Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hollywoodcory

Re: The WestJet Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:46 pm

WS appears to have sold out/zeroed out most YYC-CDG flights in August, leaving just 3 flights in either direction open for booking departing on Fridays and returning on Sundays starting on August 20th.

Whiteguy

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:42 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
WS appears to have sold out/zeroed out most YYC-CDG flights in August, leaving just 3 flights in either direction open for booking departing on Fridays and returning on Sundays starting on August 20th.

Good news. France has just added Canada to their green list of countries. Hopefully Canada will smarten up and border restrictions will be eased.

777luver

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:45 pm

US border restrictions to remain in place until Jul 21st 2021.....there goes the summer.....again

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5476103

hollywoodcory

Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:40 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Good news. France has just added Canada to their green list of countries. Hopefully Canada will smarten up and border restrictions will be eased.

Here's hoping things change. I saw WS was hiring CSA's at YYC, must be starting to improve.

In the update over the weekend, they kept CDG scheduled daily from August 5 but only 3 dates are actually open to booking.

ThePointblank

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:31 pm

WestJet is getting into the dedicated freighter market, with a number of Boeing 737-800BCF's:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/cargo/exp ... 3A20210623

https://skiesmag.com/news/westjet-cargo ... reighters/

First of the new 737 freighters will be on property in second quarter of 2022. No word on the feedstock for the conversion, but I would assume that they would be aircraft that they already own, where they are being converted, and how many aircraft in total they are converting.

777luver

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:32 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
WestJet is getting into the dedicated freighter market, with a number of Boeing 737-800BCF's:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/cargo/exp ... 3A20210623

https://skiesmag.com/news/westjet-cargo ... reighters/

First of the new 737 freighters will be on property in second quarter of 2022. No word on the feedstock for the conversion, but I would assume that they would be aircraft that they already own, where they are being converted, and how many aircraft in total they are converting.

Already has its own thread

Aresxerexade

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:04 pm

I wonder which gates they will be using for AMS?

cirrusdragoon

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm

Westjet’s new advert , quite nice , illustrating hope.

https://youtu.be/gfyv2MMyr48

tofur

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:40 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
Westjet’s new advert , quite nice , illustrating hope.

https://youtu.be/gfyv2MMyr48

Yes, absolutely beautifully presented and very tasteful! Extremely impressed! Nice job WestJet!

hollywoodcory

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:45 pm

Surprise of the day, WS still going to launch YYC-YYG this summer. Was suppose to start in June 2020. I believe this just leaves YQB and Dawson Creek as the only domestic destinations either announced or served pre-COVID to reconnect from YYC?

https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2021-06-2 ... rta-routes

YYC will have non-stop access by the end of July to 3 cities in Atlantic Canada (YHZ, YYT and now YYG).

shoelessjoe

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:06 pm

YQG resumes tomorrow (26 June 2021), first flight since the seasonal suspension in Fall 2019.

hollywoodcory

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:19 am

In this weeks update, YYC-CDG in August is down to just 2 flights. Looks like its currently planned once weekly starting August 20th. Outbound Fridays, and inbound Sundays.

They also removed YVR-LGW in August, and reduced YYC-LGW down to about 2x weekly.

YYC-Europe in August is about 5x weekly currently (2x LGW / 2x AMS & 1x CDG).

Dominion301

Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:05 pm

Today WS launch weekly seasonal YYJ-YOW. It’s the first ever nonstop between the BC and National capital.

hollywoodcory

Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:37 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
They also removed YVR-LGW in August, and reduced YYC-LGW down to about 2x weekly.

Just kidding, YVR-LGW is still there but only once weekly on Saturdays. Wow, WS could potential have its largest TATL schedule since 2019 in August!

YYC-LGW 2x weekly
YYC-AMS 2x weekly
YYC-CDG 1x weekly
YYZ-LGW Up to 4x weekly
YVR-LGW 1x weekly

cirrusdragoon

Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:50 pm

Westjet announces new Chief Operating Officer Diederik Pen . Diederik Pen, will join the airline's executive leadership team in the early fall, following the completion of the immigration process. Mr. Pen has more than 25 years of aviation-industry experience in the Asia-Pacific and European regions, and joins WestJet most recently from Wizz Air, where he was chief operations officer.

"Diederik has an established track record of leading safe, efficient and cost-effective operations through periods of growth, and we are thrilled to welcome him to the WestJet family," said Ed Sims, WestJet President and CEO. "Diederik's breadth of experience spans line management, commercial, operational and leadership roles in airports, for flag carriers and low-cost airlines, and we look forward to his expertise as we enter recovery and build for the future."

https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/ ... -health-an

ac190

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:18 pm

Wonder who they will hire who will fix the rock bottom moral that is plaquing every employee group.

But, I'm sure the pilots will be happy they hired another foreigner who comes in with the mindset that YYC is the only place that matters in Canada (Sarcasm). He'd fit right in with Ed Simms, Mark Porter, Charles Duncan, etc.

777luver

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:24 pm

ac190 wrote:
Wonder who they will hire who will fix the rock bottom moral that is plaquing every employee group.

But, I'm sure the pilots will be happy they hired another foreigner who comes in with the mindset that YYC is the only place that matters in Canada (Sarcasm). He'd fit right in with Ed Simms, Mark Porter, Charles Duncan, etc.

Westjet has low moral issues??? NO way, not Westjet it's Canada's darling and is in every way superior to it's biggest rival. It beats everyone else in employee engagement and surveys. Sarcasm aside I wonder what this guy will do for Wesjet

Aresxerexade

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Well considering they kept their furloughed cabin crews on the CEWS, their cabin crews for one may be more favourable towards their management.

ac190

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:32 pm

777luver wrote:
ac190 wrote:

Westjet has low moral issues??? NO way, not Westjet it's Canada's darling and is in every way superior to it's biggest rival. It beats everyone else in employee engagement and surveys. Sarcasm aside I wonder what this guy will do for Wesjet

I know... It's hard to believe that Owne....rs...Ca...re...(ugh I can't say it anymore) don't care.

Aresxerexade wrote:
Well considering they kept their furloughed cabin crews on the CEWS, their cabin crews for one may be more favourable towards their management.

You'd think. But I'd say the trash on a paper... sorry... *Contract* that got shoved down their throats overrides that feeling. The best part is YYC F/A's/Pilots are starting to see the Teal koolaid is no longer the best tasting drink around.

holczakker

Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:32 pm

ac190 wrote:

He is coming from an airline with rock bottom morale as well because of him to a great extent. Just check the manner how 20% of the employees were fired at Wizz last year (with the help of a canadian btw). Wouldn't be surprised if the said canadian figure would follow him back home. Obviously they tried to blame the chief pilot for the whole business when the story made the news but he was either in the know or he is the worst COO (and leadership team) of this planet for not knowing anything. Take a guess. Big words, no clue, huge bonuses pulled for being an exemplary yes-man. He's playing the kind-hearted, smiling uncle while the dirty job is being done by his minions.

ac190

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:04 pm

holczakker wrote:
ac190 wrote:

He is coming from an airline with rock bottom morale as well because of him to a great extent. Just check the manner how 20% of the employees were fired at Wizz last year (with the help of a canadian btw). Wouldn't be surprised if the said canadian figure would follow him back home. Obviously they tried to blame the chief pilot for the whole business when the story made the news but he was either in the know or he is the worst COO (and leadership team) of this planet for not knowing anything. Take a guess. Big words, no clue, huge bonuses pulled for being an exemplary yes-man. He's playing the kind-hearted, smiling uncle while the dirty job is being done by his minions.

Sounds like he should fit right in at Westjet.

I'd say Jeff Martin, who recently jumped ship because he could tell it was sinking was the only one with a tiny bit of integrity. The rest of the them send emails internally and the odd out to left field employee is the only one that could believe what they say. The rest just hit delete before the third word.

Aresxerexade

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:22 pm

holczakker wrote:
ac190 wrote:

Well everyone deserves a second chance. People do not always repeat past mistakes.

YQBexYHZBGM

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:31 am

holczakker wrote:
ac190 wrote:

It's an unfortunate development for the employees and the quality of the operation, but under the circumstances I'm just not capable of sympathy. A number of their work groups turned down union certification in late 2019 and early 2020, only to be outsourced to ground handling companies almost immediately thereafter. How did they not see that coming? The airline is now owned by a corporate raider whose mantra is relentless cost cutting. Try as they might to think they're emulating WN, WS is decidedly not WN. In my opinion, their employees who turned down union representation made a big mistake.

ac190

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:11 am

YQBexYHZBGM wrote:
holczakker wrote:
ac190 wrote:

It's an unfortunate development for the employees and the quality of the operation, but under the circumstances I'm just not capable of sympathy. A number of their work groups turned down union certification in late 2019 and early 2020, only to be outsourced to ground handling companies almost immediately thereafter. How did they not see that coming? The airline is now owned by a corporate raider whose mantra is relentless cost cutting. Try as they might to think they're emulating WN, WS is decidedly not WN. In my opinion, their employees who turned down union representation made a big mistake.

I don't think anyone is looking for sympathy. Westjet employees knew the old Westjet - fun, caring, different, etc - was done long before COVID. I think the general consensus was 2013'ish. The only group who turned down union certification was Airports. Simply because majority didn't believe the fact Westjet was changing and would do something like contract them out. I thought YYC pilots were the ones drowning in the koolaid... then I met airport agents. My god, if you told them the largest airline in Canada was Westjet they'd believe you.

The pilots saw it coming and so did the FA's. Even though they have ALPA and CUPE things are not as chippy for them either. Westjet pilots have given up a lot for COVID with these MOA's and stuff. I'd say one of the dumbest things from Westjet Management hits the pilots the most. Instead of working with them on how to reduce costs during COVID - They came up with the idea to drop them to Encore based on seniority. So, that's what they did, but a few days later they have to recall all the encore guys because no body clued in you have to give them line checks. Also, those senior 737 guys that dropped to Encore? After a month of paying for training, meals and accommodations during out of base training they will be flying the Q for a month then back to training for the 737. Nickle and dime westjet, but that's pretty stupid.

A union definitely would've helped Airports, but I doubt as much as you may think. Tier 3 (YQY,YQX,YDF,YQM,YYG, etc) would've been contracted regardless which in my opinion makes sense with so few flights. I've been seeing the performance of these contract airports and it's absolutely abysmal, but, Westjet get's what they pay for so hope ONEX thinks its worth it.

Whiteguy

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:26 am

ac190 wrote:
YQBexYHZBGM wrote:
holczakker wrote:

I don't think anyone is looking for sympathy. Westjet employees knew the old Westjet - fun, caring, different, etc - was done long before COVID. I think the general consensus was 2013'ish. The only group who turned down union certification was Airports. Simply because majority didn't believe the fact Westjet was changing and would do something like contract them out. I thought YYC pilots were the ones drowning in the koolaid... then I met airport agents. My god, if you told them the largest airline in Canada was Westjet they'd believe you.

The pilots saw it coming and so did the FA's. Even though they have ALPA and CUPE things are not as chippy for them either. Westjet pilots have given up a lot for COVID with these MOA's and stuff. I'd say one of the dumbest things from Westjet Management hits the pilots the most. Instead of working with them on how to reduce costs during COVID - They came up with the idea to drop them to Encore based on seniority. So, that's what they did, but a few days later they have to recall all the encore guys because no body clued in you have to give them line checks. Also, those senior 737 guys that dropped to Encore? After a month of paying for training, meals and accommodations during out of base training they will be flying the Q for a month then back to training for the 737. Nickle and dime westjet, but that's pretty stupid.

A union definitely would've helped Airports, but I doubt as much as you may think. Tier 3 (YQY,YQX,YDF,YQM,YYG, etc) would've been contracted regardless which in my opinion makes sense with so few flights. I've been seeing the performance of these contract airports and it's absolutely abysmal, but, Westjet get's what they pay for so hope ONEX thinks its worth it.

Actually your Encore training comment is incorrect, the majority of 737 drivers that bumped down have not been trained and never will be. Many will be back to mainline on the latest bid and have never cracked a book on the Q.

cirrusdragoon

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:44 pm

ac190 wrote:
777luver wrote:
ac190 wrote:

You'd think. But I'd say the trash on a paper... sorry... *Contract* that got shoved down their throats overrides that feeling.

This was their very first collectively bargained agreement which was partially negotiated during covid’s devastation. Nothing was shoved down anyones throat. An overwhelming majority percentage of the cabin crew group voted to ratify the tentative agreement. No-one is going to get everything they dream of in their initial collective agreement , especially during a pandemic.

And yes , the cabin crew are quite content they were not permanently laid off , taken off CEWS and told to fend for themselves while on furlough.

ac190

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:49 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
ac190 wrote:
YQBexYHZBGM wrote:

Actually your Encore training comment is incorrect, the majority of 737 drivers that bumped down have not been trained and never will be. Many will be back to mainline on the latest bid and have never cracked a book on the Q.

Don't know where you're getting that but everyone who fit the criteria to go down to the Q is or was flying the Q. There's a few guys that realized an LOA is the best choice instead of getting screwed by the company but yes, a lot of 737 pilots went to the Q. I guess that’s the benefits of working in flight operations… you kinda get to know things. Actually was talking to a guy who was doing his first Q pairing on Monday with a line indoc captain. Guess what, he goes back to the 737 next month.

cirrusdragoon wrote:
ac190 wrote:
777luver wrote:

This was their very first collectively bargained agreement which was partially negotiated during covid’s devastation. Nothing was shoved down anyones throat. An overwhelming majority percentage of the cabin crew group voted to ratify the tentative agreement. No-one is going to get everything they dream of in their initial collective agreement , especially during a pandemic.

And yes , the cabin crew are quite content they were not permanently laid off , taken off CEWS and told to fend for themselves while on furlough.

So like... of the 70% of flight attendants that actually did vote, 67% approval rating of a contract is the overwhelming majority? That contract was trash and any non braindead YYC flight crew knows it.

Whiteguy

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:13 pm

ac190 wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
ac190 wrote:

Don't know where you're getting that but everyone who fit the criteria to go down to the Q is or was flying the Q. There's a few guys that realized an LOA is the best choice instead of getting screwed by the company but yes, a lot of 737 pilots went to the Q. Actually was talking to a guy who was doing his first Q pairing on Monday with a line indoc captain. Guess what, he goes back to the 737 next month.

cirrusdragoon wrote:
ac190 wrote:

So like... of the 60-70% of those that voted like 67% approval rating of a contract is the overwhelming majority?

Not sure where you get your info either, maybe from talking to 1 person……there are many that bumped down to Encore April 1st and not been trained. On the latest bid there are still many that are not returning to Swoop or mainline and won’t be trained at Encore.

cirrusdragoon

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:20 pm

I wonder when WS and DL might try again to apply for a JV? Thoughts?

IceCream

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:21 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:

I'm no expert but I would think at least a few years. WS isn't very aggressive in expansion anyways so the current codeshares are enough for now. I doubt WS would benefit that much from a JV, or would they?

cirrusdragoon

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:37 pm

IceCream wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

I'm no expert but I would think at least a few years. WS isn't very aggressive in expansion anyways so the current codeshares are enough for now. I doubt WS would benefit that much from a JV, or would they?

How about the trans border benefits with having a strong partner like Delta to give WS more reach / more influence into markets? Of course there is also the financial benefits of jointly operating a route where both carriers share the cost/losses. Yeah I think there is still benefit there for WS. Let’s see what happens in a few years. :)

IceCream

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:54 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
IceCream wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

How about the trans border benefits with having a strong partner like Delta to give WS more reach / more influence into markets? Of course there is also the financial benefits of jointly operating a route where both carriers share the cost/losses. Yeah I think there is still benefit there for WS. Let’s see what happens in a few years. :)

Those are some pretty good points. Hopefully they do look at it again after COVID subsides internationally. It would also help out a lot of frequent flyers.

ElPistolero

Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:58 pm

ac190 wrote:

Sorry, got to ask… why does it matter that he’s a “foreigner”?

Last I checked, Canada has quite a few immigrants who have to wait a few years till they acquire citizenship …

What’s are you trying to imply anyway? That WS pilots are a bunch of xenophobes with a fear of Johnny “Foreigner”?

ElPistolero

Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:32 am

ac190 wrote:

A common joke among pilots is how Westjet management is full of foreigners with the idea YYC is the center of Canada and going East of YYZ means trouble. Who knows, maybe this guy has heard of Quebec.

A common joke among which pilots? AC pilots? WS pilots? Canadian pilots writ large?

Besides, why does “foreigner” status matter here? Some kind of attempt at painting WS as a foreign airline / “not Canadian-enough” airline?

Not a WS fan, but if depicting non-Canadian airline executives as ignorant/ill informed/unintelligent simply because they’re not Canadian passes for humour, there might be a broader work culture issue to address.

Wonder what foreign-born Canadian pilots - especially the ones who look and/or sound different - make of these “jokes” about ignorant “foreigners”.

Whiteguy

Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:22 am

ac190 wrote:
[

Never denied that people avoided training on the Q. Some lucked out, some took an LOA but a lot had to take Encore or swoop just to avoid being canned.

Your quote….

“Don't know where you're getting that but everyone who fit the criteria to go down to the Q is or was flying the Q.”

I would suggest you quit commenting on stuff you really don’t know about…..good luck at your next job!

hollywoodcory

Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:30 am

Looking at the updated August schedule looks like YYC-LAS is planned at 10x weekly while YYC-LAX/ATL are upped to 1x daily. PHX up to 5x weekly with 2 flights on Sundays.

It appears AMS, CDG, HNL, and BNA are the latest destinations added/resuming.

A nice surprise is YVR-LGW.

cirrusdragoon

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:01 am

Thank you Cory for the updates!

hollywoodcory

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:31 am

Thanks guys. Schedule should now be active in the booking system.

I missed YYZ-NAS, as it appears to be back 2x weekly as well.

Looks like most sun routes also got an increase including YYC-CUN/PVR and YYZ-CUN/MBJ.
YVR-OGG goes up to 3x weekly by the end of August.

PHX also goes daily from the middle of the month as well.

The schedule got updated to September 7th instead of the usual 4th of the month they've been doing. This looks to be the most flights they've had (both domestic + international) since pre-COVID.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:53 am

Could we please just discuss the topic and leave the personal comments and flamebait out of the discussion. Also if you are making factual statements please be prepared to back them up with a source

hollywoodcory

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:29 pm

Damn, I still missed more as PUJ and FLL are also back. I'm off my game this month haha.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/i ... l-schedule

Anyways here's a list of planned routes by hub for August 5-September 7th:

From Calgary (YYC):
LGW / CDG / AMS / CUN / PVR / LAX / LAS / PHX / SFO / PSP / ATL
From Toronto (YYZ):
LGW / CUN / MBJ / KIN / NAS / PUJ / MCO / FLL / BNA / LAS
From Vancouver (YVR):
LGW / LAX / SFO / LAS / HNL / OGG

Overall LAS is the busiest destination with up to 19x weekly flights from all three hubs.

Here is a link to the updated domestic schedule through September 7:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/domestic-schedule

IceCream

Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:16 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
Damn, I still missed more as PUJ and FLL are also back. I'm off my game this month haha.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/i ... l-schedule

Anyways here's a list of planned routes by hub for August 5-September 7th:

From Calgary (YYC):
LGW / CDG / AMS / CUN / PVR / LAX / LAS / PHX / SFO / PSP / ATL
From Toronto (YYZ):
LGW / CUN / MBJ / KIN / NAS / PUJ / MCO / FLL / BNA / LAS
From Vancouver (YVR):
LGW / LAX / SFO / LAS / HNL / OGG

Overall LAS is the busiest destination with up to 19x weekly flights from all three hubs.

Here is a link to the updated domestic schedule through September 7:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/domestic-schedule

Wow! It's nice to see the additions. I really hope that the COVID rise in the UK doesn't cause LGW to be suspended and AMS axed...

hollywoodcory

Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:14 pm

Looks like the long-haul Europe schedule has been updated through the end of October. RIP YVR-LGW as it looks like it will be a short-lived resumption only in August, as it appears YYC-LGW goes 3x weekly in September.

YYC-CDG now shows 1x weekly through the end of October.
YYZ-LGW 4x weekly through October.

IceCream

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:25 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
Looks like the long-haul Europe schedule has been updated through the end of October. RIP YVR-LGW as it looks like it will be a short-lived resumption only in August, as it appears YYC-LGW goes 3x weekly in September.

I would love to see CDG year-round eventually, like winter 2022-2023. What do you think about the feasibility of that?

hollywoodcory

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:17 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/westje ... 50?cmp=rss

WS is no longer seeking financial aid from the feds.

IceCream wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

I would love to see CDG year-round eventually, like winter 2022-2023. What do you think about the feasibility of that?

I believe CDG is planned to go year-round at some point in the future and do see it happening at some point.

cirrusdragoon

Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:43 pm

WS and DL reveal they are in the process to re-submit a revised JV application to the DOJ. https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... pplication

Happy for them and hope the second time is the charm. Will be interesting to see the revision.

Aresxerexade

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:30 am

cirrusdragoon wrote:
WS and DL reveal they are in the process to re-submit a revised JV application to the DOJ. https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... pplication

Happy for them and hope the second time is the charm. Will be interesting to see the revision.

Yes , I will be following this. It will be interesting to see what the change in US administration does for this revised application. Eager to see the details.

IceCream

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:59 pm

Aresxerexade wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

Yes , I will be following this. It will be interesting to see what the change in US administration does for this revised application. Eager to see the details.

I'm pleasantly surprised that this isn't the end for the JV. To be fair it would be a little odd to completely shelve it after they talked about it for a couple of years. I really hope this one is approved.

cirrusdragoon

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:21 pm

From what I recall, they never truly binned the venture, just postponed reapplying. What they said was, “… the U.S. demands were “arbitrary and capricious….The airlines also added they remain “committed to developing a U.S. – Canada Joint Venture but in the meantime will explore deepening the alliance for the benefit of our mutual guests”

I just never thought it would be this soon , but considering how slow the DOT takes to analyze and process applications, it makes sense .

hollywoodcory

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:36 pm

Welcome back SFO! WS operated its first flight to the bay area since 2019. Planned 2x weekly for now, before increasing up to 4x weekly by late August and adding flights from YVR.

IceCream

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:29 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
From what I recall, they never truly binned the venture, just postponed reapplying. What they said was, “… the U.S. demands were “arbitrary and capricious….The airlines also added they remain “committed to developing a U.S. – Canada Joint Venture but in the meantime will explore deepening the alliance for the benefit of our mutual guests”

I just never thought it would be this soon , but considering how slow the DOT takes to analyze and process applications, it makes sense .

Yeah, I was a little bit surprised with how slow the DOT was for the original application. I'm sure there has to be some sort of valid argument to reapply. If they didn't think they have a good shot at getting the JV approved it would be odd to reapply so soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos