Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Looks like WN is also adding PDX-PSP 1x Saturdays: Nov. 20, 27; Dec. 18, Jan. 1
https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest ... fall-2021/

jbpdx

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:28 pm

AC4500 wrote:
If Sun Country could fill 50-75% of a 737-800 for 4x weekly PDX-BNA, than AS could easily make that 80-95%.

PDX-BNA
Q2 2019: 321 passengers/day (161 EW)
Q3 2019: 378 passengers/day (189 EW).
Q4 2019: 295 passengers/day (148 EW).

New Orleans and Tampa are great adds by Alaska (I wonder if Allegiant was looking at PIE and MSY from PDX) but Nashville has a higher PDEW. It’s a tailor-made route for Southwest with their extensive connections to many SE cities, but I don’t see them doing it. They’ve abandoned PDX-BWI and PDX-HOU.

It’s ironic just a few years ago people were saying Portland couldn’t support Florida nonstops, now we have MCO, FLL and TPA.

jbpdx

Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:31 pm

How many gates does Southwest have in the new E Concourse? Today (11 June) they have a total of 23 departures between 0500 and 2100. That's an average of 1.5 departures per hour. How many gates would that require?

Wneast

Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:34 pm

jbpdx wrote:
How many gates does Southwest have in the new E Concourse? Today (11 June) they have a total of 23 departures between 0500 and 2100. That's an average of 1.5 departures per hour. How many gates would that require?
They have 6 gates total right now but I have heard once things move around more they will get two more gates and obviously there nowhere near there pre pandemic offerings

RWA380

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:18 am

Wneast wrote:
WN also is starting PDX-PSP

It's like shooting fish in a barrel during the winter, so many Oregonians own houses in Portland & Palm Springs. They have been passed down from their grandparents, the original snowbirds.

The ones who only flew, but paid a young family member to drive their Oldsmobile's, Cadillacs or like kind down in October & back in April, and they flew 2 hours in F. They'd stay for up to 6 months, their cars laden with all their comforts. The driver was flown home upon arrival of their vehicles & back in the Spring. I did this for my late friends Mom several times, her Cutlass was just premium & I loved driving when I was 18 or 19.

I see the fares are extra high on the non-stop & they'll get it. WN had an intrepid little group of loyalists in Portland OR. It's surely seasonal, even AS cuts back to 1 flight daily in summer, but this next summer may be different, like this one.

flyoregon

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:40 am

For what it's worth, flew Allegiant PDX-IDA-PDX on Friday 6/11 and Monday 6/14.

PDX-IDA was about 80% full and IDA-PDX was 70-75% full. On the inbound IDA flight on 6/11, there was a very healthy number of people who deplaned, and on the outbound flight to IDA on 6/14, I would estimate the plane was once again 75-80% full.

Again, that's just my observation, but for a new flight between a brand new city pair, I'd say that's pretty good.

AC4500

Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:54 am

Wneast wrote:
They have 6 gates total right now but I have heard once things move around more they will get two more gates and obviously there nowhere near there pre pandemic offerings

Where did you hear that from?

Wneast

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:06 am

AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

It was said in this thread

AC4500

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:16 pm

Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

It was said in this thread

Unless if WN is getting common-use gates from Concourse D, or if Concourse E further expands in the future, there are no more gates for WN to obtain. I don't think UA would give up any of their Concourse E gates to WN.

AC4500

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:24 pm

RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
WN also is starting PDX-PSP

It's like shooting fish in a barrel during the winter, so many Oregonians own houses in Portland & Palm Springs. They have been passed down from their grandparents, the original snowbirds.

The ones who only flew, but paid a young family member to drive their Oldsmobile's, Cadillacs or like kind down in October & back in April, and they flew 2 hours in F. They'd stay for up to 6 months, their cars laden with all their comforts. The driver was flown home upon arrival of their vehicles & back in the Spring. I did this for my late friends Mom several times, her Cutlass was just premium & I loved driving when I was 18 or 19.

I see the fares are extra high on the non-stop & they'll get it. WN had an intrepid little group of loyalists in Portland OR. It's surely seasonal, even AS cuts back to 1 flight daily in summer, but this next summer may be different, like this one.

It looks like there are a total of just 4 round trips for PDX-PSP around the holiday season. IIRC, WN had planned on attempting something similar last winter for operating PDX-SAN, but it never came to fruition. We'll see if WN actually operates this route, unlike PDX-SAN.

WN does have a fairly strong customer base here in Portland, which is pretty evident considering that they're starting flights to EUG. However, if WN really wants to retain their strong customer base in Portland, they need to offer a competitive product/schedule that goes up directly against AS. Based on WN's habit of offering Saturday-only flights on routes where AS operates several daily flights, it's really hard to tell if WN is actually interested in doing this.

jbpdx

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:02 pm

Air Canada just arrived from YVR. Is this the first re-link flight?

jbpdx

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:20 pm

Here’s an odd one: Sun Country just landed from MKC, Kansas City’s old downtown airport. Must be cargo but rare.

flyoregon

Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:37 am

jbpdx wrote:
Here’s an odd one: Sun Country just landed from MKC, Kansas City’s old downtown airport. Must be cargo but rare.

Timbers play Sporting KC tomorrow night. MLS charter.

FLYKTPA

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:48 pm

lhpdx

Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:34 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:

This is wonderful news!!! I'm excitedly waiting to see what Alaska's big plans are for the airport...

lhpdx

Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:53 pm

lhpdx wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

This is wonderful news!!! I'm excitedly waiting to see what Alaska's big plans are for the airport...

EGEflyer

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:47 pm

lhpdx wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it. I find the concept laughable after AS made a point of saying that PDX wasn't a connecting hub for them when they terminated both the BLI and PSC routes.

If they're serious about using PDX to relieve pressure on space at SEA, then I think they need to start flight banks at PDX, and add service to the likes of BLI, PSC, EAT, PUW, reinstate PAE and EUG, and maybe boost some of their other flights. While they certainly have a decent spread of N/S destinations, the fact that many are only once daily, and spread throughout the day makes it impossible to run any kind of connecting hub.

As I see it, PDX is only a focus city for AS anymore, not a hub, and totally dependent on O&D traffic.

jbpdx

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:26 pm

Good to see Alaska is backing off the idea that they have to shuttle seems like almost everyone into an overcrowded SEA. No reason southbound PDX passengers should have to fly north to SEA to go south, and no reason some ANC, GEG and PAE etc. passengers couldn’t route thru PDX instead.

AS should focus on unserved airports like BNA, IND, HOU, LGB, MEX, PHL (if AA won’t do it) and one of the Ohio airports as well as underserved like STL and PVR or barely served like BWI or YYZ. Adding competitor hubs like ATL, CLT, IAH can come second. (Do they need to compete with oneworld partner AA on any route?)

Alaska has benefitted from ULCCs ignoring (F9, NK) or giving up on (SY) PDX, but Allegiant’s entry could be a game changer. They also face the possibility that Southwest might be ending their lukewarm interest here.

AC4500

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:31 pm

EGEflyer wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it. I find the concept laughable after AS made a point of saying that PDX wasn't a connecting hub for them when they terminated both the BLI and PSC routes.

If they're serious about using PDX to relieve pressure on space at SEA, then I think they need to start flight banks at PDX, and add service to the likes of BLI, PSC, EAT, PUW, reinstate PAE and EUG, and maybe boost some of their other flights. While they certainly have a decent spread of N/S destinations, the fact that many are only once daily, and spread throughout the day makes it impossible to run any kind of connecting hub.

As I see it, PDX is only a focus city for AS anymore, not a hub, and totally dependent on O&D traffic.

Things have changed since COVID. A lot. I definitely agree with all your points, though.

The problem with BLI-PDX is that it directly overflew Seattle. There's not really any point in flying BLI-PDX when more connecting options are available in a major hub that the route overflies. On the same token, however, the same exact argument could be made for EUG-SEA. It overflies PDX, yet AS continues to fly EUG-SEA instead of EUG-PDX.

If AS really wants to make PDX a "connecting hub", then PAE-PDX will definitely come back strong. The initial purpose of PAE-PDX was to provide connecting options for passengers where PAE-XXX was not feasible. At one point, AS even changed some of the PAE-PDX departure times to match connecting schedules on routes like PDX-BOS/ORD/MCO/DCA.

PDX-PSC/EAT/PUW would need to have a healthy mix of both O&D and connecting traffic in order to be successful without taking too much traffic flow away from Seattle.

I think time banks at PDX will only become necessary when AS eventually runs out of gate space in Seattle and more traffic flow will end up shifting to PDX as a result.

onwFan

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:54 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:

I hope this encourages the long awaited arrival of BA and JL at PDX!

cschleic

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:44 pm

AC4500 wrote:
EGEflyer wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

Things have changed since COVID. A lot. I definitely agree with all your points, though.

The problem with BLI-PDX is that it directly overflew Seattle. There's not really any point in flying BLI-PDX when more connecting options are available in a major hub that the route overflies. On the same token, however, the same exact argument could be made for EUG-SEA. It overflies PDX, yet AS continues to fly EUG-SEA instead of EUG-PDX.

If AS really wants to make PDX a "connecting hub", then PAE-PDX will definitely come back strong. The initial purpose of PAE-PDX was to provide connecting options for passengers where PAE-XXX was not feasible. At one point, AS even changed some of the PAE-PDX departure times to match connecting schedules on routes like PDX-BOS/ORD/MCO/DCA.

PDX-PSC/EAT/PUW would need to have a healthy mix of both O&D and connecting traffic in order to be successful without taking too much traffic flow away from Seattle.

I think time banks at PDX will only become necessary when AS eventually runs out of gate space in Seattle and more traffic flow will end up shifting to PDX as a result.

Regarding EUG, with COVID reductions, it made sense to keep flights to SEA as they provide more connecting city opportunities than PDX. For PAE, for some travelers, connecting through PDX would have to make more sense (total time, cost, aggravation, whatever consideration) than driving to SEA for a non-stop flight. The likelihood that AS would have a non-stop route from PDX but not from SEA seems small.

jbpdx

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:10 pm

The Netherlands will open to all U.S. travelers on 24 June without testing, vaccination, or quarantine requirements. However, Delta will not be restarting PDX-AMS until 10 September, missing the summer season. Meanwhile, several airlines are suing the UK government for not allowing vaccinated travellers to enter the UK without quarantining. A decision to drop the requirement could be announced Thursday, according to Sky News.

https://news.delta.com/trans-atlantic-t ... -travelers

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-qua ... k-12338282

lhpdx

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:22 pm

AS adding a second daily PDX-DFW in December.........

AC4500

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:30 pm

jbpdx wrote:
The Netherlands will open to all U.S. travelers on 24 June without testing, vaccination, or quarantine requirements. However, Delta will not be restarting PDX-AMS until 10 September, missing the summer season.

https://news.delta.com/trans-atlantic-t ... -travelers

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-qua ... k-12338282

Give it time. That article was just released yesterday, so DL may soon update their PDX-AMS schedule in the coming weeks in order to reflect this development.

lhpdx wrote:
AS adding a second daily PDX-DFW in December.........

Yep. I see the new flight loaded into the schedule from November 9 to January 3. Looks to be an E175 operating a red-eye to DFW, and an early morning arrival back to PDX.

jbpdx

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:37 am

Looks like Condor has dropped PDX. Flights were scheduled to resume in early July. That leaves Icelandair as the only link to Europe this summer.

flyoregon

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:40 am

jbpdx wrote:
Looks like Condor has dropped PDX. Flights were scheduled to resume in early July. That leaves Icelandair as the only link to Europe this summer.

Still on their route map, but that could change.

jbpdx

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:45 pm

PDX Portland International Airport
May 2021 Traffic Report

Total Passengers. 1,044,427 61.4% of May 2019
Total Internațional. 7,736 11.3% of May 2019
Total Domestic. 1,036,691. 63.5% of May 2019

Total Flight Operations*. 7,736 50.9% of May 2019

-------

May 2019
Total Passengers. 1,701,213
Total Internațional. 68,227
Total Domestic. 1,632,986

Total Flight Operations*. 15,188.

*excluding cargo

Not sure about comparisons with other airports but PDX has quite a way to go to get back to 2019 levels. Last month there were only 76 international operations compared to 706 in May 2019.

https://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/May ... istics(PDF).pdf

AC4500

Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:46 pm

PDX-ICN start date was pushed back to November 1st. Disappointing, but not surprising to say the least...

jbpdx

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:30 am

Who’s going to re-establish the PDX-LGB link. It’s the only significant hole in PDX- California. JetBlue used to get 85% LF.

Wneast

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:33 am

jbpdx wrote:

Who’s going to re-establish the PDX-LGB link. It’s the only significant hole in PDX- California. JetBlue used to get 85% LF.

It would have to be WN nobody else has slots unless Delta tried it but I don’t think they will

AC4500

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:42 am

Wneast wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

It would have to be WN nobody else has slots unless Delta tried it but I don’t think they will

AS has publicly made it very clear that they are not interested in re-entering LGB, although that sentiment could change. DL will probably launch SEA-LGB at some point with either new slots or sacrificing one or more of their SLC-LGB flights.

If PDX-LGB ever happens again it'll be on WN. Probably a Saturday-only flight as per usual WN non-'hub' flights to and from PDX. However, they couldn't seem to make PDX-BUR/LAX/ONT/SAN/SNA work so I have a hard time believing that they could ever make PDX-LGB work, but from what's been described on the WN network thread (take that with a grain of salt), WN has even more serious future expansion ambitions for LGB than they do at BUR and ONT, so there's still a slight chance it could happen, IMO.

AC4500

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:44 am

On the topic of WN, their PDX operations are kind of pathetic at the moment to be honest, especially during Portland's summer peak travel season period. Over the past few weeks, I have travelled through both the north and south parts of the terminal and traffic flow is VERY different in comparison. The new concourse E is essentially dead, while concourse C is always packed. I wonder if WN will ever be back to their 2019 flight schedule for PDX at all.

Wneast

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:47 am

AC4500 wrote:
On the topic of WN, their PDX operations are kind of pathetic at the moment to be honest, especially during Portland's summer peak travel season period. The new concourse E is essentially dead, while concourse C is always packed. I wonder if WN will ever be back to their 2019 flight schedule at PDX at all.

I’m hearing straight from HNL WN station they are starting hawaii flights in August I’m still skeptical but they are telling me it’s being announced in a few weeks. We will see if this happens when we have been hearing about this for awhile

jbpdx

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:48 am

AC4500 wrote:
On the topic of WN, their PDX operations are kind of pathetic at the moment to be honest, especially during Portland's summer peak travel season period. Over the past few weeks, I have travelled through both the north and south parts of the terminal and traffic flow is VERY different in comparison. The new concourse E is essentially dead, while concourse C is always packed. I wonder if WN will ever be back to their 2019 flight schedule for PDX at all.

Somebody said they have 6 gates in the new E concourse. They need 2.

AC4500

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:49 am

Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
On the topic of WN, their PDX operations are kind of pathetic at the moment to be honest, especially during Portland's summer peak travel season period. The new concourse E is essentially dead, while concourse C is always packed. I wonder if WN will ever be back to their 2019 flight schedule at PDX at all.

I’m hearing straight from HNL WN station they are starting hawaii flights in August I’m still skeptical but they are telling me it’s being announced in a few weeks. We will see if this happens when we have been hearing about this for awhile

I've seen PDX-HNL rumors on the WN network thread several times now. I'm holding out hope that it could happen, but if I figured it would have already been announced by now if their intention was to start the route in August.

AC4500

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:52 am

jbpdx wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Somebody said they have 6 gates in the new E concourse. They need 2.

Exactly. I flew WN to PHX two weeks ago, and the plane to PHX was the only WN aircraft parked at any of WN's gates. When I returned to PDX, there was only one other parked WN plane at the terminal (I believe it arrived from OAK).

Wneast

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:52 am

AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

I've seen PDX-HNL rumors on the WN network thread several times now. I'm holding out hope that it could happen, but if I figured it would have already been announced by now if their intention was to start the route in August.

Yes we have been hearing about that for awhile but it could be true you would think the flights would have been announced already. But the HNL station keeps telling me it’s happening along with SEA so if we see what happens in the next month but I could see that as they only had a few weeks tell this expansion that is happening now.

AC4500

Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:01 am

Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Yes we have been hearing about that for awhile but it could be true you would think the flights would have been announced already. But the HNL station keeps telling me it’s happening along with SEA so if we see what happens in the next month but I could see that as they only had a few weeks tell this expansion that is happening now.

SEA-HNL too, huh? SEA-HNL is so overserved, that they would probably be much better off flying GEG-HNL. :lol:

Wneast

Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:03 am

AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

SEA-HNL too, huh? SEA-HNL is so overserved, that they would probably be much better off flying GEG-HNL. :lol:

Oh your so right I like the idea of GEG-HNL. I think SEA-HNL is WN trying to go after AS in every hawaii route they do

pdxswa

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:03 am

Terminal E dead very laughable !

AC4500 wrote:

AC4500

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:02 am

pdxswa wrote:

AC4500 wrote:

I'm just going off of what I saw when I was there. No need for the sarcastic attitude.
Last edited by AC4500 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

RWA380

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:08 am

Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Oh your so right I like the idea of GEG-HNL. I think SEA-HNL is WN trying to go after AS in every hawaii route they do

Except Washington & Oregon residents tend to vacation off Isle to Maui, Kauai or the Big Island. I know a group of Oregonians on Molokai as well. We are fiercely loyal to AS, which is why many of WN's routes end, sooner than later up here, notice the PAE thing?. There is a place at PDX for WN, but Hawaii, other than seasonally, WN will face an uphill battle, PDX & SEA will require multiple Islands for n/s destinations to work with the public & they'll have to settle for less profit per ticket..

Wneast

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:12 am

RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Except Washington & Oregon residents tend to vacation off Isle to Maui, Kauai or the Big Island. I know a group of Oregonians on Molokai as well. We are fiercely loyal to AS, which is why many of WN's routes end, sooner than later up here, notice the PAE thing?. There is a place at PDX for WN, but Hawaii, other than seasonally, WN will face an uphill battle, PDX & SEA will require multiple Islands for n/s destinations to work with the public & they'll have to settle for less profit per ticket..

Oh im hearing they are talking about starting with HNL and OGG if they work out the could potentially add all four islands at least at PDX

RWA380

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:22 am

Wneast wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Oh im hearing they are talking about starting with HNL and OGG if they work out the could potentially add all four islands at least at PDX

They will need to lower fares in the market to impact it, below what AS charges, which is over $400 currently. There in't much profit at $299 r/t but that's what it'll take to draw enough people, especially in low season WN would need to cut back or all together, AS doesn't even fly LIH any longer from PDX & KOA is not daily except at peak times. OGG usually is 2 x daily
& HNL 1 x daily, until high season then it's 2 x daily. With HA, that is about the demand. AS won't cede anything from SEA or PDX, you'll see a bloodbath between them both until WN pulls out. DL flies Christmas flights to HNL from PDX.

AC4500

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:27 am

RWA380 wrote:
DL flies Christmas flights to HNL from PDX.

Yeah, I seem to remember DL on HNL-PDX several years back during the peak holiday season. I'm pretty sure they ended that route when SY started it up.

If WN doesnt start HNL-PDX, I bet DL will be back at it again.

flyoregon

Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:08 am

RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

I don’t understand how PDX can’t keep LIH…IMO the most beautiful place in Hawaii

jbpdx

Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:52 am

flyoregon wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I don’t understand how PDX can’t keep LIH…IMO the most beautiful place in Hawaii

Alaska website shows it restarting on 8 September.

flyoregon

Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:00 am

jbpdx wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Alaska website shows it restarting on 8 September.

Good to know! Thanks for the update!

AC4500

Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:19 pm

Alaska is adding a second daily PDX-JFK flight starting November 4th.

pdxswa

Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:32 pm

Maybe you need to check flightaware ? Before you post something that is baseless claim about terminal E being dead.

AC4500 wrote:
pdxswa wrote:

AC4500 wrote:

I'm just going off of what I saw when I was there. No need for the sarcastic attitude.