Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PSU.DTW.SCE

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:28 am

Honestly, very few outside of the industry care. They view the airlines/tourism/hospitality industry as collateral damage in the greater good of preventing the spread of the virus.
The average person doesn't realize or care about the economic impact of this sector of the economy

dfwking

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:28 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
dfwking wrote:
Look, its not realistic to prevent 100% of imported COVID cases. It comes at too high a cost, especially for the airline industry

Therein lies the problem. Australia has largely got rid of Covid within their own borders.... but at the cost of very very few people being allowed to enter the country and Qnatas becoming pretty much a solely domestic airline
A large number of people on a.net work in the airline industry and are (predictably) not willing to give up their job / salary - they still have to pay the mortgage / rent and put food on the table

The question is what do people who do *NOT* work in the travel / transportation sector think ?

I don't work in the airline or travel industries. Its not primarily about airline / travel jobs; the US government has largely supported airline jobs through CARES 1 and CARES 2. Any policy to tackle COVID-19 needs to be rooted in common sense.

Australia and New Zealand have had great success, yes. But the virus is too far out of control in the US for us to try and emulate what worked in Australia. And from where we stand today, a blanket ban on foreign citizens from a few regions alone (without remedy) is not common sense. You can enter from Mexico, South America, Africa, and Asia with just a negative PCR test. Why single out the UK, EU, Brazil, and China?

Aresxerexade

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:28 pm

trex8 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
travaz wrote:
The good news in AZ is they just announced group 1 C (My Group) will start receiving vaccines January 19. That's good news. Even though I have had the virus and show anti bodies I have been advised by my Doctor to get the vaccine as a means increasing the protection.

On another note I have seen ideas that to travel you will have to show proof of being vaccinated. My neighbor was vaccinated this week and received a 3x5 with the date and a lot number and type (Pfizer) His name and a signature of the person who administered the vaccine. The point being that it would not be hard to forge this card. How would that be handled as proof to travel?

If someone is going to get a forged card, there would be no stopping them. However, when you get vaccinated you are put into an online database; I would suspect that not being in the online database would prevent online purchases of the tickets.

The main point of a vaccine is to prevent the spread, I hope forged cards are not that common.

I'm happy Arizona is well enough run to get to 1C already. I must wait for a later part of 1C. The will do others first and I understand why.

To others: Just reading this thread it is quite obvious people are ready to travel. We are social animals. Lockdown fatigue is here:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... st-fatigue

My anecdotal observations is more and more people are breaking the rules and partying like a governor. During the summer, I watched a series if backyard cocktail parties occur. I later found out Covid19 was spreading; ironically from a family who didn't drink (it spread during a playdate).

I have a reservation to travel in April. The only reason I cancelled my trip for next week is due to LA county's quarantine. Once my parents are vaccinated (in most other states they would be by now, California is botching vaccine distro) I feel safe enough to travel if I am also vaccinated.

Here is the irony, I know people traveling outside of California to get the vaccine... :boggled: If proof of vaccination isn't required, I bet vaccine tourism becomes a thing.

Lightsaber

On line database???? What on line database will the airlines tap? My wife works for the largest health care system in northern IL/WI, another relative works for the 2nd largest health care system in the US and is actively involved in planning the systems vaccine rollout. The health systems know who got the shot through their system, the state doesnt even know who the individuals are, just how many people got shots. How will the airlines/Feds know???? This will be as abused as medical certificates for emotional support animals were!!

edit: and this just in the news, the chain pharmacies are not going to ask for ID! Aint going to be no database worth the electrons in the circuits!
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN29K15N

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... accination

Enter “Travel Pass” , free to travelers and governments, with airlines paying a small fee per passenger to use the service.

It will be based on the existing IATA Timatic system long used to verify documents. The app will use block-chain technology and won’t store data

mercure1

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:42 pm

KLM suspending all longhaul flights effective Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... SS8N2GP01V
mercure f-wtcc

777luver

Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:14 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Honestly, very few outside of the industry care. They view the airlines/tourism/hospitality industry as collateral damage in the greater good of preventing the spread of the virus.
The average person doesn't realize or care about the economic impact of this sector of the economy

Thats the problem. Also, the media isn't doing the industry any favors reporting in every single plane with a covid case on board and leading the public to believe that travel js a root cause for spreading the virus. It's not. In my country the top doctors have said travel isn't a problem but then a week later slaps a pcr test plus quarantine. If people did their research they would realize that travel isn't playing a big part anymore but no one does that

FlyingHonu001

Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:47 pm

mercure1 wrote:
KLM suspending all longhaul flights effective Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... SS8N2GP01V

Still yet to be determined, KL is currently talking with the government if they are willing to make an exception for their long haul operations.

LAXintl

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:51 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
Still yet to be determined, KL is currently talking with the government if they are willing to make an exception for their long haul operations.

Well, the virus does not make exceptions, so neither should authorities.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

LAXintl

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:24 pm

LH CEO Carsten Spohr says the Group is burning €1mil every 2 hours

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1eaKbnLrmRRKX

LAXintl

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:24 pm

HKG imposing stricter quarantine measures starting next week that will also apply to crews.

rHong Kong set to hit aircrew on long-haul flights with strictest quarantine measures from next week in bid to contain surge of infections
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hea ... tor-braces

dfwking

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:23 pm

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1352344808405270537?s=24

I guess if the quarantine bit is implemented, it will end whatever little international demand is out there.

mercure1

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:24 pm

Looks like the U.S. will add a quarantine requirement for inbound international arrivals in addition to the pre-departure testing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... reversing/
mercure f-wtcc

DylanHarvey

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 pm

And just like that travel demand is done. Is it going to be self quarantine or in federal government facilities

DylanHarvey

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 pm

I think the most logical thing is to ground every single aircraft flying. Seems democratic

dfwking

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:32 pm

DylanHarvey wrote:
And just like that travel demand is done. Is it going to be self quarantine or in federal government facilities

Its probably going to be home quarantine. But it’s a fair thing to do...

It will eliminate any non-essential cross-border travel.

DylanHarvey

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:35 pm

dfwking wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:

It will eliminate any non-essential travel across border.

Yeah because travel is the main cause of this.

DylanHarvey

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:36 pm

dfwking wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:

We’re gonna see a lot of airlines go under now for sure.

dfwking

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:37 pm

DylanHarvey wrote:
dfwking wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:

No, but with so many mutations going on all over the world, better to not import any additional strains. This should have been done a long time ago.

You can still go to Florida.

dfwking

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:38 pm

DylanHarvey wrote:
dfwking wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:

We’re gonna see a lot of airlines go under now for sure.

No. They’ve just been given billions. They’ll be fine.

DylanHarvey

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:39 pm

dfwking wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:
dfwking wrote:

No, but with so many mutations going on all over the world, better to not import any additional strains. This should have been done a long time ago.

You can still go to Florida.

I got multiple flights booked to Florida, AA 788’s and loads of DL 767’s

Capricorn

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:27 pm

The US based airlines will probably be fine (or rather fare better than many non US airlines) as they have a strong domestic market to support multiple airlines. US airlines are not as dependent on international travel as many of their foreign competitors from smaller countries.

LNCS0930

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:08 pm

I’m just not sure I understand what the end goal is here. When does this ever end? Now they’re claiming the vaccine is no good because you can still spread it. Are we going to basically be tossing 2021 as going back to normal now too? I hope everyone who elected this buffoon is happy

LAXintl

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:58 pm

The virus does not cross the ocean on its own. Air travel massively helped the spread of it globally.

The responsible thing to do is a layered approach of pre-departure testing, arrival testing, and quarantine.

Its been well shown that passengers have tested negative prior to their trips, to only test positive or get sick shortly after, so quarantining makes sense.

The true effectiveness and length of protection that vaccines may offer has yet to be proven, so its foolish at this stage to rely on them as some magic bullet. They can serve as one layer of protection as do mask, regular washing, social distancing, etc.

2021 is not the year of joy-riding on planes for non-essential travel.

ethernal

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:25 pm

LAXintl wrote:
The virus does not cross the ocean on its own. Air travel massively helped the spread of it globally.

The responsible thing to do is a layered approach of pre-departure testing, arrival testing, and quarantine.

Its been well shown that passengers have tested negative prior to their trips, to only test positive or get sick shortly after, so quarantining makes sense.

The true effectiveness and length of protection that vaccines may offer has yet to be proven, so its foolish at this stage to rely on them as some magic bullet. They can serve as one layer of protection as do mask, regular washing, social distancing, etc.

2021 is not the year of joy-riding on planes for non-essential travel.

I agree but with an asterisk. I understand that one of the reasons why air travel is being targeted is because it is federal jurisdiction (therefore it is controllable with executive orders with some limitations), but it seems rather silly. Air travel - especially international air travel - is such a di minimus source of spread that it isn't worth spinning up a whole regulatory apparatus around. Spread is happening in mass domestically at restaurants/bars, at home, and at work/school - the incremental spread from air travel is just complete noise in the mix. I understand the desire to restrict emergent strains, but the boat is already missed on the UK strain and probably on the South African strain (not detected in the US, but also not being tested for.. expect positives to show up in the next couple of weeks).

I just don't believe we're going to be able to properly control strain-specific spread even with greater testing measures and "mandated quarantine" (getting to that in a moment). When the virus is so endemic and so common, trying to isolate and detect strain spread is just going to be hard. Once the virus is under control in the US, strict international controls actually make more sense than they do now, especially if there is any sniff of vaccine-resistant mutations that start cropping up in countries that are behind the curve on vaccinations.

The quarantine requirement is a joke unless this executive order re-appropriates huge parts of the CBP or other federal agency to do in-home checks afterwards. State quarantine requirements have just been outright ignored. The only practical enforcement I've seen is the rejection of visits <10-14 days (enforced by hotels/airlines but doesn't impact returning residents). I expect compliance to be low even for otherwise law-abiding citizens because of the cognitive dissonance of why they have to quarantine without a positive test or symptoms when COVID is so prevalent in the US (>30% of population has likely been infected). Any appeal on "well, some strains may be more dangerous" will be tough. And, of course, in-home checks are unlikely given the political sensitivity in the US to COVID as a whole and perceived rights infringement.

So, it seems like a bit of "do something-ism" for a problem that is minimal at best. If the intent was to reduce travel overall then the same restrictions should be applied to domestic travel as well, not just international inbound travel. At least that's my perspective.

ethernal

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:36 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
I’m just not sure I understand what the end goal is here. When does this ever end? Now they’re claiming the vaccine is no good because you can still spread it. Are we going to basically be tossing 2021 as going back to normal now too?

No informed people are claiming that the vaccine is no good because you can still spread it. The vaccine probably does prevent spread. In fact, early data from Israel (which is the most progressed nation vaccination-wise) provides an indication that it does. But there is a difference between "we know it prevents spread" versus "we don't have data to support it." The latter is what is being said. The clinical trials for both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines only looked at symptomatic cases as positives; they did not do random tests throughout the trials. This was by design to minimize complexity and simplify the trials to get them done as soon as possible. There are now active efforts underway to assess infection protection (vs. just symptom protection). There are good theoretical reasons why the vaccine should prevent infection and spread, but medicine and science don't work off of theory: they work off of data.

Once there is strong data that the vaccine prevents infection (and spread) and not just symptoms, then policy and approach can have fact-based changes.

Keep in mind that we're also all of basically 4 or 5 weeks into the vaccination campaign. Even those vaccinated with the first shot on December 20th are only now technically "fully protected" having at least ten days lapse from the second vaccination. Things will inflect quickly at a tipping point, but that takes time. Be patient. International restrictions will likely persist for some time, but barring a black swan event of a vaccine-resistant strain with the same infectiousness and lethality as vanilla COVID-19, life will be back to normal domestically by the summer. There's no need to induce panic or sensationalize anything.

There are huge counterbalances that will encourage policy change at the earliest possible moment. Airlines are multi-billion dollar behemoths with multi-million dollar lobbying arms. The government isn't going to keep a policy that suppresses international travel for longer then they have to. Right or wrong, there's enough lobbying happening behind the scenes to make sure that doesn't happen.

DylanHarvey

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:50 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
I’m just not sure I understand what the end goal is here. When does this ever end? Now they’re claiming the vaccine is no good because you can still spread it. Are we going to basically be tossing 2021 as going back to normal now too? I hope everyone who elected this buffoon is happy

The whole goal is to vaccinate people for something that has a 99.5-99.7% survival rate and to institute more control and not let us have freedom.

LNCS0930

Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:23 am

DylanHarvey wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

The whole goal is to vaccinate people for something that has a 99.5-99.7% survival rate and to institute more control and not let us have freedom.

I have no problems with them wanting to get 70-80% vaccinated but that’ll take 12-18 months and I think to a degree if people start seeing that they aren’t necessarily going to lift restrictions despite the vaccine beginning to widely distribute they might be reluctant to get the vaccine anyway

lightsaber

Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:12 am

LAXintl wrote:

Putting that in perspective, that is a loss of about 3 jobs per hour. :cry2:

Nothing is free.

Lightsaber
10 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

max999

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:18 am

LNCS0930 wrote:

The goal is to slow down the spread until vaccines become widespread. And to slow down the spread means to reduce mobility to only the most essential travel. Flying to Mexico for a beach vacation is not essential. Flying to a client meeting is not essential when video conference is available.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

2nd2none

Denmark : All flights from UAE banned for 5 days

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:13 am

All flights from UAE (Dubai etc) banned for 5 days, due to dubious Covid19 testing :
Article in Danish
https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/ECE1 ... fra-dubai/

UAEflyer

Re: Denmark : All flights from UAE banned for 5 days

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:36 am

Maybe Norway, Sweden will follow.. Netherlands is considering too

LNCS0930

Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:07 pm

max999 wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

The goal is to slow down the spread until vaccines become widespread. And to slow down the spread means to reduce mobility to only the most essential travel. Flying to Mexico for a beach vacation is not essential. Flying to a client meeting is not essential when video conference is available.

That’s early 2022 probably. I don’t think anybody wants to go through this for another year. Especially when by summer due to seasonal impacts and most people over 65 vaccinated the cases and deaths probably fall to numbers we saw last summer which was only 20-30,000 nationwide a day which is nothing relatively speaking

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:45 pm

lightsaber wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Nothing is free.

Lightsaber

That works out to over a quarter of a billion every month, if it is 24 hours a day. Aren't most US airlines aiming for multi-millions per month? What is the difference? Those figures jumped out at me when I first read them, but I simply have no background to explain how LH can be losing so much money, and not in panic mode.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

SamYeager2016

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:59 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
That works out to over a quarter of a billion every month, if it is 24 hours a day. Aren't most US airlines aiming for multi-millions per month? What is the difference? Those figures jumped out at me when I first read them, but I simply have no background to explain how LH can be losing so much money, and not in panic mode.

Didn't LH get a 10B euro bailout from their government and an easy ride from the competition authorities? On your figures that gives them a pretty large buffer.

lightsaber

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:08 pm

2nd2none wrote:
All flights from UAE (Dubai etc) banned for 5 days, due to dubious Covid19 testing :
Article in Danish
https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/ECE1 ... fra-dubai/

Partial Google translate:

"The citizen's request, which has led the authorities to close off flights from the United Arab Emirates, including Dubai, for five days is so serious that the situation must be taken very seriously.

That's what Transport Minister Benny Engelbrecht (Social Democrat) says.

- The suspicion is that the tests carried out in Dubai may be either deliberately or unconsciously sloppy to ensure that people boarding an aircraft have a negative corona test."

That is bad...

Lightsaber
10 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Alias1024

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:17 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Nothing is free.

Lightsaber

LH’s cash burn is roughly in line with the expected cash burn DL outlined in their last conference call. DL projected $10-15 million per day in Q1.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

catiii

Scott Kirby wants UA to Require Employees to Get Vaccinated

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:52 pm

“I think the right thing to do is for United Airlines, and for other companies, to require the vaccines and to make them mandatory.”

That’s certainly one way to keep headcount down post pandemic!

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/united- ... oyees.html

ojjunior

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:07 pm

Does anyone know why is SK flying to GRU as we speak?

7XXX flights means what?

It's been several years since last SK visit to GRU.

SK7005 from Copenhagen to Sao Paulo https://fr24.com/SAS7005/26a2d39b

oldJoe

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:57 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Nothing is free.

Lightsaber

The LH CEO Spohr said the "LH Group" and not LH alone.
Read through the following link and you know the LH Group had in 2019 ~580 Subsidiaries and equity investments

source : https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/company.html

AirbusOnly

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:58 pm

If this is really true, at least Germany should also stop all flights from the UAE for an indefinite period. It is irresponsible when people who are supposedly tested negative via the UAE, which is supposedly virus-free (who would believe it...), are actually positive and act as multispreader. In this way, EMIRATES in particular is putting its good reputation at risk.

dcajet

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:17 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Does anyone know why is SK flying to GRU as we speak?

7XXX flights means what?

It's been several years since last SK visit to GRU.

SK7005 from Copenhagen to Sao Paulo https://fr24.com/SAS7005/26a2d39b

Cargo most likely. Same reason TAP is flying nonstop Lisbon to Curitiba with A339.
Last edited by dcajet on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Avgeek21

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:18 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
If this is really true, at least Germany should also stop all flights from the UAE for an indefinite period. It is irresponsible when people who are supposedly tested negative via the UAE, which is supposedly virus-free (who would believe it...), are actually positive and act as multispreader. In this way, EMIRATES in particular is putting its good reputation at risk.

Don’t believe everything your read or hear. Firstly the UAE is not virus free. It’s under control and life is pretty much normal bar a few restrictions. All daily test data is published via official channels daily.

The UAE can simply not afford this issue so it will not allow nor tolerate such. Too much at risk. Health care in the UAE is first class and life is setup around testing ease and free vaccination. The UAE also handless mass PCR test being flown in from around the world as the originating countries simply don't have the infrastructure or skilled manpower.

Again, they can not afford to get it wrong. Willfully or by accident. I have personally seen a few cases where it was detected that people tried to travel with fraudulent test result TO the UAE. (And got denied boarding and detained) I have yet to experience the other way around. I’m sure there are always bad people where there is money to be made but the penalties in the UAE for such are very severe.

If there is anywhere I feel safe it’s the UAE.

rmoore7734

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:20 pm

United Airlines CEO wants to make Covid vaccines mandatory for the company’s employees (link below).

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/united- ... oyees.html

UA employees should get in writing that UA would be "fully liable for any and all harm, loss, damage, negative consequences of the vaccination upon the vaccinated party" for example.

Get a good lawyer to draw one up.

AirbusOnly

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:38 pm

Avgeek21 wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:

Don’t believe everything your read or hear. Firstly the UAE is not virus free. It’s under control and life is pretty much normal bar a few restrictions. All daily test data is published via official channels daily.

The UAE can simply not afford this issue so it will not allow nor tolerate such. Too much at risk. Health care in the UAE is first class and life is setup around testing ease and free vaccination. The UAE also handless mass PCR test being flown in from around the world as the originating countries simply don't have the infrastructure or skilled manpower.

Again, they can not afford to get it wrong. Willfully or by accident. I have personally seen a few cases where it was detected that people tried to travel with fraudulent test result TO the UAE. (And got denied boarding and detained) I have yet to experience the other way around. I’m sure there are always bad people where there is money to be made but the penalties in the UAE for such are very severe.

It has just been announced in the German media: The UAE was declared a "high incidence area" by the German government today, which is equivalent to a high risk area. Fake after all, so much for safe

zkojq

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:34 pm

Not too surprising. Weren't they banned from Hong Kong twice for similar reasons?

Lots of (wealthy) Europeans went to Dubai over the past weeks to avoid lockdowns and to party. Unsurprisingly lots of them contract the virus.
First to fly the 787-9

dcajet

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:41 pm

Alitalia suspends Rome FCO - Buenos Aires EZE service during February and March, resuming in April; last flight will leave EZE on 31/1.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:53 pm

zkojq wrote:
Not too surprising. Weren't they banned from Hong Kong twice for similar reasons?

Lots of (wealthy) Europeans went to Dubai over the past weeks to avoid lockdowns and to party. Unsurprisingly lots of them contract the virus.

Long incubation period, highly contagious pre-symptomatic stage and ~70% accuracy of PCR test are the reasons it is very difficult to manage this virus and have normal life.

By the time one tests positive damage is already done.

Ideally travel should be restricted to essential business and family emergencies.

Very difficult situation for tourism based economies.
All posts are just opinions.

mercure1

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:32 am

State of airline activity in Europe.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsQh0fGXUAI ... name=large
mercure f-wtcc

mercure1

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:35 am

Justin Trudeau does not mince words for his citizens.

Let me be very clear:
Nobody should be taking a vacation abroad right now. If you’ve got one planned, cancel it - and don’t book a trip for spring break. We need to hang on and hold tight for the next few months and get through to the spring in the best shape possible.

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/statu ... 0164948993
mercure f-wtcc

VSMUT

Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:06 am

Avgeek21 wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:

The Danish minister for health is reporting that 50 confirmed cases arrived from the UAE, 33 of them after mandatory testing within 24 hours prior to departure was introduced on the 9th of January. You may claim that it is safe, but something is definitely wrong in the UAE, be it with poor tests, illegal falsification or a much larger unreported outbreak.

https://twitter.com/Heunicke/status/1352715981009924098

Okie

Re: COVID-19 News and Reference Thread

Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:14 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Single dose Vaccine (Pfizer) not working as well as hoped: https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/si ... r-BB1cTyhf

Questions over the effectiveness of the vaccine were raised amid reports that thousands of Israelis were still becoming sick after receiving the vaccine, although the public health services head, Sharon Alroy-Preis, said that in most cases this was because the individuals had not built up sufficient antibodies after being inoculated before being exposed to the virus.

Basically, the second dose seems to be needed to really slow the virus. Bummer

Lightsaber

As stated in your posted article and confirmed by Pfizer or a simple DuckDuck to "efficacy of covid vaccine after one dose" which has links to Pfzer's application for emergency use of the vaccine indicates how well and how long before it become effective.
Single Dose was 14 days to become 40% effective topping out at 52%.
Second Dose 3 weeks after First Dose still required and additional 3 more weeks to hit 94%.

So basically 6 to 8 weeks before there is a maximum response by the immune system.

Interesting that someone would float the single shot with immediate response.

Okie