Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HPRamper

Re: Peak Season 2020 Cargo/Express Discussion Thread

Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:14 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I remember reading The Power of Productivity, a McKinsey. It is written the the heydays of Walmart, and he dedicated a chapter to the company. What he said stuck with me, and has served me well in my thinking. Walmart was a huge success, but competitors learn to compete. He went further and said that effective competition was even then observable. Walmart remains formidable, but along with others.

Amazon has been an even bigger success, but it has competitors and they will learn to compete. Most of us are expecting UPS or FedEx to step up and offering sellers competitive shipping. We were expecting eBay to do the same for small sellers. Thus far they have not. If they don't learn in the next year or so expect someone else to appear.

An easiest pathway may be to allow the USPS to actually compete, congress and some presidents have deliberately tied its hands. But that everyday delivery is its strong point, to almost every address in the US, and offered as a constitutional service is also formidable. ANY national delivery system can take advantage of that.

I can't speak for UPS, but FedEx Express will NOT be making anything more affordable for small sellers, because the high overhead leadership is making a conscious move to focus Express on large-volume and business-to-business accounts. Anything else including nearly all home deliveries are being pushed steadily toward Ground, which, well I don't feel like commenting on that aspect.

As for eBay, I thought it was completely up to the sellers to choose their own shipping options. Does eBay limit choices?

HPRamper

Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:41 am

Time for the New Years update on the FedEx Express charter ops. Still going strong, it appears.

N513SN has mysteriously reappeared, and is running LAX today.
N581JN is doing LAX-MEM today but doesn't seem to have a movement planned after that for another day or so.
N799JN is off the MEM-SLC-MEM route and instead is on MEM-SMF-MEM.

N396CM is still doing the South America circuit beginning with MEM-BQN.
N1619A still on MEM-GEG-MEM.

N415MC is moving CGN-MEM today.
N408MC is on SJU-MEM-HNL.
N409MC is on ONT-MEM-HNL. Notable that both 747s are departing for HNL only one hour apart. That's a lot of lift for post-Christmas.

As noted in the other thread, the Etihad 777F that was running STN is back on the ground in MEM prepping for purchase by FX, if it hasn't been consummated already. Likely to have a few changes made for conformity.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:30 pm

I bought several $thousands of stuff on eBay in the 90s. But I finally came to the conclusion that their sellers were not as reliable as I wanted. They may be better now, but Amazon and Craigslist has taken much (but not all) of their territory. Also I decided not to use Pay Pal, although many do like it. A likely counter to Amazon could be the other big retailers forming a shipping alliance.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:16 am

Just as an update, the Astral ship, N742AX, landed in Nairobi on Friday afternoon(1/1/21). She was flown over by ABX, which I guess explains why the reg wasn't changed before departure. Stopped in SID along the way, but looks like it was only there about 1.5 hours, so must have been a heavy crew. Enjoyed having her be part of Peak, and now she's off to more exotic locales.

HPRamper

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:55 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I bought several $thousands of stuff on eBay in the 90s. But I finally came to the conclusion that their sellers were not as reliable as I wanted. They may be better now, but Amazon and Craigslist has taken much (but not all) of their territory. Also I decided not to use Pay Pal, although many do like it. A likely counter to Amazon could be the other big retailers forming a shipping alliance.

eBay was really useful to me up to a point. But yes, certain details made Amazon ultimately more attractive to me as an occasional buyer. For selling, eBay used to be a lot easier for me as Amazon seemed more geared for established higher-volume sellers. I used both for a while. And the way both developed differently resulted in their traffic looking a lot different. eBay is easier to use for one-off sellers who want to make a quick buck off some random items, Amazon is better for people who are selling the same product every day, the same way. Being pushed strongly by eBay into using PayPal for all transactions was unattractive as well, Amazon was smart to not have an in-house payment system that turned off a lot of people.

A380MSN004

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:33 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Just as an update, the Astral ship, N742AX, landed in Nairobi on Friday afternoon(1/1/21). She was flown over by ABX, which I guess explains why the reg wasn't changed before departure. Stopped in SID along the way, but looks like it was only there about 1.5 hours, so must have been a heavy crew. Enjoyed having her be part of Peak, and now she's off to more exotic locales.

When Astral N742AX is flown over exotic destinations, do they use local Astral crew of it is a wetlease deal ?

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:57 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

When Astral N742AX is flown over exotic destinations, do they use local Astral crew of it is a wetlease deal ?

The plan, when discussed with ATSG management at an investor conference recently-ish, was a dry-lease to Astral. In other words, the plan was for Astral to fly the aircraft itself.

I think it's possible that once it gets to Kenya, it will reregister there under its new tail #, which was to be 5Y-SNL.

A380MSN004

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:09 pm

wjcandee wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

The plan, when discussed with ATSG management at an investor conference recently-ish, was a dry-lease to Astral. In other words, the plan was for Astral to fly the aircraft itself.

I think it's possible that once it gets to Kenya, it will reregister there under its new tail #, which was to be 5Y-SNL.

Great information, many thanks wjcandee.

USAirKid

Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:23 pm

amdiesen wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
...it is an indication of how swamped that the USPS still is...

thank you

The two significant macro events this peak are:
1) COVID: a). disrupted belly freight capacity; b). customer behavior shifted to online/delivery
2) Amazon: a). USPS executed an Amazon contract; b). FedEx executed customer deliveries, having chosen not to renew, without its Amazon contract

datum: it is cheaper to pay for shipping a small package from Shanghai to grandma's house than it is to pay for shipping the same volume/weight small package from one county/township to the next(neighboring). Carrier cost of shipping/delivering the two examples is arguably different.

You're munging a few things here.

Amazon has had a negotiated service agreement since 2013, it's nothing new. As wjcandee stated almost all of those packages are sorted down to carrier routes and dropped at the DDU (destination delivery unit). Amazon takes up exceptionally little, if any, of USPS's line haul capacity; it does utilize the last mile capability extensively.

The difference in the shipping cost for the package from Shanghai to grandma's house is a result of a treaty/agreement with the Universal Postal Union. China was deemed a "transitional" country, and it was given lower postal rates to encourage its growth and trade with the US. The rates that Chinese shippers pay for small packages will be rising. In my experience these packages are slow, often taking over a month to arrive after they are shipped.

Neither of these have to do with the USPS's reported backlogs in December. You'll note most of those reported backlogged sorting facilities, not DDUs.

(And FWIW, USPS is also forced to support Alaskans with Bypass Mail to the tune of $100 million a year. It's likely something that should be subsidized, but it shouldn't come out of the USPS's budget.)

amdiesen wrote:
for reflection and thought
Thesis: The Amazon/USPS contract is toxic as it is subsidized and displaces packages shipped at posted rates. Further, the contract moves the heavily indebted USPS further into the hole / further away from self sustaining.

FedEx and UPS do not wish to deliver Amazon packages at cost during peak. Nor do they wish to give Amazon priority over profitable customer relationships.

The Amazon contract is lucrative for USPS. In Financial Year 2019 it brought in $3.9 billion in revenue and earns the post office $1.6 billion more than its costs.

FedEx doesn't wish to deliver Amazon packages period, so they don't. FedEx never really was a huge Amazon's delivery partner.

UPS does deliver Amazon packages during peak. In my limited data set, I've received more packages recently routed via UPS than I have during the rest of 2020.

If anything Amazon is moving toward delivering more and more of their own packages. I've seen analysts that state Amazon will deliver 80% to 90% of their own packages in the US within a few years. In my recent personal experience the percentage of packages delivered directly via Amazon has skyrocketed. I've had a Lyft passenger who was recruiter for Amazon. She stated that they have a mandate to grow their own delivery dramatically. She tried to bring me on as either an Amazon Flex driver or as a Delivery Service Provider (DSP). (DSPs are the Amazon branded vans, they're operated by independent contractors/companies.)

If anything the "Amazon/USPS contract is toxic as it is subsidized and displaces packages shipped at posted rates." belief espoused by many has hurt USPS, because it made Amazon skittish that their rate would be forced higher due to political pressures. As a result they decided to be less reliant on USPS, which may reduce the revenue USPS receives from Amazon.

