Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:52 am

Phosphorus wrote:
747classic wrote:
N626UP, after paint, was ferried back from Portland at February 17th , see : https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N62 ... /KPDX/KPAE

For a Portland departure video, see : https://twitter.com/KeithPDXAir/status/ ... 7936241668

in 2020, the first frame returned from paint on Feb 25.

2021 is for now one week ahead.


L/N 1558 was returned at Feb 25th 2020 and was scheduled to be delivered to ABC at Feb 28th 2020. What happened next, we all know !
L/N 1563, N626UP is indeed returned one week earlier, but I doubt that it will be delivered very soon. For UPS this is the after peak low season.
IMO, it's to early to draw conclusions yet. Perhaps we can notice a (slight) assembly increase when the next (L/N 1564, N627UP) will roll-out.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:58 am

The next 747-8F for UPS, N626UP, performed a customer acceptance flight at March 5th, see : https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N62 ... /KPAE/KPAE

See also Matt Cawby's Paine Field blog of March 5th :
http://www.paineairport.com/images/kpae19101x.png
http://www.paineairport.com/images/kpae19103v.png

N626UP is scheduled to be delivered at March 9th 2021.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:06 am

N626UP, returning from another check flight (C2?), March 06th 2021

Image

Original uploaded by Jennifer Schuld at twitter, see : https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/13 ... 1024098308
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 26290
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:49 pm

Seems we don't have to think about LH buying back the 747-8i that it rejected earlier, it's been sold to an undisclosed entity for VVIP conversion.

Ref: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-pandemic
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:03 pm

Revelation wrote:
Seems we don't have to think about LH buying back the 747-8i that it rejected earlier, it's been sold to an undisclosed entity for VVIP conversion.

Ref: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-pandemic


One (1) 747-8I order has also been listed in the Boeing order list updated through 2/28/2021 : Order in February 2021 of 1 X 747-8I for an unidentified customer.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
aristoenigma
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:21 am

747classic wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Seems we don't have to think about LH buying back the 747-8i that it rejected earlier, it's been sold to an undisclosed entity for VVIP conversion.

Ref: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-pandemic


One (1) 747-8I order has also been listed in the Boeing order list updated through 2/28/2021 : Order in February 2021 of 1 X 747-8I for an unidentified customer.


Dumb question but does this mean 1435 is certainly the subject aircraft?
 
danipawa
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:51 am

Nice ! one Queen out of storage
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:49 am

aristoenigma wrote:
747classic wrote:

One (1) 747-8I order has also been listed in the Boeing order list updated through 2/28/2021 : Order in February 2021 of 1 X 747-8I for an unidentified customer.


Dumb question but does this mean 1435 is certainly the subject aircraft?


L/N 1435 is the only available, Boeing owned, 747-8I.
Note : L/N 1446, the other available 747-8I, is still owned by a Saudia entity via the Bank of Utah Trustee and stored at BSL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other 747-8 news :

L/N 1563, 747-8F, RC689, UPS #21, serial number 65781, N626UP delivery flight towards Louisville (KSDF) with callsign 5X9502 at March 09th 2021, see :
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UPS ... /KPAE/KSDF
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
na
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:35 pm

What is the reason behind that some 748s do carry a test registration before delivery, others (most) not? For example N626UP did, N625UP didn't.
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 3968
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:49 pm

na wrote:
What is the reason behind that some 748s do carry a test registration before delivery, others (most) not? For example N626UP did, N625UP didn't.


I've been monitoring the test flight numbers for over 20 years and long since concluded there is no logic to them.
 
aristoenigma
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:00 am

747classic wrote:
aristoenigma wrote:
747classic wrote:

One (1) 747-8I order has also been listed in the Boeing order list updated through 2/28/2021 : Order in February 2021 of 1 X 747-8I for an unidentified customer.


Dumb question but does this mean 1435 is certainly the subject aircraft?


L/N 1435 is the only available, Boeing owned, 747-8I.
Note : L/N 1446, the other available 747-8I, is still owned by a Saudia entity via the Bank of Utah Trustee and stored at BSL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you 747Classic. I thought perhaps Boeing may have arranged a buy back from the Saudia entity and then sold.on to the undisclosed buyer. Greater sense for Boeing to clear their balance sheet and sell L/N1435. I also had thought the Basel stored plane was more ready to convert to VIP. Any guesses who the undisclosed buyer is? Would they have kicked tires on the Basel stored L/N 1446 and maybe the fully completed VIP Qatar Amiri A7-HBJ that has been for sale for awhile?
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:39 pm

Most recent picture of L/N 1435, N828BA at the A-net data base.

N828BA, VCV, October 31, 2020
Image

Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 27608
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:15 pm

aristoenigma wrote:
Thank you 747Classic. I thought perhaps Boeing may have arranged a buy back from the Saudia entity and then sold.on to the undisclosed buyer.


Boeing could facilitate such a transaction, but they would not record a sale in such a scenario as they do not own the plane (unless they bought it and sold it on as part of the deal).

aristoenigma wrote:
I also had thought the Basel stored plane was more ready to convert to VIP...Would they have kicked tires on the Basel stored L/N 1446 and maybe the fully completed VIP Qatar Amiri A7-HBJ that has been for sale for awhile?


If they are starting "fresh", the might not have wanted A7-HBJ due to the expense of removing that interior and installing their own. And it is possible Boeing made a better deal than the owners of the frame in Basel did.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:56 pm

Stitch wrote:
aristoenigma wrote:
Thank you 747Classic. I thought perhaps Boeing may have arranged a buy back from the Saudia entity and then sold.on to the undisclosed buyer.


Boeing could facilitate such a transaction, but they would not record a sale in such a scenario as they do not own the plane (unless they bought it and sold it on as part of the deal).

aristoenigma wrote:
I also had thought the Basel stored plane was more ready to convert to VIP...Would they have kicked tires on the Basel stored L/N 1446 and maybe the fully completed VIP Qatar Amiri A7-HBJ that has been for sale for awhile?


If they are starting "fresh", the might not have wanted A7-HBJ due to the expense of removing that interior and installing their own. And it is possible Boeing made a better deal than the owners of the frame in Basel did.



Boeing needs $$$$$, no "dead capital" in the desert, so it has to be a very attractive Boeing deal.
Also Boeing has the resources to deliver L/N 1435 in "factory fresh" condition
"factory fresh" means : all AD's completed, most probably PIP engines installed, gear swap, etc.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
aristoenigma
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:00 pm

Very interesting 747classic. So even better than off the show room floor. Does the weight issue initially observed as the first off the line also get solved in the conversion? Would you guess this bought by a government/monarchy or corporate honcho?
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 27608
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:59 am

aristoenigma wrote:
Does the weight issue initially observed as the first off the line also get solved in the conversion?


Depending on how hard they strip the frame in preparation for conversion, it would be interesting to see if they ever find the many tons of ballast Boeing is said to have lost track of where they put it on that frame, which is a major contributor to it's significant OEW.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:53 am

If purchased by a customer for VIP use, my first choice would have been L/N 1446, stored inside a hangar at BSL, and built as a 747-8I/BBJ, with structural provisions for aerolift and aeroloft installation.
See : https://www.greenpoint.com/747-8-aerolift/
And : https://www.greenpoint.com/747-8-aeroloft/

L/N 1435 must have been offered with a very large discount. (or has been secretly purchased by the USAF :) )
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:12 am

747classic wrote:
I also cannot see any sense in this backward filling up of this UPS serial number block, however out of sequence building is more often noticed.

UPS ordered 14 747-8F aircraft (second batch) and four 767-300F aircraft in February 2018, see : https://www.boeing.com/commercial/custo ... order.page

The order was (most probably) listed by Boeing with serial number block 65774 -65791
However, one of these serial numbers was cancelled in May 2020 (and substituded by L/N 1558 Volga Dnepr NTU , now N624UP)

65774
65775
65776
65777
65778
65779
65780
65781 747-8F L/N 1563 N626UP
65782 747-8F L/N 1562 N625UP
65783 747-8F L/N 1561 N623UP
65784 747-8F L/N 1560 N622UP
65785 747-8F L/N 1559 N621UP
65786
65787 747-8F L/N 1557 N620UP
65788 767-300F L/N1180 N365UP
65789 767-300F L/N1186 N366UP
65790 767-300F L/N1190 N367UP
65791 767-300F L/N1209 N371UP


N627UP has been listed at the FAA registry with serial number 65780, the backwards filling up of the reserved number block continues.

Aircraft data : L/N 1564, 747-8F, RC690, UPS #22, serial number 65780, N627UP
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
workhorse
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:35 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:23 am

So in 2018 Boeing ordered from Triumph parts for 20 747-8s.

14 have been ordered by UPS.

4 are now ordered by Atlas (as the final outcome of the Volga-Dnepr/UPS/Atlas saga) and Boeing says this will be the end of it.

The question is: what are they going to do with 2 more sets of parts?
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:38 am

workhorse wrote:
So in 2018 Boeing ordered from Triumph parts for 20 747-8s.

14 have been ordered by UPS.

4 are now ordered by Atlas (as the final outcome of the Volga-Dnepr/UPS/Atlas saga) and Boeing says this will be the end of it.

The question is: what are they going to do with 2 more sets of parts?


AFAIK the exact number of 747-8F shipsets in the final batch ordered by Boeing from Triumph was never officially revealed and that caused a lot of speculations on A-net.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 27608
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:18 pm

workhorse wrote:
So in 2018 Boeing ordered from Triumph parts for 20 747-8s. 14 have been ordered by UPS. 4 are now ordered by Atlas (as the final outcome of the Volga-Dnepr/UPS/Atlas saga) and Boeing says this will be the end of it. The question is: what are they going to do with 2 more sets of parts?


It is quite possible, if not probable, that the 20 sets Boeing ordered handled not only the 18 subsequent orders, but also 2 previous orders. Otherwise, Boeing would have made Atlas an offer for six that they could not refuse rather than the four. The goal was to get rid of every 747-8 they could build so they could close the line.
 
aristoenigma
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:14 am

747classic wrote:
L/N 1435 must have been offered with a very large discount. (or has been secretly purchased by the USAF :) )

That would be so cool if l/n 1435 becomes the genesis of the replacement E-4.
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 3968
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:34 am

I doubt it would show as unidentified on Boeing's public orders page if the USAF had taken it.
 
744SPX
Posts: 486
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:57 pm

Does that then bring the total number of 748's built and delivered to 156 at line closure?
 
MEA-707
Posts: 3854
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 1999 4:51 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:20 pm

744SPX wrote:
Does that then bring the total number of 748's built and delivered to 156 at line closure?

I am almost sure it will be 155; LN 1420 to 1574. 1563 is the highest delivered 747. There will follow 7 for UPS and 4 for Atlas, so 11 more new ones to be delivered. That would make the last 20 shipsets from Triumph must be LN 1555 to 1574
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?
 
aristoenigma
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:15 am

RobK wrote:
I doubt it would show as unidentified on Boeing's public orders page if the USAF had taken it.

I would have thought that Boeing would comply with any national security request to keep the secret. Given they are obliged to publicize the sale.as a publicly traded company. OTOH maybe the USAF is still seeking another three frames so there is a secondary advantage.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:58 am

MEA-707 wrote:
744SPX wrote:
Does that then bring the total number of 748's built and delivered to 156 at line closure?

I am almost sure it will be 155; LN 1420 to 1574. 1563 is the highest delivered 747. There will follow 7 for UPS and 4 for Atlas, so 11 more new ones to be delivered. That would make the last 20 shipsets from Triumph must be LN 1555 to 1574


As of today :
144 Completed airframes , Delivered 143 , Delivered 2011 (9), 2012 (31), 2013 (24), 2014 (19), 2015 (18), 2016 (9), 2017 (14), 2018 (6), 2019 (7), 2020 (5), 2021 (1)
Only L/N 1435 has to be delivered (seems to have been finally sold to an unidentified customer)

Still to be completed : eleven (11) 747-8 aircraft, 7 x UPS and 4 x Atlas Air (L/N 1564 till/incl L/N 1574)

Expected total 747-8 aircraft to be built : 155.

First was L/N 1420, last will be L/N 1574.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
744SPX
Posts: 486
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:56 pm

747classic wrote:
MEA-707 wrote:
744SPX wrote:
Does that then bring the total number of 748's built and delivered to 156 at line closure?

I am almost sure it will be 155; LN 1420 to 1574. 1563 is the highest delivered 747. There will follow 7 for UPS and 4 for Atlas, so 11 more new ones to be delivered. That would make the last 20 shipsets from Triumph must be LN 1555 to 1574


As of today :
144 Completed airframes , Delivered 143 , Delivered 2011 (9), 2012 (31), 2013 (24), 2014 (19), 2015 (18), 2016 (9), 2017 (14), 2018 (6), 2019 (7), 2020 (5), 2021 (1)
Only L/N 1435 has to be delivered (seems to have been finally sold to an unidentified customer)

Still to be completed : eleven (11) 747-8 aircraft, 7 x UPS and 4 x Atlas Air (L/N 1564 till/incl L/N 1574)

Expected total 747-8 aircraft to be built : 155.

First was L/N 1420, last will be L/N 1574.



Thanks!
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 27608
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:45 pm

RobK wrote:
I doubt it would show as unidentified on Boeing's public orders page if the USAF had taken it.

aristoenigma wrote:
I would have thought that Boeing would comply with any national security request to keep the secret.


Such purchases would have already been part of the Public Record as part of whatever Defense Authorization Bill passed by Congress funded them.

Since there has been no mention of any such funding in any recent Defense Authorization Bill, it is very safe to presume that the USAF was not a customer.
 
aristoenigma
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:14 pm

Such purchases would have already been part of the Public Record as part of whatever Defense Authorization Bill passed by Congress funded them.

Since there has been no mention of any such funding in any recent Defense Authorization Bill, it is very safe to presume that the USAF was not a customer.[/quote]
Thanks Stitch. Maybe it was a Gulf state or Gulf businessperson that bought.. Dubai Airwing? Kingdom Holdings?
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:31 am

N627UP emerged from the FAL during the night from March 21th and March 22th.
See Matt Cawby's March 22th 2021 Paine Field blog : http://www.paineairport.com/kpae19153w.htm

Aircraft data : L/N 1564, 747-8F, RC690, UPS #22, serial number 65780, N627UP, roll-out March 21/22th 2021
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:14 am

N627UP made her first (B1) flight at April 8th with callsign BOE690, see : https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N62 ... /KPAE/KPAE

N627UP, KPAE, April 8th 2021
Image

Orginal uploaded by Matt Cawby at twitter, see : https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/13 ... 0216572929
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
Phosphorus
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:41 am

In February, during an investor call, Triumph made a somewhat hilarious statement on their remaining 747 commitments:
"We have less than 3 shipsets remaining to deliver on the program."
Of course, a 747 shipset is a lot of stuff, so of course "less than 3" is not necessarily 1 or 2, it could be "3 minus some panels we already shipped", but on the face of it, sounded unobvious.
Full transcript here:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/440313 ... transcript

On a more serious note, Triumph is lauding themselves on how quickly end efficiently they are extricating themselves from 747-8 program, and are looking forward to putting it in the rear-view mirror in two quarters. Just another "brick in the wall", showing it's a one-way ticket for 747-8 program at this point.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:28 am

Phosphorus wrote:
In February, during an investor call, Triumph made a somewhat hilarious statement on their remaining 747 commitments:
"We have less than 3 shipsets remaining to deliver on the program."
Of course, a 747 shipset is a lot of stuff, so of course "less than 3" is not necessarily 1 or 2, it could be "3 minus some panels we already shipped", but on the face of it, sounded unobvious.
Full transcript here:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/440313 ... transcript

On a more serious note, Triumph is lauding themselves on how quickly end efficiently they are extricating themselves from 747-8 program, and are looking forward to putting it in the rear-view mirror in two quarters. Just another "brick in the wall", showing it's a one-way ticket for 747-8 program at this point.


I'm surprised that Triumph was still producing (parts of) 747 shipsets as late as February 2021.
According earlier reports I was under the impression that all Triumph 747 related production already had been completed.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
filipinoavgeek
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:18 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:41 am

Still hard to believe that the last 747 will be completed after the last A380, despite the A380 being newer and bigger.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019
 
User avatar
Phosphorus
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:32 pm

747classic wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:
In February, during an investor call, Triumph made a somewhat hilarious statement on their remaining 747 commitments:
"We have less than 3 shipsets remaining to deliver on the program."
Of course, a 747 shipset is a lot of stuff, so of course "less than 3" is not necessarily 1 or 2, it could be "3 minus some panels we already shipped", but on the face of it, sounded unobvious.
Full transcript here:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/440313 ... transcript

On a more serious note, Triumph is lauding themselves on how quickly end efficiently they are extricating themselves from 747-8 program, and are looking forward to putting it in the rear-view mirror in two quarters. Just another "brick in the wall", showing it's a one-way ticket for 747-8 program at this point.


I'm surprised that Triumph was still producing (parts of) 747 shipsets as late as February 2021.
According earlier reports I was under the impression that all Triumph 747 related production already had been completed.

Logic says that major things are already built, but yeah, the fact that they have actual production costs, and still need production to close to fully clear out a plant and write off whatever has to be written off -- that does mean something.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:21 am

N627UP made a combined B2 and ferry flight, performing some approaches with break off's at Moses Lake with final destination Portland for paint at April 10th, with callsign BOE690 :
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N62 ... /KPAE/KPDX
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
SEPilot
Posts: 5729
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:21 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:40 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Still hard to believe that the last 747 will be completed after the last A380, despite the A380 being newer and bigger.

I made a bet with Keesje when the A380 was entering service that the last A380 would be built before the last 747. And the reason I believed that was because of 747F sales. It looks like I win, but not by much.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:38 am

747classic wrote:
N627UP made a combined B2 and ferry flight, performing some approaches with break off's at Moses Lake with final destination Portland for paint at April 10th, with callsign BOE690 :
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N62 ... /KPAE/KPDX


N627UP, approach to Portland (KPDX), April 10th 2021
Image

Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
Phosphorus
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:37 am

747classic wrote:
747classic wrote:
N627UP made a combined B2 and ferry flight, performing some approaches with break off's at Moses Lake with final destination Portland for paint at April 10th, with callsign BOE690 :
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N62 ... /KPAE/KPDX


N627UP, approach to Portland (KPDX), April 10th 2021
Image


Interestingly, this means that there are exactly ten 747-8 frames that are still to fly (and be built, before that, of course) before the program (in its current form, at least) closes.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:12 am

N627UP was ferried back from Portland to Paine Field after paint at April 20th., see : https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N62 ... /KPDX/KPAE

N627UP, Portland (PDX), BOE690, April 20th 2021
Image

Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
Boeing757100
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:37 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Still hard to believe that the last 747 will be completed after the last A380, despite the A380 being newer and bigger.



Indeed, though the last A380 will be delivered May next year I believe? The Atlas 747s will continue to be delivered till October and then they'll deliver LN 1435 by next year's end. So she did outlast the A380, though barely. All hail the Queen!
Going to ATL airport in 2019 is like being in 2013
Going to ATL airport in 2010 is like being in 2000
Going to ATL airport in 1998 is like being in 1988
Going to ATL airport in 2035 is like watching paint dry
 
aristoenigma
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:25 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:
Still hard to believe that the last 747 will be completed after the last A380, despite the A380 being newer and bigger.



Indeed, though the last A380 will be delivered May next year I believe? The Atlas 747s will continue to be delivered till October and then they'll deliver LN 1435 by next year's end. So she did outlast the A380, though barely. All hail the Queen!


Was LN 1435 ironically the first and last 8i delivered? Whoever bought it will hopefully have the modifications befitting for a Queen's swan song.
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:39 pm

aristoenigma wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:
Still hard to believe that the last 747 will be completed after the last A380, despite the A380 being newer and bigger.



Indeed, though the last A380 will be delivered May next year I believe? The Atlas 747s will continue to be delivered till October and then they'll deliver LN 1435 by next year's end. So she did outlast the A380, though barely. All hail the Queen!


Was LN 1435 ironically the first and last 8i delivered? Whoever bought it will hopefully have the modifications befitting for a Queen's swan song.


Not sure what date you would consider it ‘first delivered’ since it’s an NTU (no snark, just wondering if there was a contractual date or something because my memory doesn’t go back that far lol). A7-HHE (LN1439) seems to be the first 748i/BBJ delivered, while 9K-GAA is the earliest 748i/BBJ based off LN number (LN1434).

Also, does that delivery date refer to when N828BA fly out off to outfitting, or is it presumed that the interior fitting will be finished by the end of next year? Trying to figure out when it’ll leave VCV because I’d love to catch it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 27608
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39 pm

VCVSpotter wrote:
Not sure what date you would consider it ‘first delivered’ since it’s an NTU (no snark, just wondering if there was a contractual date or something because my memory doesn’t go back that far lol). A7-HHE (LN1439) seems to be the first 748i/BBJ delivered, while 9K-GAA is the earliest 748i/BBJ based off LN number (LN1434).


It was meant to be the first LH frame, but it would not have been the first frame delivered to LH even if they had chosen to take it.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:11 pm

aristoenigma wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:
Still hard to believe that the last 747 will be completed after the last A380, despite the A380 being newer and bigger.



Indeed, though the last A380 will be delivered May next year I believe? The Atlas 747s will continue to be delivered till October and then they'll deliver LN 1435 by next year's end. So she did outlast the A380, though barely. All hail the Queen!


Was LN 1435 ironically the first and last 8i delivered? Whoever bought it will hopefully have the modifications befitting for a Queen's swan song.

The two Transaero NTU's that are to become Air Force One will deliver long after any others
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 3968
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:12 pm

They contractually delivered to the USAF PAR PROGRAM years ago. N828BA is the only old frame which hasn't contractually delivered.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:24 pm

RobK wrote:
They contractually delivered to the USAF PAR PROGRAM years ago. N828BA is the only old frame which hasn't contractually delivered.

Ahhhh - didn't think about that, you are of course correct. I guess I could say they'll be the last to fly for their buyer
 
aristoenigma
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:29 pm

Is N828BA / LN 1435 sitting in the desert still? Or was it moved after sale to a weather neutral storage facility? I get it takes time to have a modification scheduled but a 3-400 Million investment sitting under a tarp?????
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boeing 747 Production/Delivery Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:45 am

aristoenigma wrote:
Is N828BA / LN 1435 sitting in the desert still? Or was it moved after sale to a weather neutral storage facility? I get it takes time to have a modification scheduled but a 3-400 Million investment sitting under a tarp?????


Still sitting at VCV. Outside. Kinda taped up but some coverings have been removed (following analysis is copy and paste from the SoCal Boneyard thread where I did an update when it was originally sold):

I went back and compared photos of LH 748 N828BA (from November 2020 vs March 13, 2021) at VCV to see if there were any changes after Boeing had announced that they secured a customer for that airframe. Here’s what I found:

Various small engine panels on the cowling as well as the pylon (not the cowling itself) were taped up, that tape has been removed.

The foil around the landing gear and gear doors has been removed.

The foil on the cockpit windows has been removed.

The tape sealing the L1 door has been removed.

She still has seals on the rest of her doors and some foil on the left side of the tail.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos