Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:52 pm

Eastern Airlines over the weekend appears to have loaded several new routes along with its first Boeing 777-200ER flights:

- 1x Weekly New York JFK to Anchorage (ANC) starting May 27, 2021 on the 777-200ER.

- 1x Weekly New York JFK to Quito (UIO) starting April 4, 2021 on the 777-200ER.

Eastern is also adding a 2x weekly Philadelphia to Mexico City (MEX) flight starting April 1, 2021 on the 767.

These are showing up as options on Eastern's website, but they're not bookable through there. However, they are bookable through external sites such as Google Flights, Expedia, etc.

Additionally, Eastern's homepage says they're launching MIA-UIO, but flights aren't bookable yet. The aircraft/frequency on this route is currently unconfirmed.

MrPeanut

Re: Eastern Airlines Adds JFK-ANC/UIO With 777-200ER + MIA-UIO, PHL-MEX

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:21 pm

Eastern Airlines has the potential to cause a lot of headaches for AA. They are literally replicating AA's network to the Caribbean / South America one city at a time. The airline has a lot lower cost structure and if they can provide some very attractive fares, might be able to really give AA issues.

gdg9

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:24 pm

MrPeanut wrote:
Eastern Airlines has the potential to cause a lot of headaches for AA. They are literally replicating AA's network to the Caribbean / South America one city at a time. The airline has a lot lower cost structure and if they can provide some very attractive fares, might be able to really give AA issues.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Let's see if this version (3rd, 4th?) of Eastern can last more than a few months.

gdavis003

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:29 pm

Really surprised that AA didn't already offer PHL-MEX. This seems like a pretty smart add for Eastern. Don't know the numbers on demand though.

JFK-ANC is not one that I expected, but we'll see what happens. Doesn't UA offer EWR-ANC seasonally? This one might be a tossup if they succeed but can't hurt to try. They might have a greater probability for success on JFK-UIO. I'm interested to see how these work out.

They're starting with some pretty low frequencies on these new routes

MrPeanut

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 pm

gdg9 wrote:
MrPeanut wrote:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Let's see if this version (3rd, 4th?) of Eastern can last more than a few months.

ehhh....not getting ahead of myself, hence the reason why I said potential. They are doing something very different this time around from their previous attempts. Nevertheless, it seems like a lot of airlines are salivating at Latin America now. Regardless of what happens with Eastern, AA is facing much more competition to Latin America than it had in the past.

Bigant0408

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:39 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Really surprised that AA didn't already offer PHL-MEX. This seems like a pretty smart add for Eastern. Don't know the numbers on demand though.

JFK-ANC is not one that I expected, but we'll see what happens. Doesn't UA offer EWR-ANC seasonally? This one might be a tossup if they succeed but can't hurt to try. They might have a greater probability for success on JFK-UIO. I'm interested to see how these work out.

AA actually did serve PHL-MEX about a two years ago for about 9 months before canceling the route.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/local/o ... ico/58766/

See if Eastern can make it work

MAH4546

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:40 pm

PHLMEX makes no sense. They've loaded a few routes and pulled them for sale before. I'm sure the same will happen with PHLMEX.

I do however think they are onto something with some of these bulk VFR routes. Ecuador seems to be working for them. MIAGYE is being boosted to 5 weekly flights in April, plus adding LAXGYE.

Asuncion and Belo Horizonte I think they might also find some success with.
Last edited by MAH4546 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LightChop2Chop

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:40 pm

Where did EA get MEX slots from. those are like Oro.

jfk777

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:53 pm

Eastern can replicate all the AA routes it wants, AA offers daily flights on most Miami to Latin cities and often many frequencies too. EA has huge 777 flying once or twice weekly. AA can make a profit with 737 but an empty 777 loses buckets, given EA history I wouldn't bet on them.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:59 pm

gdg9 wrote:
MrPeanut wrote:

Honestly, these route additions are somewhat questionable. It would be great if they release some sort of investor/financial report.

However, the Latin American market seems to be doing well during these times. AA is increasing capacity on numerous DFW/MIA to Latin America routes next year along with placing several widebodies on the routes, likely for cargo. It's possible that Eastern's pure widebody fleet can mimic this strategy, but they lack connections.

gdavis003 wrote:

Yes, United has a seasonal EWR-ANC. Alaska demand appears to be strong next year with Alaska launching three ANC routes and AA adding DFW/ORD-FAI.

As for frequencies, Eastern was awarded 8 weekly frequencies to operate 4x weekly JFK-UIO and 4x weekly MIA-UIO. It's possible they haven't finalized the schedules. JFK-ANC and PHL-MEX frequencies seem to be testing the waters.

MAH4546 wrote:
PHLMEX makes no sense. They've loaded a few routes and pulled them for sale before. I'm sure the same will happen with PHLMEX.

I do however think they are onto something with some of these bulk VFR routes. Ecuador seems to be working for them. MIAGYE is being boosted to 5 weekly flights in April, plus adding LAXGYE.

Asuncion and Belo Horizonte I think they might also find some success with.

Yep, MIA-PHL/VVI, JFK-SJD were cut/postponed before they began. PHL-MEX is quite a strange addition, but I suppose it aligns with Eastern's strategy of targeting unserved routes.

Just today Eastern was awarded another permanent MIA-GYE frequency, meaning they took the final U.S. to Ecuador frequency for U.S. carriers: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0201-0010

QXorVX

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:15 pm

Looking at the GDS for JFK-ANC / ANC-JFK and it is scheduled as a westbound redeye...?

JFK-ANC 11:00pm - 06:15am
ANC-JFK 6:15pm - 9:50am

Both directions are blocked at over 11 hours! JFK-ANC is operated frequently by freighters doing the flight in about 7 hours of wheels up time- something seems a little fishy with the schedule. I can see a little padding to make arrival times more appealing for weird red-eyes, but 4 hours is crazy.

Do they have something else planned here we are not aware of yet?

Ishrion
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:24 pm

QXorVX wrote:
Looking at the GDS for JFK-ANC / ANC-JFK and it is scheduled as a westbound redeye...?

Both directions are blocked at over 11 hours! JFK-ANC is operated frequently by freighters doing the flight in about 7 hours of wheels up time- something seems a little fishy with the schedule. I can see a little padding to make arrival times more appealing for weird red-eyes, but 4 hours is crazy.

I saw the schedules yesterday and the first thing I thought of was when they applied for JFK to ANC to Jinan, China but the timings obviously wouldn't make sense.

I guess they haven't finalized the timings or like you said, they're planning something else

MAH4546

Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:09 am

QXorVX wrote:

They just failed to account for the time difference when loading] the schedule.

MIflyer12

Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:31 am

Ishrion wrote:
Yes, United has a seasonal EWR-ANC. Alaska demand appears to be strong next year with Alaska launching three ANC routes and AA adding DFW/ORD-FAI.

You mean supply is high. Those seats haven't been sold yet.

aerace

Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:02 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

AA actually did serve PHL-MEX about a two years ago for about 9 months before canceling the route.

To me, AA didn't ever try to make PHL-MEX work from the jump because the schedule sucked. The departure from PHL was at like 9 PM or something late that got you in near 12 AM and the return was 6:30 AM the following morning. Not the most convenient times. I decided to skip the nonstop and connect via DFW. But this route is something I can get behind. Plus the PHL MSA has a sizable immigrant population from interior Mexico. If the fares are right, maybe they can make this work..

seat1a

Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:29 am

Slightly off-topic, but I checked LATAM and GOL sites for routes and did not see any MIA-SSA/REC/MAO/FOR Non-Stops. Is there a potential market here for Eastern? Can these routes be done with the A321NEO or MAX; the 767 and 777 appear to be too much capacity for them?

Thanks!

Gregd75

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:03 am

LightChop2Chop wrote:

I wonder if slots are available because Interjet isn't using them..... just a thought

Ishrion
Topic Author

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:40 am

seat1a wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but I checked LATAM and GOL sites for routes and did not see any MIA-SSA/REC/MAO/FOR Non-Stops. Is there a potential market here for Eastern? Can these routes be done with the A321NEO or MAX; the 767 and 777 appear to be too much capacity for them?

Thanks!

I thought GOL was going to resume FOR-MIA on the MAX next year? Did they end up axing it?

AA resumes MIA-MAO with the A319 in February.

MIA-SSA/REC are two notable routes that AA discontinued a few years ago. I believe they operated both with the 757-200. These two routes may require the A321LR/XLR instead of the MAX 8 or regular A321neo.

Given the current conditions paired with cargo demand, who knows if Eastern's 767s are too much for the routes.

Blerg

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:16 am

What scheduled flights do they operate now? I thought they went bankrupt after they were refused to operate those flights from New York to somewhere in California.

MAH4546

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:38 am

seat1a wrote:

Thanks!

LATAM operates MIA-SSA/REC/FOR/MAO, as well as MIA-BEL, they are just suspended for the moment.

GOL flies MIA-FOR as well. It resumes in June (MIABSB in March).

AA flies MIA-MAO, currently set to resume in February.

MAH4546

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:41 am

Ishrion wrote:

I thought GOL was going to resume FOR-MIA on the MAX next year? Did they end up axing it?

The poster was simply referring to what is currently operating, which is not much. Gol plans to resume international operations at the end of March with MIABSB. MIAFOR in June.

LATAM plans to resume all it's secondary Brazil-Miami flying in October 2021: Belem, Salvador da Bahia, Fortaleza, Manaus and Recife.

TTailedTiger

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:53 am

Ishrion wrote:
seat1a wrote:

Thanks!

MIA-SSA/REC are two notable routes that AA discontinued a few years ago. I believe they operated both with the 757-200. These two routes may require the A321LR/XLR instead of the MAX 8 or regular A321neo.

Given the current conditions paired with cargo demand, who knows if Eastern's 767s are too much for the routes.

Couldn't AA just reduce frequency and use the 787-8 to SSA/REC? Or is there not enough premium traffic to justify the lie flat suites?

32andBelow

Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:26 am

I guess eastern can fill the whole anc flight with tours or cruise packages

ERAUMBA

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:48 am

***cargo contract***

This has 0.00% to do with PAX/VFR/Anchorage/Times Square Tourism/Alaska Cruises (preposterous!!)...

***cargo***

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:52 am

In normal times id think ANC could be filled with cruise traffic if they can work with once a week schedule. Demand for Alaska I bet we see high this summer like how Jackson hole/den/SLC were all popular last summer and fall with some people wanting outside parks and things as opposed to visiting a city or theme park or resort.

QXorVX

Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:33 am

ERAUMBA wrote:
***cargo contract***

This has 0.00% to do with PAX/VFR/Anchorage/Times Square Tourism/Alaska Cruises (preposterous!!)...

***cargo***

A once weekly, summer, 777-200 passenger configured aircraft- has 0.00% to do with leisure pax? Contract or not the fact they are selling pax seats shows at least part of the motivation behind this route.

Cointrin330

Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:15 pm

MrPeanut wrote:

Not really. These are low frequency, once/twice a week flights and not much else. They've been around for a while, operating as Dynamic Airways and they are most definitely not "replicating" AA's network to anywhere. Just a handful of overlapping routes.

Cointrin330

Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:16 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Since there are no cruises anywhere, I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Cointrin330

Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

And USAir flew it in 1994 and it didn't work then either.

OB1504

Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:06 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
seat1a wrote:

Thanks!

Couldn't AA just reduce frequency and use the 787-8 to SSA/REC? Or is there not enough premium traffic to justify the lie flat suites?

IIRC, toward the end MIA-SSA/REC operated on alternate days but AA still couldn’t make it work.

Cointrin330 wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

And USAir flew it in 1994 and it didn't work then either.

You don’t think the market has changed in 26 years?

solracfunk14

Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:46 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
seat1a wrote:

Thanks!

Not enough premium traffic, even for MIA-CNF that was almost daily with the 767-300ER but got axed after Azul put the A330 (with better service and interior) on the CNF-MCO route.

seat1a

Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:59 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
seat1a wrote:

Thanks!

LATAM operates MIA-SSA/REC/FOR/MAO, as well as MIA-BEL, they are just suspended for the moment.

GOL flies MIA-FOR as well. It resumes in June (MIABSB in March).

AA flies MIA-MAO, currently set to resume in February.

Thank you, and to the other responses, too.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Blerg wrote:
What scheduled flights do they operate now?

MIA-GYE/UIO/GEO/ASU/CNF/SDQ

JFK-ANC/CNF/GUA/GYE/PAP/SDQ/GEO/UIO

BOS-PAP/SDQ/CNF

PHL-MEX/SDQ

LAX-GYE

jmdc861

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:31 pm

IS EA THROWING DARTS AT A DARTBOARD ?

Blerg

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:48 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Blerg wrote:

BOS-PAP/SDQ/CNF

PHL-MEX/SDQ

LAX-GYE

Thank you, quite a list of destinations. What planes do they have in their fleet?

Ziyulu

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:49 pm

What type of seating configuration do these 777s have? 2-5-2, 3-3-3, or 3-4-3?

Ishrion
Topic Author

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Blerg wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Blerg wrote:

BOS-PAP/SDQ/CNF

PHL-MEX/SDQ

LAX-GYE

Thank you, quite a list of destinations. What planes do they have in their fleet?

They have five 767-200s and five 767-300s, both consisting of some ER variants.

They currently have three 777-200ERs and they're set to take delivery of two ex-Japan Airlines 777-200s.

Ziyulu wrote:

I don't believe they've released anything on configuration yet.

SunsetLimited

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

BOS-PAP/SDQ/CNF

PHL-MEX/SDQ

LAX-GYE

They currently have three 777-200ERs and they're set to take delivery of two ex-Japan Airlines 777-200s.

Ziyulu wrote:

Also the two 763’s flying in the New England Patriots NFL colors will be re-painted and will join the fleet.

Italianflyer

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:27 pm

They are in a hiring binge for lots of support positions in mx, ops and e-commerce based on my Google search of open positions. Most are in Wayne PA (nice neighborhood)....so are they based in the PHL area now?

NZ321

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:40 pm

MrPeanut wrote:

But with all due respect it's still peanuts - just a fraction of the volume; not even causing a ripple at the mo. I know and hear what u r going to be saying re potential.. but they aren't even in the ball park yet IMHO albeit they are closing in. Somewhere around the queue for the ticket booth, perhaps and a long way to go. Will acknowledge though, their competitive cost structure - and I say all power to them to keep on plying.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:56 pm

Italianflyer wrote:
They are in a hiring binge for lots of support positions in mx, ops and e-commerce based on my Google search of open positions. Most are in Wayne PA (nice neighborhood)....so are they based in the PHL area now?

Yup, they relocated to Wayne: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphi ... e-for.html

gdavis003

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:51 am

Ishrion wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

BOS-PAP/SDQ/CNF

PHL-MEX/SDQ

LAX-GYE

Ziyulu wrote:

My distinct suspicion, and I can't confirm this, is that they are in whatever configuration the former carrier left them in. Doubt they're adjusting the interiors much, if any.

MIflyer12

Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:40 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

There will be cruises again. As long as there are plenty of old people who want scenery without effort, there will be Alaska cruises. 2021 may be a lousy year.

ytib

Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:35 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

There will be cruises again. As long as there are plenty of old people who want scenery without effort, there will be Alaska cruises. 2021 may be a lousy year.

Until Canada reopens ports to cruise ships there will not be any Alaska cruises. The foreign flag ships doing the Alaska cruises have to stop in Canada during a voyage in order to avoid cabotage under PVSA. 2021 may once again be a quiet year for Alaska cruises, but no doubt in the future it will explode again.

MAH4546

Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:01 am

ytib wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

Until Canada reopens ports to cruise ships there will not be any Alaska cruises. The foreign flag ships doing the Alaska cruises have to stop in Canada during a voyage in order to avoid cabotage under PVSA. 2021 may once again be a quiet year for Alaska cruises, but no doubt in the future it will explode again.

They do have to stop in Canada, but the U.S. government has the authority to grant them cabatoge rights, which I bet they would if it needs to come to that.

Blerg

Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:03 am

Do they have buy-on-board? What kind of service can one expect when flying with them? I am shocked to see how many planes they got until now. They really were a low-key airline until now.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:52 am

Blerg wrote:
Do they have buy-on-board? What kind of service can one expect when flying with them? I am shocked to see how many planes they got until now. They really were a low-key airline until now.

Here's two reviews. It's possible their service has changed since then:

The inaugural back in January: https://thepointsguy.com/news/eastern-a ... al-flight/

EZE-MIA repatriation flight. Given this is during COVID, they likely intentionally reduced service: https://pointmetotheplane.boardingarea. ... nos-aires/

From what I heard, they're planning to refurbish their 767s with new seats and mood lighting, or something along those lines.

Cointrin330

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:52 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Yep, I think the cruise industry will eventually rebound and cruises will resume, but I'm not sure that will be the case until later in 2021. A lot depends on CDC guidelines, bilateral agreements, and reopening of borders.

eastwood6

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:05 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Ziyulu wrote:

Also the two 763’s flying in the New England Patriots NFL colors will be re-painted and will join the fleet.

Source? RE: Patriots planes being repainted and assigned to Eastern.

CMA727

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:14 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:

I don´t think getting a slot nowadays at MEX is that difficult or expensive given the 2020 operation levels and the harsh reality that COVID-19 impact has had on demand, at least in Mexico, which by the way, is here to stay for many many months if not years.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos