Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaxTrimm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue May 18, 2021 9:44 pm

WN3487 just departed 10 minutes ago on the normal route. If you’re looking at the Q400’s, they often are assigned turns immedietly after takeoff because they climb at slower speeds and often have different departure procedures.

PDX757

Wed May 19, 2021 12:49 am

MaxTrimm wrote:
WN3487 just departed 10 minutes ago on the normal route. If you’re looking at the Q400’s, they often are assigned turns immedietly after takeoff because they climb at slower speeds and often have different departure procedures.

There were mainlines jets, first one I saw washttps://fr24.com/JBU1606/27c10370

Only a half dozen or so flights turned immediately after takeoff before it was back to normal.

midway7

Wed May 19, 2021 9:37 pm

We had some weather in the area around that time yesterday. They were likely taking radar vectors around it as opposed to flying the standard departure. The weather was not in the area long. Typical Portland.

jbpdx

Wed May 19, 2021 10:28 pm

midway7 wrote:
We had some weather in the area around that time yesterday. They were likely taking radar vectors around it as opposed to flying the standard departure. The weather was not in the area long. Typical Portland.

Yeah. 85F the other day and just over 50 now. Montana is about to get a snow dump.

gunsontheroof

Wed May 19, 2021 10:36 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:

Spot on. You can watch them doing this all day at SEA as well.

lhpdx

Fri May 21, 2021 9:54 pm

PDX Spotters: National Cargo 747-400 is on its way from ANC https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NCR821

lhpdx

Fri May 21, 2021 9:56 pm

lhpdx wrote:
PDX Spotters: National Cargo 747-400 is on its way from ANC arriving at 5:12pm https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NCR821

ooslc

Fri May 21, 2021 11:17 pm

UPS 747-8 also coming in a about 35 minutes after. which is every friday it seems.

ooslc

Fri May 21, 2021 11:29 pm

Also looks like some familiar flights started back up yesterday. AS to BOS, DCA, and EWR. That's probably why my flight from PSP was switched on me (about a month ago) last night and had to go through SFO.

ANA787

Sat May 22, 2021 2:09 am

Looks like Cathay will be sending two 744 to PDX tomorrow morning from LAX. Is this normal ?

pdxav8r

Sat May 22, 2021 2:48 am

ANA787 wrote:
Looks like Cathay will be sending two 744 to PDX tomorrow morning from LAX. Is this normal ?

Nope, not normal. So close in timings (CX83, CX3281), probably a dupe flight. Won’t really know until they get in the air. Will be watching, thanks for the heads up.

pdxav8r

Sat May 22, 2021 2:54 am

ooslc wrote:
Also looks like some familiar flights started back up yesterday. AS to BOS, DCA, and EWR. That's probably why my flight from PSP was switched on me (about a month ago) last night and had to go through SFO.

MCI back as well. Lose an OGG flight (though I’m flying to OGG in August, and AS is 2X then). BUR and ONT go mainline. 2X FAT and ANC.

flyoregon

Sat May 22, 2021 3:40 am

pdxav8r wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

Nope, not normal. So close in timings (CX83, CX3281), probably a dupe flight. Won’t really know until they get in the air. Will be watching, thanks for the heads up.

Saw something in the news about the Port of Portland, Cathay, and a few other groups sending COVID supplies to India, so that’s probably what the two flights are…if that ends up actually being 2 flights.

jbpdx

Sat May 22, 2021 5:52 pm

flyoregon wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

Saw something in the news about the Port of Portland, Cathay, and a few other groups sending COVID supplies to India, so that’s probably what the two flights are…if that ends up actually being 2 flights.

Two are usually listed on Saturdays but only one 748 runs, as today.

Why is Delta sending a 757-300 to PDX from DSM today?

AC4500

Sun May 23, 2021 4:56 am

jbpdx wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

Two are usually listed on Saturdays but only one 748 runs, as today.

Why is Delta sending a 757-300 to PDX from DSM today?

Probably either a military charter or repositioning flight.

AC4500

Sun May 23, 2021 4:59 am

It looks like United's second daily IAD-PDX flight will only last through the end of June. Kind of odd considering that July/August is peak travel season for PDX. The good news is that EWR-PDX gets bumped up to 2x daily starting in July. IAH-PDX is back to 2019 capacity and ORD-PDX will surpass 2019 capacity.

AC4500

Sun May 23, 2021 8:01 pm

Just some food for thought.....

I wonder if Breeze could eventually launch nonstop SAT-PDX flights. The market is clearly there. At one point, SY was operating it 4x weekly with a 737-800. San Antonio appears to be a major focus point within Breeze's route network and since Portland is one of the largest unserved markets from San Antonio, along with Breeze's long-range/smaller capacity jets (E190s/A220s), I think it would be a great-performing route for them.

If not Breeze, then I'm sure AS could support a daily E175 on PDX-SAT.

jplatts

Sun May 23, 2021 10:09 pm

jbpdx wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
If AS doesnt start PDX-MSY, I don't think anyone will.

I’m beginning to question Alaska’s commitment to PDX.

There are some U.S. destinations not served nonstop from PDX on AS that have nonstop service on other airlines such as CLT on AA, ATL/DTW/JFK on DL, IAH/IAD on UA, BWI/MDW/MCI/STL on WN, and IDA/MRY on G4.

While AS no longer serves BWI and JFK nonstop from PDX, AS still serves DCA in the WAS market and EWR in the NYC market nonstop from PDX.

There are a few top destinations not currently served nonstop from PDX such as IND, RDU, SAT, and TPA that AS could add nonstop service to out of PDX.

lhpdx

Mon May 24, 2021 12:58 am

AC4500 wrote:

I wonder if Breeze could eventually launch nonstop SAT-PDX flights. The market is clearly there. At one point, SY was operating it 4x weekly with a 737-800. San Antonio appears to be a major focus point within Breeze's route network and since Portland is one of the largest unserved markets from San Antonio, along with Breeze's long-range/smaller capacity jets (E190s/A220s), I think it would be a great-performing route for them.

I've wondered the same thing about AS commitment to Portland...Since Covid, the PDX hub has been gutted all the way down to the bone marrow.....

AC4500

Mon May 24, 2021 4:48 am

lhpdx wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

I've wondered the same thing about AS commitment to Portland...Since Covid, the PDX hub has been gutted all the way down to the bone marrow.....

AS is offering just 2 daily flights on both PDX-PHX and PDX-LAS from June through August with only one flight operating on Saturdays. If that's not pathetic, then I dont know what is.

However, throughout the pandemic we have gotten three new destinations from them (CUN, DEN, FLL). I believe the last time Alaska launched that many new destinations from PDX was when they launched PDX-ATL/BWI/MKE/OMA/PHL/STL which were all announced around the same time in 2016-17(ish). They're still committed to PDX, but I honestly dont understand why PDX-LAS/PHX, some of Portland's strongest routes are at such low frequencies during the summer peak travel season. Obviously COVID has reduced demand, but competitors like WN and NK are flying upwards of 5 daily flights on the same routes.
Last edited by AC4500 on Mon May 24, 2021 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wneast

Mon May 24, 2021 4:54 am

AC4500 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

AS is offering just 2 daily flights on both PDX-PHX and PDX-LAS from June through August with only one flight operating on Saturdays. If that's not pathetic, then I dont know what is.

However, throughout the pandemic we have gotten three new destinations from them (CUN, DEN, FLL). I believe the last time Alaska launched that many new destinations from PDX was when they launched PDX-ATL/BWI/MKE/OMA/STL which were all announced around the same time in 2016-17(ish). They're still committed to PDX, but I honestly dont understand why PDX-LAS/PHX, some of Portland's strongest routes are at such low frequencies during the summer peak travel season. Obviously COVID has reduced demand, but competitors like WN and NK are flying upwards of 5 daily flights on the same routes.

Wish WN would step up but they probably won’t they don’t have Enough gates to compete with Alaska and it would require them to put some effort

MaxTrimm

Mon May 24, 2021 4:58 am

AC4500 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

However, throughout the pandemic we have gotten three new destinations from them (CUN, DEN, FLL). I believe the last time Alaska launched that many new destinations from PDX was when they launched PDX-ATL/BWI/MKE/OMA/PHL/STL which were all announced around the same time in 2016-17(ish). They're still committed to PDX, but I honestly dont understand why PDX-LAS/PHX, some of Portland's strongest routes are at such low frequencies during the summer peak travel season. Obviously COVID has reduced demand, but competitors like WN and NK are flying upwards of 5 daily flights on the same routes.

LAS is a bit odd, but mid-late Summer is low season for Phoenix. I imagine a lot of people who would go to Phoenix October-May are choosing Southern California and other cooler places for late Summer

pdxswa

Mon May 24, 2021 10:07 pm

7 gates is more than enough for WN to step up here at PDX.

Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
[quote="lhpdx"

However, throughout the pandemic we have gotten three new destinations from them (CUN, DEN, FLL). I believe the last time Alaska launched that many new destinations from PDX was when they launched PDX-ATL/BWI/MKE/OMA/STL which were all announced around the same time in 2016-17(ish). They're still committed to PDX, but I honestly dont understand why PDX-LAS/PHX, some of Portland's strongest routes are at such low frequencies during the summer peak travel season. Obviously COVID has reduced demand, but competitors like WN and NK are flying upwards of 5 daily flights on the same routes.

Wish WN would step up but they probably won’t they don’t have Enough gates to compete with Alaska and it would require them to put some effort[/quote]

lhpdx

Tue May 25, 2021 9:04 pm

Does anyone know how long PDX south runway will be closed?

ANA787

Wed May 26, 2021 7:30 pm

AC4500 wrote:

Wouldn’t be a bad time for DL to restart PDX-LAS. I guarantee it will come eventually, especially with DL starting PDX-ICN.

jbpdx

Wed May 26, 2021 8:15 pm

Delta has pushed back the restart date for AMS to 10 Sept.

Routesonline has an article "Delta sees normal summer for domestic travel
The airline believes it will be back at 100% of pre-COVID-19 domestic leisure travel levels by next month." It also says "Alaska Airlines, meanwhile, said it now expects to operate 100% of precrisis capacity in June and return to pre-pandemic growth rates afterward." However, Alaska operations at PDX are far from that. Service to JFK remains well below 2019 levels on AS, DL and B6.

jbpdx

Thu May 27, 2021 12:33 am

Lost nonstops to BNA (SY), BWI (WN/AS), HOU (WN), PHL (AS/AA), YYZ (AC), LHR (DL/BA), LIH (AS), LGB (B6), OMA (AS), SAT (SY), MSN (SY?)

Domestic service either reduced and/or slow to resume: IAD (UA), DAL (AS/WN), BUR (AS), JFK (DL/AS)

International service either reduced and/or slow to resume: AMS (DL), HND (DL), YVR (AC/AS), YYC (WS/AC)

Given these setbacks, I don’t think we’ll return to passenger numbers from 2019 for two years. PDX will likely slip down the list of the top US airport rankings.

Anything I forgot?

ANA787

Thu May 27, 2021 1:18 am

jbpdx wrote:
Lost nonstops to BNA (SY), BWI (WN/AS), HOU (WN), PHL (AS/AA), YYZ (AC), LHR (DL/BA), LIH (AS), LGB (B6), OMA (AS), SAT (SY), MSN (SY?)

Domestic service either reduced and/or slow to resume: IAD (UA), DAL (AS/WN), BUR (AS), JFK (DL/AS)

International service either reduced and/or slow to resume: AMS (DL), HND (DL), YVR (AC/AS), YYC (WS/AC)

Given these setbacks, I don’t think we’ll return to passenger numbers from 2019 for two years. PDX will likely slip down the list of the top US airport rankings.

Anything I forgot?

DAL resumes in June for WN, and July for AS. YYC resumes in August. YYZ, OMA and LIH resume in September.

I’m sure most of these will resume fairly quickly, especially PHL-can’t believe both AS and AA are slow to react in this market.

I also believe it’s only a matter of time before BA reannounces PDX because PDX technically is now a oneworld hub.

PDX just posted it’s April stats and things are beginning to recover more and more. The momentum will only increase now.

https://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/Apr ... s%20(Excel).xlsx

AC4500

Fri May 28, 2021 7:58 pm

jbpdx wrote:

Anything I forgot?

IAD on UA will be at 200% pre-covid capacity (2 daily flights) in June. Also, AS has been operating PDX-BUR for most of the pandemic.

I still struggle to see why PHL-PDX cannot work on either AA or AS given the new OneWorld partnership.
Last edited by AC4500 on Fri May 28, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AC4500

Fri May 28, 2021 8:03 pm

flyoregon wrote:
Does anyone know, anecdotally, how Allegiant is doing at PDX so far?

Looking at the seat maps for Allegiant's inaugural GRR-PDX / PDX-GRR schedule, a lot more seats appear to be filled than I would have initially thought. That also doesn't account for the fact that most G4 passengers don't choose their seats ahead of time.

ooslc

Sat May 29, 2021 7:36 pm

lhpdx wrote:
Does anyone know how long PDX south runway will be closed?

Wasn't for very long. It's open today now. Wonder what they were doing. Inspections?

RWA380

Sat May 29, 2021 10:44 pm

jbpdx wrote:

Anything I forgot?

PDX has added a carrier with G4 & obtained a new International route by a major carrier with PDX-ICN & CX cargo has been increasing services as demand skyrockets for air cargo. While most of the routes will return, SY will not have a hub here, but that was troubled from the onset of the concept, they tried some routes we'll see other carriers start up like SAT or BNA.

We also have a new airline on the West Coast & that carrier is starting with three Oregon destinations MFR, EUG & RDM, that is huge, especially since RDM is my hometown airport for this part of my life. Luckily AS is hunkered down here in RDM offering 5 hub n/s service. SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX & SEA which they compete with DL on.

With UA, DL, AA, G4 & now XP, in addition to the aforementioned AS cities, we get n/s service to ORD, DEN, SLC, BUR, LAS & PHX/AZA. I expect DFW soon on an AA E-175, not bad for a booming small high desert town.

jbpdx

Sun May 30, 2021 6:20 pm

Volaris GDL-PDX (Y4 956) diverted to Las Vegas.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VOI956

sprxUSA

Mon May 31, 2021 1:55 am

I saw a news story of Boutique ending RDM 5/31, yet Boutique's schedule has it down to 1 flight eff 5/27. I would seem to trust news more so than 4B LOL. I am amazed it has lasted this long. They suck at trying non-EAS routes it seems.

AC4500

Mon May 31, 2021 6:48 pm

In July, DL is scheduling 2 of 3 daily MSP-PDX flights on the A330-300. I wonder if one of these will be permanent once ICN-PDX starts (although ICN-PDX is on the A332).

Also, all three ATL-PDX flights will be on 767s in July.

RWA380

Mon May 31, 2021 11:19 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
I saw a news story of Boutique ending RDM 5/31, yet Boutique's schedule has it down to 1 flight eff 5/27. I would seem to trust news more so than 4B LOL. I am amazed it has lasted this long. They suck at trying non-EAS routes it seems.

I live near RDM & zero advertising, not once have I even seen an ad or billboard mentioning 4B service to PDX. Their fares are just as high as AS, but both only fly once a day. 4B would pick up traffic at $99.00 a direction & always in the winter time it's easier to fly than drive over 4,000 ft mountain passes to get into the Valley. I am surprised too they lasted this long. Another airline gone from here. Sigh.

RWA380

Mon May 31, 2021 11:22 pm

AC4500 wrote:
In July, DL is scheduling 2 of 3 daily MSP-PDX flights on the A330-300. I wonder if one of these will be permanent once ICN-PDX starts (although ICN-PDX is on the A332).

Also, all three ATL-PDX flights will be on 767s in July.

Got to use those widebodies someplace. I read an article about the long boarding & deplaning times for domestic turns on W/B aircraft, a few good reasons airlines stopped using them domestically for the most part. I loved flying the M11's on DL out of PDX. I can almost be sure than the A-332 to ICN, will route to ATL or MSP. Unless DL starts flying the 332 to another point in the US from ICN.

AC4500

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:34 am

RWA380 wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:

I live near RDM & zero advertising, not once have I even seen an ad or billboard mentioning 4B service to PDX. Their fares are just as high as AS, but both only fly once a day. 4B would pick up traffic at $99.00 a direction & always in the winter time it's easier to fly than drive over 4,000 ft mountain passes to get into the Valley. I am surprised too they lasted this long. Another airline gone from here. Sigh.

That's too bad. For a while I thought they had significantly cheaper fares than AS.

I imagine that 4B probably doesn't have the budget for strong advertising campaigns. All of their routes rely on federal grants to break-even, so the lack of advertising isn't really all that surprising.

Does anyone know what ever happened to EUG-PDX and why it never started up? I feel like that would have been a much more successful route for them, given that AS has suspended this route for more than a year now.

RWA380

Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:02 am

AC4500 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:

That's too bad. For a while I thought they had significantly cheaper fares than AS.

I imagine that 4B probably doesn't have the budget for strong advertising campaigns. All of their routes rely on federal grants to break-even, so the lack of advertising isn't really all that surprising.

Does anyone know what ever happened to EUG-PDX and why it never started up? I feel like that would have been a much more successful route for them, given that AS has suspended this route for more than a year now.

Never say never, but I'll be surprised if EUG comes back to the Portland roster. There is likely only airline employee traffic going standby & whatever connection can't be made via SEA. This is what has happened to RDM. But with RDM, there is a few seats locally sold for the segment due to the driving conditions & I'm one who will do this. It has been near being chopped before, this is where airlines really cut dead wood.

REDHL

Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:26 pm

Attention to all PDX spotters.

I just got the word of a friend of mine that one of CM's MAX 9 (registration HP-9906CMP) is flying now from PTY to PDX for painting reasons. I just checked FR24 y can confirm is on its way:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/cm9906

Its expected to land in PDX at 11:05 AM (local time)
Regards!

metaldirtnskin

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:22 pm

RWA380 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Never say never, but I'll be surprised if EUG comes back to the Portland roster. There is likely only airline employee traffic going standby & whatever connection can't be made via SEA. This is what has happened to RDM. But with RDM, there is a few seats locally sold for the segment due to the driving conditions & I'm one who will do this. It has been near being chopped before, this is where airlines really cut dead wood.

I agree EUG-PDX never made sense except as a hub connection (and not even much sense in that case, serving only PDX and SEA). EUG might not be booming in quite the same way as Bend, but the days of just a paltry few connection options are over and it's been great to see all the service adds at the secondary Oregon airports.

Though I admit I'm still curious what made 4B announce the route(s) and then change their mind before even starting. Do I remember correctly that they also were planning RDM-EUG?

sprxUSA

Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:43 am

No on EUG RDM. They probably had so little interest in PDX EUG just can it. LOL at least CNM-ELP started. Lasted a month or so. The person in charge of picking at risk routes leaves a lot to be desired

flyoregon

Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:38 am

sprxUSA wrote:
No on EUG RDM. They probably had so little interest in PDX EUG just can it. LOL at least CNM-ELP started. Lasted a month or so. The person in charge of picking at risk routes leaves a lot to be desired

Boutique is a joke of an airline and a total sham. The owner is a moron and a money grabbing crook who cuts captain salaries during COVID and lines his pockets with cash. I hear pilots are jumping ship faster than Oprah on a baked ham at that place.

Wneast

Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:40 pm

WN also is starting PDX-PSP

AC4500

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:13 pm

ANA787 wrote:

Great adds by AS. If the upward trend in new destinations continues, I bet we'll see BNA and SAT nonstops by summer 2022. Maybe they could also try STL, OMA and MKE again as well.

lhpdx

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:22 pm

ANA787 wrote:

This is wonderful news and long overdue...........

flyoregon

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:33 pm

lhpdx wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

WAY overdue on both. Now if we could just get BNA and SAT and an Allegiant add to PVU would be nice.

AC4500

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 pm

flyoregon wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

WAY overdue on both. Now if we could just get BNA and SAT and an Allegiant add to PVU would be nice.

If Sun Country could fill 50-75% of a 737-800 for 4x weekly PDX-BNA, than AS could easily make that 80-95%.

lhpdx

Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:39 pm

lhpdx wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

It's kind of neat that it all coincides with the opening of the new CC-B!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos