Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Turkish Aviation December 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:47 pm

Hello there Turkish Aviation fans, welcome to another edition.
And Happy "15th ANNIVERSARY" to Turkish Aviation threads, WOW !!!! 15 years :)
Thank you everyone for keeping these threads informative and civil, all these years.



Let me start things off with few headlines recent and new:

-TK’s 2 x A350-900 fleet now flying mostly to LHR and MNL.
-TK started serving hot meals in J class, on its ER flights
-MAX re entry is imminent. If EASA gives the green light in January, we might see TK MAXs in the air by summer; fingers crossed.
-Latest news that TK is planning on seperating its Cargo business into a seperate stand-alone company. According to some rumors, this would make it easier to sell a part of it and help mainline TK with finances.
-TK grounded 10 x 77Ws and who knows this might be temporary or there were rumors in the past that TK might consider removing seats and lavs and turn them into Cargo planes.
-September passenger data for over 360 airports showed that Antalya was Europe’s busiest airport with 2.25 million passengers, ahead of Moscow SVO (2.13m) and Moscow DME (2.07m). Among Europe’s major hub airports, Istanbul IST (1.82m) easily beat Paris CDG (1.35m), Amsterdam (1.34m), London LHR (1.26m) and Frankfurt (1.15m). Again “busy” does not mean profitable.

Please continue with your news, views, photos, rumors and good old sense of humor.

You can find last months thread here: Turkish Aviation November 2020
Also, check this out, one of the earliest threads: Turkish Aviation December 2007,..... where I wrote: "TK might carry 20M pax this year" :)
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24898
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Thanks for a new thread . Hopefully TK keep the A350 on the LHR route long enough for me to catch it. Got plenty of Star miles to burn so would be a nice way to use them .
 
Blerg
Posts: 4432
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:05 am

For fun you should have copied the first post from back then or at least made a little summary of what was being discussed 15 years ago. :)

This March also marks 15 years since TK launched BEG, three weekly on the A320.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24972
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:39 am

TK first launched Belgrade in 1965 and operated for a few years. It then returned in 1984 via Sofia for a short period, then in 1997 operated in combination with Zagreb and back again finally in March 13 2006.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Blerg
Posts: 4432
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:41 am

LAXintl wrote:
TK first launched Belgrade in 1965 and operated for a few years. It then returned in 1984 via Sofia for a short period, then in 1997 operated in combination with Zagreb and back again finally in March 13 2006.


I thought it was 2005 for some reason. They did come a long way from three weekly to having 14 today and they asked last year for more frequencies and widebody flights but were turned down. Hopefully now that they have a codeshare with JU things might change. I know from inside sources that TK does bring quite a few passengers to JU flights especially to and from LCA.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:54 pm

Blerg wrote:
For fun you should have copied the first post from back then or at least made a little summary of what was being discussed 15 years ago. :)


Well, I included the link from Dec 2007.
I don't know what happened but the first thread is not there any longer, the link is there but the content is missing :(
But even though only 15 years ago, it reads as if ages ago. TK was not in Star Alliance, was still flying 737-400s/340-300s, regular contributors like "Bahadir", "Pilotaydin", "wing" (all pilots) which eventually I had a chance of meeting several times, TK before ordering the 777 getting Indian 777s with First class section. ( I was so sad I did not get to fly those F seats from JFK)....... many memories.
 
User avatar
itripreport
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:51 pm

Anyone got more info as to how TK is serving hot meals in their ER flights? Does this closely resemble their amazing service or more close to what airlines like BA currently offer?
 
User avatar
AirbusA343
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:51 pm

TK has taken delivery of another A321neo, TC-LTC.
 
BlueTrue
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:36 am

Sun Express has a new route on sale from Lgw to Ayt. It departs Lgw at the same time as the existing TK service. Is this new service as well as or instead of the TK service?
 
Chaostheory
Posts: 1161
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm told the new A350s are optioned with the highest mtow option (280t?). What are the long term plans for these? Australia?
 
x1234
Posts: 1005
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:56 pm

If TK can make IST-SYD non-stop west-bound it would be a GAME CHANGER as TK flies to literally every major airport in Europe (all parts) and now 1 stop from SYD. This is like EK but with more destinations.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:35 pm

Chaostheory wrote:
I'm told the new A350s are optioned with the highest mtow option (280t?). What are the long term plans for these? Australia?

That is correct. First two 350-900s received have 280T MTOW. I am not sure if that means a route to Australia.
This has been discussed many times here on these threads. As you might know, TK could have used a 77W to start an Australian route in the past but never did.
It would be a very long flight and not a whole lot of J pax demand, plus; ferrying fuel, 3 full meals, two full Cockpit/Cabin crews, maybe a hit on the Cargo hold... might no make financial sense even with a full flight everyday.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:59 pm

Today's TK1 is operated by a 787-9. Usually it is a 77W.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/THY1
Not sure if this will be the norm for the winter months, or this is due to the rumored grounded 10 x 77Ws.
Anybody had more info? Thanks.
 
TK773ER
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:08 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:44 am

TK's 3rd A350 TC-LGC was ferried back from LDE-TLS i wonder if this one is delivered by end of year ?
https://a380.boards.net/thread/2480/a35 ... tk3?page=2
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:24 pm

Update on TK1 and TK 77Ws:
-So, yesterday's flight might have been a one-off. Today's IST-JFK is operated by the usual, 77W.
-Rumors might be correct. Looking at flight24, I see that 11 x TK 77Ws haven't flown for the last 7 days( JJE, JJF, JJO, JJP, JJT, JJV, LJA, LJB, LKA, LKB, LKC) Also note that those last three frames have 400 high density seats for mainly India routes.
 
fil87
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 10:53 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:16 am

As expected, TK is extending the validity of all miles expiring at the end of 2020 for 6 more months. Just received their email.
 
gokmengs
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:41 am

Hello everyone after a long hiatus. I hope everyone and their loved ones are healthy and sane during this pandemic, I personally been through covid myself in September and had a very easy time with it flu like symptoms and luckily developed antibodies, wish everyone could get through it like me, but obviously lot of people suffered and passed because of this dangerous virus. Besides having to deal with my business hardships and life I gave up on this thread for one reason and that is the pandemic hospital they built by destroying 2 national treasures that are the runways at the Ataturk airport. Of all the available places to place the hospital there is just so they can get tall building permits for pathway of the runways and their hatred of anything Ataturk. Never in my life I saw such destruction of national treasures and the fact that they used the pandemic as an excuse made me sick to my stomach. I took couple of flights with a private plane and took off and landed at Ataturk and as you all know there are so many available spaces in the airport complex let alone İstanbul you can’t help but see the actual cruel intent. For this reason and anger I chose not to talk about Turkish aviation as this incredible heinous act was not a super big debate here, and I can’t believe we are such balik hafizali. This might get forgotten now but in a few years time those responsible will be in front of judge and we will see.
Rant over. Thank you TK787 for this thread, I wish everyone here the best and I feel like in 6 months we will be in better shape to rosier days.
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa
 
User avatar
TK105
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:57 am

Very well said. The irony is, that hospital stays empty at the peak of the pandemic right now!
The future is in the skies.
 
User avatar
TK105
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:03 am

And one more thing: I think those runways should be repaired and put in operation ASAP. Cost of the all repair works should be deduced from operation time of IGA including addirional compansation cost paid to TAV for early termination of operations at AHL.
The future is in the skies.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24898
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:11 am

fil87 wrote:
As expected, TK is extending the validity of all miles expiring at the end of 2020 for 6 more months. Just received their email.


A year would have been more appropriate given that this has basically taken a year out of everyones travel plans .
 
bennett123
Posts: 10388
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:55 am

gokmengs

According to www.aircraftspotting.co.uk there were a lot of aircraft stored at Ataturk. Firstly, 6 A300s: TC-COA, TC-OIM and TC-OYC all in BEA colours, TC-FLA has a green tail, TC-FLJ is all white and TC-FLM 'Fly' titles and engines removed. Then there was TC-KET An12 in the southwest corner of this area. Just south of this area and just outside the airport perimeter is an unmarked fuselage of possibly a B707. Also stored at the airport are MD82s TC-TTA, TC-TTB and 9A-CBH, usually found over near the maintenance hangars and adjacent apron.

Did you see any of those when you flew over?.
 
Blerg
Posts: 4432
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:04 am

What kind of measures is Turkey planning around New Year and Christmas festivities? Are they attracting tourists or are they skipping it due to sanitary and health restrictions?
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:40 pm

And now the A330s, TK decided to ground 25 of them for the slow winter months:
https://www.airporthaber.com/thy-haberl ... liyor.html (This article is in Turkish)
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:57 pm

Blerg wrote:
What kind of measures is Turkey planning around New Year and Christmas festivities? Are they attracting tourists or are they skipping it due to sanitary and health restrictions?

I am not sure if you are familiar with the restrictions right now. There is a curfew between 9pm-5am M-F and 9pm Friday to 5am Monday. (Total lockdown during the weekends) People over 65 and under 20 can go out to street only 3 hours a day in alternating hours. I can't imagine any festivities for the foreseeable future.
 
Blerg
Posts: 4432
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:53 am

TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
What kind of measures is Turkey planning around New Year and Christmas festivities? Are they attracting tourists or are they skipping it due to sanitary and health restrictions?

I am not sure if you are familiar with the restrictions right now. There is a curfew between 9pm-5am M-F and 9pm Friday to 5am Monday. (Total lockdown during the weekends) People over 65 and under 20 can go out to street only 3 hours a day in alternating hours. I can't imagine any festivities for the foreseeable future.


Did they put any timeframe on it? For example certain European countries introduced curfews but only for two, three weeks, ending right before Christmas and New Year festivities. I also read that LH experienced a 400% increase in bookings for this period so people are obviously getting ready to travel abroad to celebrate. Will be interesting to see what Turkey does in the end.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:22 pm

Blerg wrote:

Did they put any timeframe on it?

There might be one, I do not know. Maybe someone in Turkey can answer.
 
User avatar
mafaky
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:29 pm

TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Did they put any timeframe on it?

There might be one, I do not know. Maybe someone in Turkey can answer.


Nothing has been announced (yet) in that respect: i.e. easing down the restrictions for the celebration of New Year etc. But the present day general public opinion is that there will be a total lockdown. It's a highly dense Moslem country and there's actually no Christmas greetings tradition. We only celebrate the coming New Year. At the end of 2019 we had very high spirits and that 2020 (bcz. it's 20-20) will bring us great luck and prosperity and look where we (and the rest of the world has ended!...) :banghead: :thumbsdown: :tapedshut:
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.
 
Jetty
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:19 am

Blerg wrote:
TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
What kind of measures is Turkey planning around New Year and Christmas festivities? Are they attracting tourists or are they skipping it due to sanitary and health restrictions?

I am not sure if you are familiar with the restrictions right now. There is a curfew between 9pm-5am M-F and 9pm Friday to 5am Monday. (Total lockdown during the weekends) People over 65 and under 20 can go out to street only 3 hours a day in alternating hours. I can't imagine any festivities for the foreseeable future.


Did they put any timeframe on it? For example certain European countries introduced curfews but only for two, three weeks, ending right before Christmas and New Year festivities. I also read that LH experienced a 400% increase in bookings for this period so people are obviously getting ready to travel abroad to celebrate. Will be interesting to see what Turkey does in the end.

As with most countries it probably depends at how the Corona numbers develop. Currently Turkey has the 4th most daily cases in the world (with a much smaller population than the top 3) so that doesn't bode well for the easing of restrictions on a short term.
 
Blerg
Posts: 4432
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:56 am

mafaky wrote:
TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Did they put any timeframe on it?

There might be one, I do not know. Maybe someone in Turkey can answer.


Nothing has been announced (yet) in that respect: i.e. easing down the restrictions for the celebration of New Year etc. But the present day general public opinion is that there will be a total lockdown. It's a highly dense Moslem country and there's actually no Christmas greetings tradition. We only celebrate the coming New Year. At the end of 2019 we had very high spirits and that 2020 (bcz. it's 20-20) will bring us great luck and prosperity and look where we (and the rest of the world has ended!...) :banghead: :thumbsdown: :tapedshut:


Yes but Europe is a Christian continent and many start going on holidays already from the 23rd. In the past many have spent holidays in either Istanbul or one of the Turkish resorts. Here in Serbia for example, this year there are no ads for Turkey at all. They were replaced with Egypt, Cyprus, Zanzibar or Dubai. BEG-IST went from A321s by TK and A319 by JU to A319 and the ATR.
Turkey did introduce relaxed measures in the summer hoping to attract more tourists. I was wondering if they might do the same around the holidays.

I guess Turkish Airlines and Pegasus will rely mostly on transfers.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:40 pm

Here is the situation in the USA for the near future travel including Xmas and New Years; (from another thread)
"As of 25 November, there are 68% less tickets issued for travel from 25 November 2020 to 1 March 2021 than there were for the same dates in the previous year. Tickets issued for the week starting 22 December, presumably Christmas holiday travel, are only down 54%."
In short, not many people are travelling for the time being where the infection rates this high, and many lock downs in place.
I for one, have 4 international flights in February and March but I feel there is a 50/50 chance that I will not take any of them :(
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:11 pm

Interesting, both TK1 and TK5; JFK and ORD flights are operated by 787-9s today.
So, they are using 77W and 787s depending on the demand. I guess this would suck if you are a pax and got your preferred seat assignment in advance, like me. And the equipment is changed on the day or few days earlier.
I know the crews are certified for both types but I wonder if this creates any problems for the returning crews. The 787 crew might be short handed on the flight back to IST if the flight is switched to a 77W. Maybe ?
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 11056
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:16 pm

TK787 wrote:
Interesting, both TK1 and TK5; JFK and ORD flights are operated by 787-9s today.
So, they are using 77W and 787s depending on the demand. I guess this would suck if you are a pax and got your preferred seat assignment in advance, like me. And the equipment is changed on the day or few days earlier.
I know the crews are certified for both types but I wonder if this creates any problems for the returning crews. The 787 crew might be short handed on the flight back to IST if the flight is switched to a 77W. Maybe ?

My guess is TK is running more than minimum required on 787.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:51 pm

Polot wrote:
My guess is TK is running more than minimum required on 787.

Interesting. Actually, I've not flown on TK during this pandemic. But in the past, the 77W cabin crew size could be as many as 15FAs including the "Flying Chefs on J", or as little as 11FAs including the Flying Chefs (On JFK-IST flights) I do not remember the size of the Cabin crew on the 787s before the pandemic.
Thanks.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:05 pm

So today, both TK1 and TK3; both JFK flights, are 77Ws.
It might have to do with the amount of Cargo, also.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24972
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:20 pm

Pegasus will issue up to TRY 2.5bil (~US $320m) in bonds.

Regulatory filing
https://www.kap.org.tr/tr/Bildirim/891300
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
leftyboarder
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:38 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:05 am

gokmengs wrote:
Hello everyone after a long hiatus. I hope everyone and their loved ones are healthy and sane during this pandemic, I personally been through covid myself in September and had a very easy time with it flu like symptoms and luckily developed antibodies, wish everyone could get through it like me, but obviously lot of people suffered and passed because of this dangerous virus. Besides having to deal with my business hardships and life I gave up on this thread for one reason and that is the pandemic hospital they built by destroying 2 national treasures that are the runways at the Ataturk airport. Of all the available places to place the hospital there is just so they can get tall building permits for pathway of the runways and their hatred of anything Ataturk. Never in my life I saw such destruction of national treasures and the fact that they used the pandemic as an excuse made me sick to my stomach. I took couple of flights with a private plane and took off and landed at Ataturk and as you all know there are so many available spaces in the airport complex let alone İstanbul you can’t help but see the actual cruel intent. For this reason and anger I chose not to talk about Turkish aviation as this incredible heinous act was not a super big debate here, and I can’t believe we are such balik hafizali. This might get forgotten now but in a few years time those responsible will be in front of judge and we will see.
Rant over. Thank you TK787 for this thread, I wish everyone here the best and I feel like in 6 months we will be in better shape to rosier days.


I second that. I am and have always been very passionate about aviation since childhood. And I have loved seeing TK rise and become a global power. But the last few years we have seen deterioration and corruption in aviation at unprecedented levels, aligned with the the rest of things in Turkey. It doesn't excite as it used to anymore. I am saddened to see the way things are in Turkey, including aviation. I hope reason takes charge again someday instead of nepotism, political agendas and corrupt officials.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:28 pm

TK grounds 52 x A321s and 3 x A320s due to low demand:
https://www.airporthaber.com/havacilik- ... riyor.html
 
aytdxb
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Blerg wrote:
mafaky wrote:
TK787 wrote:
There might be one, I do not know. Maybe someone in Turkey can answer.


Nothing has been announced (yet) in that respect: i.e. easing down the restrictions for the celebration of New Year etc. But the present day general public opinion is that there will be a total lockdown. It's a highly dense Moslem country and there's actually no Christmas greetings tradition. We only celebrate the coming New Year. At the end of 2019 we had very high spirits and that 2020 (bcz. it's 20-20) will bring us great luck and prosperity and look where we (and the rest of the world has ended!...) :banghead: :thumbsdown: :tapedshut:


Yes but Europe is a Christian continent and many start going on holidays already from the 23rd. In the past many have spent holidays in either Istanbul or one of the Turkish resorts. Here in Serbia for example, this year there are no ads for Turkey at all. They were replaced with Egypt, Cyprus, Zanzibar or Dubai. BEG-IST went from A321s by TK and A319 by JU to A319 and the ATR.
Turkey did introduce relaxed measures in the summer hoping to attract more tourists. I was wondering if they might do the same around the holidays.

I guess Turkish Airlines and Pegasus will rely mostly on transfers.


There are no restriction or curfews for tourists btw. But there are very few arrivals. Only 240 germans last week to AYT and 2600 russians. I can see that many russian tour operators added many flights for new years and orthodox christmas as they are not allowed to have charter operations to typical winter destinations like egypt, uae asia. Zanzibar is the only other option. Most hotels are closed anyway, some will open for this small two-three week operation.
 
factsonly
Posts: 3036
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:26 pm

EUROCONTROL - Airline Performance 1st week of December 2020:

Largest capacity decreases in percentage terms were recorded for:
- Pegasus (-62 flights, -23%)
- Turkish Airlines (-52 flights, -9%) as the effect of the Turkish lockdown (evenings and week-ends) have a strong impact on domestic flows.

Overall:

- Turkish Airlines was the airline with the highest number of flights with 557 flights on Wednesday 9 December decreasing by 9% compared to Wednesday 25 November (-52 flights),
- Widerøe (310 flights, -4%, -12 flights),
- DHL express (308 flights, +1%, +3 flight),
- KLM (263 flights,+2%, +4 flights),
- Air France (261 flights, +11%,+25 flights),
- SAS (240 flights, -4%, -11 flights),
- Lufthansa (233 flights, +8%, 17 flights),
- Pegasus (203 flights, -23%, -62 flights),
- Qatar Airways (168 flights, -2%, -3 flights),
- British Airways(162 flights, +73%, +69 flights).
- Ryanair (152 flights, up 27%)
- easyJet (57 flights, up 200%).

https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defau ... 122020.pdf
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:33 pm

Thanks for the numbers. It is incredible to see EasyJet with only 57 flights :(
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:52 pm

EK to start IST 21Dec
FlyDubai to start SAW 17Dec; according to airporthaber.com
 
OTTOMANAIR
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:30 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:30 pm

TK787 wrote:
EK to start IST 21Dec
FlyDubai to start SAW 17Dec; according to airporthaber.com


Is this a sign that diplomatic relations between the countries are getting better?
 
TK773ER
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:08 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:55 am

TC-LLP the 15th 787 for TK was spotted outside in Everett.
http://www.paineairport.com/kpae18940r.htm
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:02 pm

TK773ER wrote:
TC-LLP the 15th 787 for TK was spotted outside in Everett.
http://www.paineairport.com/kpae18940r.htm

Just beautiful.
Also, 3rd TK 350 had another flight yesterday at TLS. I wonder if these two will be delivered before the end of the year.
My big question, where is TK storing all its grounded planes? IST/ISL ???. Wouldn't it be better to store them at a warmer and less humid location?
It might be cost effective to just store them at Istanbul airports, but this grounding might last few months and I wonder if there are any other options.
 
User avatar
BOEING777EK
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:40 pm

This might shift slightly off topic a little. But I was wondering whether if recent sanctions imposed on Turkey will impact future aviation deliveries for TK, as well as the Turkish aviation in general. i.e. The inability for Turkish airlines to purchase aircraft directly from manufacturers/lessors, similar to what Iran is currently facing.
 
MoonC
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:27 pm

TK787 wrote:
TK773ER wrote:
TC-LLP the 15th 787 for TK was spotted outside in Everett.
http://www.paineairport.com/kpae18940r.htm

Just beautiful.
Also, 3rd TK 350 had another flight yesterday at TLS. I wonder if these two will be delivered before the end of the year.
My big question, where is TK storing all its grounded planes? IST/ISL ???. Wouldn't it be better to store them at a warmer and less humid location?
It might be cost effective to just store them at Istanbul airports, but this grounding might last few months and I wonder if there are any other options.


Not the A350, no. No idea about the 787.

3 more A350s in 2021: https://twitter.com/BilalEksiTHY/status/1338734762857521152
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4990
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:49 pm

New Istanbul Airport awarded 5-star rating by Skytrax

https://skytraxratings.com/istanbul-air ... ar-airport

The other 5-Star hub airports are Hamad International, Hong Kong, Munich, Seoul Incheon, Shanghai Hongqiao , Singapore Changi and Tokyo Haneda Int’l Airport.

While I don't always agree with Skytrax, I think their airport ratings are pretty appropriate.
mercure f-wtcc
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24898
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:10 pm

mercure1 wrote:
New Istanbul Airport awarded 5-star rating by Skytrax

https://skytraxratings.com/istanbul-air ... ar-airport

The other 5-Star hub airports are Hamad International, Hong Kong, Munich, Seoul Incheon, Shanghai Hongqiao , Singapore Changi and Tokyo Haneda Int’l Airport.

While I don't always agree with Skytrax, I think their airport ratings are pretty appropriate.


While there are many things I like about the new airport there are design issues and quality control mistakes . So its 4* . For me 5* means exceptional and as for Skytrax its not really meaningful as they have been known to rent themselves out to the highest bidder.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:18 pm

MoonC wrote:

Not the A350, no. No idea about the 787.

3 more A350s in 2021: https://twitter.com/BilalEksiTHY/status/1338734762857521152


Thanks for the info. IMHO, very conservative to receive only 3 frames in 2021.
I guess, they negotiated the new delivery slots earlier this year and it is going to be very hard to move them earlier if travel improves drastically by next summer.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24898
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation December 2020

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:23 pm

BOEING777EK wrote:
This might shift slightly off topic a little. But I was wondering whether if recent sanctions imposed on Turkey will impact future aviation deliveries for TK, as well as the Turkish aviation in general. i.e. The inability for Turkish airlines to purchase aircraft directly from manufacturers/lessors, similar to what Iran is currently facing.


Well it very much depends on how far things go and if things settle down. I would be very surprised if it got to the level you suggest where Turkish Airlines was barred from buying Boeing or Airbus aircraft Id say the powers that be in Turkey would back down if they were faced with that kind of shame.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos