wjcandee
Topic Author

Re: Peak Season 2020 Cargo/Express Discussion Thread

Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:41 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Allee wrote:
C-FOIJ and C-FHCP are 767-200ER(BDSF)

Allee, by the way, always knows what he's talking about. These two recent conversions by IAI for Cargojet used 20-year-old ex-Continental 767-200ERs.

Wow C-FOIJ has been converted & delivered last April (2020). I thought cargo carriers were focusing only on the -300ERs versions.
What makes a cargo carrier to choose the -200ER variant for a conversion? Lack of -300ERs available?

I asked the same question at the time. What I heard, in essence, is that Cargojet has missions where that's the right aircraft. I guess you can't argue with that. And you can't argue with the very-young age and cycles on a frame like that, which was probably available at a favorable price.

N27UADIESEL8

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:00 am

N965UW wrote:
WolfPDX wrote:
CX747 wrote:
Do we have any reporting on the current Peak metal that has been brought in by UPS and FEDEX and where they are flying? I know FEDEX has a standing contract with Atlas for multiple 747s.

I know sky lease is working with ups. One of their 744s did a SDF-PDX-SDF yesterday and should be doing this for the next week to week and half.

Looks like 903AR has been retasked. It's been doing JFK-ANC-CSX and JFK-MIA (I think for DHL?) until this past weekend. Stopped in LIM and BOG on Sunday before heading to SDF via MIA to work with UPS.

Skylease is not flying for DHL, at least not out of MIA.
Fine Air flight 101 never again..............

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:52 am

N27UADIESEL8 wrote:
Skylease is not flying for DHL, at least not out of MIA.

They have some year-round customers with trips to/from South America. That turn was likely one of those that they took care of before going up to fly for UPS.

GSOtoIND

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:54 am

WolfPDX wrote:
CX747 wrote:
Do we have any reporting on the current Peak metal that has been brought in by UPS and FEDEX and where they are flying? I know FEDEX has a standing contract with Atlas for multiple 747s.

I know sky lease is working with ups. One of their 744s did a SDF-PDX-SDF yesterday and should be doing this for the next week to week and half.

Slightly OT, but does anyone know the story of the titles/logo 903AR has on the port side? I assume they were applied for a former lessee, but I haven't seen any info about them. Her sister, 904AR, is still in the old Centurion colors.

Spacepope

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:02 am

GSOtoIND wrote:
WolfPDX wrote:
CX747 wrote:

Slightly OT, but does anyone know the story of the titles/logo 903AR has on the port side? I assume they were applied for a former lessee, but I haven't seen any info about them. Her sister, 904AR, is still in the old Centurion colors.

IIRC it had something to do with a contract they had to haul seafood from Canada to China. The one that they wrote off (N908AR) was on that duty and carried the same titles.

The last of the famous international playboys

gdavis003

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:34 am

Spacepope wrote:
GSOtoIND wrote:
WolfPDX wrote:

IIRC it had something to do with a contract they had to haul seafood from Canada to China. The one that they wrote off (N908AR) was on that duty and carried the same titles.

There’s a good explanation in the caption on this pic. Means “having fish every year” it seems. Neat stuff
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9074102

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:47 am

GSOtoIND wrote:
\does anyone know the story of the titles/logo 903AR has on the port side?

Sky Lease had/has a contract with a Chinese importer to bring Lobster from Halifax to Changsha (CSX). Changsha Huanghua International Airport. Changsha is the capital of Hunan Province. Prior to Sky Lease serving it, CSX apparently hadn't had 747 service.

The first aircraft painted this way and used on the run (N908AR) had a runway excursion at Halifax at some point while serving the route, and was written off. Sky Lease then brought back N903AR into service for the route. (Remember two years ago when everybody was parking 747-400Fs? Crazy, right?)

The first flight brought in 90 TONS of lobster. People were happy. The plane got a water-cannon salute.

This is a pretty-cool contract, because there is more freight coming FROM China than TO China by air, so it's nice to get a load in that direction.

Sky Lease still serves Changsha. And I have seen some 747 flights from Halifax-ANC-CSX on Sky Lease and other airlines in the not-so-distant past. I'm sure that Sky Lease gets coverage for that flight when it can't run it. In very-recent times, I haven't seen it. BUT, I don't know when the periods of legal lobster fishing run in Canada that would dock at Halifiax, so doubtless there are times when there is nothing to send. I do know that in general terms, lobster is caught primarily from June thru December, but also at other times in lower quantities; I also know that each area of Canada has specific rules on its lobster season(s), from 8 weeks to 8 months per year, and I never researched what the rules are as regards boats that dock in Halifax. Suffice it to say that there probably is an off-season in this contract.

The writing on the side says, in rudimentary translation: Eat (or "Have") Fish Every Year.

Because Chinese is a language with a lot of context and inference from the symbols, I wonder (and have no clue whether this is correct), whether in English we might actually say "Eat Fish All Year", which would make sense in the context of bringing Lobster from abroad to serve when it might be less-available in China. As in "This aircraft lets you eat fish all year" [or "year-round"]. Or lets you "have fish all year".

In China, folks just naturally infer a lot, and in English, "Eat Fish All Year" is an imperative form of expression: it's a command or a suggestion. The symbols don't require one to interpret them that way. I personally think (with zero confirmation) that the intent here is to say something like, "We let you eat fish all year." or "With us, you can eat fish all year" or "This is so you can eat fish all year." You get the idea. It's the Eat Fish All Year plane (or Have Fish All Year plane). Not eat fish "every" year, which would mean "annually" or "once a year", and that's plainly not the intent. (If you have to read it as "every" and not "all", then it's "every part of" the year.)

Now you see why native Chinese trying to write instructions for their products in English find it so challenging: English has a lot of specificity about stuff that the Chinese just understand without needing to have it all spelled out like we do.

I did see another suggestion that there's a kind of dual-meaning to the symbols, in that "Fish" also can be used to mean "Wealth" (like, say, we use "cheese" or "cheddar", although it's less-slang there than here), and kind of connotes "Have Wealth All Year", a positive secondary message.

So there you have it, to the best of my ability.
Last edited by wjcandee on Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spacepope

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:14 am

gdavis003 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
GSOtoIND wrote:

There’s a good explanation in the caption on this pic. Means “having fish every year” it seems. Neat stuff
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9074102

Yes but the mods here really frown on linking to that forbidden website

USAirKid

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:25 am

wjcandee wrote:
And they don't really explain why they need refrigerated trailers when the necessary temperature is far below what the trailer can do. I guess it slows the decomposition of the dry ice, but they don't really ever say that. When the Moderna is authorized, then the reefer -- and less packaging -- makes more sense.

Likely two reasons for this:
1. You'll want to keep the moisture level in the air controlled. Even though the dry ice will keep things cold, it'll also cool the container around it, which if there is moisture in the air will cause condensation on the container, which depending on the composition of the container could cause an issue.
2. Dry ice as it sublimates releases carbon dioxide, which will displace oxygen. I'd be the reefer is set to circulate in outside air, which will vent the CO2 outside. If you don't do that, it's a possibility that when the trailer is opened up, it'll cause those people inside it to pass out.

It'll also be helpful for the Moderna vaccine to make sure it doesn't get too cold. They'll want to make sure that the temperature swings aren't too much.
Source 1
Source 2

wjcandee wrote:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaccine-tr ... inor_pos13 (Paywall: I don't know if that Google trick where you find it in a search and then it cuts through the paywall works on this article, though.)

I was able to open that in a private window without a problem. AFAIK, the Google trick is less likely to work now, although there is the social media trick where if you follow a link from Twitter you'll be more likely to be allowed to read the article. (Tip: Find the twitter account of the article's author.)
Last edited by USAirKid on Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

GSOtoIND

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:25 am

wjcandee wrote:
GSOtoIND wrote:

Sky Lease had/has a contract with a Chinese importer to bring Lobster from Halifax to Changsha (CSX). Changsha Huanghua International Airport. Changsha is the capital of Hunan Province. Prior to Sky Lease serving it, CSX apparently hadn't had 747 service.

The first aircraft painted this way and used on the run (N908AR) had a runway excursion at Halifax at some point while serving the route, and was written off. Sky Lease then brought back N903AR into service for the route. (Remember two years ago when everybody was parking 747-400Fs? Crazy, right?)

The first flight brought in 90 TONS of lobster. People were happy. The plane got a water-cannon salute.

This is a pretty-cool contract, because there is more freight coming FROM China than TO China by air, so it's nice to get a load in that direction.

Sky Lease still serves Changsha. And I have seen some 747 flights from Halifax-ANC-CSX on Sky Lease and other airlines in the not-so-distant past. I'm sure that Sky Lease gets coverage for that flight when it can't run it. In very-recent times, I haven't seen it. BUT, I don't know when the periods of legal lobster fishing run in Canada that would dock at Halifiax, so doubtless there are times when there is nothing to send. I do know that in general terms, lobster is caught primarily from June thru December, but also at other times in lower quantities; I also know that each area of Canada has specific rules on its lobster season(s), from 8 weeks to 8 months per year, and I never researched what the rules are as regards boats that dock in Halifax. Suffice it to say that there probably is an off-season in this contract.

The writing on the side says, in rudimentary translation: Eat Fish Every Year.

Because Chinese is a language with a lot of context and inference from the symbols, I wonder (and have no clue whether this is correct), whether in English we might actually say "Eat Fish All Year", which would make sense in the context of bringing Lobster from abroad to serve when it might be less-available in China. As in "This aircraft lets you eat fish all year" [or "year-round"]. In China, folks just naturally infer a lot, and in English, "Eat Fish All Year" is an imperative form of expression: it's a command or a suggestion. The symbols don't require one to interpret them that way. I personally think (with zero confirmation) that the intent here is to say something like, "We let you eat fish all year." or "With us, you can eat fish all year" or "This is so you can eat fish all year." You get the idea. It's the Eat Fish All Year plane. Not eat fish "every" year, which would mean "annually" or "once a year", and that's plainly not the intent. (If you have to read it as "every" and not "all", then it's "every part of" the year.)

Now you see why native Chinese trying to write instructions for their products in English find it so challenging: English has a lot of specificity about stuff that the Chinese just understand without needing to have it all spelled out like we do.

I did see another suggestion that there's a kind of dual-meaning to the symbols, in that "Fish" also can be used to mean "Wealth" (like, say, we use "cheese" or "cheddar", although it's less-slang there than here), and kind of connotes "Have Wealth All Year", a positive secondary message.

Very neat! Some photo captions mentioned hauling seafood but didn't know how important that flying was to the airline.

On translation, I had a thought during dinner of pointing my phone at my monitor and having Bixby sort it out, but "eat fish all year" seems like one of those translations you'd ignore as unintelligible, like the sort of thing one would get a tattoo of thinking it was an inspirational phrase. Long story short: translation is hard, and I reckon the internet makes the problem worse because it makes it easier for people to get a bad translation. Thanks gang.

USAirKid

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:37 am

wjcandee wrote:
Colorful article. Never explains why Boyle needed a driver team in a sleeper cab to take the trailer less than an hour to the airport, but whatever. And sure enough, they said the couple was specially-selected for this mission "because of their safety record". Okay, sure. That they are responsible people who can do a good interview probably also entered into it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaccine-tr ... inor_pos13 (Paywall: I don't know if that Google trick where you find it in a search and then it cuts through the paywall works on this article, though.)

It does mention why they have a team to take the trailer to the airport: security. In this case they're moving the load 90 minutes so there are no stops. But if you're going further you'll need to make a stop or two, even if you're not stopping for hours of service reasons. I'm sure the requirement here is that if they stop for any reason that one driver stays with the load while the other goes in to take care of business. If you're going to require two drivers for security, you might as well have a sleeper cab so one driver can drive while the other sleeps, allowing you to move the trailer almost continually.

Another tidbit from the article:
Defense Department officials involved in planning distribution of the Covid-19 vaccines said there is sufficient U.S. commercial transportation capacity for the rollout and there should be no need for extra military equipment or personnel.

It looks like this'll stay clearly to the commercial carriers. I doubt we'll see civil air patrol or any other military unit transport the vaccine for civilians.

CX747

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:59 am

Tuesday is gone with the wind. Time to check in with our roudy bunch of 747-400s flying for Aerotranscargo...

ER-BAJ: KHN...Quietly plugged away a EBMB-NQZ-KHN journey in the last 24.

ER-BAM: SJW after quite a run. Like a good running back, Roll Tide trucked along over the past 24hrs. KHN-NQZ-LGG-NQZ-SJW.

ER-BBB: NQZ Lights Out

ER-BBC: HKG-???...Westbound at 32,100ft/542kts

ER-BBJ: The Upper Crust Society, Factory Built, Only Nose Loading 747 of the bunch currently rests in the Spanish Countryside at ZAZ. Worked a CGO-NQZ-ZAZ and awaits its next mission....Fun fact, Aerotranscargo attempted to buy 2 more factory built 747s (Ex Air Bridge) in the last few months but lost out to ASL in a bidding war. The two jets in question are now OE-IFK & OE-IFM.

ER-JAI: MRO at CGK

ER-BAC: Blasted out of CGK earlier breaking up the MRO party with JAI.... hauled Northbound into China landing at URC on behalf of Terra Avia once again. This jet is a paxargo so it should be fun to watch.

ER-BAG: No longer solo at Terra Avia, BAG operated sectors of XMN-GYD-KWI-GYD today.

National Airlines 747-400
N756CA: Settled back into a wonderfully festive Christmas route of SDF-CGN-SDF for UPS. Sits awaiting the next Eastbound trek across the Atlantic later this evening......747-Check, SDF-CGN Routing-Check, non UPS 747 running and gunning it...Wonder what the Union boys at UPS with 747 type ratings think about passing up on additional 747-8Fs.......

Western Cargo 747-400
N344KD: The kid continues to be down and out in SHV.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

gdavis003

Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:22 am

gdavis003 wrote:
Looks like ATI will be covering for UPS tonight on the outbound shift out of BHM. It's a 762, so I suspect it is our good friend 255CM, who ferried to SDF from CVG earlier today. Aircraft will ferry to BHM in about an hour and a half. Will have to head down to see this and get some pics, haven't seen a 762 here at BHM in a long long time. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ATN ... /KSDF/KBHM

Was able to go down to the field tonight to get some very dark pictures of 255CM arriving in BHM. Can't remember the last time ATI was here or even a 762. Awesome to see these older frames running at the pace they currently are. https://twitter.com/georgedavis003/stat ... 84066?s=20

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:59 am

gdavis003 wrote:
Was able to go down to the field tonight to get some very dark pictures of 255CM arriving in BHM.

Great job! I enjoyed the photos. She looks good.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:03 am

CX747 wrote:
ER-BAC: This jet is a paxargo so it should be fun to watch.

Explains why she still has windows...

I really do enjoy your posts every night, reporting on this assemblage of interesting frames, flying to exotic locales so far away from here. It's great to pull up photos of these aircraft. Those entrepreneurs just threw them in the air and started flying.

mcg

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:18 am

wjcandee wrote:
Here's my quick glossary for CX747's excellent post, as always. I really love the international dimension, and his wit.

EBMB = Melsbroek Air Base, Brussels, Belgium

NQZ = A central player in this tale: Nursultan Nazarbayev International Airport near Kazakstan's capital of Nur-Sultan. This is where these aircraft are based, and where the current outside temperature as I write this is -1F, otherwise known as -18C. HELLO, BORAT!

BUD = Budapest, Hungary
KHN = Nanchang Airport in China
HHN = Frankfurt (Hahn) Airport, Gemany
HKG = Hong Kong -- you knew that
LHR = London Heathrow
CGO = Zhengzhou, China
CGK = Jakarta, Indonesia, home of Garuda's very-extensive maintenance operation
GYD = Azerbaijan
KBL = Kabul, Afghanistan
XMN = Xiamen, China

Man, I feel like my cursor is just floating across the screen:)! Thanks!

Now for a real question: WAPO had an article today saying the Postal Service is overwhelmed for a number of reasons (including staffing issues related to covid and I'm just going to guess that daily 12 to 14 hour shifts might be turning away a few workers). One of the key reasons mentioned was that because FedEx and UPS are turning away shipments from shippers who have met or exceeded their quotas, USPS is getting slammed by the overflow (they aren't allowed to turn away packages). So my question is, if USPS, Fedex and UPS are basically at 100%+ of capacity, how is the Amazon delivery system working? My only observation would be that in my community they seemed to have fired up the Uber-like delivery system (folks in their cars dropping packages) which would indicate they are quite busy. Any info appreciated.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:19 am

A picture is worth a thousand words, so If folks don't mind, here are some headshots from the cast of real characters that CX747 is reporting on every night, all flying for Aerotranscargo, all in one place:

ER-BAJ:

ER-BAM ("Roll Tide"):

ER-BBB:

ER-BBC:

ER-BBJ:

ER-JAI:

ER-BAC:

ER-BAG (actually for a sister company):

I think it's just FABULOUS that they have only painted one aircraft in their own livery (which actually looks bold and nice), and left breadcrumbs of history for the rest of us to follow. Figuring out where these aircraft came from shouldn't be hard for anybody on a.net. And that makes it fun.

gdavis003

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:29 am

wjcandee wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
Was able to go down to the field tonight to get some very dark pictures of 255CM arriving in BHM.

Great job! I enjoyed the photos. She looks good.

Appreciate it. Always fun to see an old aircraft like that looking so good. Perfect touch down and a mighty thrust reverser roar. ATC had to instruct the crew to cargo ramp, certainly not a familiar visitor here

classicjets

Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:36 am

wjcandee wrote:
GSOtoIND wrote:

The writing on the side says, in rudimentary translation: Eat (or "Have") Fish Every Year.

Because Chinese is a language with a lot of context and inference from the symbols, I wonder (and have no clue whether this is correct), whether in English we might actually say "Eat Fish All Year", which would make sense in the context of bringing Lobster from abroad to serve when it might be less-available in China. As in "This aircraft lets you eat fish all year" [or "year-round"]. Or lets you "have fish all year".

In China, folks just naturally infer a lot, and in English, "Eat Fish All Year" is an imperative form of expression: it's a command or a suggestion. The symbols don't require one to interpret them that way. I personally think (with zero confirmation) that the intent here is to say something like, "We let you eat fish all year." or "With us, you can eat fish all year" or "This is so you can eat fish all year." You get the idea. It's the Eat Fish All Year plane (or Have Fish All Year plane). Not eat fish "every" year, which would mean "annually" or "once a year", and that's plainly not the intent. (If you have to read it as "every" and not "all", then it's "every part of" the year.)

This is actually a clever play on words. There is a Chinese idiom 年年有余 meaning to have a surplus of something year after year. This is romanized as Nian Nian You Yu. They replaced the last character with 鱼 which means fish and has the same Yu pronunciation. So they created a new idiom related to their fish products with that sounds the same as an established saying. So you could say it's translated as bountiful fish year after year, I guess.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:46 am

classicjets wrote:
This is actually a clever play on words. There is a Chinese idiom 年年有余 meaning to have a surplus of something year after year. This is romanized as Nian Nian You Yu. They replaced the last character with 鱼 which means fish and has the same Yu pronunciation. So they created a new idiom related to their fish products with that sounds the same as an established saying. So you could say it's translated as bountiful fish year after year, I guess.

Thank you for the clearest and most-sensible explanation of this that I have yet seen. Another great A.net post.

HPRamper

Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:40 am

mcg wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Here's my quick glossary for CX747's excellent post, as always. I really love the international dimension, and his wit.

NQZ = A central player in this tale: Nursultan Nazarbayev International Airport near Kazakstan's capital of Nur-Sultan. This is where these aircraft are based, and where the current outside temperature as I write this is -1F, otherwise known as -18C. HELLO, BORAT!

BUD = Budapest, Hungary
LHR = London Heathrow
CGO = Zhengzhou, China
GYD = Azerbaijan
KBL = Kabul, Afghanistan
XMN = Xiamen, China

Now for a real question: WAPO had an article today saying the Postal Service is overwhelmed for a number of reasons (including staffing issues related to covid and I'm just going to guess that daily 12 to 14 hour shifts might be turning away a few workers). One of the key reasons mentioned was that because FedEx and UPS are turning away shipments from shippers who have met or exceeded their quotas, USPS is getting slammed by the overflow (they aren't allowed to turn away packages). So my question is, if USPS, Fedex and UPS are basically at 100%+ of capacity, how is the Amazon delivery system working? My only observation would be that in my community they seemed to have fired up the Uber-like delivery system (folks in their cars dropping packages) which would indicate they are quite busy. Any info appreciated.

Always keep in mind that as the USPS goes, so generally goes FedEx, because of the postal contract. FedEx turns away freight, they go to the USPS, the USPS tenders it back to FedEx (or begs for extra space beyond the allotted matrix). If there is any extra space on the plane, the post office is taking it.

travaz

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:24 pm

mcg wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

BUD = Budapest, Hungary
LHR = London Heathrow
CGO = Zhengzhou, China
GYD = Azerbaijan
KBL = Kabul, Afghanistan
XMN = Xiamen, China

Here is an article from a Trucking Site that is pretty reliable:
http://cdllife.com/2020/truckers-are-be ... look-good/

Truckers are reporting 8 Hour + waits to unload and when they get to the dock they cant be unloaded because there is no room in the warehouse. Also talks about USPS giving freight to Fed Ex and Fed Ex giving it back to USPS. A true cluster.

gdavis003

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:41 pm

mcg wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

BUD = Budapest, Hungary
LHR = London Heathrow
CGO = Zhengzhou, China
GYD = Azerbaijan
KBL = Kabul, Afghanistan
XMN = Xiamen, China

I think there must be some system of priority that Amazon has with USPS. I could be totally wrong, but I say this for two reasons. First, most of my Amazon packages recently have been delivered by USPS, not Amazon vans. During non peak season, it was almost all Amazon vans. Peak season has caused most of my packages to be USPS. The interesting thing is that they’ve all been on time, even with increased volume in BHM, where I am (https://www.al.com/news/2020/12/covid-d ... ffice.html). I know people who have had to wait two weeks for priority mail packages stuck at the downtown BHM warehouse, but Amazon stuff for me has all been on time. Second, I was at my lake house a few weeks back and had an issue with a USPS delivery of a non Amazon package. Two packages were supposed to be delivered that day, an Amazon and non-Amazon. I never have an issue with the delivery of Amazon packages from USPS there but there’s always an issue with delivery of non Amazon packages (UPS and FedEx always work, non amazon USPS presents a problem most times). The Amazon package was delivered that day but not the UPS SurePost one which had been handed off to USPS, and it was a Target package. There is no mailbox at the house, as it’s on a dirt road and it’s not used as a permanent residence. I called the local post office, and they said that the carrier has to deliver Amazon, even if there’s no mailbox, but that I would need to pick up the Target package from the local post office since there’s no mailbox. It’s something about the way the carrier is paid according to the post office. Interesting stuff

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:07 pm

gdavis003: You may know this, but the only thing USPS does for Amazon is last-mile. From the post office to your house. Along with the rest of the mail or, in the holiday season, maybe on a special package run. Amazon takes care of getting the package to the post office nearest to your house, and has a substantial year-round ground network to do that, which they flex upwards significantly in Peak.

Where USPS takes a package end-to-end, it needs line-haul for the middle part. When it needs to go by air to meet its service commitment, this is a mix of reserved space on FedEx and belly freight, which we all know is reduced this year. There are supplemental air networks set up by FedEx (and maybe others) that carry only post-office freight. It's mostly the line-haul component that I think is being strained right now for the postal service.

On the local end, it is interesting about delivery with/without a mailbox. The agreement with Amazon may release the postal service if it delivers without a mailbox (address), and the UPS contract may not. That Workshare (parcel select) program has different flavors, and the major integrators may have different agreements. It is interesting how your one package can be delivered and the other can't though. The thing about SurePost, of course, is that UPS typically drops the thing at the post office off the regular UPS truck sometime in the afternoon, so it is delivered the following day; Amazon gets it there at like 5am, so that it can be delivered that same day.

And, of course, the arrangements between the USPS and local carriers in the really, really rural areas are pretty-unique, so it's entirely-possible that what they told you is completely-correct; Amazon pays for the extra fee of a private rural delivery person, where as UPS does not, or some such.

All this said, Amazon is now the USPS's largest customer (used to be netflix when they sent DVDs to people). They monitor brutally, and management wants to keep them happy. UPS may not push them as hard, so maybe the PO is just prioritizing Amazon unofficially, because the local postmaster doesn't want brain damage. That said, in most places the local USPS folks try really hard to make things work.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by wjcandee on Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spacepope

Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:13 pm

Saw UPS took delivery of it's latest Ex-LH MD-11 recently. It's in SAT right now according to www.skyliner-aviation.de so it will miss the fun of peak.

Based on the other MD-11 that UPS put into service in October from LH, they averaged a touch over 4000 flight hours a year with the original operators (81,000 hours, but only 15,000 cycles).

HPRamper

Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:14 pm

I heard yesterday that after peak, FedEx is actually in agreement with Etihad to purchase the 777F they have had contracted for MEM-STN, plus five new-builds for the 2021 calendar year.

gdavis003

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:05 pm

wjcandee wrote:
gdavis003: You may know this, but the only thing USPS does for Amazon is last-mile. From the post office to your house. Along with the rest of the mail or, in the holiday season, maybe on a special package run. Amazon takes care of getting the package to the post office nearest to your house, and has a substantial year-round ground network to do that, which they flex upwards significantly in Peak.

Where USPS takes a package end-to-end, it needs line-haul for the middle part. When it needs to go by air to meet its service commitment, this is a mix of reserved space on FedEx and belly freight, which we all know is reduced this year. There are supplemental air networks set up by FedEx (and maybe others) that carry only post-office freight. It's mostly the line-haul component that I think is being strained right now for the postal service.

On the local end, it is interesting about delivery with/without a mailbox. The agreement with Amazon may release the postal service if it delivers without a mailbox (address), and the UPS contract may not. That Workshare (parcel select) program has different flavors, and the major integrators may have different agreements. It is interesting how your one package can be delivered and the other can't though. The thing about SurePost, of course, is that UPS typically drops the thing at the post office off the regular UPS truck sometime in the afternoon, so it is delivered the following day; Amazon gets it there at like 5am, so that it can be delivered that same day.

And, of course, the arrangements between the USPS and local carriers in the really, really rural areas are pretty-unique, so it's entirely-possible that what they told you is completely-correct; Amazon pays for the extra fee of a private rural delivery person, where as UPS does not, or some such.

All this said, Amazon is now the USPS's largest customer (used to be netflix when they sent DVDs to people). They monitor brutally, and management wants to keep them happy. UPS may not push them as hard, so maybe the PO is just prioritizing Amazon unofficially, because the local postmaster doesn't want brain damage. That said, in most places the local USPS folks try really hard to make things work.

Hope this helps.

Definitely insightful, thanks. I did know about the last mile arrangement with Amazon and how USPS moves their stuff but hadn't necessarily thought about the last mile agreement in relation to the delays. I do know that my particular post office has been backed up and some people in the area haven't received mail in a few days due to staffing shortages. My carrier at home though is amazing, and he's busting his tail these days. Really appreciate the work that these folks put in.

Regarding the SurePost package, I looked back at the tracking and noticed that they actually transferred it to the USPS in the morning this time, which was odd. All of my SurePost items at home are transferred to the Post Office during the day according to the scans. The difference could be due to any number of reasons, probably due to how much area that UPS facility covers in the more rural area near the lake house as opposed to the city. There were actually two other packages that I didn't receive that were shipped first class with tracking (I think) that the post office would not deliver and told me to come pick up instead due to the mailbox issue. I think your observation regarding the contracting between Amazon and rural carriers is certainly the answer: Amazon pays the rural carriers by the package, and USPS pays them per mailbox so if there's no mailbox, they can't deliver it. That seems like what the worker was explaining to me. I usually just hope that anything I order to the lake (other than items with Amazon) are delivered via FedEx and UPS, as they never seem to have an issue, even without a mailbox. Of course, we are not receiving packages there very often due to it being a vacation house, but when we do order items to there, those two never seem to have issues.

CX747

Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:24 pm

HPRamper wrote:
I heard yesterday that after peak, FedEx is actually in agreement with Etihad to purchase the 777F they have had contracted for MEM-STN, plus five new-builds for the 2021 calendar year.

These are the good pieces of ramp talk that are awesome to learn about. Do we have any idea when the jet would be delivered?
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Spacepope

Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:06 pm

travaz wrote:

Here is an article from a Trucking Site that is pretty reliable:
http://cdllife.com/2020/truckers-are-be ... look-good/

Truckers are reporting 8 Hour + waits to unload and when they get to the dock they cant be unloaded because there is no room in the warehouse. Also talks about USPS giving freight to Fed Ex and Fed Ex giving it back to USPS. A true cluster.

Yeah even locally I saw a USPS uniformed deliveryperson with a 10 foor U-haul box van, and my normal Amazon Ram Van monstrosity has been replaced by a seasonal driver delivering in a Subaru Crosstrek (which if you're splitting off delivery routes in a podunk mountain town, isn't a bad choice in winter).

Locally at COS we're getting an additional inbound tonight from MEM, which then bumps over the hill to DEN in addition to our usual 752 that originates in Grand Junction and stops here on its way to MEM for the evening rush.

amdiesen

Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:07 pm

wjcandee wrote:

Hope this helps....

...adding: The post office receives taxpayer funding (subsidies), despite having real estate holding infrastructure, despite having unfunded pension liabilities. It has always been argued that this represents the barrier to entry as UPS & FedEx have generationally paid to develop. Amazon's contract with USPS is priced below market and likely below cost to provide the service.
Additionally, mail/packages from China/Cambodia to the US is subsidized. A stark example would be to price a reverse shipment; +(realize there is a lot of empty metal flying westward over the pacific).
puzzling over:
1) proper amortization of long-lived assets where costs and revenue are complex, in a technologically evolving environment.
2) the economics of gate real estate

amdiesen

Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:29 pm

CX747 wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

These are the good pieces of ramp talk that are awesome to learn about. Do we have any idea when the jet would be delivered?

What would be interesting is if FedEx and Etihad took the conversation to the next level and derivative mimic the Emirates and Cargolux tie-up.
puzzling over:
1) proper amortization of long-lived assets where costs and revenue are complex, in a technologically evolving environment.

Spacepope

Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 pm

amdiesen wrote:
...adding: The post office receives taxpayer funding (subsidies), despite having real estate holding infrastructure, despite having unfunded pension liabilities. It has always been argued that this represents the barrier to entry as UPS & FedEx have generationally paid to develop. Amazon's contract with USPS is priced below market and likely below cost to provide the service.
Additionally, mail/packages from China/Cambodia to the US is subsidized. A stark example would be to price a reverse shipment; +(realize there is a lot of empty metal flying westward over the pacific).

That's just false about the USPS. Here's a reasonable and level headed summary https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front ... nd-funded/

amdiesen

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:23 am

Spacepope wrote:
amdiesen wrote:

That's just false about the USPS. Here's a reasonable and level headed summary https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front ... nd-funded/

Thank you for the challenge and data, respects to your post and many on this board for constructive confrontations with the objective of flushing out data driven mosaics. Respects to you and the theme of the thread.

To keep within the Peak Season 2020 Cargo Express Discussions one can observer USPS delivering both mail and Amazon packages well into the evening (overtime). An informed US taxpayer simply groans as this is a reminder of "The House of Representatives passed a bill on August 22 to provide $25 billion in additional government funding to the Postal Service." Fedex is not providing peak service for Amazon in 2020 because the FedEx and Amazon were unable to agree on margins to renew their contract. Carol Tome with 5X is telegraphing a tougher stance on "marginal revenue" (aka Amazon) and 5X has been constantly struggling with the dichotomy of meeting their peak service level expectations and peak demand from customers. As cited upthread, certain customers have been waylaid (contractually pre-agreed) this peak. Your appreciated Brookings link does more to support my thesis that USPS is providing Amazon service priced below market and likely below cost in 2020 peak than argue against. Regarding the under-funded/properly-accounted-for pension liability, we (acting as conscious board participants) acknowledge that the issue is off-topic and too complex/opaque unless dedicated to its own thread. My bad for striking a nerve / leading astray; simply a relevant datum supporting my thesis/argument.

<tip hat>

accruing for liabilities is a standard/legitimate accounting practice
"The fundamental problem is that while the USPS generates enough revenue to cover its operating costs, its pension and retiree health care liabilities push its bottom line into the red. The USPS has operated at a loss since 2007."
puzzling over:

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:55 am

amdiesen wrote:
"The fundamental problem is that while the USPS generates enough revenue to cover its operating costs, its pension and retiree health care liabilities push its bottom line into the red. The USPS has operated at a loss since 2007."

In other words, it would be profitable but for the fact that Congress, when spinning it off, burdened it with all the pension and retiree health care liabilities of the previous entity. So it can never make money, ever. But it more than breaks even on an operating basis.

CX747

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:04 am

As Father Winter arrives for real on the North East of the USA Thursday evening..the update on the ragtag group of Aerotranscargo 747-400s begins...

ER-BAJ: LGG...Had a quieter day operating a KHN-NQZ-LGG route.

ER-BAM: Roll Tide upped the game today. Blasted out of China from SJW and routed SJW-LGG-NQZ-EBMB-NQZ. Roll Tide was shutting down at home plate NQZ just a few minutes ago. Interesting that it went direct SJW-LGG, bypassing the usual stop in NQZ.

ER-BBB: NQZ lounging still

ER-BBC: HHN...After a Westbound day of HKG-NQZ-HHN. What do you want more of??? Warm Hong Kong Weather or German Christmas Markets?....

ER-BBJ: The Upper Crust Society, Factory Made, Only Nose Loading 747 in the bunch checks in from 30,000ft and 517kts Westbound out of CGO. Routed ZAZ-NQZ-CGO-??? today.

ER-JAI: Doesn't mind MRO alone in CGK.

ER-BAC: PZU....The paxargo had an interesting day. Climbed out of CGK and headed to URC in Xinjiang, China. Bounced Westbound to KRW in Turkmenistan and then hoofed it South to Sudan at PZU.

ER-BAG: GYD-??? Sat in GYD for most of the past 24hrs and has now headed Southbound at 31,000ft.

National Cargo 747-400
N756CA: Prepping to depart CGN for SDF. Did not depart SDF last night but hung around until mid Thursday morning.

Western Global 747-400
N344KD: Pains me to report the Kid is still grounded at SHV.

USAirKid

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:21 am

wjcandee wrote:
amdiesen wrote:

In other words, it would be profitable but for the fact that Congress, when spinning it off, burdened it with all the pension and retiree health care liabilities of the previous entity. So it can never make money, ever. But it more than breaks even on an operating basis.

The relevant law regarding pension and retiree health costs is from 2006, a lame duck congress in 2006. FWIW, no other federal government agency or public or private US company has as stringent requirements for funding benefits.

HPRamper

Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:26 am

CX747 wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

Just "after peak." Shrug. Juicy, but vague. Guy also looked down at the Kalitta bird and mentioned they were also going to be taking 777Fs. I don't know how accurate that is.

dcs921

Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:37 am

HPRamper wrote:
Just "after peak." Shrug. Juicy, but vague. Guy also looked down at the Kalitta bird and mentioned they were also going to be taking 777Fs. I don't know how accurate that is.

From this thread, they will be taking 3 777-300 ERSF from GECAS. They operate a several factory 777F on behalf of DHL.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1453473&p=22484691

Edited: added the part about DHL.

HPRamper

Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:11 am

Welp. SEA has already lost its Kalitta USPS lift, at least temporarily. N741CK left yesterday morning and has already gone SEA-MEM-HNL-MEM-ANC and is now headed ANC-LAX. To replace it, the USPS has chartered extra A300 and MD11 legs from SEA-MEM for the morning.

The USPS is getting completely blown out.

747classic

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:40 pm

The latest (number #20) UPS 747-8F is joining the peak.

N625UP, SDF-ONT, December 17th, see : https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N62 ... /KSDF/KONT
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

CX747

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:45 pm

747classic wrote:
The latest (number #20) UPS 747-8F is joining the peak.

N625UP, SDF-ONT, December 17th, see : https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N62 ... /KSDF/KONT

Right out on the line, LOVE IT!!!!

Spacepope

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:50 pm

HPRamper wrote:
Welp. SEA has already lost its Kalitta USPS lift, at least temporarily. N741CK left yesterday morning and has already gone SEA-MEM-HNL-MEM-ANC and is now headed ANC-LAX. To replace it, the USPS has chartered extra A300 and MD11 legs from SEA-MEM for the morning.

I noticed an evening Kalitta 744F flight out of DEN yesterday. Saw it headed generally SSW, maybe to PHX? Pretty rare for DEN to get any quad nowadays.

Spacepope

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:45 pm

Other fun in DEN for the feeder menagerie:

So I think these all operate for UPS if I'm not mistaken. Key Lime is flying metros all over the place, Bemidji is still using ancient Queen Airs and occasional BE99s, Alpine is flying with B1900s,.

But here's the absolute strange one: Encore (Dakota) is sending a C404 out from South Dakota to Denver to operate a few routes during the week, then flies the aircraft back to FSD for the weekend. That's even stranger than previous years where Bighorn picked up Wyoming flying with a bunch of Casa 212s.

travaz

Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:56 pm

Spacepope wrote:

So I think these all operate for UPS if I'm not mistaken. Key Lime is flying metros all over the place, Bemidji is still using ancient Queen Airs and occasional BE99s, Alpine is flying with B1900s,.

But here's the absolute strange one: Encore (Dakota) is sending a C404 out from South Dakota to Denver to operate a few routes during the week, then flies the aircraft back to FSD for the weekend. That's even stranger than previous years where Bighorn picked up Wyoming flying with a bunch of Casa 212s.

This looks like the modern day equivalent of the Dunkirk Evacuation. Anything with wings get airborne NOW!

Spacepope

Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:05 pm

travaz wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

This looks like the modern day equivalent of the Dunkirk Evacuation. Anything with wings get airborne NOW!

You ain't lying.

Some of those Bemidji Queen Air are very early production straight tail former Army aircraft.

They are pushing 60 years old, still in service every day.

treebeard787

Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Spacepope wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

I noticed an evening Kalitta 744F flight out of DEN yesterday. Saw it headed generally SSW, maybe to PHX? Pretty rare for DEN to get any quad nowadays.

It did fly down to PHX for UPS https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CKS ... /KDEN/KPHX
Allons-y!

n92r03

Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:26 pm

A couple things-

First, really enjoying this thread. By far the best on the site in a long time. Great insight all around. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

Second, just to add my own anecdotal info, I'm receiving Amazon packages via UPS, USPS, FedEx and the gray Amazon vans (I'm in the Tampa Bay area), some of these are showing 2nd Day Air, etc. I can't remember ever receiving deliveries from Amazon by all of these companies.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:44 pm

n92r03 wrote:
A couple things-

First, really enjoying this thread. By far the best on the site in a long time. Great insight all around. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

Second, just to add my own anecdotal info, I'm receiving Amazon packages via UPS, USPS, FedEx and the gray Amazon vans (I'm in the Tampa Bay area), some of these are showing 2nd Day Air, etc. I can't remember ever receiving deliveries from Amazon by all of these companies.

Interesting! I'm guessing any Amazon packages delivered by FedEx are by marketplace sellers who are allowed to use FedEx for seller-managed-Prime, because Amazon itself doesn't use them. I think that Amazon is now just using every channel through which it can squeeze the toothpaste, including Lasership and OnTrack, which have expanded in a big way. That you would experience all of them is kind of cool. As of today, I'm really only going to order from Walmart, Target and Amazon until this is over, because everybody else (Macy's, Nordstrom, etc.) has been slow to ship and their carriers are letting them down. But that's just my own personal experience where I am. And I'm still waiting, almost 2 weeks later, for something from a Marketplace seller that clearly did in fact mail a First-Class Mail package from California almost 2 weeks ago. It got scanned twice by the USPS, and apparently is still stuck in Carson, California. Uhboy. Not seeing that anytime soon.

UPDATE: After writing this, I checked on the First Class Mail package again, which was receieved by USPS on 12/5. Today is 12/17, and I see a scan at the NY Distribution center as of just a few minutes ago. So 12 days to cross the country. We'll see how long it takes to get to me from the NY center, which is normally surprisingly-good.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:54 pm

N605DL, ATI's last-remaining 757 straight freighter, is now doing back-and-forths daily DFW-TPA. It was on DHL, for whom ATI pulled it out of retirement. But I don't see DHL needing this kind of service. Post office? This one's a head-scratcher.

dcs921

Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:27 pm

wjcandee wrote:
N605DL, ATI's last-remaining 757 straight freighter, is now doing back-and-forths daily DFW-TPA. It was on DHL, for whom ATI pulled it out of retirement. But I don't see DHL needing this kind of service. Post office? This one's a head-scratcher.

I'm thinking UPS. If you search flights between TPA-DFW and DFW-TPA, it's flying with the same flight number that UPS was using for its 757 flights between the 2 airports through last week.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos