Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Blerg
Posts: 4813
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 am

Ishrion wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Cedar wrote:

They are progressing and given they started in 2020 & were able to survive during all of 2020, that says a lot - they have made some strides & learned from some mistakes. If you look at their management & above level - most of their people are from well established airlines, like UA, Spirit, AA, VX, etc. So there is talent. I think MIA & JFK will be their 2 main hubs, with everything else complimenting. MIA for their heavy South America focus. JFK for domestic & perhaps future European operations.

They say their focus is on underserved markets and look to fill gaps - they have no intention of stepping on toes of any carriers. Perfect example is AA pulling out of MVD, so they swooped in to start flying there.

I think you will see some significant growth this year, and they just announced a doubling of their GYE flights. https://www.facebook.com/goeasternair

Cedar


Thank you. Actually this is one airline I would really like to see succeed. I think the US could use more competition so I am following them and Breeze very closely.

Out of curiosity, how come AA pulled out of MVD but they think they can make it work? Is it because of costs or...?


AA will continue flying to MVD twice a week this month, but only as cargo-only flights according to their widebody schedule. I assume this will continue for a while.

I’m not too familiar with Eastern’s strategy, but I think I saw something where they worked with Brazil’s government to establish three U.S. to Belo Horizonte routes, so I suppose there could be similar involvement with their MVD flights.

And of course, they can transport some cargo with those 763s.


Great, thanks. Good to see that they found an opening which they can exploit.
 
Cedar
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:42 pm

Blerg wrote:
Cedar wrote:
Blerg wrote:
So does Eastern have a future? I mean looking at it from a realistic point of view. If they survive the next five years, what kind of airline are we going to be looking at? From what I understood they are heaving focused on New York and Miami markets to Latin America. I guess they would be adding flights and frequencies on those markets?


They are progressing and given they started in 2020 & were able to survive during all of 2020, that says a lot - they have made some strides & learned from some mistakes. If you look at their management & above level - most of their people are from well established airlines, like UA, Spirit, AA, VX, etc. So there is talent. I think MIA & JFK will be their 2 main hubs, with everything else complimenting. MIA for their heavy South America focus. JFK for domestic & perhaps future European operations.

They say their focus is on underserved markets and look to fill gaps - they have no intention of stepping on toes of any carriers. Perfect example is AA pulling out of MVD, so they swooped in to start flying there.

I think you will see some significant growth this year, and they just announced a doubling of their GYE flights. https://www.facebook.com/goeasternair

Cedar


Thank you. Actually this is one airline I would really like to see succeed. I think the US could use more competition so I am following them and Breeze very closely.

Out of curiosity, how come AA pulled out of MVD but they think they can make it work? Is it because of costs or...?


As part of AA's international cuts, they decided to suspend MVD until December.
As to why Eastern thinks they can make it work, well any number of reasons - it could be lower costs, and fewer weekly flights & as someone mentioned maybe have some agreement with the Uruguayan gov't. Not really sure.

Cedar
 
danipawa
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:19 am

seems they are only running SDQ-MIA and BOS, no PHL and JFK schedule..
 
Cedar
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:49 pm

danipawa wrote:
seems they are only running SDQ-MIA and BOS, no PHL and JFK schedule..



Too much competition on JFK-SDQ
I believe MIA-SDQ is for the connections to Venezuela from SDQ.
I don't think PHL is going to reopen for now.

Cedar
 
tpowaleny
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:54 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:17 pm

I just went to their website. ANC looks gone? And now ORD-SJJ starting around same time ANC was supposed to but not on their route map nor do I see any news about it. I have yet to see any clear success stories here.
 
Bigant0408
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:41 am

tpowaleny wrote:
I just went to their website. ANC looks gone? And now ORD-SJJ starting around same time ANC was supposed to but not on their route map nor do I see any news about it. I have yet to see any clear success stories here.


They are honestly hard to keep up with in regards to their route selections and even starting routes.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
Planeboy17
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 am

tpowaleny wrote:
I just went to their website. ANC looks gone? And now ORD-SJJ starting around same time ANC was supposed to but not on their route map nor do I see any news about it. I have yet to see any clear success stories here.

For whatever it’s worth, tickets are being sold once a week, every Friday beginning May 28th.
For those who are unaware, SJJ is Sarajevo.
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26555
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:22 am

Ishrion wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Cedar wrote:

They are progressing and given they started in 2020 & were able to survive during all of 2020, that says a lot - they have made some strides & learned from some mistakes. If you look at their management & above level - most of their people are from well established airlines, like UA, Spirit, AA, VX, etc. So there is talent. I think MIA & JFK will be their 2 main hubs, with everything else complimenting. MIA for their heavy South America focus. JFK for domestic & perhaps future European operations.

They say their focus is on underserved markets and look to fill gaps - they have no intention of stepping on toes of any carriers. Perfect example is AA pulling out of MVD, so they swooped in to start flying there.

I think you will see some significant growth this year, and they just announced a doubling of their GYE flights. https://www.facebook.com/goeasternair

Cedar


Thank you. Actually this is one airline I would really like to see succeed. I think the US could use more competition so I am following them and Breeze very closely.

Out of curiosity, how come AA pulled out of MVD but they think they can make it work? Is it because of costs or...?


AA will continue flying to MVD twice a week this month, but only as cargo-only flights according to their widebody schedule. I assume this will continue for a while.

I’m not too familiar with Eastern’s strategy, but I think I saw something where they worked with Brazil’s government to establish three U.S. to Belo Horizonte routes, so I suppose there could be similar involvement with their MVD flights.

And of course, they can transport some cargo with those 763s.


AA is not ending scheduled passenger flights to MVD. Service resumes in December, but Eastern clearly saw an opportunity where AA was underserving the market.
a.
 
speedbird52
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:41 am

gdg9 wrote:
MrPeanut wrote:
Eastern Airlines has the potential to cause a lot of headaches for AA. They are literally replicating AA's network to the Caribbean / South America one city at a time. The airline has a lot lower cost structure and if they can provide some very attractive fares, might be able to really give AA issues.


Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Let's see if this version (3rd, 4th?) of Eastern can last more than a few months.

This one has been around since 2010, just not under the Eastern name.
 
Blerg
Posts: 4813
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:39 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
tpowaleny wrote:
I just went to their website. ANC looks gone? And now ORD-SJJ starting around same time ANC was supposed to but not on their route map nor do I see any news about it. I have yet to see any clear success stories here.

For whatever it’s worth, tickets are being sold once a week, every Friday beginning May 28th.
For those who are unaware, SJJ is Sarajevo.


Since I am certain that they are not launching Sarajevo, what route did they want to add in stead? SJU?
 
Cedar
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:24 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Thank you. Actually this is one airline I would really like to see succeed. I think the US could use more competition so I am following them and Breeze very closely.

Out of curiosity, how come AA pulled out of MVD but they think they can make it work? Is it because of costs or...?


AA will continue flying to MVD twice a week this month, but only as cargo-only flights according to their widebody schedule. I assume this will continue for a while.

I’m not too familiar with Eastern’s strategy, but I think I saw something where they worked with Brazil’s government to establish three U.S. to Belo Horizonte routes, so I suppose there could be similar involvement with their MVD flights.

And of course, they can transport some cargo with those 763s.


AA is not ending scheduled passenger flights to MVD. Service resumes in December, but Eastern clearly saw an opportunity where AA was underserving the market.



I wasn't implying permanently, I was just making a point that Eastern was filling a gap. Yes, AA resume in December.

Cedar
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26555
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:27 am

Blerg wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
tpowaleny wrote:
I just went to their website. ANC looks gone? And now ORD-SJJ starting around same time ANC was supposed to but not on their route map nor do I see any news about it. I have yet to see any clear success stories here.

For whatever it’s worth, tickets are being sold once a week, every Friday beginning May 28th.
For those who are unaware, SJJ is Sarajevo.


Since I am certain that they are not launching Sarajevo, what route did they want to add in stead? SJU?


Chicago-Sarajevo is bookable starting May 28th, once weekly.
a.
 
Blerg
Posts: 4813
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:34 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
For whatever it’s worth, tickets are being sold once a week, every Friday beginning May 28th.
For those who are unaware, SJJ is Sarajevo.


Since I am certain that they are not launching Sarajevo, what route did they want to add in stead? SJU?


Chicago-Sarajevo is bookable starting May 28th, once weekly.


I still think this is a mistake unless they are ready to burn some serious cash. SJJ can't sustain nonstop flights to places like LON or PAR.
 
User avatar
lesfalls
Posts: 3504
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 am

Blerg wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Since I am certain that they are not launching Sarajevo, what route did they want to add in stead? SJU?


Chicago-Sarajevo is bookable starting May 28th, once weekly.


I still think this is a mistake unless they are ready to burn some serious cash. SJJ can't sustain nonstop flights to places like LON or PAR.


70,000 ethnic Bosnians in Chicago making it the second biggest city after STL with Bosnias:

https://www.exyuaviation.com/2021/04/ea ... icago.html
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.
 
NeperQiell
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:22 pm

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Blerg wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
tpowaleny wrote:
I just went to their website. ANC looks gone? And now ORD-SJJ starting around same time ANC was supposed to but not on their route map nor do I see any news about it. I have yet to see any clear success stories here.

For whatever it’s worth, tickets are being sold once a week, every Friday beginning May 28th.
For those who are unaware, SJJ is Sarajevo.


Since I am certain that they are not launching Sarajevo, what route did they want to add in stead? SJU?


You were so certain, but turns out it wasn't a mistake. How is this possible?
 
Blerg
Posts: 4813
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:23 pm

NeperQiell wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
For whatever it’s worth, tickets are being sold once a week, every Friday beginning May 28th.
For those who are unaware, SJJ is Sarajevo.


Since I am certain that they are not launching Sarajevo, what route did they want to add in stead? SJU?


You were so certain, but turns out it wasn't a mistake. How is this possible?


Well, truth be told they still didn't launch it, they merely announced it. ;)
 
Blerg
Posts: 4813
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:25 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Blerg wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Chicago-Sarajevo is bookable starting May 28th, once weekly.


I still think this is a mistake unless they are ready to burn some serious cash. SJJ can't sustain nonstop flights to places like LON or PAR.


70,000 ethnic Bosnians in Chicago making it the second biggest city after STL with Bosnias:

https://www.exyuaviation.com/2021/04/ea ... icago.html


And you can see from the same article that in 2019 5.990 people flew indirectly between SJJ and ORD. Bosnia has bad infrastructure so for many ZAG, DBV and even BEG are more convenient than SJJ.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2773
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:59 am

Blerg wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I still think this is a mistake unless they are ready to burn some serious cash. SJJ can't sustain nonstop flights to places like LON or PAR.


70,000 ethnic Bosnians in Chicago making it the second biggest city after STL with Bosnias:

https://www.exyuaviation.com/2021/04/ea ... icago.html


And you can see from the same article that in 2019 5.990 people flew indirectly between SJJ and ORD. Bosnia has bad infrastructure so for many ZAG, DBV and even BEG are more convenient than SJJ.

Yep, SJJ would not work from a place like stl, most would want a flight to DBV/ZAG
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
Blerg
Posts: 4813
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:46 am

I also noticed that the plane arrives on Friday and is supposed to sit at the airport until Sunday.
 
a340crew
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:59 pm

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:15 am

Blerg wrote:
I also noticed that the plane arrives on Friday and is supposed to sit at the airport until Sunday.


Most likely this is to allow one crew to operate the inbound and outbound flight, instead of leaving a crew there for a week.
 
Cedar
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:47 am

NeperQiell wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
For whatever it’s worth, tickets are being sold once a week, every Friday beginning May 28th.
For those who are unaware, SJJ is Sarajevo.


Since I am certain that they are not launching Sarajevo, what route did they want to add in stead? SJU?


You were so certain, but turns out it wasn't a mistake. How is this possible?


It's not a mistake - The reason you may not see an official announcement is because this may be an agreement with the gov't of Bosnia to run a charter flight to & from.
Kind of like Managua & Asuncion started - the latter now commercial.

Cedar
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5359
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 am

So anchorage is canceled for sure?
 
AA737-823
Posts: 5536
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 11:10 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:34 am

32andBelow wrote:
So anchorage is canceled for sure?


Seems like it; I tried dummy bookings yesterday on Eastern's website, just ANC-JFK or JFK-ANC, and scrolling through the month calendars, ALL dates are greyed out.
Previously, the once a week service showed up as blue and clickable. But while ANC is still in the drop-down menu, there are no selectable dates.

P.S., greetings from across town...
 
Cedar
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:04 am

I don't have confirmation of this - but it seems that the 767-200's are not being used much at all.

N603KW has been sitting on the ground at a hangar for a while with no work being done.
N604KW & N602KW have not been seen in a long time, months - N602KW in MCI, probably being removed from service.
N605KW - is the only one that seems to be active.

But I cannot confirm any of this - I just think, they may not have enough A/C to do the DOD charters, ANC, their current flight schedule, plus the new routes being added. Let's not forget the new routes like MVD & UIO are planned for the newly acquired 777s.

ANC is not priority - so they may prioritize the A/C in use for the other routes.

Cedar
 
timberwolf24
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2001 8:38 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:21 am

The ORD-SJJ flight is no longer bootable on the web site.
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!
 
Bigant0408
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:16 am

timberwolf24 wrote:
The ORD-SJJ flight is no longer bootable on the web site.


Well that didn’t take long.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
debonair
Posts: 4202
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:08 pm

timberwolf24 wrote:
The ORD-SJJ flight is no longer bootable on the web site.


Makes me wonder, if it wouldn't make more sense to start selling tickets for flights they will eventually operate in the end... :scratchchin:
I think the trust in Eastern is very low, selling tickets for destinations like ANC, SJJ etc. and removing them even before the first flight took place.
 
Blerg
Posts: 4813
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:21 am

debonair wrote:
timberwolf24 wrote:
The ORD-SJJ flight is no longer bootable on the web site.


Makes me wonder, if it wouldn't make more sense to start selling tickets for flights they will eventually operate in the end... :scratchchin:
I think the trust in Eastern is very low, selling tickets for destinations like ANC, SJJ etc. and removing them even before the first flight took place.


Not only that but suspending sales just a few days after they launched them. SJJ never made much sense, BEG or even ZAG would have been safer bets for them.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5359
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:38 am

Is eastern just like a front? Like they they just running tickets through this “company” to clean money? Wtf is going on here.
 
asuflyer
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:29 pm

It is owned in part by Ken Wooley the founder of Extra Space Storage and part by the Jet Midwest Group and Lessor and MRO out of MCI. That company has been in bankruptcy before and a Hong Kong court ruled a 6.5 million default against them. Apparently they have nothing else to do with these planes, and these aircraft would otherwise likely be scrapped it looks like Eastern is a way to try to squeeze some revenue out of some very old planes. Yet with no consistent route structure or charter business it does seem like they do not have a solid airline business plan. The CEO is experienced however and came from Allegiant and North American Airlines. Likely they got cargo contracts for some of these routes like these and thats probably what keeps them afloat as well as some other dubious financial activities.

https://govcongiants.com/eastern-airlin ... -contract/
 
Cedar
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:14 pm

Eastern Airlines LLC (at least the current version) is not up to dubious financial activities nor are they just trying to squeeze money out of some very old planes that they have nothing else to do with. The planes were purchased, yes they are old. But they are owned, not leased. they are all ex planes of carriers like JAL, Quantas, Kenya Airways, BA. They have a 6 year DOD contract, as well as a 2 year State Department Contract, as well as a contract with the New England Patriots.
They are being awarded a International DOD contract now.

They are building a commercial route structure on top of this - is it perfect, no - do they add & drop routes like flies, yes. Their social media needs help, their planes need updating, Their website needs fixing, and their marketing is non existent.
The problem they've had is they began operation in Jan 2020, right before COVID. So they are trying to do everything with the little staff they have all while trying to stay profitable. They've had to manage building an airline during COVID, which is crazy. The only thing they had to rely on was the gov'ts of different countries granting them authorization during COVID to fly "charter flights" - which meant they could not really sell tickets on their own in many cases.
Now, they are going through growing pains. They can't keep up with the amount of work they have with the limited people they have employed. The good news is, they have hired a CFO, They have also hired a new VP of Maintenance, As well as a host of other people.
They had to sweep out ex Dynamic Airways people & get the right people in the door.

They have also requested permission from the DOT to grow the fleet. - I think if they are given some time, you will see an improved Eastern. They just need to play catch up now that everything is picking up.

Cedar
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4547
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:14 am

I really am hoping they can be successful. Is it an odd airline? You bet! Anyone here know anyone that is employed at Eastern? Seems like they have the capital to keep flying! Saw a 777 last week. Definitely a nice paint job!
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5359
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:36 am

Cedar wrote:
Eastern Airlines LLC (at least the current version) is not up to dubious financial activities nor are they just trying to squeeze money out of some very old planes that they have nothing else to do with. The planes were purchased, yes they are old. But they are owned, not leased. they are all ex planes of carriers like JAL, Quantas, Kenya Airways, BA. They have a 6 year DOD contract, as well as a 2 year State Department Contract, as well as a contract with the New England Patriots.
They are being awarded a International DOD contract now.

They are building a commercial route structure on top of this - is it perfect, no - do they add & drop routes like flies, yes. Their social media needs help, their planes need updating, Their website needs fixing, and their marketing is non existent.
The problem they've had is they began operation in Jan 2020, right before COVID. So they are trying to do everything with the little staff they have all while trying to stay profitable. They've had to manage building an airline during COVID, which is crazy. The only thing they had to rely on was the gov'ts of different countries granting them authorization during COVID to fly "charter flights" - which meant they could not really sell tickets on their own in many cases.
Now, they are going through growing pains. They can't keep up with the amount of work they have with the limited people they have employed. The good news is, they have hired a CFO, They have also hired a new VP of Maintenance, As well as a host of other people.
They had to sweep out ex Dynamic Airways people & get the right people in the door.

They have also requested permission from the DOT to grow the fleet. - I think if they are given some time, you will see an improved Eastern. They just need to play catch up now that everything is picking up.

Cedar

The constant route announcements and cancellations is extremely sketchy and weird.
 
AA737-823
Posts: 5536
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 11:10 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:59 am

Cedar wrote:
The problem they've had is they began operation in Jan 2020, right before COVID. So they are trying to do everything with the little staff they have all while trying to stay profitable. Cedar


Well, have I got a news flash for you and Eastern:
This year, ANC is the darling of the domestic US travel system.
So,
--American is packing 787-9's into ANC all summer from TWO hubs, DFW and ORD, plus 321neo service to PHX. Plus going nearly year-round with 321neos to DFW. Anecdote: my 787 flights this July are already impossible to get good seat assignments for, because they're FULL.
--Delta is packing people into 763's from Atlanta, plus offering more flights from more hubs than I can remember any time in the past decade, except CVG but duh.
--United is doing their usual "Turn ANC into a summer focus city" strategy.
--Frontier is coming back to ANC with limited service for the first time since, what, 2009-2010?
--Plus, ANC is belly cargo and "additional baggage revenue" dreamland for airlines.

And, against that backdrop, Eastern launches JFK-ANC a pitiful once weekly, sells tickets on it, then cancels it outright, about a month before service starts.

So, I'm not really buying the heroic "tons of talent just struggling to find a place to make money" underdog story.
They either haven't got a clue, or haven't got the means to make airline happen.
I suspect it's the latter.

P.S., I really wanted to catch a ride on Eastern, stay a night or two at the TWA hotel, and come back this summer. So yeah I'm bummed. I suspect the entire population of Sarajevo is also shattered by this business practice.
 
Cedar
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:11 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
Cedar wrote:
The problem they've had is they began operation in Jan 2020, right before COVID. So they are trying to do everything with the little staff they have all while trying to stay profitable. Cedar


Well, have I got a news flash for you and Eastern:
This year, ANC is the darling of the domestic US travel system.
So,
--American is packing 787-9's into ANC all summer from TWO hubs, DFW and ORD, plus 321neo service to PHX. Plus going nearly year-round with 321neos to DFW. Anecdote: my 787 flights this July are already impossible to get good seat assignments for, because they're FULL.
--Delta is packing people into 763's from Atlanta, plus offering more flights from more hubs than I can remember any time in the past decade, except CVG but duh.
--United is doing their usual "Turn ANC into a summer focus city" strategy.
--Frontier is coming back to ANC with limited service for the first time since, what, 2009-2010?
--Plus, ANC is belly cargo and "additional baggage revenue" dreamland for airlines.

And, against that backdrop, Eastern launches JFK-ANC a pitiful once weekly, sells tickets on it, then cancels it outright, about a month before service starts.

So, I'm not really buying the heroic "tons of talent just struggling to find a place to make money" underdog story.
They either haven't got a clue, or haven't got the means to make airline happen.
I suspect it's the latter.

P.S., I really wanted to catch a ride on Eastern, stay a night or two at the TWA hotel, and come back this summer. So yeah I'm bummed. I suspect the entire population of Sarajevo is also shattered by this business practice.



With that much competition on ANC, why would they continue on the route? - they are not even a fraction of the size of the carriers who are or will do service there, so it only makes sense not to try to go head to head with them.
After all, their target is "underserved markets".

But, time will tell.

Cedar
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5359
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm

Cedar wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:
Cedar wrote:
The problem they've had is they began operation in Jan 2020, right before COVID. So they are trying to do everything with the little staff they have all while trying to stay profitable. Cedar


Well, have I got a news flash for you and Eastern:
This year, ANC is the darling of the domestic US travel system.
So,
--American is packing 787-9's into ANC all summer from TWO hubs, DFW and ORD, plus 321neo service to PHX. Plus going nearly year-round with 321neos to DFW. Anecdote: my 787 flights this July are already impossible to get good seat assignments for, because they're FULL.
--Delta is packing people into 763's from Atlanta, plus offering more flights from more hubs than I can remember any time in the past decade, except CVG but duh.
--United is doing their usual "Turn ANC into a summer focus city" strategy.
--Frontier is coming back to ANC with limited service for the first time since, what, 2009-2010?
--Plus, ANC is belly cargo and "additional baggage revenue" dreamland for airlines.

And, against that backdrop, Eastern launches JFK-ANC a pitiful once weekly, sells tickets on it, then cancels it outright, about a month before service starts.

So, I'm not really buying the heroic "tons of talent just struggling to find a place to make money" underdog story.
They either haven't got a clue, or haven't got the means to make airline happen.
I suspect it's the latter.

P.S., I really wanted to catch a ride on Eastern, stay a night or two at the TWA hotel, and come back this summer. So yeah I'm bummed. I suspect the entire population of Sarajevo is also shattered by this business practice.



With that much competition on ANC, why would they continue on the route? - they are not even a fraction of the size of the carriers who are or will do service there, so it only makes sense not to try to go head to head with them.
After all, their target is "underserved markets".

But, time will tell.

Cedar

Selling tickets and then canceling is the worst thing an airline can do. Now everyone needs to find different tickets that probably cost more now because it’s closer to departure. I’ve never heard or an airline having trouble filling ANC flights in the summer
 
dcajet
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:38 pm

UIO-MIA & UIO-JFK both postponed until Sept. 1, 2021
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
Cedar
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:00 am

dcajet wrote:
UIO-MIA & UIO-JFK both postponed until Sept. 1, 2021



Yes, apparently the 777's are still awaiting full certification by the FAA, which was expected to be completed in Q2. These 2 777's were to be used on Quito & ANC. They can't use the 767's, they don't have enough.

Cedar
 
User avatar
ghost77
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 2:07 pm

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:14 am

What about MEX? Any news?

g77
 
 
 
Abeam79
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:16 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Sat May 01, 2021 9:36 pm

Cedar wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/eastern-spirit-jetblue-american/

Cedar

This is probably more foolish than Spirits complaint. Why didn't they just request to fly the route when JetBlue put in the request to the DOT to offer a counter? It seems like spirit and Eastern just want to get their way by complaining and not playing the game. I'm sorry eastern, you didn't make the request to the DOT when LATAM pulled out, jetblue did and got what it requested by the legal route. Too bad your not adept to do the same. you snooze, you lose. Which is what I think the DOT will do when they look at this.
 
AntonioMartin
Posts: 831
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Sat May 01, 2021 9:58 pm

I just wonder when will they serve Puerto Rico? (and to a lesser extent, i arrived in Arizona 31 years ago on Eastern so, to a lesser extent my home state)
 
santi319
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Sun May 02, 2021 12:31 am

Ok but what a beautifully written article. We need more journalists like Jay Singh, and less Sam Chuis please.
 
Cedar
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Sun May 02, 2021 5:38 am

Abeam79 wrote:
Cedar wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/eastern-spirit-jetblue-american/

Cedar

This is probably more foolish than Spirits complaint. Why didn't they just request to fly the route when JetBlue put in the request to the DOT to offer a counter? It seems like spirit and Eastern just want to get their way by complaining and not playing the game. I'm sorry eastern, you didn't make the request to the DOT when LATAM pulled out, jetblue did and got what it requested by the legal route. Too bad your not adept to do the same. you snooze, you lose. Which is what I think the DOT will do when they look at this.


They did file with the DOT to add 2 frequencies from JFK to GYE after B6 cut FLL to UIO.

Cedar
 
Abeam79
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:16 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Sun May 02, 2021 5:12 pm

Cedar wrote:
Abeam79 wrote:
Cedar wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/eastern-spirit-jetblue-american/

Cedar

This is probably more foolish than Spirits complaint. Why didn't they just request to fly the route when JetBlue put in the request to the DOT to offer a counter? It seems like spirit and Eastern just want to get their way by complaining and not playing the game. I'm sorry eastern, you didn't make the request to the DOT when LATAM pulled out, jetblue did and got what it requested by the legal route. Too bad your not adept to do the same. you snooze, you lose. Which is what I think the DOT will do when they look at this.


They did file with the DOT to add 2 frequencies from JFK to GYE after B6 cut FLL to UIO.

Cedar

I understand that, but they filed it from what I understand in response to the awarded frequencies given to B6 afterwards,
 
User avatar
spinkid
Posts: 1908
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:59 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Mon May 03, 2021 1:20 am

Ishrion wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Do they have buy-on-board? What kind of service can one expect when flying with them? I am shocked to see how many planes they got until now. They really were a low-key airline until now.


Here's two reviews. It's possible their service has changed since then:

The inaugural back in January: https://thepointsguy.com/news/eastern-a ... al-flight/

EZE-MIA repatriation flight. Given this is during COVID, they likely intentionally reduced service: https://pointmetotheplane.boardingarea. ... nos-aires/

From what I heard, they're planning to refurbish their 767s with new seats and mood lighting, or something along those lines.


They did quite a few repatriation flights last summer and fall. I wonder if it gave them some insight into these markets.

Cruise Ships will be sailing with more and more people vaccinated. I'm not sure on the Canada issues however.
 
User avatar
spinkid
Posts: 1908
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:59 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Mon May 03, 2021 1:53 am

Apparently Uruguay is not allowing in Americans at this time, hence the delay in the launch. Their web site still shows a few other routes.

Boston-Belo Horizonte is bookable.
BOS-MEX
BOS-PAP
are not available.
BOS-Santo Domingo is open

I played some more, before getting frustrated at the lack of what's on the route map, compared to what pops up in the search engine.
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1917
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Mon May 03, 2021 1:55 am

Here's how the conversation went at Dyna, err Eastern.

Planning/Scheduling/Marketing person: "I'd like to start these routes, XXX-YYY, WWW-ZZZ. They are for sure winners"

Ownership: Ok, but they HAVE to work, we can't bleed red.

Planning/Scheduling/Marketing person: "These WILL work! Just look at Allegiant/Frontier/Spirit!".

1 month later: Ownership: "Uh, where are the passengers? Where are the bookings. We can't operate these at a loss. Axe'm".
xx
 
Cedar
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Mon May 03, 2021 4:43 am

spinkid wrote:
Apparently Uruguay is not allowing in Americans at this time, hence the delay in the launch. Their web site still shows a few other routes.

Boston-Belo Horizonte is bookable.
BOS-MEX
BOS-PAP
are not available.
BOS-Santo Domingo is open

I played some more, before getting frustrated at the lack of what's on the route map, compared to what pops up in the search engine.


Don't go by the website - they seem to leave destinations up that they were going to start, plan on starting, or started & cancelled, etc. I don't understand why they do this - it's one of the areas they really need to work on.

Cedar

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos