Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyfresno

Re: HA announces OGG-LGB, ONT-HNL, AUS-HNL, MCO-HNL

Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:14 am

Wneast wrote:
Does anyone see Hawaiian adding more main land cities ?

I could FAThom a few more mainland adds...

Wneast

Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:16 am

flyfresno wrote:
Wneast wrote:

What main land add could you see ?

MaxTrimm

Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:32 am

Wneast wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
Wneast wrote:

How do you miss that, man....

Wneast

Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:39 am

MaxTrimm wrote:
Wneast wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Yeah I re read that Fresno and some other ones

BoeingGuy

Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:42 am

MaxTrimm wrote:
Wneast wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Hahaha. Some people don’t get jokes. But yes, I’d have to think that FAT, BUR, BOI and GEG are prime candidates for Hawaii service. GEG is probably less likely but I wanted to throw a bone to Wneast.

Wneast

Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:43 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Hahaha. Some people don’t get jokes. But yes, I’d have to think that FAT, BUR, BOI and GEG are prime candidates for Hawaii service. GEG is probably less likely but I wanted to throw a bone to Wneast.

Thanks that was nice of you haha

WN732

Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:14 am

Wneast wrote:

Hard to say. The only cities large enough to support anything the size of an A330 is already a fortress hub that has ample Hawaii service. They cover the West coast thoroughly, although at the most I could see less than daily FAT, RNO, GEG and BOI added with the 321. They would get clobbered on fares out of places like SLC and DEN.

Wneast

Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:18 am

WN732 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Hard to say. The only cities large enough to support anything the size of an A330 is already a fortress hub that has ample Hawaii service. They cover the West coast thoroughly, although at the most I could see less than daily FAT, RNO, GEG and BOI added with the 321. They would get clobbered on fares out of places like SLC and DEN.

It would be interesting to see if they added these before Southwest supposed Saturday only Hawaii service.

AC4500

Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:26 am

Hawaiian has to be watching WN pretty closely right now. At this point, I think HA should be looking into increasing frequencies on existing routes. I think PDX, SAN and maybe SMF are all due for a second daily HNL flight. As biased as I am towards PDX, I think that would make more sense for them at the moment rather than adding new destinations. WN is only going to continue expanding their Hawaii network (I bet PDX-HNL is on the radar for WN), and I bet we'll see HA react to WN accordingly.

There's also SNA-HNL on UA. Obviously, HA doesn't have the right type of aircraft, nor the SNA slots to respond to that. Although as unlikely as any type of response may be to that, maybe we could see HNL-DEN or HNL-ORD from HA in the future.

Wneast

Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:39 am

AC4500 wrote:
Hawaiian has to be watching WN pretty closely right now. At this point, I think HA should be looking into increasing frequencies on existing routes. I think PDX, SAN and maybe SMF are all due for a second daily HNL flight. As biased as I am towards PDX, I think that would make more sense for them at the moment rather than adding new destinations. WN is only going to continue expanding their Hawaii network (I bet PDX-HNL is on the radar for WN), and I bet we'll see HA react to WN accordingly.

There's also SNA-HNL on UA. Obviously, HA doesn't have the right type of aircraft, nor the SNA slots to respond to that. Although as unlikely as any type of response may be to that, maybe we could see HNL-DEN or HNL-ORD from HA in the future.

They have to respond accordingly since southwest could add six to eight new airports to at least Honolulu and with the etops Max’s starting to be certified in may would mean southwest can through way more planes at Hawaii flying then Hawaiian has available especially to the smaller cities

NCAD95

Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:55 am

DTW-HNL would be great twice weekly would be great. HNL is one of the top 2 O/D unserved markets from Detroit.

MaxTrimm

Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:29 am

NCAD95 wrote:
DTW-HNL would be great twice weekly would be great. HNL is one of the top 2 O/D unserved markets from Detroit.

Out of curiosity, what is the other of the two?

roberthuss

Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:24 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Honolulu to Austin, Ontario, and Orlando are already getting more frequencies.

HNL-AUS goes from 2x weekly to 3x weekly between May 28 and August 13.
HNL-ONT goes from 5x weekly to daily from May 24. It seems to be a permanent increase.
HNL-MCO goes from 2x weekly to 3x weekly between June 1 and August 10.

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/hawaiia ... o-flights/

MCO is performing well and they actually increased to 3x weekly starting at the end of April now.

adamh8297

Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:43 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Looking at Google flights looks like HNL-BOS goes from 3x-5x weekly (Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun) starting May 25th!

Is that an increase compared to before COVID?

I could be wrong but I think 5x weekly was their pre-COVID high schedule. I can’t recall it being more than 5x, but someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I got 25 BOS-HNL departures in July 2019 per Aviation DB (92% LF on the BOS-HNL leg by the way)

25-26 departures per month calculates to 6 weekly. 5 weekly is an average of 22 departures a month. I wouldn't be surprised if they had daily flights planned for S20 before pandemic.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

wnflyguy

Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:01 pm

BNA-HNL would probably be just as successful as AUS.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

MIflyer12

Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:21 pm

NCAD95 wrote:

DL has had the aircraft to fly that ever since the merger (a 763 as a smaller increment of capacity than NW's 332s) and yet doesn't fly it, even with all the connectivity from the northeast and Middle Atlantic for which DTW would be a distance-efficient connection. It's seen nothing but sporadic, short-seasonal service.

KMCOFlyer

Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:16 pm

roberthuss wrote:
MCO is performing well and they actually increased to 3x weekly starting at the end of April now.

Great to hear! They are also doing all of this without any B6 marketing/codeshare on the flight as well!

Ishrion

Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:22 pm

roberthuss wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Honolulu to Austin, Ontario, and Orlando are already getting more frequencies.

HNL-AUS goes from 2x weekly to 3x weekly between May 28 and August 13.
HNL-ONT goes from 5x weekly to daily from May 24. It seems to be a permanent increase.
HNL-MCO goes from 2x weekly to 3x weekly between June 1 and August 10.

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/hawaiia ... o-flights/

Their bookings is still showing the third weekly starting June 1. Are they moving it up to April?
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

Wacko55

Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:37 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I think WN would have something to say about it since BNA is a stronghold and you can connect now to get to the islands.

Wneast

Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:43 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I think WN would have something to say about it since BNA is a stronghold and you can connect now to get to the islands.

What would they do though since they can’t do that flight ? Would the retaliate by adding Hawaii flights elsewhere ?

BoeingGuy

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:14 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.anna.aero/2020/12/10/hawaiian-airlines-reveals-austin-ontario-orlando-we-look-at-demand/

"Booking data obtained via OAG Traffic Analyser shows that Honolulu – Orlando had 66,000 round-trip point-to-point passengers in 2019, while Austin had 39,000 and Ontario 15,000. Crucially, the latter excludes demand leaked from its core catchment to Los Angeles.

Orlando was Honolulu’s second-largest unserved market to the US mainland after Baltimore. Austin, meanwhile, was seventh, behind St Louis (third), San Antonio (fourth), Kansas City (fifth), and Philadelphia (sixth).

To all of Hawaii, Orlando had 101,000 passengers, Austin 83,000, and Ontario 32,000 (again excluding leakage)."

That’s an interesting statistic. 1st and 3rd were previously served. Baltimore once had HNL non-stops on a UA DC-8-62. St.Louis has had AA 707, TWA 767s, and AA 767s. STL had an OGG flight for awhile too.

flymco753

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:27 am

MaxTrimm wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:

According to the DOT in order: SMF (again), HNL, & TUS/ELP virtually tied for 3rd which took the place of ANC. https://data.transportation.gov/d/yj5y-b2ir
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

BoeingGuy

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:35 am

flymco753 wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:

According to the DOT in order: SMF (again), HNL, & TUS/ELP virtually tied for 3rd which took the place of ANC. https://data.transportation.gov/d/yj5y-b2ir

Is DL not flying DTW-HNL now? I thought they flew it in the recent past.

flymco753

Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:19 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:

Is DL not flying DTW-HNL now? I thought they flew it in the recent past.
They've ended it again.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

spinkid

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:32 am

Max Q wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Just remember, Hawaiians travel to. They love Orlando. That's the market here, not Orlando to Hawaii.

Where do Hawaiians travel to ?

Hawaii has very diverse demographics and hence diverse direct flights.
However, they are just above average in terms of how many hold American Citizens hold passports residing there, therefore you see a lot of vacation traffic to the west coast, Like most Americans Las Vegas is a favorite spot. It is sometimes called the ninth island.

Orlando is the huge American tourist spot, so it makes sense, you can also make connections to the rest of Florida and the Caribbean.

Hawaii is always a destiny spot for Americans without passports so no matter what there will be a draw from wherever they fly to.

Inbound traffic makes up a majority of their int'l flights. Asians enjoy shopping there.

The large military presence there will always have traffic of all sorts heading to connecting spots all over the mainland.

Its also the gateway to America for a number of south pacific nations and vice versa.

airportugal310

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:58 am

The idea that HA wants to compete with WN is laughable. Hawaiian is not the Walmart of airlines, and doesn’t aim to be that I know of. They’ve always charged a premium relative to their peers. And let’s not forget that Southwest is the newcomer to Hawaii. They have to compete against EVERYONE. But sure, let the a.net spotty bois tell us how it really goes...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Wneast

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:03 am

airportugal310 wrote:
The idea that HA wants to compete with WN is laughable. Hawaiian is not the Walmart of airlines, and doesn’t aim to be that I know of. They’ve always charged a premium relative to their peers. And let’s not forget that Southwest is the newcomer to Hawaii. They have to compete against EVERYONE. But sure, let the a.net spotty bois tell us how it really goes...

Hawaiian does have its luxury perks but southwest has its huge main land frequent fliers and to be fare Hawaiian could offer it nice product but unless they buy more planes they won’t be able to compete on frequency battle southwest could just add how ever much is profitable

Wneast

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:04 am

Wneast wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

Hawaiian does have its luxury perks but southwest has its huge main land frequent fliers and to be fare Hawaiian could offer it nice product but unless they buy more planes they won’t be able to compete on frequency battle southwest could just add how ever much is profitable

Capacity

smflyer

Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:15 am

airportugal310 wrote:

They absolutely are close to being the Walmart of airlines. They literally operate narrow bodies with an economy pitch of 30" without PTVs and throw you a microwaved sandwich as meal service. At least I know I'm getting 32" pitch on Southwest and their "premium" snacks which I say is equivalent to the microwaved sandwich. The only thing premium about HA is their first class offering or if they have A332 on your route. HA economy on A321 is equivalent if not inferior to WN's service.

airzona11

Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:58 am

airportugal310 wrote:

No airline wants to compete against WN or any airline for that matter. HA has not markets nonstop to themselves. Heck most flights leave within minutes of the competitors. It’s a premium travel market but very commoditized. HA A332s have only 18 premium seats. The least premium seats on any wide body to Hawaii. The a321s have fewer on most or same at best of the narrow bodies going to the islands. Their economy section is similar in spec to WN with exception of PTVs.

They do have meals, which short segments from west coast don’t have. Don’t get me wrong it is a great product and they do a good job. But I don’t think is that arrogant as you suggest.

wnflyguy

Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:53 am

Wacko55 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

WN will probably never have a plane good enough to fight against HA middle America and east coast expansion.
I love my WN dearly but they don't even offer Red Eyes to the west coast yet to even compete with HA for passengers flying HA from AUS.
70% of WN market can't even get a one stop same
Day connection to Hawaii.
The MAX7 ETOPS will probably be ok to feed Hawaii-DEN eventually but that's about as far as they can fly it to be profitable without payload restrictions. That said they still would need Hawaii-DEN,LAS and PHX red Eyes to make a competitive offer against HA.
WN core market will fly to Hawaii via some of the western gateway destinations opening up with the MAX8 Etops. But anyone middle of America will definitely find HA non stops very appealing Vs connecting on WN thru a western gateway city.
HA best bet is to lightly defend its western cities but instead of a all out blood bath against WN. Adding Places like AUS will definitely less competitive cash grab. I wouldn't be surprised if places like BNA,PIT,IND ect ect become Future HA destinations.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

GSP psgr

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:06 am

As far as possible unserved A330 destinations for Hawaiian:

Washington DC Metro: I think it's not impossible that HA could make a go of it from the DC metro area at least a few times weekly. It's a comparable market to BOS, although without much of any JetBlue feed attached to it. I'd skew towards a BWI departure, since it might better lend itself to leakage from the PHL metro area.

Denver: HA flies to PHX, which is an AA hub, so I don't think it's entirely far fetched that HA might try to make it at DEN and see if they can cut in on United's DEN-HNL monopoly. There's probably some market stimulation effects to be had through competition. Again, at least as a few times weekly service it might make some sense.

ORD probably has enough service that it would be tough to break into (if MDW had longer runways maybe it's another discussion); SLC can't sustain 2 carriers. DL and AA would find a way to kill off competition at PHL, MSP and DTW, The likes of CLE, MKE, STL, etc are probably too small; the same for BNA, MSY, and RDU in the South.

obelau24

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:12 am

Not to muddy the water but I think WN has a very competitive product against HA economy class. The legroom and baggage allowance alone makes it a better deal. The “Meal” on HA is overrated and their meal times are so strict you should just assume you’re getting a sandwich. Plus HA customer service on the ground is atrocious, especially in HNL. That being said, I find HA inflight crew have a much higher standard of service than WN - I have yet to see a WN FA who even smiles.

hawaiian717

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:07 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
Denver: HA flies to PHX, which is an AA hub, so I don't think it's entirely far fetched that HA might try to make it at DEN and see if they can cut in on United's DEN-HNL monopoly. There's probably some market stimulation effects to be had through competition. Again, at least as a few times weekly service it might make some sense.

Keep in mind that when Hawaiian started flying to Phoenix, it was an America West hub, not an American Airlines hub, so a much smaller competitor. I'm not sure of the timing, but it might have even been before America West resumed Hawaii service with the 757. America West and Hawaiian were also partners; I once flew ABQ-LAS-HNL on a HawaiianMiles award ticket, with the ABQ-LAS segments operated by America West.

rbavfan

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:26 pm

Antarius wrote:
jayunited wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
AUS and MCO came from waaay out of nowhere. I can't imagine whom is going to use the MCO-HNL flights, are they expecting alot of connecting traffic from Japan?

According to HA's press release HNL-MCO is one of the largest US travel markets without nonstop service. Who knew that was the case??

Quite crazy. But then again, UA, AA and DL can fill widebodies from IAH, DFW and ATL respectively easily. Why anyone would schlep from this side to Hawaii when the caribbean is literally next door has always baffled me. But clearly many do.

Caribbean can be hot and humid with warm water to swim in. Hawaii offers cooloer water and better breezes to keep climate nice. To many times Caribbean has been more of a sweating factory on trips vs Hawaii. That could be one reason. Id rather take a dip in cool water than a dip in warm water when I'm hot.

airbazar

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:56 pm

GSP psgr wrote:

Washington DC Metro: I think it's not impossible that HA could make a go of it from the DC metro area at least a few times weekly. It's a comparable market to BOS, although without much of any JetBlue feed attached to it. I'd skew towards a BWI departure, since it might better lend itself to leakage from the PHL metro area.

Doesn't UA already fly to Hawaii from IAD and DEN? BOS works because no one else flies from New England to Hawaii. It is a sizable market without non-stop service, pre-HA. B6 feed is irrelevant with a 9:25am departure.

GSP psgr

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:36 pm

airbazar wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

Doesn't UA already fly to Hawaii from IAD and DEN? BOS works because no one else flies from New England to Hawaii. It is a sizable market without non-stop service, pre-HA. B6 feed is irrelevant with a 9:25am departure.

UA is flying IAD-HNL now, but it's been an on and off route for them. Sometimes daily, sometimes only as a weekend route. I could see it falling off United's priorities list when things start returning to normal post-COVID. Also keep in mind that a BWI-HNL flight would have somewhat of a different catchment area than IAD-I could see it drawing from the Philadelphia metro area, Delaware, and South Central PA (and even maybe PIT) much more than an IAD flight can. Also keep in mind what a pain in the butt Dulles is in pretty much every single respect there is-it's a terrible airport from an O&D perspective.

United does fly to both HNL and the other islands from Denver, but I posit that it's probably a big enough market to support some competition. If HA had a 321 that could make it that far, it'd be even more appealing.

airbazar

Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:09 pm

GSP psgr wrote:

United does fly to both HNL and the other islands from Denver, but I posit that it's probably a big enough market to support some competition. If HA had a 321 that could make it that far, it'd be even more appealing.

Is it large enough, or does UA leverage it's hub to fill a plane?
I don't think we'll ever see an HA A321 fly DEN-HNL. Westbound = head winds + DEN altitude + Summer heat. Highly unlikely.

Runway765

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:19 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I would definitely think BNA would be in the cards as soon as they get more widebody gates online. People here underestimate BNA, but it’s really a boomtown only a step or two below AUS.

ADent

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:40 pm

UA served 4 cities non-stop from DEN, including two 777s and a double daily HNL pre-COVID.

Seems like HA could make DEN work someway.

stl07

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:15 am

Runway765 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I would definitely think BNA would be in the cards as soon as they get more widebody gates online. People here underestimate BNA, but it’s really a boomtown only a step or two below AUS.

If AUS is successful, I think that it might open the floodgates to places like STL, MCI, BNA, and DTW
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Wneast

Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:00 am

Does anyone know what happen to the new concourse opening in Honolulu it was supposed to be done at the end of 2020 but I can’t find anything g Hawaiian was supposed to move there ?

rbavfan

Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:48 am

Wneast wrote:
Does anyone know what happen to the new concourse opening in Honolulu it was supposed to be done at the end of 2020 but I can’t find anything g Hawaiian was supposed to move there ?

On Google earth you can see the post for the island tram going into the airport along the torn out commuter area and pad locations north of Inter island terminal.

Wneast

Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:51 am

rbavfan wrote:
Wneast wrote:

On Google earth you can see the post for the island tram going into the airport along the torn out commuter area and pad locations north of Inter island terminal.

So when is it supposed to be done ?

azjubilee

Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:05 pm

Wneast wrote:
So when is it supposed to be done ?

This summer.

Ishrion

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:02 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

Keep in mind that when Hawaiian started flying to Phoenix, it was an America West hub, not an American Airlines hub, so a much smaller competitor. I'm not sure of the timing, but it might have even been before America West resumed Hawaii service with the 757. America West and Hawaiian were also partners; I once flew ABQ-LAS-HNL on a HawaiianMiles award ticket, with the ABQ-LAS segments operated by America West.

Hawaiian announced OGG-PHX today, so AA's competition isn't stopping them from continuing to expand into another carrier’s hub.
Last edited by Ishrion on Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

Wneast

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:06 pm

Ishrion wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

Hawaiian announced OGG-PHX today, so AA's competition isn't stopping them.

I wonder if will continue past summer though ?

MIflyer12

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:49 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Hawaiian announced OGG-PHX today, so AA's competition isn't stopping them from continuing to expand into another carrier’s hub.

Announcing a route isn't the same achievement as operating it at a normal profit. See if it's still operating (at the same frequency, or at all) a year from today's announcement. There's a lot of 'better than leaving aircraft parked' route planning going on domestically.

jayunited

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:20 pm

GSP psgr wrote:

UA is flying IAD-HNL now, but it's been an on and off route for them. Sometimes daily, sometimes only as a weekend route. I could see it falling off United's priorities list when things start returning to normal post-COVID. Also keep in mind that a BWI-HNL flight would have somewhat of a different catchment area than IAD-I could see it drawing from the Philadelphia metro area, Delaware, and South Central PA (and even maybe PIT) much more than an IAD flight can. Also keep in mind what a pain in the butt Dulles is in pretty much every single respect there is-it's a terrible airport from an O&D perspective.

IAD-HNL has never been an on and off route for UA, UA has always operated the route seasonally, it has never been a year round flights as the flight primarily depends on O&D traffic. Outside of Summer and the holiday/Christmas season the route has little to no demand. As a result in the vast fluctuation in demand do to its stage length which requires a widebody to operate it, the route isn't profitable outside of the summer and holiday season.

As far as United falling off the route I'm not sure that is going to happen IAD-HNL is scheduled to resume seasonal service this summer.

laser1180

Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:05 pm

And HA will start seasonal PHXOGG with A321neo during the summer seasons. Thoughts, could WN max8 has the range out of PHX or LAS to Hawaii? As far as real live range goes, a321neo or max8 has the longer range?