Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Spacepope
Topic Author

Air Djibouti 737-500 rips gear off on landing Dec 2

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:58 pm

Haven't seen this come up as a topic yet. Source: http://avherald.com/h?article=4dffab04&opt=0

Gist of things: Touched down short of runway pavement. Right main gear folds rearward and collapses and aircraft skids down runway on remaining wheels and #2 engine nacelle. Smoke is seen but the airport fire truck has been out of commission for 2 months because it's missing one of its front wheels. Thankfully no injuries to the 44 people on board.
The last of the famous international playboys

ssteve

Re: Air Djibouti 737-500 rips gear off on landing Dec 2

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:29 pm

They can park the wheel-less plane over by the wheel-less fire truck. Looks like an okay climate for longterm storage.

Wacker1000

Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:05 pm

Store it? Its a 737 Classic. Abandon it over in the field and get a recently parked NG.

Antarius

Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:09 pm

ssteve wrote:
They can park the wheel-less plane over by the wheel-less fire truck. Looks like an okay climate for longterm storage.

In case of emergency landing, please steer the aircraft towards the stationary fire truck.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

debonair

Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Isn't Air Djibouti still affiliated with UK rock singer and aviation buff Bruce Dickinson via his Cardiff Aviation company?

This was the sole plane of Tajikistan's ASIA SKY LINES, better known for dubios sales of A310 to Mahan Air; previously operating for companies like AUSHAAN AIR or ASIA AIRWAYS - do I need to say more?!

Spacepope
Topic Author

Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:30 pm

ssteve wrote:

Based on the accident location, getting an AOG team there will cost more than 2 replacement 735s.

bennett123

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 pm

https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-b737-26538.htm

I do wonder how many hrs/cycles it has and it's current value.

Then I look at Spacepope's comment and wonder if it is really best to strip it out and replace t.

RJNUT

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:11 pm

i thought maybe "sheikdjibouti" would weight in on this thread, no?

Bradin

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:13 pm

Spacepope wrote:
Smoke is seen but the airport fire truck has been out of commission for 2 months because it's missing one of its front wheels.

I'm mortified by that statement alone. It falls under the category of "Murphy's Law".

zeke

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:29 am

Spacepope wrote:
Smoke is seen but the airport fire truck has been out of commission for 2 months because it's missing one of its front wheels.

The airport has military aircraft from US, France, Japan etc, more than one fire appliance is located there. It would be one of the better airports in Africa to have an emergency at with the equipment that is there.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Spacepope
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:52 am

zeke wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

The airport has military aircraft from US, France, Japan etc, more than one fire appliance is located there. It would be one of the better airports in Africa to have an emergency at with the equipment that is there.

That’s interesting, since as I google aerial images of the airport it looks like a single runway with a tingle terminal building lacking even a paved road going to it. Usually US installlations would have their own base housing and a separate apron with some sort of shelters.

Are you thinking of the same Garowe?

AngelsDecay

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:19 am

zeke wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Hey... Zeke...Earth is Calling...accident happened in Garowe-Somalia, not in Djibouti ;)
"Well be thy one,
and wisdom too.
And grew, and joyed in my growth.
From a word to a word, I was lead to a Wyrd.
From a deed, to another deed."

Antarius

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:38 am

Spacepope wrote:
zeke wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

That’s interesting, since as I google aerial images of the airport it looks like a single runway with a tingle terminal building lacking even a paved road going to it. Usually US installlations would have their own base housing and a separate apron with some sort of shelters.

Nope. That's in Somalia. This is in Djibouti
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Spacepope
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:26 am

Antarius wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
zeke wrote:

The botched landing was in Somalia.

Antarius

Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:40 am

Spacepope wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Yup. The airline got me twisted.

But yes, I do not believe US air forces operate out of this base. They're south of Mogadishu at Baledogle

Spacepope
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:56 am

Antarius wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
Antarius wrote:

But yes, I do not believe US air forces operate out of this base. They're south of Mogadishu at Baledogle

Can you show a source because google earth just shows a paved strip and a single perpendicular taxiway to basically a shack as the entirety of infrastructure there. Looks like it’s pretty remote and undeveloped at Garowe international.

Harvestman

Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:23 am

Antarius wrote:
ssteve wrote:

In case of emergency landing, please steer the aircraft towards the stationary fire truck.

The truck works just fine, apart from the wheel. As long as it's within reach of the water cannon...

zeke

Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:41 am

Spacepope wrote:

You didn’t mention GGR earlier, I thought it was in JIB.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Antarius

Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Spacepope wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Can you show a source because google earth just shows a paved strip and a single perpendicular taxiway to basically a shack as the entirety of infrastructure there. Looks like it’s pretty remote and undeveloped at Garowe international.

I did not dispute that.

petertenthije

Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Is the 737’s wheel still okay? They might put it on the fire engine. :)
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

ILNFlyer

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:19 pm

Spacepope wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Did the survivors get a free bag of Khat for their troubles?

ukoverlander

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:36 pm

So a collapsed landing gear becomes "737-500 rips gear off". So Anet!

ssteve

Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:12 pm

ukoverlander wrote:
So a collapsed landing gear becomes "737-500 rips gear off". So Anet!

I think there's a lot of inference from the first image at avherald where there are skidmarks at the aprupt verge of the runway. (I don't say threshold because I don't know if there's threshold that's not dirt)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos