Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
EK413
Topic Author
Posts: 5653
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:30 am

Hi A.Netter’s,

Welcome to the Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020.

Link to the November thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1453635

Cheers

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
VHVOZ
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:56 pm

Rex has finally launched its new website (screenshot below) and now also has a Facebook and Instagram presence. Welcome to the 21st century Rex!

Interesting to note on their social media channels that SYD-MEL flights go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday 2 December, the same day their new B737NG livery will be released to the public.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 2052
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:57 pm

Re Chipmunk's comments on QF's timing. Yes it isnt great news, but it also gives people certainty and with the month up to and the new year break to process it, they can start 2020 afresh. Id be saying that many of these people will be getting new jobs with the new providers, there are going to be new people needed. Also, minor point, if people are not certain about it they may well go and overspend on Christmas/holidays etc.
 
User avatar
EK413
Topic Author
Posts: 5653
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:47 pm

qf2220 wrote:
Re Chipmunk's comments on QF's timing. Yes it isnt great news, but it also gives people certainty and with the month up to and the new year break to process it, they can start 2020 afresh. Id be saying that many of these people will be getting new jobs with the new providers, there are going to be new people needed. Also, minor point, if people are not certain about it they may well go and overspend on Christmas/holidays etc.

Certainty during these unprecedented times is welcome news...

8 months on and still waiting...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
FromCDGtoSYD
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:57 pm

VHVOZ wrote:
Rex has finally launched its new website (screenshot below) and now also has a Facebook and Instagram presence. Welcome to the 21st century Rex!

Interesting to note on their social media channels that SYD-MEL flights go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday 2 December, the same day their new B737NG livery will be released to the public.


Talk about an improvement. I don't know if anything had been done in the back end but I think we should welcome Rex to 2020.
 
freshwater
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 10:24 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:40 am

VHVOZ wrote:
Rex has finally launched its new website (screenshot below) and now also has a Facebook and Instagram presence. Welcome to the 21st century Rex!

Interesting to note on their social media channels that SYD-MEL flights go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday 2 December, the same day their new B737NG livery will be released to the public.


It's a fresh design but still well behind their competitors. I'm getting a generic error message trying to search for regional NSW flights so good luck to them trying to handle web traffic for capital city bookings. Lipstick on a pig as far as their customer facing IT is concerned.
 
anstar
Posts: 3363
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:41 am

Just had a look - annoying you have to click to confirm dates dates. Fares between MEL-SYD from $99 in economy and $299 in business.
 
freshwater
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 10:24 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:46 am

anstar wrote:
Just had a look - annoying you have to click to confirm dates dates. Fares between MEL-SYD from $99 in economy and $299 in business.


Which along with the Captcha screen indicates its a new UI over the old backend. Still prefer it to many LCCs trying to upsell holiday packages etc through the flight booking process but it's far from seamless.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2608
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:50 am

freshwater wrote:
VHVOZ wrote:
Rex has finally launched its new website (screenshot below) and now also has a Facebook and Instagram presence. Welcome to the 21st century Rex!

Interesting to note on their social media channels that SYD-MEL flights go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday 2 December, the same day their new B737NG livery will be released to the public.


It's a fresh design but still well behind their competitors. I'm getting a generic error message trying to search for regional NSW flights so good luck to them trying to handle web traffic for capital city bookings. Lipstick on a pig as far as their customer facing IT is concerned.


Their website shows under fleet their 738 in standard livery with a big Rex on the underside - wonder if this is the final livery or a completely new one will be unveiled tomorrow. New website has similar branding, so won’t be too big a shift. Curious if they plan a new uniform for staff, or if we’ll see the business cabin and meals unveiled tomorrow also. Exciting
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 2052
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:40 am

VHVOZ wrote:
Rex has finally launched its new website (screenshot below) and now also has a Facebook and Instagram presence. Welcome to the 21st century Rex!

Interesting to note on their social media channels that SYD-MEL flights go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday 2 December, the same day their new B737NG livery will be released to the public.


This is heritage destruction. Not as bad as Rio Tinto but the old website was a classic.
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:52 am

qf2220 wrote:
VHVOZ wrote:
Rex has finally launched its new website (screenshot below) and now also has a Facebook and Instagram presence. Welcome to the 21st century Rex!

Interesting to note on their social media channels that SYD-MEL flights go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday 2 December, the same day their new B737NG livery will be released to the public.


This is heritage destruction. Not as bad as Rio Tinto but the old website was a classic.


Did you type up your reply on a ‘386 PC running Windows 95 and Netscape Navigator? :biggrin:

I quite like what they’ve done with the new website. It appears simple, professional making it much more eye catching. And something of this decade too.

I just hope their limited play at capital city jet services lasts for the sake of competition. Especially for those displaced from other airlines.
Cheers,
C1973


B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B762, B763, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
AN, EK, MI, QF, SB.
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:58 am

qf2220 wrote:
Re Chipmunk's comments on QF's timing. Yes it isnt great news, but it also gives people certainty and with the month up to and the new year break to process it, they can start 2020 afresh. Id be saying that many of these people will be getting new jobs with the new providers, there are going to be new people needed. Also, minor point, if people are not certain about it they may well go and overspend on Christmas/holidays etc.


Sorry if I came across as some DoomSayer. I think my main perspective was from a mental health point of view. The airline industry has pretty much had a s#&t year and to be made redundant before Xmas felt like poor timing. I hope with the opening of borders and increases to flights, and competitors (Rex), that all these people can find another position somewhere soon.

Thanks.
Cheers,
C1973


B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B762, B763, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
AN, EK, MI, QF, SB.
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 919
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:41 am

VHVOZ wrote:
Rex has finally launched its new website (screenshot below) and now also has a Facebook and Instagram presence. Welcome to the 21st century Rex!

Interesting to note on their social media channels that SYD-MEL flights go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday 2 December, the same day their new B737NG livery will be released to the public.


I wonder how many people will be brave enough to book 3 months in advance given the border shenanigans.

Looking at the frequency in their first week (picked Friday 5th March), they'll have 10x daily flights between SYD-MEL, for comparison:

QF have 13 flights for SYD-MEL, JQ 19 flights (SYD to MEL and AVV) and VA have 12 flights (based on current schedules). Welcome to the big league Rex ! You're gonna have your hands full.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:25 am

Executive Traveller have posted some more detail about Rex’s plans.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ow-on-sale
Cheers,
C1973


B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B762, B763, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
AN, EK, MI, QF, SB.
 
ben175
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:08 pm

Shocked that nobody has brought up WA's border opening to Victoria & NSW from December 8... and yet no extra flights as of yet from QF. Cheapest fare on that day is $1,216 via Brisbane.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5171
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:27 pm

Swissport looks to be a winner with QF handling


Swissport said yesterday it had been appointed the preferred ground services partner for Qantas at three Australian airports – Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney – expanding the company's work with the Australian carrier to 20 airports across Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, New Zealand and the U.S.
"We are delighted to grow our partnership with the Qantas Group and are proud to be trusted with their ground operations at Australia’s two busiest airports and the nation’s capital," Swissport executive vice president, Glenn Rutherford, said. Qantas announced yesterday 2,000 jobs would be eliminated from its business after it decided to outsource ground services at 10 Australian airports.


https://www.swissport.com/index.php?id= ... cache=1&L=
mercure f-wtcc
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:29 pm

[list=][/list]
ben175 wrote:
Shocked that nobody has brought up WA's border opening to Victoria & NSW from December 8... and yet no extra flights as of yet from QF. Cheapest fare on that day is $1,216 via Brisbane.


It will come, but give it a bit of time. When WA opened to the rest of the country, QF were quite conservative at adding additional capacity to see how much demand there was. For example, BNE eventually had four flights on day 1, but each was added one at a time.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
smi0006
Posts: 2608
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:26 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Swissport looks to be a winner with QF handling


Swissport said yesterday it had been appointed the preferred ground services partner for Qantas at three Australian airports – Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney – expanding the company's work with the Australian carrier to 20 airports across Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, New Zealand and the U.S.
"We are delighted to grow our partnership with the Qantas Group and are proud to be trusted with their ground operations at Australia’s two busiest airports and the nation’s capital," Swissport executive vice president, Glenn Rutherford, said. Qantas announced yesterday 2,000 jobs would be eliminated from its business after it decided to outsource ground services at 10 Australian airports.


https://www.swissport.com/index.php?id= ... cache=1&L=


I’ve seen the break down - it’s a pretty even split between the three big GHA in AU, Dnata, Menzies and Swissport. With Oceania winning a few ports too. QF have separated domestic and international handling in BNE/SYD/MEL. Swissport have only one domestic at those ports.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2608
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:44 pm

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Executive Traveller have posted some more detail about Rex’s plans.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ow-on-sale


Interesting indeed, very curious to see the business offering.

Has there ever been an AU start up with lounges and infrasture already in place? Looking forward to seeing their lounge plans and designs moving forward.
 
a320fan
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:06 am

The 737 livery is not very inspiring. But I guess it’s good for brand consistency, blending in with all the Saabs. I’m
Not sure how the big heart is in the country tag line is going to transfer over to the capital city market though.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
QF41
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:21 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:35 am

Anyone know what the 757 from Olympus airways is doing out this way? Its currently decending into darwin from Colombo.

The aircraft rego is SX-APX.
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K
 
QF41
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:21 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:36 am

On another note, qantas 737 vh vzi is currently on the ground in Dili. I suspect that is there to take the fruit pickers to hba today. Long journey ahead for them!
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K
 
smi0006
Posts: 2608
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:40 am

a320fan wrote:
The 737 livery is not very inspiring. But I guess it’s good for brand consistency, blending in with all the Saabs. I’m
Not sure how the big heart is in the country tag line is going to transfer over to the capital city market though.


Agree - heart is in the country is a weird tag line for mainline, better to leave that simply on the regional fleet. Unless they are trying to appeal as the Aussie bush battler airline initially hoping for customers to be forgiving initially before rebranding in 2yrs time. Wouldn’t have thought it would strike a cord with the cosmopolitan crowds of the golden triangle.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2608
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:41 am

QF41 wrote:
On another note, qantas 737 vh vzi is currently on the ground in Dili. I suspect that is there to take the fruit pickers to hba today. Long journey ahead for them!


Do QF have any scheduled services into Dili normally? Or just Air North
 
QF41
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:21 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:45 am

smi0006 wrote:
QF41 wrote:
On another note, qantas 737 vh vzi is currently on the ground in Dili. I suspect that is there to take the fruit pickers to hba today. Long journey ahead for them!


Do QF have any scheduled services into Dili normally? Or just Air North



Only air north. They are currently operating the route once a week. Pre covid was twice daily.
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 2052
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:59 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
VHVOZ wrote:
Rex has finally launched its new website (screenshot below) and now also has a Facebook and Instagram presence. Welcome to the 21st century Rex!

Interesting to note on their social media channels that SYD-MEL flights go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday 2 December, the same day their new B737NG livery will be released to the public.


This is heritage destruction. Not as bad as Rio Tinto but the old website was a classic.


Did you type up your reply on a ‘386 PC running Windows 95 and Netscape Navigator? :biggrin:

I quite like what they’ve done with the new website. It appears simple, professional making it much more eye catching. And something of this decade too.

I just hope their limited play at capital city jet services lasts for the sake of competition. Especially for those displaced from other airlines.


Ha, 2013 macbook Air. Close but not historic enough.

Of course, my comments are in jest and I agree, nice clean website that is needed for the intercity market. Tho they definitely got their value out of the old code that is for sure.
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:07 am

With domestic leisure travel likely to rebound faster than business (I think its already been seen), any thoughts as to whether JQ would consider 787 flights on trunk routes now that domestic borders are opening, im thinking low frequency longer routes, CNS - MEL/SYD, PER-MEL/SYD? Or just not worth standing up the fleet?
 
anstar
Posts: 3363
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:28 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
With domestic leisure travel likely to rebound faster than business (I think its already been seen), any thoughts as to whether JQ would consider 787 flights on trunk routes now that domestic borders are opening, im thinking low frequency longer routes, CNS - MEL/SYD, PER-MEL/SYD? Or just not worth standing up the fleet?

Probably easier to just keep adding the 320/321s as they have plenty still sitting around.
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:37 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
With domestic leisure travel likely to rebound faster than business (I think its already been seen), any thoughts as to whether JQ would consider 787 flights on trunk routes now that domestic borders are opening, im thinking low frequency longer routes, CNS - MEL/SYD, PER-MEL/SYD? Or just not worth standing up the fleet?


I was thinking along the same lines, wondering when QF might add some wide bodies back to the domestic fleet.

My guess I that they’ll be working the narrow bodied fleets as much as possible before there would be any 787’s and 330’s utilised. I’m basing that theory on the increased operational expenditure of the wide body: flight crew costs higher, increased landing fees due to weight, etc.

Also, borders being open is only a recent thing. Who knows how the CoVid situation will be by Xmas? If there’s another wave, hopefully not, then it’s reset and start all over again.

I read somewhere recently where QF stated their domestic capacity would be back to around 60-65% of pre CoVid levels by Xmas. If it continues beyond that then we may get hints of when the bigger hardware can come out of hibernation.
Cheers,
C1973


B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B762, B763, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
AN, EK, MI, QF, SB.
 
Deano969
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:12 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:56 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
With domestic leisure travel likely to rebound faster than business (I think its already been seen), any thoughts as to whether JQ would consider 787 flights on trunk routes now that domestic borders are opening, im thinking low frequency longer routes, CNS - MEL/SYD, PER-MEL/SYD? Or just not worth standing up the fleet?


I was thinking along the same lines, wondering when QF might add some wide bodies back to the domestic fleet.

My guess I that they’ll be working the narrow bodied fleets as much as possible before there would be any 787’s and 330’s utilised. I’m basing that theory on the increased operational expenditure of the wide body: flight crew costs higher, increased landing fees due to weight, etc.

Also, borders being open is only a recent thing. Who knows how the CoVid situation will be by Xmas? If there’s another wave, hopefully not, then it’s reset and start all over again.

I read somewhere recently where QF stated their domestic capacity would be back to around 60-65% of pre CoVid levels by Xmas. If it continues beyond that then we may get hints of when the bigger hardware can come out of hibernation.



I would think the 787s would be unlikely, thought the QF 787s engines were paid for by the hour, so better to leave them unused
 
cx777fan
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:22 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:32 am

Haven't QF been shunting freight around in otherwise sparsely filled 330s throughout much of the pandemic? Presumably they could increase A330 flying, particularly on transcon based on the demand that has led to such expensive fares all of a sudden. 787s perhaps kept just for repatriation charters until international flying resumes - or at least until there's a TT bubble.
 
log0008
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:42 am

cx777fan wrote:
Haven't QF been shunting freight around in otherwise sparsely filled 330s throughout much of the pandemic? Presumably they could increase A330 flying, particularly on transcon based on the demand that has led to such expensive fares all of a sudden. 787s perhaps kept just for repatriation charters until international flying resumes - or at least until there's a TT bubble.



QF is already starting to put MEL/SYD-PER, with 1-2 flights per day for each being operated by 330s on the few select days I looked at.

To the original Question, I think its possible Jetstar may bring some 787s back online in the New Year if we are covid free. If the demand for low-cost leisure travel hit even 80% of pre-pandemic levels, JQ would be operating a normal schedule thanks to the lack of TT in the market. I think MEL/SYD-CNS, MEL-OOL would be early contenders.
 
BNEFlyer
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:54 pm

QF41 wrote:
Anyone know what the 757 from Olympus airways is doing out this way? Its currently decending into darwin from Colombo.

The aircraft rego is SX-APX.

Apparently going to be operating for Toll/Amazon. It's currently at SYD.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1858
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:58 am

log0008 wrote:
cx777fan wrote:
QF is already starting to put MEL/SYD-PER, with 1-2 flights per day for each being operated by 330s on the few select days I looked at. .


Given the single case reported in NSW today, it will be interesting to see the WA response, and whether increasing SYD-PER is realistic next week. Qld has already confirmed that, at this stage, its border will remain open.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
anstar
Posts: 3363
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:50 am

log0008 wrote:

To the original Question, I think its possible Jetstar may bring some 787s back online in the New Year if we are covid free. If the demand for low-cost leisure travel hit even 80% of pre-pandemic levels, JQ would be operating a normal schedule thanks to the lack of TT in the market. I think MEL/SYD-CNS, MEL-OOL would be early contenders.


Most of their 787 cabin crew are offshore so I am not convinced they would want to spend the money during the pandemic on training Aussie crew to fly the 787.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:01 am

anstar wrote:
log0008 wrote:

To the original Question, I think its possible Jetstar may bring some 787s back online in the New Year if we are covid free. If the demand for low-cost leisure travel hit even 80% of pre-pandemic levels, JQ would be operating a normal schedule thanks to the lack of TT in the market. I think MEL/SYD-CNS, MEL-OOL would be early contenders.


Most of their 787 cabin crew are offshore so I am not convinced they would want to spend the money during the pandemic on training Aussie crew to fly the 787.


True, also I assume that JQ are also power-by-the-hour since those aircraft are technically from the QF order.

In short, I think that adding a bit more QF capacity (ie upgauging an 737 to A330) would actually be cheaper than adding JQ 787s in the (unlikely) scenario where JQ get to 100% A320/21 capacity during this summer.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:05 am

cx777fan wrote:
Haven't QF been shunting freight around in otherwise sparsely filled 330s throughout much of the pandemic? Presumably they could increase A330 flying, particularly on transcon based on the demand that has led to such expensive fares all of a sudden. 787s perhaps kept just for repatriation charters until international flying resumes - or at least until there's a TT bubble.


The A333s have been flying, but the A332s have all been parked since March.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
OffTheRails
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:08 am

Interestingly in this article it mentions Qantas will start flying 787s between Sydney and Perth

I wonder if this is before the aircraft heads off to Europe etc for repatriation flights as no mention of frequency is in the article

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... virgin-2-0
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:53 am

OffTheRails wrote:
Interestingly in this article it mentions Qantas will start flying 787s between Sydney and Perth

I wonder if this is before the aircraft heads off to Europe etc for repatriation flights as no mention of frequency is in the article

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... virgin-2-0


I made my original comments in regards to using 330’s for pax. Flying up to CNS this morning, there was a QF A333 about 10 mins ahead of us, QF83 I think. After landing and taxiing to the terminal, I saw it on same apron where I saw a Qantas Freight 737 parked when I was in Cairns two months ago.

After mentioning yesterday that QF had recently stated that domestic flights would be at 60-65% of pre CoVid levels by Xmas, I read in the news today they’re now saying 70% and 80%+ by the end of Jan. I can only assume that reservations are above expectations. Hence, the A330’s coming back sooner to haul pax.

Glad to see it recovering at this rate.
Cheers,
C1973


B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B762, B763, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
AN, EK, MI, QF, SB.
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1749
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:49 am

I also noticed QPC doing a pax BNE-MEL run yesterday (02/12) QF617. No doubt to cater to a surge of demand with the border reopening the previous day. The 333 fleet have also been running a few freight runs overnight.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
FL420FT
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:03 pm

vhqpa wrote:
I also noticed QPC doing a pax BNE-MEL run yesterday (02/12) QF617. No doubt to cater to a surge of demand with the border reopening the previous day. The 333 fleet have also been running a few freight runs overnight.


On 01Dec I also noticed a QF A330 parked at gate 19 (?) in BNE as I was pulling into the parking bay for a JQ flight I was on.

RE QF PER - East Coast Australia frequencies. I have it on very credible authority that QF are planning on reintroducing the 'Red Eye' flights very soon as QF corporate are looking at putting on more staff inside the SYD campus overnight to cater for these overnight flights.
 
ben175
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:28 pm

PER-MEL goes to 4 x daily (1 x 333, 3 x 738) on QF from mid-Dec. Fares for direct services hovering around $450-$600 one way well into January. Cheapest routes seem to involve detours via BNE and SYD.
 
soyuz
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:35 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:50 pm

FL420FT wrote:
vhqpa wrote:
I also noticed QPC doing a pax BNE-MEL run yesterday (02/12) QF617. No doubt to cater to a surge of demand with the border reopening the previous day. The 333 fleet have also been running a few freight runs overnight.


On 01Dec I also noticed a QF A330 parked at gate 19 (?) in BNE as I was pulling into the parking bay for a JQ flight I was on.

RE QF PER - East Coast Australia frequencies. I have it on very credible authority that QF are planning on reintroducing the 'Red Eye' flights very soon as QF corporate are looking at putting on more staff inside the SYD campus overnight to cater for these overnight flights.


I hope so. The PER-BNE redeye was my favourite flight for points upgrades to business class. It was a nice little treat to be able to duck into the business lounge at BNE for a quick brekkie after landing. Also I imagine that the A330 red eyes would be carrying a belly-full of cargo most of the time, hence the flight being commonly flown by 737s on a Saturday when post offices are shut.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:42 pm

soyuz wrote:
FL420FT wrote:
vhqpa wrote:
I also noticed QPC doing a pax BNE-MEL run yesterday (02/12) QF617. No doubt to cater to a surge of demand with the border reopening the previous day. The 333 fleet have also been running a few freight runs overnight.


On 01Dec I also noticed a QF A330 parked at gate 19 (?) in BNE as I was pulling into the parking bay for a JQ flight I was on.

RE QF PER - East Coast Australia frequencies. I have it on very credible authority that QF are planning on reintroducing the 'Red Eye' flights very soon as QF corporate are looking at putting on more staff inside the SYD campus overnight to cater for these overnight flights.


I hope so. The PER-BNE redeye was my favourite flight for points upgrades to business class. It was a nice little treat to be able to duck into the business lounge at BNE for a quick brekkie after landing. Also I imagine that the A330 red eyes would be carrying a belly-full of cargo most of the time, hence the flight being commonly flown by 737s on a Saturday when post offices are shut.


You’re probably correct about less cargo demand on Saturday, but Saturday afternoon/evening is also the quietest time of the week for passenger demand.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:12 am

Does this mean some of the 332s will be brought back into service next week?
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2756
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:31 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
Does this mean some of the 332s will be brought back into service next week?

I assume some will wake up but there will be significant maintenance required to reactivate the fleet. Given international remains on hold, chances are no more than 8-10 A332s will come back on-line to service domestic demand. The 737 fleet remains the more important part at the moment given it gives the most flexibility. Christmas is nearly here so business demand will ease off for a month or so from 18/12; A332s won't be required for peak triangle services.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
soyuz
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:35 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:31 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
Does this mean some of the 332s will be brought back into service next week?


Time will tell. They’re still not using the A333s to anywhere near their full potential so I would expect them to be fully utilised before they start bringing in the shorter A332s. I’m no aircraft engineer but I remember reading somewhere that the fuel burn difference on the relatively short transcons for the two sub-types is minimal, perhaps even negligible, but the A333 hauls more cargo (and passengers) so QF may prefer to fly them on the redeyes while international travel remains dormant. Pure speculation on my part and if anyone has better info, I’d be happy to be corrected.
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:59 am

soyuz wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
Does this mean some of the 332s will be brought back into service next week?


Time will tell. They’re still not using the A333s to anywhere near their full potential so I would expect them to be fully utilised before they start bringing in the shorter A332s. I’m no aircraft engineer but I remember reading somewhere that the fuel burn difference on the relatively short transcons for the two sub-types is minimal, perhaps even negligible, but the A333 hauls more cargo (and passengers) so QF may prefer to fly them on the redeyes while international travel remains dormant. Pure speculation on my part and if anyone has better info, I’d be happy to be corrected.


Yes i would imagine the 10 333s would be enough for the foreseeable future, although the PER runs do require alot of utilization, depends how many frequencies we get to....
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11830
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:20 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
soyuz wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
Does this mean some of the 332s will be brought back into service next week?


Time will tell. They’re still not using the A333s to anywhere near their full potential so I would expect them to be fully utilised before they start bringing in the shorter A332s. I’m no aircraft engineer but I remember reading somewhere that the fuel burn difference on the relatively short transcons for the two sub-types is minimal, perhaps even negligible, but the A333 hauls more cargo (and passengers) so QF may prefer to fly them on the redeyes while international travel remains dormant. Pure speculation on my part and if anyone has better info, I’d be happy to be corrected.


Yes i would imagine the 10 333s would be enough for the foreseeable future, although the PER runs do require alot of utilization, depends how many frequencies we get to....


There will also be 18 return flights to PER from MEL and SYD operates by the 787

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... virgin-2-0

I’m not convinced that the A333 is the best aircraft for any red eye service. I would think it would more likely be a 737 or 787. Typically red eyes have had around a 50/50 ratio towards domestic and international, while some will use the red eye for domestic connections plus some may need to use it to be in SYD or MEL earlier than flights currently be operated an A333 would be overkill since international is out of the question until mid year at least

There is going to be more 787 flying over the next couple of months, on top of the 18 return domestic trips and the already planned Antarctic charters there is also 24 repatriation flights planned between now and the end of January

https://australianaviation.com.au/2020/ ... d-january/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:33 am

Latest Qantas announcement on three 'new' routes between the mainland and Tasmania.

Qantas will today begin flying three new routes between Tasmania and the mainland to meet strong demand for domestic travel.
Flights from Hobart to Brisbane will operate up to five days per week. QF1576 to Brisbane will depart at 2.30pm this afternoon.
Flights from Hobart to Canberra will operate three days per week. QF1534 to Canberra will depart at 1245pm today.
For the first time in sixteen years, Qantas will operate direct from Launceston to Sydney up to four days per week. QF1540 will depart Launceston at 1.50pm today, marked by a water canon salute for the aircraft on the tarmac.
All flights will be operated by QantasLink’s dual class Boeing 717s featuring 12 seats in Business and 98 seats in Economy, offering around 2,500 seats per week across the three routes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos