Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gatibosgru

Re: AA to cancel MIA-MVD?

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:38 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Antarius wrote:

They did put lay flats in the 763 later. They were the thompson vantage ones with the alternating 1-2-1 config.

However, there still was no IFE and the dispatch reliability was ghastly. The 767 was a great plane as evidenced by so many worldwide operators, but AA somehow managed to make them run like a pre bankrupcy GMC.

At risk of beating a dead horse, DL's 763s are lovely inside (in both J and Y) and their dispatch reliability isn't appreciably different from DL's other older widebodies. This is/was exclusively an AA issue.

Very true, to a point. Delta spent a great deal of money (and rightly so) in the late 2000s to overhaul all of its 767-300ER's nose to tail, and they have stood up very well. United essentially did the same with its smaller 767-300ER fleet. The Delta One seats though on the 767-300ER have not aged well and are a more than a little cramped and tight. United's fully Polaris'd 767-300ERs are really nice. American very much under-invested in its 767s for two decades. The plane was really the workhorse of the fleet from the early 1990s onward and was the only other long haul plane alongside the DC10-30s and MD11's and then later alongside the 777-200s. They flew everywhere in the system and had racked up high cycles. The economy cabins changed little since they were delivered other than seat coverings and cabin wall design. The only exception were 9 purchased after the TWA acquisition to replace the leased TWA 763s which, due to TW's poor credit rating, were leased at a premium and were also a hodge-podge of different aircraft. The 9 new 767s AA bought all had the 777 style cabin interior nose to tail (Boeing Signature for that time, as they were built and delivered in 2002-2003). I think one of those newer 763s was lost at ORD due to the fire that broke out as the plane was taxiing or taking off and that frame was written off. The pre-renovation AA 772's were also dingy inside, with bad lighting, dated cabins, and a very spartan feel but here, AA spent a lot for good reason and upgraded them nicely.

I never understood why AA didn't do what DL and UA did with their 763s

wenders825

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:47 pm

dcajet wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

The way things stand today it will be only as long as their trip is from December to March. Otherwise, a connection at either EZE, GRU, SCL or PTY will be called for.

It is not going seasonal on a permanent basis.

Certainly that is the desired outcome but given the current environment I would not hold my breath. MVD is a highly seasonal destination and only makes money during the southern summer peak season, and the 777 is simply too big for daily year round operations at MVD. The flight would be an ideal candidate for the A321XLR.

no. the flight has a solid enough load factor and cargo is a very major factor on this one, as it's the only USA-Uruguay link. 321 is too little plane

OB1504

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:53 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Antarius wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Indeed. Well, AA's 767-300ER's have been gone since April 2020 when the remaining ones were retired. American did little to invest in the planes, except for a "done on the cheap" overhaul of the business class cabin, starting in the mid-2000s with those awful, angled seats and 777-style cabin architecture that it did not extend to the main cabin and then installed throne seats in the final cabin product on in business class. The AA 767 had a terrible dispatch reliability rate. The 767 itself is a great airplane but it was one of if not the worst plane in the AA fleet for the last decade or more.

They did put lay flats in the 763 later. They were the thompson vantage ones with the alternating 1-2-1 config.

However, there still was no IFE and the dispatch reliability was ghastly. The 767 was a great plane as evidenced by so many worldwide operators, but AA somehow managed to make them run like a pre bankrupcy GMC.

At risk of beating a dead horse, DL's 763s are lovely inside (in both J and Y) and their dispatch reliability isn't appreciably different from DL's other older widebodies. This is/was exclusively an AA issue.

AA managed to have a similar issue with their A300 fleet in their final years of service too.

BoeingGuy wrote:
stl07 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Indeed. Well, AA's 767-300ER's have been gone since April 2020 when the remaining ones were retired. American did little to invest in the planes, except for a "done on the cheap" overhaul of the business class cabin, starting in the mid-2000s with those awful, angled seats and 777-style cabin architecture that it did not extend to the main cabin and then installed throne seats in the final cabin product on in business class. The AA 767 had a terrible dispatch reliability rate. The 767 itself is a great airplane but it was one of if not the worst plane in the AA fleet for the last decade or more.

I always loved getting onto a plane in Europe and realizing I would be on a long flight with no personal IFE on AAs 767s.

I’m sorry you had to suffer so much. I have also flown AA’s 767s over long haul without issues. There is this really cool form of IFE. Never breaks down and it’s easy to carry on. It’s made of paper and has words on it. Great way to pass the time on a long flight.

The existence of books doesn't change how insanely uncompetitive the economy hard product was for a full service carrier in 2020.

gatibosgru wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Very true, to a point. Delta spent a great deal of money (and rightly so) in the late 2000s to overhaul all of its 767-300ER's nose to tail, and they have stood up very well. United essentially did the same with its smaller 767-300ER fleet. The Delta One seats though on the 767-300ER have not aged well and are a more than a little cramped and tight. United's fully Polaris'd 767-300ERs are really nice. American very much under-invested in its 767s for two decades. The plane was really the workhorse of the fleet from the early 1990s onward and was the only other long haul plane alongside the DC10-30s and MD11's and then later alongside the 777-200s. They flew everywhere in the system and had racked up high cycles. The economy cabins changed little since they were delivered other than seat coverings and cabin wall design. The only exception were 9 purchased after the TWA acquisition to replace the leased TWA 763s which, due to TW's poor credit rating, were leased at a premium and were also a hodge-podge of different aircraft. The 9 new 767s AA bought all had the 777 style cabin interior nose to tail (Boeing Signature for that time, as they were built and delivered in 2002-2003). I think one of those newer 763s was lost at ORD due to the fire that broke out as the plane was taxiing or taking off and that frame was written off. The pre-renovation AA 772's were also dingy inside, with bad lighting, dated cabins, and a very spartan feel but here, AA spent a lot for good reason and upgraded them nicely.

Cheaper. It was always amusing boarding an AA 767 and stepping back in time 20 years when going from the premium to the main cabin.

Antarius

Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:06 pm

wenders825 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Certainly that is the desired outcome but given the current environment I would not hold my breath. MVD is a highly seasonal destination and only makes money during the southern summer peak season, and the 777 is simply too big for daily year round operations at MVD. The flight would be an ideal candidate for the A321XLR.

no. the flight has a solid enough load factor and cargo is a very major factor on this one, as it's the only USA-Uruguay link. 321 is too little plane

Maybe. the flight is seasonal now, so clearly it isn't profitable enough to fly it year round.

MAH4546

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:05 pm

Antarius wrote:
wenders825 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Maybe. the flight is seasonal now, so clearly it isn't profitable enough to fly it year round.

Again, as mentioned multiple times, the flight is not seasonal. It is just not operating for summer 2021.

dcajet wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

The way things stand today it will be only as long as their trip is from December to March. Otherwise, a connection at either EZE, GRU, SCL or PTY will be called for.

It's perfect for the 787-8. Pre-COVID, MIAMVD was actually going to be the first 787 route from Miami. It was supposed to launch in January 2021.

Antarius

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:15 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
wenders825 wrote:

Again, as mentioned multiple times, the flight is not seasonal. It is just not operating for summer 2021.

Which makes it seasonal now.

If it comes back and it remains permanent, then we can revisit it. I don't think anyone can say for certain that the flight will operate in summer 2022.

ContinentalEWR

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:48 pm

OB1504 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Antarius wrote:

AA managed to have a similar issue with their A300 fleet in their final years of service too.

Not to the same extent. The A300s were delivered from 1988 onwards, and some were upgraded for TATL service from JFK and BOS to LHR and ORY then CDG but spent most of their existence flying out of JFK and MIA to the Caribbean, Central America, and Northern Latin America routes, were huge cargo haulers, and were not quite in the poor state the 763s were toward the end of their existence, when the A300 left the fleet in 2009.

BoeingGuy wrote:
stl07 wrote:
I always loved getting onto a plane in Europe and realizing I would be on a long flight with no personal IFE on AAs 767s.

I’m sorry you had to suffer so much. I have also flown AA’s 767s over long haul without issues. There is this really cool form of IFE. Never breaks down and it’s easy to carry on. It’s made of paper and has words on it. Great way to pass the time on a long flight.

The existence of books doesn't change how insanely uncompetitive the economy hard product was for a full service carrier in 2020.

gatibosgru wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Cheaper. It was always amusing boarding an AA 767 and stepping back in time 20 years when going from the premium to the main cabin.

dcajet

Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:46 am

MAH4546 wrote:

Sorry, but even AA is calling it "seasonal"

South America

Flights to Montevideo, Uruguay (MVD) from Miami (MIA) will become seasonal, with service ending in May and resuming in December.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

MAH4546

Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:40 am

dcajet wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

South America

Flights to Montevideo, Uruguay (MVD) from Miami (MIA) will become seasonal, with service ending in May and resuming in December.

They are not. That is from March 2020. American Airlines did convert it to seasonal at the start of COVID. Then reversed that decision in September 2020 and actually moved forward the relaunch to the end of October 2020, and had it bookable year-round. Now with the recovery continuing to look bleak, it will temporarily be suspended once again for summer. Montevideo is a market AA has flown in for three decades, and non-stop since 2004. It's always been a strong performer, limited competition and relatively wealthy market in Uruguay.

Semantics at this point. Let’s see what happens. I have zero doubt that it will be year-round in 2022 if the market is in recovery mode then. And this route will not be operated by an A321LR. It’s a terrible candidate for that.

Antarius

Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:14 am

MAH4546 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

South America

They are not. That is from March 2020. American Airlines did convert it to seasonal at the start of COVID. Then reversed that decision in September 2020 and actually moved forward the relaunch to the end of October 2020, and had it bookable year-round. Now with the recovery continuing to look bleak, it will temporarily be suspended once again for summer. Montevideo is a market AA has flown in for three decades, and non-stop since 2004. It's always been a strong performer, limited competition and relatively wealthy market in Uruguay.

Semantics at this point. Let’s see what happens. I have zero doubt that it will be year-round in 2022 if the market is in recovery mode then. And this route will not be operated by an A321LR. It’s a terrible candidate for that.

Again, unless you can point to a scheduled return in summer 2022, the flight is seasonal at this time.

Everything else is an opinion or interpretation. But the facts don't bear out anything but the seasonal status. Long term, I also agree that MVD will return year round, but I don't know when that will be.

MAH4546

Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:12 am

Antarius wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Again, unless you can point to a scheduled return in summer 2022, the flight is seasonal at this time.

Everything else is an opinion or interpretation. But the facts don't bear out anything but the seasonal status. Long term, I also agree that MVD will return year round, but I don't know when that will be.

Internally it’s being called a temporary suspension, not a downgrade to seasonal, so yeah, I can point to that. It’s not an opinion. Whether traffic in 2022 picks up enough that the plan will actually happen who knows. AA doesn’t even know what it will operate in April 2021 right now. But Coke May when the April 2022 schedules start appearing, you will see that MIAMVD continues past winter.

Boof02671

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:21 pm

American Airlines is bringing back the option of pre-order meals on transcontinental flights, as well as its services between the mainland US and Hawaii. From February 10th, the airline will offer meals on select services with ordering available up to 24 hours before the flight takes off.

https://simpleflying.com/american-airli ... der-meals/

N62NA

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:42 am

Boof02671 wrote:
American Airlines is bringing back the option of pre-order meals on transcontinental flights, as well as its services between the mainland US and Hawaii. From February 10th, the airline will offer meals on select services with ordering available up to 24 hours before the flight takes off.

I'm surprised MIA-LAX is excluded.

Boof02671

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:57 am

N62NA wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Why? It’s a transcon.

spinotter

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:37 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
N62NA wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Why? It’s a transcon.

Exactly. Then why exclude it?

MIflyer12

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:19 pm

N62NA wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Less non-stop competition. Competition does still matter with respect to prices and services in domestic traffic. Maybe B6 Mint from FLL/MIA will smoke them out but I'm not going to bet my money on it.

tphuang

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:42 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
N62NA wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Less non-stop competition. Competition does still matter with respect to prices and services in domestic traffic. Maybe B6 Mint from FLL/MIA will smoke them out but I'm not going to bet my money on it.

mint has had a pretty strong affect on AA's performance here pre-COVID. Their entrance into MIA-LAX caused AA to put more widebodies on the route. It's kind of puzzling to see AA not include MIA-LAX here.

As an additional point, JetBlue is running 7x between FLL/PBI/MIA-LAX in March and AA is at 4x (although all 777s). Quite a departure from 3 years ago when JetBlue was running 2 flights a day and AA was at 9x daily
Last edited by tphuang on Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAH4546

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:45 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
N62NA wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Huh? Up to six airlines fly between South Florida and LA,m. AA is not serving meals on domestic flights except for Hawaii and three other routes, JFKLAX, MIALAX and JFKSFO, so yes, it’s a little odd that MIALAX is excluded when it still has meal service.

Speaking of JetBlue Mint: JetBlue will be flying more daily Mint flights between LAX and Miami’s airports than between LAX and New York’s airports starting next week. South Florida-Los Angeles is JetBlue single biggest Mint market right now in terms of capacity.

Boof02671

Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:29 pm

You still get a meal in MIA-LAX in first class.

dcajet

Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:44 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
dcajet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Looks like a number of JFK long hauls (aside from the recently announced TLV and ATH routes) resume from the end of March, as of now, but obviously very much subject to change and in the pandemic world, 2 months away is an eternity where a lot can change quickly. JFK-EZE is a profitable route for AA for a number of reasons. Carries a ton of cargo and always has had strong point of sales for itineraries originating in the US and in Argentina. AA has been the constant in the market, even through economic crises, whereas AR has come and gone, DL was short-lived, and UA has been very much on and off since moving it to EWR from IAD in 2013.

AA pretty much owns the Argentina - US market (and the lucrative business traveler); they have a strong local connection (which includes locally based cabin crew), AAdvantage partnerships with local banks, strong cargo demand on both ends of all routes and a reputation for consistency and reliability, particularly when compared to AR. Incidentally, AR has postponed its return to JFK until June.

Very true. AA has a crew base at EZE and performs some light maintenance and deep cleaning on the 77W and 772s there. At peak, there are 3 x daily to MIA, and one daily to DFW and JFK and 3-4 weekly to LAX. Have flown JFK-EZE-JFK many, many times and it always goes out full for the most part and carries a ton of cargo. Flew it in 2018 after the holidays in early January of that year and for 2 weeks JFK-EZE had been upgraded to the 77W.

American Airlines, which already regionally manages its deep South America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Uruguay) operations from the Buenos Aires office is hiring more staff at the Buenos Aires CTYO, which I believe handles regional phone reservations as well. American also has 3 city ticket offices in the Greater BA area and one in Cordoba.

Representative, Reservations Sales – Argentina EZE
Date: Feb 3, 2021
Requisition ID: 40565

Intro

Are you ready to explore a world of possibilities, both at work and during your time off? Join our American Airlines family, and you’ll travel the world, grow your expertise and become the best version of you. As you embark on a new journey, you’ll tackle challenges with flexibility and grace, learning new skills and advancing your career while having the time of your life. Feel free to enrich both your personal and work life and hop on board!

Why you’ll love this job

The Reservations Representative Sales sells American Airlines service to prospective customers by answering incoming calls and assisting customers in reaching satisfactory solution to their travel needs.

What you’ll do

Apply Sales techniques, while providing scheduling, fare and fly information to our customers in a manner that meets the basic training and normal guidelines.
Representatives are cross-trained to process domestic/international sales calls, including Aadvantage products.
Must display a high level of professionalism, friendliness and composure when dealing with customer including the ability to interpret and resolve customer needs.
In addition, the sales and service representative will respond to caller inquires in our non-airline related ventures, in different markets, as call volumes dictate.
All functions are performed within certain time constraints that are based on the average talk and work times of fellow employees.
All you’ll need for success

Minimum Qualifications- Education & Prior Job Experience

HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA.
ABILITY TO WORK A VARIETY OF SHIFTS ACCORDING TO OPERATIONAL NEEDS FROM MORNINGS TO NIGHTS.
5×2 WORKING SCHEDULE INCLUDING WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS – PART-TIME POSITION (5 ½ HOURS)
ABILITY TO EFFECTIVELY COMMUNIATE BOTH VERBALLY AND WRITTEN WITHIN ALL LEVELS IN THE ORGANIZATION
ABILITY TO FLUENTLY READ, WRITE, SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND BOTH SPANISH AND ENGLISH LANGUAGES.
PREFERRED: ABILITY TO READ, WRITE, SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND PORTUGUESE LANGUAGE.
EXCELLENT ATTENDANCE REQUIRED.
PUBLIC COMMUNICATION SKILLS, REQUIRED.
OPERATION OF COMPUTER TERMINAL AND STANDARD PC KEYBOARD REQUIRED.
What you’ll get

Feel free to take advantage of all that American Airlines has to offer:

Travel Perks: Ready to explore the world? You, your family and your friends can reach 365 destinations on more than 6,800 daily flights across our global network.

Job Level:

ALL CANDIDATES MUST HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK AND LIVE IN ARGENTINA AT TIME OF APPLYING.

ahj2000

Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:30 pm

dcajet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
dcajet wrote:

AA pretty much owns the Argentina - US market (and the lucrative business traveler); they have a strong local connection (which includes locally based cabin crew), AAdvantage partnerships with local banks, strong cargo demand on both ends of all routes and a reputation for consistency and reliability, particularly when compared to AR. Incidentally, AR has postponed its return to JFK until June.

Very true. AA has a crew base at EZE and performs some light maintenance and deep cleaning on the 77W and 772s there. At peak, there are 3 x daily to MIA, and one daily to DFW and JFK and 3-4 weekly to LAX. Have flown JFK-EZE-JFK many, many times and it always goes out full for the most part and carries a ton of cargo. Flew it in 2018 after the holidays in early January of that year and for 2 weeks JFK-EZE had been upgraded to the 77W.

American Airlines, which already regionally manages its deep South America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Uruguay) operations from the Buenos Aires office is hiring more staff at the Buenos Aires CTYO, which I believe handles regional phone reservations as well. American also has 3 city ticket offices in the Greater BA area and one in Cordoba.

Intro

Are you ready to explore a world of possibilities, both at work and during your time off? Join our American Airlines family, and you’ll travel the world, grow your expertise and become the best version of you. As you embark on a new journey, you’ll tackle challenges with flexibility and grace, learning new skills and advancing your career while having the time of your life. Feel free to enrich both your personal and work life and hop on board!

Why you’ll love this job

The Reservations Representative Sales sells American Airlines service to prospective customers by answering incoming calls and assisting customers in reaching satisfactory solution to their travel needs.

What you’ll do

Apply Sales techniques, while providing scheduling, fare and fly information to our customers in a manner that meets the basic training and normal guidelines.
Representatives are cross-trained to process domestic/international sales calls, including Aadvantage products.
Must display a high level of professionalism, friendliness and composure when dealing with customer including the ability to interpret and resolve customer needs.
In addition, the sales and service representative will respond to caller inquires in our non-airline related ventures, in different markets, as call volumes dictate.
All functions are performed within certain time constraints that are based on the average talk and work times of fellow employees.

HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA.
ABILITY TO WORK A VARIETY OF SHIFTS ACCORDING TO OPERATIONAL NEEDS FROM MORNINGS TO NIGHTS.
5×2 WORKING SCHEDULE INCLUDING WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS – PART-TIME POSITION (5 ½ HOURS)
ABILITY TO EFFECTIVELY COMMUNIATE BOTH VERBALLY AND WRITTEN WITHIN ALL LEVELS IN THE ORGANIZATION
ABILITY TO FLUENTLY READ, WRITE, SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND BOTH SPANISH AND ENGLISH LANGUAGES.
What you’ll get

Travel Perks: Ready to explore the world? You, your family and your friends can reach 365 destinations on more than 6,800 daily flights across our global network.

Job Level:

ALL CANDIDATES MUST HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK AND LIVE IN ARGENTINA AT TIME OF APPLYING.

Do they still have that Córdoba office? It seems that they aren’t selling any Córdoba flights at all right now-the direct is gone and LATAM’s connections are gone.

dcajet

Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:51 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Intro

Why you’ll love this job

What you’ll do

HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA.
What you’ll get

Job Level:

Do they still have that Córdoba office? It seems that they aren’t selling any Córdoba flights at all right now-the direct is gone and LATAM’s connections are gone.

American still shows it as open. Now I don't know the exact operating status due to the pandemic.

N62NA

Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:54 am

Boof02671 wrote:

You are missing the point. AA is bringing back the ability to PRE-RESERVE meals on the "Flagship" routes JFK-LAX/SFO. MIA-LAX is a "Flagship" route on the 777s that they fly on that route, but they are NOT bringing back the ability to PRE-RESERVE meals on MIA-LAX.

alasizon

Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:27 am

deltairlines wrote:

At American, their business unit for it is MCLA - Miami/Caribbean/Latin America. GEO and STT both fall in the MCLA category.

Point of clarification - MCLA stands for Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America, not Miami.

BoeingGuy

Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:59 am

alasizon wrote:
deltairlines wrote:

At American, their business unit for it is MCLA - Miami/Caribbean/Latin America. GEO and STT both fall in the MCLA category.

Point of clarification - MCLA stands for Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America, not Miami.

I assume in that context Latin America means Central America and South America. So MCLA is everything south of the US border, in effect.

ContinentalEWR

Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:01 pm

N62NA wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

You are missing the point. AA is bringing back the ability to PRE-RESERVE meals on the "Flagship" routes JFK-LAX/SFO. MIA-LAX is a "Flagship" route on the 777s that they fly on that route, but they are NOT bringing back the ability to PRE-RESERVE meals on MIA-LAX.

is MIA-LAX a "flagship" route though? Yes, on a 77W Flagship First is available, and it is a high profile route for AA I suppose, but it is also a hub to hub sort of route for AA and is served (at least now, 2 x A321, 2 x 777 (one 2 and one 3). Haven't flown it in a while and so don't know, although in December 2019 and January 2020, it was flown with the A321T shifted from JFK on one or two frequencies as demand for premium cabins out of JFK typically drops during the holidays, but not sure what the qualifier is for Flagship Route and perhaps its a cost saving move. Before the pandemic, I noticed pre-ordering of meals was not always a thing on some routes vs. others. Always an option on TATL, TPAC, etc...and JFK-LAX/SFO and a few other higher profile transcons but it never seemed to be a standard.

MAH4546

Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:44 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
N62NA wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

is MIA-LAX a "flagship" route though? Yes, on a 77W Flagship First is available, and it is a high profile route for AA I suppose, but it is also a hub to hub sort of route for AA and is served (at least now, 2 x A321, 2 x 777 (one 2 and one 3). Haven't flown it in a while and so don't know, although in December 2019 and January 2020, it was flown with the A321T shifted from JFK on one or two frequencies as demand for premium cabins out of JFK typically drops during the holidays, but not sure what the qualifier is for Flagship Route and perhaps its a cost saving move. Before the pandemic, I noticed pre-ordering of meals was not always a thing on some routes vs. others. Always an option on TATL, TPAC, etc...and JFK-LAX/SFO and a few other higher profile transcons but it never seemed to be a standard.

It receives the same enhanced domestic catering as JFKLAX/SFO. It’s the only other domestic flight that gets that. And lounge access on select flights.

Precovid there was no variance on preordering AA meals. If it was an AA flight and there was a meal choice, you could preorder, even American Eagle.

USAirALB

Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:26 pm

AA is extending CLT-JAC/BZN for this Summer season and adding a daily seasonal CLT-RNO flight through early September.

washingtonflyer

Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:25 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
N62NA wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

The 77W flight is denoted as Flagship. I flew it back in December and it was a very nice flight. Only issue is that the catering comes out with one meal service at once as opposed to in stages (courses).

avi8

Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:59 pm

Does anyone know when we will start seeing AA MAX flights outside of MIA?

MAH4546

Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:37 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
N62NA wrote:

The 77W flight is denoted as Flagship. I flew it back in December and it was a very nice flight. Only issue is that the catering comes out with one meal service at once as opposed to in stages (courses).

That’s all AA flights right now on all routes. And I’m guessing most other airlines, too.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:55 pm

Saturday-only AUS-MCO extended from April 3 to May 1

MAH4546

AA launching MIA-TLV/PBM/LIT

Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:58 pm

Just announced at a press conference at MIA. Service begins this summer to Tel Aviv, Paramaribo and Little Rock. Also announced Portland, Maine going year-round.
Last edited by MAH4546 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Re: AA launching MIA-TLV/PBM/LIT

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:00 pm

That's amazing. Gotta love how MIA/JFK-TLV are now set to launch before DFW-TLV.

In the stream, Vasu Raja said Portland, Maine. Not new, so not sure what's up with that.

ATLgaUSA

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:11 pm

Ishrion wrote:
That's amazing. Gotta love how MIA/JFK-TLV are now set to launch before DFW-TLV.

In the stream, Vasu Raja said Portland, Maine. Not new, so not sure what's up with that.

I'd imagine there is significantly more demand between MIA & TLV than exists between DFW & TLV.

Brickell305

Re: AA launching MIA-TLV/PBM/LIT/PDX

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:13 pm

That’s huge. Glad to see AA finally move on MIA-TLV and PBM. I’m sure the success of MIA-GEO led them to explore PBM more seriously. Do they even need the DFW-TLV flight anymore?

MAH4546

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:15 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Good to know. Not new, but going from a Saturday winter service to a daily year round.
Last edited by MAH4546 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antarius

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:16 pm

Wow. Did not expect this

ABEguy

Re: AA launching MIA-TLV/PBM/LIT/PDX

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:36 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
That’s huge. Glad to see AA finally move on MIA-TLV and PBM. I’m sure the success of MIA-GEO led them to explore PBM more seriously. Do they even need the DFW-TLV flight anymore?

If memory serves, DFW-TLV was explained as a great connection point for Mexico traffic. Lots of Catholics.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:37 pm

Looks like DFW-SXM/MID/UVF are set to be announced as well.

MIA-TLV starts in June... and DFW is getting moved up to June? Not sure if that's a mistake.

Behind a paywall: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... er-travel/

tphuang

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:55 pm

Based on my very uneducated guess, MIA-TLV seems like a route with demand. Any idea why this did not exist before? Was the demand not as high as say ORD-TLV?

Corpsnerd09

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:59 pm

What happened to "we can't make money on TLV" and now they got 3 flights a day during the biggest travel downturn in history?

MAH4546

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:02 pm

tphuang wrote:
Based on my very uneducated guess, MIA-TLV seems like a route with demand. Any idea why this did not exist before? Was the demand not as high as say ORD-TLV?

It’s significantly larger local market than ORDTLV. El Al already flies it (and when El Al resumed flying in October, Miami was one of the initial five routes).

Ishrion
Topic Author

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:03 pm

Wow. CLT-AZS and LAX-CUN.

MIA-TLV begins June 4 with the 777-200ER

Absolutely amazing.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2 ... fault.aspx
Last edited by Ishrion on Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAH4546

Corpsnerd09 wrote:
What happened to "we can't make money on TLV" and now they got 3 flights a day during the biggest travel downturn in history?

Israel demand has remained far more healthy than elsewhere, so airlines sending money where the cash flow is.

Corpsnerd09

MAH4546 wrote:
Corpsnerd09 wrote:

Israel demand has remained far more healthy than elsewhere, so airlines sending money where the cash flow is.

Thanks for the answer, that makes sense.

USAirALB

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:11 pm

CLT-AZS is odd. Who are they catering the flight to, especially if it’s a new destination and not already served from MIA?

They are also starting CLT-RNO which hasn’t been discussed in the press release.
Last edited by USAirALB on Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAH4546

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:13 pm

USAirALB wrote:
CLT-AZS is odd. Who are they catering the flight to, especially if it’s a new destination and not already served from MIA?

They are also starting CLT-BOI which hasn’t been discussed in the press release.

And CLTRNO.

Odd that AZS is from CLT. Prob got a resort contract.

USAirALB

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:14 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

They are also starting CLT-BOI which hasn’t been discussed in the press release.

And CLTRNO.

Odd that AZS is from CLT. Prob got a resort contract.

Correction, editing my post. Meant CLT-RNO not BOI. Don’t think they are adding BOI to my knowledge.

Resort contract was what I was thinking.

ahj2000

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:23 pm

Corpsnerd09 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Corpsnerd09 wrote:

Thanks for the answer, that makes sense.

Not to mention that Israel is on track to be the first to herd immunity, with an astounding amount of vaccinations.

Samaná is also really cool-the first American carrier to Samaná. Bizarre leisure routes from the always cheap CLT are an interesting new idea.