Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CIDFlyer
Topic Author

CLT - gate D6

Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:27 pm

I’ve noticed recently that gate D6 at CLT has been used for some American Eagle flights. D is generally all mainline and used for larger flights/planes. Is E maxed out now and could we see some more mainline gates converted for Eagle flights?

JohanTally

Re: CLT - gate D6

Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:38 pm

D6 and D10 are being used for both AA and PSA flights and it should continue into Jan and possibly Feb. Recently D12 was even used for a PSA CR9. The CRJs are handled by Piedmont Gate and Ramp agents. Technically Eagle flights are frequently parked on D and C concourse with the E175s worked by AA mainline Ramp and Gate agents. The big rumor is eventually the E175s will be worked by Piedmont agents on E Concourse once space is available.

usflyer msp

Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:08 pm

D4, D6 and D10 are common-use gates owned by the city. AA has been using them alot more lately in the redesigned COVID-era schedules. Where there are fewer flights, the banks are larger to maximize connectivity and this makes AA actually need more gate space.

kbmiflyer

Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:02 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
I’ve noticed recently that gate D6 at CLT has been used for some American Eagle flights. D is generally all mainline and used for larger flights/planes. Is E maxed out now and could we see some more mainline gates converted for Eagle flights?

I noticed this yesterday. I thought maybe the CR9's were being used for international arrivals or something.

JohanTally wrote:
The big rumor is eventually the E175s will be worked by Piedmont agents on E Concourse once space is available.

This feels like a lot of lift for E, even with the new construction on the north end.

silentbob

Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:15 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
D4, D6 and D10 are common-use gates owned by the city. AA has been using them alot more lately in the redesigned COVID-era schedules. Where there are fewer flights, the banks are larger to maximize connectivity and this makes AA actually need more gate space.

US used to use D4 for the HHH flights almost exclusively at one point.

Cubsrule

Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:40 pm

silentbob wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

US used to use D4 for the HHH flights almost exclusively at one point.

Not just HHH - D4 must have been a Dash-8 gate for close to a decade. With limited international flying much of the day, D - especially the lower-numbered gates - has seen a fair amount of domestic flying for years. It makes for a very pleasant connection to or from Eagle flights.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

JohanTally

Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:52 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:

I noticed this yesterday. I thought maybe the CR9's were being used for international arrivals or something.

JohanTally wrote:
The big rumor is eventually the E175s will be worked by Piedmont agents on E Concourse once space is available.

This feels like a lot of lift for E, even with the new construction on the north end.

It's quite common for E concourse to have no gates available with arrivals on the ground and if a long sitter is blocking a gate the D gates can help them avoid towing off one plane to park another. AA has condensed the flights schedules by reducing banks but often times the remaining banks have as many or more flights than Pre-covid.

Corpsnerd09

Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:53 pm

Same thing is happening at DFW with D40, D38, D37... Lower demand means smaller planes so while mainline is down, regional is up

bigb

Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:57 pm

D Gates have always been used for Eagle Flights, specifically PSA flights that came inbound from Freeport. Lately they used the D Gates during ramp repairs around Spot 27 that shut E17 and E18 down for a bit.

JohanTally

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:02 pm

bigb wrote:
D Gates have always been used for Eagle Flights, specifically PSA flights that came inbound from Freeport. Lately they used the D Gates during ramp repairs around Spot 27 that shut E17 and E18 down for a bit.

FPO is a non customs flight and has never needed a D gate. Connecting bags have to be rescanned by TSA upon arrival this also applies to ELH.

Longhornmaniac

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:27 pm

JohanTally wrote:

Please God no. I love parking at B or C.
Cheers,
Cameron

VX321

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:37 pm

I was surprised when my CRJ used D6 two days ago but it makes sense, I saw lots of regional traffic at E gates.

CLT704

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:44 pm

With the ELH flight up and running again, it requires the PSA flight to park on D when it arrives in Charlotte. As mentioned above, work was being done around gates E17 which required them to use some D gates.

bigb

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:47 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

I don’t see it happening....

alasizon

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:09 pm

bigb wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

I don’t see it happening....

Space available and E don't go together in the same sentence - E is already going to have to re-gate again with the constantly decreasing number of ER4s in the fleet.. More than likely the E175 flights would remain at the current gates and the agents would just work them from there.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

phatfarmlines

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:22 pm

JohanTally wrote:

This will be a return back to the E gates. US/HP had the 170s/175s use the E gates when they were first introduced in CLT in the mid- to late 2000s.

Cubsrule wrote:
Not just HHH - D4 must have been a Dash-8 gate for close to a decade. With limited international flying much of the day, D - especially the lower-numbered gates - has seen a fair amount of domestic flying for years. It makes for a very pleasant connection to or from Eagle flights.

I remember seeing that arraignment, with the airstairs connected to the jetway, though the Google maps satellite view has an AA Airbus parking at that gate.

JohanTally

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:05 pm

CLT704 wrote:
With the ELH flight up and running again, it requires the PSA flight to park on D when it arrives in Charlotte. As mentioned above, work was being done around gates E17 which required them to use some D gates.

Sorry I was wrong about ELH but FPO and NAS are preclearance requiring no customs when arriving in US. The work behind E17 and E19 only went on for about a week but PSA has been using D6 and D10 for about 3 months now.

usflyer msp

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:22 pm

Corpsnerd09 wrote:
Same thing is happening at DFW with D40, D38, D37... Lower demand means smaller planes so while mainline is down, regional is up

Also at PHL, my last 4 E75 flights have left from widebody gates in A-West.

Cubsrule

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:58 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

This will be a return back to the E gates. US/HP had the 170s/175s use the E gates when they were first introduced in CLT in the mid- to late 2000s.

Right. Originally the CR9s used low C gates because they were pmHP aircraft and those were the gates with SHARES. East cut over to SHARES in March of 2007 and at some point thereafter, they switched the E75s to low C and the CR9s to E. My memory is a little hazy but I think that switch was in late 2007 or early 2008.

Boof02671

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:50 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

Right. Originally the CR9s used low C gates because they were pmHP aircraft and those were the gates with SHARES. East cut over to SHARES in March of 2007 and at some point thereafter, they switched the E75s to low C and the CR9s to E. My memory is a little hazy but I think that switch was in late 2007 or early 2008.

HP never flew the CRJs. They were flown by Mesa

dstblj52

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:21 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

correct but they were in the HP system and protocals

Cubsrule

Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:15 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

. . . Which is what I meant. They had to be released through SHARES, so they needed gates with SHARES. There was not a whole lot of pmHP mainline flying at CLT pre-integration so the CR9s were the primary users of the “SHARES gates.”

dstblj52

Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:17 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

. . . Which is what I meant. They had to be released through SHARES, so they needed gates with SHARES. There was not a whole lot of pmHP mainline flying at CLT pre-integration so the CR9s were the primary users of the “SHARES gates.”

Yep

Sdmccray1984

Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:04 am

Speaking of which, what is the deal with C2? That has historically been one of the toughest gates as far as what type of aircraft can use it. Are they doing only E-175s there or are they still trying to squeeze in those A319s?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos