Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

9QCLI
Topic Author

New Boeing's patent on mounting large bypass turbofans. Applicable to 737 MAX ?

Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi all,

I just found out that Boeing has a new patent # 010,814,990 on mounting larger turbofans to jets with short legs such as the 737 MAX. How likely are we to see a MAX redesign to accommodate much larger turbofans ?

Thanks !

alasizon

Re: New Boeing's patent on mounting large bypass turbofans. Applicable to 737 MAX ?

Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:58 pm

Link to the patent: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... 10,814,990

It doesn't sound at all like a 737MAX scenario as one of the claims involves having a high lift device (not composed of the primary wing) directly behind the nacelles which doesn't apply to the MAX.

The aircraft of claim 6, further comprising a modified high lift system operatively coupled to the at least one wing, the modified high lift system comprising one or more high lift devices operatively coupled to the wing leading edge and to the wing trailing edge, the one or more high lift devices comprising: one or more trimmed leading edge devices, each having one or more trimmed portions, the one or more trimmed leading edge devices positioned directly behind the nacelle, and the one or more trimmed portions having a total trimmed length substantially corresponding to a length of a fan diameter of the variable pitch fan; and one or more trailing edge flaps positioned behind the one or more trimmed leading edge devices, the one or more trailing edge flaps having a limited angular motion and a simplified flap architecture.

zuckie13

Re: New Boeing's patent on mounting large bypass turbofans. Applicable to 737 MAX ?

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:33 pm

I doubt this is for 737 work - probably for future clean sheet designs. Maybe NMA.

kanban

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:37 pm

While the illustration attached to application looks like a 737, This could be a precursor to a 737 replacement with a new engine placement.. Years ago in a discussion with a lead propulsion engineer, he stated that splitting the thrust flow over and under the wing was a way to drastically improve performance. I was pooh pooed by A.neters at the time. I doubt Boeing would use this idea to extend the current fuselage, however with an new fuselage and wing it's a possibility.

MohawkWeekend

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:02 pm

Might this have something to do with Boeing's recent purchase of 2 MD-90's from Delta?

Armadillo1

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:31 pm

its not easy to handle this in engine out scenario (different lift on left and right wing).
i doubt it useful at all.

Piepilot

Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:00 am

No different to a turboprop flying single engine.

vrbarreto

Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:58 pm

kanban wrote:
While the illustration attached to application looks like a 737, This could be a precursor to a 737 replacement with a new engine placement.. Years ago in a discussion with a lead propulsion engineer, he stated that splitting the thrust flow over and under the wing was a way to drastically improve performance. I was pooh pooed by A.neters at the time. I doubt Boeing would use this idea to extend the current fuselage, however with an new fuselage and wing it's a possibility.

Is this not a variation of the coanda effect that was used by the An-72?

greg3322

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:46 pm

vrbarreto wrote:
kanban wrote:

Is this not a variation of the coanda effect that was used by the An-72?

And the Boeing YC-14.

Seems like a good idea if the drag penalty is not too great.

Aesma

Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:26 am

I can't imagine Boeing will ever launch a new "improved" 737 version...

hivue

Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:52 am

Aesma wrote:
I can't imagine Boeing will ever launch a new "improved" 737 version...

Well, they certainly won't be launching ANOTHER new improved 737 version at any rate.

Noshow

Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:18 am

How about uncontained engine failures?
That's huge fan blades and their fragments being pretty close to the passengers?

Noshow

Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:39 am

What happened to engine mounts YC-14 style, so ABOVE the wing and good to blow wing upper surfaces and flaps?
Could a CFRP wing be made to withstand the heat of engine exhaust?

DL717

Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:08 am

“The propulsion system of claim 1, wherein the fan flow exhaust, exhausted by the variable pitch fan behind the nacelle, assists in lift of the aircraft during a takeoff flight phase of the aircraft, and during a landing flight phase of the aircraft.”

Vectored thrust anyone?

Noshow

Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:29 am

That will require the mother of all MCAS to trim it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos