Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Qantas and Japan Airlines Plan Joint Venture

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:35 am

Qantas and Japan Airlines have announced plans to create a joint business agreement covering flights between Australia/New Zealand and Japan.

The two airlines have already submitted an application and expect to commence the agreement around July 2021 if the JBA is approved.

"Under the proposed five-year agreement, the airlines would deliver substantial benefits for customers and help accelerate the recovery of the tourism, trade and corporate travel links between Australia and Japan, including:"

- An expanded codeshare relationship and optimised schedules on flights between Australia and New Zealand and Japan, opening up more connections to more destinations beyond the major city gateways. Qantas customers would have access to 14 new codeshare destinations in Japan and JAL customers would have access to 15 new codeshare destinations in Australia and New Zealand.

- Enhanced frequent flyer benefits for Qantas and JAL customers, including improved earn of Qantas points or JAL miles on routes under the joint business beyond what is possible today, as well as the ability to upgrade using points or miles on each other’s services.

- Improvements in the customer experience, including streamlined processes for disruption management and investments in product and service inflight and on the ground, designed to better serve the carriers’ joint customers.

- More premium travel opportunities, with Qantas able to offer customers a greater number of Business and Premium Economy seats on flights operated by JAL.

- Coordination of pricing, schedules, sales and tourism marketing to develop new and improved travel products, delivering more choice for customers.

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... -recovery/

Qantas and JAL plan to announce a new route between Australia and Japan "once regulatory approval is received, borders open and demand returns."

RainerBoeing777

Re: Qantas and Japan Airlines Plan Joint Venture

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:55 am

Such good news ! I hope Qantas will be awarded the Virgin Australia HND slot as they will not use it
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG - UA

Kent350787

Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:54 am

Good news for earning better JAL miles when flying QF. Bad news for seat availability on JAL for overseas. Would be good if it meant JL switched back to NRT from SYD
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

zeke

Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:59 am

Sounds like a very smart move, wish them the very best.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

Chipmunk1973

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:08 am

zeke wrote:
Sounds like a very smart move, wish them the very best.

Almost seems like when QF and EK partnered with flights to Europe some years ago and ditched the Kangaroo Route for the Falcon Route.

Although QF went back to LHR flights via SIN, there are still tons of code shares service from SIN and DXB to many Euro airports.

I wonder if the plan with JL is going to be something similar but with a greater focus on Asia?
Cheers,
C1973

B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B762, B763, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
AN, EK, MI, QF, SB.

FromCDGtoSYD

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:34 am

I hope this gets slapped down. Ticket prices between the two countries were high enough as is and a JV would give them enormous pricing power. The number of seats these two airlines offer on the market is enormous compared to NH. Nothing good for the customer here.

Plus any point earning agreement has nothing to do with the JV as QF could decide overnight to unilaterally increase earn on JL, same goes for JL with QF.

Had VA still been in this it would have at least somewhat evened the odds by providing feed and frequent flyers on both sides but right now it would be a big mistake and a huge loss for consumers if they were allowed to proceed with this.

myki

Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:41 am

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
I hope this gets slapped down. Ticket prices between the two countries were high enough as is and a JV would give them enormous pricing power. The number of seats these two airlines offer on the market is enormous compared to NH. Nothing good for the customer here.

Plus any point earning agreement has nothing to do with the JV as QF could decide overnight to unilaterally increase earn on JL, same goes for JL with QF.

Had VA still been in this it would have at least somewhat evened the odds by providing feed and frequent flyers on both sides but right now it would be a big mistake and a huge loss for consumers if they were allowed to proceed with this.

Are VA still in this? If they have the slot allocated to them, doesn't that mean they are still in?
Yes, it is highly likely they won't be flying to HND anytime soon, but what the ACCC (for example) say on this? Any thoughts?

IndianicWorld

Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:54 am

I don’t see this being approved. With VA now quite doubtful to start their planned route for quite some time at least, and NH the only airline as direct competition to QF/JL, there’s really not many ways I can see this going ahead.

The ramp up again on Australia-Japan flights will take some time, so looking at a new route is an interesting one to try and sell as a benefit of this agreement.

FromCDGtoSYD

Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:00 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
The ramp up again on Australia-Japan flights will take some time, so looking at a new route is an interesting one to try and sell as a benefit of this agreement.

I wonder what it would be though, PER? MEL to KIX? AKL? Trying FUK again?
I don't see QF going longhaul from anything other than the triangle and I don't see JL being adventurous as it really isn't how they've operated since bankruptcy.

a320fan

Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:32 am

Sounds like a road to basically a monopoly on direct AU-JP flights. VA no longer even have any wide body long haul aircraft in their fleet so won’t be starting ops anytime soon and I imagine will loose or give up their HND slot. NH have a minuscule presence in AU currently. If VA were strong and operating their HND route, and NH expanded their presence in the market I could see this getting approved, in the current situation where these two are essentially the only operators between the countries I don’t see any reason why it should get the tick.
If it does hopefully the VA slot goes to NH. (Assuming they don’t operate it themselves)
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Capricorn

Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:03 pm

If that gets approved IMO some divestment is needed. Probably giving VA's HND slot (if they don't plan on using it) and one from the JL's or QF to a competitor (NH) or a 5th freedom operator (which is unlikely though). But if under such circumstance a JV would still make sense remains to be seen.

Otherwise when considering JQ the JV would indeed have a very dominant position in direct flights between Japan and Australia.

chonetsao

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:02 pm

My focus is as follow: would JQ's Cairns and Gold Coast - Japan routes included in the JV? If not, would Qantas mainline takes over the said routes?

kriskim

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:16 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

I wonder what it would be though, PER? MEL to KIX? AKL? Trying FUK again?
I don't see QF going longhaul from anything other than the triangle and I don't see JL being adventurous as it really isn't how they've operated since bankruptcy.

I like the sound of MEL-KIX, however the hole would be PER, especially since NH serves PER-NRT. But I am not sure if PER can sustain 2 carriers to Japan.
A world built upon connectivity.

MIflyer12

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:15 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

The enthusiasm for reduction in competition that regularly gets found on a.net is dismaying. Japan isn't likely to get a 3rd strong intercon carrier. Australia couldn't even support two. Other major hubs (SIN, BKK, HKG) are poorly located to provide reasonable one-stop competition in major markets. Effectively just two carriers (JL+QF, and NH) in a long-haul market with major airports long capacity-constrained would pretty predictably be bad for consumers. Regrettably the governments of Japan and Australia may be more interested in driving up fares to support JL/QF/NH than in preserving competition.

ZK-NBT

Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:59 pm

chonetsao wrote:
My focus is as follow: would JQ's Cairns and Gold Coast - Japan routes included in the JV? If not, would Qantas mainline takes over the said routes?

Definitely they would not be flown by QF. Weather JQ is part of the JV would be interesting though.

SueD

Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Usual marketing blurb . Meaning several flights a day on the core Sydney- Tokyo route and everything else canned (Connection each end). Anyone who continues to think these sort of arrangement ever leads to hub bypassing are deluded .

Ishrion
Topic Author

Wed May 05, 2021 11:59 pm

jfk777

Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 am

Kent350787 wrote:
Good news for earning better JAL miles when flying QF. Bad news for seat availability on JAL for overseas. Would be good if it meant JL switched back to NRT from SYD

Why would anyone want JAL to offer a NRT flight when Haneda is clearly superior and closer to Tokyo. That is like suggesting Qantas move their London flights to Gatwick or Stansted. Just plain silly.

Kent350787

Thu May 06, 2021 12:51 am

jfk777 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Why would anyone want JAL to offer a NRT flight when Haneda is clearly superior and closer to Tokyo. That is like suggesting Qantas move their London flights to Gatwick or Stansted. Just plain silly.

It was a personal frustration comment - JL771/772 from SYD previously had good connections to JL7/8 to BOS. It was a perfect option for a regular family destination, with travel time only a little more than via LAX with a consistent product for the whole trip.

The switch to HND removed JL as an option for BOS from SYD..
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

UPlog

Thu May 06, 2021 3:04 pm

Good on the government. Some of these JVs just don't make sense. The market concentration alone should rule out JL/QF.
I fly your boxes

ILNFlyer

Thu May 06, 2021 3:44 pm

With the return to normal flying, perhaps a return to a more competitive market will permit such a JV.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos