Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CraigAnderson
Topic Author

Is this Emirates new premium economy seat?

Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:20 pm

Following confirmation from Emirates that it will later this month take delivery of an A380 with the new premium economy product, Tim Clark has confirmed in an interview that the seat comes from Recaro, and is not the Eclipse model which HAECO had hinted at. Apparently the Recaro seat which most closely matches Emirates' specs is one which is already in use by JAL and Vistara.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... onomy-seat

What's interesting here is HAECO having said its Eclipse premium economy seat would launch on a middle-Eastern airline in late 2020, which was also the original timeframe for EK's premium economy launch. I wonder if HAECO was talking things up, if they had the contract but then lost it for some reason?

Opus99

Re: Is this Emirates new premium economy seat?

Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:33 pm

Usual Emirates. Overhype a standard if not underwhelming product. Emirates really only invests in first class and I don’t know why their customers can’t see that.

cedarjet

Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:06 pm

Doesn’t look too amazing. For me the one thing you’re paying for in premium economy is to not be sharing an armrest and this seat barely qualifies. And agree their product isn’t that amazing, 10 abreast on a 777 that’s in the air for at least 15h eg flight to the west coast, absolutely horrendous. There are a lot of people who’ve had bad flights, I tell you. And their business class is the cheapest looking out there, I can’t say if it’s no good but 2-3-2 and loads of tacky gold effect, it’s not exactly upmarket. Agreed that Emirates First is still a market leader, even Singapore Suites never had a shower.

steveinbc

Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:52 am

Seats are just part of the experience. To me Emirates provide a consistently superior service. Their meals, beverage selection, and courteous staff provide a large chunk of the experience in my view

LAX772LR

Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:04 am

I like this layout, but still looks sorta cramped, doesn't seem like it'd be any easier to step over a reclined seat during sleeping-time, and only looks to have a single-width arm rest.

cedarjet wrote:
For me the one thing you’re paying for in premium economy is to not be sharing an armrest and this seat barely qualifies.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

LawAndOrder

Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:57 am

Hmmmmm didn’t another airline from the US announce the seat that Emirates is reportedly now using? That seat looked awfully similar to what Emirates was initially showing. That airline deliveries have been delayed (according to airliners). Perhaps they paved the way

That can’t be a coincidence. The report said it is highly customizable. Maybe the initial report was wrong or perhaps with covid emirates got out their initial deal and hoped in the research and design of another carrier.

BawliBooch

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:23 am

cedarjet wrote:
Doesn’t look too amazing. For me the one thing you’re paying for in premium economy is to not be sharing an armrest and this seat barely qualifies. And agree their product isn’t that amazing, 10 abreast on a 777 that’s in the air for at least 15h eg flight to the west coast, absolutely horrendous. There are a lot of people who’ve had bad flights, I tell you. And their business class is the cheapest looking out there, I can’t say if it’s no good but 2-3-2 and loads of tacky gold effect, it’s not exactly upmarket. Agreed that Emirates First is still a market leader, even Singapore Suites never had a shower.

In most markets, Emirates is competing purely on price. Offering impossible to match prices via their giant hub in DXB.

And EK has always been conciously differentiating their First Class as "class above the rest". My first EK flight, their A300 had a J Class which was 2-3-2 while even Air India had 2-2-2 layout. The big leap forward was their seat back IFE (novelty at the time) and the Filipino/SEA Attendants :D. And they were the cheapest J Class at the time. A decade later, their 777 was 2-4-2 in J Class - decidely inferior to the competition in terms of hard product. But their soft product is above par in all classes.

Even in the 10 abreast Y on their 777 , the IFE, food and 34" seat pitch makes it tolerable.

What EK has managed to do is provide a premium service that is below SQ but way above the South Asian or European airlines, at prices that match or under cut the competition. I dont know how (or if) they are making money, but they certainly are running the show.

ethernal

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:29 am

cedarjet wrote:
Doesn’t look too amazing. For me the one thing you’re paying for in premium economy is to not be sharing an armrest and this seat barely qualifies.

I agree this isn't jaw dropping (but as you and others note, Emirates typically doesn't ever overachieve on hard product outside of their F halo product) but I don't see it as being very different than other Premium Economy products. Premium Economy seems to follow an (N-1) width standard, with exceptions for the "over-narrow" 789 and 777 (which, for 9-abreast and 10-abreast configs respectively, it's an N-2 standard.. but that's because they should be 8-abreast 9-abreast to begin with). That means that they are not that much wider than regular seats. There's very few airlines that deviate from this "standard".

Going from 9-abreast to 8-abreast is only a 13% increase in available seat width. Obviously 10-abreast to 8-abreast is more significant (25%), but on a 777, that is because 10-abreast is a disaster... it's only 19% off of a more human 18" seat width.

There's only so much of that space that can get put into the arm rest before you end up with even less butt-space than regular Y.

One positive of this seat is that the foot rest doesn't have a foot stopper. I hate foot stops (e.g., on Delta's Premium Economy) product because they only work for people up to a certain height - after which they become unusable.

AirIndia

Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:07 am

BawliBooch wrote:
cedarjet wrote:
Doesn’t look too amazing. A decade later, their 777 was 2-4-2 in J Class - decidely inferior to the competition in terms of hard product. But their soft product is above par in all classes.

EK 777s never had 2-4-2 in J. I think u meant 2-3-2. Infact the newly refurbushed 77Ls have 2-2-2 layout in J.

TropicalSky

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:18 am

I would think the first destinations to get these would be LHR,JFK,HGK,CDG,LAX,SIN&SYD

LawAndOrder

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:36 am

People are still not understanding that they are only using the seat for a base? It can be customized to look like the haeco seat that was rumored. They mentioned walls. What seat has walls?

The seat they showed in the article will look nothing like the final seat! Again there is another airline utilizing the same seat and it looks nothing like it’s pictured here.

chonetsao

Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:03 am

Well, the trunk of EK routes are under 7 to 8 hours (Europe, Africa, ME, Indian subcontinents, South east Asia and so on). I guess the newly revealed PE seats are just fine. I hoped the pitch would be around 40 or even 42 inches to add more comfort thus I am naturally disappointed to learn that the seat pitch is only 38 inches.

BawliBooch

Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:40 am

AirIndia wrote:
EK 777s never had 2-4-2 in J. I think u meant 2-3-2. Infact the newly refurbushed 77Ls have 2-2-2 layout in J.

I am pretty sure it was 2-4-2 in J. This was in 2001/2 or so. Did EK have some non LR 777-200's/ non ER 777-300? What was the J config on those birds before 2007?

MIflyer12

Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 am

cedarjet wrote:
For me the one thing you’re paying for in premium economy is to not be sharing an armrest and this seat barely qualifies.

I would guess that a much bigger fraction of intercon premium economy buyers would cite the extra seat pitch, about six inches here.

stefanJ

Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:10 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
AirIndia wrote:

I am pretty sure it was 2-4-2 in J. This was in 2001/2 or so. Did EK have some non LR 777-200's/ non ER 777-300? What was the J config on those birds before 2007?

All EK 777’s were 2-3-2 in J since the first -200 delivered in the 90s - never 2-4-2. The only exception were the 777-200LR’s, as mentioned above, recently refurbished with 2-2-2.

ChrisEtihad272

Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:23 pm

To Me personally Premium Economy just isn't worth it, i remember Boarding SQ and walking through Premium Thinking this is not worth and extra £1500 on top of the economy price.

dtw2hyd

Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:58 pm

Sorry I flunked the test of identifying the one. Which one is Emirates seat?

ethernal

Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:07 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
cedarjet wrote:

I would guess that a much bigger fraction of intercon premium economy buyers would cite the extra seat pitch, about six inches here.

I'm not so sure about that. For me the value is definitely about the extra horizontal space. This is doubly true if your other option is a 10-abreast 777 or 9-abreast 787. The average US male's shoulder width is over 18" wide. So you put two average US men side by side on one of those 777/787 and you're having to play the overlapping shoulder game. I spend about 90% of my awake time on flights on my laptop, and there is a distinct tradeoff between pitch and width there. Enough width and you can bow your elbows back to make room, or enough pitch you can push your arms straight out and still see the screen.

Regardless, my point is, horizontal width is absolutely essential. It makes a flight so much more enjoyable. There is a reason why the airlines that blocked middle seats in Y over the pandemic had net promoter scores shoot up. An empty middle seat next to you is the #1 predictor of someone saying they had a good flight (in Y). That's above quality of food service, staff, or anything else. Not being smushed up against a stranger for hours on end makes people happy (or, at least, less stressed).

It is true that some folks look at W for the extra recline (enabled by pitch). But I think for most people, that extra recline doesn't really help you fall asleep much. They never recline "enough" to relieve the stress on your neck. Only when you get to the boca-lounger-style business class seats do you reach enough horizontal angle to materially reduce that neck strain and pressure that makes it easier to sleep. There's a spectrum here, but this is a generally true statement for most people.

Most people I know don't look at W to get a better night's sleep.. they get it for the extra space, and that horizontal space is just as important as the pitch (indeed, most of the extra pitch is taken up when someone reclines in front of you despite not sleeping).

airbazar

Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:59 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Doesn’t look too amazing. For me the one thing you’re paying for in premium economy is to not be sharing an armrest and this seat barely qualifies.

That is very subjective. For me personally the only thing of value in any long haul class of service is the recline. I'm just fine with 17'ish" wide seats if I can recline more. Give me a regular economy seat with 9" recline and I have no use for PE.

Edit: Added "long haul"

VSMUT

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:59 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
Following confirmation from Emirates that it will later this month take delivery of an A380 with the new premium economy product, Tim Clark has confirmed in an interview that the seat comes from Recaro, and is not the Eclipse model which HAECO had hinted at. Apparently the Recaro seat which most closely matches Emirates' specs is one which is already in use by JAL and Vistara.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... onomy-seat

What's interesting here is HAECO having said its Eclipse premium economy seat would launch on a middle-Eastern airline in late 2020, which was also the original timeframe for EK's premium economy launch. I wonder if HAECO was talking things up, if they had the contract but then lost it for some reason?

That's sort of a disappointment, but I will reserve my judgement until I see the final product.

That said, Emirates isn't the only ME airline, and not the only one looking to introduce premium economy or a new narrowbody. One link I found stated it was to be rolled out on a ME based 737MAX operator first (FlyDubai? Oman Air?). The privacy barriers, aren't they also more in line with the Qsuite style offering of Qatar Airways? Weren't they getting their first A321neo this year? Saudia's first neo should also be coming along shortly.

cedarjet wrote:
And their business class is the cheapest looking out there, I can’t say if it’s no good but 2-3-2 and loads of tacky gold effect, it’s not exactly upmarket. Agreed that Emirates First is still a market leader, even Singapore Suites never had a shower.

The A380 in 1-2-1 config is fine, but the the 777 with 2-3-2 is horribly substandard.

Tall people tend to complain about the 777 seat being too short. The gold and wood trim is tacky, but I can live with that. The warm drinks shelf on the A380 is weird, doesn't win any points from me.

BawliBooch wrote:
What EK has managed to do is provide a premium service that is below SQ but way above the South Asian or European airlines, at prices that match or under cut the competition. I dont know how (or if) they are making money, but they certainly are running the show.

IMO, several European carriers match or exceed Emirates in business. SAS and Swiss are more than a match, and even KLM beats the Emirates experience if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself on a 777.

airbazar

Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:21 pm

VSMUT wrote:
IMO, several European carriers match or exceed Emirates in business. SAS and Swiss are more than a match, and even KLM beats the Emirates experience if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself on a 777.

But at what cost? Again, all of this is subjective and it comes at a cost. I rarely get out from my seat, even on a 12 hour flight so direct aisle access for me is not worth extra money. I'm a slender 5'11" 160lbs guy so seat width is also irrelevant. I don't particularly care for eating on planes so catering is mute. I bring my own water bottle too and some times my own snacks, and I don't drink alcohol on flights. I care about 1 thing and 1 thing only: does it recline, and how far does it recline? Secondary to that comes the entertainment system because I don't like to read. I'm the type of passenger that gets on the plane, doesn't move, declines meal service, and wants to be left alone which is why SQ FA's annoy the bejesus out of me :) Things like pitch, direct aisle access, amenity kits, blanket and pillow fluffiness, lounge access, none of it matters to me as long as it is for the right price and I imagine that I'm not alone.

VSMUT

Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:42 pm

airbazar wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

But at what cost?

Less than Emirates normally. I might be lucky enough to have an employer that books me on business, but they certainly don't spend more than necessary. Emirates is rare for me.

airbazar wrote:
I rarely get out from my seat, even on a 12 hour flight so direct aisle access for me is not worth extra money.

You really should, it's healthy.

BrianDromey

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:09 pm

Emirates certainly seem to have done a great job wit marketing their products. Many frequent flyer websites rate EK very highly. Objectively their 2-3-2 777 business class is much less private and quite a deal more garish than BA Club World, which is marketed as 2-4-2, but in geometry is equivilent to a 1-2-1 layout. The big loss is lack of aisle access and storage, which the EK seats are not strong on.

They have done. great job with showers and bars, but are far from leaders in the hard product, 3-4-3 in Economy, 2-3-2 in business on the 777s. Not to mention a connection in DXB at who knows what hour of the night. Its not for me, but they seem to make it work.

usdcaguy

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Premium Y exists in a sphere that is too high for most leisure travelers and too low for many business travelers, but people still buy it, though somewhat naively. A $3600 roundtrip ticket in W should offer comfort and services approaching business class, but rarely is that the case. BA premium economy is way too close to coach in terms of seating and service to deserve the additional pricing, for example, as is that of most carriers. I might consider W if it offered extra width (around 24”), generous recline and extra padding, but very few premium economy cabins feature those things. The product being considered by EK looks as though it doesn’t fulfill these requirements, but we’ll see how it goes.

ethernal

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:50 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Premium Y exists in a sphere that is too high for most leisure travelers and too low for many business travelers, but people still buy it, though somewhat naively. A $3600 roundtrip ticket in W should offer comfort and services approaching business class, but rarely is that the case. BA premium economy is way too close to coach in terms of seating and service to deserve the additional pricing, for example, as is that of most carriers. I might consider W if it offered extra width (around 24”), generous recline and extra padding, but very few premium economy cabins feature those things. The product being considered by EK looks as though it doesn’t fulfill these requirements, but we’ll see how it goes.

Premium Economy isn't usually $3600.. unless Y is already north of $2000 or inventory is nearly out in W. In which case J is usually $7000 (outside of weird demand periods like holidays). It's usually around a 50% premium on top of Y. Given that you're getting 36% more space (assuming 8 seats instead of 9 and 37" of pitch instead of 31") and usually get slightly better food options that's not unreasonable.

workhorse

Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:59 am

Each man to his own. I almost never book Premium Economy because at most airlines it's located over the wing which makes window seats useless.

They really should put a Premium Eco section behind the wing.

When I worked for one of Europe's seat manufacturers, I tried to push to the management the idea of "longitudinal premium economy", that is, instead of making a W section between J and Y, mix W and Y in the same cabin and put W seats on the side and Y seats in the middle. Also, put only two W pax together so that each of them has either a window or an aisle.

In a 350 or a 787 that would make : WW-YYYYY-WW, and on a 330 (or the upper deck of a 380) WW-YYYY-WW.

Y seats in the middle would be slightly narrower and with less pitch, and W seats on the side slightly wider with more pitch. There would be a mismatch of rows, but it is already the case in some airplanes because of galleys / lavs etc.

At that time I was told it wouldn't work because IFE boxes can only service 4 screens at a time, so 5-pax seat blocks wouldn't have IFE for everyone. Maybe with the evolution of IFE systems it will become possible.

Kent350787

Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:18 am

PE has been a growth market in long-haul for a few years now. EK was actaully the laggard in markets such as into Australia - QF had been growing PE during its various refits, and EK is only just starting.

If price is the key driver, I agree that PE doesn't deliver value for many people. But it's an easier $ ask than J if you're facing 24hrs+ travel, with what many people would consider 2xLH or even 1LH+1ULH. We do minimum PE as a family from Oz to US east coast, and I can't see me doing 10 across 777 as an alternative.

Antarius

Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:53 am

usdcaguy wrote:

Very rarely have I seen a PE seat at 3600. I bought a PE 1 way from SIN to DFW once for 1600, but that's because Y was 1300 and J was 14k.

Usually PE offers a solid sweet spot for vacationers who don't want just Y but aren't going to splurge. You can often find PE deals for a few hundred more than regular Y

ethernal

Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:23 am

Antarius wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:

Very rarely have I seen a PE seat at 3600. I bought a PE 1 way from SIN to DFW once for 1600, but that's because Y was 1300 and J was 14k.

Usually PE offers a solid sweet spot for vacationers who don't want just Y but aren't going to splurge. You can often find PE deals for a few hundred more than regular Y

Agreed.. if anything I'm always surprised that airlines offer Premium Economy to begin with. It doesn't seem like a money maker to me based on what I typically see charged relative to the amount of floor space it requires plus the cost of differentiated marketing and (sometimes) catering. But I guess it does as more and more airlines are adopting it.

For leisure, when I see PE a few hundred bucks above a decent Y price, I almost always buy it unless J is offering a very good value (which flying Delta it never is.. oftentimes ridiculous $9000 TATL pricing). Delta's upcharge for example is often times only a couple hundred bucks each way.

blooc350

Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:51 am

airbazar wrote:
I'm the type of passenger that gets on the plane, doesn't move, declines meal service, and wants to be left alone which is why SQ FA's annoy the bejesus out of me :-)

Seems like you’ve been conditioned to terrible service from FA’s who don’t care about your well being. That’s good for you.....I guess LOL

blooc350

Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:54 am

ChrisEtihad272 wrote:
To Me personally Premium Economy just isn't worth it, i remember Boarding SQ and walking through Premium Thinking this is not worth and extra £1500 on top of the economy price.

It’s worth the price if you’re flying on the A350ULR and get one of those throne seats in the back.

Antaras

Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:43 am

blooc350 wrote:
ChrisEtihad272 wrote:

It’s worth the price if you’re flying on the A350ULR and get one of those throne seats in the back.

It even more worth when you catch the right time when the W-ticket is just ~$100-200 more expensive than the Y seat, and you're gonna board a more-than-10-hour flight ;)

tjcab

Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:49 am

Well, they are in the business of making money. And good for them. So much EK hate here. Swiss and virtually everyone operating the 777 these days are 10-abreast. Heck, Lauda's 777s were 10-across back in the days. If they want to have fake gold and you don't like, don't complain, just don't fly them. Taste is subjective, and I welcome the change from many boring clinic-like interiors. Considering everything, they are not as bad as people make them out to be....on this forum. They clearly have carefully considered their core customers and market, and have responded accordingly. Seems like some are angry because they are getting away with it. My Y-class experiences in KLM, LH, AC and more have been very underwhelming, almost felt like bus service, in comparison.

Chipmunk1973

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:38 am

To me the PE product looks like fresh iteration of the QF 737 business seat. That’d be OK, but nothing special. Mind you, this is just some images of the seat and not the finished cabin product. Wait and see, perhaps?

As for their existing J class, I flew EK from BNE to SIN earlier this year. I do find the excessive use of the gold trim to be a bit chintzy. However, the EK business experience is not just about the cabin. Their lounge in Brisbane is a decent experience. And whilst the J cabin looks a bit naff, the seat is quite comfortable. Also, the J class cabin crew were superb as well as the food and drink offerings.

oldannyboy

Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:11 pm

As many say, it's not 'just about' the seat - which to me is more than adequate. 38'' pitch is perfectly average and provides good, solid comfort. Heck, I am fine with their 10-across 777 Y cabin...legroom is good and the service is generally superb.
Contrary to the a.net false myth, (one of many!) EK are actually a VERY GOOD airline to fly with.

Antarius

Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:50 pm

tjcab wrote:
Well, they are in the business of making money. And good for them. So much EK hate here. Swiss and virtually everyone operating the 777 these days are 10-abreast. Heck, Lauda's 777s were 10-across back in the days. If they want to have fake gold and you don't like, don't complain, just don't fly them. Taste is subjective, and I welcome the change from many boring clinic-like interiors. Considering everything, they are not as bad as people make them out to be....on this forum. They clearly have carefully considered their core customers and market, and have responded accordingly. Seems like some are angry because they are getting away with it. My Y-class experiences in KLM, LH, AC and more have been very underwhelming, almost felt like bus service, in comparison.

I don't think there's hate for EK. Just a recognition that their brand reputation and actual product are quite disassociated from each other. For an airline that advertises alongside Rolex, Cartier etc. And has a reputation for luxury, their hard product (except for F) is subpar. This W seat seems to continue that mold.

Credit to their marketing department. If they can made 2-3-2 J seem desirable, well done.

vhtje

Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:55 pm

airbazar wrote:
But at what cost? Again, all of this is subjective and it comes at a cost. I rarely get out from my seat, even on a 12 hour flight so direct aisle access for me is not worth extra money. I'm a slender 5'11" 160lbs guy so seat width is also irrelevant. I don't particularly care for eating on planes so catering is mute. I bring my own water bottle too and some times my own snacks, and I don't drink alcohol on flights. I care about 1 thing and 1 thing only: does it recline, and how far does it recline? Secondary to that comes the entertainment system because I don't like to read. I'm the type of passenger that gets on the plane, doesn't move, declines meal service, and wants to be left alone which is why SQ FA's annoy the bejesus out of me :) Things like pitch, direct aisle access, amenity kits, blanket and pillow fluffiness, lounge access, none of it matters to me as long as it is for the right price and I imagine that I'm not alone.

You and I are never, ever travelling together. I like lounges, and to drink champagne, and I like to eat all the meals onboard. The IFE I only use for the moving map. Aisle access doesn't matter much to me, and I rarely use the amenity kits. The only food item I bring onboard is a large bottle of water. When flights are delayed, I get excited: more time in the lounge and in the air.

Back on topic: why have the ME3 been slow to adopt to PE? A.net wisdom says that BA's most profitable cabin is WT+; if that is indeed true, surely the ME3 have been missing a trick or two by not having a PE cabin?

airbazar

Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:09 pm

vhtje wrote:
Back on topic: why have the ME3 been slow to adopt to PE? A.net wisdom says that BA's most profitable cabin is WT+; if that is indeed true, surely the ME3 have been missing a trick or two by not having a PE cabin?

They have repeatedly claimed that their Y class is so good that there is no need for PE.
QR is actually moving in the opposite direction in J by unbundling their business class fares.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericrosen/ ... 62e51e14d6