FWIW, USPS has other negotiated service contracts with other companies. It's one of the ways that USPS is allowed to compete for business.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:16 am

Great summary, USAir kid! Yeah, the USPS has a gargantuan fixed cost base. It' will never be "profitable" until the pension costs of retired employees of the old Government Postal Service are shifted off its budget. Then it will break even or make money. It makes an operating profit before the pensions of the employees of a different company (former government agency) are included. The only way that those who want to lie with statistics can say that "The taxpayer subsidizes Amazon" or that the "post office loses money on every package" is to pile that entire nut onto the thing, and then make some very-questionable allocations of "cost". Most of the "cost" is going to be there anyway. So in a normal business, if you make an operating profit on additional business and cover the additional capital cost of that particular new thing, you do it. By that analysis, the Amazon contract is hugely-desirable for the Postal Service. When it goes away, the USPS will be burdened with the same pile of fixed costs that it can't unload, without the extra revenue that Amazon provides.

This was nothing but a stupid political thing, like most things involving the USPS. Reality takes a back seat to whatever agenda the loudest voice in the room has. No way to run a business. Or a postal service.

CX747

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:13 am

wjcandee wrote:
code176 wrote:
Well, there's at least a takeoff video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVKL0zPEq3s

Fantastic! Looks a little cross-windy...

Indeed, looks like a blast. The Carribean, at Christmas time, in a venerable DC-8!!!
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:38 am

Just as a follow-up, I ran across this with two of the aircraft we follow at POS during Peak. A SkyLease 747 and our favorite DC8-73CF. Not the highest-def video, but still fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdxglngT5Hs

And as a bonus, a Royal Canadian Air Force C-17 doing a powerback! Haven't seen one of those since AA used to do it with MD80s at DFW until the FOD damage ended the practice.

CX747

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:32 am

wjcandee wrote:
Just as a follow-up, I ran across this with two of the aircraft we follow at POS during Peak. A SkyLease 747 and our favorite DC8-73CF. Not the highest-def video, but still fun...

And as a bonus, a Royal Canadian Air Force C-17 doing a powerback! Haven't seen one of those since AA used to do it with MD80s at DFW until the FOD damage ended the practice.

What is the 2021 cost to buy, D check and get a DC-8 back out on the line for cargo? I get that it is old, not used almost anywhere but they have to be pennies in comparison to other types....

I just love seeing that metal. Much older than me but man, that is pretty cool.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:56 am

CX747 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

What is the 2021 cost to buy, D check and get a DC-8 back out on the line for cargo? I get that it is old, not used almost anywhere but they have to be pennies in comparison to other types....

You wouldn't have to. ATSG has that ex-ATI DC8 sitting in ILN all set to go for Ribway. I think they checked it out, sort-of painted a new name on it, and were ready to ship it off to Africa, then nothing happened. I wonder whether they have been maintaining it and what kind of checks would be involved. Maybe CAM would lease it to us! And I think we could get our DC8 types right there at ILN as well. Woo-hoo! A few weeks in Hooterville and we'd be in business as the Bartles & Jaymes of the cargo business. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgD_fM9AqE8

And FWIW, our gal in MIA did 66 segments for whomever she was flying for, from late November through December 31. I'm hoping we'll see her flying more this week.

Spacepope

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:55 pm

Here's an interesting one. I hardly ever see feeders flying under UPS flight numbers but...

Castle Aviation (this is the first time I've seen them flying UPS feeders out of DEN, sorta like the one-off DKT C404 flights this year) is flying a Saab 340F GJT-DEN as UPS 1888, looking like an occasional service for peak loads. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UPS1888
The last of the famous international playboys

gdavis003

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:13 pm

wjcandee wrote:
CX747 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

You wouldn't have to. ATSG has that ex-ATI DC8 sitting in ILN all set to go for Ribway. I think they checked it out, sort-of painted a new name on it, and were ready to ship it off to Africa, then nothing happened. I wonder whether they have been maintaining it and what kind of checks would be involved. Maybe CAM would lease it to us! And I think we could get our DC8 types right there at ILN as well. Woo-hoo! A few weeks in Hooterville and we'd be in business as the Bartles & Jaymes of the cargo business. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgD_fM9AqE8

And FWIW, our gal in MIA did 66 segments for whomever she was flying for, from late November through December 31. I'm hoping we'll see her flying more this week.

Looks like she's back in the air today. HVY8231 headed southeast out of MIA. Probably either to GEO (Georgetown, Guyana) or BGI (Bridgetown, Barbados), based on that flight number's record. Great to see.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:23 pm

Good catch gdavis003! I looked earlier and she was still at MIA since 12/31. Happy to see her moving!!

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:26 pm

Also, FWIW, N904AR has been in XMN for 9 days now. She went there on a ferry-flight number, KYE9904, so it's possible she's there for maintenance at HAECO. Interesting if that's the case; previously, she had a couple-of-week-long check (as did 903AR) several months ago in California.

Here's crossing my fingers that they'll paint her, too! But I'm guessing that SkyLease will want to get her back on the line ASAP.

CX747

Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 pm

wjcandee wrote:
CX747 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Wonder what the cost per month is to wet-lease that jet?!?!? Getting type rated on a DC-8 would be fantastic.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:26 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Looks like she's back in the air today. HVY8231 headed southeast out of MIA. Probably either to GEO (Georgetown, Guyana) or BGI (Bridgetown, Barbados), based on that flight number's record. Great to see.

So it ended up being SVD (Barbados). A 3-hour flight each way. SO glad to see her still having work to do.

gdavis003

Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:49 am

wjcandee wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

So it ended up being SVD (Barbados). A 3-hour flight each way. SO glad to see her still having work to do.

Good stuff! I guess she either needed a little TLC or took a New Year’s break, but Skybus is doing one heck of a job keeping her in good shape for the workload that she has done this peak. I still wonder who they’re flying for. Amerijet would of course be the first guess, but it could very well be for someone else. We may never know . . .

A380MSN004

Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:04 pm

CX747 wrote:
Truly hats off to all the contributors. This has been an excellent thread and really brought some Christmas cheer into watching everything. Merry Christmas Everyone.

So, as Santa and his reindeer continue to deliver their packages, where do we find Aerotranscargo's roudy 747s for the final few hours before Christmas???

ER-BAJ: Out of the former British Territory HKG headed Westbound. Operated a LGG-NQZ-KHN-??? route.

ER-BAM: Roll Tide began Christmas early and has been on the ramp in NQZ for the past 24hrs.

ER-BBB: Resting in KHN with company...company, after operating LGG-NQZ-KHN.

ER-BBC: Frankfurt, Germany for the past 4 days.

ER-BBJ: The Upper Crust Society, Factory Made, Only Nose Loading 747 of the group matched BBB's routing and also flew LGG-NQZ-KHN. Both Upper Crust and BBB share the ramp at KHN currently.

ER-JAI: Slept through all of Peak @ CGK for MRO.

ER-BAC: The Paxargo, "Gun For Hire" of Terra Avia continues to sit in LOS awaiting the next call of a midnight run.

ER-BAG: The red headed step child rests in GYD. It flew an interesting route of GYD-TII-GYD. TII is Tarinkot Airport in Afghanistan.......

National Airlines 747-400
N756CA: Flew HKG-ANC. More than likely a free bird at this point and preparing to reposition.

Western Global 747-400
N344KD: Forty FO pulled a PHL-CAE-ORD-YHZ-ANC and is currently Westbound at 32,000ft and 520kts for ANC. More than likely all done with Peak when it broke for ORD. Prior to peak it flew ORD-YHZ-ANC-ICN-CSX-ANC-ORD lengths like clockwork.

UPS 747-8F
N621UP: ANC-ICN, not a hard day

FEDEX 777F
N845FD: Old 45 Slab Slides pulled a DXB-CDG-MEM and is currently Westbound over the Atlantic.

Slightly off thread but this is the only thread with posts about Aerotranscargo. Pretty impressive young airlines as wiki is stating they started their operation in 2012 and already operating good number of 747s.

On their website, it's mentionned their Head Office is in Chisinau (Moldova) while their Operation Office is in Sharjah (UAE). Why those two offices so far apart?Also do you guys have an idea from where are from the founders, is it more Moldova or UAE?

CX747

Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:42 am

HQ in Moldova, Operations office in UAE. Tech stop and line maintenance center in NQZ.

Overall, several months back the UAE pushed out Moldova based cargo airlines. That move led to some other decisions by Aerotranscargo who was in the middle of a growth period. NQZ struck while the iron was hot and you now see how the airport is used realistically as the hub.

ER-JAI finally finished up MRO @ CGK shortly after Christmas. Here is the new livery. Alas, World Airways continues to grace the skies!!!

wjcandee
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:17 am

I actually really like that livery! I think they well-used what I liked about the World livery (and I'm happy it lives on), and the red just blends in. I would have used slightly-larger titles on the fuselage, but I know some people think that's too gaudy.

I wonder what they'll do with the Thai livery!!

A380MSN004

Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:19 am

CX747 wrote:
HQ in Moldova, Operations office in UAE. Tech stop and line maintenance center in NQZ.

Overall, several months back the UAE pushed out Moldova based cargo airlines. That move led to some other decisions by Aerotranscargo who was in the middle of a growth period. NQZ struck while the iron was hot and you now see how the airport is used realistically as the hub.

ER-JAI finally finished up MRO @ CGK shortly after Christmas. Here is the new livery. Alas, World Airways continues to grace the skies!!!

Many thanks for your feedback, do you have an idea why they choose NQZ as a back up hub ?

Spacepope

Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:57 pm

I forgot to note that the feeder accident I usually expect during peak happened. Bemidgi had one of their newer Queen Airs (Excalibur) overrun after an aborted takeoff attempt and have a nosegear collapse. https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/246337

Happily the pilot was uninjured.

As for peak volumes in my podunk mountain town worldview: UPS is STILL running rental moving trucks (Penske) into neighborhoods here and loading them direct into Uber/Lyft/Gig driver cars for literal last-mile delivery in addition to the normal Package Car routes. They seem to be dealing with continued steady heavy volumes.

USAirKid

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:03 pm

Spacepope wrote:
I forgot to note that the feeder accident I usually expect during peak happened. Bemidgi had one of their newer Queen Airs (Excalibur) overrun after an aborted takeoff attempt and have a nosegear collapse. https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/246337

As for peak volumes in my podunk mountain town worldview: UPS is STILL running rental moving trucks (Penske) into neighborhoods here and loading them direct into Uber/Lyft/Gig driver cars for literal last-mile delivery in addition to the normal Package Car routes. They seem to be dealing with continued steady heavy volumes.

Interesting. I know a few years ago when I temped in UPS’s HR department the peak provisions of the contract with the teamsters expire on Jan 15. (That is they can have the extra temporary help with the temporary job descriptions between November 1 and January 15..) That being said the package car drivers and the sortation facility employees might have been hired for peak, but contractually they were just regular hires that then were laid off.

Spacepope

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:15 pm

USAirKid wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Interesting. I know a few years ago when I temped in UPS’s HR department the peak provisions of the contract with the teamsters expire on Jan 15. (That is they can have the extra temporary help with the temporary job descriptions between November 1 and January 15..) That being said the package car drivers and the sortation facility employees might have been hired for peak, but contractually they were just regular hires that then were laid off.

Yeah I'm not sure exactly the situation but from my viewpoint (AKA walking the dog during lunch) the guy with the beat up old ex-cop Crown Vic and high viz UPS vest (as only uniform) doesn't look like a permanent hire to me. That said the woman using her Subaru Crosstrek to deliver this peak on my street did an outstanding job and she can keep it up.

USAirKid

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:19 pm

Spacepope wrote:
USAirKid wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Yeah I'm not sure exactly the situation but from my viewpoint (AKA walking the dog during lunch) the guy with the beat up old ex-cop Crown Vic and high viz UPS vest (as only uniform) doesn't look like a permanent hire to me. That said the woman using her Subaru Crosstrek to deliver this peak on my street did an outstanding job and she can keep it up.

True. When I worked there the contract did not allow for a person to provide their own vehicle and deliver packages. That’s a new job classification in a contract amendment.

sunking737

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:50 pm

The orders I have placed with Amazon over the last week, arrived UPS around 1pm. It was almost 430pm during peak. No issues with anything coming via the PO. Its in my PO Box by 11am. Nominal time every day. I live 40 miles west of Minneapolis, Mn
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

CX747

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:32 am

wjcandee wrote:
I actually really like that livery! I think they well-used what I liked about the World livery (and I'm happy it lives on), and the red just blends in. I would have used slightly-larger titles on the fuselage, but I know some people think that's too gaudy.

I wonder what they'll do with the Thai livery!!

The company is just going gangbusters. I'm wondering what corner of the world they will go to next to find a 747P2F that has long been forgotten and pull it back to a life of anywhere, anytime cargo hauling between Europe and Asia.

I desire that ER-BAJ continue to be a Centurion.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:39 am

Agreed on the Centurion livery!

So odd that some of the most-financially-challenged carriers had the best liveries. And successful ones, like Kalitta...not so much (shudder).

CX747

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:52 am

A380MSN004 wrote:
CX747 wrote:

Many thanks for your feedback, do you have an idea why they choose NQZ as a back up hub ?

Aero's fleet of 747s had grown exponentially overnight and NQZ was looking to expand the airport and its services as an economic engine for the region.

-19 put together an airline that needed a home and an airport that wanted a tenant. It has actually blossomed well beyond anyone's imagination. NQZ thought the airport would see maybe an influx of ten to twelve cargo flights a week. Basically, land, refuel, swap crews and then continue on the journey. Make money on landing fees, sell some jet fuel and possibly bring in some cargo or import/export business.

Now, we see all six 747s of Aerotranscargo homebased at NQZ. Aero also has a line maintenance office setup at NQZ (CGK and GMF AeroAsia continue heavy maintenance on the fleet). The airport sees 10-12 747 flights a day, not a week. That's a good amount of people in the area and bringing $$$ to spend! Pretty nice for something not more than 5 months old.

747classic

Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:39 am

Any new info (pictures) about the damage and repair time of Western Global N356KD ?
It's still AOG at Columbia (CAE) since December 20th after hitting a lamp post.
Who will perform the repairs? Boeing AOG team ?
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

gdavis003

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:52 pm

Out of curiosity, just noticed that Brown has been sending a lot of A300-600s down to BFM for a day or two recently. I’m sure it’s maintenance related and not carrying cargo, but I’m curious what the maintenance is with how short the stays have been. I know they’re upgrading them to the Honeywell Primus Epic in the cockpit, but these stays seem to be too short (2-3 days max). They very clearly waited until after the bulk of peak was finished to do said maintenance, but they’ve been consistently rotating 1-2 in and out of BFM since 2021 began.

Spacepope

Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:28 pm

This just popped up on my YouTube feed, brown peak spotting with cameos by WGN, ABX, ATI, SkyLease, Kalitta, National....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jqJDTfuOm5k

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:28 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Out of curiosity, just noticed that Brown has been sending a lot of A300-600s down to BFM for a day or two recently. I’m sure it’s maintenance related and not carrying cargo, but I’m curious what the maintenance is with how short the stays have been. I know they’re upgrading them to the Honeywell Primus Epic in the cockpit, but these stays seem to be too short (2-3 days max). They very clearly waited until after the bulk of peak was finished to do said maintenance, but they’ve been consistently rotating 1-2 in and out of BFM since 2021 began.

Probably plain old A-checks. Like Western Global did right after Peak.

The Primus Epic upgrade is going to take a month per frame or more. There's a lot more involved than what ATSG and Cascade are doing installing the Collins LFDS in the 767s, which takes 2 weeks per aircraft.

The A300 upgrade is not just new display panels and such, but is much more comprehensive, including a new FMS, a new GPS Nav, a new weather radar, a new ACARS, a new vertical situation display, new EGPWS, new central maintenance system monitoring a lot more things, and new standby instruments.

gdavis003

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:55 pm

wjcandee wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Probably plain old A-checks. Like Western Global did right after Peak.

The Primus Epic upgrade is going to take a month per frame or more. There's a lot more involved than what ATSG and Cascade are doing installing the Collins LFDS in the 767s, which takes 2 weeks per aircraft.

The A300 upgrade is not just new display panels and such, but is much more comprehensive, including a new FMS, a new GPS Nav, a new weather radar, a new ACARS, a new vertical situation display, new EGPWS, new central maintenance system monitoring a lot more things, and new standby instruments.

I suspected that the upgrades were much more intensive than a 2-3 day thing based on the pictures and such that I had seen, and that would confirm my suspicion. Would make sense that they're just A-checks, but I would have thought that those would be done at SDF or another UPS base. Didn't think UPS used BFM for just normal, light checks, but I might have just not paid enough attention the last few years to see whether they have been

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:05 am

Spacepope wrote:
This just popped up on my YouTube feed, brown peak spotting with cameos by WGN, ABX, ATI, SkyLease, Kalitta, National....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jqJDTfuOm5k

That is an absolutely-worthwhile 15 minutes. Well-done. Only thing I didn't see was what he listed as an Ameristar DC9-15, which would have been fun. It doesn't seem to be in there, which I noted in the comments. Maybe he will add it.

janders

Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:40 am

With 2020 Q4 and traditional Peak season having passed this thread is hereby locked.

For ongoing discussions related to COVID freight operations, they can in the ongoing COVID-19 Cargo Discussion Thread >> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1442899
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos