Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Air India Launching BLR-SFO, Plans HYD-ORD

Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:11 pm

It looks like Air India will launch flights from Bangalore to San Francisco starting January 11, 2021.

The route will operate twice a week on the 777-200LR.

https://indianexpress.com/article/citie ... 6435/lite/

This was rather surprising. Air India will become the first airline to operate a BLR - U.S. route, beating United and American by several months.

Additionally, Air India is planning Hyderabad to Chicago twice-weekly from January 9: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... sinessNews

portola2727

Re: Air India Launching BLR-SFO, Plans HYD-ORD

Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:30 pm

Looks like AI's new plans are to start new services from existing stations rather than build new stations. I was really looking forward for AI to start LAX-DEL but I guess the plans are on hold for now.

hohd

Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:43 pm

Are these flights going to more of a permanent schedule or just temporary under the Air Bubble (where there is not much competition from 1 stop services) until the Covid 19 restrictions are lifted.

CPS001

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:04 pm

So HYD, if HYD-ORD indeed goes ahead, will pip BLR to be the first airport outside BOM/DEL to get a US nonstop and the first south Indian airport to get a US flight. Kind of anticlimactic since BLR is getting 3(!) nonstops - this will definitely put pressure on AA from SEA since they are starting the latest, AI generally pulls fares and yields downward, and of course the added effects of Covid.

Congratulations to both HYD and BLR. Still waiting for the day my hometown MAA gets a US nonstop...

sand26391

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:09 pm

hohd wrote:
Are these flights going to more of a permanent schedule or just temporary under the Air Bubble (where there is not much competition from 1 stop services) until the Covid 19 restrictions are lifted.

For now its under the air bubble thingy btw the US and India... so not sure if its gonna be continued once India opens up scheduled Intl flights. I personally dont think AI will continue these two flights for a very long time.... but lets see. So if everything goes to plan BLR will have .. like 16x weekly flights to the US by Winter 2021. There are rumours that AA may prepone SEA-BLR to July 2021 or so... but thats just a rumour as of now. But good news for South Indian pax overall.

MaverickM11

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Well AI *was* making excellent progress in getting its network together. Now to piss away millions needlessly... :roll:
I don't take responsibility at all

ORD2010

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:07 am

If I recall, AI has previously/or was operating HYD as a DEL tag on from ORD for a bit with the same plane continuing and returning. So 2xs weekly doesn't seem that out of place, though odd with the pandemic. Will they continue ORD-DEL in the end or will it be ending with UA taking over.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:51 am

ORD2010 wrote:
If I recall, AI has previously/or was operating HYD as a DEL tag on from ORD for a bit with the same plane continuing and returning. So 2xs weekly doesn't seem that out of place, though odd with the pandemic. Will they continue ORD-DEL in the end or will it be ending with UA taking over.

At the moment, Air India's DEL-ORD is still available next year.

However, do United and Air India actually codeshare or have any deeper partnership besides the two being in the same alliance? I was looking at Air India's website that lists all codeshare routes and United isn't on there. I suppose that explains why United ended up partnering with Vistara.

So in a sense, United and Air India will essentially fully compete on SFO-BLR and ORD-DEL.

Amchi757300

Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:25 am

Once travel recovers, would there ever be demand for SFO <-> BOM direct, whether on UA or AI?

x1234

Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:29 am

Amchi757300, maybe on the A350 which has more range than the 789. Someone on the UA thread says that while UA would love to fly SFO-BOM, the 789 is loaded with contigency fuel so the flight doesn't divert to Iran, Afghanistan, etc. With that you run out of range of the 789. Flights to China, South Korea, Japan don't have this problem because they can easily land there or Russia (last resort).

yashk

Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:17 am

Ishrion wrote:
ORD2010 wrote:

However, do United and Air India actually codeshare or have any deeper partnership besides the two being in the same alliance? I was looking at Air India's website that lists all codeshare routes and United isn't on there. I suppose that explains why United ended up partnering with Vistara.

So in a sense, United and Air India will essentially fully compete on SFO-BLR and ORD-DEL.

AI and UA will now compete on BOM-EWR, DEL-EWR, DEL-ORD, DEL-SFO, BLR-SFO. Basically all of UA’s routes have AI’s presence. For now AI gets to be the sole operator on DEL-JFK, DEL-IAD and HYD-ORD

bravotango75

Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:38 am

They should add BOS to their map.

PM

Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:17 am

I used to live in BLR. It is India's IT hub and there's lots of traffic between it and SFO. A lot was premium and that was why BLR was one of the very first destinations to get Lufthansa's 747-8i. It connected in FRA with the SFO flight. So SFO-BLR makes a lot of sense.

I miss those 747-8i ...

sand26391

Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:16 am

CPS001 wrote:
So HYD, if HYD-ORD indeed goes ahead, will pip BLR to be the first airport outside BOM/DEL to get a US nonstop and the first south Indian airport to get a US flight. Kind of anticlimactic since BLR is getting 3(!) nonstops - this will definitely put pressure on AA from SEA since they are starting the latest, AI generally pulls fares and yields downward, and of course the added effects of Covid.

Congratulations to both HYD and BLR. Still waiting for the day my hometown MAA gets a US nonstop...

Seems like BLR-SFO will be the 1st Scheduled Flight btw South India and the US on 09/01/21 vs HYD-ORD on 15/01/21

aemoreira1981

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:23 pm

Talk about beating to the punch AA, UA, and UK. I see that HYD and BLR are W routes. That said, if the Indian government allows AI to go under, UK could be really seeking out the rights to those routes as well as all of the AI slots in the USA, as the B789 really is the best equipment here for most of these (except for NYC and SFO to DEL/BOM, for which there's cargo).

BLR-SFO was talked about for years, before UA announced it, and then AI beat UA to the punch. Kingfisher, had its owner known how to run an airline, had five A345s on order (the only 380t A345s ever built) specifically to fly BLR-SFO.

The timing of these flights will be interesting as well, as intercontinental flights from India typically leave in the early AM before dawn.

Chasensfo

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:40 pm

I find the both adds rather surprising given the current travel demand, a move I would have expected in the future to perhaps make SFO 2x daily and supplement the days where the 2nd DEL flight does not operate with the BLR flight. Similar to how Qantas launched BNE on the days MEL doesn't operate to SFO. I wish them luck, glad to see India finally getting non-stops to the US on various carriers beyond DEL.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:27 pm

hohd wrote:

At the moment these two routes will end on March 27/26, so they're meant for the travel bubble. I guess we'll have to see if they continue these flights after March.

dtw2hyd

Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:31 pm

ORD2010 wrote:

COVID did what 787/A320LR couldn't do in promoting P2P markets. You will be surprised to see Indian airports built for international traffic but never been allowed international routes are getting several a week.

Assuming AA will capture most of the premium ORD-DEL, AI has to shore up its patronage. I think HYD-ORD will be a high yield VFR market. Any families within ORD catchment will prefer this and pay a premium. Imagine the convenience and relief of your elderly parents able to fly non-stop to ORD and you can pick them up and drive home.

Tag was hit-and-miss. Additional three hours wait at DEL, occasional equipment change were some issues.
All posts are just opinions.

CaliguyNYC

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:21 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
ORD2010 wrote:

COVID did what 787/A320LR couldn't do in promoting P2P markets. You will be surprised to see Indian airports built for international traffic but never been allowed international routes are getting several a week.

Assuming AA will capture most of the premium ORD-DEL, AI has to shore up its patronage. I think HYD-ORD will be a high yield VFR market. Any families within ORD catchment will prefer this and pay a premium. Imagine the convenience and relief of your elderly parents able to fly non-stop to ORD and you can pick them up and drive home.

Tag was hit-and-miss. Additional three hours wait at DEL, occasional equipment change were some issues.

Totally agree with you about Covid and P2P. I don’t agree with your “never allowed” international routes. HYD, which was the focus of your post, has absolutely been allowed international routes. HYD’s issue was competition from the ME3 (which have a HUGE pretense there) and lack of premium demand. POst COVID, hopefully more in HYD value the nonstop and pay the premium. Clearly they valued the convenience of the AI one stop because they were a big driver to the ORD’s success. I do think post COVID, people do care more where they connect through. I think many more, but not even the majority, will prefer nonstops and probably favor connections in the US or India. At least the VFR crowd knows their family will not have crazy govt issues when traveling between India and US if they connect in india or the US. Hopefully Indian carriers rise to the occasion.

sabby

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:47 pm

I don't see much to cheer about these as AI are just capitalizing on the lack of competition due flight restrictions. I have a feeling DGCA would keep the international flight restrictions for quite a while for AI to make some more money without competition.

2eng2efficient

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 pm

It’s nice to see AI’s sometimes forlorn 777-200LR fleet being utilized as designed/intended.

dtw2hyd

Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:02 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
I don’t agree with your “never allowed” international routes.

That was not about HYD, but about COVID-P2P phenomenon. What COVID evacuation flights show is how obsessive hub routing forces passengers from some airports take long detours even though there is enough demand for a non-stop. With the fear of handling infected passengers at hubs, true P2P routes emerged. No one would have guessed some city pairs.

Specifics would venture into politics.

FCOTSTW

Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:02 am

I do not have any hard evidence to back me up but at first glance it sounds as a classic mismanagement of a public-funded company.

Sokes

Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:04 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
With the fear of handling infected passengers at hubs, true P2P routes emerged. No one would have guessed some city pairs.

Yes, but twice a week. That's obviously not convenient. Moreover I consider US to India too far for nonstop.
Because of C19 it's the right solution. It's not a long term solution.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

NZ321

Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:04 pm

Sokes wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
With the fear of handling infected passengers at hubs, true P2P routes emerged. No one would have guessed some city pairs.

Yes, but twice a week. That's obviously not convenient. Moreover I consider US to India too far for nonstop.

US - India too far for nonstop? I guess you will never visit New Zealand then. Nonstops of 15-16 hours are quite normal these days.
Plane mad!

dtw2hyd

Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Sokes wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

It is part of HYD-DEL-ORD-DEL-HYD rotation, something like HYD-DEL-ORD-HYD-ORD-DEL-HYD. Other days tag is always available.

Courtesy Routesonline we now have Sabre Intelligence numbers about HYD-USA market. 912 PDEW with NYC, SFO and ORD being top 3 markets.

AA ORD-DEL will cut into AI ORD-DEL traffic, so AI has to find new markets.

COVID-19 gave an opportunity to test the market. Most likely sixth freedom carriers start heavily lowering transit fares. If it fails so be it.

With the existing HYD tag, HYD-ORD is a good test case. I strongly believe AMD-EWR non-stop is another good candidate.

yashk

Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:39 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Sokes wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

It is part of HYD-DEL-ORD-DEL-HYD rotation, something like HYD-DEL-ORD-HYD-ORD-DEL-HYD. Other days tag is always available.

Courtesy Routesonline we now have Sabre Intelligence numbers about HYD-USA market. 912 PDEW with NYC, SFO and ORD being top 3 markets.

AA ORD-DEL will cut into AI ORD-DEL traffic, so AI has to find new markets.

COVID-19 gave an opportunity to test the market. Most likely sixth freedom carriers start heavily lowering transit fares. If it fails so be it.

With the existing HYD tag, HYD-ORD is a good test case. I strongly believe AMD-EWR non-stop is another good candidate.

UA is launching ORD-DEL, not AA

Irehdna

Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:27 pm

Pretty wild in a years time BLR-USA (14x 789 + 2x 77L) will have more flights to USA than BOM-USA (only 7x 77W and 3x 788).

Also surprised to see HYD-ORD come before AMD-EWR, especially since the latter can use a 788.

as739x

Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:33 pm

x1234 wrote:
Amchi757300, maybe on the A350 which has more range than the 789. Someone on the UA thread says that while UA would love to fly SFO-BOM, the 789 is loaded with contigency fuel so the flight doesn't divert to Iran, Afghanistan, etc. With that you run out of range of the 789. Flights to China, South Korea, Japan don't have this problem because they can easily land there or Russia (last resort).

That doesn't make any sense. SFO-BLR is 300 miles shorter than SFO-BOM and flight routes will generally be the same going to India. China, S. Korea, Japan don't have that problem cause they are much shorter segments and no issues with range. UA is working with Boeing and the engine manufacture to improve (PIP) the range for BLR, that would make BOM doable as well.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Irehdna

Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:44 pm

as739x wrote:
x1234 wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. SFO-BLR is 300 miles shorter than SFO-BOM and flight routes will generally be the same going to India. China, S. Korea, Japan don't have that problem cause they are much shorter segments and no issues with range. UA is working with Boeing and the engine manufacture to improve (PIP) the range for BLR, that would make BOM doable as well.

Don't know if this is a factor but BOM has a much shorter runway than BLR. That plus since India-SFO flies east over the Pacific, BOM-SFO flight time might actually be a bit longer than BLR-SFO.

lightsaber

Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:23 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
I do not have any hard evidence to back me up but at first glance it sounds as a classic mismanagement of a public-funded company.

I cannot see the business case myself. I'd like to see some numbers on AI improving yield. When AI is well run enough to publish audited quarterly reports, I'll take their business case more seriously.

Do not get me wrong, service to SFO is exciting as is for HYD. I question the ability to get paying J class passengers in the quantity needed to make these routes viable.

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

avier

Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:37 pm

Both these routes would be targeting leisure pax for now, and IT/tech workers aren't going to be sent across the world for assignments in this pandemic. And HYD especially lacks premium demand, they'd be filling just the back of the plane.
BLR/HYD aren't even crew and MX bases for the WB fleets. This factor itself would complicate things, in terms of positioning large number of crew for these ULH flights.
AI is also in the midst of a sale, and it would send out a very confusing message to buyers over the airline's functioning when such routes are launched so randomly at such a short notice.

acavpics

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:16 pm

I would have thought BOM would get ORD service long before HYD.

dtw2hyd

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:45 pm

avier wrote:
Both these routes would be targeting leisure pax for now, and IT/tech workers aren't going to be sent across the world for assignments in this pandemic. And HYD especially lacks premium demand, they'd be filling just the back of the plane.
BLR/HYD aren't even crew and MX bases for the WB fleets. This factor itself would complicate things, in terms of positioning large number of crew for these ULH flights.
AI is also in the midst of a sale, and it would send out a very confusing message to buyers over the airline's functioning when such routes are launched so randomly at such a short notice.

Both airports despatch several WBs daily. AI WB crew is BOM based, yet they operate from DEL hub.

HYD-DEL-ORD has been WB for years, and I believe BLR-DEL-SFO is also WB all the way.

Both are TSA cleared airports.

This is just on couple of day HYD-DEL-ORD becomes DEL-HYD-ORD and BLR-DEL-SFO becomes DEL-BLR-SFO. There is no WB crew issue now, there won't be with this change.

Assuming on those days bulk of pax originate from tags, why not send them non-stop rather than hauling them to DEL, make them sit on the plane for 3 hours.

This may be difficult for hub fetish av pundits, but it is good for real passengers.

CaliguyNYC

Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Irehdna wrote:
Pretty wild in a years time BLR-USA (14x 789 + 2x 77L) will have more flights to USA than BOM-USA (only 7x 77W and 3x 788).

Also surprised to see HYD-ORD come before AMD-EWR, especially since the latter can use a 788.

the nonstops from the US need high J fares that only US origin business pax pay. BLR is benefitting from high US origin business travel that is concentrated on one route SFO-BLR. BOM has more premium demand but a lot of it is BOM origin that gets cheaper fares. At the fares BOM sees (mix of US and India origin fares) many airlines would probably route pax through EU also given that BOM sees much more EU flights).

LCDFlight

Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:05 am

This may be an obvious comment, but USA-India business ties will only continue to grow. Of all major bilateral markets... this is one that will grow to a size nobody will possibly believe.

stl07

Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:32 am

I guess I'm never getting my ORD-BOM. I mean come on, an airline plans ORD-HYD before BOM...

The route planners must love seeing my tired face in BOM after all those layovers haha
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

TYWoolman

Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:29 pm

American should really be hoping that demand from Seattle alone is enough; Not that it wouldn't be. But IMO, putting an airline's (American) resources on what seems to be exotic, never-before-served destinations by a U.S. carriers that are instead very capable of being flown by a Nation's Flag Carrier (retaliatory as it may be) is a risky launch of a new gateway. But all the best to them. Perhaps American will win as United and Air India duke it out over in SFO as Seattle fliers high-five it all the way across the globe!

SATexan

Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:13 am

At this moment there are ONLY two options for Indian Nationals flying to USA - United and Air India. All other carriers have some or the other restrictions due to Covid-19. Me thinks this is an effective strategy by the Indian Government to prop up AI even though there are desperation levels to sell the airline. USA to India still has some players maneuvering through the bubble arrangements but they are no where close to offering the schedules of UA and AI. United and AI are having the having the India to USA market for themselves. Make hay while the sunshines! No wonder AA is trying to join the party sooner by launching SEA-BLR earlier than expected.

DIJKKIJK

Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:12 am

2eng2efficient wrote:
It’s nice to see AI’s sometimes forlorn 777-200LR fleet being utilized as designed/intended.

Those 'forlorn' aircraft are regularly doing DEL-SFO and other routes. They are among the most active aircraft in AI's fleet.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

2eng2efficient

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:07 pm

DIJKKIJK wrote:
2eng2efficient wrote:

Those 'forlorn' aircraft are regularly doing DEL-SFO and other routes. They are among the most active aircraft in AI's fleet.

I said sometimes. Air India’s 777-200LR fleet has had some well publicized and discussed issues in the past decade. For example, parting out new aircraft (which were later “re-parted” and RTS), or the sale of 5 frames that were subject to serious concerns about corrosion.

https://www.bangaloreaviation.com/2014/ ... rport.html

CaliguyNYC

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:03 pm

SATexan wrote:
At this moment there are ONLY two options for Indian Nationals flying to USA - United and Air India. All other carriers have some or the other restrictions due to Covid-19. Me thinks this is an effective strategy by the Indian Government to prop up AI even though there are desperation levels to sell the airline. USA to India still has some players maneuvering through the bubble arrangements but they are no where close to offering the schedules of UA and AI. United and AI are having the having the India to USA market for themselves. Make hay while the sunshines! No wonder AA is trying to join the party sooner by launching SEA-BLR earlier than expected.

Is this still true? It looks like more airlines are now selling 1 stop options say between BOM-JFK. Definitely fewer options but the likes of AF, VS, BA all seem back with their connecting flights. If any one knows the real scoop on connecting flights between India and US, please let us know.

CPS001

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:19 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
SATexan wrote:

Is this still true? It looks like more airlines are now selling 1 stop options say between BOM-JFK. Definitely fewer options but the likes of AF, VS, BA all seem back with their connecting flights. If any one knows the real scoop on connecting flights between India and US, please let us know.

For US citizens, for example, transit in Europe en route to USA is allowed. Indian citizens cannot and some have been denied boarding in India since they unknowingly booked such tickets. I think Air France alone has an exemption to fly Indian citizens to/from North America, though not 100% sure.

USAirALB

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:59 pm

yashk wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
ORD2010 wrote:

AI and UA will now compete on BOM-EWR, DEL-EWR, DEL-ORD, DEL-SFO, BLR-SFO. Basically all of UA’s routes have AI’s presence. For now AI gets to be the sole operator on DEL-JFK, DEL-IAD and HYD-ORD

I believe they are discontinuing Dulles.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Ishrion
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:01 pm

Per the OAG thread, BLR-SFO bookings have been extended into September. Sounds like this will be a permanent route?

AI BLR-SFO APR 0>0.3[0] MAY 0>0.3[0] JUN 0>0.3[0] JUL 0>0.3[0] AUG 0>0.3[0] SEP 0>0.3[0]

sand26391

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:29 pm

^^ Even HYD-ORD has been extended. Air India has posted it on Twitter too.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:34 pm

sand26391 wrote:

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Nice to see both extended through the end of October 2021.

CaliguyNYC

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:23 am

Ishrion wrote:
sand26391 wrote:

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Nice to see both extended through the end of October 2021.

Makes sense. Companies are still saying that it will be work from home until summer or even Sept. India trips tend to be booked in advance, so AI can lock in people even if say in May other airlines start to restart flights. Will be interesting to see if AI will be able to retain market share it got during Covid. I think some pax are probably won over to nonstops

Planeboy17

Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:25 am

sand26391 wrote:

Was this on the AI website because I haven’t seen it listed on the OAG since the route was announced.

sand26391

Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:21 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
sand26391 wrote:

Was this on the AI website because I haven’t seen it listed on the OAG since the route was announced.

Is that so? That's interesting... But here's the announcement though...

https://twitter.com/airindiain/status/1 ... 05123?s=19