Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:14 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
The DL 1501-1506 planes have non-FADEC CF6 engines, which is what the early AA 763s have. I think this is what kept them out of the scrapyard.


That makes sense. And indeed your point is even stronger: I'm thinking that in fact none of the AA 763s had FADEC GEs, including the ones AA bought in 2003. The ex-TWA ones (which AA swiftly got rid of) were PW4060s, which are digitally-controlled, of course, but no GE FADEC.

So, consistent with your point, all of the AA 763s that CAM has bought and converted over the years are non-FADEC. And, as you point out, the ex-DL ones that CAM bought were also non-FADEC.

Your former employer made the switch to FADEC engines, with the 1600s. Amazon bought 7 of those, so those Amazon-owned planes have FADEC GEs, if they ever make it through conversion. I guess Amazon is in no rush.
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:11 am

wjcandee wrote:

Your former employer made the switch to FADEC engines, with the 1600s. Amazon bought 7 of those, so those Amazon-owned planes have FADEC GEs, if they ever make it through conversion. I guess Amazon is in no rush.


Here’s some gee-whiz info:

If you want to identify a FADEC GE engine from a non FADEC GE, you just need to look at the engine start panel on the overhead panel in the cockpit (upper center position).

FADEC powered GE planes will have single-both positions:



Non FADEC powered GE planes have 1-both-2 (also PW4000):

 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:14 am

DL_Mech wrote:

Here’s some gee-whiz info:

If you want to identify a FADEC GE engine from a non FADEC GE, you just need to look at the engine start panel on the overhead panel in the cockpit (upper center position).



I love stuff like this. Thanks!
 
JayinKitsap
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:55 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:07 am

When did non-FADEC engines stop being put onto new planes, verses spares?
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:25 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
When did non-FADEC engines stop being put onto new planes, verses spares?


As wjcandee said, AA had one delivered in 2003 and I know Qantas had one delivered in 2000. Without knowing which airlines operate them, it’s hard to know.
 
Clancy223
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 9:16 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:32 am

flightwriter wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
do we know what the ATR is going to fly? I was told AFW-ABQ, but haven't heard much on that since June.


I wonder if this will open up a one-day shipping route into Albuquerque. Right now as far as I know only Phoenix (and possibly Tucson) is one-day delivery to Albuquerque, and soon ABQ1 will likely add one-day and same-day options.


On a related note, the Sunport announced via social media this week that the Albuquerque city council just voted to approve a ground lease to Amazon at ABQ.


The ATR flights start on the 9th. AFW-ABQ depart 12:15am local and arrive at 2:30am local. ABQ-AFW depart 5:30am local and arrive at 9:00am local.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:32 pm

Clancy223 wrote:
flightwriter wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

I wonder if this will open up a one-day shipping route into Albuquerque. Right now as far as I know only Phoenix (and possibly Tucson) is one-day delivery to Albuquerque, and soon ABQ1 will likely add one-day and same-day options.


On a related note, the Sunport announced via social media this week that the Albuquerque city council just voted to approve a ground lease to Amazon at ABQ.


The ATR flights start on the 9th. AFW-ABQ depart 12:15am local and arrive at 2:30am local. ABQ-AFW depart 5:30am local and arrive at 9:00am local.



I see that DSM has service with ATR to/from AFW this morning. Is this a new route as well?
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5657
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:29 pm

Delta28L wrote:
Clancy223 wrote:
flightwriter wrote:

On a related note, the Sunport announced via social media this week that the Albuquerque city council just voted to approve a ground lease to Amazon at ABQ.


The ATR flights start on the 9th. AFW-ABQ depart 12:15am local and arrive at 2:30am local. ABQ-AFW depart 5:30am local and arrive at 9:00am local.



I see that DSM has service with ATR to/from AFW this morning. Is this a new route as well?

Looks like it. AFW-DSM is SIL3901, AFW-ABQ is SIL 3903. Looks like the only 2 routes so far as I’d expect SIL3905 to be the next in the series and that doesn’t seem to exist yet.

Nice stage utilization for the ATR, 2 hours to DSM, 2:11 to ABQ.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:16 pm

AFW was up to 17 departures yesterday on amazons/sliver airways/sun county/ATI/ Atlas planes. The 18th departure took off shortly after midnight
 
stretch8
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:55 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:57 am

N397AN B763 BDSF SNN-CVG landed runway 18C around 1200L today. Appears, she did not continue CVG-ILN after customs. A maintenance issue maybe? N257AZ / N398AN B763 still without #1 engine at ILN. cheers!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:57 am

Thanks for the update, Stretch8! Interesting that she held at CVG. At least she's stateside now. I was watching for N257AZ to make a move; guess it's going to be a while while she awaits a new engine.
 
767Mx
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:03 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:21 pm

N397AN is at CVG for a triple gear change.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:05 pm

767Mx wrote:
N397AN is at CVG for a triple gear change.


Thank you! We love that kind of information on this thread.

And welcome to the forum and this thread! I'm so very happy that more and more folks who have through-their-own-eyes knowledge are joining our thread. Far too many professionals have avoided a.net participation in recent years because they haven't felt valued or they have been unfairly challenged by trolls. We don't do that here, and I hope it stays that way.
 
jjbiv
Posts: 1330
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2001 10:58 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:14 pm

767Mx wrote:
N397AN is at CVG for a triple gear change.

Interesting! Where do they do gear changes at CVG? Delta's hangar is the only large maintenance facility I remember seeing there.
 
a320flyer
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 5:28 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:59 pm

jjbiv wrote:
767Mx wrote:
N397AN is at CVG for a triple gear change.

Interesting! Where do they do gear changes at CVG? Delta's hangar is the only large maintenance facility I remember seeing there.

FEAM Aero has a facility that can handle up to 747s at CVG, opened a couple years ago
 
stretch8
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:55 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:44 am

N156DL CAM & ex-DL B763 departed SBD-ATL on November 12, 2021. More maintenance at ATL? cheers!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:55 am

stretch8 wrote:
N156DL CAM & ex-DL B763 departed SBD-ATL on November 12, 2021. More maintenance at ATL? cheers!


Good catch! Yeah, N154DL had a triple gear change there in September. Looks like DL Tech Ops is the go-to shop for some pre-conversion specialties. (Or there were some things that DL promised to take care of as part of the sale to CAM. Or the sale price reflected CAM having Tech Ops doing certain specialty maintenance pre-conversion.)
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5657
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:32 pm

Peak is upon us in a few short days. While Amazon is slowly and methodically adding to its 767 fleet and starting to use the ATR, will there be further increases to its capacity for the next few months (further leased lift or just increased utilization)?
 
stretch8
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:55 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:34 am

N397AN B763 BDSF CVG-ILN this afternoon after triple landing gear change, arriving just after 1500L. Was at CVG since November 10, 2021, returning from TLV, via SNN. cheers!
 
stretch8
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:55 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:15 pm

N569AZ AZ B763 MEX-CVG-ILN today. Question: She painted to AZ colors before leaving MEX? Thanks! cheers!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:44 pm

stretch8 wrote:
N569AZ AZ B763 MEX-CVG-ILN today. Question: She painted to AZ colors before leaving MEX? Thanks! cheers!


Yeah they deliver them fully painted from MEX if the customer wants.
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 2000
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:53 pm

stretch8 wrote:
N569AZ AZ B763 MEX-CVG-ILN today. Question: She painted to AZ colors before leaving MEX? Thanks! cheers!


MEX conversion line wasting no time at all getting another 763: Ex Delta 767-300ER N1608 filed VCV-MEX 6PM - 11:08PM for freighter conversion.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n1608
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:28 pm

VCVSpotter wrote:
stretch8 wrote:
N569AZ AZ B763 MEX-CVG-ILN today. Question: She painted to AZ colors before leaving MEX? Thanks! cheers!


MEX conversion line wasting no time at all getting another 763: Ex Delta 767-300ER N1608 filed VCV-MEX 6PM - 11:08PM for freighter conversion.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n1608


Interesting, given how painfully-slow the MEX line has been operating. Maybe that's good news.

342AN (for DHL) at MEX since 2/3/21
569AZ, just finished after 14 months.
1611B, sent to TLV after 4 months at MEX, at TLV for 6 months more.
1612T, at MEX for 10 months.
N1608, arrived MEX today.
 
MO11
Posts: 1973
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:24 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Thanks for the update, Stretch8! Interesting that she held at CVG. At least she's stateside now. I was watching for N257AZ to make a move; guess it's going to be a while while she awaits a new engine.



Transferred to Amazon/ATI yesterday. Looks like in service today.
 
stretch8
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:55 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:26 am

Appears that N257AZ B763 ex N398AN routed ILN-SBD on November 20, 2021. Today, November 21, 2021 she was not at ILN. This for AZ paint, or a test flight? cheers!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:31 am

stretch8 wrote:
Appears that N257AZ B763 ex N398AN routed ILN-SBD on November 20, 2021. Today, November 21, 2021 she was not at ILN. This for AZ paint, or a test flight? cheers!


Looks like she's in service! Flew to PDX on a revenue flight tonight!
 
CoThG
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:24 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:53 pm

Bezos is going to buy ATI for Amazon's in house airline. You heard it here first. Bezos was in CVG recently to inspect progress on Amazon's dispatch center and told newhire dispatchers that ATI is the likely "chosen one" for the in-house PrimeAir. He told the dispatchers he wants PrimeAir to be the world's largest package delivery company.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4823
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:56 pm

CoThG wrote:
Bezos is going to buy ATI for Amazon's in house airline. You heard it here first. Bezos was in CVG recently to inspect progress on Amazon's dispatch center and told newhire dispatchers that ATI is the likely "chosen one" for the in-house PrimeAir. He told the dispatchers he wants PrimeAir to be the world's largest package delivery company.


I’ll believe it when I see it. I don’t think Amazon wants to be in the airline business. They have gotten along well with their outsourced approach, as much as I hate outsourcing. That speech may be a good morale booster going into peak season. It’s certainly timed well to “rally the troops.”
 
Boof02671
Posts: 2900
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:44 pm

Plus Bezos has stepped down as CEO of Amazon
 
DaveMetroD
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:13 pm

As a publicly owned company, Amazon is subject to certain rules regarding disclosure of material matters.
I think an acquisition of ATI qualifies under those rules.
 
ILNFlyer
Posts: 711
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:29 pm

DaveMetroD wrote:
As a publicly owned company, Amazon is subject to certain rules regarding disclosure of material matters.
I think an acquisition of ATI qualifies under those rules.


Absolutely. And for ATSG as well since ATSG owns ATI. It is true however that Amazon prefers ATI to ABX Air because if the shenanigan's ABX pulled a couple of years back.
 
GoodRide
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:52 pm

[*]
CoThG wrote:
Bezos is going to buy ATI for Amazon's in house airline. You heard it here first. Bezos was in CVG recently to inspect progress on Amazon's dispatch center and told newhire dispatchers that ATI is the likely "chosen one" for the in-house PrimeAir. He told the dispatchers he wants PrimeAir to be the world's largest package delivery company.


You work for Amazon?
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4759
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:59 pm

CoThG wrote:
Bezos is going to buy ATI for Amazon's in house airline. You heard it here first. Bezos was in CVG recently to inspect progress on Amazon's dispatch center and told newhire dispatchers that ATI is the likely "chosen one" for the in-house PrimeAir. He told the dispatchers he wants PrimeAir to be the world's largest package delivery company.

Unless you have a source to support your claim, you need to present this information as rumor or speculation, as required by forum rules.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
tan1mill
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:11 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:36 pm

CoThG wrote:
Bezos is going to buy ATI for Amazon's in house airline. You heard it here first. Bezos was in CVG recently to inspect progress on Amazon's dispatch center and told newhire dispatchers that ATI is the likely "chosen one" for the in-house PrimeAir. He told the dispatchers he wants PrimeAir to be the world's largest package delivery company.


Amazon does not hire or have dispatchers since they do not have operational control.
 
CoThG
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:24 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:49 am

tan1mill wrote:
CoThG wrote:
Bezos is going to buy ATI for Amazon's in house airline. You heard it here first. Bezos was in CVG recently to inspect progress on Amazon's dispatch center and told newhire dispatchers that ATI is the likely "chosen one" for the in-house PrimeAir. He told the dispatchers he wants PrimeAir to be the world's largest package delivery company.


Amazon does not hire or have dispatchers since they do not have operational control.


Little do you know.
 
tan1mill
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:11 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:23 am

CoThG wrote:
tan1mill wrote:
CoThG wrote:
Bezos is going to buy ATI for Amazon's in house airline. You heard it here first. Bezos was in CVG recently to inspect progress on Amazon's dispatch center and told newhire dispatchers that ATI is the likely "chosen one" for the in-house PrimeAir. He told the dispatchers he wants PrimeAir to be the world's largest package delivery company.


Amazon does not hire or have dispatchers since they do not have operational control.


Little do you know.


By all means, please show your source for the meeting between Bezos and these dispatchers. Please explain how an airline on paper only, without a Part 121 operating certificate has a dispatch department with licensed and signed off dispatchers exercising direct operational control over their own fleet. Please explain what aircraft these dispatchers do their 5 hours of yearly familiarization flights on. While you're at it, please tell us which CMO is assigned to Amazon Air. I have no doubt they have employees working in their control center who possess a dispatch certificate, but simply having a certificate is a lot different than exercising the privileges of that certificate.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:35 am

We try not to get argumentative in this thread. The member indicates that he has knowledge that Bezos met with a group of employees at CVG (whatever their actual titles are) and indicated something about ATI. Clearly, at the moment ATI has been getting all the new 763s. But Amazon Air has a substantial fleet of 20 738s, flown mostly by Sun Country but also by Atlas, and like 19 763s flown by Atlas, plus 6 762s flown by ABX. Seems like a challenge to try to switch all those over to ATI, which also doesn't fly 738s. Seems like it ain't broke at the moment, so wondering why Amazon would want to "fix" it, and then necessarily bring ALPA on the property and give them enormous leverage to screw with its air operation.
 
CoThG
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:24 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:39 am

tan1mill wrote:
CoThG wrote:
tan1mill wrote:

Amazon does not hire or have dispatchers since they do not have operational control.


Little do you know.


By all means, please show your source for the meeting between Bezos and these dispatchers. Please explain how an airline on paper only, without a Part 121 operating certificate has a dispatch department with licensed and signed off dispatchers exercising direct operational control over their own fleet. Please explain what aircraft these dispatchers do their 5 hours of yearly familiarization flights on. While you're at it, please tell us which CMO is assigned to Amazon Air. I have no doubt they have employees working in their control center who possess a dispatch certificate, but simply having a certificate is a lot different than exercising the privileges of that certificate.


You armchair CEOs think you know everything when you know nothing. The source is the person that was actually at the meeting. The CMO is whatever CMO ATI has assigned to it as Amazon will be purchasing ATI.

Amazon has been hiring airline personnel for quite sometime now getting ready to supplement ATI's personnel and to handle Amazon's growth.
 
MCOflyer
Posts: 7123
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:51 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:43 am

Is Mesa flying the 737s for Amazon? I'm sorry if this question has already come up. If so how has the reliability been for Mesa? That is compared to other operators providing 737's such as Suncountry.
 
CoThG
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:24 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:43 am

wjcandee wrote:
We try not to get argumentative in this thread. The member indicates that he has knowledge that Bezos met with a group of employees at CVG (whatever their actual titles are) and indicated something about ATI. Clearly, at the moment ATI has been getting all the new 763s. But Amazon Air has a substantial fleet of 20 738s, flown mostly by Sun Country but also by Atlas, and like 19 763s flown by Atlas, plus 6 762s flown by ABX. Seems like a challenge to try to switch all those over to ATI, which also doesn't fly 738s. Seems like it ain't broke at the moment, so wondering why Amazon would want to "fix" it, and then necessarily bring ALPA on the property and give them enormous leverage to screw with its air operation.


Amazon could leave the 737s contracted out and bring them in-house later, if desired.

Those ATI pilots would be so "giddy" at being "real" Prime Air pilots that who knows what kind of deal ATI Alpa would sign to enable the purchase.
Most of your don't understand the orgasmic desire ATI pilots have at the thought of being Amazon's "chosen one's".
 
MCOflyer
Posts: 7123
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:51 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:45 am

What's so special about an Amazon 767 compared to a contractor 767? As long as it's maintained, They're all the same right?
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:05 am

MCOflyer wrote:
Is Mesa flying the 737s for Amazon? I'm sorry if this question has already come up. If so how has the reliability been for Mesa? That is compared to other operators providing 737's such as Suncountry.


Mesa is flying some 737-400s for DHL. Sun Country and Atlas (formerly Southern) are flying 738s for Amazon. Mesa is flying DHL 737s that used to be flown for DHL by Southern.
Last edited by wjcandee on Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:12 am

MCOflyer wrote:
What's so special about an Amazon 767 compared to a contractor 767? As long as it's maintained, They're all the same right?


Well...they're technically ALL "Amazon 767s", because Amazon either owns them or dry-leases them from a leasing company (in this case, ATSG's CAM or AAWW's Andromeda/Titan, or GECAS with the 738s). The way Amazon started this thing, it took the capital risk and committed to long-term leases. Recently, it purchased a few aircraft and has been having its own people/contractors manage the conversion process of them. For whatever reason, probably that this was an opportunistic buy and they didn't need the conversions right away, that process has been going a lot slower than when CAM does it.

Separate from Amazon's contracts to lease the aircraft, which are basically-unbreakable for the period, Amazon has operating ("CMI") contracts with Atlas, ABX and ATI to operate the 767s, and with Sun Country and Atlas to operate the 738s. Amazon can, if it wants to, terminate those contracts at its convenience for all or part of the fleet being operated by the carriers, on a few months' notice. That's what they did as to two Atlas-operated 763s back when Atlas was having staffing/reliability issues; they moved them to ATI. Still leased by an AAWW subsidiary, but now operated by ATI, an ATSG subsidiary. As CoThG points out, Amazon could conceivably buy an airline, with all of its attendant hassles, and attempt to run the airline itself, then move the operation of all of its leased and owned aircraft onto that certificate over time.

Doable. Not smart. But doable.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5227
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:05 pm

It was said on this site that Amazon knew more about the operations of the USPS, UPS, FedEx than those companies themselves. We know where that led. But in any event Amazon will want to know and understand air operations at least as well as their operating contractors. We also know they are a major (not majority IIRC) owner in at least one company. I also think they are slowly coming to the realization that they are either going to see unions moving in, or they are going to have to ensure that wages, benefits, and Safety as well as working conditions need to improve. Political winds include both Democrats and Republican who are not happy with Amazon. How this plays out in aviation with both FAA and pilot's fighting for strangleholds on flying will be interesting.
 
bigb
Posts: 1619
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:31 pm

tan1mill wrote:
CoThG wrote:
tan1mill wrote:

Amazon does not hire or have dispatchers since they do not have operational control.


Little do you know.


By all means, please show your source for the meeting between Bezos and these dispatchers. Please explain how an airline on paper only, without a Part 121 operating certificate has a dispatch department with licensed and signed off dispatchers exercising direct operational control over their own fleet. Please explain what aircraft these dispatchers do their 5 hours of yearly familiarization flights on. While you're at it, please tell us which CMO is assigned to Amazon Air. I have no doubt they have employees working in their control center who possess a dispatch certificate, but simply having a certificate is a lot different than exercising the privileges of that certificate.


No need for operational control when they can just buy it by purchasing ATI from ATSG and bring on additional 76s that are on dry lease and contract CMI out in-house and later add the 737 program to the operating certificate later down the road.

This is exactly how UPS got into the flying side of the business….
 
stretch8
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:55 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:30 am

N620DL ex-CAM B752 delivered ILN-HGR today. That leaves N531UA B752 as of today, with no engines. cheers!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:01 am

stretch8 wrote:
N620DL ex-CAM B752 delivered ILN-HGR today. That leaves N531UA B752 as of today, with no engines. cheers!


Thanks for that update! I guess the new owners are slowly getting them ready to send over to Astral! (Or 3 of them, at least.)
 
stretch8
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:55 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 am

N397AN B763 at ILN now wears grey ghost colors. cheers!
 
stretch8
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:55 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:33 am

N397AN B763 has been re-reg'd N251AZ at ILN. cheers!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2021

Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:11 am

stretch8 wrote:
N397AN B763 has been re-reg'd N251AZ at ILN. cheers!


Great! That means she should be ready to fly soon!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos