Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:53 am

Welcome to New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2021. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1454765
Forum Moderator

777ER
Head Moderator

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:57 pm

From previous thread

zkncj wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
‘Cos Route 2 goes to Miramar and Seaton, and to have a third bifurcation is not at all ideal in public transport network planning (even having two is not ideal). WRC should just bite the bullet and contract the Route 91 that used to operate - including all the way to the Hutt Valley as it used to. Unbelievable stupidity to allow it to lapse in the first place.
exactly.
Should just be a regular bus service with a few stops along the way but mostly taking a direct route.

WLG has the luxury of being in the middle of an suburb, so it should be very essay to be connected to an local public transport network. It shouldn’t need an private service or additional fees to be added to the tickets.

In some sense WLG would be closer to the city than, LCY is.

The previous operator of the Airport Flyer, NZ Bus apparently wasn't making any money on the route and recently only had less then 5 passengers per service. In all honesty they stuffed it up for themselves by removing the Flyer from the real time info displays at bus stops and stopping the regional 'Snapper' bus card from being used. Things started going downhill when NZ Bus lost around 60% of the regional bus routes to Transit Group 2 years ago. WLG and passengers have suffered since and in all honesty its probably for the better NZ Bus have stopped operating it.

Just wish the service also operated to Kapiti Coast Airport for Porirua/Johnsonville/Paraparaumu passengers.

Adding WLG to route 2 would involve backtracking and possibly also loosing around 4 bus stops (unless the bus backtracks further to add those stops).
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

PA515

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:56 pm

Air NZ Q300 ZK-NEB as NZ8488 WLG-GIS abandoned it's landing at GIS at 2,750ft and is returning to WLG. The weather at GIS is clear with light winds.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-neb

PA515

zkncj

Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:24 pm

PA515 wrote:
Air NZ Q300 ZK-NEB as NZ8488 WLG-GIS abandoned it's landing at GIS at 2,750ft and is returning to WLG. The weather at GIS is clear with light winds.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-neb

PA515

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/gisborne- ... WO3VPA5WY/

Sounds like (according to the NZ Herald) that an threat toward the airport, was made this morning. Hence the airport is currently closed.

zkncj

Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:50 pm

777ER wrote:
Just wish the service also operated to Kapiti Coast Airport for Porirua/Johnsonville/Paraparaumu passengers.

It almost feels that PPQ has been given up on, so that it fails and could re developed into housing.

I’ve looked at taking 3C an couple of times on an Friday Night, when NZ/JQ are over priced to WLG. Yet the whole transport issue puts you off.

NZ6

Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:09 am

zkncj wrote:
777ER wrote:

It almost feels that PPQ has been given up on, so that it fails and could re developed into housing.

I’ve looked at taking 3C an couple of times on an Friday Night, when NZ/JQ are over priced to WLG. Yet the whole transport issue puts you off.

To be fair though, at most there's 4 movements per day. 2 in and 2 out and that's weekdays all with a 33 seat aircraft. Even at full capacity with everyone taking the bus it's a really had concept to sell. Then in reality it's more likely a handful at most, sometimes none.

What you need is a local bus which doesn't go "out it's way" but stops at the terminal as part of it's regular route. Then continues to or via the PPQ train station as part of it's normal circuit.

From google, bus route 260 seems to do this. But there's a 300m walk at one end and a 400m walk at the other. Not ideal in winter.

NZ6

Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:46 am

NZ6 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
777ER wrote:

To be fair though, at most there's 4 movements per day. 2 in and 2 out and that's weekdays all with a 33 seat aircraft. Even at full capacity with everyone taking the bus it's a really had concept to sell. Then in reality it's more likely a handful at most, sometimes none.

What you need is a local bus which doesn't go "out it's way" but stops at the terminal as part of it's regular route. Then continues to or via the PPQ train station as part of it's normal circuit.

From google, bus route 260 seems to do this. But there's a 300m walk at one end and a 400m walk at the other. Not ideal in winter.

Oh, I should include Sounds Air with their 14 movements, 7 in, 7 out. from NSN & BHE collectively all on the 12 seat Caravan I believe.

zkncj

Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:43 am

NZ6 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
777ER wrote:

What would of been ideal too, was an basic terminal bulit to the Kapti Road side of the airfield, but of course the owers turned this land into retail.

NZ6

Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:26 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

What would of been ideal too, was an basic terminal bulit to the Kapti Road side of the airfield, but of course the owers turned this land into retail.

Without a doubt but obviously too costly and the land is gone now anyway.

When you look it, PPQ (Train) to Central (Train) via train is 54mins. WLG (airport) to central (train) 46mins via public bus..

If you could make that transit at PPQ from airport to train station simple and quick you're not far off competing with WLG in regards to convenience. I'd much rather sit on a moving train than a idle bus for an hour.

But in reality...
1) WLG will sort that dedicated bus out
2) 3C only have the one flight, should that go UX/WX you're pretty screwed.
3) If this is all to avoid "higher" fares on NZ/JQ, early afternoon and evening flights are normally better than the 6pm zone 3C fly in.
4) You've got to add in dwell time waiting at the platform for the train.
5) Not everyone will go as far as central from WLG to will reduce some time.
6) outside risk but WLG does have issues with it's rail network. It's a long way away to be standard.

Is this possibly the only example in NZ of being able to fly into a neighboring "city" or "secondary airport" to save money on plane tickets?

For me; I'd need to save over $150 for the drama. So 3C $99, NZ/JQ would need to be over $250 before I'd even consider it. But then again, saying to myself W class $249 vs $99 into PPQ. By myself I'd still go to WLG. If flying in a group. PPQ might win. Hard to say unless you're in that position I guess.

ZK-NBT

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:23 am

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... i-stopover

NZ adding HNL stopover for US flights for crew change, doesn't look like HNL is able to be booked.

Megatop747-412

Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:06 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/air-new-zealand-honolulu-hawaii-stopover

NZ adding HNL stopover for US flights for crew change, doesn't look like HNL is able to be booked.

Interesting, although hardly surprising I guess. Question though would be that the crew who would operate HNL-LAX/SFO-HNL would then be facing a long day given the block time of HNL-LAX/SFO easily 5+ hour one way, plus time I the ground. I wonder would they the stay in a transit hotel airside or something like that, I any are available?

Zkpilot

Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 am

Megatop747-412 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/air-new-zealand-honolulu-hawaii-stopover

Interesting, although hardly surprising I guess. Question though would be that the crew who would operate HNL-LAX/SFO-HNL would then be facing a long day given the block time of HNL-LAX/SFO easily 5+ hour one way, plus time I the ground. I wonder would they the stay in a transit hotel airside or something like that, I any are available?

That’s not really a huge ask for the crew. NZ operates similar double bangers to the likes of PPT in normal times. As long as the total duty time is under 12 hours then there’s not really any issue. Above that it becomes a problem due to the higher workload/fatigue etc compared to a single sector long haul flight (AKL-IAH is about 14 hours, AKL-ORD is about 15 etc).
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

NZ6

Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:46 pm

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/transtasm ... FVUJJH54U/

I did say last week, good news was coming.

zkncj

Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:03 pm

Megatop747-412 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Pre-covid 777/787 with NZ doing two 3-5 hour sectors was perfectly normal.

It would operate flights to Australia/ Pacific Islands with the 787/777s which was all an same day return for crew.

AKL-ADL-AKL is approximately 2 5 hour sectors, that operated with the same. Some days of the week, it was an a320 which is an long time to be locked in a small flight deck.

LAXintl

Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:15 pm

Megatop747-412 wrote:
Question though would be that the crew who would operate HNL-LAX/SFO-HNL would then be facing a long day given the block time of HNL-LAX/SFO easily 5+ hour one way, plus time I the ground. I wonder would they the stay in a transit hotel airside or something like that, I any are available?

They can stay onboard the aircraft during the turn. They are domestic so no customs/immigration issues to deal with.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ZK-NBT

Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:40 am

zkncj wrote:
Megatop747-412 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Pre-covid 777/787 with NZ doing two 3-5 hour sectors was perfectly normal.

It would operate flights to Australia/ Pacific Islands with the 787/777s which was all an same day return for crew.

AKL-ADL-AKL is approximately 2 5 hour sectors, that operated with the same. Some days of the week, it was an a320 which is an long time to be locked in a small flight deck.

East coast SYD/MEL/BNE were easy, ADL/CNS/PPT are a little longer which makes a. If difference, I think cabin crew turned around while flight crew RON?

aerorobnz

Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:05 am

The advantage of doing via HNL is that all your crew will be heading there, so it becomes very flexible when on any given day there are at least 2, sometimes 3-4 sets in a day flying AKL-HNL-LAX/SFO and most of them sans passengers so available to position additional sets of tech/cabin crew easily.
HNL-LAX 5h20 up 5h40 back gate to gate. 11h plus 2h turnaround is 13h. with 3 tech they should have plenty of reserve, and with 4 even more. Other options include operate up, position back, with another crew positioning one way, then operating back. Remember this 787 crew was operating with 4 crew AKL-ORD-AKL with block time up around 16h40 and going to operate AKL-EWR with block time north of 18h. The restrictions on ADL was due to being a 2 person flight itinerary IIRC.

The hopeful thing will eventually be that AKL-HNL starts getting some additional passenger services. If I was a passenger I'd want to transit in HNL if I was going beyond to North America. for example better to fly AKL-HNL-EWR/BOS than AKL-HNLLAX-EWR. The international connections are the ones that will still need to fly AKL-HNL-LAX-IST/MEX/FRA etc.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

zkncj

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:14 am

Does Koru Hour still happen on domestic flights? I just flew back on NZ562 CHC-AKL departing at 5pm.

When booking this flight was labeled as Koru Hour, and fits the time requirement. Yet onboard it was just the normal tea/coffee with corn chips or a coffee.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/domesti ... #koru-hour

Also was shock at the onboard experience, was in the exit row. No have us an briefing, and most passengers has bags under the seat in front of them in the exit rows. Is this no longer an requirement on the a320?

Zkpilot

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:18 am

zkncj wrote:
Does Koru Hour still happen on domestic flights? I just flew back on NZ562 CHC-AKL departing at 5pm.

When booking this flight was labeled as Koru Hour, and fits the time requirement. Yet onboard it was just the normal tea/coffee with corn chips or a coffee.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/domesti ... #koru-hour

Also was shock at the onboard experience, was in the exit row. No have us an briefing, and most passengers has bags under the seat in front of them in the exit rows. Is this no longer an requirement on the a320?

Koru Hour is back but they usually stop it over Xmas/NY period.
Exit row should have been briefed - although I’ve seen it missed sometimes - crew get distracted solving some passenger issue etc.
Bags can go under exit row seats. They can’t go under exit row seats on some aircraft if there isn’t a seat behind (eg if it’s an open space like on some wide body aircraft or certain A321 seats). A320 is fine though.

NZ321

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:11 pm

Zkpilot wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Exit row should have been briefed - although I’ve seen it missed sometimes - crew get distracted solving some passenger issue etc.
Bags can go under exit row seats. They can’t go under exit row seats on some aircraft if there isn’t a seat behind (eg if it’s an open space like on some wide body aircraft or certain A321 seats). A320 is fine though.

Have to say I am a tad surprised if we're talking about overwing exits on NZ domestic / regional A320 family aircraft. For about 10 years I was flying AKL-WLG and AKL-CHC - generally about 15-20 times a year - and sat over the wing many a time, and I don't think they ever missed an emergency exit briefing there or at the front of the economy on the domestic A320, where there is no barrier / bulkhead on the left side of the cabin.

However - it does seem to be normal practice at the front of the plane, where there is a bulkhead / barrier, more often on the widebody than the narrowbody, that there will be no such safety briefing. That's been my experience on LX, MH, SQ and TG in the past year. Curious to hear from others on this topic.
Plane mad!

zkncj

Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:38 pm

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-oab
Looks like ZK-OAB is finally returning to service tomorrow on CHC-AKL-IVC-AKL.

So that would just leave ZK-NHB (A320NEO) as the sole A320 in the fleet that is currently parked up?

ZK-OJB,D,F,I,M all seem to still be active over the last few days, with these aircraft being 16-17 years old don't see a very bright future for them when they are returned to there lessors.
Take it they are running up the remaining hours/cycles on there leases, to save cycles on the owned OX* A320s.

zkojq

Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:29 pm

zkncj wrote:

So that would just leave ZK-NHB (A320NEO) as the sole A320 in the fleet that is currently parked up?

Surely there must be a good reason for this? Fuel savings of a neo would be substantial over a ceo.

zkncj wrote:
ZK-OJB,D,F,I,M all seem to still be active over the last few days, with these aircraft being 16-17 years old don't see a very bright future for them when they are returned to there lessors.
Take it they are running up the remaining hours/cycles on there leases, to save cycles on the owned OX* A320s.

I wonder if the plan is to keep these ones in the medium term so that they can maintain capacity whilst sending ZK-OAB, OJQ, OJR and OJS back to the lessors as their terms cone up. ZK-OAB, OJQ, OJR and OJS are younger but have spent most if their lives on domestic duties so will no doubt have substantially more cycles on them.

Given that the domestic A321neos have been delayed until 2023, that's only three more years for ZK-OJB,D,F,I,M to soldier on for. Given their age they're probably dirt cheap to buy from the lessors.
First to fly the 787-9

zkncj

Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:04 am

zkojq wrote:
I wonder if the plan is to keep these ones in the medium term so that they can maintain capacity whilst sending ZK-OAB, OJQ, OJR and OJS back to the lessors as their terms cone up. ZK-OAB, OJQ, OJR and OJS are younger but have spent most if their lives on domestic duties so will no doubt have substantially more cycles on them.

Given that the domestic A321neos have been delayed until 2023, that's only three more years for ZK-OJB,D,F,I,M to soldier on for. Given their age they're probably dirt cheap to buy from the lessors.

Originally (pre-covid) OAB, OJQ, OJR, OJS were meant to leave the fleet around 2021/2022 along with 3x old international a320CEO as the domestic a321NEO’s arrived.

With ZK-OJB,D,F,I,M all being 15-17 years old now, would assume that the original leases on lease aircraft have finished, and operating an short-term leases at bargain rates.

They would also have the advantage of if the Tasman/Pacific opens backup the flexibility to operate both International and Domestic services as need.

Looking at OJQ, OJR, OJS on Flightradar24 they haven't been getting much use e.g most days are only doing two sectors, and sometimes not being used for a couple of days.

They must be either very close to the agreed cycles in the lease, or coming due for C/D check etc.

Zkpilot

Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:41 am

NZ321 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Have to say I am a tad surprised if we're talking about overwing exits on NZ domestic / regional A320 family aircraft. For about 10 years I was flying AKL-WLG and AKL-CHC - generally about 15-20 times a year - and sat over the wing many a time, and I don't think they ever missed an emergency exit briefing there or at the front of the economy on the domestic A320, where there is no barrier / bulkhead on the left side of the cabin.

However - it does seem to be normal practice at the front of the plane, where there is a bulkhead / barrier, more often on the widebody than the narrowbody, that there will be no such safety briefing. That's been my experience on LX, MH, SQ and TG in the past year. Curious to hear from others on this topic.

It happens, just not very often.
As for where there is a bulkhead, usually no briefing needed except maybe just to get your screen out for the safety video and put it away again safely.

Mr AirNZ

Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:30 am

zkncj wrote:

OAB has actually been flying intermittently over the past months. It has spent a few weeks on the ground but was flying before Christmas.

NHB is out for maintenance and will be back later in the month.

OJB has always been a leased machine. D, F, I and M were, until recently, owned but have been sold (and leased back for a fixed time) pending their exits. All five will depart this year. Two A320NEOs arrive in the second half of the year (FY22). Information on the sale was in the annual results (page 26).
https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/PDFs/air ... esults.pdf

ZK-NBT

Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:01 am

Mr AirNZ wrote:
zkncj wrote:

OAB has actually been flying intermittently over the past months. It has spent a few weeks on the ground but was flying before Christmas.

OJB has always been a leased machine. D, F, I and M were, until recently, owned but have been sold (and leased back for a fixed time) pending their exits. All five will depart this year. Two A320NEOs arrive in the second half of the year (FY22). Information on the sale was in the annual results (page 26).

I take it the 4 leased domestic A320s OAB, OJQ, OKR, OJS are leaving aswell this year or next?

Mr AirNZ

Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:37 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
I take it the 4 leased domestic A320s OAB, OJQ, OKR, OJS are leaving aswell this year or next?

The last publicly available information indicates the final departure of these machines is complete in FY23 (July 2022-June 2023).

NZ516

Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:53 pm

Mr AirNZ wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Thanks Mr Air NZ for clarifying the situation. I remember a while ago that 3 owned international 320s were transferred to domestic as a interim measure for extra capacity. Didn't realize that they have since been sold out and leased back which could free up some capital. Perhaps some 787s will get sold and leased back as well.

zkncj

Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Looking at NZ’s current International Flights numbers, take it there is some logic to them?

NZ1XX eg NZ104 - Quarantine Free Flights
NZ7XX- 9XX eg NZ723- Quarantine Required Flight
NZ1XXX eg NZ1006 - Cargo Only Flight

aerorobnz

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 am

zkncj wrote:
Looking at NZ’s current International Flights numbers, take it there is some logic to them?

Basically correct, add in NZ6xxx for positioning and NZ19xx for Jet and NZ595x for ATR operated MOH Covid express services.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

mrkerr7474

Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:55 am

aerorobnz wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Basically correct, add in NZ6xxx for positioning and NZ19xx for Jet and NZ595x for ATR operated MOH Covid express services.

I've noticed quite a few NZ12XX jet services between the main centres over the past couple of months. Assuming these are additional flights compared to what is scheduled to meet demand?

zkncj

Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:25 pm

mrkerr7474 wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:
zkncj wrote:

I've noticed quite a few NZ12XX jet services between the main centres over the past couple of months. Assuming these are additional flights compared to what is scheduled to meet demand?

Feel like they are just additional short notice a321NEO/320 services, I had a couple of last minute trips to WLG/ZQN that haven been in the NZ12XX range.

zkncj

Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:27 am

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-coronavirus-government-announces-new-covid-testing-rules/C4QQPKH2I6J7HZC3ODHBJBNTOY
New Zealand, soon will require an negative COVID-19 test result for all arrivals (exclude Australia/ Pacific Islands).

Also going forward if you arrive in New Zealand, without having an negative COVID-19 test you will now be subject to an $1000 fine.

Would say in the coming weeks, we will see New Zealand becoming extremely hard to come back into. If your not already back home, your chances seem to be getting slimmer by the day.

Almost think it’s time a couple of repatriation flights are arrange from the US/UK that required pre-isolation as well as isolation on arrival.

MillwallSean

Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:26 am

Closing the borders to high risk areas (Europe, North America, South Africa, India etc) seems prudent.

A few days ago I flew out of Auckland. The international terminal was deserted and shops boarded shut. It was eerie to walk around in it and being more or less the only person there. Two people at passport control, one security scanner open. Complete silence.
It was amazing to go through security, calm, no stress and no lining up and barking security staff trying to help inexperienced flyers get through.
Made me realise that there has to be a much better way to handle security at airports. Less stressful. I am sure that the processes employed causes alot of unnecessary aggression.

https://imgur.com/10glwla
https://imgur.com/WtLyo41

Departed on a 777 and well, I think we were 30 that flew out (surprisingly maybe 30-40% in Business class). No point in paying for business when the 15 or so in economy each had more than ample space to lay down and sleep. But my employer handles that so...
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

zkncj

Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:07 am

MillwallSean wrote:
A few days ago I flew out of Auckland. The international terminal was deserted and shops boarded shut. It was eerie to walk around in it and being more or less the only person there. Two people at passport control, one security scanner open. Complete silence.
It was amazing to go through security, calm, no stress and no lining up and barking security staff trying to help inexperienced flyers get through.
Made me realise that there has to be a much better way to handle security at airports. Less stressful. I am sure that the processes employed causes alot of unnecessary aggression.

Sounds like the complete opposite experience of the domestic terminal current, which is over crowded at times with newbie domestic holiday makers.

It almost feels like an waste using the AKL International Terminal for flights anymore. Being that it’s now highly unlikely that any free movement of International travel to New Zealand would resume this year.

Flew out of CHC was weekend, it was an very airy experience with all of the retail / food places closed in the main public area. The walk to the rental car area feels like you have almost walked into an closed terminal.

NZ516

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:51 am

zkncj wrote:
MillwallSean wrote:

Sounds like the complete opposite experience of the domestic terminal current, which is over crowded at times with newbie domestic holiday makers.

It almost feels like an waste using the AKL International Terminal for flights anymore. Being that it’s now highly unlikely that any free movement of International travel to New Zealand would resume this year.

Flew out of CHC was weekend, it was an very airy experience with all of the retail / food places closed in the main public area. The walk to the rental car area feels like you have almost walked into an closed terminal.

The international end is quiet at Christchurch Airport, but the upper level for domestic departures is busy with all the shops eateries open except for one the Japanese restaurant.

zkncj

Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:56 pm

NZ516 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
MillwallSean wrote:

The international end is quiet at Christchurch Airport, but the upper level for domestic departures is busy with all the shops eateries open except for one the Japanese restaurant.

Last Friday afternoon there was atleast 5 food places in the domestic upper level that were closed. Most that were closed look like they had closed down eg partly stripped out. Also don’t think that Mac’s brew bar has opened since the first lockdown?

NZ321

Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:47 pm

zkncj wrote:
MillwallSean wrote:

Been through the same. Understand that it feels like a ghost town at the mo, and that this is actually quite a relief from the usual crush. 777, 787 or 330 - 359 numbers seem to be similar. About 30-40 per flight. So what? Of course it is - because of the current situation. Not rocket science dudes! What's the next step up?
Plane mad!

NZ516

Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:42 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Last Friday afternoon there was atleast 5 food places in the domestic upper level that were closed. Most that were closed look like they had closed down eg partly stripped out. Also don’t think that Mac’s brew bar has opened since the first lockdown?

Fairly busy at the moment with people around.
Today Wednesday there is 4 closed but 13 shops open on the upper level so not too bad. Mac's still closed which is a shame because they had a view of the tarmac.

NZ516

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:05 am

Christchurch airport was busy the other day at 0830 in the morning with 20-25 people lined up with their trolleys waiting in line to drop off their oversize items which can only handle one at a time. The line went as far out to the front door of the terminal people were getting stressed if they will miss their flights. They really need a second oversize counter for the peak periods.

Zkpilot

Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:58 am

Now would be a good time for AKL to get started on building a new domestic terminal seeing as how quiet the international terminal is.

DavidByrne

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:24 am

Zkpilot wrote:
Now would be a good time for AKL to get started on building a new domestic terminal seeing as how quiet the international terminal is.

Now would be a good time for a business which has taken a huge hit in its income and where the future is still very unclear to be extremely cautious about committing large sums of money to capital developments.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

NZ321

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:47 am

Zkpilot wrote:

Couldn't agree more :)
Plane mad!

Zkpilot

Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:20 pm

DavidByrne wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

Now would be a good time for a business which has taken a huge hit in its income and where the future is still very unclear to be extremely cautious about committing large sums of money to capital developments.

Borrowing costs are at record lows. It’s cancelled a lot of its upcoming spending too. It’s not like the new terminal is a nice to have thing... the current domestic terminal was past its use by date decades ago! Even now with reduced flying, the domestic terminal is the weakest link in the domestic network causing disruptions. Even if international travel doesn’t return to somewhat normal in a couple of years it’s still going to be needed.
Your constant negativity is getting boring.

zkncj

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:50 am

Zkpilot wrote:
Borrowing costs are at record lows. It’s cancelled a lot of its upcoming spending too. It’s not like the new terminal is a nice to have thing... the current domestic terminal was past its use by date decades ago! Even now with reduced flying, the domestic terminal is the weakest link in the domestic network causing disruptions. Even if international travel doesn’t return to somewhat normal in a couple of years it’s still going to be needed.

Agree - AIAL should be making the most of current leading rates, it should really been applied for as an Covid19 recovery project as well to get some funding towards its building.
An efficiently functioning domestic terminal, would like have benefits to the whole economy.

The current terminal is poor, it handles A320s just and it you could all the departures area a zoo at times if NZ has two A321NEO departing close together. Thankfully JQ hasn't introduce their a321's into AKL market, that gate 20/21 area would struggle. Gate 24 reminds me sometimes of flying out on a budget airline in a third world country.

AIAL charges around $2.80 for there domestic passenger movement charge, which on an $99 which is around an 2.8% of your fare paid (onto of the other leases and fees that NZ/JQ pay to use the terminal).

Domestic travel likely to be the main travel market in the next 5 years, apart from maybe some short-haul.

NZ6

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:11 am

Zkpilot wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

And most importantly.... things will return, yes it will be "slow"... But slow isn't generational slow and these projects are normally multi year projects anyway.

It wouldn't and couldn't work. But imagine if central government had purchased some of AIAL back and invested by way of stimulus spending and built the second runway, improved the international terminal or built a new dedicated domestic terminal.

zkncj

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:23 pm

NZ6 wrote:
It wouldn't and couldn't work. But imagine if central government had purchased some of AIAL back and invested by way of stimulus spending and built the second runway, improved the international terminal or built a new dedicated domestic terminal.

It seems a common theme of New Zealand Governments for the last 20-30 years, is to invest zero into Airports. Yet they are such an important part of our economy as a whole.
We are more likely to see an new motorway built, before anyone would stoke up money to improve AKL.

DavidByrne

Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 pm

Zkpilot wrote:
Even now with reduced flying, the domestic terminal is the weakest link in the domestic network causing disruptions. Even if international travel doesn’t return to somewhat normal in a couple of years it’s still going to be needed.

Wow - I didn’t realise that my occasional posts put me into the ”constant negativity” category. Where I come from it’s called ”expressing a more realistic point of view”. But whatever.

Of course this is par for the course for A-net. I recall the derision my views received when I dared to suggest early last year that the pandemic would NOT be over in three months, and that it would fundamentally change international travel. Here’s another prediction: it will still be years more until NZ (and international travel generally) get back to the levels experienced in 2019. If indeed they ever do, given the increasingly apocalyptic news on the climate front, the strong likelihood of another GFC-scale economic crisis with the current ridiculously-priced stock market and the fomenting of political instability in almost all corners of the planet.

I wish it were not so and that aviation in general and NZ in particular come through this intact and prosperous. But there’s no point deluding ourselves: the world has changed and all bets are off.

A lot of the discussion on the AKL domestic terminal seems to focus on AIAL putting its hand in its pocket, borrowing up large and building a new facility. I desperately wish they would - I used the terminal twice last week and it’s frankly embarrassing - especially that trek out to the stands for the regional flights. But from the shareholders’ perspective I seriously doubt there is any appetite right now to do that. If you can squeeze profits out of the existing facility for a few more years why wouldn’t you? Especially given the absolutely disastrous year that was 2020.

Which reinforces another point - it’s privately owned. Government is not going to step up and commit gazillions to build the new terminal. It’s ironic, isn’t it, that when a facility like that is state-owned there’s a clamour to have it run by private interests for the sake of “efficiency”, but as soon as it’s privatised and the realities of extracting profits becomes apparent, everyone wants to see it back in state hands. Ah the inconsistencies of the human mind . . .

But in general, let’s not label dissenting points of view as ”negative“ just because they’re different from our own, or attempt to view issues in a more realistic light. Sometimes the rose-tinted environment that is A-net seems to operate in some kind of alternative reality.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

Qantas59

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 am

Does anyone know if the three 777-319ERs, ZK-OKN/OKO/OKQ in AKL will eventually follow others to ROW and VCV? Cheers.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png

zkncj

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:16 am

Qantas59 wrote:
Does anyone know if the three 777-319ERs, ZK-OKN/OKO/OKQ in AKL will eventually follow others to ROW and VCV? Cheers.

They aren’t planned to leave AKL, these 3 aircraft are all in short-term storage in AKL. They are being kept in an condition that means they could be brought back into service within a couple of months notice.

If an Tasman / Pacific bubble does happen in Q1 this year, if there was winter travel demand to the Islands and Queensland those 77W may return to service.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos