Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
KWB739
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:21 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:43 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
Travellers don't know what they want. They want nonstop flights to everywhere they want to go from an airport small enough to allow them to arrive 45 minutes prior to the flight and not have to walk more than 20 feet or take a tram. They airport they want cannot exist.


I think you've just defined teleportation :lol:


^^^^^ Absolutely. The new SLC is as cost-effective as it can, while maintaining amenities and a modern layout.
No, the 737-900ER is NOT a 737 MAX.
 
smflyer
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:49 pm

People need to accept the walk and get their exercise done, this country is already too obese. I see this as a positive.

Also SLC is mostly a connection airport with little O&D so the majority of complaints are likely coming from locals. At that point, the airport authority's main customer is delta who brings in revenue through connections, O&D customers are an afterthought. Sure the walk is longer, but taxi times are greatly reduced. I'd rather spend and extra 15 mins walking to my gate than sit-in a plane an extra 15mins in a plane getting a DVT.

I just visited this airport a few weeks ago and was stunned at the amount of space available. Plenty of seating and a very wide central walkway for managing foot traffic during the inevitable flight banks arriving/departing.
 
bretonrlong
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:04 pm

Love long walks, more opportunity to experience the airport. There is no end to the number of people who love to complain about anything so why worry. Eventually, something new to complain about will come up and they will move on.
 
amcnd
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:34 pm

The issue with aircraft getting in and out of the alley, is there is only one way “in and out” from the west. East side is blocked (with old terminal distruction).. with aircraft landing on the west runways exiting onto the taxiway it causes a bottle neck of outbound and inbound.. Don’t get me started on the “hard stands”. They should have keep the G or F gates open with a connector..
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4548
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:59 pm

Was just in SLC a few weeks ago. It is indeed insane how long the walk can be though! Keep in mind, I haven't been to SLC for at least 20 years, so when I arrived, I was blown away. Yes, it's beautiful, but man was it a hike!

My suggestion to anyone flying into SLC, check in plenty early. I checked in online and thought 40 mins would be sufficient. I found myself jogging to get to my gate. I am all for a nice walk, but I swear it was halfway to my destination.

On a side note, I saw a Christmas tree that had to have been 50 feet tall? It was stunning to say the least. Is it a fake tree?
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
gaystudpilot
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:55 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:29 pm

MD8090orDRIVE wrote:
My complaint is no more Mcdonald's. An egg McMuffin was a good inexpensive bit of food before a flight out east. I know more and more people like higher-end food at airports but I just want something simple before my flight.


Well according to “MD8090orDRIVE” it looks like you’ll have plenty of opportunities to stop along the way since you’ll be driving a heck of a lot more.

:D

Seriously, healthier and fresher options are nice as long as you don’t have to pay an arm and a leg.
 
775899
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:01 pm

Everyone here needs to calm down. The new SLC just opened and we are still in a downturn, there isn’t going to be a lot of food options right now. And so what with the walking? Again, how is it any different than DTW?

Once the full thing opens in 2024 (with the central tunnel), it’ll be fine. SLC did the right thing and is replacing their terminal facilities with a more efficient layout, they should be commended. Other airports could stand to learn from them (I’m looking at you CLT and DFW).
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 689
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:05 pm

Because they have not been to IST
 
Alias1024
Posts: 2790
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:13 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:04 am

Thought of another problem, the line at Cafe Rio. It was the most popular eatery at the old terminal so naturally they built the new one with a shorter line, which spills out into the main walkway. Doh!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.
 
airzona11
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:23 am

enilria wrote:
Delta was fully supportive of this terminal project, even rushing it to completion during COVID. That tells me they found it to be very cost-effective which translates into limited amenities for typical passengers.


Curious how those see related? This project wasn't simply rushed bc of Covid.
 
jb1087xna
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:33 am

Walking a mile (or thereabouts) doesn't scare me from a physical perspective. The only hesitation I would have is making a tight connection. I've only connected in SLC 2 or 3 times, but DL has historically sold many connections that are ~20-25 minutes. The idea of potentially waiting for a bus or wading through crowds of people (which to be fair may not exist right now) while also having to travel a mile doesn't sound too appealing with that tight of a connection. (And no, obviously I don't have to book that, but purely anecdotally- sometimes they are the majority of options depending upon your entire trip.)
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5119
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:56 am

Airports main goal unofficially is to keep delta happy. They worked with delta in planning and delta paid out of pocket for things they wanted so I think they are happy.

The old SLC airport was uniquely fast for locals because it was too small and never designed for the numbers delta connects thru it. You have to expect some growing pains for locals as the design was more for connections passengers like DEN. DEN is America's best airport for connecting but longest times for o&d.
 
dstblj52
Posts: 642
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:13 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Airports main goal unofficially is to keep delta happy. They worked with delta in planning and delta paid out of pocket for things they wanted so I think they are happy.

The old SLC airport was uniquely fast for locals because it was too small and never designed for the numbers delta connects thru it. You have to expect some growing pains for locals as the design was more for connections passengers like DEN. DEN is America's best airport for connecting but longest times for o&d.

Yeah Denver took the ATL design fixed the one issue it had you can't have aircraft moving in opposite directions between terminals at atlanta upgraded that widen the concourse a bit then built that, and slc is basically a smaller version of denver
 
775899
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:16 am

dstblj52 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Airports main goal unofficially is to keep delta happy. They worked with delta in planning and delta paid out of pocket for things they wanted so I think they are happy.

The old SLC airport was uniquely fast for locals because it was too small and never designed for the numbers delta connects thru it. You have to expect some growing pains for locals as the design was more for connections passengers like DEN. DEN is America's best airport for connecting but longest times for o&d.

Yeah Denver took the ATL design fixed the one issue it had you can't have aircraft moving in opposite directions between terminals at atlanta upgraded that widen the concourse a bit then built that, and slc is basically a smaller version of denver


Except DEN added the issue of no pedestrian tunnels in addition to the trains.
 
dstblj52
Posts: 642
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:09 am

BNAMealer wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Airports main goal unofficially is to keep delta happy. They worked with delta in planning and delta paid out of pocket for things they wanted so I think they are happy.

The old SLC airport was uniquely fast for locals because it was too small and never designed for the numbers delta connects thru it. You have to expect some growing pains for locals as the design was more for connections passengers like DEN. DEN is America's best airport for connecting but longest times for o&d.

Yeah Denver took the ATL design fixed the one issue it had you can't have aircraft moving in opposite directions between terminals at atlanta upgraded that widen the concourse a bit then built that, and slc is basically a smaller version of denver


Except DEN added the issue of no pedestrian tunnels in addition to the trains.

fair except that is a much easier retrofit later on if and hopefully when they fix that
 
775899
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:16 am

dstblj52 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
Yeah Denver took the ATL design fixed the one issue it had you can't have aircraft moving in opposite directions between terminals at atlanta upgraded that widen the concourse a bit then built that, and slc is basically a smaller version of denver


Except DEN added the issue of no pedestrian tunnels in addition to the trains.

fair except that is a much easier retrofit later on if and hopefully when they fix that


Not sure if it’s an easy fix, otherwise, they would have done it by now. DEN badly needs them.
 
dstblj52
Posts: 642
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:18 am

BNAMealer wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Except DEN added the issue of no pedestrian tunnels in addition to the trains.

fair except that is a much easier retrofit later on if and hopefully when they fix that


Not sure if it’s an easy fix, otherwise, they would have done it by now. DEN badly needs them.

well its easier than expanding the area between terminals would be at Atlanta, it would take a few years and cost a few hundred million dollars to get a team together with tunnelling equipment or strip areas but its doable
 
ytib
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:22 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:25 am

BNAMealer wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Except DEN added the issue of no pedestrian tunnels in addition to the trains.

fair except that is a much easier retrofit later on if and hopefully when they fix that


Not sure if it’s an easy fix, otherwise, they would have done it by now. DEN badly needs them.


It would be a waste of money. The concourses are too far apart for most people to walk as shown by the posts above with the complaints of the SLC airport walking distance. Even the bridge route is under utilized at DEN and that has moving sidewalks basically the entire way (when working) with a shorter distance between Concourse A and the terminal.
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3
 
User avatar
ssteve
Posts: 1496
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:32 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:54 am

smflyer wrote:
Also SLC is mostly a connection airport with little O&D so the majority of complaints are likely coming from locals.


As a non-local who destinated there, I can say that the former Southwest gates were a longass walk when trailing a couple kids.

The locals who are trailing, uh, like 17 kids might have a valid complaint if there is a large distance between curb and gate.
 
wingnutmn
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:27 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:56 am

My biggest complaint at the new SLC terminal is the lack of Coffee shops. I don't like waiting in line for 10-15 minutes for a cup of coffee. Either make an expressline for just coffee, and not all those flavored cups of syrup, or make a dedicated stand for just coffee, and no flavored syrups.

Rant off....
Wingnut
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!
 
FF630
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:42 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:09 am

Apparently many of these travelers have not been to Heathrow, walks from check in to some gates are horrendous. This complaint is an indicator of why our country has a high number of obease citizens
 
Sypho839
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:28 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:09 am

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-new ... hair-waits

Updated article detailing changes that SLC is looking to institute in response to complaints. Most of it relates to greater mobility for those with disabilities but it also addresses the confusing navigation signage.

"A future tunnel will make the walk between the security checkpoint and Concourse B much shorter than it is right now, and according to Volmer, the tunnel can be retrofitted with a train."- spokesperson for the Salt Lake City International Airport
 
GSPSPOT
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:44 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:21 am

FF630 wrote:
Apparently many of these travelers have not been to Heathrow, walks from check in to some gates are horrendous. This complaint is an indicator of why our country has a high number of obease citizens

Bear in mind, that some of those complaints may have more to do with time than distance one has to walk. Airlines love to schedule those close connections.
Great Lakes, great life.
 
bcbhokie
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:38 am

MartijnNL wrote:
StinkyPinky wrote:
Had a layover in SLC and heard about the long walk. I tracked it on my fitness app and it was exactly 1 mile from the gate (in B concourse) to the middle curb for hotel shuttle. There aren't many moving walkways and the outbound direction were out of service.

1 mile / 1.6 km

That looks like a long walk for an airport. I don't think my home airport, Amsterdam Schiphol, has a walk that far. Going from the furthest gate to the railway station is for sure less than 1 mile.


At AMS, walks are longer than you think for connecting passengers. Even just B34 to D31 is 0.9 miles, and that's a purely intra-Schengen connection - equivalent to the worst case walk at SLC. B34 to G9, the worst case connection length, is 1.15 mi. The worst case railway station to gate walk is only 0.6mi, though.

It's worth noting that the current situation in SLC is somewhat temporary, too; once the central spine is open, the situation improves dramatically for SLC O&D passengers.

Still, there's no disputing that SLC is big relative to the traffic it handles. They have a ton of land and are using quite a bit of it; I suspect at least some of that was driven by the logistical constraints of building a new terminal while keeping the old one operational.
 
ScottB
Posts: 7345
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:23 am

dstblj52 wrote:
Yeah Denver took the ATL design fixed the one issue it had you can't have aircraft moving in opposite directions between terminals at atlanta upgraded that widen the concourse a bit then built that, and slc is basically a smaller version of denver


Huh? ATL has dual taxilanes between the concourses. They might not be sized for aircraft with greater wingspan than a 767, but DL doesn't use widebodies on domestic routes anywhere near as often as they did 20 years ago.
 
freakyrat
Posts: 2243
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:06 am

SumChristianus wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
Travellers don't know what they want. They want nonstop flights to everywhere they want to go from an airport small enough to allow them to arrive 45 minutes prior to the flight and not have to walk more than 20 feet or take a tram. They airport they want cannot exist.


I think you've just defined teleportation :lol:


Sounds like South Bend International Airport in Indiana. Nonstop flights to 13 cities and you can arrive 45 minutes prior to your flight, clear security and not walk more than 20 or 30 ft to your gate. Unfortunately people can not have that at the larger hubs.

I haven't been in the new SLC airport but hope to travel through it next ski season.
 
Happytycho
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:10 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:51 am

Complaints about walking seem concerning for some future expansion projects at other US airports.

But this is a good illustration of the fact the no single terminal design can optimize everything. The designers had to give up short curb to gate walks for the operational efficiency of a consolidated landside terminal and better (eventually) aircraft movement.

It's also important to remember that walks to some B gates will be significantly better in the final configuration than the current temporary one.

Broken moving walkways and excessive waits for wheelchairs are inexcusable, however.
 
GSP psgr
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 7:09 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:57 am

I will say this though, if you are coming from a destination at sea level and have to run between far apart gates at DEN or SLC, it is not a fun experience. I once had 12 minutes to make it from Mid D to the end of B at the old SLC terminal and I was absolutely winded as I scrambled aboard my flight to YVR.
 
HNLSLCPDX
Topic Author
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:31 pm

I’m sitting at SLC right now and just had to go from the A concourse to the B concourse and it was comical seeing passengers running between the two concourses and the looks on their faces and hearing what they were saying once they saw the tunnel and distance to/from their connecting flights.
 
Weatherwatcher1
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:40 pm

It is interesting to see the walking time chart that the airport posted on its website

Image

Source

https://slcairport.com/maps/airport-map/

13 minutes walking between gates can be tough on a tight connection
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8765
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:37 pm

How are any of these walks worse than anything at ATL, DTW, MSP? I find that really hard to believe.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15058
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:16 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
How are any of these walks worse than anything at ATL, DTW, MSP? I find that really hard to believe.


The altitude might make it worse even if the distances are shorter. I have difficulty with the first 2 or 3 hours in SLC or DEN even though after that I adjust just fine. Last time I was in SLC, we drove downtown from the airport, parked in an underground garage, and took two flights of not particularly steep stairs up to ground level (this probably would have been a bit more than an hour after landing, though I did not keep track). I found myself out of breath but took a 6 or 7 mile hike that evening with no issue.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9440
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:27 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
It is interesting to see the walking time chart that the airport posted on its website

Image

Source

https://slcairport.com/maps/airport-map/

13 minutes walking between gates can be tough on a tight connection


Has DL changed the MCT for SLC? It used to be 30 minutes for domestic DL-DL.
 
737max8
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:48 pm

I don't get it...flown to and thru the new SLC a few times already on Delta and Southwest. With moving walkways, it didn't seem any different than any major airport in the world I've walked through. Some like MSP, DTW, JFK, LHR, TPE, NRT, FRA felt far worse.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388
 
Josh32121
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:02 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:52 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Airports main goal unofficially is to keep delta happy. They worked with delta in planning and delta paid out of pocket for things they wanted so I think they are happy.

The old SLC airport was uniquely fast for locals because it was too small and never designed for the numbers delta connects thru it. You have to expect some growing pains for locals as the design was more for connections passengers like DEN. DEN is America's best airport for connecting but longest times for o&d.

Yeah Denver took the ATL design fixed the one issue it had you can't have aircraft moving in opposite directions between terminals at atlanta upgraded that widen the concourse a bit then built that, and slc is basically a smaller version of denver


What are you talking about? There are double taxiways between each of the concourses (not terminals) at ATL. And yes, DEN mimicked ATL but left out a pedestrian corridor as a backup if the train went out and for capacity overflow as someone else pointed out. ATL was designed in the late 70s, and it's pretty remarkable that the design has been copied over and over as airports have rethought their terminal layouts: CVG, DEN, DTW, JFK T8, LHR T5 (maybe others I've overlooked), and now SLC. Parallel satellite buildings are the most efficient way to park airplanes for a given amount of space.
ATLien
 
AirframeAS
Posts: 9885
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:56 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:06 pm

Quick Question: What airlines are using the NEW concourse?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.
 
DLASFlyer
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:06 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
It is interesting to see the walking time chart that the airport posted on its website

Image

Source

https://slcairport.com/maps/airport-map/

13 minutes walking between gates can be tough on a tight connection


Has DL changed the MCT for SLC? It used to be 30 minutes for domestic DL-DL.


Don't think so. I had a flight delayed 30 minutes the other day waiting for 38 passengers who were booked on a 20 minute connection.
 
DLASFlyer
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:06 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
Quick Question: What airlines are using the NEW concourse?


All airlines. The old concourses are being demolished as we speak.
 
AirframeAS
Posts: 9885
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:56 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:10 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
Quick Question: What airlines are using the NEW concourse?


All airlines. The old concourses are being demolished as we speak.


Wow! Damn! So, all the gates are a mix and match thing. That sounds complicated and a scheduling nightmare!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.
 
AAflyguy
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:59 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:03 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
Quick Question: What airlines are using the NEW concourse?


All of them.
 
AAflyguy
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:59 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:05 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
Quick Question: What airlines are using the NEW concourse?


All airlines. The old concourses are being demolished as we speak.


Wow! Damn! So, all the gates are a mix and match thing. That sounds complicated and a scheduling nightmare!


All airlines other than DL are on B Gates.

Some DL flights, especially DL Connection, are also on B but DL uses A Gates exclusively.
 
User avatar
AirAfreak
Posts: 1014
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:20 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:30 pm

In my opinion, every airport terminal/concourse layout should be similar to the distance between Schiphol’s main terminal and the Polderbaan, for example.

Passengers cannot seem to follow the concept of a timetable, or to respect minimum check-in times, comprehend sense-of-urgency, time management, general awareness, sense of personal space, and planning ahead for weather delays.

For the sake of on-time departures, let us all hope SLC will teach many of you a lesson.

And by the way, I must remind MANY of you airliners.net members from the past whom have repeatedly complained about Paris/CDG Airport being so “complicated and confusing” that actually, and very factually, at one time, (and true to this day) Paris/CDG2A/B/C/D was quite famous for being the only major airline hub to offer the shortest walking distance from car to boarding gate.

And yet, here we are once again... another group of unhappy people ruining the fanfare of a newly-built passenger terminal.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.
 
User avatar
SLCUT2777
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:17 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:52 pm

AAflyguy wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:


All airlines other than DL are on B Gates.

Some DL flights, especially DL Connection, are also on B but DL uses A Gates exclusively.


Other airlines will use the international capable gates in A that were a first priority when they outlined the redevelopment plan. It's a safe assumption KLM will return post-pandemic with their AMS service.
Over the next couple of years it could become more drastic as service returns as the pandemic craters. DL has told airport officials they'll just hardstand any additional gates to get the old facility demolished and the new east wing of the A concourse completed sooner than later.

Some people incorrectly think SLC is mostly a connecting airport when according to Department of Airports stats nearly half are O&D passengers. The Wasatch Front as a combined metro area is a much bigger air market.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9440
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:53 pm

AirAfreak wrote:
Paris/CDG2A/B/C/D was quite famous for being the only major airline hub to offer the shortest walking distance from car to boarding gate.


You sure about that? How does it compare to the mid-70s terminal structure of DFW?

Being a good O&D terminal (curb to gate distance being just one metric) and being a good large hub (big numbers of people, efficient movement of lots and lots of planes) really aren't the same thing.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9440
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:09 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
It is interesting to see the walking time chart that the airport posted on its website

Image

Source

https://slcairport.com/maps/airport-map/

13 minutes walking between gates can be tough on a tight connection


Has DL changed the MCT for SLC? It used to be 30 minutes for domestic DL-DL.


Don't think so. I had a flight delayed 30 minutes the other day waiting for 38 passengers who were booked on a 20 minute connection.


I did an audit to answer my own question, checking 20 destinations in the West on a date in May, DTW-SLC-XXX. Connections as short as 30 minutes popped up -- 8 of them 30-35 minutes, in fact, so it's a plan and not an accident.
 
WaGuy69
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:14 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:17 pm

Heavens for bit people have to walk, this is a bump in the road and when everything is done then I am sure things will be a lot better.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 11718
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:19 pm

AirAfreak wrote:
In my opinion, every airport terminal/concourse layout should be similar to the distance between Schiphol’s main terminal and the Polderbaan, for example.

Passengers cannot seem to follow the concept of a timetable, or to respect minimum check-in times, comprehend sense-of-urgency, time management, general awareness, sense of personal space, and planning ahead for weather delays.

For the sake of on-time departures, let us all hope SLC will teach many of you a lesson.

And by the way, I must remind MANY of you airliners.net members from the past whom have repeatedly complained about Paris/CDG Airport being so “complicated and confusing” that actually, and very factually, at one time, (and true to this day) Paris/CDG2A/B/C/D was quite famous for being the only major airline hub to offer the shortest walking distance from car to boarding gate.

And yet, here we are once again... another group of unhappy people ruining the fanfare of a newly-built passenger terminal.

You are only looking at this from an O&D perspective though, and completely ignoring connecting passengers. In which it is not all on the passengers, but the airlines too and what they decide is the minimal connecting time to freely sell to passengers. And remember when DL sells you a 30 min connection that does not mean you have 30 minutes in the airport to get between gates. A plane has arrived and that clock starts ticking when the aircraft has parked at the gate, not the moment you step out of the aircraft into the airport. If you are in the last row of a 739, A321, or 757 with a 30 minute connection you better get hustling even if you arrived on time.
 
HNLSLCPDX
Topic Author
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:05 am

Polot wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:
In my opinion, every airport terminal/concourse layout should be similar to the distance between Schiphol’s main terminal and the Polderbaan, for example.

Passengers cannot seem to follow the concept of a timetable, or to respect minimum check-in times, comprehend sense-of-urgency, time management, general awareness, sense of personal space, and planning ahead for weather delays.

For the sake of on-time departures, let us all hope SLC will teach many of you a lesson.

And by the way, I must remind MANY of you airliners.net members from the past whom have repeatedly complained about Paris/CDG Airport being so “complicated and confusing” that actually, and very factually, at one time, (and true to this day) Paris/CDG2A/B/C/D was quite famous for being the only major airline hub to offer the shortest walking distance from car to boarding gate.

And yet, here we are once again... another group of unhappy people ruining the fanfare of a newly-built passenger terminal.

You are only looking at this from an O&D perspective though, and completely ignoring connecting passengers. In which it is not all on the passengers, but the airlines too and what they decide is the minimal connecting time to freely sell to passengers. And remember when DL sells you a 30 min connection that does not mean you have 30 minutes in the airport to get between gates. A plane has arrived and that clock starts ticking when the aircraft has parked at the gate, not the moment you step out of the aircraft into the airport. If you are in the last row of a 739, A321, or 757 with a 30 minute connection you better get hustling even if you arrived on time.

Good point.
 
alasizon
Posts: 2916
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:05 am

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
It is interesting to see the walking time chart that the airport posted on its website

Image

Source

https://slcairport.com/maps/airport-map/

13 minutes walking between gates can be tough on a tight connection


Something is off about their assumptions - the improvement from walking on the moving walkway versus walking without it is too negligible. Even assuming they are at only 2 miles per hour (standard is typically 2.75 to 3.25 mph), the walkways should make a much bigger impact on overall walking time.

Their figures also seem slow - less than 3 mph for walking without moving walkways.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4548
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: Complaints coming in about the new SLC terminal

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:42 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
I’m sitting at SLC right now and just had to go from the A concourse to the B concourse and it was comical seeing passengers running between the two concourses and the looks on their faces and hearing what they were saying once they saw the tunnel and distance to/from their connecting flights.



That was me a few weeks ago!! I was seriously the last passenger on my flight and they were about to shut the door! I had sweat pouring off of me!

I think they could add more moving walkways for sure. It is a hell of a hike! I'm all for a good walk, but that nervous hurry up walk or run to make your flight is pretty epic in SLC. It's a gorgeous Airport for sure!!

However, MCI was the absolute worst IMO. I wonder if they have fixed that mess? To connect flights I had to run out to the next terminal and go through TSA again. That was not fun.
I Am A Different Animal!!

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos