Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyinryan99

Re: The Rest of Ohio - 2021

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:28 pm

flyCMH wrote:
flyinryan99 wrote:
Finally found the logistics company that will be handling around 14 weekly cargo flights out of TOL: Pinnacle Logistics https://www.pinnaclelogistics.com/ They are in the process of hiring the Toledo team now...just wondering who they will be handling now. Anyone have any insight?

That's great news. Would it be a return of Amazon Air cargo (ATI)? They flew approx. 14 weekly flights from TOL-CVG-MSP, correct?

If I remember right, it was DHL they were flying for. They operate the route MSP-DTW-CVG and back. This was before Amazon Air was flying, it's been that long since dedicated cargo flying at TOL.

CMHtraveler

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:44 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
Looking at FlyColumbus.com's list of CMH/LCK destinations as of 12-22-20, including those suspended (https://flycolumbus.com/storage/product ... 2-2020.pdf), the list had shortened and showed the following still haven't come back:
-BOS (AA announced today, DL will probably bring back)
-JAX (G4 was seasonal anyway, probably comes back)
-LAX (AA and DL appear to have dropped, but I can't believe one of them won't bring it back, especially if somebody else (WN, B6, NK, etc.) announces it and they get territorial.
-MYR (returning on both G4 and NK in April)
-MSY (seasonal on both WN and NK)
-JFK (has value to DL given TATL network and either AA or B6 will run it to represent their partnership.)
-PUJ (they still list as a Vacation Express destination, but VE is bringing back CUN in May)
-RDU (lives and dies with the DL focus city, but there's been a fairly constant airline link between the two over time between JI, AA, DL, and that weird time where F9 ran it)
-SLC (returns in April)
-SFO (does UA bring it back?)
-YYZ (Canadian border closed)

To look at it another way, here's what's still out if you exclude those confirmed to be restarting and YYZ, which has shown up on OAG a few times only to disappear due to COVID restrictions:
-Likely to come back- JFK
-Possible- LAX, SFO
-Hard to tell- MSY (might be helped with two carriers on it and NK's continued seasonal operation), JAX (probably easy enough for G4 to operate), PUJ, RDU

Thanks for compiling this! Some thoughts:

MSY - this route is bookable 3x weekly (Sun/Tues/Thurs) on NK beginning April 18. It could of course get pushed back, but I believe the resumption was part of a recent announcement of returning NK routes so I think it’s a near certainty it returns on a seasonal basis.
YYZ - CMH has been included with the long list of planned restarts that includes all of AC’s secondary U.S. flights every time it shows up on the OAG thread (only to have them all get pushed back again). I think this one is a certainty for return, it’s the timing that is anyone’s guess.
JFK - Agree with your assessment, but think that AA’s announcement of BOS yesterday makes it less likely we see B6 in the near term, which is too bad because BOS, JFK, and LAX on B6 with AA codeshare operating from B concourse would have been absolutely ideal for CMH.
LAX and SFO - Imagine posting on this forum 3 years ago that in 2021 our only west coast destination would be SEA on AS. Laughter would have ensued. LAX has to return. CMH is too big a market to not have at least one nonstop daily to LAX when it recently had 3. Personally I would prefer AA resume it, but AS, B6, DL, NK, WN, UA, are all possibilities to some degree. Heck, even G4 at LCK is a long shot option. I think this gets picked up by the end of the year as long as covid vaccinations stay on track. SFO is a bit less of a certainty in my mind, but unlike LAX it is still getting cancelled on a month to month basis by UA, so that is hopeful.

CMHtraveler

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:42 pm

Also interesting- according to CMH social media AA’s BOS flights will begin at 2x daily.

https://www.facebook.com/columbusairpor ... 87/?type=3

StuckinCMHland

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:07 pm

Took my grandaughter to CMH yeaterday, she had a good time looking over things, but the place is more like a closed library than an airport. So sad.

CMHtraveler

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:13 pm

StuckinCMHland wrote:
Took my grandaughter to CMH yeaterday, she had a good time looking over things, but the place is more like a closed library than an airport. So sad.

There are times when it’s really dead- middle of the day on weekends is particularly slow this month, but believe it or not it’s not as dead as it was in the fall and is slowly coming back to life. At its worst, our largest legacy carrier AA had not a single mainline flight, no one was flying even NYC, and every square inch of available ramp was covered with stored YX birds.

Now, mornings and evenings show some signs of life. Routes and mainline activity have started to slowly return (NYC is back, DFW, CLT, and PHX are at least partly mainline on AA, UA has a new RSW route and WN SRQ is coming) and March should be even better with WN bolstering it’s schedule (HOU returns, TPA sees more frequency). In April it will really pick up again with NK starting some of their seasonal flying and DL returning SLC, as well as WN bringing back STL. AA just announced BOS this summer too. Things won’t look like 2019 for a long while but there are reasons for optimism.

DeltaRules

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:22 pm

I missed it in a recent OAG thread, but G4's LCK-JAX comes back in June, so scratch that off the unaccounted for list.

SkyVoice

Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:45 am

Spirit will begin serving Louisville on 27 May. While I am happy for the folks at SDF, I have been hoping & pushing for NK to serve Dayton. Perhaps they will at some point, but the Miami Valley may have to wait for a new entrant, such as Breeze. The market is there. DAY is one fine airport & needs a boost!

NoTime

Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:07 pm

Not airline news, but...

LCK is redeveloping an existing air cargo terminal space into a "temperature controlled pharmaceutical handling facility" - https://newshub.columbusairports.com/st ... -grant.pdf

I guess this will be useful even once the COVID rush is over...?

flyCMH

Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:11 pm

flyinryan99 wrote:
flyCMH wrote:
flyinryan99 wrote:
Finally found the logistics company that will be handling around 14 weekly cargo flights out of TOL: Pinnacle Logistics https://www.pinnaclelogistics.com/ They are in the process of hiring the Toledo team now...just wondering who they will be handling now. Anyone have any insight?

That's great news. Would it be a return of Amazon Air cargo (ATI)? They flew approx. 14 weekly flights from TOL-CVG-MSP, correct?

If I remember right, it was DHL they were flying for. They operate the route MSP-DTW-CVG and back. This was before Amazon Air was flying, it's been that long since dedicated cargo flying at TOL.

Ah, thanks for the correction. Also, meant to type CVG-TOL-MSP. I had forgotten the route now operates via DTW. Nice to see Amazon Air in the local market with Sun Country 738s. I wonder if that could eventually translate to pax service, akin to CVG.

a320flyer

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:08 pm

Posting for those who haven't seen the renderings, but here is the current master plan draft for CVG. Adding a connector between A and main terminal for the customs relocation plus expanding A to the west:

DeltaRules

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:13 am

DL's CMH-SLC has been pulled from the April schedule. CMH-ATL goes back to all-mainline, though (using 4/14, 5x 717, 1x 738).

flyCMH

Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:22 pm

CMHtraveler wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
Looking at FlyColumbus.com's list of CMH/LCK destinations as of 12-22-20, including those suspended (https://flycolumbus.com/storage/product ... 2-2020.pdf), the list had shortened and showed the following still haven't come back:
-BOS (AA announced today, DL will probably bring back)
-JAX (G4 was seasonal anyway, probably comes back)
-LAX (AA and DL appear to have dropped, but I can't believe one of them won't bring it back, especially if somebody else (WN, B6, NK, etc.) announces it and they get territorial.
-MYR (returning on both G4 and NK in April)
-MSY (seasonal on both WN and NK)
-JFK (has value to DL given TATL network and either AA or B6 will run it to represent their partnership.)
-PUJ (they still list as a Vacation Express destination, but VE is bringing back CUN in May)
-RDU (lives and dies with the DL focus city, but there's been a fairly constant airline link between the two over time between JI, AA, DL, and that weird time where F9 ran it)
-SLC (returns in April)
-SFO (does UA bring it back?)
-YYZ (Canadian border closed)

To look at it another way, here's what's still out if you exclude those confirmed to be restarting and YYZ, which has shown up on OAG a few times only to disappear due to COVID restrictions:
-Likely to come back- JFK
-Possible- LAX, SFO
-Hard to tell- MSY (might be helped with two carriers on it and NK's continued seasonal operation), JAX (probably easy enough for G4 to operate), PUJ, RDU

Thanks for compiling this! Some thoughts:

MSY - this route is bookable 3x weekly (Sun/Tues/Thurs) on NK beginning April 18. It could of course get pushed back, but I believe the resumption was part of a recent announcement of returning NK routes so I think it’s a near certainty it returns on a seasonal basis.
YYZ - CMH has been included with the long list of planned restarts that includes all of AC’s secondary U.S. flights every time it shows up on the OAG thread (only to have them all get pushed back again). I think this one is a certainty for return, it’s the timing that is anyone’s guess.
JFK - Agree with your assessment, but think that AA’s announcement of BOS yesterday makes it less likely we see B6 in the near term, which is too bad because BOS, JFK, and LAX on B6 with AA codeshare operating from B concourse would have been absolutely ideal for CMH.
LAX and SFO - Imagine posting on this forum 3 years ago that in 2021 our only west coast destination would be SEA on AS. Laughter would have ensued. LAX has to return. CMH is too big a market to not have at least one nonstop daily to LAX when it recently had 3. Personally I would prefer AA resume it, but AS, B6, DL, NK, WN, UA, are all possibilities to some degree. Heck, even G4 at LCK is a long shot option. I think this gets picked up by the end of the year as long as covid vaccinations stay on track. SFO is a bit less of a certainty in my mind, but unlike LAX it is still getting cancelled on a month to month basis by UA, so that is hopeful.

Agreed, thanks for putting this together and weighing in on each individual destinations potential return. My own thoughts on the markets yet to return, both completely and for certain carriers:

BOS - agree that DL will eventually be back. My guess is they'll try and beat AA to the punch by coming back by late May or into June, but would probably wait no longer than August 17 to come back. Not sure if WN will cede the market to AA and DL, especially considering all the new markets they've announced over the past year or so. jetBlue seems like a distant possibility now, but as more 220s roll in, maybe it could happen.

LAX - agreed, it is pretty incredible that SEA has managed to survive while AA and DL have zero-ed out LAX through the remainder of the year. The route must have had a huge business contingent in order to survive, especially to be supported thrice daily at one point. Of course, that market segment has dried out, hence the route's disappearance. Part of me thinks one of them will be back once the market conditions favor it, but I fear a ULCC will bite first, knocking AA and/or DL out of the picture. NK would be the most likely in my opinion, but the F9 dartboard could strike also. WN would be a decent option, but not sure if they want to cannibalize their DEN, PHX, and LAS connections, which already provide good connectivity to the Basin. Again, would love to have B6 or even AS on the route, but the segment is probably pretty far off their radar to be considered viable. Hoping that someone attempts the route by the end of the year.

JFK - really surprised DL hasn't brought this route back yet. They are running quite a few desirable VFR nonstops out of JFK to places like ACC, DSS, and LOS which are popular out of CMH. There are some token feeder flights currently running, but they're all to places where they compete head-to-head with jetBlue. With the AA/B6 hook up, there might be incentive to beat DL to the punch ala BOS. Hoping this route also returns by summer.

RDU - pretty long shot of this route ever coming back, particularly with Delta. F9 might give it another shot, now that there is no competition. Or if B6 makes an attempt at the route and Delta will be back in a heartbeat!

SFO - personally, I would love nothing more than for United to surprise us all and resume the route this year. Considering it was only a recent addition and many of the routes it fed have also gone away, it's probably not very likely. But if domestic tourist travel remains strong through the rest of the year, SFO could be a nice gateway to several West Coast attractions. My guess is we'll have to wait until 2022 to see the route again, at the earliest.

The other YTD routes have been summed up pretty well. Hoping to continue to build on flight activity from CMH and LCK as things improve.

flyCMH

Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:24 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
DL's CMH-SLC has been pulled from the April schedule. CMH-ATL goes back to all-mainline, though (using 4/14, 5x 717, 1x 738).

That's a shame. I was looking forward to crossing the route off the list of those yet to return. There goes my theory also on why there is an E75 on the route through March, if the April schedule has it nearly all 717! Maybe May will have better things in store for Delta from CMH.

flyCMH

Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:26 pm

Lastly, the CRAA board meeting minutes are out:

https://columbusairports.com/storage/pr ... 3-2021.pdf

Nothing too extraordinary located there within. Overall traffic for both CMH and LCK is down 63% compared to January 2020. Load factors remain depressed, with Spirit being the best performer at near 70%.

Moonship

Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:30 pm

Based on the recent SDF and MKE to LAX adds, I'd bet NK would be the most likely to give it a shot. Although there's a ton of connectivity out if LAS so it's all about the O/D to Socal.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

CMHtraveler

Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:16 pm

News from today’s OAG thread:

- AA CMH-JFK is scheduled to resume in May using YX metal.
- WN CMH-STL return has been pushed back to May.

Moonship wrote:
Based on the recent SDF and MKE to LAX adds, I'd bet NK would be the most likely to give it a shot. Although there's a ton of connectivity out if LAS so it's all about the O/D to Socal.

As a frequent user of the pre-pandemic AA LAX flights, I foresee continuing to complain about smaller airports having nonstop LAX service while CMH does not until someone picks it up. Per the FAA MKE had 3.3 million emplacements in 2019. SDF had 2.0 million. CMH was more than double at 4.4 million. Come on NK (or anyone) what are you waiting for?

brooklynchris13

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:43 pm

CMHtraveler wrote:
News from today’s OAG thread:

- AA CMH-JFK is scheduled to resume in May using YX metal.
- WN CMH-STL return has been pushed back to May.

Moonship wrote:

As a frequent user of the pre-pandemic AA LAX flights, I foresee continuing to complain about smaller airports having nonstop LAX service while CMH does not until someone picks it up. Per the FAA MKE had 3.3 million emplacements in 2019. SDF had 2.0 million. CMH was more than double at 4.4 million. Come on NK (or anyone) what are you waiting for?

Thanks everyone for the summary of recent changes. One perhaps under appreciated change to the situation regarding west coast flying is that Alaska is now showing up as an option on AA.com for flights to Seattle. I do not know how many other destinations offer the AS via SEA option, but I would expect that does have some impact given that AA fliers get miles and credit for using AA. I picked this up on a recent dummy booking effort, will try to see what other places it applies.

SkyVoice

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:45 pm

More news from today's OAG thread: Delta will start 1X/Day flights between CVG & SEA beginning in June, continuing through the rest of the year! I hope this service is here to stay.

That's the good news. Here comes the bad.

The Brent Spence Bridge, which carries Interstates 71 & 75 across the Ohio River between Cincinnati & Covington, is undergoing required maintenance & repainting through November! Expect lane closures & long delays if you are using that bridge. Time to dust off the alternate routes that you used late last year when the Brent Spence Bridge was closed for repairs for two months following a fiery crash involving two semis. And, time to impress upon our people in Congress & the Senate that it's WAY PAST time to build a replacement bridge! :hissyfit:

Meanwhile, enjoy the warmer weather! - SkyVoice

DeltaRules

Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:36 am

Talk in the DL Network Thread is LAX may be very gate constrained for some time due to only having T2, hardstands at T3 for RJs, and a handful of gates at TBIT. I wonder if this will factor into why CMH-LAX (and others) has/have been dropped.

cledaybuck

Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:02 am

SkyVoice wrote:
More news from today's OAG thread: Delta will start 1X/Day flights between CVG & SEA beginning in June, continuing through the rest of the year! I hope this service is here to stay.

That's the good news. Here comes the bad.

The Brent Spence Bridge, which carries Interstates 71 & 75 across the Ohio River between Cincinnati & Covington, is undergoing required maintenance & repainting through November! Expect lane closures & long delays if you are using that bridge. Time to dust off the alternate routes that you used late last year when the Brent Spence Bridge was closed for repairs for two months following a fiery crash involving two semis. And, time to impress upon our people in Congress & the Senate that it's WAY PAST time to build a replacement bridge! :hissyfit:

Meanwhile, enjoy the warmer weather! - SkyVoice

I wish 275 didn’t go so far west. It is still a much more reliable route to CVG for me.

DeltaRules

Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:23 am

Looks like AS CMH-SEA goes back to daily the week of 3/23 on a 739.

Calmflier

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:11 am

RE: UA CMH-SFO -
I have a question about the route; not wanting to start a rumor.
I was on UA's website last night looking at options for travel to SFO
between 9/8 and 9/12/21, right after Labor Day weekend.

I used the "Advanced Search" feature and the first flight to come up
was a nonstop - UA Flt. 1770, an A319 leaving CMH at 6:51 PM and arriving
SFO just after 9 PM. It was listed as the "preferred" schedule. I didn't look
for an eastbound return nonstop trip since we want a late night red-eye departure
and there mere no nonstops showing at that time, so I'll probably book a 777 thru
Chicago with a conx. from there to CMH. But regarding the westbound nonstop,
is this for real, or did they just leave it as a placeholder . There are seat maps for it;
I just don't know about booking it for fear it will get canceled before we go. Any thoughts?
I really hope it's for real - Thanks.

flyCMH

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:09 pm

Calmflier wrote:

for an eastbound return nonstop trip since we want a late night red-eye departure
and there mere no nonstops showing at that time, so I'll probably book a 777 thru
is this for real, or did they just leave it as a placeholder . There are seat maps for it;
I just don't know about booking it for fear it will get canceled before we go. Any thoughts?

I hope it's for real as well, but definitely just a placeholder for now. Most airline schedules aren't being finalized until roughly 2 months out.

That being said, the more people booking the nonstop, the more confidence United might have to restart it. September schedules are likely going to end up pretty different from what's showing now anyways, so I would expect United to amend your booking anyways. If it were me, I would probably book the nonstop with the expectation of a schedule change.

flyCMH

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Looks like a Pilatus PC-12 landed on its nose this morning on 28L:

https://www.10tv.com/
https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/n ... l-airport/

Plane was en route from Louisville's Bowman Field. Did some circles around the airfield and then came in:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CNS ... /KLOU/KCMH

flyinryan99

Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:42 pm

flyCMH wrote:
Looks like a Pilatus PC-12 landed on its nose this morning on 28L:

https://www.10tv.com/
https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/n ... l-airport/

Plane was en route from Louisville's Bowman Field. Did some circles around the airfield and then came in:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CNS ... /KLOU/KCMH

Yeah, it was a Planesense PC-12...sounds like a possible nose gear pin issue.

CMHtraveler

Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:19 am

DeltaRules wrote:
Looks like AS CMH-SEA goes back to daily the week of 3/23 on a 739.

That’s certainly good news. It seems like we’ve lost the OAG thread at least for now so these frequency changes will be harder to keep up with.

A reminder that tomorrow CMH becomes one of the first WN cities to see the MAX back in action with the 4:10 scheduled arrival from PHX. WN’s HOU daily service also resumes tomorrow.

atbPy

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:51 am

Glad to see the Max back at CMH!

flyCMH

Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:36 pm

Spirit is opening stations in STL and PNS, the latter of which will result in new 4x weekly service to CMH starting June 10:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/spirit-ai ... ce=twitter

Glad to see NK bringing additional flights into CMH. That'll bring Spirit up to 8 destinations and 9 peak daily flights, if schedules hold for June. Hoping for continued, measured growth from them.

CMHtraveler

Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:55 pm

flyCMH wrote:
Spirit is opening stations in STL and PNS, the latter of which will result in new 4x weekly service to CMH starting June 10:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/spirit-ai ... ce=twitter

Glad to see NK bringing additional flights into CMH. That'll bring Spirit up to 8 destinations and 9 peak daily flights, if schedules hold for June. Hoping for continued, measured growth from them.

Another dot on the map, wonderful! Florida seems to continue doing well despite the pandemic, which should only continue to grow with time and vaccines. I noticed both F9 and NK are running a321s to MCO this week!

I also noticed STL got LAX... (*gestures at CMH route map and taps watch*)

flyCMH

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:45 pm

CMHtraveler wrote:
I noticed both F9 and NK are running a321s to MCO this week!

Nice. Also,I hadn't realized that NK bumped FLL and MCO to double daily in March to take advantage of Spring Break traffic.

CMHtraveler wrote:
I also noticed STL got LAX... (*gestures at CMH route map and taps watch*)

Seriously. One would think that a route that support 3x daily service fairly recently would be able to attract at least one ULCC. That being said, I'd rather wait and get AA or DL back than get NK and potentially dissuade the former 2 from restarting the route.

CMHFlyer

Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:44 pm

Calmflier wrote:

Noticed the same thing today when looking for flights to the bay area. Played around and looks like it is bookable starting Thursday, 5/6.

SkyVoice

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:45 am

A recent article by the Cranky Flyer regarding Delta's hubs & focus cities in general, and CVG in particular, caught my attention. Then, a few of the comments about CVG got me to thinking. Delta pulled a lot of flights from their former CVG hub a couple of months ago, but they never gave the final impression (not to me, at least) that they had the intention of turning CVG into just another spoke, with service only to their hubs. The announcement of the return of CVG-SEA service in June shows that Delta is still interested in serving the CVG market (see my post back on March 2).

Here's a link to the article . . . https://crankyflier.com/2021/03/09/delt ... /#comments

So, as far as Delta is concerned, what can we call CVG now? It's not just a spoke, but it's not exactly a focus city right now, either. So, I came up with a new designation. I call it a "City of Interest," or COI. It's to designate service by a carrier at an airport that is not a full-fledged focus city, but has more actual and planned service than a simple spoke would have.

So, what are Delta's plans for CVG? I don't know, they're being COI about it!

GSP psgr

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:09 am

SkyVoice wrote:
A recent article by the Cranky Flyer regarding Delta's hubs & focus cities in general, and CVG in particular, caught my attention. Then, a few of the comments about CVG got me to thinking. Delta pulled a lot of flights from their former CVG hub a couple of months ago, but they never gave the final impression (not to me, at least) that they had the intention of turning CVG into just another spoke, with service only to their hubs. The announcement of the return of CVG-SEA service in June shows that Delta is still interested in serving the CVG market (see my post back on March 2).

Here's a link to the article . . . https://crankyflier.com/2021/03/09/delt ... /#comments

So, as far as Delta is concerned, what can we call CVG now? It's not just a spoke, but it's not exactly a focus city right now, either. So, I came up with a new designation. I call it a "City of Interest," or COI. It's to designate service by a carrier at an airport that is not a full-fledged focus city, but has more actual and planned service than a simple spoke would have.

In the past I have referred to PIT as a "special station" for AA/US (even though it's basically just a spoke now), I'm not sure if that's a better fit for what CVG is to Delta. CVG-CDG is going to come back before PIT-LHR will, for several reasons. I do wonder what DL will do with CVG-CDG when the 763 fleet leaves-probably a 764, but what comes after that is anyone's guess. Maybe Boeing will have got their house in order and figured out what they want MoM to be by then (I wouldn't hold my breath).

Anyways, with the fur starting to fly at AUS, I wonder if DL would take a flyer on CVG-AUS again once 'Rona has left the building; I also think AA or DL could probably make money on a once daily CMH-AUS with a 70 seater in normal times (same for PIT and CLE). WN does fly AUS-IND seasonally; I could almost see them doing the same with CMH-AUS.

AirportRival

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:15 pm

I personally don't think Delta knows what it wants out of it's "Focus Cities". It seems to me that they are more concerned with looking like the cool hip airline that focuses on the cool hip cities than they are about serving their most loyal customers and building on that loyalty base.

As a Cincinnatian I've loved Delta's far above average service levels at CVG but who knows what we'll get from them in the next year. I was going to get a SkyMiles card because my current travel card is trash but I think I'll be holding off on that now.

My hope is that this will give Ultimate Air Shuttle the opportunity to grow even more and become a true hometown airline.

DeltaRules

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:41 pm

AirportRival wrote:
I personally don't think Delta knows what it wants out of it's "Focus Cities". It seems to me that they are more concerned with looking like the cool hip airline that focuses on the cool hip cities than they are about serving their most loyal customers and building on that loyalty base.

As a Cincinnatian I've loved Delta's far above average service levels at CVG but who knows what we'll get from them in the next year. I was going to get a SkyMiles card because my current travel card is trash but I think I'll be holding off on that now.

My hope is that this will give Ultimate Air Shuttle the opportunity to grow even more and become a true hometown airline.

If you look at the cities they designated, you have a huge tech hub (SJC), an airport which somehow continues to draw focus cities from airlines (RDU), and two of America's current darling, pet cities which don't seem to have much draw other than, as you said, being cool and hip for (reasons) (AUS, BNA). I think their current definition of focus city is to be an airline everybody wants to fly in a trendy city (in the cases of AUS and BNA) with no promises of additional service.

There could be multiple reasons why they added CVG-SEA back: a) they were already on the route and are returning it to its CVG network, b) the value of SEA in their current plans, c) throwing the block against AS, who added it in response to DL adding CMH-SEA, d) all of the above.

a320flyer

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:05 pm

SkyVoice wrote:

It really still is a focus city per traditional definitions. DL's designation is more of a marketing/investment indicator that has little to do with actual service levels. CVG's officials have this spot-on: https://local12.com/news/local/cvg-to-r ... icials-say

None of the routes have really been "cut", no one (not even DL) knows what will return once widespread travel is possible again. At this point it's unlikely that all travel will be back strong until 2022 (especially international). We're looking at spring/summer 2022 for most routes to be feasible again. Rumors are that the DL pilot base was already slated for closure before the pandemic began because of retirements, COVID just pushed that timeline forward. Ironically, there are more 737 flights right now than before the pandemic.

atbPy

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:09 pm

It looks like WN6007 took off from CMH to PHX and returned in 20 minutes. Does anyone know why? I used to have an ExpertFlyer subscription, but don't anymore until my business travel picks up again.

CMHtraveler

Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:13 pm

atbPy wrote:
It looks like WN6007 took off from CMH to PHX and returned in 20 minutes. Does anyone know why? I used to have an ExpertFlyer subscription, but don't anymore until my business travel picks up again.

That’s one of the newly restarted MAX flights. On FR24 it looks like it got up to 24,000 feet and then made a quick u-turn back to CMH. Should be good for some irresponsible media fodder if word gets out.

AirportRival

Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:17 pm

Some CVG news... Runway 09/27 will be closed for 6 months for repaving, rewiring, and relighting. Runways 18R/36L and 18C/36C will also be closing at periods of the work. So if you're a spotter at CVG it looks like most of the action will be on the runway closest to the viewing area for most of the summer

RAM787

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:22 pm

atbPy wrote:

CMH employee here. It was a medical emergency shortly after take off. Passenger was taken off with EMS and flight departed shortly after.

atbPy

Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:26 pm

RAM787 wrote:
atbPy wrote:

CMH employee here. It was a medical emergency shortly after take off. Passenger was taken off with EMS and flight departed shortly after.

That sucks for that passenger. Hopefully they are ok. Thanks for the information!

flyCMH

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:46 pm

CMHFlyer wrote:
Calmflier wrote:

Noticed the same thing today when looking for flights to the bay area. Played around and looks like it is bookable starting Thursday, 5/6.

We can certainly hope. United's May schedule looks like it's just a placeholder (e.g. still shows 8x daily CMH-ORD). The fact that they haven't totally zero-ed it out yet ala AA and DL to LAX could be a good sign, though,

FlydetroitJets

Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:08 pm

Does anyone know what's onboard the 2 Antonov 124's that have visited Toledo yesterday and today? Both have originated out of Shanghai.

CMHtraveler

Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:03 am

New renderings have been released of the project to restore the original CMH terminal for use as an aviation museum and hall of fame! Can’t wait to see this beautiful building be brought back to life.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/new ... WBkckDMHw0

flyCMH

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:56 am

CMHtraveler wrote:
New renderings have been released of the project to restore the original CMH terminal for use as an aviation museum and hall of fame! Can’t wait to see this beautiful building be brought back to life.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/new ... WBkckDMHw0

Likewise, I'm really excited for the project. I hope they can come up with the necessary funds to make it a reality. The historic terminal is a nice piece of art-deco architecture and an aviation museum is such a perfect use for the building. More information on the organization and the project can be found on their webpage and YouTube:

https://ohioairandspace.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gELwjPxSIJQ

flyinryan99

Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:58 pm

FlydetroitJets wrote:
Does anyone know what's onboard the 2 Antonov 124's that have visited Toledo yesterday and today? Both have originated out of Shanghai.

I was told 96 Tons of steel for a company up in Michigan. I can't remember the name of the company off hand.

Quite a 24 hours for TOL...2 Antonov 124s and Prime Air started operations. Hearing forecasting looks good for more flights. We shall see.
https://www.toledoblade.com/local/trans ... 0210318110

Amazon Air has begun daily air cargo flights to Eugene F. Kranz Toledo Express Airport and an associated package-handling facility is expected to employ more than 50 people, Amazon and the Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority announced Thursday.

Amazon’s first local flight arrived at the airport at 10:36 p.m. Wednesday and departed at 8:57 a.m. Thursday, the port authority said. The roundtrip flight using a Boeing 737-800 cargo jet originated at Lakeland, Fla., according to flightradar24.com.

The package-handling facility will occupy a 65,000 square-foot, port authority owned building at 2 Air Cargo Pkwy. that is part of the former BAX Global air-cargo hub, the agency said. It will be managed by an Amazon logistics partner, Pinnacle Logistics.

“The port authority has been working diligently over the past several months to prepare the facility and the surrounding area for the new air cargo operation,” according to an agency statement. “Completed renovations include the installation of 20 new LED high-mast ramp lights, resurfacing and LED light installation of the building’s parking lot, reconfiguring gates and fencing, and constructing additional truck docks.”

People interested in seeking jobs at the facility should visit the pinnaclelogistics.com website, the port authority advised.

Toledo becomes Amazon Air’s second destination in Ohio, after flights serving Wilmington Air Park in southwest Ohio. The company’s air network added Fairbanks, Alaska, to its map on Wednesday night as well.

“These latest additions to Amazon Air’s operations will provide more capacity and enable fast, free shipping for customers in Ohio and throughout the region,” said Jessica Pawl, an Amazon spokesman.

The port authority’s contract with Amazon and Pinnacle includes an annual lease for the building at $4.50 per square foot per year, with annual Consumer Price Index adjustments not to exceed 2.5 percent commencing Jan. 1, 2022; aircraft landing fees of $1.22 per 1,000 pounds based on each aircraft’s certified maximum gross landing weight; and apron fees of $190 per airplane per 24 hours.

Besides that revenue, the air cargo operation will generate business for fixed-base operators who provide fuel and other aviation services at the airport and require trucking operations to and from the facility, said Thomas Winston, the port authority’s president and chief executive officer.

“Our job is economic development,” Mr. Winston said. “This has far-reaching implications for other businesses in our community.”

The port authority’s board of directors in November had appropriated $1.7 million from the agency’s general fund to prepare the building for use by the then-undisclosed occupant. With TronAir, a manufacturer of airfield tugs and other aviation-related equipment, occupying a larger building at 1 Air Cargo Pkwy., the entire former BAX facility is again in use, Mr. Winston said.

The air cargo operation follows Amazon’s recent construction of major warehouses on the former Southwyck Shopping Center site in southwest Toledo and in the Crossroads of America area of Rossford.

FlydetroitJets

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

flyinryan99 wrote:
FlydetroitJets wrote:

I was told 96 Tons of steel for a company up in Michigan. I can't remember the name of the company off hand.

Oh wow! 96 tons of Steel!
Do you know when RA-82044 is set to leave Toledo?

AirportRival

Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:33 pm

The Cincinnati Business Courier had an article talking about routes that will be getting a bump in frequency as well as ones that are returning this Spring to CVG. https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/ ... o-cvg.html

- Delta has increased service to Orlando to three-times-a-day during the spring

- Delta has increased service to Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Fort Myers to twice daily during the spring.

- Vacation Express began service to Cancun on Feb. 14, with service to Punta Cana in operation during March, followed by Montego Bay and Cabo San Lucas in May.

- Frontier restarts service to Cancun and New Orleans in March and Atlanta in April. Check Frontier’s website for exact availability.

- Southwest will start daily service to Phoenix, Tampa and Orlando during March and April. Check Southwest’s website for exact availability.

- American will restart service to Washington-Dulles International Airport on April 2.

- Looking ahead, Sun Country Airlines begins service to Minneapolis in May, while Alaska Airlines begins service to Seattle in May as well.

- Allegiant has resumed service to Denver already and will resume service to Myrtle Beach on May 7 and Norfolk, Va., and Providence, R.I. on May 28.

AirportRival

Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:38 pm

There is a proposal to redevelop the original terminal building at LUK into a boutique hotel with a restaurant and event space.
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/ ... pment.html

I love this idea and hope it happens but it will take a lot of approvals to get it going as mentioned in this follow up article.
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/ ... pment.html

Currently the terminal sits mostly empty. The history of the building needs to be celebrated and this is one of the best ways for that to happen in my opinion.

Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:04 pm

I know this is extremely early but, Starting OCT 31, 2021 AA has scheduled a 319 on one of the 6 flights CMH-LGA, CMH-MIA also goes to 4X daily on the same day. Saturday flights CMH-CUN resume on DEC 18 2021.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos