Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hollywoodcory

Re: The WestJet Thread - 2021

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:13 pm

Looks like they're starting to expand the MAX out to other routes in April, as it now shows on YYC-YVR & YYC-PSP (its first international commercial flight in over 2 years). From May 1st, the MAX is also currently scheduled to operate YYC-PVR & YYZ-CUN.

Dominion301

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:25 pm

IceCream wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
To contrast the LHR report, here are the others released by ACL:

DXB - WS previously obtained 14x weekly slots for S21, but they've been returned. Maybe they'll try again in the winter.

LGW - Up to 4x daily slots maintained with service listed to YYZ/YYC/YVR and YHZ. YYZ shows schedules in mid-May, the rest from June.
https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploa ... rt-S21.pdf

DUB - Its odd, shows up to 4x weekly but also says YYC/YHZ service cancelled? Destination is listed as ZZJ.
https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploa ... rt-S21.pdf

Does anyone know if the EU airports publish similar slot reports?

That's very interesting. Does anyone have any thoughts about possible new routes that they'd think WS would try out?

Well pre-pandemic they had been awarded 3 new weekly LGW slots to launch YOW-LGW with the 7M8 in summer 2020. The only problem was the MAX was still grounded, and then that little COVID thing got in the way.

IceCream

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:04 pm

^ Good point. I totally forgot about that!

cirrusdragoon

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:36 pm

Very good to see them with this initiative, kudos to both Westjet and Air Canada with aiding this cause. https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/w ... 36468.html

tacobell101

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:35 am

Looks YYJ is getting more routes from the Westjet group. Swoop now adding YYZ and YEG twice a week to YYJ https://www.flyswoop.com/where-we-fly/ . Wonder if YEG and YYZ will stick to swoop?

9252fly

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:58 am

AC has been very quiet with all the recent WS route adds and announcements.

IceCream

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:39 pm

^ They have been, but they're probably going to be fine in the end. WS seems to be trying to stimulate domestic travel this summer and to be fair, the routes are all low frequency and all add up to maybe 3-4 total flights added per day. Does anyone here ever see Swoop coming to YYC?

hollywoodcory

Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:30 pm

IceCream wrote:
Does anyone here ever see Swoop coming to YYC?

It's doubtful. But I guess never say never, as I didn't think they'd go to YYZ either?

On another note, I think WS is the only North American airline left that hasn't modified its summer international schedule yet. Both AC / TS have loaded hefty cuts already for the entire summer season, but WS is still showing pre-COVID frequencies from June onwards. So far only two routes have been given the chop: YYC-BOS & YHZ-GLA. Are they still going to continue with month-to-month changes?

They even still have many Transborder routes like LAS, LAX, ATL, MCO, TPA, etc still fully loaded from May 5th onwards.

777luver

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:36 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
IceCream wrote:

It's doubtful. But I guess never say never, as I didn't think they'd go to YYZ either?

On another note, I think WS is the only North American airline left that hasn't modified its summer international schedule yet. Both AC / TS have loaded hefty cuts already for the entire summer season, but WS is still showing pre-COVID frequencies from June onwards. So far only two routes have been given the chop: YYC-BOS & YHZ-GLA. Are they still going to continue with month-to-month changes?

They even still have many Transborder routes like LAS, LAX, ATL, MCO, TPA, etc still fully loaded from May 5th onwards.

I was under the impression that most airlines are only updating their schedules 1 month out as of right now

hollywoodcory

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:46 pm

777luver wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
IceCream wrote:

I was under the impression that most airlines are only updating their schedules 1 month out as of right now

Yes and no.

Air Canada/Air Transat has modified its international/Transborder schedule for the entire summer schedule. AC has also updated their domestic schedule through June as well.
All of the US carriers have already modified until early June, all of which have also done full summer revisions. UA for example has already reduced back its Transborder network right through the Summer.

Well all of them certainly do month to month revisions, WS appears to be the only one that hasn't really done a full sweep of its summer international schedule yet, with the exception of the 2 routes I mentioned being removed. They still have 4 daily flights to LGW from June 5, 2 daily to CDG as well as up to 3x daily YYC-LAS scheduled from May 5.

cirrusdragoon

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:07 am

Very sad. Another 415 pilots laid off as the coronavirus crisis continues tearing through the country’s aviation sector.

The layoffs, which the Calgary-based airline announced in March, became effective on 1 April.

Pilot union Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA) blasted the Canadian government for its ongoing inaction on sector-specific financial support, which it says led to these layoffs, and which continues to create uncertainty for Canada’s airlines.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/w ... 65.article

hollywoodcory

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:38 am

Today's WS1402 YYC-PHX appears to be the first commercial international MAX flight since the ungrounding. It's also scheduled to fly to PSP for the rest of the month.

Also next Saturday (April 10) YYC-OGG appears to have been re-upped to a 789?

hollywoodcory

Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:27 pm

CDG S21 SOS Report shows WestJet only has 92 slots, which is on par with the limited ops they flew last year.
https://www.cohor.org/wp-content/upload ... bCohor.pdf

Whiteguy

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:31 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
Looks like they're starting to expand the MAX out to other routes in April, as it now shows on YYC-YVR & YYC-PSP (its first international commercial flight in over 2 years). From May 1st, the MAX is also currently scheduled to operate YYC-PVR & YYZ-CUN.

The MAX is doing a lot more flying in May so far on various routes. Doesn’t look like any southern destinations added for May. The 787s continue with domestic turns and LGW cargo twice a week, plus LGW pax flights twice a week starting on the 20th. The LHR slots will not be used, but another European destination might be.

hollywoodcory

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:22 am

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

The MAX is doing a lot more flying in May so far on various routes. Doesn’t look like any southern destinations added for May. The 787s continue with domestic turns and LGW cargo twice a week, plus LGW pax flights twice a week starting on the 20th. The LHR slots will not be used, but another European destination might be.

Thanks. I saw they sent the MAX to YYJ, YOW and YHZ recently as well. Great to see them back in the air.

Interesting on the Mexico routes, as PVR-YYC appears to have strong bookings (northbound at least). I'm assuming the hotel jail rule is getting extended. Are they still keeping OGG around too?

I noticed a few days ago the Heathrow website removed the WS schedules in May, but it still shows from June 1. The only other Europe destination I see coming back is CDG.

IceCream

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:33 am

I'm going to assume that WS won't be flying to LHR in S21. I hope international restrictions loosen up so that the following summer isn't a write-off either.

Whiteguy

Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:04 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Thanks. I saw they sent the MAX to YYJ, YOW and YHZ recently as well. Great to see them back in the air.

Interesting on the Mexico routes, as PVR-YYC appears to have strong bookings (northbound at least). I'm assuming the hotel jail rule is getting extended. Are they still keeping OGG around too?

I noticed a few days ago the Heathrow website removed the WS schedules in May, but it still shows from June 1. The only other Europe destination I see coming back is CDG.

OGG has one flight in early May, normal to be done at the end of season. LHR slots are only temporary with no guarantee of keeping them.

cirrusdragoon

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:14 am

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Perhaps they will enter Germany or The Netherlands. Would be nice to finally see them tie into AMS , and begin codesharing with KLM to other points onward from there.

hollywoodcory

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:05 am

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

OGG has one flight in early May, normal to be done at the end of season. LHR slots are only temporary with no guarantee of keeping them.

Don't they usually fly year-round to OGG from YVR? I know the YYC-Hawaii flights are always seasonal. They could probably have access to ad-hoc slots for W21 but next summer, I imagine most carriers will want their slots back though I agree that LHR probably won't happen.

Whiteguy

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:40 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Don't they usually fly year-round to OGG from YVR? I know the YYC-Hawaii flights are always seasonal. They could probably have access to ad-hoc slots for W21 but next summer, I imagine most carriers will want their slots back though I agree that LHR probably won't happen.

Sorry, you are correct. I was only looking at the YYC flights for May. There are no OGG flights from YVR.

MEA-707

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:55 am

What is the mid term plan for Encore? The Q400 production line is closing soon, probably they don't do a last minute top up order. That means they have to look at other types to expand or eventually replace their fleet, has the A220 been an option?
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Whiteguy

Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:44 pm

MEA-707 wrote:
What is the mid term plan for Encore? The Q400 production line is closing soon, probably they don't do a last minute top up order. That means they have to look at other types to expand or eventually replace their fleet, has the A220 been an option?

Not likely, the A220 would be limited by scope. The A220-300 would be a good replacement for the 600s and older 700s at mainline.

hollywoodcory

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:15 am

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

Sorry, you are correct. I was only looking at the YYC flights for May. There are no OGG flights from YVR.

I imagine the Hawaii flights won't be back until the border restrictions get lifted (which I'm still hoping is this summer). Are they still moving month to month for now? A few other airlines have started doing 2-3 months out now. AC has even done a full summer update too.

777luver

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:05 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

I imagine the Hawaii flights won't be back until the border restrictions get lifted (which I'm still hoping is this summer). Are they still moving month to month for now? A few other airlines have started doing 2-3 months out now. AC has even done a full summer update too.

Whats the summer update looking like? Is there some way to see the updates without having to search for flights individually?

hollywoodcory

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:59 am

777luver wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

Whats the summer update looking like? Is there some way to see the updates without having to search for flights individually?

Looks like they’ve only updated to June 4. Everything after that is still pre-COVID.

ac190

Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:50 am

MEA-707 wrote:

In the recently ratified Mainline F/A contract there is language about Jets being transferred and/or operated by Encore. They were told it won't happen... But Westjet ELT is a we'll never do this but we actually will type a gang so I wouldn't be surprised.

Whiteguy

Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:11 am

ac190 wrote:
MEA-707 wrote:

In the recently ratified Mainline F/A contract there is language about Jets being transferred and/or operated by Encore. They were told it won't happen... But Westjet ELT is a we'll never do this but we actually will type a gang so I wouldn't be surprised.

There is language, in the pilot contract, that Encore can operate jets but they are limited to 76 seats.
Last edited by Whiteguy on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whiteguy

Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:13 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

That would be my guess for Hawaii as well. I think the bulk of the schedule is month to month, maybe an update this weekend, but there are some routes removed for the summer or updated.

346fetish

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:39 pm

9252fly wrote:
AC has been very quiet with all the recent WS route adds and announcements.

AC just loaded YYZYMM and YOWYYJ to counter WS' recent announcement.
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."

cirrusdragoon

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:13 am

Westjet issues the following statement regarding industry aid progress. In an emailed statement, " it would provide updates on its discussions with the federal government “at the appropriate time.”

“The WestJet Group of Companies continues discussions with the Government of Canada on a safe travel-restart framework. We remain focused on a long-term solution that will serve the best interests of Canadians,” it stated.

“A healthy WestJet will help lead a stronger recovery, increasing competition and consumer choice while lowering the cost of travel for Canadians, all while anchoring Canada’s vital air travel and tourism sectors.”

The airline said it remained committed “to building back even stronger for the betterment of all Canadians.”

“Since October 2020, WestJet’s refund policy has been industry-leading in Canada, and consistent with the U.S., U.K. and E.U.,” it said in a statement.

“The WestJet Group continues to operate self-sufficiently with the exception of the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS), which flows through directly to our employees. We have already communicated we will restore service to all 42 airports that we served pre-COVID and did so at our earliest opportunity.”

https://calgaryherald.com/business/air- ... ith-ottawa

hollywoodcory

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:48 pm

So WS updated their scheduled for May in the OAG, and loaded changes in the booking system but it still looks like they have flights to Mexico / Jamaica open for booking from May 1? All of the flights to CUN / PVR / SJD and MBJ are not showing in OAG schedules, so I expect some last minute changes.

Inbound PVR-YYC and MBJ-YYZ have pretty good bookings, so maybe their operating a few to bring people back?

The bulk of the Transborder / International schedule May 5-June 4 is:
YYC-PHX 2-3x weekly
YYC-PSP 1-2x weekly
YYZ-RSW 1x weekly
YYZ-LGW 2x weekly (from May 21)

hollywoodcory

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:51 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
So WS updated their scheduled for May in the OAG, and loaded changes in the booking system but it still looks like they have flights to Mexico / Jamaica open for booking from May 1? All of the flights to CUN / PVR / SJD and MBJ are not showing in OAG schedules, so I expect some last minute changes.

Inbound PVR-YYC and MBJ-YYZ have pretty good bookings, so maybe their operating a few to bring people back?

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2021 ... 3A20210413
WS answering my question. Was weird the flights weren't removed until today.

wjv04

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:49 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Not really weird... Like most airlines, they intend to operate what's published. If demand is there, great.. If its not, they are likely to be cancelled at certain threshold dates.

April hasn't been playing out so well with COVID in Canada. Obviously their internal government relations is signaling that the May 1 restarts wont be approved when the time comes.

hollywoodcory

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:20 am

wjv04 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Not really weird... Like most airlines, they intend to operate what's published. If demand is there, great.. If its not, they are likely to be cancelled at certain threshold dates.

April hasn't been playing out so well with COVID in Canada. Obviously their internal government relations is signaling that the May 1 restarts wont be approved when the time comes.

What I meant by weird was the booking system still had the flights bookable, but the schedules were removed in the OAG, and their timetables updated over the weekend. On Saturday night all other changes were loaded except for the Sun destinations, seemed odd to wait 3 additional days to remove just these flights.

hollywoodcory

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:55 am

Looks like they've taken that hammer to the Summer schedule. In this week's OAG update, they've removed a bunch of routes.

This is what I've noticed so far:
YYC-AUS
YYZ-BCN
YHZ-CDG
YHZ-DUB

The following has been removed until July 5 now:
YYC-CDG
YYC-DUB
YYC-FCO
YVR-LGW
YHZ-LGW

Was surprised to see SFO survive in June (for now), but ATL did not.

777luver

Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:39 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Looks like they've taken that hammer to the Summer schedule. In this week's OAG update, they've removed a bunch of routes.

YYC-AUS
YYZ-BCN
YHZ-CDG
YHZ-DUB

YYC-CDG
YYC-DUB
YYC-FCO
YVR-LGW
YHZ-LGW

What does OAG stand for? Not surprising about the cuts unfortunately

VirginFlyer

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:35 pm

777luver wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

YYC-AUS
YYZ-BCN
YHZ-CDG
YHZ-DUB

YYC-CDG
YYC-DUB
YYC-FCO
YVR-LGW
YHZ-LGW

Official Aviation Guide: https://www.oag.com/understanding-oag

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

aviator2000

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:13 pm

Sad to see BCN go, looks like we are going to have to wait for another year to see WestJet's B789s around here.

777luver

Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:39 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
777luver wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

YYC-AUS
YYZ-BCN
YHZ-CDG
YHZ-DUB

YYC-CDG
YYC-DUB
YYC-FCO
YVR-LGW
YHZ-LGW

Official Aviation Guide: https://www.oag.com/understanding-oag

V/F

Thanks!

hollywoodcory

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:42 am

Full list of routes removed in S21 so far.

YYC-AUS
YYC-BOS
YYZ-BCN
YYZ-TPA
YYZ-CCC
YYZ-GCM
YYZ-AUA
YYZ-SXM
YYZ-SJO
YYZ-BDA
YYZ-ANU
YYZ-UVF
YHZ-GLA
YHZ-CDG
YHZ-DUB

They also purged a lot of routes from the June schedule as well. The following destinations are still scheduled in June that they don't currently operate:
CUN, PVR, SJD, MBJ, KIN, POS, LAX, LAS, SFO, LGA, MCO, LGW (from YYC). I can see a few of these being kept from mid to late June but most will end up getting dropped.

hollywoodcory

Mon May 03, 2021 8:54 pm

https://twitter.com/BoeingSCSpotter/sta ... 1022320642

Tail 908 lives! WestJet's 7th 787-9 makes it first appearance. I'm going to guess a June delivery? 909 shouldn't be far behind as its LN1116 (908 was 1106).

YQBexYHZBGM

Mon May 03, 2021 10:26 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Full list of routes removed in S21 so far.
YYZ-TPA

This is the only one that kind of surprises me. Even though non-essential transborder travel is still restricted (or, at least, strongly discouraged and disincentivized), some linkages between Canadian and US airports are still necessary. YYZ-TPA seems like it should fall in that category.

Whiteguy

Mon May 03, 2021 11:21 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
https://twitter.com/BoeingSCSpotter/status/1387219481022320642

Tail 908 lives! WestJet's 7th 787-9 makes it first appearance. I'm going to guess a June delivery? 909 shouldn't be far behind as its LN1116 (908 was 1106).

I’d be surprised if it’s delivered anytime soon.....probably head for storage for a bit.

hollywoodcory

Tue May 04, 2021 3:06 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

I’d be surprised if it’s delivered anytime soon.....probably head for storage for a bit.

Yeah I can't imagine their in a hurry to get these frames. Do you still think they'll take delivery off all 4 by the end of the year?

Whiteguy

Tue May 04, 2021 4:54 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Yeah I can't imagine their in a hurry to get these frames. Do you still think they'll take delivery off all 4 by the end of the year?

I believe the plan is to take them all by the end of the year but later in the year.

hollywoodcory

Thu May 06, 2021 7:48 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

I believe the plan is to take them all by the end of the year but later in the year.

Ah okay. I wonder if they'll use them on Mexico (& maybe Jamaica) routes this winter along with OGG.

I doubt they will see much outside of YYC/YVR-YYZ & LGW runs this summer (with a outside chance of CDG).

Whiteguy

Thu May 06, 2021 11:32 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Ah okay. I wonder if they'll use them on Mexico (& maybe Jamaica) routes this winter along with OGG.

I doubt they will see much outside of YYC/YVR-YYZ & LGW runs this summer (with a outside chance of CDG).

They may only be on the OGG route due to COVID I’m guessing, otherwise you’ll see the MAX operating these routes. They ended up on that route only because of the grounding so it’s not permanent.

hollywoodcory

Sat May 08, 2021 5:01 am

In this week's update, a partial June update was filed. They've removed all international/US destinations except for:

LGW
CUN
PVR
MBJ
PHX
PSP
RSW

I'm guessing that YYC-LGW surviving is a hint that the route is resuming in June? There were no frequency changes made outside of the Sun destinations so I expect the full schedule update to come next week.

Additionally, it looks like YYC-FCO has now been axed for the whole Summer now. YYC-CDG/DUB have been removed until August now.

Whiteguy

Sat May 08, 2021 5:22 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
In this week's update, a partial June update was filed. They've removed all international/US destinations except for:

LGW
CUN
PVR
MBJ
PHX
PSP
RSW

I'm guessing that YYC-LGW surviving is a hint that the route is resuming in June? There were no frequency changes made outside of the Sun destinations so I expect the full schedule update to come next week.

Additionally, it looks like YYC-FCO has now been axed for the whole Summer now. YYC-CDG/DUB have been removed until August now.

Only YYZ-LGW for June, both cargo and pax flights. The 787 returns to the YYZ-YVR route at the end of June as well.

YYC-PVR is once a week with a MAX and YYZ-CUN once a week on an NG. Lots of MAX flying to various destinations in June as well.

hollywoodcory

Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

LGW
CUN
PVR
MBJ
PHX
PSP
RSW

Only YYZ-LGW for June, both cargo and pax flights. The 787 returns to the YYZ-YVR route at the end of June as well.

YYC-PVR is once a week with a MAX and YYZ-CUN once a week on an NG. Lots of MAX flying to various destinations in June as well.

Thanks, I'm assuming the US routes are basically as they are now?

Seems odd they would still be selling YYC-LGW is they know it isn't going to fly. They had removed it from the May schedule before the full update went out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos