus 737-300 N331CK continues actively island-hopping for I think IBC.

Skybus DC8-73CF has been doing around one round-trip per day. Nothing yet today, but the day is young.

Longtail 744s: After leaving JFK on Sunday, VQ-BWS (the Cathay-ish-livery one) flew JFK-MST-LGG-EMA-NVI and is now almost to PVG. VQ-BWT flew SDF-ANC-HKG and is now at ICN.

WGN 744 N344KD still at SHV after its abortive attempt to escape about 345am on Saturday morning. 356KD is at ONT, and probably will fly for UPS. 258SN is still doing US-Asia. MD11 N581JN, which was flying like crazy for FedEx last week, has been in MEM for about 24 hours. We'll see what she does next. Nothing overly-remarkable about the rest of the fleet.

National's 5th 744, N729CA, is still in maint at SAT; was hoping to see her out of there by now. Maybe she's being painted.

N395AN, the next CAM conversion, is now in SNN on the way back to the US.

Interesting: N752CX, an ATI 757 combi normally used on military, flew, apparently for DHL, from CVG to DTW early this morning. I suspected she might contribute her 10-pallet hauling capability to DHL Peak at some point, as she did earlier this year. And it seems she has. One of the other 3 combis is in maint at TPA, and the other two are flying military today.

Also looks like ABX Air's 767-200 N797AX ferried to SDF today. I know that one of 740AX and/or 742AX was supposed to fly for UPS; don't know if this is supplementary or coverage; I guess we will see today/tonight.

That's it for now.

A380MSN004

Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:08 pm

wjcandee wrote:
IFL's 727-200F N216WE flew to SDF this morning from its base at PTK, where it was getting some maintenance. Looks like she'll be assisting in Peak, as had been reported. The other two currently aren't moving, although N215WE is in MEM.

As far as the Kalitta Charters 727-200Fs go, N724CK continues on DHL, N726CK is running for Amerijet (brief diversion to STI after takeoff from SDQ for MIA, but back in business), and N729CK is at MIA since Saturday, probably being fixed: given the volume they have been doing, they seem to run hard when they're working. Bonus 737-300 N331CK continues actively island-hopping for I think IBC.

Skybus DC8-73CF has been doing around one round-trip per day. Nothing yet today, but the day is young.

Longtail 744s: After leaving JFK on Sunday, VQ-BWS (the Cathay-ish-livery one) flew JFK-MST-LGG-EMA-NVI and is now almost to PVG. VQ-BWT flew SDF-ANC-HKG and is now at ICN.

WGN 744 N344KD still at SHV after its abortive attempt to escape about 345am on Saturday morning. 356KD is at ONT, and probably will fly for UPS. 258SN is still doing US-Asia. MD11 N581JN, which was flying like crazy for FedEx last week, has been in MEM for about 24 hours. We'll see what she does next. Nothing overly-remarkable about the rest of the fleet.

National's 5th 744, N729CA, is still in maint at SAT; was hoping to see her out of there by now. Maybe she's being painted.

Interesting: N752CX, an ATI 757 combi normally used on military, flew, apparently for DHL, from CVG to DTW early this morning. I suspected she might contribute her 10-pallet hauling capability to DHL Peak at some point, as she did earlier this year. And it seems she has. One of the other 3 combis is in maint at TPA, and the other two are flying military today.

Also looks like ABX Air's 767-200 N797AX ferried to SDF today. I know that one of 740AX and/or 742AX was supposed to fly for UPS; don't know if this is supplementary or coverage; I guess we will see today/tonight.

That's it for now.

Question : Does the ABX 762s are originally B762ERs or B762s?

mcg

Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:15 pm

This thread makes me wish a.net still had the float your cursor over the airport code to learn what the name of the airport is feature.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:32 pm

mcg wrote:
This thread makes me wish a.net still had the float your cursor over the airport code to learn what the name of the airport is feature.

I know. Sometimes, I have added a parenthetical like the country or whatever. I will try to do that more. For most folks, JFK-Maastricht Belgium-Liege Belgium-East Midlands England-Navoi Uzbekistan-Shanghai is more informative than JFK-MST-LGG-EMA-NVI-PVG, although a lot of us know EMA and PVG, and maybe LGG.

We were all disciplined into using the codes, under pain of death, in the earlier version of A.net, precisely because if you didn't know the code (horrors!), you could put the cursor on it. Now, the codes are easy for many people in the business, but harder for others. And there aren't a lot of people, even in the business, who are going to know where NVI is, or even what country Navoi is in, even if they generally have an idea where Uzbekistan is just because it's a "Stan".

treebeard787

Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:51 pm

Kalitta Air (CKS) has 3 747s operating SDF-PHX today for UPS. I'd expect a similar schedule to this to continue up until Christmas.
Allons-y!

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:53 am

A380MSN004 wrote:

I believe that they are all non-ER 767-200s. I say this because they are some of the first 767s ever built. One has a single-digit line number (N740AN is LN6), and almost all have double-digit line numbers. Except for one, they were delivered 35 or more years ago. All originally were delivered to either DL or ANA. Hope this helps.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:58 am

wjcandee wrote:

As an update, N216WE flew SDF-RIV today and is about to return. I love the name of the IFL company that flies the 727s, "Gulf and Caribbean Cargo". We say, "IFL", but Gulf and Caribbean Cargo is the actual operator. And they're owned by International Trading Company of Yukon, Inc. So exotic. Makes me smile every time I see those names on the flight reports.

gdavis003

Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:24 am

wjcandee wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

As an update, N216WE flew SDF-RIV today and is about to return. I love the name of the IFL company that flies the 727s, "Gulf and Caribbean Cargo". We say, "IFL", but Gulf and Caribbean Cargo is the actual operator. And they're owned by International Trading Company of Yukon, Inc. So exotic. Makes me smile every time I see those names on the flight reports.

And to add to that, they're one of the very few CRJ200F operators, which I've always found to be pretty interesting. I think those mostly run automobile charters though, maybe a little bit of UPS feeder work as well IIRC. One hell of a sight to see a CRJ200F. The pax one Is gross, but I can kind of dig the freighter version of it. https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9082138

jreeves96

Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:39 am

[quote="wjcandee"]IFL's 727-200F N216WE flew to SDF this morning from its base at PTK, where it was getting some maintenance. Looks like she'll be assisting in Peak, as had been reported. The other two currently aren't moving, although N215WE is in MEM./quote]

I've been noticing one of IFL's 727s comes in during the morning after the FedEx push. Would sometimes come from Little Rock and sometimes Louisville. Couldn't tell if it was going to the UPS ramp or the general cargo ramp beside UPS. I was assuming it was a car parts charter as I'm unfamiliar with what's around Memphis.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:54 am

jreeves96 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
IFL's 727-200F N216WE flew to SDF this morning from its base at PTK, where it was getting some maintenance. Looks like she'll be assisting in Peak, as had been reported. The other two currently aren't moving, although N215WE is in MEM./quote]

I've been noticing one of IFL's 727s comes in during the morning after the FedEx push. Would sometimes come from Little Rock and sometimes Louisville. Couldn't tell if it was going to the UPS ramp or the general cargo ramp beside UPS. I was assuming it was a car parts charter as I'm unfamiliar with what's around Memphis.

It's Peak for UPS, I believe, flying MEM-SDF-LIT-MEM. N215WE has been doing it since 12/1/20 on weekdays.

CX747

Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:58 am

wjcandee wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Any report on 727s should make one smile. From a beauty standpoint they put the 737 and A320 families to shame!!!
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:03 am

CX747 wrote:
Any report on 727s should make one smile. From a beauty standpoint they put the 737 and A320 families to shame!!!

Agreed. Gorgeous. To me, they are what the word "Jet" calls to mind.

CX747

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:25 am

Monday closes its books. Let's check in on our Kazakhstan based Europe, Middle East & Far East trotting 747s of Aerotranscargo. The temperature on the ground is 14 degrees Farenheit.......let that sink into your bones. Any F/O worth their salt gets a tip of the cap if they asked, "Whose doing the walk around this evening Cap?"

ER-BAJ: EBMB for over 16 hours. Flew an unusual NQZ-BUD-EBMB and now waits.

ER-BAM: Roll Tide checks in from KHN. Similar to BAJ, Roll Tide has sat for a while.

ER-BBB: NQZ dreaming

ER-BBC: HHN. Logged in a HKG-NQZ-HHN 24 hrs.

ER-BBJ: CGO-??? WEST BOUND HOOOOO..The Upper Crust Society, Factory Made, Only Nose Loading 747 of the bunch is just crushing it. As only a Blue Blood Jet could, it is out performing the rest of the fleet. NQZ-LHR-NQZ-CGO-??? for a days work. Gotta believe the temps on the ramp at LHR & CGO beat NQZ.

ER-JAI/ER-BAC: MRO @ CGK

ER-BAG: The long forgotten step brother had an interesting day. GYD-KBL-GYD-XMN.

National Cargo 747
N756CA: Back in a UPS state of mind after just knocking out a SDF-CGN-SDF round trip. Looks set to spread its wings over the Atlantic for Germany again here shortly.

Western Cargo 747
N344KD: Still at SHV for over a week+, with a divert back..on the bright side of things they definitely don't rush on jobs to get lift back into action for peak!

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:46 am

Here's my quick glossary for CX747's excellent post, as always. I really love the international dimension, and his wit.

EBMB = Melsbroek Air Base, Brussels, Belgium

NQZ = A central player in this tale: Nursultan Nazarbayev International Airport near Kazakstan's capital of Nur-Sultan. This is where these aircraft are based, and where the current outside temperature as I write this is -1F, otherwise known as -18C. HELLO, BORAT!

BUD = Budapest, Hungary
KHN = Nanchang Airport in China
HHN = Frankfurt (Hahn) Airport, Gemany
HKG = Hong Kong -- you knew that
LHR = London Heathrow
CGO = Zhengzhou, China
CGK = Jakarta, Indonesia, home of Garuda's very-extensive maintenance operation
GYD = Azerbaijan
KBL = Kabul, Afghanistan
XMN = Xiamen, China

GSOtoIND

Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:50 am

wjcandee wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

I believe that they are all non-ER 767-200s. I say this because they are some of the first 767s ever built. One has a single-digit line number (N740AN is LN6), and almost all have double-digit line numbers. Except for one, they were delivered 35 or more years ago. All originally were delivered to either DL or ANA. Hope this helps.

From what I remember there are no -200ER freighters as nobody has developed an STC for that conversion.

Allee

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:01 am

GSOtoIND wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

From what I remember there are no -200ER freighters as nobody has developed an STC for that conversion.

C-FOIJ and C-FHCP are 767-200ER(BDSF)

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:01 am

wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
I saw the reports today, gleaming trucks and trailers rolling out of the plant for all haulers. Marketing is all over this.

I noticed the same thing. ... I guarantee you that this was worked out down to the driver, in case media stopped him for comment, or filmed him getting in and out of the truck or filmed how he drove/backed-up, etc. No burning rubber, no grinding gears, no smoky startup, no joking around. .

And sure enough, the WSJ ran an article today about a married couple, a driver team, that drove the truck for Boyle. They primarily interviewed the wife, who seemed cool. She and Boyle corporate were all ready with quoteworthy observations. And there's a photo in the article of a female UPS tractor driver hooking up to a Boyle refrigerated trailer at the plant. (Remember, the first day was by air, but it will be by ground to SDF and MEM, apparently, from now on.)

Colorful article. Never explains why Boyle needed a driver team in a sleeper cab to take the trailer less than an hour to the airport, but whatever. And sure enough, they said the couple was specially-selected for this mission "because of their safety record". Okay, sure. That they are responsible people who can do a good interview probably also entered into it.

And they don't really explain why they need refrigerated trailers when the necessary temperature is far below what the trailer can do. I guess it slows the decomposition of the dry ice, but they don't really ever say that. When the Moderna is authorized, then the reefer -- and less packaging -- makes more sense.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaccine-tr ... inor_pos13 (Paywall: I don't know if that Google trick where you find it in a search and then it cuts through the paywall works on this article, though.)

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:06 am

wjcandee wrote:
(N740AN is LN6)

Did I really say that? AX. It's N740AX. Sorry. And FWIW I was talking about the ABX Air 767-200BDSFs, which is what the original questioner asked about, not about all 762 conversions.

justplanesmart

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:08 am

GSOtoIND wrote:

There are certainly 767-200ER frames that have been converted to freighter configuration. 21 Air, AeroUnion, and Cargojet all operate some.
"So many planes; so little time..."

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:08 am

Allee wrote:

Allee, by the way, always knows what he's talking about. These two recent conversions by IAI for Cargojet used 20-year-old ex-Continental 767-200ERs.

GSOtoIND

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:15 am

Allee wrote:
GSOtoIND wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Whoops! My memory fails me again. Thanks for correcting me. I must be thinking of the non ER 763s. It's past my bedtime!

CoThG

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:35 am

GSOtoIND wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

You are wrong. The five ex-TWA -231ERs that ABX bought were.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:39 am

CoThG wrote:
GSOtoIND wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

You make a good point that the pre-DHL ABX fleet, really the former Airborne Express 767 fleet, of course included many more aircraft and wasn't limited to the ex-DL and ex-ANA 767-200 aircraft that are left at ABX.. The 5 ex-TWA aircraft, which have JT9Ds, were "put" to DHL by ABX in accordance with their agreement, and DHL pulled them from ABX and sent them (and 4 others) to Atlas to operate. Whether they follow the GE-engined ones over to Amerijet, we will see. Frankly, I would hope to see them come back to ABX, rather than go to Amerijet, if DHL is looking to move them from Atlas.

CoThG

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:34 am

wjcandee wrote:
CoThG wrote:
GSOtoIND wrote:

You make a good point that the pre-DHL ABX fleet, really the former Airborne Express 767 fleet, of course included many more aircraft and wasn't limited to the ex-DL and ex-ANA 767-200 aircraft that are left at ABX.. The 5 ex-TWA aircraft, which have JT9Ds, were "put" to DHL by ABX in accordance with their agreement, and DHL pulled them from ABX and sent them (and 4 others) to Atlas to operate. Whether they follow the GE-engined ones over to Amerijet, we will see. Frankly, I would hope to see them come back to ABX, rather than go to Amerijet, if DHL is looking to move them from Atlas.

Those -231ERs were junk when ABX had them and Atlas can't wait to get rid of them. Amerijet would be a fitting operator for them to go to.

Harvestman

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:10 am

Forgot to mention that N372CM is down for heavy engine-related maintenance at CVG. Not an engine replacement, I don't think, but something very critical.
There was also an Atlas 747 undergoing flap-related maintenance earlier (hydraulics?) but I believe it was able to head out on its own this evening.
The cracks are starting to show a little more quickly than usual this year. DHL is set to break the current 3rd-shift piece count record at some point during Peak. And that's with several system upgrades either going in or having very recently been completed.

HPRamper

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:17 am

Kalitta will be operating a 744 SEA-MEM daily now through peak. Originally the flight schedule showed ANC-SEA-MEM but last night it operated in MEM-SEA, so we will see how that pans out. Currently parked adjacent to the FedEx ramp, but moving pure postal product.

usairways85

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:24 pm

12/15
Kalitta Air
BWI-PHL-ONT
PHX-PHL-SDF

Western Global
MD11
ONT-PHL-DTW
RFD-PHL-SDF
DFW-PHL

ILNFlyer

Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:08 pm

wjcandee wrote:

That's it for now.

wow great update thank you.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Harvestman wrote:
The cracks are starting to show a little more quickly than usual this year. DHL is set to break the current 3rd-shift piece count record at some point during Peak. And that's with several system upgrades either going in or having very recently been completed.

They're also flying with no net to a greater extent than usual this year. On the ATSG side, everything seems to be committed. All the non-Amazon 767s at ATI are running for DHL or UPS, and even one of the (normally-military) 757 combis is on DHL. At ABX, they're running some premier international routes for DHL, and the non-Amazon 762s are fully-committed. 742AX (the Astral-livery ship), btw, seems to be running 2x daily SDF-ICT for UPS, while 740AX is now back on DHL. 312AA is on DHL. 767AX is on UPS, RFD-MHR-RFD. 783AX is on DHL. 797AX is on that involved multileg Florida/SDF/PHL route for UPS. So they're not holding anything in reserve; they're just flying them until they break -- and hopefully fixin' em fast!

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Harvestman wrote:
Forgot to mention that N372CM is down for heavy engine-related maintenance at CVG.

She heard you were talking about her and decided to go fly again this morning.

gdavis003

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:03 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Harvestman wrote:

They're also flying with no net to a greater extent than usual this year. On the ATSG side, everything seems to be committed. All the non-Amazon 767s at ATI are running for DHL or UPS, and even one of the (normally-military) 757 combis is on DHL. At ABX, they're running some premier international routes for DHL, and the non-Amazon 762s are fully-committed. 742AX (the Astral-livery ship), btw, seems to be running 2x daily SDF-ICT for UPS, while 740AX is now back on DHL. 312AA is on DHL. 767AX is on UPS, RFD-MHR-RFD. 783AX is on DHL. 797AX is on that involved multileg Florida/SDF/PHL route for UPS. So they're not holding anything in reserve; they're just flying them until they break -- and hopefully fixin' em fast!

Noticed this last night and forgot to mention but 742AX actually ferried from SDF to ICT (Wichita, KS) yesterday and did the normal inbound/outbound shift for ICT last night. Usual flight carrying outbound out of ICT is 5X671, which is usually a 763 or 752 that sometimes makes a stop in SGF (Springfield, MO). Last night, ABX ran the route with 742AX as GB671 (notice any similarities?). We'll see if that continues but thought that was certainly interesting, as it was just covering a normal UPS route as opposed to running an extra peak route.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:49 pm

Harvestman wrote:
The cracks are starting to show a little more quickly than usual this year.

And now the Aloha Cargo 767-300 operated by ATI did an air return to LAX this morning on the way to HNL. N399CM circled for over 3 hours then landed. That's an important bit of lift. Let's hope they get her running well again soon.

gdavis003

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Looks like ATI will be covering for UPS tonight on the outbound shift out of BHM. It's a 762, so I suspect it is our good friend 255CM, who ferried to SDF from CVG earlier today. Aircraft will ferry to BHM in about an hour and a half. Will have to head down to see this and get some pics, haven't seen a 762 here at BHM in a long long time. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ATN ... /KSDF/KBHM

CX747

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Do we have any reporting on the current Peak metal that has been brought in by UPS and FEDEX and where they are flying? I know FEDEX has a standing contract with Atlas for multiple 747s.

WolfPDX

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:08 pm

CX747 wrote:
Do we have any reporting on the current Peak metal that has been brought in by UPS and FEDEX and where they are flying? I know FEDEX has a standing contract with Atlas for multiple 747s.

I know sky lease is working with ups. One of their 744s did a SDF-PDX-SDF yesterday and should be doing this for the next week to week and half.

sunking737

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:14 pm

Connie is sending a 747 to MSP-SDF-MSP for about a week starting soon. 2 X a day
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

N965UW

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:29 pm

WolfPDX wrote:
CX747 wrote:

I know sky lease is working with ups. One of their 744s did a SDF-PDX-SDF yesterday and should be doing this for the next week to week and half.

Looks like 903AR has been retasked. It's been doing JFK-ANC-CSX and JFK-MIA (I think for DHL?) until this past weekend. Stopped in LIM and BOG on Sunday before heading to SDF via MIA to work with UPS.
You can always go around

treebeard787

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:33 pm

CX747 wrote:

I know that Kalitta is flying multiple 747s for UPS currently. Atlas, Western Global, and SkyLease are also all operating flights on behalf of UPS. I don't know the exact number of aircraft committed to peak flying.

Kalitta are flying SDF-PHX, ONT-PHX, PHX-PHL, PHX-SDF, and PHX-ONT. They operated 4 747 SDF-PHX flights yesterday and early this morning, and one turn to ONT and PHL.
Allons-y!

A380MSN004

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:45 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Allee wrote:

Allee, by the way, always knows what he's talking about. These two recent conversions by IAI for Cargojet used 20-year-old ex-Continental 767-200ERs.

Wow C-FOIJ has been converted & delivered last April (2020). I thought cargo carriers were focusing only on the -300ERs versions.
What makes a cargo carrier to choose the -200ER variant for a conversion? Lack of -300ERs available?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos