usflyer msp

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2021

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:50 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

It launched in 2019.

It was a typo.

Do you think AA will launch CLT or DFW-ATH to take on DL ATL-ATH?

If AA were to add a fourth ATH route it would probably be from MIA. To top it off MIAATH might actually have some business traffic thanks to the cruise and shipping industries. It won't be this summer however.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:51 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

It launched in 2019.

It was a typo.

LAX-ATH :stirthepot:
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:07 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

It launched in 2019.

It was a typo.

Doubt it. I think ORD, PHL, and JFK to ATH is all we'll get from AA for the time being. If a further ATH route were added, it would probably be DFW over CLT, but it would be a very long, thin route, clocking in at 12-13 hours.

OlympicATH

Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:10 pm

Ishrion wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

It was a typo.

The largest market is indeed LAX by far. LAX-ATH had 70k pax both ways in 2019 and was the third busiest unserved route out of ATH, behind BOS (77k) and SYD (75k).
That being said, I don't see LAX-ATH happening anytime soon, given 1) it is a long route, 2) ATH is now very well served from the East Coast/ORD/ATL with loads of connection options, 3) LAX is not a transatlantic hub for any carrier (AA only flies LAX-LHR and I doubt ATH would be next on their list).

I think MIA-ATH is extremely unlikely. O&D is minuscule and MIA's transatlantic network largely relies on Latin American connections. ATH doesn't have a lot of ties/traffic with the region, unlike Spain/Italy/TLV (which AA flies to from MIA). The fact that both cities have large cruise ports doesn't mean there is traffic between them (the traffic is between the cruise port and its markets).

I would see DFW or CLT possible in the medium/long term, with the former probably more likely. DFW has AA's biggest transatlantic operation after PHL/JFK/ORD, it is a large population center with demand to Greece in its own right and it will serve Texas/the West which do not have a link to ATH currently. That being said, I would expect AA to launch BCN from DFW before ATH.

CLT less relevant in my view, especially now that DL reinstated ATL-ATH.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:03 pm

OlympicATH wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

The largest market is indeed LAX by far. LAX-ATH had 70k pax both ways in 2019 and was the third busiest unserved route out of ATH, behind BOS (77k) and SYD (75k).
That being said, I don't see LAX-ATH happening anytime soon, given 1) it is a long route, 2) ATH is now very well served from the East Coast/ORD/ATL with loads of connection options, 3) LAX is not a transatlantic hub for any carrier (AA only flies LAX-LHR and I doubt ATH would be next on their list).

I think MIA-ATH is extremely unlikely. O&D is minuscule and MIA's transatlantic network largely relies on Latin American connections. ATH doesn't have a lot of ties/traffic with the region, unlike Spain/Italy/TLV (which AA flies to from MIA). The fact that both cities have large cruise ports doesn't mean there is traffic between them (the traffic is between the cruise port and its markets).

I would see DFW or CLT possible in the medium/long term, with the former probably more likely. DFW has AA's biggest transatlantic operation after PHL/JFK/ORD, it is a large population center with demand to Greece in its own right and it will serve Texas/the West which do not have a link to ATH currently. That being said, I would expect AA to launch BCN from DFW before ATH.

The LAX demand to ATH, whatever the numbers are, can and would be fulfilled with a DFW-ATH route, however unlikely it would be to be added. ATH is the hot destination of 2021 because it, along with Iceland, was among the first two European countries to reopen to US travelers with few restrictions and a relatively painless process to enter. DFW is a major gateway/through way for West Coast to Europe + other international traffic. Greece is of course a huge summer destination in normal times, both for cruise and non-cruise traffic, but I don't see a DFW-ATH route being opened up in the next year. The ORD and JFK routes have to be given a chance to mature, and both ORD + PHL will be more than enough to cover connections. JFK is more O&D with some connectivity as well. LAX-ATH is a very long, very thin route, and not sure a 777-200ER has the legs for it, thus requiring a 77W or 787 and likely not the best use of a 77W the way AA has them configured for what is a leisure heavy market.

I don't see CLT-ATH either. CLT-ATH would simply siphon from PHL and maybe even ORD and isn't necessary, just because ATL-ATH exists. MIA-ATH is also highly unlikely. The cruise and maritime industries on both ends are not really going to be enough to tap into really meaningful business demand. AA can simply start JFK or PHL earlier in the season to help position staff for those industries and similarly, extend the routes to October to cover the returns. A lot of that staff repositions on the ships themselves.

What I do see is UA adding a third route to ATH, either going double daily at EWR or perhaps ORD, which, on a 787-8 seems about right.

MAH4546

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:32 pm

OlympicATH wrote:

While I agree chance of MIAATH is miniscule, Miami is the second largest Europe-U.S. local market. It is a larger local market from Europe than Los Angeles. To say that it relies on Latin American connections is patently false. It doesn't whatsoever. Roughly 1 out of every 10 U.S.-Europe passengers begins or ends trip in Miami.
a.

jmc1975

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:42 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
OlympicATH wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

The LAX demand to ATH, whatever the numbers are, can and would be fulfilled with a DFW-ATH route, however unlikely it would be to be added. ATH is the hot destination of 2021 because it, along with Iceland, was among the first two European countries to reopen to US travelers with few restrictions and a relatively painless process to enter. DFW is a major gateway/through way for West Coast to Europe + other international traffic. Greece is of course a huge summer destination in normal times, both for cruise and non-cruise traffic, but I don't see a DFW-ATH route being opened up in the next year. The ORD and JFK routes have to be given a chance to mature, and both ORD + PHL will be more than enough to cover connections. JFK is more O&D with some connectivity as well. LAX-ATH is a very long, very thin route, and not sure a 777-200ER has the legs for it, thus requiring a 77W or 787 and likely not the best use of a 77W the way AA has them configured for what is a leisure heavy market.

I don't see CLT-ATH either. CLT-ATH would simply siphon from PHL and maybe even ORD and isn't necessary, just because ATL-ATH exists. MIA-ATH is also highly unlikely. The cruise and maritime industries on both ends are not really going to be enough to tap into really meaningful business demand. AA can simply start JFK or PHL earlier in the season to help position staff for those industries and similarly, extend the routes to October to cover the returns. A lot of that staff repositions on the ships themselves.

What I do see is UA adding a third route to ATH, either going double daily at EWR or perhaps ORD, which, on a 787-8 seems about right.

Keep in mind that El Al served LAX-TLV with a 777-200ER, so it should have the legs for LAX-ATH. Heck, that’s what AA is using on JFK-DEL.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:53 pm

jmc1975 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
OlympicATH wrote:

Keep in mind that El Al served LAX-TLV with a 777-200ER, so it should have the legs for LAX-ATH. Heck, that’s what AA is using on JFK-DEL.

That's true. Think the issue will be fuel and operational costs vs. revenue and I just don't see LAX as a focus for AA to add anything to secondary or in this case, tertiary, seasonal Europe. DL going year-round of JFK to ATH is a bit different. Bigger local traffic catchment and some natural VFR links and cargo. I'm not even sure that one has the legs to continue after one season and can easily see JFK-ATH on DL revert to seasonal only.

DFWandOMA

Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:05 pm

Next month is when AA typically announces summer 2022 international routes. Hopefully many that did not come back this year will next summer.

usflyer msp

Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:04 pm

OlympicATH wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

I was referring more to the cruise lines being HQ'd in Miami and the staff related to that rather than the actual cruise workers.

ContinentalEWR

Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:56 am

usflyer msp wrote:
OlympicATH wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I was referring more to the cruise lines being HQ'd in Miami and the staff related to that rather than the actual cruise workers.

That's really not a very large amount of people traveling daily over a season to warrant this type of flight.

usflyer msp

Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:04 am

ContinentalEWR wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
OlympicATH wrote:

That's really not a very large amount of people traveling daily over a season to warrant this type of flight.

I would agree with you but the small amount of business travel is something that DFW and CLT don't have.

FSDan

Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:50 am

Detroit313 wrote:
Cboyle wrote:
For the next NEA announcement (AA/B6), which routes do you anticipate being announced on the AA side?

South Africa for sure.

Don't hold your breath for that one...

Look for some ramping back up domestically as NYC wakes back up and business travel begins to resume.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

ContinentalEWR

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:01 am

Detroit313 wrote:
Cboyle wrote:
For the next NEA announcement (AA/B6), which routes do you anticipate being announced on the AA side?

South Africa for sure.

LOL. Don't think so, no. I actually don't think there will be a whole lot more long haul added at JFK for the time being, until the B6/AA partnership has had some time to mature. Whatever does get added by AA at JFK and more likely LGA, will be domestic stuff. NYC is a long way from being back to normal but a lot of signs point to a strong comeback which will fuel leisure and domestic business demand.

Nicknuzzii

Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:03 pm

As for the NEA why doesn’t AA cover any of EWR-RDU/DCA/BOS/LAX? A first class cabin is needed on these routes and JetBlue doesn’t offer that.

x1234

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:25 pm

I really wish AA would announce MIA-JNB. JNB is THE #1 market on the Africa continent and DL has said previously that ATL-JNB was their most profitable route in their entire network (DL is charging $10-20k per Delta One suite) because there was NO competition to Africa.

afcjets

Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:07 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
As for the NEA why doesn’t AA cover any of EWR-RDU/DCA/BOS/LAX? A first class cabin is needed on these routes and JetBlue doesn’t offer that.

Since six airlines or more didn't offer First Class LGA-DCA for several decades on their hourly flights with full size jets, I am pretty sure EWR, which is a few miles shorter and unlike LGA has never been an LCC hub, can do without AA/B6 F/J EWR-DCA especially since United barely flies out of JFK to anywhere.
Last edited by afcjets on Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicknuzzii

Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:17 pm

afcjets wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Since six airlines or more didn't offer First Class LGA-DCA for several decades on their hourly flights with full size jets, I am pretty sure EWR, which is a few miles shorter and unlike LGA has never been an LCC hub, can do without AA/B6 F/J, especially when United barely flies out of JFK to anywhere.

I think your overlooking the point of adding First class cabin to these routes. AA and B6 are trying to win over business flyers in NYC, a JetBlue aircraft on a business route from EWR is not competitive to UA. UA already have the schedule strength so B6 and AA need to step it up somewhere.

afcjets

Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:22 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Since six airlines or more didn't offer First Class LGA-DCA for several decades on their hourly flights with full size jets, I am pretty sure EWR, which is a few miles shorter and unlike LGA has never been an LCC hub, can do without AA/B6 F/J, especially when United barely flies out of JFK to anywhere.

I think your overlooking the point of adding First class cabin to these routes. AA and B6 are trying to win over business flyers in NYC, a JetBlue aircraft on a business route from EWR is not competitive to UA. UA already have the schedule strength so B6 and AA need to step it up somewhere.

I don't necessarily disagree with the other matkets which are longer, but I don't think AA flying EWR-DCA is a priority for them right now, especially when B6 already flies it and they offer hourly service from LGA and service from JFK.

MAH4546

Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:39 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

jetBlue offers a first cabin on most transcons from New York, Boston and Miami/Fort Lauderdale, including EWRLAX.

A first class cabin is absolutely not needed on the other short-haul routes. It's nothing more than a perk.
a.

Detroit313

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:44 am

As of November 2, 2021, American will be increasing frequencies from Miami to the following destinations:

Baltimore (BWI) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily

Cleveland (CLE) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily

Detroit (DTW) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily

Guatemala City (GUA) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily

Jacksonville (JAX) is increasing from 5x daily to 7x daily

Nashville (BNA) is increasing from 3x daily to 5x daily

New Orleans (MSY) is increasing from 4x daily to 5x daily

Orlando (MCO) is increasing from 6x daily to 10x daily

Raleigh-Durham (RDU) is increasing from 4x daily to 5x daily

San Juan (SJU) is increasing from 5x daily to 6x daily

San Jose (SJO) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily

San Pedro Sula (SAP) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily

Santo Domingo (SDQ) is increasing from 4x daily to 6x daily

Tampa (TPA) increasing from 5x daily to 8x daily

ContinentalEWR

Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:14 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Um, yeah, no. B6 is an emerging competitive threat to UA at EWR in significant ways, notably on LAX/SFO and anything else with MINT. This was all of course between the lines in last week's big order and the focus on EWR that will result from it. AA/B6 are also a potential competitive threat to DL at JFK/LGA, though that remains to be seen.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:17 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Um, yeah, no. B6 is an emerging competitive threat to UA at EWR in significant ways, notably on LAX/SFO and anything else with MINT.

So, what, five routes compared to UA's 100 with J or F? Sure, that will get business travelers to switch!

Brickell305

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:05 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Um, yeah, no. B6 is an emerging competitive threat to UA at EWR in significant ways, notably on LAX/SFO and anything else with MINT.

So, what, five routes compared to UA's 100 with J or F? Sure, that will get business travelers to switch!

Agreed. I’m nit sure how anyone can realistically consider B6 a major competitive threat to UA on a route like EWR-SFO or EWR-LAX. UA has the frequency and a big of FFs on both sides on either of those routes. Can B6 find success on those routes? Yes, they are both pretty big and there are enough people who aren’t tied into an FF program who will be willing to give them a go. However, let’s not act like UA is now woefully behind on these routes.

aa1818

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:44 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Agreed. I’m nit sure how anyone can realistically consider B6 a major competitive threat to UA on a route like EWR-SFO or EWR-LAX. UA has the frequency and a big of FFs on both sides on either of those routes. Can B6 find success on those routes? Yes, they are both pretty big and there are enough people who aren’t tied into an FF program who will be willing to give them a go. However, let’s not act like UA is now woefully behind on these routes.

Not to overstate it but I think the FF program tie up with AA could be what makes them competitive with UA out of EWR. Lots of AAdvantage members eager to fly B6- perhaps not the premium FFs, but B6 had a broad enough appeal, solid and consistent product and with the boost in access to AAdvantage, it could make them a thorn in US's side.

Cheers,
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

esnidxam

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:31 pm

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why AA doesn't fly direct from ORD-MEX? MEX is the 5th busiest Intl route from ORD and ORD is the 6th busiest Intl route from MEX and it is currently served by UA, AM, VB, and Y4. While this seems crowded, you would think AA would want a piece of the action.

asuflyer

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:56 pm

AA has loaded PHL-KIN in the GDS, 3 times weekly with an A321 from Dec 5th. It was not mentioned in any press release, so it may be announced with other routes at a later point.

esnidxam wrote:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why AA doesn't fly direct from ORD-MEX? MEX is the 5th busiest Intl route from ORD and ORD is the 6th busiest Intl route from MEX and it is currently served by UA, AM, VB, and Y4. While this seems crowded, you would think AA would want a piece of the action.

AA has flown ORD-MEX on and off in the past. MEX slots are valuable and I believe the MEX slot for ORD went to an additional flight to MIA. MIA-MEX is currently 6x daily. A couple years ago it was only 2-3x daily. AA cannot compete on price sensitive pax as VB and Y4 have gained lots of marketshare in the US-MEX markets especially at ORD and MDW.

SurfandSnow

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:57 pm

esnidxam wrote:

That is surprising! AA certainly did fly ORD-MEX in the past, as I do remember arriving into ORD from EGE on a 757 that was then heading to MEX for its next flight. UA also flew to MEX back then, but with a smaller A320 that continued on to SJO (with fifth freedom traffic rights between the Mexican and Costa Rican capitals). I do not believe there were any Mexican LCC operators on the ORD-MEX in those days, but MX would have been a formidable competitor.

Given AA's growing operation to Mexico in recent years - the airline has surpassed UA as the leading carrier to the country - it is quite surprising that AA has yet to resume ORD-MEX. Then again, MEX seems to be quite challenging for all U.S. carriers. UA can make ORD-MEX work, but threw in the towel on LAX-MEX. B6 and NK couldn't make MEX work at all!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Airlines0613

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:38 pm

Something tells me AA will respond to UA's NEXT product. It seems like AA is the only legacy left out. With UA and DL having a superior product, AA will be left behind. The only way it can compete is by pricing its seats slightly cheaper. I think it's a matter of when not if over reinstalling AVOD and etc. on their aircraft. Their first and economy class domestic/short-haul products are dull at best.

Rookie87

Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:55 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
Something tells me AA will respond to UA's NEXT product. It seems like AA is the only legacy left out. With UA and DL having a superior product, AA will be left behind. The only way it can compete is by pricing its seats slightly cheaper. I think it's a matter of when not if over reinstalling AVOD and etc. on their aircraft. Their first and economy class domestic/short-haul products are dull at best.

I’m curious, with AA’s focus away from AVOD and the focus on high speed wifi, do UA and DL offer wifi as fast as AA’s upgraded wifi on these non AVOD flights?

rjbesikof

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:57 am

All NZ (LAX/DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC) routes pulled for W21. Travel to New Zealand is not rebounding anytime soon. Hoping the Dallas and South Island routes inaugurate in 2022.
https://crankyflier.com/2021/07/06/amer ... ntry-spar/

9w748capt

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:46 am

Airlines0613 wrote:

I sure hope you're right. I have a feeling Dougie thought his old pal Kirby would be more than happy to join him in their race to the bottom. So this has to really have thrown Dougie for a loop.

Then again I wouldn't put it past Dougie to cut and cheapen the product even more. Who cares how low the fares are, Dougie will find a way to make the costs even lower.

AA just doesn't know what it wants to be. On one hand they invest in Flagship Lounges but on the other, they actively rip PTVs out and STILL fly A321s on transcons without seat power, much less PTVs! What a joke.

deltairlines

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:26 am

9w748capt wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

I sure hope you're right. I have a feeling Dougie thought his old pal Kirby would be more than happy to join him in their race to the bottom. So this has to really have thrown Dougie for a loop.

Then again I wouldn't put it past Dougie to cut and cheapen the product even more. Who cares how low the fares are, Dougie will find a way to make the costs even lower.

AA just doesn't know what it wants to be. On one hand they invest in Flagship Lounges but on the other, they actively rip PTVs out and STILL fly A321s on transcons without seat power, much less PTVs! What a joke.

Heck, I went to Alaska this past weekend on American. Paid for First Class (easy way to rack up EQMs to initially earn elite status). Flew DFW-FAI on the 321neo. Had the full Casper bedding on the daytime flight up to FAI. Was nice - the "lunch" was a joke, but the seat was nowhere near as bad as people in FB Travel Groups that I'm in made it sound like.

Last night flew ANC-ORD on the 787. Paid a good bit more for that flight over the 321 from FAI - wanted the lieflat. No pillow, no blanket - just my jacket and a t-shirt from my carryon as a makshift pillow. Still got five hours of sleep, but wondering why I paid $800 ow for that flight. Doug and Company need to cut the joke of non-service on flights like this where the northbound (daytime) flights get the better product.

Brickell305

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:36 am

Rookie87 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

I’m curious, with AA’s focus away from AVOD and the focus on high speed wifi, do UA and DL offer wifi as fast as AA’s upgraded wifi on these non AVOD flights?

I have a related question. Is there something (other than the money that would need to be invested) that stops them from providing both? Are seatback video and fast internet mutually exclusive for some reason?

Airlines0613

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:53 am

Brickell305 wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

I have a related question. Is there something (other than the money that would need to be invested) that stops them from providing both? Are seatback video and fast internet mutually exclusive for some reason?

UA announced that AVOD and fast internets speed will be available in NEXT refitted aircraft. They made a really big deal about it and I guess they will be the first US carrier to offer fast wifi, AVOD, and charging ports on all their seats. What really caught my eye is how massive and sharp the AVOD is and best of all, the AVOD is Bluetooth capable. As an AAdvantage EP, these developments encourage me to switch with UA instead, as their product will be significantly better, especially in First, where I do most of my flying. IIRC, UA restarted serving hot meals to first class passengers, while AA gives cold meals. I really believe UA’s new short-haul product is leaps ahead AA’s and a leg-up on DL’s. The way the market is progressive, AA is bound to suffer in quality and revenue. They must improve their product to effectively compete.

ContinentalEWR

Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:51 am

Airlines0613 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:

UA announced that AVOD and fast internets speed will be available in NEXT refitted aircraft. They made a really big deal about it and I guess they will be the first US carrier to offer fast wifi, AVOD, and charging ports on all their seats. What really caught my eye is how massive and sharp the AVOD is and best of all, the AVOD is Bluetooth capable. As an AAdvantage EP, these developments encourage me to switch with UA instead, as their product will be significantly better, especially in First, where I do most of my flying. IIRC, UA restarted serving hot meals to first class passengers, while AA gives cold meals. I really believe UA’s new short-haul product is leaps ahead AA’s and a leg-up on DL’s. The way the market is progressive, AA is bound to suffer in quality and revenue. They must improve their product to effectively compete.

It remains to be seen. UA's big, bold moves are more about closing the gap with DL than they are about the competitive dynamic with AA. I would agree that the 737 and 321 standardization that AA has embarked on and completed for the most part have furthered the perception that AA does not seem to care about the passenger experience. On board though, you'll largely find clean, crisp cabins, and both in First and in Economy, a pretty good experience from the cabin crew for the most part (my experience has been anyway, though that's not a barometer of performance). UA has moved further away from its worst days, with operational meltdowns, bad service from its customer facing employees, the David Dao incident, and so forth, and Scott Kirby is probably the smartest guy running an airline right now, but take a closer look at UA's operational performance at some of its most challenging hubs. DL, early on and years ago, developed metrics and procedures to reduce delays, leverage technology to manage irregular operations, delays, cancellations, and so forth quite well. That's where UA (and AA) really have to work hard. Frankly, most would prefer to know their flight has a decent chance of arriving on time (or suitable and quick alternatives made in the event this does not happen) over a warm vs. cold plate of food which across all 3 airlines, in domestic first, was, and still isn't, all that great, and likely doesn't really matter much. Reading between the lines in the order and investor day slides from last week from UA, a lot of the next level promises being made are part of a broader effort to address the still present challenges of operating hubs in congested, constrained, and often problematic airports like EWR and SFO. A competitive advantage, yes, but one that must be preserved.

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:19 am

rjbesikof wrote:
All NZ (LAX/DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC) routes pulled for W21. Travel to New Zealand is not rebounding anytime soon. Hoping the Dallas and South Island routes inaugurate in 2022.
https://crankyflier.com/2021/07/06/amer ... ntry-spar/

Not surprising really tbh. Hopefully later in 2022 they will return at least from LAX.

MIflyer12

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:28 am

Rookie87 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

Delta is substantially moving from Gogo 2Ku wifi to Viasat's Ka band. The plan is for 300 aircraft with Viasat by year-end. And, of course, AA uses Gogo 2Ku as well. So I think the answer wrt DL to your question is 'Yes.'

ABEguy

Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:55 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

Delta is substantially moving from Gogo 2Ku wifi to Viasat's Ka band. The plan is for 300 aircraft with Viasat by year-end. And, of course, AA uses Gogo 2Ku as well. So I think the answer wrt DL to your question is 'Yes.'

What do you mean AA uses Gogo? Haven’t seen a Gogo equiped aircraft in I don’t even know how long.

OKCDCA

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:22 pm

ABEguy wrote:

What do you mean AA uses Gogo? Haven’t seen a Gogo equiped aircraft in I don’t even know how long.

The 319 fleet still has some aircraft with GoGo. I know because my work laptop will only work with GoGo and I used it on a flight back in May. I think the Eagle fleet is still GoGo.

AC4500

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:37 pm

ABEguy wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:

Alaska still uses Gogo for their regional E175s, IIRC.

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:43 pm

ABEguy wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:

AA's fleet is split.
The L-US narrowbodies and Eagle fleet use Gogo.
The L-AA narrowbodies and new deliveries use Viastat.
The widebodies use Panasonic.

All AA's wifi providers use the same login/account info so for the public it doesn't make much of a difference.

divemaster08

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:37 pm

x1234 wrote:
I really wish AA would announce MIA-JNB. JNB is THE #1 market on the Africa continent and DL has said previously that ATL-JNB was their most profitable route in their entire network (DL is charging $10-20k per Delta One suite) because there was NO competition to Africa.

This. Back in the day SAA flew the route and it worked. They moved up to MCO and then ATL (or other way round?) but there is still a demand for Latin/Carib/South Florida traffic to SA. I hoped that when AA brought the 787 to MIA it might soon pop up. I know they will have issues with the unions on crew rest and what not, but if they can spare a 789 for atm 3x weekly (which im sure would jump to daily very quickly) I believe it would make them $$$$
It should be able to carry some cargo to which would help right?
My dream, is to fly, over the rainbow, so high!

sagechan

Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:06 pm

divemaster08 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

This. Back in the day SAA flew the route and it worked. They moved up to MCO and then ATL (or other way round?) but there is still a demand for Latin/Carib/South Florida traffic to SA. I hoped that when AA brought the 787 to MIA it might soon pop up. I know they will have issues with the unions on crew rest and what not, but if they can spare a 789 for atm 3x weekly (which im sure would jump to daily very quickly) I believe it would make them $$$$

The route would be shorter than DFW-HKG, there shouldn't be any crew issues anymore.
717, 733, 734, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA, AS

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:25 pm

sagechan wrote:
divemaster08 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

The route would be shorter than DFW-HKG, there shouldn't be any crew issues anymore.

AA's 789's cannot fly JNB-MIA without significant restrictions due to the altitude.
UA has a subfleet of modified 789's that fly EWR-JNB with higher engine thrust and a bigger business class cabin for lower pax weights.
MIA-CPT would not be an issue. They could connect JNB pax onto Comair at CPT and it would still be significantly more convenient than the existing options of going through LHR or DOH.

USAirALB

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:22 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
UA has a subfleet of modified 789's that fly EWR-JNB with higher engine thrust and a bigger business class cabin for lower pax weights.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread (and immediately got a "clap back" as to why AA would want to fly MIA-JNB).

Anyways, the UA 789 subfleet doesn't have a true higher engine thrust compared to the rest of the fleet, but rather they implemented a software update that improves the plane's fuel management system which in turn improves the plane's overall range/performance. I believe the plane got a "thrust bump" allowing higher uplift but not a higher engine thrust overall as you can't just increase engine thrust as rudder size/controllability issues come into play.

I don't think there is any reason why AA couldn't process the same software update on their 789s if they wanted to. All UA 789s will eventually be receiving this software update as they receive the new Polaris cabin.

That said, UA's 789s are less dense which does lower the overall weight.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

SyracuseAvGeek

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:44 pm

https://youtu.be/yPdGnkBTK3c

That video is of an AA flight into Syracuse, NY, and the video mentioned that the main runways is closed.

I’m not a pilot so I have a question, when runways are closed at airports do they get a briefing of that before they leave their departure airport? Or they kinda just figure it out when they get close to the destination?
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

alasizon

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:15 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
https://youtu.be/yPdGnkBTK3c

That video is of an AA flight into Syracuse, NY, and the video mentioned that the main runways is closed.

I’m not a pilot so I have a question, when runways are closed at airports do they get a briefing of that before they leave their departure airport? Or they kinda just figure it out when they get close to the destination?

Closed runways are logged in what is called a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen), prior to departure that information is all included in the dispatch release for crews. Likewise, dispatchers will plan the landing performance based on the open runways. It will also be listed in the station's field conditions report (which also indicates if the runways are wet or dry).

In addition, for airports with ATIS, in the remarks section it will often indicate if a given runway is completely closed.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

DFWandOMA

Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:27 pm

DFWandOMA wrote:
I seem to remember a month ago someone posted on AA applying for EAS routes. When will we find out if those have been approved? Hoping DFW-GRB is one of them.

Any update on EAS routes that AA applied for this spring?

dcajet

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:50 pm

American suspends Sydney service until at least November.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... -australia
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos