Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Ryanair route cull ?

Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:28 am

There appears to be a large number of routes flown by Ryanair which operate until 27 March 2021, but are not on sale during the European summer 2021. No, these are not ski or winter seasonal routes

Is there a computer failure, or is there a major reworking of schedules taking place (with routes briefly taken off sale while this happens) ?

If not, it seems about 15% of routes are being culled across the network for summer 2021

Noshow

Re: Ryanair route cull ?

Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:50 am

They move fleets between EU and UK registrations because of Brexit and prepare for the MAX acceptance and all that during the Covid chaos with travel restrictions popping up and going again. This leads to a lot of back and forth but in general they keep doing sales and offers. Let's wait until the dust has settled.

vhtje

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:24 am

Noshow wrote:
They move fleets between EU and UK registrations because of Brexit and prepare for the MAX acceptance and all that during the Covid chaos with travel restrictions popping up and going again. This leads to a lot of back and forth but in general they keep doing sales and offers. Let's wait until the dust has settled.

FR do not have any UK-registered (G-****) aircraft.

Noshow

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:28 am

They have and there were big plans to increase the fleet size and then to shrink it again. Now they seem to plan to increase again and have earmarked airplanes to move.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair_UK

Caymanair

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:29 am

vhtje wrote:
Noshow wrote:

That might be the problem.

BrianDromey

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:30 am

vhtje wrote:

They do have one at the moment, G-RUKA in preperation for the U.K. leaving the EU and concerns about traffic rights between the U.K. and non-EU countries and U.K. domestic services. The U.K. CAA want more added to cover the U.K. flying.
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Ryanair ... WL/5881989

JannEejit

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:46 am

Do we know exactly how the UK/EU commercial aviation relationship is going to pan out, now that the "deal" has been announced ? I've seen absolutely nothing mentioned in aviation terms. Other than that UK citizens will only require a visitor visa after X amount (180 ?) days in the EU ...

JannEejit

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:47 am

Do we know exactly how the UK/EU commercial aviation relationship is going to pan out, now that the "deal" has been announced ? I've seen absolutely nothing mentioned in aviation terms. Other than that UK citizens will only require a visitor visa after X amount (180 ?) days in the EU ...

vhtje

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:04 am

Caymanair wrote:
vhtje wrote:
Noshow wrote:

That might be the problem.

Yes, of course, how stupid of me. D’oh!

But the agreement allows for unlimited point-to-point traffic between EU and UK airports; I presume they would need UK-registered aircraft for domestic UK routes and for routes from the UK to outside the EU.

But then this has happened:

https://www.ft.com/content/3d10eda4-aeda-40f3-8e02-9f601c94dab5

vhtje

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:09 am

JannEejit wrote:

This sums it up nicely

https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/brexit/consequences-of-the-brexit-agreement-on-transport-and-especially-aviation/

PlymSpotter

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:49 am

BrianDromey wrote:
vhtje wrote:

They do have one at the moment, G-RUKA in preperation for the U.K. leaving the EU and concerns about traffic rights between the U.K. and non-EU countries and U.K. domestic services. The U.K. CAA want more added to cover the U.K. flying.
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Ryanair ... WL/5881989

It's interesting that they assigned G-RUKA two years ago, but didn't move any other frames across. Presumably just a precaution. In the beginning it did a lot of the Ukraine flights, hence I flew it in Jan 2019 over to LWO.

JannEejit

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:55 am

vhtje wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

This sums it up nicely

https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/brexit/consequences-of-the-brexit-agreement-on-transport-and-especially-aviation/

Thanks, yes that does sum things up. So perhaps will indeed see a modest fleet of G registered Ryanair fleet, either that or they abandon intra UK services ? Am I also correct in thinking that the forthcoming Aer Lingus Manchester operation will require a transfer of fleet to the UK register ?

Noshow

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:05 am

No it sounds to me like they can keep their EI-regs.

bennett123

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:08 am

Ryanair did few UK internal routes even pre Brexit.

mattyfitzg

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:08 am

Noshow wrote:

No, they'll be moving aircraft onto the G- reg too - EI-ELA and EDY are being moved over.

Noshow

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:18 am

Interesting. Thanks.

TC957

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:22 am

mattyfitzg wrote:
Noshow wrote:

No, they'll be moving aircraft onto the G- reg too - EI-ELA and EDY are being moved over.

Two of the A321NEO's to be used at MAN will become G-xxxx as well.

peterinlisbon

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:39 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
There appears to be a large number of routes flown by Ryanair which operate until 27 March 2021, but are not on sale during the European summer 2021. No, these are not ski or winter seasonal routes

Is there a computer failure, or is there a major reworking of schedules taking place (with routes briefly taken off sale while this happens) ?

If not, it seems about 15% of routes are being culled across the network for summer 2021

They want to fly routes whilst everyone is stuck at home and worried about Covid, but when people are allowed out again they don't want to provide flights.

VSMUT

Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:28 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Ryanair did few UK internal routes even pre Brexit.

But they did have a fair number of UK to non-EU routes. Morocco, Israel, Jordan, Turkey, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Lebanon, Ukraine, Montenegro, Kosovo, Serbia and Armenia are all countries that Ryanair has flown to at some point, that would require UK-registered planes if they should decide to fly there from the UK in the future.

Polot

Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:47 pm

TC957 wrote:
mattyfitzg wrote:
Noshow wrote:

Two of the A321NEO's to be used at MAN will become G-xxxx as well.

All of it needs to. That is not a UK-EU issue that is a UK-US issue. If you want to fly between the US and UK you are now following the UK-US air agreement and obviously must be a UK or US airline. The new subsidiary Aer Lingus UK is operating the flights, and obviously as a UK airline their aircraft will be on the UK register.

bennett123

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:20 pm

If FR fly UK to NON EU, is being on the EI- register an issue.

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:22 pm

bennett123 wrote:

In a word, yes. The UK CAA doesn't like this

LJ

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:41 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

In a word, yes. The UK CAA doesn't like this

Just as UK registered planes are not allowed to fly EU to/from non-EU flights. I would guess this will make aircraft planning more of a challenge and reduce efficiency at Ryanair (no "W" pattern flights for non-EU destinations)

SueD

Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:50 pm

vhtje wrote:
Noshow wrote:

One actually with more in 2021 they retain the KLM/UK/Buzz aoc

SueD

Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:52 pm

[threeid]
[/threeid]
mattyfitzg wrote:
Noshow wrote:

Those are Aer Lingus frames !

Polot

Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:18 pm

SueD wrote:
[threeid]
[/threeid]
mattyfitzg wrote:
Noshow wrote:

That was a discussion over how Aer Lingus’s recently announced MAN TATL operations will be handled.

mattyfitzg

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:01 pm

SueD wrote:
[threeid]
[/threeid]
mattyfitzg wrote:
Noshow wrote:

I'm aware, the post I was replying too asked about EI.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos