Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Brickell305

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:28 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
AA update on what US cities they plan to use the A321xlrs

https://simpleflying.com/american-airli ... s-a321xlr/

I wouldn't go by what Simple Flying reports. It's often inaccurate, not credible, and almost never well written. The A321XLRs will most likely operate form PHL, JFK, and MIA to start, and I don't see much use for them at ORD or CLT, as Simple Flying reports. CLT is such a massive hub, that it can fill 787s and 777s well. Same goes for ORD, which though a lot smaller than CLT, has the feed to fill a 787. I could see the 321XLR perhaps used in the winter to a few European destinations but that seems unlikely.

CLT can fill those in summer maybe but what about other times of year when they drop Euro routes from CLT with the exception of LHR and Germany?Maybe that's where a narrow body that can cross the Atlantic would be useful.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:55 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I wouldn't go by what Simple Flying reports. It's often inaccurate, not credible, and almost never well written. The A321XLRs will most likely operate form PHL, JFK, and MIA to start, and I don't see much use for them at ORD or CLT, as Simple Flying reports. CLT is such a massive hub, that it can fill 787s and 777s well. Same goes for ORD, which though a lot smaller than CLT, has the feed to fill a 787. I could see the 321XLR perhaps used in the winter to a few European destinations but that seems unlikely.

Is there even anything new here? I thought it was obvious AA's plan is to put the XLRs on TATL flights as they've been mentioning it since the day they ordered the 50 aircraft.

Although, I can't remember them talking about BOS TATL flights with the XLRs.

Brickell305 wrote:
CLT can fill those in summer maybe but what about other times of year when they drop Euro routes from CLT with the exception of LHR and Germany?Maybe that's where a narrow body that can cross the Atlantic would be useful.

This. Vasu Raja pre-COVID even mentioned extending CLT-MAD through the winter with the A321XLR: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/20 ... 0eecd7759d

Looking farther ahead, Raja said that deliveries of Airbus A 321XLR aircraft to American, slated to begin in 2023, will allow for expanded international service from Charlotte. The A321XLR will be the longest-range narrowbody aircraft, usable on long-haul routes that may not have enough traffic to fill bigger aircraft.

“It’s hard for us to fit more widebodies into Charlotte without blocking (gates) and clogging customs,” Raja said. “With the 321XLR we can grow internationally and use the same gates that a 321 does. In Charlotte, so many gates are specific to [smaller] fleet types.”

One international route American is targeting is Charlotte-Madrid, which currently has seasonal summer service but can go to year-round with the 321XLR.
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

TWFlyGuy

Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:25 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I don't see to many A321XLR from JFK because of slots constrains. Probably better off using widebodies at JFK and PHL will be just a reliver hub mostly using A321xlrs.

I would flip that around. AA showed they can provide a premium product in the 321T's. Use that layout (maybe not AS premium heavy in JFK for pure local traffic (777s/787s to LHR & MAD partner hubs) and widebody from PHL to capture connecting traffic.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I don't see to many A321XLR from JFK because of slots constrains. Probably better off using widebodies at JFK and PHL will be just a reliver hub mostly using A321xlrs.

That depends. If AA decides it wants to fly to some TATL out of JFK to places like AMS, BRU, DUB, and the like, where they will have stiff competition from DL, UA (at EWR), EI, etc..but feel the need to serve these markets for corporate contracts, or add frequency on JFK-CDG (back to 2 daily, where it was for a time), then I could see the 321XLR being the plane of choice for those routes. AA flies 777's out of JFK right now to its long haul international destinations for operational simplicity, it has a maintenance base at JFK, but the 777 (200ER or W) are too much plane for a lot of TATL that AA currently does not fly. The 321XLR with its anticipated premium configuration would be perfectly suited for a few JFK routes, including some to deep South America.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:57 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

I would flip that around. AA showed they can provide a premium product in the 321T's. Use that layout (maybe not AS premium heavy in JFK for pure local traffic (777s/787s to LHR & MAD partner hubs) and widebody from PHL to capture connecting traffic.

Yep, that's a good point.

usflyer msp

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:05 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

That depends. If AA decides it wants to fly to some TATL out of JFK to places like AMS, BRU, DUB, and the like, where they will have stiff competition from DL, UA (at EWR), EI, etc..but feel the need to serve these markets for corporate contracts, or add frequency on JFK-CDG (back to 2 daily, where it was for a time), then I could see the 321XLR being the plane of choice for those routes. AA flies 777's out of JFK right now to its long haul international destinations for operational simplicity, it has a maintenance base at JFK, but the 777 (200ER or W) are too much plane for a lot of TATL that AA currently does not fly. The 321XLR with its anticipated premium configuration would be perfectly suited for a few JFK routes, including some to deep South America.

I don't see XLR's ever being used for deep SA flights due to their lack of cargo capacity; that segment is key for SA routes. At least from JFK, I don't see where else in deep SA AA would fly to - they already have all of the big 4, EZE, GIG, SCL and GRU covered.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:11 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

I don't see XLR's ever being used for deep SA flights due to their lack of cargo capacity; that segment is key for SA routes. At least from JFK, I don't see where else in deep SA AA would fly to - they already have all of the big 4, EZE, GIG, SCL and GRU covered.

AA and Vasu Raja have mentioned previously the 321XLR will be used on some South America markets where the 777 and 787 are too much plane. Hard to say exactly where but off-season MIA-MVD, a resumption of MIA-COR, MIA-ASU, could be candidates for it. From JFK, secondary Brazil perhaps and in a few years. It would be a bold move, risky, but only possible with this type of jet. Another JFK possibility though at 10+ hours a long one in a narrow body is JFK-SCL. I don't see this route lasting on the 772. The 787-8 yes, but AA has no crew base at JFK for the Dreamliner so would have to rotate one in which can be operationally complicated.

JohanTally

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:56 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

During normal operations at CLT they can only accommodate about 4 or 5 widebody arrivals due to a lack of gates with customs. LH uses D12 for their MUC flight which leaves D10 D11 D9 and probably D3. D11 and D12 are the only gates that handle wide-bodies without shutting down a neighboring gate. The XLR could use D2 D3 D5 D6 D7 D8 D9 D10 and D13 simultaneously. Eventually CLT will be getting customs on other concourses but most likely after 2025. In past years they would park A330s on D gates quickly offload them and tow them off to the hangar or concourse B for departures which isn't ideal.

CLT704

Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:57 am

JohanTally wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

During normal operations at CLT they can only accommodate about 4 or 5 widebody arrivals due to a lack of gates with customs. LH uses D12 for their MUC flight which leaves D10 D11 D9 and probably D3. D11 and D12 are the only gates that handle wide-bodies without shutting down a neighboring gate. The XLR could use D2 D3 D5 D6 D7 D8 D9 D10 and D13 simultaneously. Eventually CLT will be getting customs on other concourses but most likely after 2025. In past years they would park A330s on D gates quickly offload them and tow them off to the hangar or concourse B for departures which isn't ideal.

D concourse can accommodate a max of 6 widebody arrivals at once. D2X, D5X, D9X, D10X, D11, and D12(LH). Along with the existing hybrid widebody gates on B concourse, AA has modified parts of the A concourse to park widebodies(A4X, A8X, and A12X). Of course, those aren’t FIS capable but it does add some flexibility going forward.

JohanTally

Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:31 am

CLT704 wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

D concourse can accommodate a max of 6 widebody arrivals at once. D2X, D5X, D9X, D10X, D11, and D12(LH). Along with the existing hybrid widebody gates on B concourse, AA has modified parts of the A concourse to park widebodies(A4X, A8X, and A12X). Of course, those aren’t FIS capable but it does add some flexibility going forward.

The A-Con gates definitely do help with departures and could handle along with B-Con flights arriving from locations with preclearance. My point is that the XLR would be a decent fit while D-Con has it's limitations especially with all the X gates referenced which cause a loss of a neighboring gate. During the TATL arrivals we also have Caribbean arrivals that need customs and the XLR could help and also allow a modest Intl expansion.

ABEguy

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:46 am

ContinentalEWR wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

AA and Vasu Raja have mentioned previously the 321XLR will be used on some South America markets where the 777 and 787 are too much plane. Hard to say exactly where but off-season MIA-MVD, a resumption of MIA-COR, MIA-ASU, could be candidates for it. From JFK, secondary Brazil perhaps and in a few years. It would be a bold move, risky, but only possible with this type of jet. Another JFK possibility though at 10+ hours a long one in a narrow body is JFK-SCL. I don't see this route lasting on the 772. The 787-8 yes, but AA has no crew base at JFK for the Dreamliner so would have to rotate one in which can be operationally complicated.

I would guess definitely the cities that have recently been cut from MIA. Such as BSB, VVI, COR could definitely see a return with the XLR.

BarrenLucidity

Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:34 pm

JohanTally wrote:
CLT704 wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

The A-Con gates definitely do help with departures and could handle along with B-Con flights arriving from locations with preclearance. My point is that the XLR would be a decent fit while D-Con has it's limitations especially with all the X gates referenced which cause a loss of a neighboring gate. During the TATL arrivals we also have Caribbean arrivals that need customs and the XLR could help and also allow a modest Intl expansion.

FIS for CLT was going to be expanded but was put on hold with COVID. Considering CLT is back to 2019 levels maybe the customs + D expansion will show back up.

Aliqiout

Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:58 pm

tphuang wrote:
I don't think many of these new AUS routes will last very long. Too much competition on them from LCCs. There is not enough justification to have them when AA is already the dominant legacy carrier there. Force cheap connections through AUS is not a sustainable strategy for an airline with as high cost as AA.

The justification for these flight is to keep DL out. Any that aren't profitable will be dropped when AA either thinks DL has given up on a AUS focus city or that the cost of keeping DL out is too high.

AmericanAir88

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:44 pm

How is AA doing at JFK? Adding back more as travel rebounds?

TropicalSky

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:46 pm

Detroit313

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:50 pm

With such good loads on ORD - ATH and JFK - ATH, they should bring forward the start of PHL - ATH as soon as possible.

Seat1F

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:16 pm

BarrenLucidity wrote:
FIS for CLT was going to be expanded but was put on hold with COVID. Considering CLT is back to 2019 levels maybe the customs + D expansion will show back up.

Keep in mind that international travel to/from the US is still down dramatically compared to 2019. There is no current need for more FIS space at CLT. Time will tell how much international traffic will rebound.

Brickell305

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:22 pm

TropicalSky wrote:

It was announced as a weekly flight during their larger announcement on Austin expansion.

washingtonflyer

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:24 pm

I can think of two issues in play: international travel is down - no question. But its returning - slowly. So the need for new infrastructure is indeed reduced. BUT, where there is good recovery is in the leisure destination market which means that you have a LOT of passengers out there who are infrequent fliers and likely do NOT have Global Entry (certainly not everyone in a family). That means longer lines at traditional CBP inspection points.

TropicalSky

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:37 pm

THANKS I MISSED THIS

Brickell305 wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:

It was announced as a weekly flight during their larger announcement on Austin expansion.

ContinentalEWR

Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:37 am

AmericanAir88 wrote:

TLV, ATH, BOG, and MDE have all launched (TLV stopped for a couple of weeks due to the situation there but has since resumed). FCO is back 3 x per week, CDG, MXP relaunched and were the first two TATL routes added back other than LHR which operated all but December, though 1 x daily, as well as GRU. LHR is still 1 x daily. MAD, BCN due to return later this summer. EZE supposedly is resuming late June but that seems a bit optimistic, as COVID rates in Argentina are high and there is a spat between the US and Argentina on capacity at the moment. Frequencies were upped on LAX and SFO and the 321T is assigned to all LAX flights (it remained on the SFO flights throughout, though was only once a day).

CLO was due to launch, but hasn't. DFW and ORD are also back along with AUS. MIA is all 777s.

None of this is a sign of anything but JFK is supposed to be around 50 flights a day by July. Too early to tell what impact the B6 partnership is having.

I was at T8 last week on my way to SFO. The flight itself was packed. The terminal was a ghost town. Some signage about JetBlue.

For AA to succeed at JFK, there needs to be business travel demand.

dcajet

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:57 am

ContinentalEWR wrote:
AmericanAir88 wrote:

TLV, ATH, BOG, and MDE have all launched (TLV stopped for a couple of weeks due to the situation there but has since resumed). FCO is back 3 x per week, CDG, MXP relaunched and were the first two TATL routes added back other than LHR which operated all but December, though 1 x daily, as well as GRU. LHR is still 1 x daily. MAD, BCN due to return later this summer. EZE supposedly is resuming late June but that seems a bit optimistic, as COVID rates in Argentina are high and there is a spat between the US and Argentina on capacity at the moment. Frequencies were upped on LAX and SFO and the 321T is assigned to all LAX flights (it remained on the SFO flights throughout, though was only once a day).

CLO was due to launch, but hasn't. DFW and ORD are also back along with AUS. MIA is all 777s.

None of this is a sign of anything but JFK is supposed to be around 50 flights a day by July. Too early to tell what impact the B6 partnership is having.

I was at T8 last week on my way to SFO. The flight itself was packed. The terminal was a ghost town. Some signage about JetBlue.

Couple of comments:

* JFK-EZE is confirmed, returns June 15th 4x week: the row with Argentina over capacity was resolved last week. AA got all it asked for

* JFK-GRU is operating only 3x week; as of June 4th was upgauged to the 77W; MIA-GRU was downgauged to the 77E.

* The new JFK-SCL service date of start has been pushed back again until July, 3x w.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

ContinentalEWR

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:15 am

dcajet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
AmericanAir88 wrote:

Couple of comments:

* JFK-EZE is confirmed, returns June 15th 4x week: the row with Argentina over capacity was resolved last week. AA got all it asked for

* JFK-GRU is operating only 3x week; as of June 4th was upgauged to the 77W; MIA-GRU was downgauged to the 77E.

* The new JFK-SCL service date of start has been pushed back again until July, 3x w.

Cool. Thanks. I stopped following the Argentina/US row but glad it was resolved.

dcajet

Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:33 am

ContinentalEWR wrote:
dcajet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Couple of comments:

Cool. Thanks. I stopped following the Argentina/US row but glad it was resolved.

All airlines operating nonstop in the US - Argentina market have increased frequencies since last week, with the exception of Delta that continues to offer a reduced 2x w schedule. A sample of some flights from today, Sunday 6/6

-AR 1303: 240 PAX - 90,57% - MIA A332

-UA 819: 224 PAX - 87,16% - IAH B789

-AA 931: 262 PAX - 86,18% - MIA B77W

-AR 1305: 220 PAX - 83,02% - MIA A332

-DL 101: 146 PAX - 64,6% - ATL B763

-AA 997: 70 PAX - 25,64% - DFW B77E

ContinentalEWR

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:59 pm

dcajet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Couple of comments:

All airlines operating nonstop in the US - Argentina market have increased frequencies since last week, with the exception of Delta that continues to offer a reduced 2x w schedule. A sample of some flights from today, Sunday 6/6

Yes, further up the thread you'll see that someone provided some good background on the agreements reached between the US and Argentina. Although DL and UA offer just one flight in the market to EZE (UA has offered EWR-EZE on and off since 2012***) it is a bit surprising that DL is offering just 2 x weekly frequencies, and on its smallest long haul jet, given that AR is in SkyTeam and some rising demand, though Argentina's current COVID rates are quite high.

**Lots of coverage here on the history of EWR-EZE and the route for UA, which started at JFK, in the 1990s, moved to IAD, then up to EWR, cancelled in 2013, resumed in 2017 and then cancelled again in 2019.

dcajet

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:53 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
dcajet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Yes, further up the thread you'll see that someone provided some good background on the agreements reached between the US and Argentina. Although DL and UA offer just one flight in the market to EZE (UA has offered EWR-EZE on and off since 2012***) it is a bit surprising that DL is offering just 2 x weekly frequencies, and on its smallest long haul jet, given that AR is in SkyTeam and some rising demand, though Argentina's current COVID rates are quite high.

**Lots of coverage here on the history of EWR-EZE and the route for UA, which started at JFK, in the 1990s, moved to IAD, then up to EWR, cancelled in 2013, resumed in 2017 and then cancelled again in 2019.

That was me :)

DL has been shifting equipment often since they restarted service to Buenos Aires in 2020. They have operated with the 764, 763, 333 and 332. In fact until last week it had been operating at EZE with the A332s. Quite erratic.

As you can tell, the demand is to Miami. The rest of the US destinations, scrape by. It appears that the Argentinian obsession with vacationing in Miami has been immune to the pandemic. Lets see how JFK does with the almost total absence of demand from the corporate/financial services segments.

ContinentalEWR

Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:37 pm

dcajet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
dcajet wrote:

That was me :)

DL has been shifting equipment often since they restarted service to Buenos Aires in 2020. They have operated with the 764, 763, 333 and 332. In fact until last week it had been operating at EZE with the A332s. Quite erratic.

As you can tell, the demand is to Miami. The rest of the US destinations, scrape by. It appears that the Argentinian obsession with vacationing in Miami has been immune to the pandemic. Lets see how JFK does with the almost total absence of demand from the corporate/financial services segments.

The challenge for DL on ATL-EZE is that a significant amount of its traffic must be connections. AA has a healthy mix of O&D and connections over MIA (a lot of O&D). JFK has always performed pretty well for AA, even during Argentina's cycles of economic boom and busts. DFW has been all over the place, equipment-wise, pre-COVID and since, with the 788, 789, and 772 being thrown in but DFW is so large, that AA can fill enough pax/cargo to make it all work.

I'm not sure what AR really does for DL, or vice-versa, either pre-COVID or now and it will be interesting to see how that all develops with LATAM and DL in the future. DL's Deep Latin America network trails AA and UA, but it has the benefit of the ATL hub to move a lot of cargo and pax onto singular flights.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:26 pm

14 new Austin routes along with Tampa to RDU/BNA/LAX: https://viewfromthewing.com/american-ai ... om-austin/

E175s on the continental U.S. routes, 738s to LIR/CUN/PVR/SJU.

Nearly 100 daily flights out of Austin with American and its partners.

Genuinely amazing how much they're growing in AUS.

AUS-SJD/NAS also get a frequency boost. NAS upgauges from A319 to 738.

Runway765

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:27 pm

Ishrion wrote:
14 new Austin routes along with Tampa to RDU/BNA/LAX: https://viewfromthewing.com/american-ai ... om-austin/

Where are they going to get the gates for this? AUS is constrained as it is.

BTVB6Flyer

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:31 pm

AUS-TPA also upped to 2x daily

Ishrion wrote:

tphuang

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Runway765 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Well, just because you announced them, doesn't mean you actually have to fly them. I'm sure things will get trimmed along based on bookings.

Runway765

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:33 pm

tphuang wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Well, just because you announced them, doesn't mean you actually have to fly them. I'm sure things will get trimmed along based on bookings.

With DFW literally right up the road, this doesn't make any sense for them to expand like this.

tphuang

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:34 pm

Runway765 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

With DFW literally right up the road, this doesn't make any sense for them to expand like this.

I agree with that. AA's network planning team is making some interesting choices right now. They seem to want to get in a fight with WN (over the entrance into MIA and ORD I presume). It makes me wonder what they plan to do with NK. They only have so many aircraft and pilots.

MAH4546

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:53 pm

tphuang wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I agree with that. AA's network planning team is making some interesting choices right now. They seem to want to get in a fight with WN (over the entrance into MIA and ORD I presume). It makes me wonder what they plan to do with NK. They only have so many aircraft and pilots.

I’m surprised they haven’t announced a reaction to Spirit st MIA. It’s inevitably being announced but surprised we are still waiting.
a.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:56 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

I’m surprised they haven’t announced a reaction to Spirit st MIA. It’s inevitably being announced but surprised we are still waiting.

Likely inevitable. But, it's only Thursday. Spirit announced MIA less than 48 hours ago. They'll need more time. Plus, Spirit hasn't put any of the routes on sale yet.

ERJ170

Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:38 pm

No offense to Austin, but this isn’t sustainable and a temporary measure. Even if they had 15Mil pax, I don’t think many of these will stick for too long. It’s just very over saturated. AA is looking at opportunities but airlines are coming back and these flights just won’t help AA with their bottom line. But I’ll sit back and watch and would love to be proven wrong..
Aiming High and going far..

graham697

Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:58 pm

They're merely trying to defend their turf and kick DL out. Will it succeed.... well time will tell. I do think you're right - once competition in AUS recedes they'll likely slowly drop each unique destination.

southwest1675

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:41 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
No offense to Austin, but this isn’t sustainable and a temporary measure. Even if they had 15Mil pax, I don’t think many of these will stick for too long. It’s just very over saturated. AA is looking at opportunities but airlines are coming back and these flights just won’t help AA with their bottom line. But I’ll sit back and watch and would love to be proven wrong..

Considering most of these flights are on 175s, some of these routes might make it. It’s definitely interesting.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

ERJ170

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:47 pm

I would guess this will probably be then end of the Delta focus city. But I wish them well. But looking at the overall flight capability at AUS, I’m not sure where they are going to find all these passengers.
Aiming High and going far..

AC4500

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Amazing. That's the size of a decent-sized hub, not a focus city.

Jshank83

Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:04 pm

ERJ170 wrote:

With that route map they can run a decent amount of connections, which will help.

AC4500

Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:38 pm

I almost wonder if AA is planning on using AUS to relieve congestion/pressure from their DFW hub.

tphuang

Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:04 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

With that route map they can run a decent amount of connections, which will help.

It's not sustainable to force cheap connection through Austin just to sustain some new routes. That takes away from DFW.

Jshank83

Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:08 pm

tphuang wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

It's not sustainable to force cheap connection through Austin just to sustain some new routes. That takes away from DFW.

Because moving some connections to AUS are really going to hurt DFW? Southwest moves connections all over and they get by fine. Flying a couple flights to AUS instead of an 8th and 9th to DFW might not be the worst thing, especially with Texas weather shutting down DFW at times.

AAtakeMeAway

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:01 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Because moving some connections to AUS are really going to hurt DFW? Southwest moves connections all over and they get by fine. Flying a couple flights to AUS instead of an 8th and 9th to DFW might not be the worst thing, especially with Texas weather shutting down DFW at times.

Interestingly, they're adding two additional daily flights to DFW as part of this announcement.

tphuang

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:06 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Well, there is a reason that aa is trying to build DFW as large as atl. Stuff going through DFW is just very profitable.

Can you think of another case where a small hub has existed next to a fortress hub of the same airline?

Jshank83

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:10 pm

tphuang wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Well, there is a reason that aa is trying to build DFW as large as atl. Stuff going through DFW is just very profitable.

Can you think of another case where a small hub has existed next to a fortress hub of the same airline?

CLT and RDU? (RDU might not be AUS level)
PHL and NYC
EWR and IAD

And just because it didn't work before doesn't mean it won't work now. Nothing says they can't keep building DFW and build AUS also. Like I mentioned before Southwest had done fine making many connecting stations all over the country. You don't need ONLY mega hubs to make money. I think COVID has proved you can find more point to point routes and still do pretty well. Unless you are DL who does nothing.

tphuang

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:16 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

PHL and NYC
EWR and IAD

And just because it didn't work before doesn't mean it won't work now. Nothing says they can't keep building DFW and build AUS also. Like I mentioned before Southwest had done fine making many connecting stations all over the country. You don't need ONLY mega hubs to make money.

Rdu is not a hub.

Aa at nyc has been a disaster.

Ewr and iad are both huge markets that can survive on o&d. Do you think aa can have this many flights survive on o&d when wn also have similar number of flights?

Aa does not have the low costs of wn. It needs to continue to generate revenue premium from large hubs to do well. Competing at lcc yield level by deliberately selling cheap connections is not a sustainable strategy.

flyboy80

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:43 pm

How fluid is the summer international schedule? I’m sure a lot is dependent on country specific travel requirements, but I’ve noticed there seems to be a large increase in flights toward the end of August- perhaps this is a planned increase based on demand and late summer travel bookings?

Jshank83

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:50 pm

tphuang wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

PHL and NYC
EWR and IAD

And just because it didn't work before doesn't mean it won't work now. Nothing says they can't keep building DFW and build AUS also. Like I mentioned before Southwest had done fine making many connecting stations all over the country. You don't need ONLY mega hubs to make money.

Rdu is not a hub.

Aa at nyc has been a disaster.

Ewr and iad are both huge markets that can survive on o&d. Do you think aa can have this many flights survive on o&d when wn also have similar number of flights?

Aa does not have the low costs of wn. It needs to continue to generate revenue premium from large hubs to do well. Competing at lcc yield level by deliberately selling cheap connections is not a sustainable strategy.

Sorry you are right. I have no clue and neither does AA. It obviously will fail and they are just wasting money for no reason. They should probably put you on payroll so you can lead them to the promise land. DFW is king.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos