Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blerg
Topic Author

Updated: Next COVID-victim: Montenegro Airlines

Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:23 am

Good morning,

Bad news coming from the small country of Montenegro. Their national airline, Montenegro Airlines (YM) is warning that it faces grounding over lack of cash and government support.

Over the summer, YM received €10 million in July and a further €25 million in August. Since then they have not received any aid which is why October salaries have not been paid and they risk not being able to pay other expenses like airplane leases or airport charges.

Recently they announced that their revenue had tumbled and that passenger numbers have been rather weak due to the ongoing corona-crisis. Only destination outside the summer season that can sustain at least daily flights is Podgorica-Belgrade. All others see 2-3 weekly flights.

Montenegro toppled a despotic ruler this August who ruled over the country for close to 30 years. A new government is about to be formed and we have to see what they will do regarding YM. Given that the airline kept on accumulating losses over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if they shut them down.

Source:
https://www.exyuaviation.com/2020/11/mo ... sible.html
Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated after merging threads

lightsaber

Re: YM warns of possible grounding

Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:57 am

It doesn't sound good:
https://www.exyuaviation.com/2020/11/mo ... e.html?m=1

Montenegro Airlines has seen its passenger numbers decline 77.2% during the first three quarters of the year as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, with Belgrade and Paris its busiest routes. The airline welcomed 123.447 travellers on board its aircraft during the January - September period, while its average cabin load factor fell from 70% in 2019 to 54% so far this year.

While connectivity is important, post crisis, I would expect letting LCCs enter the market would be a much lower cost solution.

This winter, airline bankruptcies are expected. Traffic is predicted in Europe to be 25% of 2019:

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ies-541102

Expect European airline bankruptcies by the end of this winter.

This isn't over until mass vaccine distribution, that is probably six months away for eastern Europe (my opinion) and probably not full Global coverage until 2Q 2022. That is with the fastest vaccine development in history.

Lightsaber

Blerg
Topic Author

Re: YM warns of possible grounding

Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:17 am

lightsaber wrote:
It doesn't sound good:
https://www.exyuaviation.com/2020/11/mo ... e.html?m=1

Montenegro Airlines has seen its passenger numbers decline 77.2% during the first three quarters of the year as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, with Belgrade and Paris its busiest routes. The airline welcomed 123.447 travellers on board its aircraft during the January - September period, while its average cabin load factor fell from 70% in 2019 to 54% so far this year.

While connectivity is important, post crisis, I would expect letting LCCs enter the market would be a much lower cost solution.

This winter, airline bankruptcies are expected. Traffic is predicted in Europe to be 25% of 2019:

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ies-541102

Expect European airline bankruptcies by the end of this winter.

This isn't over until mass vaccine distribution, that is probably six months away for eastern Europe (my opinion) and probably not full Global coverage until 2Q 2022. That is with the fastest vaccine development in history.

Lightsaber

LCCs are already present on the Montenegrin market with both Wizz Air and Ryanair adding new destinations over the past few years. That's one of the reasons why the situation at YM has become so dire. With JU covering New York and Europe with multiple daily flights and LCCs taking care of the point to point market, YM has become a relic, an expensive relic that is.

davidjohnson6

Re: Montenegro Airlines warns of possible grounding

Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:30 pm

Montenegro Air was in deep trouble in 2019, well before Covid

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:19 am

davidjohnson6

Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:42 am

Montenegro's population is not large/wealthy enough to need their own airline. Tivat will attract airlines from across Europe in summer. For Podgorica, particularly in winter, perhaps an approach similiar to North Macedonia would work - namely some sort of PSO scheme on specific business/connectivity routes with airlines bidding competitively every few years for a subsidy

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:40 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Montenegro's population is not large/wealthy enough to need their own airline. Tivat will attract airlines from across Europe in summer. For Podgorica, particularly in winter, perhaps an approach similiar to North Macedonia would work - namely some sort of PSO scheme on specific business/connectivity routes with airlines bidding competitively every few years for a subsidy

The situation between SKP and TGD is not really the same, even without subsidies, Podgorica handles more than SKP did before they invited Wizz Air. In 2019 their numbers grew from 1.208.525 to 1.297.365. Also, the new government already said that the budget is empty and the very first day they had to get a loan in order to avoid bankruptcy. I don't see them providing subsidies, at least not right away. Before Wizz Air, SKP had 700-800.000 passenger a year.

I think foreign carriers will simply boost existing flights and that would be it.

lowwkjax

Next COVID-victim: Montenegro Airlines

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:02 pm

Montenegro Airlines will not receive funds from the government and cease operations soon (no date said yet).

Sorry, link in German only:
https://kurier.at/wirtschaft/montenegro ... /401139456

oldJoe

Re: Next COVID-victim: Montenegro Airlines

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:49 pm

lowwkjax wrote:
Montenegro Airlines will not receive funds from the government and cease operations soon (no date said yet).

I read the article but when this airline has already 50 million € debt for staff from 2016 it`s not really a COVID-victim at all.
But still sad another airline will bite the dust !

lowwkjax

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:00 pm

oldJoe wrote:
lowwkjax wrote:

I read the article but when this airline has already 50 million € debt for staff from 2016 it`s not really a COVID-victim at all.
But still sad another airline will bite the dust !

We don’t know if an ever growing market would’ve saved it before COVID gave it the rest, so I’d say still a COVID victim after all. But as you said, still sad.

ahj2000

Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:15 am

I once saw their F100 (I think?) at FCO in 2012. Sad to see another one go, yet certainly follows the trend of not everyone needs their own flag carrier, especially one smaller than the Wichita MSA.

davidjohnson6

Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:28 am

Montenegro Air was never going to work. It's main beach hub, Tivat, was far better served by aircraft based in Europe's major cities that fly business-centric routes on Mon-Fri. That left Podgorica - an airline trying to survive solely on O&D traffic for a population under 200,000 with low incomes and modest tourist demand

Podgorica needs specific routes - let Wizzair go and do their thing like Vilnius, Pristina or Skopje. Meanwhile, let the Montenegrin taxpayer be relieved of having to continually pay money into a black hole and instead improve the country's infrastructure - eg improve roads and schools

Using Govt cash to create a new Montenegrin airline is pointless - it will just repeat the mistake Lithuania made with Air Litaunica - which went bankrupt after a few years and people finally learned the hard way that Wizzair and the free market were Lithuania's best option
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sokes

Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:36 am

ahj2000 wrote:
...certainly follows the trend of not everyone needs their own flag carrier, especially one smaller than the Wichita MSA.

That would deserve an own topic. But let's discuss it here.
Can anybody expand?
What other countries have no flag carrier?
What countries should have a flag carrier?

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:46 am

According to this link (in Serbian) the Montenegrin government has officially said that they plan on shutting down Montenegro Airlines as there are no legal ways in which they can give them more state aid. Minister also added that YM can't get a loan as they can't pay it back.
I suppose the government isn't willing to provide them with guarantees as they know they will end up paying it.

According to another source salaries have been late for months now while the airline has not paid salary taxes to the government since 2016.

Government said they have a plan to set up a new airline but they will need 6 to 8 months to do it. From my experience once an airline is shut down it's not coming back.

I guess YM's days are numbered.

http://www.politika.rs/scc/clanak/46946 ... ro-erlajnz

Antarius

Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:08 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Montenegro Air was never going to work. It's main beach hub, Tivat, was far better served by aircraft based in Europe's major cities that fly business-centric routes on Mon-Fri. That left Podgorica - an airline trying to survive solely on O&D traffic for a population under 200,000 with low incomes and modest tourist demand

Podgorica needs specific routes - let Wizzair go and do their thing like Vilnius, Pristina or Skopje. Meanwhile, let the Montenegrin taxpayer be relieved of having to continually pay money into a black hole and instead improve the country's infrastructure - eg improve roads and schools

Using Govt cash to create a new Montenegrin airline is pointless - it will just repeat the mistake Lithuania made with Air Litaunica - which went bankrupt after a few years and people finally learned the hard way that Wizzair and the free market were Lithuania's best option

Ding ding ding!

Covid is the perfect excuse to throw out rubbish that should have been thrown out a long time ago. Some of these ventures are hard to shut down as it loses face. Covid is the perfect reason to do so.

One silver lining in an otherwise awful year

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:12 am

Antarius wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Ding ding ding!

Covid is the perfect excuse to throw out rubbish that should have been thrown out a long time ago. Some of these ventures are hard to shut down as it loses face. Covid is the perfect reason to do so.

Montenegro Airlines was never set up with the idea of it becoming a commercially successful airline. It was set up as a system through which DPS (political party) hires loyal party members. There is a saying in Montenegro, one employee working for the state brings 4 votes. Making comments such as yours only shows how little you know of the way things work in the Balkans.

DPS and Milo Djukanovic lost the election after 30 years and a new democratically elected government took over. National treasury is empty, there's no money, the government started selling assets and on the first day they had to get a loan in order to avoid bankruptcy.

Montenegro Airlines as one of the main symbols of the past era must go. Simple as that.

bluecrew

Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:32 am

Sokes wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
...certainly follows the trend of not everyone needs their own flag carrier, especially one smaller than the Wichita MSA.

Can anybody expand?

Can think of a few that no longer have one that are significantly larger than Montenegro:
Hungary (MALEV liquidated, no replacement)
Slovakia
Slovenia (Adria liquidated 2019)
Lithuania

Others where they have a domestic airline that is owned either 49% or majority by another carrier:
Cyprus
Estonia

Greece also stands out to me as a prominent example of a country where the flag carrier used to be a big airline with a large network and now they're a regional carrier. I think within 5 years you'll see Alitalia looking a lot like Olympic, too, focused mostly on a few regional flights and mostly domestic air travel.

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:52 am

bluecrew wrote:
Sokes wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

Can anybody expand?

Can think of a few that no longer have one that are significantly larger than Montenegro:
Slovakia
Lithuania

Others where they have a domestic airline that is owned either 49% or majority by another carrier:
Cyprus
Estonia

Greece also stands out to me as a prominent example of a country where the flag carrier used to be a big airline with a large network and now they're a regional carrier. I think within 5 years you'll see Alitalia looking a lot like Olympic, too, focused mostly on a few regional flights and mostly domestic air travel.

Greece is a bit specific as the state owned OA was bought by MIG about a decade ago only to be sold off to Aegean.

davidjohnson6

Re: Updated: Next COVID-victim: Montenegro Airlines

Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:59 am

Kosovo doesn't have an airline
North Macedonia doesn't have an airline
Bosnia has an airline only on paper - FlyBosnia isn't taking any bookings and I don't see them operating flights long term

The Yugoslavia of the 1980s is now 7 countries. The 2 largest and richest, Croatia and Serbia still have their own functioning airlines. The rest don't. Montenegro doesn't have the population or money comparable to Croatia or Serbia

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:08 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Kosovo doesn't have an airline
North Macedonia doesn't have an airline
Bosnia has an airline only on paper - FlyBosnia isn't taking any bookings and I don't see them operating flights long term

The Yugoslavia of the 1980s is now 7 countries. The 2 largest and richest, Croatia and Serbia still have their own functioning airlines. The rest don't. Montenegro doesn't have the population or money comparable to Croatia or Serbia

Well, Kosovo doesn't even have full recognition so it would be silly for them to set up an airline. As for the six ex-Yugoslav republics in the end we are going to be left with Air Serbia, Ryanair and Wizz Air. Long-term I don't see Croatia Airlines making it. They were struggling even before COVID and have been selling assets to stay afloat (Pleso prevoz, LHR slots and so on).

SCQ83

Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:34 am

Antarius wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Ding ding ding!

I also don't see the advantage of a local carrier which is unknown abroad.

I flew a few years ago to Skopje pretty much because I found some dirty cheap Wizz Air tickets (and I was curious to visit a very unknown country). But would I have ever forked 200 euros to fly in a "Macedonian Airlines" with a dodgy website?. Probably not. Interestingly my flights of Macedonia (despite being "ethnic" routes clearly targeted at the Macedonian diaspora in Europe) had a few other foreigners like me. So pretty much we visited Macedonia because of Wizz Air.

Much cheaper and efficient to pay Ryanair or Wizz Air to set a couple of planes in TGD or TIV.

bluecrew

Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:50 am

Blerg wrote:
bluecrew wrote:
Sokes wrote:
Can anybody expand?

Slovakia
Lithuania

Cyprus
Estonia

Greece is a bit specific as the state owned OA was bought by MIG about a decade ago only to be sold off to Aegean.

That clearly was not the point I was making. Olympic saw a slow decline and the debt crisis finished them, but it wasn't overnight. From the outside, it looked exactly like MALEV and exactly like what Alitalia is looking like now. A slow, slow decline and years spent in and out of bankruptcy. The same has happened in the US often since deregulation.

Antarius

Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:38 pm

Blerg wrote:
Antarius wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Ding ding ding!

Montenegro Airlines was never set up with the idea of it becoming a commercially successful airline. It was set up as a system through which DPS (political party) hires loyal party members. There is a saying in Montenegro, one employee working for the state brings 4 votes. Making comments such as yours only shows how little you know of the way things work in the Balkans.

DPS and Milo Djukanovic lost the election after 30 years and a new democratically elected government took over. National treasury is empty, there's no money, the government started selling assets and on the first day they had to get a loan in order to avoid bankruptcy.

Montenegro Airlines as one of the main symbols of the past era must go. Simple as that.

I appreciate the added detail. However, I don't see how this contradicts anything I said.

FiscAutTecGarte

Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:23 pm

I do like the stylized falcon drawing on their tail. That has nothing to do with their survival... I know.

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:38 pm

It's over, this evening just after 19.30 last Montenegro Airlines' E95 departed Belgrade. Airline has officially ceased operations.

Here is a link to their Instagram page where they posted about them being grounded.

https://www.instagram.com/montenegro_airlines/

devron

Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:56 pm

I flew this airline a few years ago just to fly the F100 once more. Sad to see then gone.

JA

Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:30 am

They are likely to regret this.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:34 am

JA wrote:

Have you seen the debt YM has?

JA

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:29 pm

Blerg wrote:
JA wrote:

EX YU Aviation is quite the resource. I have been following that cluster of airlines (Croatia, Air Serbia, Adria, Montenegro) for the last three years. The comment section on that website is absolute gold.

It is easier to restructure an existing airline than to start a new one. If Montenegro doesn't want to clean up YM, it does not have the capability to start a new airline. Ask Slovenia about it.

"We will subsidize flights to LJU". Then, you count the money and it isn't real money. It was cheaper for them to prop up Adria and allow Adria to run like a business.

Would I take on the job of fixing Montenegro Airlines? Of course I would. I would run it like a regional airline and serve the needs of the entire ex-Yu area instead of just one country. I actually put that schedule on paper recently before the shutdown. I would work alongside JU in a way that both firms would make money. Ju would welcome that as well. YM wasn't run as an airline despite flying planes. The appetite to start a new airline in a low demand period is almost zero. I do not expect them to be ready for summer in any form or fashion. It will be totally left to the foreign airlines that decide to fly there.

The difference between me and the folks at YM now is that I am not from this area. That means that regionalizing the flying isn't going to be a cultural problem for me. Folks have been telling these countries to pick 1-2 carriers they like and team up and they have refused. The question is not whether YM can work. It is whether people that CAN make it work will be allowed to do so. You don't shut an airline down on two days notice and expect people to trust you. It is a mixed bag and the lessors look at this kind of behavior when pricing the lease of new planes.

Am I going to ask to get involved? I am giving myself the week to think it over.

diverted

Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:20 pm

JA wrote:
Blerg wrote:
JA wrote:

EX YU Aviation is quite the resource. I have been following that cluster of airlines (Croatia, Air Serbia, Adria, Montenegro) for the last three years. The comment section on that website is absolute gold.

It is easier to restructure an existing airline than to start a new one. If Montenegro doesn't want to clean up YM, it does not have the capability to start a new airline. Ask Slovenia about it.

"We will subsidize flights to LJU". Then, you count the money and it isn't real money. It was cheaper for them to prop up Adria and allow Adria to run like a business.

Would I take on the job of fixing Montenegro Airlines? Of course I would. I would run it like a regional airline and serve the needs of the entire ex-Yu area instead of just one country. I actually put that schedule on paper recently before the shutdown. I would work alongside JU in a way that both firms would make money. Ju would welcome that as well. YM wasn't run as an airline despite flying planes. The appetite to start a new airline in a low demand period is almost zero. I do not expect them to be ready for summer in any form or fashion. It will be totally left to the foreign airlines that decide to fly there.

The difference between me and the folks at YM now is that I am not from this area. That means that regionalizing the flying isn't going to be a cultural problem for me. Folks have been telling these countries to pick 1-2 carriers they like and team up and they have refused. The question is not whether YM can work. It is whether people that CAN make it work will be allowed to do so. You don't shut an airline down on two days notice and expect people to trust you. It is a mixed bag and the lessors look at this kind of behavior when pricing the lease of new planes.

Am I going to ask to get involved? I am giving myself the week to think it over.

Ex-Yu's comments section is pretty great, I'll give you that.

My perception is similar to yours - the nationalism is the problem, and it's a problem with a lot more than aviation. The fall of Yugoslavia set that region back decades. They need one carrier for the region, not one or two per country. Air Serbia has been in the news lately as Etihad's trying to get out of holding the bag on them.

The politics of things are definitely different than what I'm used to as a westerner, and it definitely doesn't help the airlines. Lovely region, tons of history and culture. But also lots of nepotism and bigotry as well. Again, extending well beyond just their airlines.

oldJoe

Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:04 pm

diverted wrote:
JA wrote:
Blerg wrote:

My perception is similar to yours - the nationalism is the problem, and it's a problem with a lot more than aviation. The fall of Yugoslavia set that region back decades. They need one carrier for the region, not one or two per country. Air Serbia has been in the news lately as Etihad's trying to get out of holding the bag on them.

The politics of things are definitely different than what I'm used to as a westerner, and it definitely doesn't help the airlines. Lovely region, tons of history and culture. But also lots of nepotism and bigotry as well. Again, extending well beyond just their airlines.

Yes , nationalism is the problem here at all ! There are so many interesting places in this region.
I myself would not bet on Etihad when I keep in mind what they tried and went down south in the last years , loosing big bucks.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:40 am

JA wrote:
Blerg wrote:
JA wrote:

Don't take this as an offense but I think people who are not from this region should not get too involved as they usually create more problems than solutions.

Ex-YU region as such is old news, it was artificially created back in 1918 which is why it ended up like that. Air Serbia was the first and only airline in that region to realize that when they started expanding in places like Larnaca, Thessaloniki, Tirana, Beirut, Sofia, Krasnodar, Rostov and so on. They realized there is a world beyond this poor region with shrinking population. It's exactly because of that they have a future. Croatia Airlines is still stuck where they are, they seem to be unable to break their chains and to actually build a network east of SKP. They did launch flights to places like Bucharest but those operate only three times per week in summer and connect only to their domestic network. Compare that to JU which planned to operate nine weekly to OTP with both daytime and nighttime flights. They offered all of Europe and JFK via BEG.

Airlines such as MAT, Air B&H, Adria, Montenegro Airlines... simply had no future. They were too small, their home airports had good connections to main hubs and LCCs started to expand into their territory. What benefit would ex-YU airports have from what you are proposing? None. Airports are starting to realize that their future lies not in attracting struggling, half-dead businesses but rather competitive airlines which can boost their passenger numbers and with it their revenue. Look at what INI has done. They have (or had before covid) flights by both Wizz Air and Ryanair plus a whole bunch of subsidized flights by Air Serbia. If I remember well, this November INI and LJU had about the same number of passengers.

So it's not about letting people who can (supposedly) do it do their job. It's about finally making sure that those who are coming from the West have realistic solutions to our problems. Funding various Western wet dreams is simply not a solution in a region that has been struggling financially for decades.

As for MNE's future, well, good news is that Air Serbia is already reacting. I see they added today a 19.00 departure to TGD on the A319 in addition to the existing flight at 13.45.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:48 am

diverted wrote:
JA wrote:
Blerg wrote:

So ex-YU region needs one airline with multiple hubs and it's because of nationalism that we do not have it? Tell me, is it also because of nationalism that BA isn't operating multiple hubs out of the UK? Or why is KL so focused on AMS and is not expanding in places like EIN? Why is LH ignoring places like DUS, STR or TXL?

What you have in the west is what we should have in the east. In the end, ex-YU region will be left with Air Serbia operating a hub out of BEG with some flights from INI and KVO and then LCCs such as Wizz Air and Ryanair taking over the rest. Look at JU's ex-YU network, it's pretty decent, from my memory this is what they planned for summer 2020.

LJU 19x (17 from BEG, 2 from INI)
ZAG 12x
PUY 3x
RJK 2x
ZAD 3x
SPU 7x
DBV 7x
BNX 5x
SJJ 7x
TIV can't remember now but it was close to 30 weekly flights
TGD 21x
SKP 14x
INI base with three flights a day
KVO flights to VIE and SKG

Unless something drastic changes at OU, I think sooner rather than later they will share the same fate as YM, JP, JA and so on.

Sokes

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:52 am

Blerg wrote:
Ex-YU region as such is old news, it was artificially created back in 1918 which is why it ended up like that.

All nations are artificially created, so is the EU.
Financial help packages, vaccine order...
The nation state is on the retreat in Europe.
We don't even have a common language, nor does India.

Pitty nation building didn't work out for Yugoslavia.

DTVG

Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:10 am

An airline from a small country with a relatively impotent economy fails (after being kept alive for too long with the help of the government). Doesn’t this happen every year somewhere else...

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:05 am

Air Serbia boosts its presence in Montenegro.

https://www.exyuaviation.com/2020/12/ai ... tions.html

JA

Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:07 am

Thank you for your input, Blerg.

The reason why BA doesn't have multiple hubs is because no one is forcing them to do so. That is why other airlines popped up to fill the void. That is why other airlines continue to pop up to fill that void. In fact, FR's business model consists of tons of cities with point to point operations that bypass hubs. That is what FR, U2, and W6 do for a living.

This is what YM should be doing in Montenegro. They should be flying point to point when it is busy and they should scale back when it is not. They should fly other routes that do not start or end in Montenegro on a seasonal basis to balance off the weaker months if those opportunities are available. They should schedule their aircraft more efficiently and keep just one plane flying on weaker days. They should adopt an LCC style mentality of price segmentation so that they can make it more affordable for everyone to travel.

How much of YM's debt is owed to the Montenegrin government? I am hearing about unpaid taxes and benefits stretching from 2016. I am also hearing about debt to airports. How much money is owed to Montenegrin airports? What are they paying on the E195s? Did they ask the lessors for payment deferrals? I am hearing that the airline owes EUR 50M, but when you start telling me about money that a state-owned entity owes to the government, I feel like someone is lying to me. The government isn't going to take real cash to fix that problem.

So, here's how someone from the West might fix this problem:
1) I point out that the chances of setting up a new carrier in time for the 2021 tourist season is ZERO and it will be political suicide to lose two summers in a row.
2) I ask Montenegro to forgive all of YM's debt to the state.
3) I ask Montenegro for backing to lease four more E195s.
4) I cede TGD-BEG to JU for one year to satisfy the European Commission regarding state aid.
5) I go to Slovenia and offer to be their designated flag carrier for a one year trial if they are willing to put some money on the table. I would hire SEASONAL Slovenian staff (March-October or March-December).
6) I would implement a revenue segmentation program similar to the LCCs.
7) I would cut YM's headcount in half.
8) During the off-peak, I would concentrate YM flying to/from CDG or AMS and maybe SVO. I would get a codeshare from AF.
9) I would ask Montenegro and Slovenia to create a fly-in program where they would pre-purchase a certain amount of seats from certain originating cities. The program would be designed to connect hotels with available seats and provide liquidity for airlines.

MartijnNL

Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:08 am

Goodbye Montenegro Airlines! You added diversity at European airports. Observing your Embraer and Fokker jets was always a pleasure. I liked your aircraft types and tail design much more than those of easyJet, Ryanair and Wizz Air.

A nice overview of the history of Montenegro Airlines (thanks to members of airliners.net to point out this website, as I had never heard of it; it certainly looks good):
https://www.exyuaviation.com/2020/12/mo ... 0.html?m=1

Another article states that "The government plans to set up a new national carrier." We will have to see where that ends.
https://www.exyuaviation.com/2020/12/mo ... r.html?m=1

“We plan to establish a completely new airline, with a different structure and business model. We are aware what that means for the upcoming tourism season because it will take us some six to nine months to establish a new carrier. We will do everything we can for the new company to become operative by the start of the next tourism season. We will start work on the new airline immediately”, the Minister said.

Maybe 2021 will see the light of Air Montenegro?

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:31 am

JA wrote:
Thank you for your input, Blerg.

The reason why BA doesn't have multiple hubs is because no one is forcing them to do so. That is why other airlines popped up to fill the void. That is why other airlines continue to pop up to fill that void. In fact, FR's business model consists of tons of cities with point to point operations that bypass hubs. That is what FR, U2, and W6 do for a living.

This is what YM should be doing in Montenegro. They should be flying point to point when it is busy and they should scale back when it is not. They should fly other routes that do not start or end in Montenegro on a seasonal basis to balance off the weaker months if those opportunities are available. They should schedule their aircraft more efficiently and keep just one plane flying on weaker days. They should adopt an LCC style mentality of price segmentation so that they can make it more affordable for everyone to travel.

How much of YM's debt is owed to the Montenegrin government? I am hearing about unpaid taxes and benefits stretching from 2016. I am also hearing about debt to airports. How much money is owed to Montenegrin airports? What are they paying on the E195s? Did they ask the lessors for payment deferrals? I am hearing that the airline owes EUR 50M, but when you start telling me about money that a state-owned entity owes to the government, I feel like someone is lying to me. The government isn't going to take real cash to fix that problem.

So, here's how someone from the West might fix this problem:
1) I point out that the chances of setting up a new carrier in time for the 2021 tourist season is ZERO and it will be political suicide to lose two summers in a row.
2) I ask Montenegro to forgive all of YM's debt to the state.
3) I ask Montenegro for backing to lease four more E195s.
4) I cede TGD-BEG to JU for one year to satisfy the European Commission regarding state aid.
5) I go to Slovenia and offer to be their designated flag carrier for a one year trial if they are willing to put some money on the table. I would hire SEASONAL Slovenian staff (March-October or March-December).
6) I would implement a revenue segmentation program similar to the LCCs.
7) I would cut YM's headcount in half.
8) During the off-peak, I would concentrate YM flying to/from CDG or AMS and maybe SVO. I would get a codeshare from AF.
9) I would ask Montenegro and Slovenia to create a fly-in program where they would pre-purchase a certain amount of seats from certain originating cities. The program would be designed to connect hotels with available seats and provide liquidity for airlines.

And that's where Western idealism comes crashing down like a wave on rocks. Why would the new, extremely pro-Serbian government in Montenegro go for a deal with Slovenia? Makes no sense.
Why would Slovenia be interested in a deal with Montenegro?
Furthermore, BEG-MNE market had something 530.000 passengers last year so by giving up BEG-TGD (around 220.000 last year) would be suicide. BEG is the only destination out of TGD that can sustain multiple daily flights on a year-round basis. Others have 2-3 weekly frequencies.

Montenegro is home to some 600.000 people. Market is just too small.

diverted

Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:46 am

[quote="Blerg"
And that's where Western idealism comes crashing down like a wave on rocks. Why would the new, extremely pro-Serbian government in Montenegro go for a deal with Slovenia? Makes no sense.
[/quote]

Is that not the problem being highlighted here? "Why would the pro Serbian government make a deal with Slovenia." Nationalism's the problem. Until people in the Balkans get over that, nothing's going to change. Still bickering over petty crap and it's holding the region back by decades.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:48 am

diverted wrote:
[quote="Blerg"

Is that not the problem being highlighted here? "Why would the pro Serbian government make a deal with Slovenia." Nationalism's the problem. Until people in the Balkans get over that, nothing's going to change. Still bickering over petty crap and it's holding the region back by decades.[/quote]

Actually this has nothing to do with nationalism. It has to do with his proposal being a bad idea that can't work in practice since demand is not there to justify it. JP and YM failed for a reason, somehow mixing two failed projects won't give you a successful one.

You might want to give us a break with your holier than thou attitude.

JA

Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:12 pm

The fact that the new Montenegrin government is pro-Serbian has nothing to do with market demand. I asked a commercial question and you gave me a political answer. That is why diverted reacted in this manner. I don't think he/she believes they are better than you.

The question is whether the ex-Yu states can work together to build a pie together that is bigger than each country can build on their own. You are confident that JU can be the primary regional carrier. JU was forced to go through a process which made them more commercial in nature as a result of Etihad's investment. It more or less worked. I don't think there is any question that JU can make money as long as the economy is somewhat normal.

The reason Slovenia would be interested is that they are looking at starting their own national carrier. What if they only had to carry 1/2 an airline instead of a full one? Would that discussion interest them? Did anyone bother to ask? Is Slovenia + Montenegro enough for an airline to work with? I do not think it is an unreasonable question. It may be Western idealism as a factual matter, but it would be a matter of perspective as opposed to a logistics or a commercial problem.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:40 pm

I already explained to you that those two markets are too small to sustain national carriers. Even JP was forced to expand elsewhere to compensate for what they lacked at home. I remember their CEO spoke about shortages of the Slovenian market which pushed them to expand in places like Paderborn, Lodz, Tirana or Pristina. Even when those markets opened their doors to JP it still wasn't enough. You can find these interviews on Ex-Yu Aviation portal.

I repeated ten times already what are the economic restrictions on top of political ones. I gave you concrete examples yet you still think that a Slovenian-Montenegrin airline can work even once you give up on the biggest and most lucrative market: BEG-TGD.
We do not have to ask or to wonder, we just need to remember what happened in the past.

As for the new government in Montenegro, they are extremely pro-Serbian so if they are going to make a deal with anyone it will be (Air) Serbia. There are no deep emotional, cultural, religious or linguistic links between Slovenia and Montenegro. I doubt your message would resonate much in Ljubljana especially since their Montenegrin counterparts are broke.

Slovenian government might be talking of a new carrier all they want but they still haven't done much to make it happen. What I see happening is the market eventually recovering, LJU getting more flights and the situation stabilizing. They will give up on this silly idea and we will move on with our lives.

Air Serbia has already stepped up its game in both TGD and TIV while foreign carriers will eventually step in to take their share of the market.

JA

Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:50 pm

Blerg wrote:
I already explained to you that those two markets are too small to sustain national carriers. Even JP was forced to expand elsewhere to compensate for what they lacked at home. I remember their CEO spoke about shortages of the Slovenian market which pushed them to expand in places like Paderborn, Lodz, Tirana or Pristina. Even when those markets opened their doors to JP it still wasn't enough. You can find these interviews on Ex-Yu Aviation portal.

Every single carrier that flies into LJU and TGD have to balance seasonality. The LCCs have to reduce capacity and fly somewhere else in the winter. They park some of their planes and send them in for heavy maintenance. The network carriers send fewer flights and/or shrink their plane size. They are supposed to do that. It is not a market thing. It is a management thing. The charter carriers work the same way.

Blerg wrote:
I repeated ten times already what are the economic restrictions on top of political ones. I gave you concrete examples yet you still think that a Slovenian-Montenegrin airline can work even once you give up on the biggest and most lucrative market: BEG-TGD.
We do not have to ask or to wonder, we just need to remember what happened in the past.

The past can tell us about the size and strength of the market. The numbers don't tell us much about management. The discussion around YM continues to be about purpose and management, not demand.

Here are three markets with no competition from TGD:
CDG - 42,894 (95 pax/flight)
ZRH - 28,294 (69 pax/flight)
FRA - 27,569 (80 pax/flight)

What else would I look to fly from TGD if I ran YM?
VIE - 87,162 (84 pax/flight)
FCO - 45,748 (61 pax/flight)
WAW - 51,341 (81 pax/flight)
LJU - 55,758 (62 pax/flight)

I will show you how to solve the BEG (312,301) issue shortly.

Why these markets? Smaller planes are used on them, so YM would have more pricing power. By the way, absolutely no more Moscow. It uses a LOT of aircraft time.

Blerg wrote:
There are no deep emotional, cultural, religious or linguistic links between Slovenia and Montenegro. I doubt your message would resonate much in Ljubljana especially since their Montenegrin counterparts are broke.

Slovenia is not asking for airlines with deep, emotional ties to fly to LJU. They are asking for reliable network connectivity. LH, AF/KLM, BA all have deep emotional ties to money. They are historically tied to a region, but now they are tied to large piles of money.

I can base a YM plane in LJU, staff with seasonal Slovenian employees, and fly between 3-5 routes with little or no competition all year round. I would fly nothing over 3 hours except to places like London. I can generate significantly more traffic doing that than splitting traffic to BEG.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:04 pm

Ugh. For most destinations you listed, YM had code-share agreement meaning that those numbers are not merely point to point passengers but transfers as well. Furthermore, what makes you think YM got a good enough deal from airlines like AF, OS and so on?

Also when listing those numbers, why don't you post how many of them flew in the three summer months and then how many of them were there between October and May.

Airlines like Wizz Air and Ryanair might adjust their seasonal offer to Montenegro but they still have some winter markets they can boost, YM didn't have that luxury. In other words, once winter comes they had to rely on BEG to keep their fleet in the air. Destinations such as Paris or Vienna were operated 2 to 3 times per week.

Anyway, good luck with your little project. I give it maximum to to three months.

SCQ83

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:06 pm

Ex-Yu does not need any national carrier.

If anything it will be Air Serbia as a mini-regional carrier (with a hub in BEG) and Croatia Airlines serving the coast from ZAG and other Star Alliance hubs.

IMO Croatia Airlines should become a feeder to Lufthansa Group like Air Dolomoti + the Croatian domestic routes.

And Air Serbia realign themselves with some alliance or group after Etihad leaving. However JU is too small and the market too insignificant to be of interest to any alliance or major EU group (IAG, LH, AFKL).

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:29 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Ex-Yu does not need any national carrier.

If anything it will be Air Serbia as a mini-regional carrier (with a hub in BEG) and Croatia Airlines serving the coast from ZAG and other Star Alliance hubs.

IMO Croatia Airlines should become a feeder to Lufthansa Group like Air Dolomoti + the Croatian domestic routes.

And Air Serbia realign themselves with some alliance or group after Etihad leaving. However JU is too small and the market too insignificant to be of interest to any alliance or major EU group (IAG, LH, AFKL).

Huh? Why would JU need to enter an alliance when they code-share with AF, KL, SU, TK...? Air Serbia has been slowly building its hub and they are doing their own thing, building their own niche market.

JA

Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:57 pm

What are the 50-100 special summer contract workers used for at YM?

Blerg
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:03 am

JA wrote:
What are the 50-100 special summer contract workers used for at YM?

They are probably part of seasonal workforce to cope with increased demand.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos