Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ANA787

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:47 pm

AC4500 wrote:
skyflyer777 wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
Not surprisingly, Condor appears to have removed Portland service for summer 2021. Perhaps we could see them back in 2022. Or even Lufthansa?

I just went to the Condor Website and randomly picked a date (June 25) and it shows flight DE2091 Non-Stop PDX-FRA available to book.

It's still currently set to start on May 21st at 2x weekly: https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... gYIAxAAGAA

Increases to 4x weekly starting on June 28th.

ANA787, where did you see that FRA-PDX flights were removed?

The flights were completely removed from google flights and condor site last night. But now they are appearing again. Perhaps a system glitch. Glad condor will be back this summer!

pnwpdx

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:30 pm

ANA787 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
skyflyer777 wrote:

I just went to the Condor Website and randomly picked a date (June 25) and it shows flight DE2091 Non-Stop PDX-FRA available to book.

It's still currently set to start on May 21st at 2x weekly: https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... gYIAxAAGAA

Increases to 4x weekly starting on June 28th.

ANA787, where did you see that FRA-PDX flights were removed?

The flights were completely removed from google flights and condor site last night. But now they are appearing again. Perhaps a system glitch. Glad condor will be back this summer!

According to this article, it is indeed coming back. Hoping it actually start!

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/202 ... y-far.html

But this is some positive news for PDX! That's a lot more passengers traveling through PDX than I would have thought.

AC4500

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:48 pm

Allegiant's inaugural SMX-PDX flight was on Thursday. Apparently they are using gate C13. I thought AS inherited this gate when WN moved to Concourse E. Is C13 now strictly Allegiant's gate or is it a common use gate? I thought they would have taken gate D8 which is where Sun Country normally is.

hoons90

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:23 pm

Korean-language article states that DL plans to launch PDX-ICN in September.

http://news.khan.co.kr/kh_news/khan_art ... ode=620104

DeltaPSCFlyer

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:17 pm

hoons90 wrote:

Wow, great news, hope it is valid and the route works out. Likely a move to head off ZipAir and potentially JL from starting service?

PDX-HND returns in early July, as does AMS.

AC4500

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:18 pm

DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

Wow, great news, hope it is valid and the route works out. Likely a move to head off ZipAir and potentially JL from starting service?

PDX-HND resumption date was recently pushed back to late October.

DeltaPSCFlyer

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:37 pm

AC4500 wrote:
DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

Thanks, wasn't aware of that. For whatever reason the weekly OAG post every Tuesday stopped, and so its harder to keep track of changes like these.

What about AMS? Is that still coming back in July?

AC4500

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:38 pm

DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:

Thanks, wasn't aware of that. For whatever reason the weekly OAG post every Tuesday stopped, and so its harder to keep track of changes like these.

What about AMS? Is that still coming back in July?

Yes, AMS is still set for July.

DaCubbyBearBar

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 pm

The EUG schedule for WN has a lot of room to add a flight or two... an early morning and 2 middays is interesting

TransWorldOne

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:29 pm

hoons90 wrote:

This is exciting! PDX-ICN makes so much more sense than HND given the sheer number of connecting opportunities on KE. I can’t imagine that PDX-HND will ever actually launch at this point.

pnwpdx

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:46 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

This is exciting! PDX-ICN makes so much more sense than HND given the sheer number of connecting opportunities on KE. I can’t imagine that PDX-HND will ever actually launch at this point.

This is a great addition to PDX! With Delta closing down their NRT hub, this gives PDX travelers and vice versa a connection point in Asia without having to stop in SEA, SFO, LAX or YVR. Hope this route succeeds and sticks around!

But I also hope DL PDX-HND comes back to complement this route. It does worry me a bit though.. however, PDX-TYO did fairly well. If Delta comes back and does HND from PDX, they are definitely playing defense and capitalizing on opportunity and keeping the competition out of PDX.

AC4500

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:06 pm

pnwpdx wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

This is a great addition to PDX! With Delta closing down their NRT hub, this gives PDX travelers and vice versa a connection point in Asia without having to stop in SEA, SFO, LAX or YVR. Hope this route succeeds and sticks around!

But I also hope DL PDX-HND comes back to complement this route. It does worry me a bit though.. however, PDX-TYO did fairly well. If Delta comes back and does HND from PDX, they are definitely playing defense and capitalizing on opportunity and keeping the competition out of PDX.

I think DL will come back to PDX-HND. They've been flying to Tokyo from PDX for decades (even during the Northwest days). It's hard to see them giving up on this route even while flying to ICN. If DL does leave PDX-TYO, a Japanese carrier will certainly pick up the route.

wnflyguy

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:37 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
The EUG schedule for WN has a lot of room to add a flight or two... an early morning and 2 middays is interesting

It's definitely a 3ed party station. One full time shift and on Late night 4 hr part time RON/cleaning crew shift.

Flyguy

jplatts

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:06 am

AC4500 wrote:
I think DL will come back to PDX-HND. They've been flying to Tokyo from PDX for decades (even during the Northwest days). It's hard to see them giving up on this route even while flying to ICN. If DL does leave PDX-TYO, a Japanese carrier will certainly pick up the route.

JL and NH can offer connections to other Japanese destinations through TYO, whereas DL doesn't currently codeshare with any Japanese airlines. Both JL and NH also have codeshare agreements with some airlines in East Asia and Southeast Asia that don't codeshare with DL.

panamair

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:42 am

jplatts wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

JL and NH can offer connections to other Japanese destinations through TYO, whereas DL doesn't currently codeshare with any Japanese airlines. Both JL and NH also have codeshare agreements with some airlines in East Asia and Southeast Asia that don't codeshare with DL.

While not as beneficial or easy as a codeshare, DL does interline with JL and NH for HND domestic Japanese connections. I really don’t think DL will walk away from PDX-HND without an attempt or a fight to make it work. Unlike LHR slots (which can be “traded” with partners VS, AF and KL), the HND authority is for PDX-HND on Delta only, and DL has never had an opportunity to make PDX-HND work yet (it never officially launched due to Covid); it won’t just give up that HND slot without trying it out first. Also, Japan is easily the largest Asian market for PDX and given that DL is not giving up on international at PDX, it doesn’t make sense for them not to serve the largest Asian market out of PDX and simply hand it over to one of the Japanese airlines.

AC4500

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:20 pm

It looks like B6 has BOS-PDX scheduled as a daily year-round route now. They've opened up the route for sale during the holiday schedule (12/16 - 1/3) and BOS-PDX is also available for sale from Feb. 10 to the end of their current schedule.

jplatts

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:38 pm

panamair wrote:
While not as beneficial or easy as a codeshare, DL does interline with JL and NH for HND domestic Japanese connections.

I agree with your point, and DL also does show interline connecting options from its flights to HND onto JL/NH Japanese domestic flights out of HND if I try to book a flight to a Japanese destination not served by DL on Delta.com.

lhpdx

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:18 pm

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VIV904

Looks like VivaAerobus is on its way to PDX from MEX........

lhpdx

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:23 pm

lhpdx wrote:

Spotter Alert.....It looks like VivaAerobus is on its way to PDX from MEX........

RWA380

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:50 pm

lhpdx wrote:

Is this a one off, or some new service on a otherwise unflown route?

RWA380

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:53 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Allegiant's inaugural SMX-PDX flight was on Thursday. Apparently they are using gate C13. I thought AS inherited this gate when WN moved to Concourse E. Is C13 now strictly Allegiant's gate or is it a common use gate? I thought they would have taken gate D8 which is where Sun Country normally is.

Isn't C13 where B6 flies out of? If so, they have only 1 flight a day here, therefore unless AS has a critical point contract to use it when un-used, G4 & B6 can share the gate. Just my guess.

flyoregon

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:56 pm

RWA380 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

Do international carriers number charter flights like US carriers do with 99XX or 88XX type flight numbers?

PDX757

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:56 am

lhpdx wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

Spotter Alert.....It looks like VivaAerobus is on its way to PDX from MEX........

Just stepped out for a break at work and wondered what livery that was!

flyoregon

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:48 am

PDX757 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

I’m sure it’s just a charter flight or Viva Aerobus and the PoP really dropped the ball on marketing a new flight to Mexico City.

And on that point, for the life of me, I don’t understand why PDX doesn’t have non-stop to MEX. After AeroMexico left I thought for sure Volaris would have stepped in. Anecdotally, the GDL flight seems to have pretty healthy loads. Walked past the counter at PDX last week a couple hours before departure and it was a pretty healthy line up to check in which is always great to see.

AC4500

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:44 am

RWA380 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Isn't C13 where B6 flies out of? If so, they have only 1 flight a day here, therefore unless AS has a critical point contract to use it when un-used, G4 & B6 can share the gate. Just my guess.

I believe B6 uses gate D8 now, which is shared with Hawaiian. They used to be at gate C6 but moved to Concourse D not terribly long ago.

AC4500

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:06 am

flyoregon wrote:
PDX757 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

I’m sure it’s just a charter flight or Viva Aerobus and the PoP really dropped the ball on marketing a new flight to Mexico City.

And on that point, for the life of me, I don’t understand why PDX doesn’t have non-stop to MEX. After AeroMexico left I thought for sure Volaris would have stepped in. Anecdotally, the GDL flight seems to have pretty healthy loads. Walked past the counter at PDX last week a couple hours before departure and it was a pretty healthy line up to check in which is always great to see.

It's just a one-off charter flight, I dont believe it's anything more than that.

Funny you should mention the Volaris front counter. I too have recently seen it very crowded there. I really hope they eventually add PDX-MEX, as I don't see AM returning to PDX anytime soon, if at all.

pdxav8r

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:31 am

I thought Volaris was beginning Morelia service, but I can’t find that option at all, through the end of November, on their website. Doesn’t even give options.

pdxmatt

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:11 pm

RWA380 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

This is almost definitely Club America’s team charter; they’re playing the Timbers in the CONCACAF Champions League (continental tournament) tomorrow.

AC4500

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:20 pm

pdxmatt wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

This is almost definitely Club America’s team charter; they’re playing the Timbers in the CONCACAF Champions League (continental tournament) tomorrow.

Thank you! That definitely explains it....

AC4500

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:38 pm

pdxav8r wrote:
I thought Volaris was beginning Morelia service, but I can’t find that option at all, through the end of November, on their website. Doesn’t even give options.

They should be launching this route on November 1st. I have no idea why Volaris hasn't opened up bookings for customers yet and when they plan to do so.

However, the flight schedule for this route itself is still loaded into the OAG system. I mentioned how to see their flight schedule for their new MLM routes on the Sacramento/SMF thread, as people there were confused about this too: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1456109&p=22695327 (should be the first/top post from this link)

Follow the instructions there but for step #3 use "PDX" instead of "SMF" and for step #6 use "November 1, 2021" as the departure date instead of "November 4, 2021".

It doesn't make sense why Volaris would load this into the OAG system but haven't yet opened it up to customers. The only explanation that I can think of is that they are waiting for government approval to sell these flights to customers.

zonks

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:54 am

VivaAerobus 9 scheduled to arrive tonight from LAX at 22:17 to take Club Ámerica home (hopefully after a loss!), departing PDX at 23:45 as VivaAerobus 905. It's a shame it's not arriving at PDX in daylight again as I was hoping to go spot it.

GerRodriguez

Sat May 01, 2021 1:23 am

AC4500 wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

They should be launching this route on November 1st. I have no idea why Volaris hasn't opened up bookings for customers yet and when they plan to do so.

However, the flight schedule for this route itself is still loaded into the OAG system. I mentioned how to see their flight schedule for their new MLM routes on the Sacramento/SMF thread, as people there were confused about this too: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1456109&p=22695327 (should be the first/top post from this link)

Follow the instructions there but for step #3 use "PDX" instead of "SMF" and for step #6 use "November 1, 2021" as the departure date instead of "November 4, 2021".

It doesn't make sense why Volaris would load this into the OAG system but haven't yet opened it up to customers. The only explanation that I can think of is that they are waiting for government approval to sell these flights to customers.

normally Volaris puts its new routes on sale 90/120 days before its opening, maybe that happens
surely by the end of July or August the new flights will be available for sale from MLM to SEA, PDX and SMF

jbpdx

Fri May 07, 2021 1:15 am

I see the airport on the flypdx.com website has updated the nonstop city list to delete routes no longer served. They forgot to delete PHL.

RWA380

Fri May 07, 2021 3:30 am

jbpdx wrote:
I see the airport on the flypdx.com website has updated the nonstop city list to delete routes no longer served. They forgot to delete PHL.

Honestly, since the AS/AA tie up & Oneworld, I fully see AA or AS back on this route for connecting Europe traffic plus the local O/D, maybe a well scheduled 738 or A-319 timed for the bank to & from Europe. Again, we are in uncharted territory with the carriers, the new normal, may not look like the old one by very much. It's amazing seeing the respective carriers route maps change so often.

flyoregon

Fri May 07, 2021 4:56 am

jbpdx wrote:

That route map kind of sucks. Look at Delta and it doesn’t have JFK, AMS, TYO, or ICN...all of which WILL return at some point. And isn’t Westjet year round to YYC and not seasonal (if/when it comes back)?

ANA787

Tue May 11, 2021 3:06 pm

Looks like DL intends to fly PDX-ICN daily in Spring 2022. The most recent schedule update has both PDX-HND and PDX-ICN at daily from March 26,2022.

AC4500

Tue May 11, 2021 5:03 pm

RWA380 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Honestly, since the AS/AA tie up & Oneworld, I fully see AA or AS back on this route for connecting Europe traffic plus the local O/D, maybe a well scheduled 738 or A-319 timed for the bank to & from Europe. Again, we are in uncharted territory with the carriers, the new normal, may not look like the old one by very much. It's amazing seeing the respective carriers route maps change so often.

Isn't PHL AA's official main "gateway" to Europe? Once transatlantic travel begins to recover, it would seem like AA not flying PDX-PHL would be a major missed opportunity for them.

jbpdx

Fri May 14, 2021 6:50 pm

As of now, Condor restarts FRA on 28 June, Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri. Air Canada restarts YVR on 19 June. Icelandair restarts KEF on 2 July, Sun/Tue/Wed/Fri. WestJet restarts YYC in August. Delta restarts AMS on 6 Aug. Alaska restarts FLL on 8 Sept., still alternating days with JetBlue, and Cancun in November (new or restart?)

AC4500

Fri May 14, 2021 7:26 pm

The Icelandair PDX-KEF flight appears to have recently increased from 3 to 4x weekly, which is a great sign of returning demand. When the resumption of PDX-KEF was first announced I booked the flight with the strong possibility that I would be rerouted through SEA. I'm glad that I probably won't have to worry about that...

jbpdx wrote:
As of now, Condor restarts FRA on 28 June, Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri. Air Canada restarts YVR on 19 June. Icelandair restarts KEF on 2 July, Sun/Tue/Wed/Fri. WestJet restarts YYC in August. Delta restarts AMS on 6 Aug. Alaska restarts FLL on 8 Sept., still alternating days with JetBlue, and Cancun in November (new or restart?)

AS flew PDX-CUN in the recent winter season. As of now, they will restart it in November.

gunsontheroof

Fri May 14, 2021 9:13 pm

Looks like Volga-Dnepr had a Ruslan (RA-82047) at MFR today, currently heading to YEG as VI4496. Any idea what it was visiting for?

Ishrion

Fri May 14, 2021 9:21 pm

gunsontheroof wrote:
Looks like Volga-Dnepr had a Ruslan (RA-82047) at MFR today, currently heading to YEG as VI4496. Any idea what it was visiting for?

DOT filing says Erickson Helicopters Inc.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0044-0841

gunsontheroof

Fri May 14, 2021 10:46 pm

Ishrion wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:

DOT filing says Erickson Helicopters Inc.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0044-0841

Good catch! Skycrane(s) for wildfire season in Greece, perhaps?

flyoregon

Fri May 14, 2021 11:31 pm

Does anyone know, anecdotally, how Allegiant is doing at PDX so far?

jbpdx

Sat May 15, 2021 5:34 pm

AC4500 wrote:
The Icelandair PDX-KEF flight appears to have recently increased from 3 to 4x weekly, which is a great sign of returning demand. When the resumption of PDX-KEF was first announced I booked the flight with the strong possibility that I would be rerouted through SEA. I'm glad that I probably won't have to worry about that...

I’m looking at PDX-LHR on Icelandair, $650 roundtrip in Sept.

jbpdx

Sat May 15, 2021 7:39 pm

Hawaiian is flying the A330 to HNL today in addition to the A321. Also subbed in the A330 Friday for the A321.

AC4500

Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Hawaiian is flying the A330 to HNL today in addition to the A321. Also subbed in the A330 Friday for the A321.

I'm guessing there was an operational issue with the A321, since that aircraft is going back to HNL under a completely different flight number: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/HAL ... /KPDX/PHNL

AC4500

Sat May 15, 2021 7:45 pm

UA has increased ORD-PDX to 5 daily flights starting in July.

In 2019, UA flew 4 daily flights on ORD-PDX, so this exceeds their pre-COVID capacity on this route.

pdxswa

Sat May 15, 2021 8:15 pm

The HA A330 has been here a lot lately. Obviously the loads are going up. 8*** flight numbers are usually a ferry flight.

jbpdx wrote:

AC4500

Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm

AC4500 wrote:
UA has increased ORD-PDX to 5 daily flights starting in July.

In 2019, UA flew 4 daily flights on ORD-PDX, so this exceeds their pre-COVID capacity on this route.

Also, IAD-PDX increases to 2x daily in June (interestingly, SEA-IAD is still at 1x daily in June). Pre-COVID had IAD-PDX at 1x daily. UA appears to be recovering very quickly at PDX.

PDX757

Tue May 18, 2021 9:19 pm

What’s going on with departures at Pdx right now? Departing aircraft are turning pretty much immediately after takeoff. Kinda neat having a different view, but does anyone know what’s going on?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos